PDA

View Full Version : Third Eye Blind is performing the MLS Halftime Show

SvenFlu
11-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Just like MLS to get a band that's past its prime :)

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20091118&content_id=7685382&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Third Eye Blind kicks off MLS Cup 2009
11/18/2009 7:22 PM
Major League Soccer Communications
SEATTLE -- As fans gear up to watch Los Angeles Galaxy and Real Salt Lake go head-to-head in the epic finale of the season, AT&T*, along with Major League Soccer, L.L.C. (MLS), announced Thursday that Third Eye Blind will host a concert in Seattle, Wash. to usher in the MLS Cup 2009 game. The free event comes just months after the band's latest album, Ursa Major, debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's top-selling rock albums list. As a sponsor of the MLS Cup, AT&T will also deliver exclusive content across mobile handsets.
On Sunday, Nov. 22, Third Eye Blind will perform hits from Ursa Major, as well as other fan favorites, to a live audience during a free concert between 4:15 p.m. and 5 p.m., Pacific Standard Time (PST). Third Eye Blind will be performing before the game outside of the stadium, with concert footage aired on ESPN's half-time show. The concert is part of Soccer Celebration, a pre-game event scheduled 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., during which time fans can get players' autographs, have their photo taken with MLS' Philip F. Anschutz Championship Trophy and play soccer-themed games. Kickoff for MLS Cup 2009 will begin at 5:30 p.m. PST..........

Red CB Toronto
11-18-2009, 11:08 PM
"How Is It Going To Be" is the question Becks and Landycakes will be asking themselves come Saturday night when they are sleepless in Seattle, I am ok with 3EB and MLS joining forces to bring more viewing eyes to the television, maybe this is what is needed to raise the rating, who knows, you never know right.

SvenFlu
11-18-2009, 11:11 PM
"How Is It Going To Be" is the question Becks and Landycakes will be asking themselves come Saturday night when they are sleepless in Seattle, I am ok with 3EB and MLS joining forces to bring more viewing eyes to the television, maybe this is what is needed to raise the rating, who knows, you never know right.

They should have gotten Kayne West. That way he could snatch the mic from Don Garber during the trophy presentation. "Imma letchu finish Don" :D

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Didn't Third Eye Blind essentially cease to exist some time in the late 90s? I had no idea they were still around.

TFCRegina
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Maybe they can sing "Semi-charmed Life" for David Beckham...

I want something else...to get me through this...semi-pro kinda league...baby baby...

TFCRegina
11-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Didn't Third Eye Blind essentially cease to exist some time in the late 90s? I had no idea they were still around.

They broke up but I think they reformed, early 2000s was the break up...

Sonny Cheeba
11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
hahaha what a joke.

they should get 2 live Crew instead.

Brooker
11-18-2009, 11:37 PM
as if anybody even watches the halftime show. i was unaware that they even had one.

but atleast they had a decent song or two.... which is more than you can say about a lot of music nowadays.

TFCRegina
11-18-2009, 11:39 PM
atleast they had a decent song or two.... which is more than you can say about most music nowadays.

I'm not against them at all. The more 90s the better, 90s music had melody and understandable lyrics that were not overt.

Even Semi-Charmed Life, which is a song about open drug abuse, does not sound like a dark song at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh5_Wdd80lE

Nowadays, everyone just wants to slit their wrists.

bimmer
11-19-2009, 01:14 AM
I f-ing love Third Eye Blind

TFCRegina
11-19-2009, 01:27 AM

I could only name you one of their songs...

yet I thrive off 90s music. Go figure.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-19-2009, 06:57 AM
I also know only the one song... I had no idea what it was about, it has way too many damn lyrics. lol

Good song though anyway.

TFCtoMUFC
11-19-2009, 07:22 AM
YES! Someone else who loves 3EB! They'll probably play Never Let You Go, Semi-Charmed Life, Jumper and some new song.

canadian_bhoy
11-19-2009, 07:58 AM
I still live in 90's alternative rock land, so I think it's great. Hopefully they will have Dodgy or Spacehog open up for them! Wheewww!!!

rocker
11-19-2009, 08:31 AM
wait, they're still around??? might as well just get ACDC or reunite Led Zeppelin if yer goin' to the past!

drewski
11-19-2009, 08:40 AM
a band who's title refers to blindless playing at an MLS game. oh the irony

mastermixer
11-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Third Eye Blind is one of those bands that were a lot more poplular in the US than canada, especially in the midwest and southern US.

Phil
11-19-2009, 09:36 AM
I saw them years ago at the warehouse. They were brutal live.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Third Eye Blind is one of those bands that were a lot more poplular in the US than canada, especially in the midwest and southern US.

really?
Still??
Im with Sonny Cheeba on that.

jaahuuu
11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
wait, they're still around??? might as well just get ACDC or reunite Led Zeppelin if yer goin' to the past!
MLS can't afford them.

The last time Led Zeppelin got together for s show didn't tickets cost somewhere in the neighborhood of a southend season ticket?

Kevvv
11-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I went in 2007, and it was Jimmy Eat World. At least they're making sure the music doesn't take away from the excitement of the game.

Raging Reggie
11-19-2009, 01:20 PM
This isnt the first time they did an MLS halftime show, i remember they did it when i think there second album came out.

Whoop
11-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Bands like Third Eye Blind killed '90s Alternative land.

GBV
11-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Marcy Playground's asking price must have been too high.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I still live in 90's alternative rock land, so I think it's great. Hopefully they will have Dodgy or Spacehog open up for them! Wheewww!!!

LOL, or cracker, or rusty.

love the 90's!!!!!

Hitcho
11-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Dodgy - "staying out for the summer" and "good enough" Dodgy?

cementhead
11-20-2009, 05:38 PM
And I,m going to be there!

canadian_bhoy
11-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Dodgy - "staying out for the summer" and "good enough" Dodgy?

Yeah! LOL! Good Enough is a great tune!

lHS9jaINb0k&feature=fvst

If only they could have got Semisonic to play!
ERg8kBFhXao

MrHawk
11-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life was one of the most played songs in radio during the 90's.

TFCRegina
11-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life was one of the most played songs in radio during the 90's.

For good reason. It's a good song.

TFCRegina
11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Bands like Third Eye Blind killed '90s Alternative land.

Pearl Jam's my favourite band and I'll disagree with you on this.

Third Eye Blind was born out of early 90s alt land killing itself.

Bands either refused to evolve (Soundgarden), evolved in ways that weren't attractive to fans (Pearl Jam, Live, etc) or imploded due to self-destructive tendencies (Alice in Chains, Nirvana).

Bands like Third Eye Blind were post-grunge because people were sick of grunge and the mid 90s were better times for people than the late 80s-early 90s were. You have to remember Alt Rock grew out of a time of an economic rollercoaster where people went from wealthy to piss poor and vice versa. What we have now grew out of prosperity.

It influences how the musicians play and write their music if they see shittiness everywhere or if they see prosperity everywhere.

GBV
11-20-2009, 09:09 PM

point being?

it's colour-by-numbers music, cookie-cutter crap. which is just opinion. ok.

but fact is it's old. and for a league which is trying to "establish" itself, i'm not sure getting a one-hit wonder from a decade-plus ago helps at all. no, a band playing halftime of your championship game isn't going to make or break your league, but for the love of pete ... don't get some laughingstock crap like this.

oh well, whatever, never mind.

TFCRegina
11-20-2009, 09:14 PM
point being?

it's colour-by-numbers music, cookie-cutter crap. which is just opinion. ok.

but fact is it's old. and for a league which is trying to "establish" itself, i'm not sure getting a one-hit-wonder from a decade-plus ago helps at all. no, a band playing halftime of your championship game isn't going to make or break your league, but for the love of pete ... don't get some laughingstock crap like this.

oh well, whatever, never mind.

The role of a half time show is to appeal to the people who watch your league.

The music of the vast majority of the hard core supporters of this league is the music of the 90s, even if it isn't that band or that style of band. They're appealing to the 20-30 year old demographic that didn't grow up listening to post 2000 bullshit which generally happens to be the same demographic that supports this league the most on average.

GBV
11-20-2009, 09:29 PM
The role of a half time show is to appeal to the people who watch your league.

The music of the vast majority of the hard core supporters of this league is the music of the 90s, even if it isn't that band or that style of band. They're appealing to the 20-30 year old demographic that didn't grow up listening to post 2000 bullshit which generally happens to be the same demographic that supports this league the most on average.

"vast majority?"
:picard:

TFCRegina
11-20-2009, 09:46 PM
"vast majority?"
:picard:

I didn't say it was their favourite band, I said it 90s music is what they listened to.

Dunc
11-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Say what you will about Garcia or even Jimmy Brennan but you bastards fucking leave Third Eye Blind alone!

GBV
11-20-2009, 10:30 PM
I didn't say it was their favourite band, I said it 90s music is what they listened to.

and i said :picard:

tfc2007
11-23-2009, 05:33 PM
MLS needs to stop trying to copy Super Bowl final.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
while we're on the topic of 90's bands.....i know its bad and i should be ashamed, but i loved fastball (just NOT the song 'the way'). liked these tunes (i know, go ahead, laugh):

Wd2aeZhu9xY

TTAfx-Jx8tI

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
and, keeping it on 3EB, hahahaha

lAFEu6hcMtE

canadian_bhoy
11-23-2009, 05:58 PM
I've had this song in my head all day. I'm not sure if Brit Pop counts as "90's music" or if it gets its own genre...but here it is none the less.

jddGaZ26Rwg

TFCtoMUFC
11-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Is there a video of the 3EB preformance last night?

Red CB Toronto
11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I did not see the halftime, did they rock out, what was 3EB's set list?

stu!
11-23-2009, 09:51 PM
MLS needs to stop trying to copy Super Bowl final.

Ya, that because that's a recipe for a failure.... no one watches that Super Bowl thing..... :rolleyes:

Always There
11-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm very late to the debate, but just wanted to say that Third Eye Blind has to be the lamest choice ever for a half time show. They were already has beens 10 years ago!

As for the debate about 90's music. I like a lot of it, but in 2009 there has to be something slightly more "today" than Third Eye Blind. The idea that you are catering to fans who liked music from 15 years ago seems odd, unless that band is headed for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which Third Eye Blind are clearly not.

On a side note to GBV.........I love Guided By Voices. People who appreciate GBV weren't made for a world where bands like Third Eye Blind became big.

Hustle
11-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I am even later to the debate, and although I liked 3EB back in the day, MLS screwed up.

Too bad they didn't get two or three other washed up bands in the same boat as 3EB to play at the show together. Then it looks like they planned it.

If we host the final: Kim Mitchell, Honeymoon Suite and Snow :drinking:

Brooker
11-26-2009, 01:47 PM
MLS is not the laughing stock of anything because of choosing Third Eye Blind.

In order to be a laughing stock, your league has to be noticed first.

the Soccer fans that I know who a.) didn't know the Final was on Sunday Night, and b.) didn't know the MLS season was still going is a much bigger issue than a stupid band.

Boondaddy
11-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Unbelieveably, I called it during the first half....true story:

Wolves_On_Tour: Well, it's almost half time...
Boondaddy: I wonder what they've got in store for us...
Wolves_On-Tour: I dread to think...
Boondaddy: Probably a little live music by some washed-up american band...
Wolves_On_Tour: Oh yeah, like what?
Boondaddy: Probably some gay band like Third Eye Blind....

Low and behold...lol

Carts
11-26-2009, 02:21 PM
If we host the final: Kim Mitchell, Honeymoon Suite and Snow :drinking:

Don't forget the "Drake"... That kid from DeGrassi was on the American Music Awards as a presenter & was nominated...

Not bad for some kid from DeGrassi - he's doing better than Joey Jeremiah! :D

Carts...

Boondaddy
11-26-2009, 02:28 PM
MLS is not the laughing stock of anything because of choosing Third Eye Blind.

In order to be a laughing stock, your league has to be noticed first.

the Soccer fans that I know who a.) didn't know the Final was on Sunday Night, and b.) didn't know the MLS season was still going is a much bigger issue than a stupid band.

agreed, it wasn't even on a major network!! Really, I don't even know why they bothered with getting a band in. They might as well have had some local kids come out and kick the ball around for shits and giggles.

Hustle
11-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Don't forget the "Drake"... That kid from DeGrassi was on the American Music Awards as a presenter & was nominated...

Not bad for some kid from DeGrassi - he's doing better than Joey Jeremiah! :D

Carts...

Lol....what about Wheel's - how is Wheels doing? Life lesson learned from Wheels: NEVER hitch hike to Port Hope!

TFCRegina
11-27-2009, 12:00 PM
agreed, it wasn't even on a major network!! Really, I don't even know why they bothered with getting a band in. They might as well have had some local kids come out and kick the ball around for shits and giggles.

Last time I checked, ESPN is the biggest sports network in the United States.

It wasn't on in Canada on a major network, but that was the choice of MLS and the major networks here, which should have been smarter. MLS should have sought to get the game on, at a minimal price if they had to. The networks missed an opportunity. What would they have shown in its place on CBC? Being Erica? Re-runs of Ghost Whisperer?

GBV
11-29-2009, 08:58 AM
On a side note to GBV.........I love Guided By Voices. People who appreciate GBV weren't made for a world where bands like Third Eye Blind became big.

a salty salute to you!
:drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking: