PDA

View Full Version : TFC TV in Scotland - MoJo inducted into Scottish Football Hall Of Fame

Blizzard
11-15-2009, 08:10 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1460

wzhxvy
11-15-2009, 08:45 PM
So happy for the guy.

Brooker
11-15-2009, 10:02 PM
fully deserved.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-16-2009, 12:29 AM
He was a hell of a footy player...cheers MO!

Shakes McQueen
11-16-2009, 08:17 AM
What's with the background music?

- Scott

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I bet this has pissed off a few people in Glaz-gee!

I'll be a lot more excited when Mo gets inducted into the MLS Hall of Fame for GM'ing TFC to seven consecutive MLS Cup titles... :D:D:D

flatpicker
11-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Congrats Mo!

Anyone have that link to the documentary on Mo?

SteeltownBhoy
11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
30 Pieces of silver. We will never forget!!

stretchthetruth
11-16-2009, 11:34 AM

- Scott

its like a trailer for Home Alone or something... i kept waiting for a cat to jump out and do something mischevious...

canadian_bhoy
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Congrats Mo!

Anyone have that link to the documentary on Mo?

It's on www.celticunderground.net (http://www.celticunderground.net)
For some reason, the site isn't loading right now.

In the search, you won't find it if you type Mo or Johnston - you have to search Judas.

got it working
http://celticunderground.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=731&Itemid=65

Don't be fooled when the interview the Rangers supporters in the pub. It's not the 1800's - it's the 1980's.

30 Pieces of silver. We will never forget!!

Not even so much that he went to Rangers (we've seen this happen since). It was more about the way that it happened.

The signing basically set Rangers on the way to 9 strait titles and it put Celtic in a turmoil that took a decade to recover from.

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 01:55 PM
It's on www.celticunderground.net (http://www.celticunderground.net)
For some reason, the site isn't loading right now.

In the search, you won't find it if you type Mo or Johnston - you have to search Judas.

got it working
http://celticunderground.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=731&Itemid=65

Don't be fooled when the interview the Rangers supporters in the pub. It's not the 1800's - it's the 1980's.

Not even so much that he went to Rangers (we've seen this happen since). It was more about the way that it happened.

The signing basically set Rangers on the way to 9 strait titles and it put Celtic in a turmoil that took a decade to recover from.

First off, I am totally neutral in this as regards the old firm. But I don't see how the last minute change of mind led to 9 nine years of celtic losing the title to rangers? I mean, it was pre-Bosman so there was no walk out on a massive transfer fee. And I didn't see anyting in that documentary about celtic cancelling a big name transfer because mo was coming in, and then he left them in the lurch. in fact, the way that thing was presented it looks like Mo was dragging his feet but celtic actually pulled the plug, then mo signed for rangers instead.

now before i get a hundred angry scotsmen screaming at me, this is just what i could make out from a quick view of that clip, and I have to say I couldn't understand a lot of it, even though i used to live in Aberdeen for three years when i was a kid.

i get the whole "moves to hated rivals at last minute" thing, and the added religious aspects, but what's the whole "9 years of losing" issue?

either way, nice for mo to be inducted and he certainly seems to have his own piece of folklore in scotland, but i still think he has to go from TFC.

canadian_bhoy
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
You gotta understand the situation at the time.

The Celtic board was a bit of a mess (and would years later be forced out). Their handling of the Mojo situation was indicitive of how they ran the club at the time. When Mo opted for Rangers it sent a shockwave through Scottish football and I'm sure left people thinking "How bad must that board be if he's going to their greatest rivals in spite of them".

Also - Mo going to Rangers made their team stronger and showed the league that they were pushing for success and didn't care who they had to bring in to get it.

Mo was a small piece in a much larger puzzle and really served to set things in motion for the next decade.

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 02:51 PM

The Celtic board was a bit of a mess (and would years later be forced out). Their handling of the Mojo situation was indicitive of how they ran the club at the time. When Mo opted for Rangers it sent a shockwave through Scottish football and I'm sure left people thinking "How bad must that board be if he's going to their greatest rivals in spite of them".

Also - Mo going to Rangers made their team stronger and showed the league that they were pushing for success and didn't care who they had to bring in to get it.

Mo was a small piece in a much larger puzzle and really served to set things in motion for the next decade.

But became the figure of blame for the whole puzzle?

SteeltownBhoy
11-16-2009, 03:17 PM
30 pieces of silver, we will never forget!!

Shakes McQueen
11-16-2009, 03:54 PM

But then - shouldn't Celtic fans be more pissed off at the board members who bungled things?

- Scott

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 03:58 PM
^ too simple. it's easier to get pissed off at a "judas" figure, especially when you throw in the sectarian aspect of it all.

football fans love to hate. god knows we've seen it on here enough times and we have nothing compared to the old firm history!

Shakes McQueen
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I get hating a player for moving to your bitter rivals, but the situation with Mo among Celtic supporters seems to be especially venomous.

- Scott

Beach_Red
11-16-2009, 05:38 PM

The Celtic board was a bit of a mess (and would years later be forced out). Their handling of the Mojo situation was indicitive of how they ran the club at the time.

The doc also mentions that Mo's contract was owned by a private company (likely that his agent at the time had a share of) and they wanted eight hundred grand - in addition to what was to be paid to the french team. How common is it now for soccer players contracts to be owned by third parties, and how common was it then? It really seems like a lot of that situation was a mess.

canadian_bhoy
11-16-2009, 06:21 PM
But became the figure of blame for the whole puzzle?

He is a piece of the puzzle, but the reason he is hated is because despite the screw ups of the board, he put on the hoops - then went to Rangers.

But then - shouldn't Celtic fans be more pissed off at the board members who bungled things?

- Scott

^ too simple. it's easier to get pissed off at a "judas" figure, especially when you throw in the sectarian aspect of it all.

football fans love to hate. god knows we've seen it on here enough times and we have nothing compared to the old firm history!

The board got theirs. The Celtic supporters basically rode them out of town for their mismanagement and borderline destruction of the club. It wasn't until Canadian Scot Fergus McCann stepped in along with a huge share purchase by Celtic fans that the club turned it around.

The late 80's early 90's are known for 2 things:

1) One of the club's most popular players seemingly returns only to go to their greatest rivals and win.

2) The sack the board movement

Thankfully the club turned it around winning the Scottish Cup in 95 and going on to win the league in 1998 (the first time since 1988).

interesting articles on the 94 takeover can be found here.
http://www.kerrydalestreet.com/page/Celtic+Takeover

canadian_bhoy
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Here's another good read. Albeit from a Celtic perspective - this one does well to show how much Mo was loved by Celtic supporters until that fateful day in 1989
http://www.kerrydalestreet.com/page/Johnston%2C+Maurice

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Meh - too much Celtic stuff for me, sorry Mike!

On the other hand, be great to see the Scottish connection with TFC grow a bit when NICOL takes over as head coach! ;-)

canadian_bhoy
11-16-2009, 09:56 PM
apparently Nicol's name popped up for the vacant Scotland Manager job.

Great for Scotland, not so much for us.

I get the feeling this Preki thing may be unavoidable.

Unless Rudi starts a rumour that Johan Cruyff will be our man!

mastermixer
11-16-2009, 10:41 PM

- Scott

Who is he Dr Evil? Lol.