PDA

View Full Version : MLS Cup (is it on in Canada?)

keem-o-sabi
11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Is MLS Cup on TV here in Canada? If so it would be great to get together play pick up soccer from 630-8 in Stoney Creek and watch the match at 8:30...

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Doesnt the CBC have the rights for Canada? rather it be on Gol..but as long as its on!!

Rudi
11-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Doesnt the CBC have the rights for Canada? rather it be on Gol..but as long as its on!!
Good Lord, you're stupid. You would rather it's on a specialty digital channel that no one has versus a free-to-air broadcast network that anyone with a TV can access.

All of that said, it is indeed on Gol TV, at least according to the TFC official site.

Dirk Diggler
11-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Isn't the game on ABC as well?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Good Lord, you're stupid. You would rather it's on a specialty digital channel that no one has versus a free-to-air broadcast network that anyone with a TV can access.

All of that said, it is indeed on Gol TV, at least according to the TFC official site.
i would rather it be on a sooccer channel then a free to air broadcast that no one watches...

TFC USA
11-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Frankly I think the CBC should be dissolved. That way, Hockey Night in Canada can move to the NHL Network (you guys do have that right?) since it's hockey specific.

I'd rather pay money to watch sports I like than watch it for FUCKING FREE!

Jesus christ Mighty. :facepalm:

Rudi
11-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Isn't the game on ABC as well?
ESPN.

mdc 77
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Free tv sucks!

TFC USA
11-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Totally agree mdc_77. CBC sucks. DAMN THEM TRYING TO AIR TORONTO FC FOR FREE!

flatpicker
11-16-2009, 05:21 PM
ESPN, GolTV...

hmmm.... looks like I might have to hit a bar somewhere.

Anyone planning on going out to watch in Toronto?
Maybe Scally's, or perhaps that upstairs pub on Yonge south of Bloor (forget the name... is it the Duke maybe?).

mdc 77
11-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm thinking we should protest this somehow, first match next year?

^^Duke of Gloucester....might get out and watch this.

Carts
11-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes, ESPN in the states... For a few years, ABC aired ESPN's production of the game (which is good for the game as it gets it on free over the air broadcast)...

As for Canada... Being on GOL TV is a HUGE dissapointment... GOL TV rarely registers more than a 'DNR' in the ratings (which means 'Did Not Register' or under 1000 viewers)...

Ratings for the game on CBC would have probably been in or around the TFC average of 120,000 or so... However CBC has the Canadian Figure Skating Championship, and that will have well over 500,000 viewers (well over) which trumps the MLS huge...

mighty_torontofc_2008 comment about CBC is nothing more than a comment to get a rise out of people as he admits to doing - please ignore it & him...

The MLS should be looking to get the MLS Cup on a bigger network in Canada. With SportsNet broadcasting TFC matches and both having a much, much wider audience & households than GOL, and this being nothing more than an American pickup, I'm a little suprised neither of them took a shot.. Even just to throw it on a regional, which would get national air as there would be no CRTC problems...

TSN has NFL & TSN2 has a CFL replay that will outdraw the MLS Cup head-to-head by a wide margin...

The Score has NBA, which (when it doesn't involve the Raptors) would be a neck-and-neck with an MLS final in Canada...

Carts...

keem-o-sabi
11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
well if it's on GolTv, we have that at the soccer academy...so come to the pick-up soccer and bring some brews (as we have free reign on the place) and then let's watch the game on the bigscreen there.

pekduck
11-16-2009, 05:32 PM
well if it's on GolTv, we have that at the soccer academy...so come to the pick-up soccer and bring some brews (as we have free reign on the place) and then let's watch the game on the bigscreen there.

that place keem has is truly great for pickup game and viewing with giant flat screen TVs

Dirk Diggler
11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
So ABC is NOT showing the ESPN broadcast this year? What a missed opportunity considering how Goldenballs will be playing. Can't imagine they have anything better to show.

Carts
11-16-2009, 05:37 PM
So ABC is NOT showing the ESPN broadcast this year? What a missed opportunity considering how Goldenballs will be playing. Can't imagine they have anything better to show.

ABC - Sunday November 22nd = 2009 American Music Awards...

ESPN's reach in the US is much more than people think here in Canada... Now that the US has gone fully digital, most are with cable/satelite companies now and not relying on the old rabbit ears...

If it was on ESPN2 - that would be a hit. But ESPN is plenty big enough to show and expose the game properly...

Carts...

zeelaw
11-16-2009, 05:39 PM
ABC right

Carts
11-16-2009, 05:51 PM
ABC right

???

It was ABC a few times - produced by ESPN (as they're both owned by Disney)...

Much like you see TSN SportsCentre on CTV Sunday afternoons now - and during the Olympics, the Hockey will be 'TSN Produced' but aired on CTV...

Carts...

tfc2007
11-16-2009, 05:56 PM
lets just be happy it will be on tv and we dont all have to huddle around a radio and listen to the game.

sulfur
11-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Heck, according to ESPN, it's on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN Deportes. Oh, and Telefutura.

boban
11-16-2009, 06:28 PM
ESPN.
Are you sure. Last year it was on ABC.
I know its an ESPN production, but with Beckham finally in the finally I could see ABC broadcasting it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Frankly I think the CBC should be dissolved. That way, Hockey Night in Canada can move to the NHL Network (you guys do have that right?) since it's hockey specific.

its not Fucking free the canadian taxpayer keeps the cbc operating!! if cbc had to run without public money in would have gone bankrupt years ago!@!

Boris
11-16-2009, 06:38 PM
its not Fucking free the canadian taxpayer keeps the cbc operating!! if cbc had to run without public money in would have gone bankrupt years ago!@!

keep it calm.....

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-16-2009, 06:39 PM
keep it calm.....

sorry!!

Rudi
11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Are you sure. Last year it was on ABC.
I know its an ESPN production, but with Beckham finally in the finally I could see ABC broadcasting it.
Yes I'm sure.

ensco
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
It was on ABC when the game was at 12 noon, because ABC doesn't have NFL football and its affiliates are showing infomercials then.

But primetime? Fuhgeddaboudit. That's why it's on ESPN.

TFC USA
11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
It's on ESPN.

flatpicker
11-16-2009, 07:26 PM
So, if it's GolTV, then they would be smart to make the channel free that evening.
They would get a lot more viewers that way.

Gixmo
11-16-2009, 07:53 PM
So, if it's GolTV, then they would be smart to make the channel free that evening.
They would get a lot more viewers that way.

Well yes, and everyone would fill thier tanks up if gas was .50 cents a liter too :).. but it's not happening

Got GOL, I'm settled.

flatpicker
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Well yes, and everyone would fill thier tanks up if gas was .50 cents a liter too :).. but it's not happening

Got GOL, I'm settled.

Well, my tv at home is old and shitty, and wouldn't get Gol if I wanted to.
My girlfriends tv is a big, brand spankin' new, awesome tv... but I don't think she would let me watch enough soccer to make it worthwhile.

Then again, how much does it cost?

TorCanSoc
11-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Is MLS Cup on TV here in Canada? If so it would be great to get together play pick up soccer from 630-8 in Stoney Creek and watch the match at 8:30...

This sounds good to me.

keem-o-sabi
11-17-2009, 09:56 AM
It'll be a BYOB kinda thing.

prizby
11-17-2009, 10:20 AM

something like 2/3rds to 70% of all of CBC's ad revenue comes from HNIC

vweyonlah
11-17-2009, 10:26 AM
watch an online feed... it's always available in Canada

flatpicker
11-17-2009, 11:03 AM
So, Goltv costs $2.79 per month... is that right?

How good is Gol?
What leagues do they normally show?
Are there a lot of live games?

I might get my girlfriend to order it (since she has the awesome tv) and just payer her the $3.

*edit*... to answer my own question:
I see on their website that they feature Bundesliga, La Liga, and Serie A.
Do they also feature UK games?
Are the other leagues being called in English? (not a big fan of watching sports when I can't understand the commentary).

keem-o-sabi
11-17-2009, 12:19 PM
yes they are done in english, they don't have the UK games as setanta has the rights to those for the most part.

It's worth being able to see Barca play.

Oldtimer
11-17-2009, 12:42 PM
yes they are done in english, they don't have the UK games as setanta has the rights to those for the most part.

It's worth being able to see Barca play.

often by the one and only Ray Hudson, I love his commentary.

Hitcho
11-17-2009, 12:44 PM

How good is Gol?

I might get my girlfriend to order it (since she has the awesome tv) and just payer her the $3.

Are the other leagues being called in English? (not a big fan of watching sports when I can't understand the commentary).

Plus you get some TFC away games next season, they usually do a pretty decent pre-game show etc. You can convert your GF into a TFC fan and then no problem. Go onto the adidas.ca store and make good use the 40% discount Flats. Brainwash her. It's the only way...

flatpicker
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
^ She likes going to games... but she hates watching sports on tv.

She's a pretty determined woman... I don't think I will be changing her mind anytime soon.

Ultra & Proud
11-17-2009, 02:13 PM
My girlfriends tv is a big, brand spankin' new, awesome tv... but I don't think she would let me watch enough soccer to make it worthwhile.

Cheap. Something like $2.95/month.

csweeney
11-18-2009, 03:18 PM
The Grey Cup is on CBC that night!

Redcoe15
11-18-2009, 03:24 PM
The Grey Cup is on CBC that night!
I believe the Grey Cup is on the following Sunday.

bee dubya
11-18-2009, 04:15 PM
^ and the Grey Cup is on TSN this year.

MrHawk
11-18-2009, 04:18 PM
So the game is on ESPN?

sulfur
11-18-2009, 04:38 PM
The final is on ESPN2 (maybe ESPN) and GolTV.

flatpicker
11-18-2009, 04:50 PM
If anyone cares:
I'm gonna watch the game at Toby's Famous Eatery (it isn't really all that famous).
It's located just a few doors east of Sneaky Dee's (Bathurst and College).
They have $10 pitchers and 2lbs of wings for $8.99 (and the wings aren't too bad, and come with fries).

Nodoubtguy
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
If anyone cares:
I'm gonna watch the game at Toby's Famous Eatery (it isn't really all that famous).
They have $10 pitchers and 2lbs of wings for $8.99 (and the wings aren't too bad, and come with fries).

hmmmm......I might make it out there then, not too far from me

Gixmo
11-21-2009, 11:46 AM

I'm paying $2.50 via Bell

How good is Gol?

I have yet to come across an English EPL/Coca Cola match etc. There is plenty of Serie A, Bundesliga etc. There is also a good selection of South American reporting/news on leagues south of the equator. Factor in some of the news and interview programs, it's well worth it in my eyes and my fiancee agrees. Commentary has always been english, infact the really exhuberent scottish guy was on the other night, makes me howl listening to him.

There have been MLS matches on, escalating in frequency lately which I hope is a good sign for next year - Wouldn't mind watching a few different games from out regions.

The other night Jay Nolly was on being interviewed in some talk show type setting. It wasn't too bad, somewhat amateur, but to the point.. and the chick hosting it was wonderful to look at for 30 minutes so I had no complaints. She's fine.

The TFC Content can appear to be shot with a camcorder at times, but the material is pretty good - It's nice to see what the facilities look like and the day to day operations. Resolution is fairly decent on a large screen television, can be a bit pixalated at times but generally acceptable. I'm pretty satisfied with the monthly fee, considering I merely got it for the disaster in new york.

sulfur
11-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Setanta (via The Score) has the rights to all English games. They sublicense two off to Sportsnet a week, and The Score has the 11am Sunday game weekly. Everything else English is on Setanta.

GolTV is primarily Bundesliga, La Liga, South American stuff, and MLS.

flatpicker
11-21-2009, 12:44 PM
I have a feeling I will not get Goltv.
I mean, how many games do I need to watch every week?
Between TFC and weekend Sportsnet games, I think my needs are met.

Gixmo
11-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Setenta, at $14.99, is what turns me off.. If it was Gol Priced, I'd have both.

TFCRegina
11-21-2009, 12:52 PM

It's worth it. It is so worth it. I wish I still had it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-21-2009, 01:54 PM

currently have both and its great for the best football coverage ever in this country!!

Gixmo
11-21-2009, 02:01 PM
I dont agree the value is there, I'm all for it.. However, recently bought a house, wedding on way, Fiancee in school, Season ticket renewals pushing me into the Prawnies.. So priorities!

Torontotonto
11-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Free tv sucks!

Nothing wrong with free TV.
You must work for ROGERS...

:drum::scarf::drum:

Dirk Diggler
11-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Why would free tv suck? Check that ... how can anything free suck?

prizby
11-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm paying $2.50 via Bell

I have yet to come across an English EPL/Coca Cola match etc. There is plenty of Serie A, Bundesliga etc. There is also a good selection of South American reporting/news on leagues south of the equator. Factor in some of the news and interview programs, it's well worth it in my eyes and my fiancee agrees. Commentary has always been english, infact the really exhuberent scottish guy was on the other night, makes me howl listening to him.

There have been MLS matches on, escalating in frequency lately which I hope is a good sign for next year - Wouldn't mind watching a few different games from out regions.

The other night Jay Nolly was on being interviewed in some talk show type setting. It wasn't too bad, somewhat amateur, but to the point.. and the chick hosting it was wonderful to look at for 30 minutes so I had no complaints. She's fine.

The TFC Content can appear to be shot with a camcorder at times, but the material is pretty good - It's nice to see what the facilities look like and the day to day operations. Resolution is fairly decent on a large screen television, can be a bit pixalated at times but generally acceptable. I'm pretty satisfied with the monthly fee, considering I merely got it for the disaster in new york.

I believe the guy you are talking about is Ray Hudson - he is English and the best commentator ever...they also have a lot of la liga, i find serie A to be more on fox sports world

TFC_Junky
11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
It's on down here in the Coronado (Panama) area. They love their footy down here, it's on 24 hours a day!!!

Macksam
11-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I believe the guy you are talking about is Ray Hudson - he is English and the best commentator ever...they also have a lot of la liga, i find serie A to be more on fox sports world
Ray Hudson sounds like he's having a heart attack every five seconds. Worst commentator ever.

mdc 77
11-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Nothing wrong with free TV.
You must work for ROGERS...

:drum::scarf::drum:

That was extreme sarcasm.

flatpicker
11-22-2009, 04:29 PM
If anyone cares:

hmmmm......I might make it out there then, not too far from me

I should be there by 8:00
I'm looking forward to the game,
But I may be almost as excited for the cheap wings and beer!

Carts
11-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Anyone else watching the game anywhere...?

College/Bathurst is a bit of a hike for me, but $10 pitchers is AWESOME... :drinking:

I was thinking of heading to Scallywags for the game...

Carts...

SteeltownBhoy
11-22-2009, 04:58 PM
You know I still can't get GOL TV in downtown Hamilton on Cogeco cable. They keep saying if they get more demand for it they would consider offering it.

So I will have to use an internet stream. But at least there should be some good ones tonight, so I can use the Veetle Player.

Nodoubtguy
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I should be there by 8:00
I'm looking forward to the game,
But I may be almost as excited for the cheap wings and beer!

I dunno if I'm making it out....just got in from being out all day and am really tired.

flatpicker
11-22-2009, 05:53 PM
I dunno if I'm making it out....just got in from being out all day and am really tired.

http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

;)

egoodwin
11-22-2009, 08:24 PM
shame it's not in HD

actually it's a disgrace that the title game, is not offered in HD here