PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Montreal WILL be in MLS 2012

SPARTACUS
11-21-2009, 12:53 AM
http://www.24thminute.com/2009/11/its-calld-football-daily-mls-cup.html

24th Minute says it's so....listen to the broadcast 16:00 minute mark...

I think we can safely say this is now the #1 sport in Canada. :drum::flare::canada:

NF-FC
11-21-2009, 07:16 AM
^ #1 summer sport?

vweyonlah
11-21-2009, 07:21 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!!

:canada:

ForestGlade
11-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

ensco
11-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Not a single news outlet has the story. So it's still rumour, not news, for now.

denime
11-21-2009, 07:49 AM
^^ Maybe,but as you know we don't have rumor forum/section,and that's why news forum is the best place to start rumor thread,no?

ensco
11-21-2009, 08:16 AM
^Oh I don't care where you put it, I'm commenting on the substance of it.

Redcoe15
11-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Well, to be fair, that was the place that reported Vancouver and Portland would be admitted to MLS earlier this year. I didn't believe it, but it was right on the mark.

Oldtimer
11-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Beckham's contract also contains a clause enabling him to buy into an MLS franchise next year. His desire to stay in North America is so strong that negotiations have already started with a view to investing in the Montreal Impact, who hope to join the league in 2012.http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_beckham-stayed-at-galaxy-so-that-kids-received-normal-schooling_1314652

Beckham being the Limp Act's " Drew Carey?" It makes them even easier to dislike. :D

Oldtimer
11-21-2009, 02:51 PM
^^ Maybe,but as you know we don't have rumor forum/section,and that's why news forum is the best place to start rumor thread,no?

It's best to add "rumour" in the thread title. I've added it.

TFCRegina
11-21-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_beckham-stayed-at-galaxy-so-that-kids-received-normal-schooling_1314652

Beckham being the Limp Act's " Drew Carey?" It makes them even easier to dislike. :D

I hope we can throw beer at him if that's the case.

CretanBull
11-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Could anything be better than that? Its pretty much the only way to make the most hateable team more hateable....

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Montreal in? thats a major disappointment....but on the good side they will Fold like the Manic within 5 years...heres hoping!!

TFCRegina
11-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Montreal in? thats a major disappointment....but on the good side they will Fold like the Manic within 5 years...heres hoping!!

Yeah considering the Impact have been around forever and Saputo has really deep pockets...That's not happening.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah considering the Impact have been around forever and Saputo has really deep pockets...That's not happening.

The left the league twice (USL) for financial difficulties..so yes its possible.

VPjr
11-21-2009, 06:18 PM
This is not a rumour. They will definitely be introduced as the 19th member of MLS at First Kick 2010.

And no, they aren't going to have any issues staying in MLS. This is a very financially sound organization with strong provincial government support.

I'm glad to see this get done. Now onto to figuring out what is happening with the USL/TOA (aka NASL) leagues and how many new Canadian pro clubs will emerge in those leagues (and who the owners will be).

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-21-2009, 06:28 PM
This is not a rumour. They will definitely be introduced as the 19th member of MLS at First Kick 2010.

And no, they aren't going to have any issues staying in MLS. This is a very financially sound organization with strong provincial government support.

I'm glad to see this get done. Now onto to figuring out what is happening with the USL/TOA (aka NASL) leagues and how many new Canadian pro clubs will emerge in those leagues (and who the owners will be).

a pro team with government support? thats sounds fishy right off.. as far as the usl/new league no canadian cities would want to be part of such
a disaster..ok the ti cats owner and owner of a new Ottawa cfl team are thinking of jumping on board but really do you want cfl teams running a soccer franchise when they cant run teams in their own league...NOT, that would be the worst thing for this sport is be be close to the cfl farce.

TFC07
11-21-2009, 06:33 PM
This is great news if it's true. Now we can have "Soccer night in Canada" on CBC. Great news for Canada soccer as well. Let's hope other Canadian cities (Ottawa for an example) get an USL team.

billyfly
11-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Memories of Montreal:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/billyfly21/SaputoStadium.jpg

Redpunkfiddle
11-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Memories of Montreal:

You know, my best memory if that night was being up against the railing after the victory presentation and taking in the scent of that cool, damp, grass.

Our rainy night wins are going to be sweeeeet er starting next year

billyfly
11-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I have so many good memories of that night.

pekduck
11-21-2009, 08:24 PM
spoke with Don Garber and Drew Carey today, Montreal is not confirmed at all. It is being pursued as a prospective expansion post 2012 as 19th team. As of today, still 50/50.

TFCRegina
11-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Memories of Montreal:

My pictures of the party that went on as the security wouldn't let us leave the stadium are on my cellphone...my battery died on my normal camera on the march past Stade Olympique...

It was my first TFC game and completely unforgettable.

billyfly
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I still have never seen one of me and the banner. I know some people took pictures but I have never seen them. I was drunk (and happy) as a skunk.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-21-2009, 11:07 PM
This is great news if it's true. Now we can have "Soccer night in Canada" on CBC. Great news for Canada soccer as well. Let's hope other Canadian cities (Ottawa for an example) get an USL team.

the way that will happem is if all teams are MLS only cbc, as bad as they are are broadcasting events wont even bother with USL..you can take that to the bank...and there is no guarntee the will do the caps either, the caps might have their own broadcasting setup ( sportsnet)?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
spoke with Don Garber and Drew Carey today, Montreal is not confirmed at all. It is being pursued as a prospective expansion post 2012 as 19th team. As of today, still 50/50.

thank god...its not set in stone...there is still time for saputo to screw it up again...there are better soccer markets then Montreal..Gettinga second team in New York should be higher on the MLS agenda, as well as
St LOUIS, Minnesota, San Diego, they should all jump ahead of Montreal in the entry position.

WHITEY
11-22-2009, 12:04 AM
thank god...its not set in stone...there is still time for saputo to screw it up again...there are better soccer markets then Montreal..Gettinga second team in New York should be higher on the MLS agenda, as well as
St LOUIS, Minnesota, San Diego, they should all jump ahead of Montreal in the entry position.

What is wrong with you? No, seriously dude, what is wrong with you?

TFCRegina
11-22-2009, 12:06 AM
What is wrong with you? No, seriously dude, what is wrong with you?

He blames a screwed up childhood on De Ro. :facepalm:

Canary Canuck
11-22-2009, 12:52 AM
The irrational blather coming out of Mighty never ceases to amaze me

VPjr
11-22-2009, 12:57 AM
pekduck....what are they going to tell you? They aren't going to say "yeah, its a done deal?" to you at MLS Cup weekend.

it's going to happen. book it.

too bad that ruins your weekend mighty_torontofc. you are an ODD dude

SPARTACUS
11-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Ummmmmm actually they will have a shit load of money behind them...also they will be attracting certain french players, but hey wtf do I know.:D

^ #1 summer sport?
Actually once again I will have to educate...2,695,712 people played soccer in Canada last year...ONLY 532,435 registered participants in hockey. The ONLY place hockey is more popular is in the "sticks"! Ummm ya might want to look at attendance for TFC games, Impact game against Mexican club...Are you that fecken ignorant? I dont care what anyone says the registration numbers prove it!!! The only people keeping hockey alive is the last generation...the younger generations all prefer this game! Also Canada has huge immigration numbers, you know what that means, smart guy....football on the brain. Please dont bother arguing with me coz I'll blow you out of the water on this topic. I'll back it up with facts not emotion. Just as I've done with registration numbers.:hump:

No shit dick tracy, where did you leave your squad car...:facepalm: It will be officially announced at the beginning of 2010. This is a leak, but if you want to downplay it and dismiss the inevatable you can also look for the yellow brick road:drinking:Its done and lets just say the French are coming!

Smoke another one...seriously I wonder about some on these boards. You are like clones. Think with logic not emotion. They had over 50,000 at Champions League game...what do you think MLS said after that??? Seriously what do you think, I want to hear it?:facepalm: Are you american by chance? I'm asking because you mentioned all american cities and not one of them have put up Montreals stats as far as attendances, USL championships. So please go ahead enlighten me with your wisdom:rolleyes:

And lastly some of you really need to think before you speak. Do you NOT KNOW what this means for the game in CANADA??? :facepalm:

WHITEY
11-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Ummmmmm actually they will have a shit load of money behind them...also they will be attracting certain french players, but hey wtf do I know.:D

Actually once again I will have to educate...2,695,712 people played soccer in Canada last year...ONLY 532,435 registered participants in hockey. The ONLY place hockey is more popular is in the "sticks"! Ummm ya might want to look at attendance for TFC games, Impact game against Mexican club...Are you that fecken ignorant? I dont care what anyone says the registration numbers prove it!!! The only people keeping hockey alive is the last generation...the younger generations all prefer this game! Also Canada has huge immigration numbers, you know what that means, smart guy....football on the brain. Please dont bother arguing with me coz I'll blow you out of the water on this topic. I'll back it up with facts not emotion. Just as I've done with registration numbers.:hump:

No shit dick tracy, where did you leave your squad car...:facepalm: It will be officially announced at the beginning of 2010. This is a leak, but if you want to downplay it and dismiss the inevatable you can also look for the yellow brick road:drinking:Its done and lets just say the French are coming!

Smoke another one...seriously I wonder about some on these boards. You are like clones. Think with logic not emotion. They had over 50,000 at Champions League game...what do you think MLS said after that??? Seriously what do you think, I want to hear it?:facepalm: Are you american by chance? I'm asking because you mentioned all american cities and not one of them have put up Montreals stats as far as attendances, USL championships. So please go ahead enlighten me with your wisdom:rolleyes:

And lastly some of you really need to think before you speak. Do you NOT KNOW what this means for the game in CANADA??? :facepalm:

It is ONE person that is spewing verbal diarrhea about this topic; most of us realize what it would mean to have Montreal in the league. So please do not lump the rest of us in the same category as the ONE person that, I believe, has a few screws loose.

kodiakTFC
11-22-2009, 01:36 AM
It is ONE person that spewing verbal diarrhea about this topic; most of us realize what it would mean to have Montreal in the league. So please do not lump the rest of us in the same category as the ONE person that, I believe, has a few screws loose.

Most of us just block/ignore this ONE person but he really is the antithesis of intelligence. I have never seen someone be so wrong, so often; it is like is trying to be a moron.

SPARTACUS
11-22-2009, 01:15 PM
My bad I'm not saying YOU ALL are idiots.....just a VERY select few. You guys have been great, very informative, knowledgable fans. You have even welcomed me being a whitecaps supporter. I dont throw shit your way nor do I ever slam the great club of TFC. I respect the game. <3

Carts
11-22-2009, 01:30 PM
A lot of people forget that soccer is indeed the most participated sport in Canada...

For children/families its easy to play anywhere, its cheap in regards to gear & registration, and is a relatively safe sport (compared to others)...

The biggest thing against it is the relatively short season most soccer associations have. Some towns go for only 3-months, while fields sit empty for the rest of the year - I'm not saying soccer in January, but the local seasons could be expanded...

Its nowhere near #1 in regards to money & tv audience, but it is growing every year - with us being a large reason for this. TFC keeps footy on the radar between major competitions & matches...

I have no reason to think it will not continue to grow, especially with Vancouver joining the top league in Canada/USA and Montreal hopefull to follow...

Another thing that footy has going for it is the economy, and the increased focus on health and the weight problem with our countries youth. Soccer is cheap and a great cardio-workout... Its definitely a sport almost anyone can play at the recreational level..

Carts...

Hustle
11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Bring on Montreal. The sooner the better. I look forward to the day we can take 5,000+ to Montreal

shawn6597
11-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Bring on Montreal. The sooner the better. I look forward to the day we can take 5,000+ to Montreal

that would be soo cool but i dont know if that would actually be possible. Once in MLS, i imagine they would be similar to toronto in that they would sell out regularly, esp. against us. I imagine it will be the equivalent of 5000 impact supporters trying to come to BMO, i wouldnt count on us travlling in large number

unless we played at the stade olympique!!!:canada:

SPARTACUS
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
that would be soo cool but i dont know if that would actually be possible. Once in MLS, i imagine they would be similar to toronto in that they would sell out regularly, esp. against us. I imagine it will be the equivalent of 5000 impact supporters trying to come to BMO, i wouldnt count on us travlling in large number

unless we played at the stade olympique!!!:canada:
I will guarantee The Impact and the Whitecaps will have a full section for travelling fans...Realistically we the Whitecaps will have rivalries with Seattle, TFC and the Impact, for now that is. We would encourage you TFC fans to visit BC Place as I'm sure you would like the same. It will just show the world that Canada does support the sport and the fan support speaks volumes. You guys may travel to Montreal 5000 deep due to the relative closeness of the 2 clubs on the map. Just like the Whitecaps and the Sounders... It sure would be nice to see and hear at least a 1000 of you in BC place and vicea versa. TFC fans know how to support their club and colors, we would be honoured to have you guys visit the city and the stadium when the time comes...BTW In no NHL city do you get thousands of fans travelling to a game...:hump:

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-22-2009, 03:59 PM

putting 50,000 in a stadium for a one off match is not that hard when you winning..do you think the same 50,000 would have turned up if Montreal had played away in the first leg and got slaughtered? Not Likely.. Having Montreal will not improve the game that much here...hare fans in winnipeg going to start watching soccer cause montreal has a MLS team..NO..

werewolf
11-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Let's keep this thread to Montreal's potential expansion team, and not personal issues.

arbogast
11-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Let's keep this thread to Montreal's potential expansion team, and not personal issues.

re: Rycroft's rumor that MTL was in and would be anounced this weekend...ummm... the game kicks off in 3 hours, and...not a peep from the Don or anything on the league or Limpact website.

Is this rumor bunk?

TFCRegina
11-22-2009, 05:16 PM
re: Rycroft's rumor that MTL was in and would be anounced this weekend...ummm... the game kicks off in 3 hours, and...not a peep from the Don or anything on the league or Limpact website.

Is this rumor bunk?

Might be the highlight of the half time show. Sorry TEB

arbogast
11-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Might be the highlight of the half time show. Sorry TEB

doing it at halftime would be a great way to announce it actually. well , there's hope yet.

Brooker
11-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Columbus deserves a second team. :hide:

rocker
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM

sure, they can build a second stadium with the 10000 empty seats Crew Stadium has now!

TFCRegina
11-22-2009, 05:43 PM
+1

That way they could both have really bad attendance and fold.

shawn6597
11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
YaY!! three cheers for an unstable league!! :P

SPARTACUS
11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
putting 50,000 in a stadium for a one off match is not that hard when you winning..do you think the same 50,000 would have turned up if Montreal had played away in the first leg and got slaughtered? Not Likely.. Having Montreal will not improve the game that much here...hare fans in winnipeg going to start watching soccer cause montreal has a MLS team..NO..
Actually Winnipeg has a great soccer image...They sold out the Pan Am Games... and the Winnipeg Fury back in CSL days averaged crowds around 9,000-12,000! I know coz I grew up in that city! Ever hear of Folklorama smart guy? How many pavillions from around the world are in Winnipeg? What happens in the middle of summer there for 2 weeks is phenominal in terms of a world soccer tournament! I remembr playing against a team from Russia and one from Thailand in the first rounds! What do you think that means? Diversity, ethnic heritages and alot of people who dont give a shit about hockey. If they did there would be an NHL team back in that city. Your comment sure sure speaks volumes in terms of your lack of knowledge of the game at a grass roots level, let alone the professionals.
Why do so many of you actually speak without thinking or really knowing anything...is it in the water???:facepalm:
Next time you may want to keep your mouth shut and just look like an idiot...Than to actually open it and erase all doubt:D

SPARTACUS
11-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Is this rumor bunk?

I know its tough for some of you to read english or understand it...

Lets try this again since you were too lazy to listen to the link. It will be announced at the kick off to the 2010 season. Might want to stop smoking that Bunk and pay attention:o

TFCRegina
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Actually Winnipeg has a great soccer image...They sold out the Pan Am Games... and the Winnipeg Fury back in CSL days averaged crowds around 9,000-12,000! I know coz I grew up in that city! Ever hear of Folklorama smart guy? How many pavillions from around the world are in Winnipeg? What happens in the middle of summer there for 2 weeks is phenominal in terms of a world soccer tournament! I remembr playing against a team from Russia and one from Thailand in the first rounds! What do you think that means? Diversity, ethnic heritages and alot of people who dont give a shit about hockey. If they did there would be an NHL team back in that city. Your comment sure sure speaks volumes in terms of your lack of knowledge of the game at a grass roots level, let alone the professionals.
Why do so many of you actually speak without thinking or really knowing anything...is it in the water???:facepalm:
Next time you may want to keep your mouth shut and just look like an idiot...Than to actually open it and erase all doubt:D

It's surprising the beliefs people have about ethnic diversity out on the Prairies isn't it?

I often state that while mega cities are more "multi-cultural" they completely have no understanding of how diverse the rural areas of this country are. There are still places in Winnipeg and Regina you can go and hear people speaking Ukrainian or Russian. Not so much in Regina, although people are studying cree a lot these days and it's becoming a more popular language in the vast First Nations population.

Dirk Diggler
11-22-2009, 09:39 PM

Lets try this again since you were too lazy to listen to the link. It will be announced at the kick off to the 2010 season. Might want to stop smoking that Bunk and pay attention:o

Dude ... tone down the hostility. I know there are some pretty stupid posts in this thread but you can make your point without belittling others.

TFC115
11-23-2009, 02:01 AM
[quote=SPARTACUS;797730]Ummmmmm actually they will have a shit load of money behind them...also they will be attracting certain french players, but hey wtf do I know.:D

The numbers are true that more kids do play soccer then hockey but, the reason that is mostly because hockey is now becoming way to expensive for kids to play, while soccer is and always will be a poor mans (or cheap) sport, but lets not get stupid now. Just because the more registration number for soccer doesn't mean that it more popular then hockey. You can go to just about anyone and talk puck, but it wont be same for example the CMNT or qualifying for the world cup for "there country". If you want to look at numbers go look at the t.v ratings for HNIC compared to toronto fc game or something like that. Soccer is really a tv numbers grabbing when the world cup is around....really thats when everyone starts talking about soccer in Canada.Hockey is as it stands right now, the #1 sport for sports fans in Canada, but the real question is when soccer will or ever will catch up.

Fort York Redcoat
11-23-2009, 09:08 AM

Think before you speak indeed. Love your passion for the sport and I assume for our team(?) since you're on our board but if you've been around you'd know the poster you're quoting the most has a diiferent view from most on the boards.

Also "dick tracy" is a valued member of our group at the MLS cup and was asked to report on anything he talked about there with actual people working within MLS and not just with other keyboard experts like ourselves.

I welcome TFC fans from afar and their different angle from not being here but respect goes both ways Sparty. You want to educate not depricate.

ensco
11-23-2009, 09:21 AM
I dispute the statement "soccer is obviously bigger than hockey". Give me a break.

1) Soccer player stats are not representative of interest. They have been much larger than hockey player stats for decades, because hockey is expensive. Every kid in Canada plays soccer, but for the vast majority it's because they have to - their parents or the school makes them do it. This is obviously good for the long term interest of the game, but look at the ratings, 95% of those kids still watch the Leafs at night, not Champions League or TFC.

2) As an industry, in terms of dollars, hockey dwarfs soccer in Canada - it's gotta be 100:1 in favour of hockey.

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 09:34 AM
A lot of people forget that soccer is indeed the most participated sport in Canada...

For children/families its easy to play anywhere, its cheap in regards to gear & registration, and is a relatively safe sport (compared to others)...

The biggest thing against it is the relatively short season most soccer associations have. Some towns go for only 3-months, while fields sit empty for the rest of the year - I'm not saying soccer in January, but the local seasons could be expanded...

Its nowhere near #1 in regards to money & tv audience, but it is growing every year - with us being a large reason for this. TFC keeps footy on the radar between major competitions & matches...

I have no reason to think it will not continue to grow, especially with Vancouver joining the top league in Canada/USA and Montreal hopefull to follow...

Another thing that footy has going for it is the economy, and the increased focus on health and the weight problem with our countries youth. Soccer is cheap and a great cardio-workout... Its definitely a sport almost anyone can play at the recreational level..

Carts...

Agreed. TV numbers and commercial revenues are where the real meat is chewed. As great as it is to hear hwo many kids (and adults) are signing up for soccer in Canada, until the sport becomes more heavyweight commercially it will just be a past time for a lot pf people and not a serious contender.

The World Cup will generate a lot of interest next Summer and TFC really needs to cash in on this interest. I don't mean in terms of ticket sales, they have that covered. But it would be a good time to start focussing on a WINNING RUN so that all those people who only get excited about the sport once every four years get their head turned by TFC and then some of them may stay interested. It shouldn't be too hard to double the TFC tv ratings for matches based on the world cup, if the team is getting it done on the pitch. I'm not pointing at Preki here, god knows he has just joined and needs time and assistance, but MLSE should really be looking at next summer and thinking "time to grow the sport big time". To that end, they need to throw everything at Preki that he asks for in terms of help (not saying they won't or haven't already) and indulge in some smart marketing designed to capture the World Cup fans and point them to TFC.

Vancouver needs to do something similar - cash in on their imminent arrival in MLS during the World Cup.

In fact, TFC and Vancouver might want to get some joint TV commercials going on during the world cup to say "hey look, Canada has MLS teams, they're going to be rivals AND taking on the best teams in the US *cough Beckham cough*, and you can watch them every week on tv or come down and see the games live".

If we still have Guevara then play that card too - "TFC has a player at the world Cup". Same goes for Vancouver if they can claim the same thing.

And also plug the Canada Cup. It might only be a few matches once a year but people just don't know about it outside of the existing fan base of each team. Domestically, from a rivalry point of view, it doesn't get any bigger than that for soccer in Canada. PLUG IT IN THE WORLD CUP.

And if/when Mtl join the league, I'd really like to see some Canada only tv ads that plug the three Canadian teams and the Canadian rivalry.

NF-FC
11-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Congratulations, you've won the arrogant prick of the year award!

Everyone knows soccer is the number one participation sport, you're not special for pointing that out. My point is that soccer is still way behind hockey and even Canadian football in terms of being a spectator sport. I wish soccer was the number one sport but it's not there yet.

arbogast
11-23-2009, 09:39 AM

oh I understand it, and just so you understand it, that's NOT what was originally posted on his Metro News Blog. he said it would be announced this weekend, it wasn't, and he's since changed his blog entry. oh and BTW, you can take your horseshit attitude and shove it. you're in BC? shouldn't you be supporting the SHitecaps anyway?

Redcoe15
11-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Ben has just updated his scoop (http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/sports/article/376810--after-much-time-montreal-appears-ready-to-enter-mls). And with this line:

Three independent sources have confirmed that Montreal has agreed on the $35-million US expansion fee and the team will be announced this March.

Oldtimer
11-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Some legs to the rumour:

Major League Soccer would like Montreal to become its 19th team in 2012, if it can get a stadium remodeled.
MLS commissioner Don Garber said Sunday night at the MLS Cup title match that Montreal is a strong candidate for the next round of expansion after Vancouver, British Columbia, and Portland, Ore., enter the league in 2011.

The only existing, soccer-ready stadium in Montreal is 14,000-seat Saputo Stadium. That's home to potential MLS owner Joey Saputo's team in a second-division league.
Garber says the league is working with the government of Quebec to find a funding plan for the needed remodeling to Saputo Stadium.

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2009/11/23/ap/sports/soccer/soc_mls_montreal.txt

It's not done yet, though, until the stadium issue is resolved.

Redcoe15
11-23-2009, 09:50 AM
^^ That should be a given, seeing as how the Quebec government sponsors the Impact on their jerseys.

SPARTACUS
11-23-2009, 11:08 AM
:(
oh I understand it, and just so you understand it, that's NOT what was originally posted on his Metro News Blog. he said it would be announced this weekend, it wasn't, and he's since changed his blog entry. oh and BTW, you can take your horseshit attitude and shove it. you're in BC? shouldn't you be supporting the SHitecaps anyway?

Hmmmm Shitecaps huh,,,Has Toronto ever won a major tophy in North America. No.
The Whitecaps have won the NASL championship...they actually beat the NY Cosmos one of the most famous clubs in North American history. Its funny how ignorant some truly are. You cant argue worth a shit so you TRY and belittle someone or who they support? Your lack of intelligence and class shows your true worth. No one changed their blog...this news came out of the 24th minute...It was interview nota blog.:picard:

The Whitecaps are coming the Impact are coming...for anyone on this board thinks this is not a GOOD thing for the game in this country is a complete joke. For those of you who continue to bash these clubs (just for the sake of not being able to argue) has no real history of the game in Canada.

Toronto has yet to do anything for the history of the game...Yes you have great fans, a nice stadium but you have yet to produce any quality. A Canadian Nutrilte Championship....wheeeeee. Big Deal. You were given that trophy by a 2nd class Impact squad on the day. I know truth hurts huh:(:D

***The record home attendance for a Whitecaps game was on June 20, 1983. 60,342 came to watch the caps take on the Seattle Sounders in the first game at BC Place Stadium. It is also the largest crowd to ever see a club soccer match in Canada. That year they averaged over 32,000 a game***
***ONLY North American Championship to be won by a CANADIAN Club, the Vancouver Whitecaps in 1979***

Now riddle me this what has TFC done? What significant trophy or record have they secured? Truth hurts huh.:( Dont ever bash the game in this country and dont ever bash the club that put soccer on the map in this country. Learn your history of the game before you speak.

Fort York Redcoat
11-23-2009, 02:40 PM

The Whitecaps have won the NASL championship...they actually beat the NY Cosmos one of the most famous clubs in North American history. Its funny how ignorant some truly are. You cant argue worth a shit so you TRY and belittle someone or who they support? Your lack of intelligence and class shows your true worth. No one changed their blog...this news came out of the 24th minute...It was interview nota blog.:picard:

The Whitecaps are coming the Impact are coming...for anyone on this board thinks this is not a GOOD thing for the game in this country is a complete joke. For those of you who continue to bash these clubs (just for the sake of not being able to argue) has no real history of the game in Canada.

Toronto has yet to do anything for the history of the game...Yes you have great fans, a nice stadium but you have yet to produce any quality. A Canadian Nutrilte Championship....wheeeeee. Big Deal. You were given that trophy by a 2nd class Impact squad on the day. I know truth hurts huh:(:D

***The record home attendance for a Whitecaps game was on June 20, 1983. 60,342 came to watch the caps take on the Seattle Sounders in the first game at BC Place Stadium. It is also the largest crowd to ever see a club soccer match in Canada. That year they averaged over 32,000 a game***
***ONLY North American Championship to be won by a CANADIAN Club, the Vancouver Whitecaps in 1979***

Now riddle me this what has TFC done? What significant trophy or record have they secured? Truth hurts huh.:( Dont ever bash the game in this country and dont ever bash the club that put soccer on the map in this country. Learn your history of the game before you speak.

Oh so you're a west coast troll come to educate? Spare us.

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes, and the Whitecaps of the 70s was not the same Whitecaps on the pitch today. So you're clinging to past glories of a team that no longer exists. Thanks for coming out.

And regardless of us being beat by a 2nd Class Impact squad, we still won. If the Whitecaps were so good, they should have won by a couple more goals in other games, or maybe they could have tied or beat Toronto when they were on the road. Except they didn't. Which means they didn't win the Tournament. Which means they weren't the best team. Case closed.

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
In addition to that, the Whitecaps of today have no claim at all to the Whitecaps of the 70s. The Whitecaps of today are the 86ers, and adopted the Whitecaps name in 2001, which means it went over a decade not being the Whitecaps and not being part of that legacy.

You claiming the NASL mantle is akin to the San Jose Earthquakes claiming the titles that were won in the early 2000s by the team which is now Houston.

Rudi
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM

I've forgotten more about soccer in this country than you'll ever know.

Now go fuck yourself.

Redcoe15
11-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Toronto ever won a major tophy in North America. No.
1976. Toronto Metros-Croatia over the Minnesota Kicks, 3-0 to win the NASL's Soccer Bowl.

You're welcome. :D

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
1976. Toronto Metros-Croatia over the Minnesota Kicks, 3-0 to win the NASL's Soccer Bowl.

You're welcome. :D

Yes, as long as we're going to be claiming titles which don't belong to our current club, like the Shitecaps supporters, we may as well go all out.

arbogast
11-23-2009, 03:53 PM

you're a dumbass. it's called football is Rycroft's blog on Metro news and the name of his podcast that is posted ont he 24th minute. He posts the same shit on his blog that he talks about on his podcast. now fuck off.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Winecaps fans still upset over the canadian championship? theres a surprise,,you were not good enough to win in end of.. TFC has not being playing in a bush league like the whinecaps and the limpact have, Toronto has always been a big time sports city and would not accept playing in the USL as something positive.!! BC place what a joke of a stadium,
BCs white elephant..Whinecap mean nothing nor does their so called history, TFC is the First canadian side in MLS and that still eats at you,
you will always be NO 2..the little brother..and Montreal your bastard child,
but to make your day complete i do hope the Leafs beat your Canucks when they play...and you dont know how that pains me to say that..

Oldtimer
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Winecaps fans still upset over the canadian championship? theres a surprise,,you were not giid enough to win in end of..

As long as we're mad about past grievances, I'm still mad that Hungary was cheated out of winning the 1954 World Cup over a dodgy call... and I wasn't even born yet! Just like our Whitecaps friend probably wasn't born when the original Whitecaps won the NASL championship.

jabbronies
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
I never understood why fanboys of other teams feel the need to come here and post on our boards.
Is Evil Bert not giving you enough stimulating footy conversation?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 05:35 PM
As long as we're mad about past grievances, I'm still mad that Hungary was cheated out of winning the 1954 World Cup over a dodgy call... and I wasn't even born yet! Just like our Whitecaps friend probably wasn't born when the original Whitecaps won the NASL championship.

yes to bad about that hungary team... and the current irish republic team,
how times change!!

tfc2007
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
The more the canadian teams, the better our national team will become.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 05:42 PM
The more the canadian teams, the better our national team will become.

i only care for TFC''s interest,,the canadian national teams means dick all to me anymore..

Phil
11-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I never understood why fanboys of other teams feel the need to come here and post on our boards.
Is Evil Bert not giving you enough stimulating footy conversation?

I think it is Evil Bert :D

tfc2007
11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
i only care for TFC''s interest,,the canadian national teams means dick all to me anymore..

why? that is how other countries will know our soccer reputation. I'd rather have a strong national team... Like the mens hockey team. That represent this nation on a much larger scale than what TFC do.

Redcoe15
11-23-2009, 07:38 PM
If this is your way of "stirring it up" mighty, then go seek professional help. We recommend shock therapy.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
If this is your way of "stirring it up" mighty, then go seek professional help. We recommend shock therapy.

No its not its the way i feel...club always before country..TFC have a good future ahead of the the Canadian national team is doomed to failure for the next decade or more..None of Canada's top young talent want
to play for the team, choosing other national sides to play for that are
successful....you cant point to anywhere where the current national side has a chance to succed...none at all...!!:scarf:

billyfly
11-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Wow. Where did the conversation fall of the rails?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
one above my previous post!!

billyfly
11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
No I mean with Spartacus.

Macksam
11-23-2009, 10:09 PM
No its not its the way i feel...club always before country..TFC have a good future ahead of the the Canadian national team is doomed to failure for the next decade or more..None of Canada's top young talent want
to play for the team, choosing other national sides to play for that are
successful....you cant point to anywhere where the current national side has a chance to succed...none at all...!!:scarf:
It's not mutually exclusive. The only way for TFC to achieve it's maximum potential is for the Canadian men's national team to do well also.

Toronto Ruffrider
11-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Guys, we all know that Canadian expansion into MLS will be good all around. There is no need to argue this point against individuals who are (a) trolling, or (b) set in their ways. Rather than respond to every half-baked post, take advantage of the Ignore List function in User CP.

Dirk Diggler
11-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Guys, we all know that Canadian expansion into MLS will be good all around. There is no need to argue this point against individuals who are (a) trolling, or (b) set in their ways. Rather than respond to every half-baked post, take advantage of the Ignore List function in User CP.

Best post in the thread.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
It's not mutually exclusive. The only way for TFC to achieve it's maximum potential is for the Canadian men's national team to do well also.

true, but if TFC does well soon it will be a longer wait fro the nats, 86 was without doubt or finest team ,but we have gone down hill steadily since..it might take 23 more years for the nats to regain any ground
lost in that period..TFC, Van , MTL...maybe OTT will help..god willing!!

Ossington Mental Youth
11-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Do yourselves a favor gents and just block this dude, life is so much easier

tfc2007
11-24-2009, 10:44 AM
true, but if TFC does well soon it will be a longer wait fro the nats, 86 was without doubt or finest team ,but we have gone down hill steadily since..it might take 23 more years for the nats to regain any ground
lost in that period..TFC, Van , MTL...maybe OTT will help..god willing!!

you proved my original point that the more Canadian teams in the MLS, the better it will be for the Nat Program.:canada:

SPARTACUS
11-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow....I can see why the west is the best. We'll prove it when we join the league. You certainly are a classless bunch. Funny how one spectator brought up the 86'ers.....werent they the city that won 4 straight CSL titles. Rhetorical. I dont think the Toronto Blizzard won even one! In fact even the Winnipeg Fury won a championship in that league. You want to keep this up go nuts....its quite funny listening to people who cant argue in a constuctive manner. Now I cant bring up past titles because they are in different leagues or ran by different owners??? You are hillarious! Here baby steps for you ok...In soccer/football history in this country the "westcoast kings" Vancouver Whitecaps/86'ers have won more titles in total than any Toronto Blizzard/Lynx/TFC club combined...I didnt actually know about your one and only win until the Nutrilite "Gift" came your way...:o My bad.

Vancouver Nationwide/N.America Titles
CSL Regular Season Champions 88, 89, 90, 91, 92
CSL Cup Champions - 88, 89, 90, 91
North American Club Champions 90
APSL Regular Season Champions - 93
A-League Western Conference Champions - 01
USL 2006, 2008 Champions

Thats a TOTAL of 14 Titles....
Toronto has 2.

Records
*In 1988-1989, the team, coached by Bob Lenarduzzi, set a North American professional sports record by playing 46 consecutive games without a loss!
*The record home attendance for a Whitecaps game was on June 20, 1983. 60,342 came to watch the caps take on the Seattle Sounders in the first game at BC Place Stadium. It is also the largest crowd to ever see a club soccer match in Canada.

For those of you who say I canot count the NASL, USL, CSL days are not true followers of the sport. These are titles the city won. I will say one name Bobby Lenarduzzi. He has played and represented the city of Vancouver through every club and league. He has been apart of every championship in one way or another. I have just proved that yes Vancouver is BIG BROTHER in this country. We will have a bigger stadium, a better club on and off the pitch (I feel sorry you are led by Mo the Great...LMAO) and yes we will probably end up winng a title before you do. Wait till you get a load of our designated player we have coming...dont forget we have Mr. Nash behind us now who has alot of pull with athletes and sports figures around the world.
You guys asked for this beating now take it like a man and stand up! Or you can whine and pout some more...and relish in your ass kicking of 5-0 to the worst team in the MLS. Yeah you got a nice "little" stadium and a GREAT bunch of fans, but thats it. Oh yeah and 2 titles to your name that came 30+ years apart.:rolleyes:

Who's your daddy now....thats right you know it now and there aint nothing you can do but spout shite out your mouths that has no bearing onthe game in this country as a whole. I'll give credit where it is due.

One last thing you think Preki will save your sinking ship....:facepalm: He is not the problem its your idiot Mo! He brought in his "wrap around" buddy to be what a "dictator"? I have this funny feeling the relationship between Preki and some players will be a strained one to say the least. But hey wtf do I know right...:D

Toodles and thanks for letting Vancouver and myself put you straight in your place. We have more titles, records and fans...cant wait to join the MLS and show you what we have in store. Nice big beautiful stadium, solid foundation to buld from (like a certain Sounders franchise we all know) and the right people in place that care about the game in this country and not just about how many beer they sell....That last one has got to hurt hey.

rocker
11-24-2009, 11:28 AM
but you guys in VanShitty will never have GRASS!!! :)

Phil
11-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Hes gone, so you can take him off your ignore lists.

:D

Roogsy
11-24-2009, 11:30 AM
LOL! Man...I've never seen such a bad case of penis envy in my life! :lol:

He reeks of effort. Methinks he doth protest too much!

tfcleeds
11-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the history lesson, Spartacus, now take your Vancouver circle-jerk back to your own boards...

Roogsy
11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Is he really bragging about winning shit in the USL? Really?

When they cover it on ESPN, give me a call homey.

deltox
11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
big beautiful stadium?

whats he talking about?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
why? that is how other countries will know our soccer reputation. I'd rather have a strong national team... Like the mens hockey team. That represent this nation on a much larger scale than what TFC do.

the problem with the nats hockey team they are are big fish in a very small pond..hockey IS NOT nor every will be a world sport, regional yes nothing more..the football nats are minnows in a very big ocean..look Haiti has a better national side then us and they are one of the poorest nationan not only in Concacaf but the world in general, but have a terrific football program. 3 MLS teams in Canada may improve things slightly but we really
need at least 5 ( Ottawa and Winnipeg) the others??

billyfly
11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I still don't understand how this convo went off the rails. Who mouthed off first?

JamboAl
11-24-2009, 11:54 AM
the problem with the nats hockey team they are are big fish in a very small pond..hockey IS NOT nor every will be a world sport, regional yes nothing more..the football nats are minnows in a very big ocean..look Haiti has a better national side then us and they are one of the poorest nationan not only in Concacaf but the world in general, but have a terrific football program. 3 MLS teams in Canada may improve things slightly but we really
need at least 5 ( Ottawa and Winnipeg) the others??

Points made.

So if/when Canada qualifies for a World Cup in the future, you won't be invited to celebrate in the glory.

Rudi
11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I have just proved that yes, many in Vancouver suffer from LITTLE BROTHER SYNDROME in this country.
I'd say he did quite well.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Points made.

So if/when Canada qualifies for a World Cup in the future, you won't be invited to celebrate in the glory.

i plan on living another 48 years :} god willing..i think it will be long after that before canada goes to the world cup again...its been 23 years now!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey spartacus....love you clubs promo (below) thanks for a great season, you lost the canadian championship, and you lost the USL title..if that what your club thinks is a great season i wont hate to think what a poor one would be....Mighty!!