PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Company Buys Pontiac Silverdome. Considering Soccer.

Redcoe15
11-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Interesting story from the Detroit news: (http://detnews.com/article/20091116/METRO03/911160405/Canadian-company-s-$583-000-bid-wins-auction-for-Silverdome)

Canadian company's $583,000 bid wins auction for Silverdome

Pontiac -- The city will sell the Pontiac Silverdome for $583,000 to a Canadian company that hopes to maintain it as a sports venue, city officials announced this afternoon.

The company's name is not being released until final details are being worked out, said Fred Leeb, the city's emergency financial manager. The company hopes to bring a soccer league to the site.

The company was one of four bidders considered today during an auction at the Marriott Hotel for the Silverdome, the former home to the Detroit Lions.

The 80,300-seat stadium and 127 adjacent acres are being auctioned by Tulsa, Okla.-based Williams & Williams auctioneer firm. Bidders had to submit their proposals by Thursday.

The Silverdome has sat largely empty since the Detroit Lions moved to Ford Field in 2002.

Its $1.5-million-a-year upkeep has been a drain on the city of Pontiac, now beset by budget woes and supervised by Fred Leeb, the city's emergency financial manager. The city invested $100,000 in marketing and advertising for the Silverdome's auction globally.

flatpicker
11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't know how realistic it is to get an MLS team in there,
But, Pontiac FC would be a pretty cool name!

Redcoe15
11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
New info. The Toronto based family real estate company wants to refurbish it and have MLS and women's pro teams playing out of there.

PONTIAC, Mich. - (Business Wire) Williams & Williams (http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.williamsauction.com%2F&esheet=6101659&lan=en_US&anchor=Williams+%26+Williams&index=1&md5=7d903e539c7e2638113422a9e991a356) (www.williamsauction.com (http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.williamsauction.com&esheet=6101659&lan=en_US&anchor=www.williamsauction.com&index=2&md5=ce31c41c3e0c6be04b4f5c2da25ae35a)), the premier brand in real estate auction, on behalf of the City of Pontiac, Michigan, announced today the auction for the Pontiac Silverdome was won by a family-owned real estate company based in Toronto, Canada with a high bid of $583,000. The winning bidder plans to refurbish the Stadium and utilize it for men’s Major League Soccer and women’s professional soccer teams. The successful bidder’s name is not being released until final details are worked out and the sale closes.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/canadian-company-wins-auction-for-the-pontiac-silverdome,1048201.shtml

rocker
11-16-2009, 07:31 PM
that's strange .. Detroit's down in the dumps economically... so not sure that's a good place for a new MLS team. and they'll have to do something to make the stadium smaller. No need for 80000 seats!!!! And they wouldn't be able to have grass.... so it'd be another field turf operation. Unless they rip off the roof (like Vancouver plans) and then construct a new roof on top.. but that would be weird.

Detroit_TFC
11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't buy it. 99.9% of the Silverdome development plans proposed since the Lions left have been steaming heaps of refried nothing. At least the fantasy development plans now include fantasy MLS teams, so that's a step forward I guess. Prediction: new owners tear down Silverdome in 6 months and do nothing with the property for 20 years.

Suds
11-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't buy it. 99.9% of the Silverdome development plans proposed since the Lions left have been steaming heaps of refried nothing. At least the fantasy development plans now include fantasy MLS teams, so that's a step forward I guess. Prediction: new owners tear down Silverdome in 6 months and do nothing with the property for 20 years.

I was thinking the same thing. This has redevelopment written all over it.

stugautz
11-16-2009, 09:49 PM
The silverdome is far from downtown...although Detroit might be one of the few cities where that's an advantage. The location around the silverdome from what I remember isn't exactly a busy area

s2cazz
11-16-2009, 09:55 PM
I can't see there being much of a market for soccer in detroit. As much as I wish it were true I know it isn't

C.Ronaldo
11-16-2009, 10:26 PM
cfl team?

LOL

BakaGaijin
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Interesting story from the Detroit news: (http://detnews.com/article/20091116/METRO03/911160405/Canadian-company-s-$583-000-bid-wins-auction-for-Silverdome)

127 acres, eh? Not a bad size. This must be the lastest dump site for Toronto's garbage.

Cashcleaner
11-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Hmmmmm... Not a lot of this adds up. The problem with the Silverdome is that is was always very far away from Detroit proper. Most fans wanting to watch the Lions play wouldn't have a problem heading out to Pontiac for an NFL match, but I really don't see that happening for pro soccer. I wouldn't write Detroit off entirely as a future candidate city for an MLS franchise, but I really don't think a venue like the Silverdome would work.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2009, 11:56 PM
USL (or whatever it is these days), they cannot support an MLS team

james
11-17-2009, 12:21 AM
they would have to renovate the stadium and down size it to at least 30,000 seats to make that place any good for MLS. But youd think it might just be easier and cost the same or maybe even less to just build a bran new 20,000 seat stadium then completely renovate and down size the dome!

ForestGlade
11-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Or just remove the roof and only sell lower bowl seats

The Silverdome was my favorite sporting venue growing up, and to have a soccer team in there.....hoo boy

Cas87
11-17-2009, 08:29 AM
cfl team?

LOL

There was actually talk about it this year,
Either WIdnsor/Detorit or Rochester for an expansion team

stugautz
11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
To put a CFL team in the Silverdome would require extensive renovations to the stadium to accomodate the field. Same with conversion to a soccer facility. Either way I don't see it working. But to have a new MLS rival down the 401...I wouldn't complain about that!

Detroit_TFC
11-17-2009, 09:40 AM
If one of you guys put in this bid as a practical joke, you're in big trouble LOL

Whoop
11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
$583,000 for the stadium?

Seems kind of cheap.

I guess the land is probably worth as much.

Super
11-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Supply and demand dictates cost - and right now Michigan is in serious financial dire straits. You can get a mansion for $10,000, so why not a stadium for $500,000? It's silly money for big items compared to how well things are going for us north of the border, but Michigan is just beyond fucked right now. I wouldn't invest in anything down there.

jabbronies
11-17-2009, 11:29 AM
don't forget Windsor, ontario is close by...they could be trying to tap into that market as well as Detroit.

Beach_Red
11-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Supply and demand dictates cost - and right now Michigan is in serious financial dire straits. You can get a mansion for $10,000, so why not a stadium for $500,000? It's silly money for big items compared to how well things are going for us north of the border, but Michigan is just beyond fucked right now. I wouldn't invest in anything down there.

There's a difference between Detroit and Michigan. You can get an old three story brick house in Detroit for ten grand, but houses in Grosse Pointe are holding their value.

But yes, supply and demand set the price here as the stadium was sold at auction, which is good. Michigan may not be such a bad investment. Detroit is a different story, of course.

Batman
11-17-2009, 05:53 PM
anybody think this might be just a real estate play... just thinking it's pretty cheap for 127 acres even if the Silverdome wasn't taking up some of the space.

Beach_Red
11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
anybody think this might be just a real estate play... just thinking it's pretty cheap for 127 acres even if the Silverdome wasn't taking up some of the space.

Sure. Aren't most stadiums built these days as part of larger development deals? The one in Kansas City is like that and the one in New York (New Jersey) would have been if the rest of the development hadn't fallen through.

We're just lucky the stadium in Toronto didn't get built as part of the huge new development going in at Woodbine racetrack.

Hitcho
11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey Batman did your nephew win the IKEA kitchen?!

On topic, clearly the SD won't be used for MLS in its current state. Big new development with a 20k-30k stadium, some practice pitches for rental income and some comemrcial development around the whole thing seems more likely.

But yeah, MLS in Detroit? If the fan base is there go for it. Not sure it would be though.

Batman
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Hitch,
No they never heard a word from ikea.
Thanks again for the efforts though.

RedRum
11-17-2009, 06:59 PM
If one of you guys put in this bid as a practical joke, you're in big trouble LOL

Ha... I remember us having a conversation in KC or Columbus about what would happen if Detroit got a team. Cmon man it's only 4 hours :D

rocker
11-17-2009, 07:10 PM
yeah hitcho,
they should rip off the roof. knock off the upper deck. build smaller roofs on either side. put in grass. put 20 fields for community use around it. If FC Dallas can survive on the fields income, they can in Michigan.

I'm just wondering if they could get 20000 out to a game there.

wzhxvy
11-17-2009, 07:26 PM
So these guys want to put an MLS team there ? Has anyone from the league heard from the before today ? You would think they would do some due diligence if they were serious and would have had discussions with the league. 500K is nothing, but there are taxes and maintenance costs...so they either tear it down or do something with it, but they must have a plan because although it looks like a 500K investment, in reality its much more.

billyfly
11-17-2009, 07:49 PM
They bought it for the average price of a house in Toronto.

stugautz
11-18-2009, 08:53 AM
yeah hitcho,
they should rip off the roof. knock off the upper deck. build smaller roofs on either side. put in grass. put 20 fields for community use around it. If FC Dallas can survive on the fields income, they can in Michigan.

I'm just wondering if they could get 20000 out to a game there.

For that cost it'd be cheaper to just tear it down and rebuild it. The actual structure is nothing impressive. I remember my first impression from the outside was "this is it?" Dark grey painted aluminum on the outside with exposed steel pillars.

http://www.williamsauction.com/silverdome/img/Large/1.jpg

This is what it might look like for soccer (I'm assuming the old astro turf will be replaced)

http://www.williamsauction.com/silverdome/img/Large/3.jpg

JonO
11-18-2009, 09:07 AM
I've been to the Silverdome for soccer. They had real grass at the time too. :D

Cas87
11-18-2009, 10:49 AM
For that cost it'd be cheaper to just tear it down and rebuild it. The actual structure is nothing impressive. I remember my first impression from the outside was "this is it?" Dark grey painted aluminum on the outside with exposed steel pillars.

http://www.williamsauction.com/silverdome/img/Large/1.jpg

This is what it might look like for soccer (I'm assuming the old astro turf will be replaced)

http://www.williamsauction.com/silverdome/img/Large/3.jpg

From the second pic, all you really need to do it take down the upper deck and maybe add some luxury boxes to the second (grey) deck.
Maybe a roof for the stands, with the hole in the roof for the field?

TOBOR !
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
at face value, I think MLS in Detroit would work. Cheaper ticket cost, smaller venue, in a downtown facility. If the intent is to put it in Pontiac then it will definitely fail. I'm sure Garber will recognise that.

flatpicker
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
^ But they could call them the Pontiac Firebirds... surely that equals a big win for soccer!

Beach_Red
11-18-2009, 01:07 PM
at face value, I think MLS in Detroit would work. Cheaper ticket cost, smaller venue, in a downtown facility. If the intent is to put it in Pontiac then it will definitely fail. I'm sure Garber will recognise that.

As people have said, Detroit may be one of the few cities where a suburban facility could work better.

Is there much high school or college soccer in Michigan?

C.Ronaldo
11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
As people have said, Detroit may be one of the few cities where a suburban facility could work better.

Is there much high school or college soccer in Michigan?

yah i think wolverines have soccer

james
11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
i dont picture Detroit getting a team soon. Garber said he wants a 20 team league, but philly, Vancouver and Portland put it at 18 teams for 2011. He also says he is still very interrested in getting a team in Montreal and is still talking to Montreal owners and they probably will be in MLS by 2011-2013. That would put it at 19. I think St.Louis or Miami would have a better chance at getting the 20th spot then Detroit. Detroit seems to be in a economic disaster that will get worse in the next few years. I dont think that Detroit Lions Stadium is even in the best location for a soccer stadium. Also the Dome needs major repairs and is way to big for a MLS team.

Detroit_TFC
11-19-2009, 07:11 PM
The winning bidder was revealed today as Andreas Apostolopoulos of Triple Properties. Anybody heard of this guy? He's quoted in the Detroit News as not having an "exact" plan for the property. Shocking.

thisisinternetclash
11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Some points about the Silverdome from a guy in Windsor who's been there:

- It's a good way out of downtown, but that's almost uniquely not that big of a deal in Detroit. There is no public transit in Michigan, really. Absolutely everybody drives. Few few people who could afford an MLS ticket actually live within Detroit city limits. The Pistons play a good while outside of Detroit, as did the Lions for years.

- There's a surprisingly large Mexican population in the Detroit area, as well as a good number of Polish and Lebanese, amongst other ethnic groups. There's also some pretty good youth football in Michigan. With appropriate, efficient marketing and the population of the Detroit Metropolitan Area Detroit could realistically cobble together a decent fanbase.

- There's been soccer played at the Silverdome in the past (World Cup 94, at the very least), so the stadium can accommodate it without much fuss.

- The location works in that it's directly in between Toronto and Columbus, and reasonably close to Chicago as well. That part is intriguing.

- The stadium is just way, way, way too big. It's absolutely cavernous. It's bigger than Giants Stadium. I can't see any way that it would possibly work there, unfortunately. It's literally four times larger than BMO field in terms of seating capacity. Even the crowds that Seattle are getting would make for an awful atmosphere there. If they're sincerely planning on using the stadium for soccer, they're completely out of their minds. I don't see how you could renovate it appropriately.

james
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Some points about the Silverdome from a guy in Windsor who's been there:

- It's a good way out of downtown, but that's almost uniquely not that big of a deal in Detroit. There is no public transit in Michigan, really. Absolutely everybody drives. Few few people who could afford an MLS ticket actually live within Detroit city limits. The Pistons play a good while outside of Detroit, as did the Lions for years.

- There's a surprisingly large Mexican population in the Detroit area, as well as a good number of Polish and Lebanese, amongst other ethnic groups. There's also some pretty good youth football in Michigan. With appropriate, efficient marketing and the population of the Detroit Metropolitan Area Detroit could realistically cobble together a decent fanbase.

- There's been soccer played at the Silverdome in the past (World Cup 94, at the very least), so the stadium can accommodate it without much fuss.

- The location works in that it's directly in between Toronto and Columbus, and reasonably close to Chicago as well. That part is intriguing.

- The stadium is just way, way, way too big. It's absolutely cavernous. It's bigger than Giants Stadium. I can't see any way that it would possibly work there, unfortunately. It's literally four times larger than BMO field in terms of seating capacity. Even the crowds that Seattle are getting would make for an awful atmosphere there. If they're sincerely planning on using the stadium for soccer, they're completely out of their minds. I don't see how you could renovate it appropriately.

they would have to take the roof off and take down the whole second and third deck of seats. But to do all that might cost more then to just build a new 20k stadium so really no point on doing that.

Also even Detroit Lions couldnt fill that huge Dome for years. I think the Lions use to get somethin like 60k a game.

thisisinternetclash
11-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Exactly. I remember the Lions games used to be blacked out even though they'd have crowds larger than most stadiums in the league could hold. It seems like it would be a huge, huge job to make any significant changes to the stadium.

s2cazz
11-20-2009, 12:32 AM
They just have to do a hell of a job drawing a crowd lol
Maybe they'll sign C Ronaldo, because the Becky experimant did so well (sarcasm)

Blizzard
11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Exactly. I remember the Lions games used to be blacked out even though they'd have crowds larger than most stadiums in the league could hold. It seems like it would be a huge, huge job to make any significant changes to the stadium.

It would be easier and cheaper to blow that one up and build a 25k seater from scratch ..... otherwise, you'd have to remove the roof (because you don't want one) then remove the upper deck and then figure out some way of downsizing the lower bowl (as you don't need 40k seats in a single tier) and then you put in drains capable of handling the heavy rains that fall in the area and then you install natural grass with undersoil heating and proper drainage and then you hope and pray you haven't already gone bankrupt.

Redcoe15
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
The sale of the Silverdome to Toronto's Triple Properties Inc. can now move forward.

http://freep.com/article/20091123/NEWS03/91123057/1318/Judge-Sale-of-Pontiacs-Silverdome-can-proceed