PDA

View Full Version : Garber Sees Montréal As The 19th MLS Team

Redcoe15
11-16-2009, 07:42 PM
MLS commissioner Don Garber sees Montreal as the 19th team in the league (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iJYQZsMRrJPK0kJvNNHsjt7EZaoA)

While the Montreal Impact may not have realized its dream of joining Major League Soccer in 2011, MLS commissioner Don Garber still sees the Canadian team as the league's next franchise.

"Today we believe that we're going to be a 20-team league," Garber said Monday in his annual state of the address. "We know we're going to have 18 teams in 2011 (with the addition of Vancouver and Portland).

"We've had productive conversations with Montreal to be our 19th team. We have not put a timetable as to when that team would join the league if we're able to reach agreement with them."

Garber said on a wide-ranging hour-long conference call that there were no active discussions going on for the 20th team.

Montreal, which plays in the United Soccer Leagues, withdrew its bid for a 2011 franchise at the last minute a year ago after learning the MLS was demanding a US$40 million expansion fee. That was a fourfold increase from what Toronto FC paid to get in. The franchise fee was later dropped to $35 million.

Philadelphia is set to join the league next season, followed by the Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers in 2011.

Guaranteed to piss mighty off in a "mighty" way! :D

billyfly
11-16-2009, 07:45 PM
My fear would be they join and make the playoffs and win MLS silverware before us.

flatpicker
11-16-2009, 07:45 PM
^ that would be a nightmare.

TFCRegina
11-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Only De Ro could do worse.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-16-2009, 08:32 PM
^ LOL. :D

Only question is as to when. It would be dumb for the league not to want Montreal in.

boban
11-16-2009, 08:37 PM
^ that would be a nightmare.
In all seriousness, it would probably be the best thing.

TorCanSoc
11-16-2009, 08:49 PM
SO they're just going top play pick-up games until this happens? I don't see a new league forming in what is amounting to a few months.

billyfly
11-16-2009, 09:08 PM
In all seriousness, it would probably be the best thing.

I know what you mean but nnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I've suffered enough.

CoachGT
11-16-2009, 09:15 PM
19 = Montreal
20 = St. Louis

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-16-2009, 09:22 PM

yes to a certain extent it does..but one can always hope that Saputo loses heart or MLS has a change of mind on Montreal..fingers crossed.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Only De Ro could do worse.

DeRo doesnt piss me off...just disappoints...but hes does good for the cummunity and the nets program so that says a lot for his character..:)

Redcoe15
11-16-2009, 10:39 PM
yes to a certain extent it does..but one can always hope that Saputo loses heart or MLS has a change of mind on Montreal..fingers crossed.
Keep dreaming! :p

Redcoe15
11-16-2009, 10:40 PM
DeRo doesnt piss me off...just disappoints
Well that puts you in a very teensy weensy group.

CretanBull
11-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Well that puts you in a very teensy weensy group.

...of about 1 :D

CretanBull
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
19 = Montreal
20 = St. Louis

That makes the most sense, hopefully the league sees it that way too.

Cashcleaner
11-17-2009, 12:41 AM
The league obviously wants Montreal in MLS as soon as possible, but the whole bidding weirdness last time around with Saputo makes the whole premise a bit of a crap-shoot. Who really knows what's going on in Joey Saputo's mind? By all accounts, Montreal is one of the safest bets the league can place, but with that in mind, it doesn't seem like nobody at the Impact is in any real hurry to get into MLS.

Montreal to MLS makes sense in so many ways. The club already has a rock-solid fanbase, the city itself has a growing market for summer sports, and the sport would practically market itself given the potential rivalry between them and Toronto.

In so many ways, the ball is most definitely in Saputo's court.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-17-2009, 01:18 AM
the only concern for saputo is whether its a bigger gamble to stay in the USL (or its break away league), MLS is definitely a safer bet with less perks tho

Oldtimer
11-17-2009, 07:39 AM
19 = Montreal
20 = St. Louis

That's what makes the most sense from a fanbase perspective. St. Louis is still missing a key investor, though and may never get in for that reason.

Mark in Ottawa
11-17-2009, 08:21 AM
That's what makes the most sense from a fanbase perspective. St. Louis is still missing a key investor, though and may never get in for that reason.
Wasn't David Beckham promised the opportunity to become an investor/owner of an MLS franchise sometime down the road?

stugautz
11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Honestly, either put a franchise in Montreal or don't. Enough with this constant teasing!

vweyonlah
11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Best News Eevveeerrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldtimer
11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Wasn't David Beckham promised the opportunity to become an investor/owner of an MLS franchise sometime down the road?

With Beckham, New York, Miami, and Montreal have been mentioned as possibilities. St. Louis gets no love.

ensco
11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Montreal and Miami have to be next. It's not even close.

If St Louis or NY2 or Atlanta also make sense, then move Columbus there.

Redcoe15
11-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Montreal and Miami have to be next. It's not even close.

If St Louis or NY2 or Atlanta also make sense, then move Columbus there.
Miami is a lousy sports maket. Their teams qraw poorly. And its soccer base is overrated, as shown by losing its original MLS team the Fusion. When FC Barcelona bailed on its end of the recent expansion bid, no one in the area stepped forward to rescue it. MLS needs to avoid South Florida like the plague.

billyfly
11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
^ Yeah. And move the Jacksonville Jaguars to Toronto as well. And I'll take some of the Marlins for the Jays too.

ensco
11-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Miami is a lousy sports maket. Their teams qraw poorly. And its soccer base is overrated, as shown by losing its original MLS team the Fusion. When FC Barcelona bailed on its end of the recent expansion bid, no one in the area stepped forward to rescue it. MLS needs to avoid South Florida like the plague.

I'll stop soon, but I have to say I'm annoyed by this.

Let's just say you have insufficient knowledge of South Florida, specifically as it relates to the depth of interest in soccer, the issues with the Fusion, the issues with the attempts to get a SSS down there, or the issues with the Barcelona bid.

TFCRegina
11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Let's just say you have insufficient knowledge of South Florida, specifically as it relates to the depth of interest in soccer, the issues with the Fusion, the issues with the attempts to get a SSS down there, or the issues with the Barcelona bid.

A lot of the problems have to do with poor management, and MLS' rules. Fact is, the market is quite sophisticated and a lot of the soccer base watches Euro league as opposed to domestic league. They don't want to watch a boring product on field.

Hopefully the CBA is negotiated to make everyone better off...

jloome
11-17-2009, 03:49 PM
...of about 1 :D

Nope, he frequently disappoints me, too, so make that two. We need him, he's a great talent, but he's a ballhog who overestimates his own ability and he cost us points this year (albeit not as many as he won us.)

Said it before, say it again: until he moved to central midfield in 2005, he'd been a bench player (but solid contributor) for four years in MLS for exactly the same reasons that he occasionally costs us. Unless we can play him in central mid, that issue will continue.

jloome
11-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Miami is a potentially enormous soccer market. Everyone who followed the Fusion stadium debacle -- and is aware how many disappointed Fusion fans still made it out to support them -- would find the assessment of it as a bad market truly comical.

Like Seattle, and like Toronto, Miami is incredibly homogenous. There are all types of cultures, all types of fans. You could probably still run pro jai alai there (hell, maybe they still do). Just becuase Cubans and Venezuelans like baseball more than football, that's no reason to assume the rest of Florida, which has HUGE youth and adult soccer followings, would follow their lead.

But it's like Toronto. Without an accessible SSS and good management support, the proper culture can't thrive. Same in St. Louis.

MartinUtd
11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe Beckham will buy the Crew

james
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Miami is a potentially enormous soccer market. Everyone who followed the Fusion stadium debacle -- and is aware how many disappointed Fusion fans still made it out to support them -- would find the assessment of it as a bad market truly comical.

Like Seattle, and like Toronto, Miami is incredibly homogenous. There are all types of cultures, all types of fans. You could probably still run pro jai alai there (hell, maybe they still do). Just becuase Cubans and Venezuelans like baseball more than football, that's no reason to assume the rest of Florida, which has HUGE youth and adult soccer followings, would follow their lead.

But it's like Toronto. Without an accessible SSS and good management support, the proper culture can't thrive. Same in St. Louis.

i agree that Miami would be a success if market right and they got a SSS actually built in the City of MIami and bot in bum fuck no where. Same goes with other cities. Montreal is a for sure success if they can get an MLS team since they got a stadium ready to go, just needs a expansion to 20,000 seats. The fans are already there.

Shway
11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Montreal is a for sure success if they can get an MLS team since they got a stadium ready to go, just needs a expansion to 20,000 seats. The fans are already there.

I honestly think they should just look to expand to 25K if not more.
Think about when theres a Toronto FC vs. Limp'act ...i know ill be there on a saturday, and it will be a derby

james
11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I honestly think they should just look to expand to 25K if not more.
Think about when theres a Toronto FC vs. Limp'act ...i know ill be there on a saturday, and it will be a derby

Tho Montreal might beable to sell out 25k every game it would be stupid tho if they built the stadium to 25k just for when TFC come to play to sell it out while getting 15-20k for all the other games. Not saying that would happen just you exspand a stadium to keep the stadium full for the average game, not just one off game.

beepbeepImaJeep
11-20-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/374977

rocker
11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
so It's Called Football confirms the Impact to MLS eh... so are they gonna announce it formally after MLS Cup or what?

beepbeepImaJeep
11-20-2009, 06:18 PM
First Kick in April 2010.. eh..

billyfly
11-20-2009, 06:42 PM
MTL in MLS. Bring it.

Dirk Diggler
11-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Any other links confirming the inclusion of MTL?

ManUtd4ever
11-20-2009, 07:56 PM
What's up with this? Is this going to be a one year stop for Montreal and Vancouver?

http://www.potomacsoccerwire.com/news/460/8869

Crystal Palace Baltimore and Tampa to join new professional soccer league

20 Nov, 2009

The Tampa Bay Rowdies and Crystal Palace Baltimore have joined the new professional soccer league announced last week, beginning play in the United States and Canada in April 2010.
The addition of Tampa Bay and Baltimore brings the new league to nine teams, as they join the owners of the Atlanta Silverbacks, Carolina Railhawks, Miami FC, Minnesota Thunder, Montreal Impact, St. Louis Soccer United and Vancouver Whitecaps. The league has submitted an application to the United States Soccer Federation for sanctioning as a Division II Men’s Outdoor Professional League.
A name for the new league will be announced next week. The new league is also active in its search for a full-time commissioner and will introduce an extensive marketing campaign in the coming months.
“Tampa and Baltimore joining our efforts is a testament to our game plan, our current ownership strength and our promise for the future. Our new league, together with Tampa and Baltimore, will be another major step forward in the growth of soccer in the United States and Canada and will provide a important opportunity for players in these countries,” said Joey Saputo, Chairman of the Board of Governors and President of the Montreal Impact. “The ownership groups of both teams share our common vision for soccer in North America and we are thrilled to welcome them to our new league.”
“With this new league, which consists of some of the most established teams in North American soccer, we are excited about our team and collective future and the opportunity to make a significant impact on the beautiful game,” said Andrew Nestor, owner and president of the Tampa Bay Rowdies.
“Crystal Palace Baltimore is pleased and honored to join and be a part of what we see as the future of North American soccer. We are particularly excited about this league, especially when you look at the quality of the owners and the impressive history of the clubs,” said Pete Medd, co-owner of Crystal Palace Baltimore. “We are proud to be one of the founding members and believe it’s the right league at the right time for us and for soccer in North America.”

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Uts going to be a real sad day if MLS allows Montreal into the League after the farce their went through in the last expansion..come on Garber leave them in the USL or that new league they keep talking about!! keep them out of MLS of another few years yet!!

Dirk Diggler
11-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Uts going to be a real sad day if MLS allows Montreal into the League after the farce their went through in the last expansion..come on Garber leave them in the USL or that new league they keep talking about!! keep them out of MLS of another few years yet!!

Nice avatar bro...

WHITEY
11-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice avatar bro...

Feel like I've seen it somewhere before, hmmmmmm.....

TFCRegina
11-20-2009, 08:57 PM
It's called football is reporting it's confirmed...someone may have posted this on page 2, haven't looked yet...

ArmenJBX
11-20-2009, 09:00 PM
It's either going to be St. Louis or the second (First really...) New York team.

Redcoe15
11-20-2009, 09:15 PM
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/374977
Honest and for true?

Redcoe15
11-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Hey mighty: :p:dita:

It'll be a great day!

SPARTACUS
11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Montreal IS the 19th....
Miami is the 20th...

At this time the league will abolish the east-west set up and go to one complete league standing. This happens in 2012. Bookmark this and I will comeback and tell you...."I told you so".

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey mighty: :p:dita:

It'll be a great day!

nah i keep praying Montreal is Never allowed in !! and the vancouver finds a way to drop out as well!!! :scarf:

Macksam
11-23-2009, 12:31 PM
nah i keep praying Montreal is Never allowed in !! and the vancouver finds a way to drop out as well!!! :scarf:
Why Vancouver?

JonO
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
On Montreal's expansion cause: "The ownership group is here [in Seattle for talks]. We are making progress. We hope to have a 19th team in the league by 2012 and Montreal is still the leading candidate. But we have got some work to do, most importantly, that stadium needs to be renovated and expanded. It's probably not suitable for an MLS team today. We are going to work with the Saputo family and the provincial government and try to make some progress in funding a renovation."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/11/mls_cup_rewind.html#more

DOMIN8R
11-23-2009, 01:06 PM
What they need in MTRL is a soccer related event that would see some increase economic activity so the the province could publicly justify paying for a portion of the stadium expansion and renovation. Ideally this event would occur before 2012.

FIFA U20 did that for Toronto.

If multiple levels of government and a private sector partner can cost share it's win/win. With the promise of enhanced economic activity governments can justify cost sharing ~25 million.

Until then.......we wait.

NF-FC
11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Tho Montreal might beable to sell out 25k every game it would be stupid tho if they built the stadium to 25k just for when TFC come to play to sell it out while getting 15-20k for all the other games. Not saying that would happen just you exspand a stadium to keep the stadium full for the average game, not just one off game.

They have a 60,000 seat stadium next door for big games anyway.

kodiakTFC
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Remember this is a city which on average drew 12,033 per game this year and 12,695 the year before. Let me tell you something, these numbers would compete with many MLS teams and the Impact has really done anything to market themselves in the city. Montreal is chalk full of soccer fans, everytime I head to a bar to watch the world cup qualies, champions league, or league matches, be rest assured the bar is filled with footie fans. I have no doubt Montreal in MLS could average 22k no problem.

kodiakTFC
11-23-2009, 02:22 PM
video of the stade saputo expansion incase you havent seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGH08UIgle0

Shway
11-23-2009, 02:43 PM

understandable.
However TFC is not only the closet franchise. But would come the largest in numbers.

The reason why i said they should expand to 25 is for the example reason of TFC.

TFC has how much on the waiting list?

Montreal should just expand to a substantial number, while being able to still keep a demand.

Its not lilke they havent shown they can fill a 25k stadium

Redcoe15
11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Why Vancouver?
Why bother asking him? He's just going to say something stupid as usual.

SilverSamurai
11-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Why Vancouver?
Because he's an idiot. :facepalm:

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Why Vancouver?

Because Mighty's been off his meds for a while.

ensco
11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
What they need in MTRL is a soccer related event that would see some increase economic activity so the the province could publicly justify paying for a portion of the stadium expansion and renovation. Ideally this event would occur before 2012.

FIFA U20 did that for Toronto.

If multiple levels of government and a private sector partner can cost share it's win/win. With the promise of enhanced economic activity governments can justify cost sharing ~25 million.

Until then.......we wait.

Maybe they should bid for the Pan American games?

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Maybe they should bid for the Pan American games?

They wouldn't want to, especially since they're still reeling from the Big Owe.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Why Vancouver?

Lets see, they have no SSS and looks like they may never get one...
there fans are still whinning over TFC winning the Canadian championship.. dont like BC place for football.

Macksam
11-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Lets see, they have no SSS and looks like they may never get one...
there fans are still whinning over TFC winning the Canadian championship.. dont like BC place for football.
So you really don't have an excuse.

scut farkus
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't think this has been posted anywhere, so here goes.....
I noticed that both Vancouver and Portland's MLS sites are vancouvermls2011.com and portlandmls2011.com...so out of curiosity I did a Whois search on montrealmls2012.com. Sure enough, it was registered by Saputo Dairy this August: http://www.whois.net/whois/montrealmls2012.com

Now, it's not a surprise that Montreal is serious about MLS in 2012 and it only makes sense to secure the domain in case they successfully make a bid. However, what I found much MORE interesting is that montrealmls2011.com was registered at the same time: http://www.whois.net/whois/montrealmls2011.com

It's possible they bought up the 2011 domain to catch any typos, etc., but then why didn't they register 2013? Is it possible that Montreal is seriously eyeing 2011?? MLSr posted a completely unsubstantiated rumour (http://www.mls-rumors.net/4753/2009/11/report-montreal-may-sit-out-2010/) (sorry for linking to them...) that Montreal is looking to replace Portland in 2011... Might there be some truth to it? Or maybe a third expansion team in 2011??

Sorry if this seems a little too tinfoil-hat! I just kind of found it a little interesting.

DOMIN8R
11-25-2009, 04:16 PM
^^^ excellent research!

pekduck
11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
^
montreal will be in, just a matter of finalizing details and clearing red tapes... so.. if everything works out.. it'll be announced

but... don't count the chickens until they are hatched

Cashcleaner
11-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't think this has been posted anywhere, so here goes.....
I noticed that both Vancouver and Portland's MLS sites are vancouvermls2011.com and portlandmls2011.com...so out of curiosity I did a Whois search on montrealmls2012.com. Sure enough, it was registered by Saputo Dairy this August: http://www.whois.net/whois/montrealmls2012.com

Now, it's not a surprise that Montreal is serious about MLS in 2012 and it only makes sense to secure the domain in case they successfully make a bid. However, what I found much MORE interesting is that montrealmls2011.com was registered at the same time: http://www.whois.net/whois/montrealmls2011.com

It's possible they bought up the 2011 domain to catch any typos, etc., but then why didn't they register 2013? Is it possible that Montreal is seriously eyeing 2011?? MLSr posted a completely unsubstantiated rumour (http://www.mls-rumors.net/4753/2009/11/report-montreal-may-sit-out-2010/) (sorry for linking to them...) that Montreal is looking to replace Portland in 2011... Might there be some truth to it? Or maybe a third expansion team in 2011??

Sorry if this seems a little too tinfoil-hat! I just kind of found it a little interesting.

Yeah it is a bit of a standard practise for a company or organization to buy up a domain name such as www.montrealmls2011.com for potential use in the near or distant future.

Now, the thing about Portland is that they still haven't worked out a venue deal between the club and the city. It really doesn't look good for them at all, which shouldn't be all that surprising. Let's face it, the Whitecaps have been making the news a heck of a lot more than the Timbers. I haven't heard shit about the Portland club since the expansion announcement, and from what I have seen, its mostly bad for them.

Montreal already has the organization in place, the facility, and guaranteed financial support from the province to expand Stade Saputo. What do the Timbers have?

Not saying this is a sure thing, but as it's been hypothesis before, it could very well be that Montreal is Garber's back-up plan if Portland well and truly falls through, and both him and Saputo have reached an agreement to that end.

kodiakTFC
11-26-2009, 02:29 AM
I read somewhere that Saputo was willing to join 2012 and forgo the expansion draft by using his USL side. I wonder if that is true at all and whether or not MLS would even consider that idea. Imagine how exciting 2011 would be if three great new markets such as these came in, the attendance average would surely go up 1000 at least.

GuelphStorm2007
11-26-2009, 02:43 AM
I am hoping for Montreal to be in, Once all the hurdles are figured out, I think they will be in 2012. Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, watch MLS attendance go up about 60%. That should put a frown on Bill Archers Face.

Cashcleaner
11-26-2009, 03:13 AM
I read somewhere that Saputo was willing to join 2012 and forgo the expansion draft by using his USL side. I wonder if that is true at all and whether or not MLS would even consider that idea. Imagine how exciting 2011 would be if three great new markets such as these came in, the attendance average would surely go up 1000 at least.

Hmmmm...now I haven't heard of that myself, but I gotta tell you it seems like a pretty good idea for MLS if they agreed to it. It would definitely save some cash for the league and the other clubs wouldn't have to go through the hassle like they normally would.

kodiakTFC
11-26-2009, 08:10 AM
I am hoping for Montreal to be in, Once all the hurdles are figured out, I think they will be in 2012. Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, watch MLS attendance go up about 60%. That should put a frown on Bill Archers Face.

Ratings in Canada are really going to spike, I would estimate (an uneducated guess, McCarthy[name right?] would be better at this) will at least triple.

Macksam
11-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Ratings in Canada are really going to spike, I would estimate (an uneducated guess, McCarthy[name right?] would be better at this) will at least triple.
I would imagine so since MLS would be covering at least 60% of the population with the three teams.

TFC247
11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
I would imagine so since MLS would be covering at least 60% of the population with the three teams.What's the possibility of adding one more Canadian team to that list? So essentially, 19th and 20h would be from Canada. It was something I thought very unlikely even just few months ago, but with the things the way it is now, with no other US market stepping up above the rest to be the 20th, and with momentum from Canadian markets, am I that crazy to suggest a 4th Canadian club?

Even more, if Van and Mon do succeed (marketwise) as we all expect them to, 4th club doesn't even have to be from as strong market. It's sort of like a 2nd tier market, and I can't imagine it will do worse than Columbus or KC, but with potential to be much better. With a strong ownership, a controlled venue, and of course $$$ for expansion fee, why not?

kodiakTFC
11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
What's the possibility of adding one more Canadian team to that list? So essentially, 19th and 20h would be from Canada. It was something I thought very unlikely even just few months ago, but with the things the way it is now, with no other US market stepping up above the rest to be the 20th, and with momentum from Canadian markets, am I that crazy to suggest a 4th Canadian club?

Even more, if Van and Mon do succeed (marketwise) as we all expect them to, 4th club doesn't even have to be from as strong market. It's sort of like a 2nd tier market, and I can't imagine it will do worse than Columbus or KC, but with potential to be much better. With a strong ownership, a controlled venue, and of course $$$ for expansion fee, why not?

You are crazy, we don't have a 4th market worth any while.

Cashcleaner
11-29-2009, 05:24 PM
What's the possibility of adding one more Canadian team to that list? So essentially, 19th and 20h would be from Canada. It was something I thought very unlikely even just few months ago, but with the things the way it is now, with no other US market stepping up above the rest to be the 20th, and with momentum from Canadian markets, am I that crazy to suggest a 4th Canadian club?

The only other options I could see for Canadian teams would be Ottawa or another in the GTA (possibly Hamilton) that would represent Ontario moreso than Toronto. I do believe Ottawa could support a team, just not out in Kanata where Melnyk wants the new stadium. And as far as I know, the ownership group in Ottawa is still interested in a franchise, but everything there is very conditional at the moment.

Personally, I would love to see 4 Canadian clubs in MLS, but only if they are able to thrive.

Oldtimer
11-30-2009, 08:43 AM

Probably not true, what benefit would that confer on MLS?

However, that being said, the Impact have a side that's at least as good as most MLS expansion sides, they could compete right away. A scrappy, dirty team, but one that can grind out wins.

Macksam
11-30-2009, 11:26 AM

Ottawa is the obvious answer but I think Calgary or Edmonton would be a better choice. You know, even out the distribution to two western and two eastern teams.

drewski
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I do believe Ottawa could support a team, just not out in Kanata where Melnyk wants the new stadium. And as far as I know, the ownership group in Ottawa is still interested in a franchise, but everything there is very conditional at the moment..

there's a report being put before Ottawa council today in which on option is to the baseball stadium on coventry rd into a soccer stadium

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/bulldog/archive/2009/12/01/city-has-three-proposals-for-operating-ottawa-stadium.aspx

Beach_Red
12-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Ottawa is the obvious answer but I think Calgary or Edmonton would be a better choice. You know, even out the distribution to two western and two eastern teams.

That would certainly increase TV ratings in Canada.

Redcoe15
12-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Don Garber was in Montreal today to discuss MLS expansion plans with Impact president Joey Saputo.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20091209&content_id=7781752&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Cashcleaner
12-09-2009, 10:07 PM

Out of the two, I'd say Calgary would be the best option. Personally, I'd still prefer Ottawa as the 4th Canadian team, but a Vancouver-Calgary rivalry would be kinda cool as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-09-2009, 10:22 PM
dont think we are going to see anymore canadian teams after Montreal

Cashcleaner
12-09-2009, 11:02 PM
^ Probably not, but it is fun to dream.

Blizzard
12-09-2009, 11:14 PM

.... and that's where, with any luck, the new NASL can be of benefit to Canadian soccer.

I just hope Edmonton can make it work this time.

Damien
12-09-2009, 11:50 PM

Yeh, that makes sense.

The rest of the Canadian teams can be in the NASL and still compete against each other in the Nutralite Canadian Championship Thingymabober.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2009, 12:23 AM
agreed with the both of you, id really like to see alot of canadian teams in the USL (and i hope very much so they are well supported financially and by fans)

kodiakTFC
12-10-2009, 12:33 AM
If MLS was home to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver while the NASL was home to Edmonton, Ottawa, and Quebec City the NCC would be absolutely massive.

Dirk Diggler
12-10-2009, 12:51 AM
If MLS was home to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver while the NASL was home to Edmonton, Ottawa, and Quebec City the NCC would be absolutely massive.

Don't think Quebec City is getting involved but Hamilton certainly has a decent chance of getting a USL franchise (or a NASL franchise I suppose). That would be awesome.

Keystone FC
12-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Don't think Quebec City is getting involved.
I remember seeing that Saputo would keep a franchise in the USL/NASL once they moved to MLS kind of like what Vancouver wants to do with Edmonton. It may not be QC but that was the city that Sap brought up.

LittleOzzy
12-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I remember seeing that Saputo would keep a franchise in the USL/NASL once they moved to MLS kind of like what Vancouver wants to do with Edmonton. It may not be QC but that was the city that Sap brought up.

I agree, once Montreal moves up I could see Quebec City getting a team.

I just don't see how "farm teams" could compete in the NCC considering they would basically be going up against the club they support. It just doesn't make sense.

Cashcleaner
12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I wonder if any of this might affect the CSL. That's the league that Montreal's current farm team plays in. I wonder if some of the clubs there now might be interested in moving up a tier.

rocker
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I agree, once Montreal moves up I could see Quebec City getting a team.

I just don't see how "farm teams" could compete in the NCC considering they would basically be going up against the club they support. It just doesn't make sense.

ya, they'd definitely have to be disqualified.
Cuz I'm certain that the farm team would lay down and die when playing the big club... Or at least there could be that impression.