PDA

View Full Version : Au revoir Amado?

Gixmo
11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Amado's wife's Facebook status: 'not going back to Toronto...' Seriously. 43 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/24thminute/status/5872927995) from txt (http://twitter.com/devices)

From 24th minute Twitter...

Widely speculated, and now starting to gain momentum..?

How will Amado figure into Preki's plans, and if he goes - Who fits his role and is attainable to TFC?

Somewhat sad, Amado's a good guy - But also with the WC coming for Honduras, his focus would be elsewhere.

Nuvinho
11-19-2009, 07:31 PM
DeRo can play his role. I think that's where he is more comfortable playing.

Nuvinho
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM
=================Frei================
Wynne?======Nana=====CB=======Brennan?
===========Robbo====Cronin===========
===============JDG=================
===============DeRo================
==========STK=======STK============

Gixmo
11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
So let me pre-face it this way

Is Toronto better off without Amado ... (A far tougher question to answer)

Carts
11-19-2009, 07:38 PM

Where's Garcia...???? :smilielol5:

Carts...

Marco2K
11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Well maybe with him heading to South Africa this wont be all that bad.
Now the real question is who do the guys upstairs get to replace him!

canadian_bhoy
11-19-2009, 07:57 PM
With DeGuz and DeRo, I don't think Mo gives a crap about amado being with the club or not. Personally, if he goes, I will be upset. He's a guy who's had problems everywhere he has gone, but in Toronto he found a niche, he found a place where he fit in with his teammates and the fans. Not only that, he performed at a level few of our other players reached.

I still wish he got to take the PK in KC at the beginning of the year to seal his hattrick.

If he's gone - let me say, thanks Amado thanks for the memories.

kaos197O
11-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Absolutely! And that was an easy one!

TFCRegina
11-19-2009, 08:02 PM
You dump Guevara because you have depth at midfield and he's a cap hit that you cannot afford if he's not going to be present due to World Cup.

Him, Garcia, Vitti are for sure gonners.

Nuvinho
11-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Amado back to Chivas for a 1st round pick? ;)

trane
11-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Wynne?======Nana=====CB=========Felinga
========Robbo==========Cronin===========
========O'Brien=======Gerba============

He should be good. O'Brien and Gerba shuold be given a proper try.

Gixmo
11-19-2009, 08:15 PM
See, Nuvinho plays the Robbo card and general speculation was that he was going back to Wales?...

Globetrotter
11-19-2009, 08:26 PM

Brazil pulled off the 4222, Toronto will not. That's a terrible formation.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-19-2009, 08:31 PM

yep looks about right to me.
Big Guevara fan but we've got several players in mid that can play his position, hes getting older and hes gone for 2 months to the world cup.
Thanks for all your hardwork but goodbye.
Who knows tho maybe he will stay, hes a different man from who he used to be

torfchamilton
11-19-2009, 08:32 PM

Not 100% sure if OBW will materialize, so I will give him this year. Gerba on the other hand will do nothing again. Not what we need.

Nuvinho
11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Brazil pulled off the 4222, Toronto will not. That's a terrible formation.

With the players we have, do you have a better formation? Since we don't have any wingers.

DeRo does not want to play wing remember.

Inklink
11-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Kinda' wanted TFC representation at the world cup. Oh well :D .

TFCRegina
11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
With the players we have, do you have a better formation? Since we don't have any wingers.

There's a thing called the off season. This is when you can acquire wingers...

I can't seriously believe people are fretting over formations before we even undergo the changes in players.

People are charging in like a herd of vultures and putting the cart before the horse.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Kinda think Guevara leaving was in teh books anyways, there were rumors he was headed back home to play for his former team and im sure that sorta narrowed down the coach chase for Mo

werewolf
11-19-2009, 10:51 PM
OR.

Amado and his wife are having marital issues, and he is coming back here at the end of winter by himself. Thus leading me to wonder, how do I add his wife on facebook?

:rolleyes:

james
11-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Prekis apparently questioned Gueveras comitmet to the Chivas before tradding him away. So im pretty sure with the World Cup comming up for Guevera Prekis would be asking the same question.

Id be very suprised to see Guevera back in TFC next season.

james
11-19-2009, 10:56 PM

id say because of the world cup yes TFC is better off without him. Mainly because if Toronto wants a winning team next season they need to try to get its players going serious into the season. Gueveras focus will be on the World Cup and i dont think we can be waitting for Guevera to comeback in July. We need all are players ready to go from March till November.

Damien
11-19-2009, 10:56 PM
You guys know shit.... bring back Ronnie O'Brien :D

TFCRegina
11-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes Gixmo, we are better off because we can employ a player of high quality in another position for the entire season, rather than losing one for a huge portion of it and taking a 300k cap hit.

james
11-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes Gixmo, we are better off because we can employ a player of high quality in another position for the entire season, rather than losing one for a huge portion of it and taking a 300k cap hit.

i agree

tlear
11-19-2009, 11:52 PM
And the next time we try to sign a player that plays for Costa Rica, Jamaica or some other CONCACAF national team that has a chance at going to WC.. how do you think it will look if we dump a Captain of the Honduras National team just because they actually made it to the World Cup? rotten

If he wants to go himself let him, but getting rid of the dude after how he played for us (well! screw the haters) and actually managed to qualify for WC (hi CMNT..) is just wrong.

Listening to Preki, he does seem like someone who might be able to work with Guevara, depending on how personal their previous issue was.

De Ro is a completely different type of AM. He is great but he will not be doing for us what Guevara did, JDG might..

Oh and someone need to work on taking corners and some free kicks, cause those short excuses for a corner when Guevara was not there were plane embarrassing.

wzhxvy
11-20-2009, 12:12 AM
My prediction is that Amado will sign with the LA Galaxy...he was practically fondling Bruce Arena when TFC played there last. I personally dont care if he leaves...I think he is highly talented, but TFC was a far distant priority for him and he intentionally dogged it for us...I felt like he treated some games as warm ups. You watch him play for Honduras and he is going at ten speed...with us, he paces himself...so anyways, good player but needed to go. And what is with wives and facebook...she is quite the negotiator saying that in public, yeah really helped your husband there honey.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Dont forget he may have already made his decision privately before she posted that

Super
11-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Amado has been a fantastic player for us and a joy to watch, but right now a proper coach carries more value than any individual player - so if that means Amado is leaving then so be it.

king dave
11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
El Lobo is going no where kids.
With the WC coming down like a bag of hammers, every MLS team will potentially be compromised for the month of the WC.
You think any given MLS team is about to acquire some douche knowing he'll be gone for 6-8 weeks and potentially get injured giving his all for country and glory?
Wake the fuck up!!!
It's the MLS about to go into lockdown sons.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2561/3910551669_a113cc76b2_b.jpg

KD.

TFCRegina
11-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks dave for the obnoxious post. Just because nobody will pick Guevara up doesn't mean that we can't drop him and pick nobody who won't be at the world cup up...

Brooker
11-20-2009, 03:05 AM
im confused.... did his wife say anything other than "not going back to toronto, seriously"

???

maybe she's not coming back cuz its starting to get fucking cold now? lol

denime
11-20-2009, 06:39 AM
When asked about Guevara, Preki said it's premature to weigh in on plans for specific players. He wants to go over things with his coaching staff first.

"The way we're going to run things is it's not going to be about one guy or two guys," Preki said. "It's going to be about a team and about a group and who can fit in that group. We'll see, we'll think and we'll assess whether Amado fits and then we'll make a decision."

:hurray:

Hitcho
11-20-2009, 06:51 AM
^ well that doesn't sound too encouraging. would he say that about De Ro or JDG? because to me, Amado is every bit as valuable to TFC as they are.

As for the WC, I heard MLS was shutting down for the group stages. If that's right, then we won't miss much time from Amado in the WC because no way are Honduras going into the knock out rounds. He might miss a couple of games for warm ups etc, but we can live with that. anyone know if this rumour is true?

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Damn... I like Amado. I take some issue with some of the things he does (read: falling over), and he IS inconsistent, but he has heart and passion and great skills. It'd be a shame to lose him.

Oldtimer
11-20-2009, 07:54 AM
El Lobo is going no where kids.

He might not being going to another MLS squad. I expect to see him go back to Honduras, where he is a hero.

Beach_Red
11-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Look at it this way, if Amado wasn't on the team already, how many here would be happy if he was signed now? That big a cap hit, captain of his country's WC team, and inconsistent play over the last few years?

Hitcho
11-20-2009, 08:43 AM
^ not sure that's a fair way of looking at it though. He HAS been on the teamf or the last coupel of years and he's been the heart and sould of the creativity in our midfield. He plays with passion and has made us tick in midfield. Inconsistent? maybe, but that's as much down to the way the team plays. Amado needs possession football to be effective. When TFC are just hoofing it long or cannot keep possession for more than a couple of passes, then no doubt Guevara becomes less effective.

He's not essential to the side, but he's a very good part of it. the only reason I am not too concerned abou this rumour is because we are swamped with CM players. That said, I don't think anyone els ein the squad offers what Amado does. And you can add set pieces to that list, not just ihs style in open play.

Chevy
11-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Amado has been a fantastic player for us and a joy to watch, but right now a proper coach carries more value than any individual player - so if that means Amado is leaving then so be it.

+1. The most sensible post of the day. I love Amado, but he will be missing and/or distracted for most of next summer and we have some depth at Mid.

TFC Tifoso
11-20-2009, 08:57 AM
I was thinking Amado is as good as gone when this season ended anyways.....I think his mind will be on WC, and he doesn't wanna risk injury. I'm hoping that if Vitti stays, he can take over for Amado, otherwise, let DeRo run up and down the middle of the field and bring a new body in for the left side.

koryo
11-20-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't think Guevara hanging around. He's a proud man, not likely to forget his falling out with Preki in 2007.

Given it's a WC year, and his age, dropping him to strengthen back isn't a bad idea.

Oldtimer
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
^ not sure that's a fair way of looking at it though. He HAS been on the teamf or the last coupel of years and he's been the heart and sould of the creativity in our midfield. He plays with passion and has made us tick in midfield.

His creativity is undeniable, at least when he shows up. However, creativity is needed less when you have a strong system.

rocker
11-20-2009, 09:29 AM
didn't Amado consider a loan deal to Motagua in Honduras anyways? I thought I read an article awhile back about him considering such a move so he'd keep fit before the WC.

He's also having surgery soon on a knee prob.

Hitcho
11-20-2009, 09:34 AM
His creativity is undeniable, at least when he shows up. However, creativity is needed less when you have a strong system.

Kind of, but it's not a straight line graph. You're always going to need players that can unlock a tight defence or turn a game with a moment of brilliance. It doesn't matter how rigid your system is in those scenarios.

Besides, a strong system is more helpful for not conceding goals than it is for scoring them. Otherwise, you could take 11 strong, fit players, drill them into an organised machine and win games regardless of footballing ability. There has to be a balance, and players like Amado tip the balance for us. He's also a good passer of the ball which is good for possession football (and a strong system) as well as unlocking the toher side's defence.

Beach_Red
11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
^ not sure that's a fair way of looking at it though. He HAS been on the teamf or the last coupel of years and he's been the heart and sould of the creativity in our midfield. He plays with passion and has made us tick in midfield. Inconsistent? maybe, but that's as much down to the way the team plays. Amado needs possession football to be effective. When TFC are just hoofing it long or cannot keep possession for more than a couple of passes, then no doubt Guevara becomes less effective.

I like the guy and I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here, but if he's been the heart and soul of a team that has underperformed as much as this one, that's not a great selling point.

This team didn't make the playoffs. Changes are needed and there shouldn't be sentimental decisions.

ManUtd4ever
11-20-2009, 09:40 AM

Agreed, but I still hope Preki and Amado can put their differences behind them and El Lobo returns to TFC. I dare to say that he is the most technically skilled player in our brief history even if he wasn't the most motivated...

Ladies Love Julius James
11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Am I the only one wondering if his wife is hot or not?

TFC07
11-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Am I the only one wondering if his wife is hot or not?

Post pic of her here, and we'll see if she is hot or not.

MartinUtd
11-20-2009, 10:43 AM
TFC probably would fair well without him because we're already stacked at midfield. Its tough to admit that about your favourite player :(

Ladies Love Julius James
11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/mediaUS/20060517/guevara_amado_275.gif

That's the best I could come up with.

Hitcho
11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
I like the guy and I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here, but if he's been the heart and soul of a team that has underperformed as much as this one, that's not a great selling point.

This team didn't make the playoffs. Changes are needed and there shouldn't be sentimental decisions.

fair point. i wasn't being sentimental though, although reading it back it does sound a bit like that! my point was more that if he goes, we need to reaplce him (and who the hell would that be with?) or we need one of JDG and De Ro to take over his role. I don't think De Ro has the same game at all, he plays too far forward. JDG could potentially do it if he has Robbo or Cronin alongside him, but it would be more like Gerrard vs Paul Scholes in terms of style.

anyway, if he goes he goes. he never really engaged with the fans here which is a shame.

removing Garcia, Vitti, Barrett and Guevara from our roster would free up a huge chunk of the cap and allow us to bring in a good striker and a couple fo wide players to replace them and rebalance the squad. We could probably add another reasonable (by MLS standards) CB in there too, especially if the story about Brennan taking a reduced salary and playign less next season is true.

ManUtd4ever
11-20-2009, 11:00 AM
http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/mediaUS/20060517/guevara_amado_275.gif

That's the best I could come up with.

Not too shabby at all...

rocker
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Not too shabby at all...

she sits in my row regularly and walks past my seats, where I graciously let her pass... Amado did VERY well for himself.
(So did Garcia... . and Carl Robinson...)... the perks of being a footballer I guess!

Broadview
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
That's actually not a great photo of her at all. I've seen her at BMO and she was the hottest girl I saw that whole day :)

C.Ronaldo
11-20-2009, 11:22 AM
she facebooks in english?

Darlofletch
11-20-2009, 11:28 AM
A few people here have asked what we're going to do for set pieces if he goes. Am I the only one who thinks his corners generally sucked. Unless having a large percentage of them go to the far edge of the six yard box was actually our plan, in which case he was very accurate.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-20-2009, 11:30 AM
thats the beauty of putting our trust into our new coach, we dont know what will happen but its up to him now

Hitcho
11-20-2009, 11:32 AM
A few people here have asked what we're going to do for set pieces if he goes. Am I the only one who thinks his corners generally sucked. Unless having a large percentage of them go to the far edge of the six yard box was actually our plan, in which case he was very accurate.

his free kicks are better than his corners. cronin was taking very good corners earlier in the season, and i'm sure de ro, jimmy, etc would be willing to take free kicks for us.

Globetrotter
11-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Playing your guys in their "natural" position vs playing guys out of position. You weigh the + vs -.

4222 requires an extreme level of skill...highly specialized players. There's very few that can pull this off. I will say no team in MLS, and maybe very few club teams in the world could pull it off. So there's a huge downside to Toronto trying that formation, a downside that is worse than playing some guys out of position on the wing.

We couldn't put a winning side together with the players we had. Why would you speculate what the formation would be next season with those same chumps? There's plenty of off season shopping/wheeling-dealing before people get excited about ====drawing===up====formations===because====they
====find===doing===these====a===whole===lot====
===of=====fun.====must====be====the===inner====chi ld
===in====us====that===wants===to===come====out===
===========and=========play================

massive_magpie
11-20-2009, 12:15 PM
If he does stay, and I hope he does, he's a great player and has shown true professionalism while in red, I'll be giving him a thank you when walks onto BMO field opening day.

If he can work around the past and his personal feelings, he'll truly be a TFC Great.

Super
11-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Here's Amado with his family. Picture taken in Honduras. Note the TFC jersey on the daughter.

http://www.diez.hn/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/ediciones/2009/04/03/multimedia/amado-guevara/1514362-1-esl-HN/Amado-Guevara_full_nota_esp_sud2010.jpg

Hitcho
11-20-2009, 12:35 PM
4222 requires an extreme level of skill...highly specialized players. There's very few that can pull this off. I will say no team in MLS, and maybe very few club teams in the world could pull it off. So there's a huge downside to Toronto trying that formation, a downside that is worse than playing some guys out of position on the wing.

There are different ways of playing 4-2-2-2. A simple 4-4-2 with advance wingers is 4-2-2-2. But yeah, in it's most complicated form, you need two very special attacking midfielders and two top class strikers that can all dovetail together to make it work. Not easy to do.

====drawing===up====formations===because====they
===========and=========play================

That was a bit childish yourself dude, and unfair. People post formations on here all the time and we just got a new coach so it's natural people will want to think about possible systems and formations. This is a football forum. If you're not interested in reading other people's posts and opinions then start a blog instead and only listen to your own point of view! ;)

Menelaos
11-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I'd like to see him back, but I don't think he'll be the difference between playoffs or nothing to be honest. I would say in about 1/2 the games I felt like he took the night off. Still, he could bring it when he wanted to.

Up The TFC
11-21-2009, 04:05 PM
[quote=Globetrotter;796188 people get excited about ====drawing===up====formations===because====they
===========and=========play================[/quote]

Haha! I think this is funny!

In saying that, what would we look like, if, hypothetically speaking, Robbo wasn't in the plans for next year?

J .
11-21-2009, 09:29 PM
wynne--nana--serioux--LB

RM--JDG--Cronin--Brennan

DeRo--Gerba

Preki will put in a 442, very likely.

Mo should trade Robbo and Guevara. Improve upon wing play and that will make our offense more potent. People forget Gerba was gassed after a long year in Europe, then Gold Cup. Him and DeRo are potent up front next year. What killed us was our width and play on the wings. It left our attack impotent and left our defense exposed.

A more defensively responsible system will improve upon our weaknesses and we should be a top three club in the East next year.

jazzy
11-21-2009, 09:44 PM

Brennan, if this team is too be reasonably successful, cannot play full time defence, and Wynne? How does he contribute, when we have to have less goals scored against us, a must! He should be on the wing, but his lack of ball control, negates his effectiveness. And CB, please tell me that isn't Chad Barrett, One can only hope he is unprotected and picked up by Philly

jazzy
11-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Here's Amado with his family. Picture taken in Honduras. Note the TFC jersey on the daughter.

http://www.diez.hn/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/ediciones/2009/04/03/multimedia/amado-guevara/1514362-1-esl-HN/Amado-Guevara_full_nota_esp_sud2010.jpg
Sweet...My wife met him, at Mt Sinai, he is shy and classy....I love his spirit, and who knows how unprofessional our dressing room, or mgmt team were, while trying to do your best on the field.....we will never know.

Kaz
11-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Brennan, if this team is too be reasonably successful, cannot play full time defence, and Wynne? How does he contribute, when we have to have less goals scored against us, a must! He should be on the wing, but his lack of ball control, negates his effectiveness. And CB, please tell me that isn't Chad Barrett, One can only hope he is unprotected and picked up by Philly
I'm sure Preki is think of converting Chad Barrett from forward to a center back, it seems the logical thing to do. ..... :P

We need to clean house in the back, Nana is growing well and needs to be kept, other then that it's our back line that needs to be worked on heavily.

This year we scored an average number of goals, with Gerba (with a better strike rate then Barrett and Vitti) and OB-Wan on the field all year, it should bumb us up to where we need to be... I personally am far more concerned with that back line, and general tactics then I am upfront.

I don't thing Guevera will be back next year, and really he isn't needed with the current roster.... but... he'll be missed.

SilverSamurai
11-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Don't think Guevara will be back either, but I do hope he is.
Anyone remember the dying minutes of the last home game this season? When it came time to playing "keepaway" who were the 2 guys that how to do it? JDG and Guevara. I'd like to see the 2 of them play together for a season or even 5-6 games before making a cut. (not that JDG is going anywhere)

Also it'll be nice to see Gerba have a full training camp. Even though, DeRo, JDG, Gerba (and to a lesser extent, Brennan) play on the CMNT, they rarely play together. Let's see how they do with a full training camp.

VPjr
11-22-2009, 12:22 AM
there are alot of rumours floating around MLS circles that Amado already knows that TFC is looking to move him.

TFC wants to get back into the 1st round of the draft and will try to use Amado as a chip to do that (possibly allocation as well).

TFCRegina
11-22-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm sure Preki is think of converting Chad Barrett from forward to a center back, it seems the logical thing to do. ..... :P

Well, the ball won't go into the net when he's near, that's for sure!