PDA

View Full Version : Ives: Toronto FC to hire Preki as new head coach

rowan
11-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Toronto FC has tried and failed for three straight years to make the playoffs, so finding a coach capable of getting the club over that hurdle was vital this winter. TFC has found just such a coach in one of the most sought-after coaching prospects in American soccer.

Toronto FC will hire Preki as the club's fourth head coach, sources told SBI on Friday. Preki will take over for former interim head coach Chris Cummins, who was not retained after taking over for former head coach John Carver...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/11/toronto-fc-to-hire-preki-as-new-head-coach.html

VPjr
11-14-2009, 11:25 AM
well, I'm somewhat surprised that Preki would work for Mo but I can't really criticize the selection if it is true.

If Ives is publishing it, its most def coming direct from Mo. Question is whether its a trial balloon or the real deal. My guess is that it's the real deal.

canadian_bhoy
11-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Ives is pretty tight with Mo - so I would say that this is more than just a rumour. I also think it's a disappointment.

ChrisLav
11-14-2009, 11:26 AM
That's who I hoped they could get, not that I have any expertise in this.

TFCRegina
11-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Please please please tell me this is true. Preki rules

Aroundtheworld
11-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Preki's a hard-ass, just what this team needs

Auzzy
11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
So know who's going to take TFC's corner kicks and free kicks?

ArmenJBX
11-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah, Guevara is out now for sure.

Shway
11-14-2009, 11:37 AM
OMG!!!!!

THIS IS A GREAT SIGNING
Why you might ask?

Because Preki is a tactical coach and not the typical UK style coach that has been here since day one.

I hope this is true, hope he is the manager for a club record (2 years)lol

justin
11-14-2009, 11:39 AM
im ok with this. nicol would have been nice, but preki is definitely still a huge improvement

TFCtoMUFC
11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Preki's a hard-ass, just what this team needs

LOVE THE PREKI!

http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/bios/photos/preki.jpg

http://i.media.goal.com/g/24262_news.jpg

^Thats what he'll look like on the bench, LOVE IT!

cuecas_red
11-14-2009, 11:46 AM
since preki played with Mo in Kanas, does that mean he also played with Garcia? and the GM and the coach will be tight with Garcia?

TFCtoMUFC
11-14-2009, 11:47 AM

I'm ok with that, loved how Guevara played but he isn't getting much younger and will be zoned in on the WC. This will make room for Amadou, which from what I've seen can't be a bad thing.

flatpicker
11-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Good to have this issue sorted.
Here I was thinking that we wouldn't hear about a new coach until training camp started.
TFC doing something promptly?... That's crazy!

TFCtoMUFC
11-14-2009, 11:48 AM
since preki played with Mo in Kanas, does that mean he also played with Garcia? and the GM and the coach will be tight with Garcia?

Garcia played with Preki, Mo played with Garcia but all three did not play together at the same time. Pretty scary to think that Garcia could have an "in" with that, or to play devil's advocate they could know first hand how bad he is.

Auzzy
11-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I think Garcia was pretty good back then. San Jose fans really felt Garcia went downhill just in the last year or so.

Yohan
11-14-2009, 12:03 PM
hopefully good foundation for TFC to build a future on

TFCtoMUFC
11-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I think Garcia was pretty good back then. San Jose fans really felt Garcia went downhill just in the last year or so.

I can't see Preki want Guevara out but be cool with Garcia. That would be so ridiculously stupid, that I can't comprehend that.

Lucky Strike
11-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Preki's a great choice, IMHO. As for Guevara vs. Preki, we know the bad history, but has no one stopped to consider that it might be OK? They're grown men (and Guevara a changed man) and might very well have moved past it since then or discuss it and be able to move past it now. I certanly hope so because Guevara is a quality player, the kind TFC needs.

If the report is true of course.

twistedchinaman
11-14-2009, 12:11 PM
This is a step in the right direction...:)

Damien
11-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Guevara's probably done anyway. Welcome to Toronto, Preki.

Hopefully we'll be more of a possession team next year.

jloome
11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Preki is a very good selection for this club...potentially.

Depends whom he has to work with. Right now, we have too many egos for a disciplinarian to simply fix the problem. He has to weed out some of the shit, first.

And I don't mean Amado, although from my understanding of Preki's view of Guevara -- he benched him for work ethic -- Amado won't be sticking around.

Preki did play with Mo at Everton, so they know each other. Mo was a striker, Preki was a winger. Then again, Bob Gansler was Mo's former coach, and that didn't help.

But his reputation is as a technician and a tactician who basically brooks zero shit and keeps hold of the dressing room via discipline.

Chivas seriously overachieved under him, if you look at their roster over the last three seasons.

jloome
11-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I can't see Preki want Guevara out but be cool with Garcia. That would be so ridiculously stupid, that I can't comprehend that.

Yeah, but keep in mind both Preki and Mo played until ages beyond the norm, so they might have a bias towards believing age is just a number -- which is a hell of a lot more true for a pedigree'd striker or forward than a 5'10 MLS-raised centre half.

Redpunkfiddle
11-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, but keep in mind both Preki and Mo played until ages beyond the norm, so they might have a bias towards believing age is just a number -- which is a hell of a lot more true for a pedigree'd striker or forward than a 5'10 MLS-raised centre half.

Well these choices will be influenced by player moves in the offseason. That awesome new CBthat Mo will sign for instance.

I like it. The man has proved he directs based on effort, output and working as a team. Let the wakeup begin.

Beach_Red
11-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Well these choices will be influenced by player moves in the offseason. That awesome new CBthat Mo will sign for instance.

I like it. The man has proved he directs based on effort, output and working as a team. Let the wakeup begin.

If it's true and he signs now it looks like he'll have a lot of input on the roster for next season. It would be great to start a season with the team in place.

ArmenJBX
11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Let's see who he brings with him from Chivas.

I've got my eye out for one "Sacha Kljestan" if Amado ain't gunna be around...

mclaren
11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
OMG!!!!!

THIS IS A GREAT SIGNING
Why you might ask?

Because Preki is a tactical coach and not the typical UK style coach that has been here since day one.

I hope this is true, hope he is the manager for a club record (2 years)lol

What is a UK style coach? Does the UK only have one type of coach?

Redpunkfiddle
11-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Point well made. Let's not get into THAT argument. Again. Everybody.

koryo
11-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Ives is pretty tight with Mo - so I would say that this is more than just a rumour. I also think it's a disappointment.

That depends on whether Preki is his own man or a Johnston mouth-piece.

TFC07
11-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Great signing, but I thought he was going to join USMNT?

EDIT: Why did Chivas let him go?

Redcoe15
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
The only thing I will say is that Preki and Mo know each other for a long time. Will Mo leave Preki alone and let him do his job? Or will Preki become another puppet of Mo's? :noidea:

I wanna be positive about this rumour.

rocker
11-14-2009, 01:59 PM
does anyone really think a guy like Preki would be a puppet? he seems like the kind of dude that will tell you what he thinks no matter what. seems like the kind of guy who would storm in to his boss's office and tell him off. hahah

i preferred Nicol, but I think Preki's teams have solid fundamentals, which would be nice to see at TFC. He does seem a bit "on the edge" at times.. .and perhaps his success could be attributed to simply dumping the guys who don't do it his way, and signing bit players who will support their leader. Nicol is a passionate dude too, but seemed to have much better relationships with his players... and solid success too.

But Preki is miles ahead of any coach we've had.

Strikers
11-14-2009, 02:00 PM
If this is true this is a positive signing for the club. Preki is an experienced MLS manager. Something the club really needed.

Now all this talk about Mo being buddies with Preki and Preki might be Mo's puppet is nonsense. Let's also remember that Steve Nicol is buddies with Mo and no one has thought of making the same comments about Nicols being a puppet as well.

MUFC_Niagara
11-14-2009, 02:05 PM

I'm a bit worried that Preki will bow down to Mo and not be his own man. God, our club is a mess at the meoment. :facepalm:

MUFC_Niagara
11-14-2009, 02:06 PM
If this is true this is a positive signing for the club. Preki is an experienced MLS manager. Something the club really needed.

Now all this talk about Mo being buddies with Preki and Preki might be Mo's puppet is nonsense. Let's also remember that Steve Nicol is buddies with Mo and no one has thought of making the same comments about Nicols being a puppet as well.

Don't be so sure about that. We'll see what happens and I will reserve judgement until the season gets rolling but if Preki is just another Mo croney then we are in trouble...again.

Blizzard
11-14-2009, 02:08 PM

Not at the cost of their own jobs!

Nuvinho
11-14-2009, 02:10 PM
I was hoping that we'd make a pitch for Preki.

Experienced and does not take crap from his players. I think he benched Sasha for not performing on the pitch and having attitude issues. We need that in our locker room.

Hitcho
11-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Nicol Nicol Nicol Nicol Nicol

This is just a smoke screen for Nicol

Pookie
11-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm open to it but I'm not going to jump for joy either.

How much of a "hard ass" can a guy be if he has only been a head coach in the MLS for 3 years? Hopefully, he can leverage his extensive playing career to make up that shortfall as he deals with the players and politics around this team.

3 years in coaching circles is pretty much the same being in the first month of a new job. Hell, Cummins has a year under his belt.

I'm all for new tactics and player insight and good luck to him. I'm going to hold off on popping that bottle of champagne for now... maybe at least until we have a true "Manager"

wzhxvy
11-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Relatively pleased with this but does not change that MO HAS TO GO

Lennon
11-14-2009, 03:10 PM
does anyone really think a guy like Preki would be a puppet? he seems like the kind of dude that will tell you what he thinks no matter what. seems like the kind of guy who would storm in to his boss's office and tell him off. hahah

+1

That and Preki's possession driven style makes this a good signing imo ...

DigzTFC!
11-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Preki is THE perfect guy for TFC

1) He doesn't care who you are, he doesn't take any shit - Example benching and trading Guevara away when Chivas traded their DP for him. That takes some serious balls.

2) He has led his team to the playoffs three straight years

3) He is great at identifying talent - Flores and Justin Braun. He has access to the entire CSL.

4) He plays an attacking/possession style of football. Much more attractive than the previous years.

TFCRegina
11-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Not just the CSL, he has a large number of PDL teams as well, and the PDL is largely underscouted by MLS.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Pretty excited by the potential of this. Curious to see whether there will be a cleaning of house (which is definitely necessary, im a fan of Guevara btw, but his time has come, hes one of several). Kinda feel like this signing will put some pressure on Mo.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Looks like a great move on paper, certainly checks the "MLS experience" box. I just hope that he's going to have input regarding trades / drafting / transfer side of things. As for looking for players in the CSL and PDL, I think it's a great idea, but certainly that's more something Mo should be doing rather than a head coach?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Looks like a great move on paper, certainly checks the "MLS experience" box. I just hope that he's going to have input regarding trades / drafting / transfer side of things. As for looking for players in the CSL and PDL, I think it's a great idea, but certainly that's more something Mo should be doing rather than a head coach?

all very fucking key

ilikemusic
11-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Great move IMO.

ag futbol
11-14-2009, 03:42 PM
It will be interesting to see his take on player selections. At Chivas he was subject to at the very least a fair degree of meddling. Any way this guy wanted to bring in Jesús Padilla (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Jes%C3%BAs_Padilla) ? no mas.

The point made by somebody about him favoring the older guys is valid from what i hear.

Snoop
11-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey Guys, how do you pronounce our new gaffers name?
Is it Pricky? or is it just like its spelled?
Honest question

CretanBull
11-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Pretty excited by the potential of this. Curious to see whether there will be a cleaning of house (which is definitely necessary, im a fan of Guevara btw, but his time has come, hes one of several). Kinda feel like this signing will put some pressure on Mo.

This doesn't put any pressure on Mo...Mo wouldn't have signed Preki if it would put pressure on him.

CretanBull
11-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey Guys, how do you pronounce our new gaffers name?
Is it Pricky? or is it just like its spelled?
Honest question

Prek-key

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Cant wait for day one..Preki must go...:}

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2009, 04:14 PM
This doesn't put any pressure on Mo...Mo wouldn't have signed Preki if it would put pressure on him.

Ideally Preki is a man that will speak his mind. Theres little to suggest that he does otherwise. I want Mo gone, its taken me two years to figure this out but hes in no position to continue to keep covering himself with shoddy coach signings. Will the supporters accept the coach (with his record) as being responsible for not making the play offs for a 4th year in a row? doubtful. In turn will MLSE still continue to support a man thats done a mediocre job at the helm with its supporters openly speaking against him (this of course is up for debate amongst leaf fans etc etc, but lets stick to soccer here) once again, doubtful.

Luanda
11-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Confirmation please....

CretanBull
11-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Mo knows Preki from their playing days together...I can only assume that Mo is confident that they will have a good working relationship - which in his mind, means having control.

rocker
11-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Will the supporters accept the coach (with his record) as being responsible for not making the play offs for a 4th year in a row? doubtful. l.

yeah, if the team fails to make the playoffs under Preki then it's on Mo. Preki made the playoffs three years in a row with Chivas. Then who knows.. maybe they'd just give the big job to Preki instead of buying out his 2-3 remaining contract years.

zeelaw
11-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Confirmation please....

It's Soccer By Ives.. guy is usually spot on

Dirk Diggler
11-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I would have preferred Nicol but Preki is a good choice too. I'm glad that we finally have a coach who we know is an "edgy" kind of guy but at least he has the pedigree to back it up unlike the last two coaches we've had.

TFCtoMUFC
11-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Let's see who he brings with him from Chivas.

I've got my eye out for one "Sacha Kljestan" if Amado ain't gunna be around...

That would be awesome. I'd buy a Kljestan jersey immediately if we got him.

Question though (not directed specifically at you Jimmy) do you think that Mo tried to get Nicol and he said no or did Mo see "ooooohhhh Preki" and just sign him?

TFCtoMUFC
11-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Confirmation please....

680 news was reporting it confirmed.

CretanBull
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I would have preferred Nicol but Preki is a good choice too. I'm glad that we finally have a coach who we know is an "edgy" kind of guy but at least he has the pedigree to back it up unlike the last two coaches we've had.

Huh? You think Preki's "pedigree" is better than Carver's? You think 3 years at Chivas is more valueable than time spent at giant clubs like Newcastle and Leeds? One day spent with Sir Bobby Robson is worth more than 3 years of MLS experience.....

CretanBull
11-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Question though (not directed specifically at you Jimmy) do you think that Mo tried to get Nicol and he said no or did Mo see "ooooohhhh Preki" and just sign him?

I don't think Nicol would be interested in working under someone...if he was offered the proper job of manager and not just coach I'm sure he'd jump at the opportunity. As it is, Nicol knows Mo...which is probably enough reason for him to stay away.

nimamalek
11-14-2009, 05:02 PM
One day spent with Sir Bobby Robson is worth more than 3 years of MLS experience.....

not really, 3 years as head coach in the MLS is important. He understands the league, understands the players and has a good grasp of the roster rules. This is a great pick up for TFC, now we just need a couple of defenders and wingers

Dirk Diggler
11-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Huh? You think Preki's "pedigree" is better than Carver's? You think 3 years at Chivas is more valueable than time spent at giant clubs like Newcastle and Leeds? One day spent with Sir Bobby Robson is worth more than 3 years of MLS experience.....

Are you being facetious?

CretanBull
11-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, given the circumstances I think Preki is a decent choice but it's absurd to claim that he's got some sort of pedigree that Carver didn't have....

CretanBull
11-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Are you being facetious?

Not at all.

Super
11-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Well, Preki has yet to sign, but if he does, we'll have to wait and see if he is able to produce better results than Carver.

Dirk Diggler
11-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Not at all.

It disturbs me that you believe spending time with Sir Bobby Robson is more important than having a coach who knows what the league is about and has 3 years of experience (good experience no less). There is no question in my mind that Preki, in his short managing career thus far, has better pedigree than Carver.

Nuvinho
11-14-2009, 05:18 PM
fan590 frontpage

http://www.fan590.com/

also Sharman has something on the Footy Blog.

Super
11-14-2009, 05:19 PM
It disturbs me that you believe spending time with Sir Bobby Robson is more important than having a coach who knows what the league is about and has 3 years of experience (good experience no less). There is no question in my mind that Preki, in his short managing career thus far, has better pedigree than Carver.

Carver is not a bad coach because he failed in the MLS - he's just not suited for the MLS. The MLS is not for everyone, and I acknowledge that. Alex Ferguson might fail here too - or quit because we're so far behind what he is used to. Nothing wrong with that - the league is still young.

I'd rather have Nicol, but he's just not available. Preki is without a shadow of a doubt the second best choice - and a pretty damn good one at that. He successfully brought Chivas into the play-offs 3 years in a row. Sure, he didn't make it past round 1 in any of the attempts, but we all know the nature of the play-offs - so I won't take anything away from him on that note. If he can bring us into the play-offs, and I believe he can, then I'll consider him a success at this club in our year 4.

Beach_Red
11-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Nicol is still under contract at NE - two more years, I think. There is no way MLSE would have bought out the contract or even paid them what Seattle paid Columbus for tampering with Sigi.

rocker
11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm with Dirk...

Carver had barely been a head coach before he came to TFC (couple games as a caretaker).

Preki *played* in MLS for about ten years... then went into coaching and was a head coach in MLS for 3 years. Much better pedigree than Carver. Not to mention the fact Preki played the sport at a very high level and Carver played a handful of games himself.

Preki's won-loss-tie record is also miles better than Carver's.

Super
11-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Preki has a career record of 49-29-21. Winning half his games? That's VERY impressive in this league! I think Mo scored for us on this one.

Nuvinho
11-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Preki's won-loss-tie record is also miles better than Carver's.

Preki's record

49-29-21

Beach_Red
11-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Preki has a career record of 49-29-21. Winning half his games? That's VERY impressive in this league! I think Mo scored for us on this one.

I think, once again, the supporters should take a lot of the credit (though one of the blame if this doesn't work out ;)). They put pressure on the organization to get a coach who knew the league and had success in the league.

More and more I'm convinced that MLSE does what it's pressured to do and it doesn't matter who's in the middle-management positions.

TFC Cityboy
11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
great move if this is kosher.

akoto
11-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Anyone else find it weird that the front page of torontofc.ca has a news item saying reports are saying that Preki will be hired? I've never seen them post speculation like that before. Usually they wait until after an announcement before posting on the site. Why would TFC put a rumour on their webpage?

SteeltownBhoy
11-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Have you guys seen the TFC front page, while they won't confirm the rumour they give the man's bio, acomplishments and a friggin photo!!!!

Just need a press conference when Judas gets back from Scotland.

Super
11-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Anyone else find it weird that the front page of torontofc.ca has a news item saying reports are saying that Preki will be hired? I've never seen them post speculation like that before. Usually they wait until after an announcement before posting on the site. Why would TFC put a rumour on their webpage?

LOL yeah, it's really strange.

It says that Preki may join TFC - but no official word from the club.

Well, excuse me, but isn't Torontofc.ca THE official site of the club? :facepalm:

TFC Cityboy
11-14-2009, 05:44 PM
funny...the LAST place I go for TFC news is the official s(h)ite.
This is my one-stop-shop

CretanBull
11-14-2009, 05:51 PM

Being better suited to a particular league doesn't mean he has a better pedigree. Pedigree refers to a coach's training, grooming, experience etc. In that regard Carver is miles ahead of Preki, but Preki might be better suited for this job despite his lack of pedigree.

TFC HSV
11-14-2009, 06:01 PM
hope it comes to fruition, this would be good for the team

Redpunkfiddle
11-14-2009, 06:08 PM
funny...the LAST place I go for TFC news is the official s(h)ite.
This is my one-stop-shop

Its an MLSE conspiracy to undermine the supporters and specifically the RBP board in its role as the one stop shop for rumours and breaking news.

Cashcleaner
11-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Preki would never have been my first choice, but I'm gonna try to stay positive with this regardless.

Look, the million dollar question is simple. Will Mo and Preki's prior relationship help or hinder the club? If Preki is given the measure of control over the squad that he wants, I don't think we'll have a problem. If Mo continues to meddle and stick his nose where it doesn't belong, we'll be right back to square one.

felipe
11-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm disapointed...as the roster sits now, the team will be in complete chaos 1/4 thru the season. Peki's 'style' won't cut it with the egos we got.

Unless we get big roster changes...disaster waiting to happen...

wzhxvy
11-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I refuse to get excited by this because it does not solve the MO problem. Unless MO has a labotomy or is born again, he will not be able to help himself from being himself.

I also worry that Preki will be used as an excuse to get rid of players that are "anti-MO", and MO using Preki as the excuse. I am highly concerned about that aspect.

ag futbol
11-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, given the circumstances I think Preki is a decent choice but it's absurd to claim that he's got some sort of pedigree that Carver didn't have....
That's practically insane.

John Carver never had no meaningful head coaching experience before showing up here. Sir Bobby Robson can't save John Carver from modern football and being tactically inept.

Darlofletch
11-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Being better suited to a particular league doesn't mean he has a better pedigree. Pedigree refers to a coach's training, grooming, experience etc. In that regard Carver is miles ahead of Preki, but Preki might be better suited for this job despite his lack of pedigree.

Then why hasn't Carver been given a job at any of the places he's applied to in England. he was rumoured to have applied at Lincoln, didn't get it, was rumoured to have applied for Peterborough, they just gave the job the job to Kettering's manager.

Assistant coach (even under someone really good) and head coach are two different things. Carver doesn't have any head coach pedigree, and i doubt his stop here really helped him much in that regard.

Darlofletch
11-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't know much about Preki (though i remember him playing in england, maybe he picked up some pedigree while he was there) as I don't pay massive attention to MLS outside of Toronto, but his record seems good and from what people are saying here about him being a bit of a hard-ass, could be just what we need.

If the egos we've got don't like his style, then hopefully they'll get traded away, no matter who they are.

Up The TFC
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Would someone care to give us the nutshell on the Guevara/Preki drama? I really don't know the story...

I hope it's long dead though; I was seriously looking forward to seeing what Amado was like playing on a proper surface every week...not with the ball bouncing up around his head all game.

wzhxvy
11-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't know much about Preki (though i remember him playing in england, maybe he picked up some pedigree while he was there) as I don't pay massive attention to MLS outside of Toronto, but his record seems good and from what people are saying here about him being a bit of a hard-ass, could be just what we need.

If the egos we've got don't like his style, then hopefully they'll get traded away, no matter who they are.

All well and good but if JDG or Dero or Cronin end up leaving then thats all BS. The coaches job is to bring the best from the team and if these players who have been successful elsewhere leave...its for one FING reason only..payback from MO. I hope people dont fall too much for this "hard ass" propaganda...

ArmenJBX
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
We're already shitting on the guy and he hasn't even been confirmed as the head coach...

Redpunkfiddle
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Would someone care to give us the nutshell on the Guevara/Preki drama? I really don't know the story...

I hope it's long dead though; I was seriously looking forward to seeing what Amado was like playing on a proper surface every week...not with the ball bouncing up around his head all game.

Check this story:

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=427473&root=mls&cc=5901

twistedchinaman
11-14-2009, 06:51 PM
One day spent with Sir Bobby Robson is worth more than 3 years of MLS experience.....

With all due respect to Sir Bobby, that is a load of horse crap. Each part of the world is different, you can't plunk a European coach into North America and expect them to succeed. See: Sven-Goran Eriksson and Mexico. Full stop.

Experience is the greatest teacher; no mortal can teach it -- it comes with time and patience and learning, and Preki has been here as a player and a coach. He is a good start, and as long as he can pilot the good ship Toronto Reds onto the sea lanes towards glory, I be a happy chappy.

Cashcleaner
11-14-2009, 06:59 PM
We're already shitting on the guy and he hasn't even been confirmed as the head coach...

We are? You must be reading a different thread. The posts here are pretty mixed about all this.

Phil
11-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Preki would never have been my first choice, but I'm gonna try to stay positive with this regardless.

Look, the million dollar question is simple. Will Mo and Preki's prior relationship help or hinder the club? If Preki is given the measure of control over the squad that he wants, I don't think we'll have a problem. If Mo continues to meddle and stick his nose where it doesn't belong, we'll be right back to square one.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Oldtimer
11-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Several have expressed concern that Preki is a friend of Mo. Don't worry, Preki will speak his mind, he's no flunky,

A true friend will tell you the truth, even if it hurts. Mo needs that more truth-telling than anyone at TFC FO right now.

Preki is the right kind of coach for TFC. Sad to see Guevara go, but he may have been going anyway. Preki is very outspoken and I'm sure he didn't endear himself to Chivas' management (which is why Chivas didn't renew his contract), so he can stand up to Mo and won't stand for crap from the players. While some don't thrive under that kind of coach, I think most players at TFC will. In fact, TFC has badly needed a coach like him since day 1.

This is Mo's last chance, and he knows it, that's why he was willing to get Preki instead of some easy going friend from Scotland. If this fails and TFC doesn't make the playoffs, Mo will be out on his rear end and he knows it.

billyfly
11-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I wonder if the guys in the room that may have issues with Mo look suspiciously on this hire since they have a prior relationship.

TFCtoMUFC
11-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I wonder if the guys in the room that may have issues with Mo look suspiciously on this hire since they have a prior relationship.

But as Preki is a no-nonsense guy maybe he won't take it from Mo. I think Nicol would've come here but Mo knows he wouldn't be a puppet.

London
11-14-2009, 07:05 PM
i keep coming back to the fact the his name is "preki"

does he have a full name??

Oldtimer
11-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Any team that Preki runs is Preki's team. He won't run things any other way.

London
nevermind

Predrag "Preki" Radosavljević

billyfly
i keep coming back to the fact the his name is "preki"

does he have a full name??

I like Preki.

sulfur
11-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Much easier than Predrag Radosavljević. :)

SoccMan
11-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Good choice, we needed someone with MLS experience and Preki has done well with Chivas even though they did not make a final with him as coach. Mo needs to let Preki coach and stay out of his face and we might be okay. We have our first non Brit coaching TFC and a Serb who would of imagined!

akoto
11-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I pretty much agree with the majority of you. Preki is a great coach who needs to be given full control of his squad. I really hope this is true and that his style of coaching will work the guys we have currently in the locker room.

sidvan
11-14-2009, 08:30 PM
From TorontoFC.ca http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091114&content_id=7667364&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Reports Suggest Preki May Join TFC

Former Chivas USA coach being linked to Reds

Stryker
11-14-2009, 09:23 PM
The fact that this "rumour" has appeared on MLS site tells me its a done deal.

ArmenJBX
11-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Welcome to Toronto FC Preki. Best of luck! Playoffs 2010 baby! :D

billyfly
11-14-2009, 09:26 PM
It's done.

Stryker
11-14-2009, 09:33 PM
If Preki is indeed a posession style coach as some of you have mentioned:

1) Thats fuckin awesome
2) Not a chance in hell he'll pick up "big boot" Brennen for next year
3) Turnover machine Robinson will also likely be shown the door

billyfly
11-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Point #2 is dead-on. Sorry Jimmy.

sulfur
11-14-2009, 09:43 PM
So... "It's done"? What's the source on that one?

TFCtoMUFC
11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
If Preki is indeed a posession style coach as some of you have mentioned:

1) Thats fuckin awesome
2) Not a chance in hell he'll pick up "big boot" Brennen for next year
3) Turnover machine Robinson will also likely be shown the door

If he does both those, thats fine by me. Hopefully *fingers crossed*, Kljestan hates the new coach and Preki gets Mo to trade Wynne,Robbo, Guevara or something like Mo's usual fleecing for him.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Seems a little stupid to argue that Carver has a better pedigree than Preki (all things considered, they're about even). Carver for all his pedigree was a failure with TFC.

Nuvinho
11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Goff:

SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider)

Negotiations between Preki and Toronto are in the very early stages and still several days from a possible deal, the Insider has learned.

Roogsy
11-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Ah? Been away all day today and come online tonight to find we may have a coach before February??? FANTASTIC!

I like Preki as a choice. If it's true...I hope they give him a solid contract and don't ship him out after a year. 4 coaches in 4 years is enough, this team needs some continuity and I think Preki is the guy to do it.

Hitcho
11-14-2009, 10:40 PM
With all due respect to Sir Bobby, that is a load of horse crap. Each part of the world is different, you can't plunk a European coach into North America and expect them to succeed. See: Sven-Goran Eriksson and Mexico. Full stop.

Experience is the greatest teacher; no mortal can teach it -- it comes with time and patience and learning, and Preki has been here as a player and a coach. He is a good start, and as long as he can pilot the good ship Toronto Reds onto the sea lanes towards glory, I be a happy chappy.

Sven is a pile of crap, that's the reason he failed in Mexico and the reason he has failed everywhere since he bought success at Lazio. The fact people still pay him vast sums of money is madness, but people think if he charges that much he must be good. It's the best con in world history.

As for Preki, I don't know eneough about him, CHivas or MLS in general to make sweeping comments on him, but I hope to God he can sort out the dressing room crap, get the squad playing at the level they should be and give Mo an enormous kick in the bollocks if he ever tries to shunt in on team affairs. I'll stand and support Preki to the hilt if he gets appointed because he deserves that as the new head coach. We go onward from there.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

CretanBull
11-15-2009, 02:35 AM
Then why hasn't Carver been given a job at any of the places he's applied to in England. he was rumoured to have applied at Lincoln, didn't get it, was rumoured to have applied for Peterborough, they just gave the job the job to Kettering's manager.

Assistant coach (even under someone really good) and head coach are two different things. Carver doesn't have any head coach pedigree, and i doubt his stop here really helped him much in that regard.

Whether Carver has been hired at not at other clubs is irrelevant to a discussion about his pedigree vs. Preki's.

I'm only taking issue with the suggestion that Preki is of better pedigree than Carver. I'm not raving about Carver or shitting on Preki, but without question Carver's pedigree is obviously greater. He was an assistant manager (not assistant coach) at one of the biggest clubs in the world and worked along side an undisputed ledgend. He's worked with - and been credited by - players like Alan Shearer for his role in developing them as a players. In terms of pedigree that experience vastly out weighs Preki's 3 years of MLS head coaching experience even if Preki's experience makes him better suited for this job. I don't think that I'm saying anything that's even remotely debateable, I think people are just caught up in the semantics of it.

CretanBull
11-15-2009, 02:40 AM

My issue is with the suggestion that Preki is of greater pedigree than than Carver when clearly he isn't. The issue of predigree is irrelevant to the issue of who would make a better coach in this league. In a professional sense, without question Carver's training, grooming, experiences far out weigh Preki's...that's just an objective fact, but one that says nothing about either's ability to coach in this league or any other league.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-15-2009, 02:46 AM
^ When discussing a coach's pedigree wouldn't one factor his level of success into the equation? Also, would you factor the level and quality of their playing career?

Pookie
11-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Good players aren't necessarily good coaches. Across any sport, I think Wayne Gretzky would be the ultimate example of how playing skills don't necessarily transfer.

A far as level of success, do you mean record in the regular season or playoffs? Which do you weight more? Preki has good regular season but I don't think ever made it through the first round.

Even if you come up with a total, he's only been doing it for 3 years as a head coach in any league. That would have to be factored in to.

I'm happy with the move but realistic too. Preki is a change of scenery not necessarily a golden ticket. We'll see.

ensco
11-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Carver was an epic due diligence failure. Not a failure in pedigree.

On paper, Carver looked like a guy with decent experience. Comparing him to Preki is apples and oranges, but assisting at Newcastle is clearly a real job.

But the key word is "on paper".

I think Mo didn't do sufficient due diligence on Carver. Almost from the get go, it was obvious that Carver was temperamentally unsuited to being the lead dog in the sled dog team. I also think Mo didn't understand how conservative Carver would turn out to be tactically. Again, a diligence failure.

In this respect Preki's "pedigree" is light years ahead of Carver's. Mo has a better idea of who the coach is, how that coach selects players, what style that coach plays, and, importantly, Preki has already proven he can handle the pressure.

If Mo lands Preki, I'll be impressed. I'll also owe $10 to a couple of people that I had bet that Mo wouldn't get a decent candidate and as a result would be forced out!

ps I really hope Carver catches on somewhere. Obviously a decent guy. But I think better for him and his team if he's not the manager, unless it's a smaller side with little following or scrutiny.

denime
11-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I think this is a great news ,if it's true.

Since mlsintoronto is reading this thread right now,maybe we can get some more info on this,eh? ;)

Preki himself was hardworking player,and he expect from his players to be the same.
I can tell you now if he is TFC new coach all players with bad working habits can start packing their bags.

It would be interesting to see faces of players and other staff when Preki and Daso start talking Serbo/Craotian so no one can understand what they planing to do next :)

BoltonTFC
11-15-2009, 09:27 AM
My issue is with the suggestion that Preki is of greater pedigree than than Carver when clearly he isn't. [/I]

Preki's pedigree as it concerns the Toronto FC job and MLS is obviously much greater than Carver, and that is the issue here. Who gives a damn about being an assistant at Newcastle?

CretanBull
11-15-2009, 09:33 AM
^ When discussing a coach's pedigree wouldn't one factor his level of success into the equation? Also, would you factor the level and quality of their playing career?

Having had success in this league makes him a good candidate for this job, but it doesn't speak to his pedigree. Pedigree refers to a coach's level of training, how and who they studied under, the level and quality of the game that they were exposed to etc. When you look at where Carver came from, what he went through, the experiences that he gained, the people he worked with, they players he managed etc. all of that far out weighs Preki's 3 years as an MLS coach in terms of pedigree. None of that guarantees in terms of success as a coach. For the job that needs to be done here it would be perfectly reasonable to suggest that 3 years of MLS coaching experience (with a fair level of success) makes Preki better suited for the job at hand, but in terms of predigree he's still behind John Carver (who turned out not to be a successfull MLS coach).

Pookie
11-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Preki himself was hardworking player,and he expect from his players to be the same.
I can tell you now if he is TFC new coach all players with bad working habits can start packing their bags.

... assuming of course that Mo agrees with the decision to release/move them.

It's a step in a positive direction but until you change the role from coach to true "manager", I'm not sure how big of a step it is.

ensco
11-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Having had success in this league makes him a good candidate for this job, but it doesn't speak to his pedigree. Pedigree refers to a coach's level of training, how and who they studied under, the level and quality of the game that they were exposed to etc. When you look at where Carver came from, what he went through, the experiences that he gained, the people he worked with, they players he managed etc. all of that far out weighs Preki's 3 years as an MLS coach in terms of pedigree. None of that guarantees in terms of success as a coach. For the job that needs to be done here it would be perfectly reasonable to suggest that 3 years of MLS coaching experience (with a fair level of success) makes Preki better suited for the job at hand, but in terms of predigree he's still behind John Carver (who turned out not to be a successfull MLS coach).

Pedigree for what?

If both are applying for an EPL assistant job, Carver has a far greater pedigree. If both are applying for an MLS head coaching job....

If you're just talking pedigree in terms of impressing football supporters or cocktail party conversation, I think I'd agree with you. But so what?

Nuvinho
11-15-2009, 09:57 AM
IF Preki is the new coach, I am sure he will want to bring in a few of his own players.

CretanBull
11-15-2009, 10:11 AM
It's rediculous that a minor point has turned into such a debate. The original poster dismissed Carver's pedigree when in fact he had one of the most complete and impressive resumes of anyone to have ever considered a MLS coaching job...a resume that anyone can see ran far deeper than Preki's. That's not a subjective opinion its an absolute fact. In the end Carver's pedigree amounted to shit because he didn't pan out as a successfull MLS coach. Preki despite his lack of pedigree in comparison to Carver could very well be a FAR better coach as his experience in this league is an obvious asset. The fact that Preki is probably better suited for this job because his experience comes from this league doesn't add depth to his resume - which is what the word predigree refers to.

Perhaps the original poster misused the word pedigree and only meant to point to Preki's experience in the league (vs. Carver's lack of) but that's not what pedigree refers to and I contested the point on face value.

CretanBull
11-15-2009, 10:15 AM
IF Preki is the new coach, I am sure he will want to bring in a few of his own players.

He'll have to, our team is tragically unbalanced...regardless of who the coach is changes will have to be made. In a way, a change of coach gives Mo a chance to fix the mistakes he made in putting the team together...he can fix his mistakes under the guise of the desires of the new coach.

denime
11-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Quite honesty I don't give a f*uk about Carver and his pedigree.Carver is past so please stop debating about Carver vs Preki,who cares?

You want to debate Preki vs Nicol hell yes that would make some interesting debate since both of them might be a future TFC coaches,Carver at the other hand ....

London
11-15-2009, 10:23 AM
it is funny that the TFC website says "possible coaching candadite"

Why would they put it on the site??

Shakes McQueen
11-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm ecstatic with this signing. As far as MLS experienced coaches go, Preki was definitely the best one available right now. I'm also confident that his reputation of being a disciplinarian, and not taking shit, will be good for this club.

Hopefully it means he will be an assertive coach, who tells Mo what he needs, and provides that layer of separation between the GM and the players (who apparently don't trust him, if these rumours are to be believed).

If all of the above happens, this could be a fruitful partnership between Preki and Mo. Mo is still on my shit list at the present time, but we will wait and see what Preki can do with this club - and more importantly, what roster changes he makes.

- Scott

CretanBull
11-15-2009, 10:42 AM
(I'll happily never mention Carver again, it was a retarded point from the get-go, I should have just ignored it).

I don't think Nicol would take the job unless he gained the full power of manager and not just coach...I just can't see him subjecting something as critical as player movement (for example) to someone else's discretion. Maybe he'd like a change of pace and would rather just focus on coaching, but part of his success as a coach stems from the players that he's been able to bring (or ship out). Preki's expertise seems to be more about the players and tactics of the league and may feel liberated by not having to deal with the managerial side of things.

^ all speculation on my part :D

ensco
11-15-2009, 11:27 AM
A bit of color on Preki's style...

He obviously comes from the Fergie school, focuses on tactics, always unhappy....

http://www.insidesocal.com/soccer/2009/11/preki-addresses-departure-from.html

He got upset at Kovalenko (no surprise there, remember Kovalenko's a dick, the guy that broke Ronnie O'Brien's leg) at the end of the last LA game

http://www.insidesocal.com/soccer/2009/11/final-chivas-usa-at-galaxy.html

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2009, 11:41 AM
not for nothing but Chivas fans on BS (which is crap, i know) seem happy to see him go... food for thought

ensco
11-15-2009, 11:46 AM
not for nothing but Chivas fans on BS (which is crap, i know) seem happy to see him go... food for thought

I saw that. The team went out in the first round in two straight playoffs, they were heavily favoured last year, people haven't gotten over that.

Also Preki has a rap as a martinet. He sits star players all the time. Galindo didn't start against LA.

That team probably has to have a Mexican coach, given it's market positioning.

Nuvinho
11-15-2009, 12:02 PM
^ He sat Sasha too earlier in the season.

Shway
11-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Sasha was struggglinn for several games.
The sameway Chad SHOULDVE been sat

Shakes McQueen
11-15-2009, 02:43 PM

I take that with a huge grain of salt. I'm sure a lot of them are a) intensely disappointed at the first round exist still, and b) trying to validate why it's okay that their coach is gone.

I'm a Leafs fan, and when they signed Phil Kessel, I spent most of the month of September reading stuff on forums from Bruins fans telling everyone how happy they were that he was gone. This was their top scorer, and now this season they are having trouble finding goals.

Fans tend to do that.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
11-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Sasha was struggglinn for several games.
The sameway Chad SHOULDVE been sat

Yeah, it was pretty funny reading that a couple of people thought Preki's history playing with Garcia might cause him to continue to play that bum.

If anything, it'll be the exact opposite (and that assumes Garcia is still here). Garcia causes a couple of howlers to find the back of the net, and I doubt he will even see the bench for the rest of the season, let alone the pitch. Preki is just like that.

- Scott

rocker
11-15-2009, 02:51 PM
check Revolution fans' comments on Steve Nicol... a good portion of fans there want him gone cuz he hasn't won them an MLS Cup...

i think it's all about perspective.

Pookie
11-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Face it, coaches generally do not spend a long time with any one club.

What you are looking for is the right mix for the guys you have right now. That's it.

Preki's act may wear thin over time. He may or may not have longevity. The only thing that really matters though is whether he clicks with the guys over the short term.

Dirk Diggler
11-15-2009, 03:07 PM
It's rediculous that a minor point has turned into such a debate. The original poster dismissed Carver's pedigree when in fact he had one of the most complete and impressive resumes of anyone to have ever considered a MLS coaching job...a resume that anyone can see ran far deeper than Preki's. That's not a subjective opinion its an absolute fact. In the end Carver's pedigree amounted to shit because he didn't pan out as a successfull MLS coach. Preki despite his lack of pedigree in comparison to Carver could very well be a FAR better coach as his experience in this league is an obvious asset. The fact that Preki is probably better suited for this job because his experience comes from this league doesn't add depth to his resume - which is what the word predigree refers to.

Perhaps the original poster misused the word pedigree and only meant to point to Preki's experience in the league (vs. Carver's lack of) but that's not what pedigree refers to and I contested the point on face value.

:picard:

I'm sorry if you find my point "retarded" but if you get over the obsession with the word "pedigree" you'd get the point I intended to make. If you were a player on TFC and your coach made it a habit to to rip you a new one after every disappointing match and threw you under the bus in front of the media, who would you take more seriously ... Preki or Carver? In terms of playing career, I don't even think it is a comparison. Someone brought up Wayne Gretzky and how he has been a poor coach thus far but if he yelled at you after the game, would not take him seriously based on his playing career alone? Obviously Preki is not the Wayne Gretzky of football but the point remains none the less.

The same thing applies in terms of their coaching career ... Preki has had a relatively short coaching career but guess what? He has yet to miss the playoffs as the gaffer of a relatively unspectacular team. I'm sorry but Carver does not compare. There are at least 20 assistant managers in the Premier League each year ... are they all instantly good because of this fact? And I'm sorry if I don't care much for his caretaking gigs at Newcastle and Leeds. We gave Cummins a caretaking gig last season too ... does that mean lower leagues like the USL-1 should be clamouring to get his signature as their next manager?

Shakes McQueen
11-15-2009, 03:12 PM
check Revolution fans' comments on Steve Nicol... a good portion of fans there want him gone cuz he hasn't won them an MLS Cup...

i think it's all about perspective.

Exactly. At this point, if Preki can turn TFC into a solid playoff team, I will be happy. Worry about winning the cup after we've cleared that hurdle.

- Scott

Dirk Diggler
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Exactly. At this point, if Preki can turn TFC into a solid playoff team, I will be happy. Worry about winning the cup after we've cleared that hurdle.

- Scott

It is sad but that is the truth. I'm not even thinking about the cup right now. Can't understand why people are even mentioning it at the moment. Reminds me of the Raptors hiring Bryan Colangelo as their GM. Some people started complaining as to how he has never won the NBA Championship :rolleyes:

CretanBull
11-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm sorry if you find my point "retarded"

I was refering to myself, not you. I should have realized what you meant and not taken what you said literally. Now please let it drop.

Beach_Red
11-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm ecstatic with this signing. As far as MLS experienced coaches go, Preki was definitely the best one available right now. I'm also confident that his reputation of being a disciplinarian, and not taking shit, will be good for this club.

Hopefully it means he will be an assertive coach, who tells Mo what he needs, and provides that layer of separation between the GM and the players (who apparently don't trust him, if these rumours are to be believed).

If all of the above happens, this could be a fruitful partnership between Preki and Mo. Mo is still on my shit list at the present time, but we will wait and see what Preki can do with this club - and more importantly, what roster changes he makes.

- Scott

Then they should get better agents.

I realize this is pretty much a minor league, but like Super who has called it Mickey Mouse on many occassions I think the league is improving. These kinds of "rumours" make it seem so unprofessional, such amateur-hour kind of stuff, and as if it isn't improving at all.

Gixmo
11-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Quality signing, if infact legitimate

that being said, wait until he's signed before you start to shit on him? Geez.. Some of you guys are weak-sauce

swan
11-15-2009, 09:00 PM

thats what i thought....

jloome
11-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, the fact that he's gotten points out of two-thirds of his team's games says something. That's a pretty impressive record, and he's gotten guys like Nagamura and "Sueno" to perform in roles. Klejstan's declined badly this year, but the suggestion is he's pretty offput by his inability to get a European move.

Cashcleaner
11-15-2009, 11:44 PM
^ Hmmmm, that's a fact I hadn't really considered. If we do have the sort of talent on the squad that many think we do, Preki is a pretty good choice to bring out those skills and make them work together.

Very interesting, jloome.

Oldtimer
11-15-2009, 11:54 PM
What was TFC's problem this last year? Inconsistency. Players playing well one match and fading out the next. Preki will cure that. Any player that doesn't perform every match will find his rear end nailed to the bench. Preki's like that, and TFC needs that.
Remember Cummins complaining that his players didn't listen to him? Preki will cure that too. Any player not listening will be cut, it doesn't matter if it's JDG. Preki's like that.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2009, 11:55 PM
^ Hmmmm, that's a fact I hadn't really considered. If we do have the sort of talent on the squad that many think we do, Preki is a pretty good choice to bring out those skills and make them work together.

Very interesting, jloome.

absolutely agree, Chivas doesnt really have any monster players and the results hes gotten from them have been better than decent, makes ya hopeful as to what he would do with this squad (with some decent additions)

Shakes McQueen
11-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Then they should get better agents.

I realize this is pretty much a minor league, but like Super who has called it Mickey Mouse on many occassions I think the league is improving. These kinds of "rumours" make it seem so unprofessional, such amateur-hour kind of stuff, and as if it isn't improving at all.

I don't think rumours of locker room "dissent" are really a bush-league thing. There were lots of reports of infighting at Chelsea last season prior to Scolari being sacked. And you constantly hear of coaches in the NFL and NHL being fired for "losing the room", which is a nice way of saying the players turned on the coach.

- Scott

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-16-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't care who they hire, or what style they favour, so long as it's someone who can take this team to the playoffs. I just want us to win. If Preki can do that, then I'm right behind him.

Pookie
11-16-2009, 08:12 AM
What was TFC's problem this last year? Inconsistency. Players playing well one match and fading out the next. Preki will cure that. Any player that doesn't perform every match will find his rear end nailed to the bench. Preki's like that, and TFC needs that.
Remember Cummins complaining that his players didn't listen to him? Preki will cure that too. Any player not listening will be cut, it doesn't matter if it's JDG. Preki's like that.

... one BIG assumption in all of this... that Mo will back Preki up if he chooses to end a player.

He will report to Mo. It was also said earlier that Preki will have to take on the existing coaching staff. If true, that leaves him as a relative island in the politics world. He doesn't have "his guys" with him and knows very few (if any) within the management/boardroom.

The fact that Mo essentially built the Island for Preki gives one the uneasy feeling that Preki may not have the freedom to do as you suggest. Mo is going to need to stamp everything.

Again, I think this is a positive step but I think there is more to be done than just changing the name on the coaching room door.

Oldtimer
11-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Again, I think this is a positive step but I think there is more to be done than just changing the name on the coaching room door.

Agreed. A change on the GM's door could do wonders.

ManUtd4ever
11-16-2009, 09:18 AM
If this speculation is valid then the hiring of Preki is definitely a step in the right direction, although I would like to see El Lobo remain in TFC colors...

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 09:25 AM
^ Agreed, but the bottom line is we have too many good (and expensive) central players from DCM to ACM. No way can we sensibly support all of JDG, Robbo, Cronin, Guevara and De Rosario. Not forgetting that Vitti and Serioux have their best positions in that band from DCM to ACM as well. Something has to give. I don't know if Amado going is the best solution, but someone will be going, that's for sure.

Oldtimer
11-16-2009, 09:33 AM
No formal discussions have yet been held between Toronto FC and its candidates. Those talks will take place in Seattle. TFC has missed the playoffs three straight years and has no more wiggle room; Preki failed to get past the first round with Chivas USA but can argue, rightly, team management in Guadalajara nixed player moves and dictated he use players from Mexico. One source said a deal with former U.S. international Martin Vazquez may be already done and no other candidates have been linked to the position, while Preki's future could be in Toronto. Toronto FC Manager and Director of Soccer Mo Johnston and Preki are both headstrong, yet both are driven to win. Their relationship might be somewhat stormy, but they not only played together at Kansas City, they go back a decade further to the days they played at Everton, and both have good contacts within MLS as well as in Europe.

Preki might also draw interest from other clubs, and the U.S. national team; Bob Bradley hired Preki as his assistant for Chivas USA, but Bradley might instead choose a former player, say Jesse Marsch or Chris Armas, if he decides to add to his staff for the World Cup runup.

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=35233

tlear
11-16-2009, 09:34 AM
You captain a team to qualify for World Cup and then your club lets you go.. thats just not right. I hope Preki can settle whatever differences he has with Guevara but honestly I do not think that is happening.

Oldtimer
11-16-2009, 09:40 AM
You captain a team to qualify for World Cup and then your club lets you go.. thats just not right. I hope Preki can settle whatever differences he has with Guevara but honestly I do not think that is happening.

Yet in all fairness Guevara was "absent" in performance for a lot of club games last year. That is what Preki objects to. He wants players that will give 100% each match.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Agreed. A change on the GM's door could do wonders.

oh yeah, few people will debate this

ManUtd4ever
11-16-2009, 09:49 AM
^ Agreed, but the bottom line is we have too many good (and expensive) central players from DCM to ACM. No way can we sensibly support all of JDG, Robbo, Cronin, Guevara and De Rosario. Not forgetting that Vitti and Serioux have their best positions in that band from DCM to ACM as well. Something has to give. I don't know if Amado going is the best solution, but someone will be going, that's for sure.

Good point, but it was also apparent last season that Guevara was the most effective midfielder on the roster in terms of ball control and distribution. In light of recent speculation that the MLS will finally respect the FIFA schedule next season, Guevara's loss would be significant...

jloome
11-16-2009, 12:51 PM
It's appearing based on the other reporting that this is a premature announcement by the club just to show fans they're taking this seriously.

If they haven't even talked to the man yet, it's pure spec. His relationship with Bob Bradley would make the U.S. Nats more likely right now, one would think.

Guess it'll depend how much he trusts Mo.

Oldtimer
11-16-2009, 01:04 PM

He knows Mo well. If it really depends on that, he's not coming.

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Good point, but it was also apparent last season that Guevara was the most effective midfielder on the roster in terms of ball control and distribution. In light of recent speculation that the MLS will finally respect the FIFA schedule next season, Guevara's loss would be significant...

Oh yeah, I am not saying Amado should be the one to go, I think he was our most effective midfield player last season, up there with De Ro. But they cannot all survive. Who stays will depend on the new coach and what system he wants to play. But we need the coach first.

TFCRegina
11-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, I am not saying Amado should be the one to go, I think he was our most effective midfield player last season, up there with De Ro. But they cannot all survive. Who stays will depend on the new coach and what system he wants to play. But we need the coach first.

I maintain we should be running an 0-10-0. We have nearly enough midfielders.

ensco
11-16-2009, 02:55 PM

We did that in the second half of the Chicago game. I'm not kidding

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 02:57 PM

^ well it's a good thing you're not the new coach then! :D:D:D

[the humour in your post wasn't lost on me by the way, and sad to say we could almost do it: Serioux, Robbo, Cronin, JDG, Sanyang, Guevara, De Rosario, Vitti - that's EIGHT CM players. Now let's count the wide midfield players: Brennan, Fellinga (arguably - is he a LB?), er.... what's wrong with this picture?!]

MUFC_Niagara
11-16-2009, 03:12 PM
It's appearing based on the other reporting that this is a premature announcement by the club just to show fans they're taking this seriously.

If they haven't even talked to the man yet, it's pure spec. His relationship with Bob Bradley would make the U.S. Nats more likely right now, one would think.

The Toronto Sun and Garth Wanker are saying that they have spoken to Preki and that they can't wait on Nichol any longer, which is why they have approached Preki. Wanker also suggest that Mo's meddling might come to and end with a coach that knows and understands MLS. Maybe Mo felt like he needed to be involved more when Carver and Cummins were here because they never really understood the North American game.

Shakes McQueen
11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
The Toronto Sun and Garth Wanker are saying that they have spoken to Preki and that they can't wait on Nichol any longer, which is why they have approached Preki. Wanker also suggest that Mo's meddling might come to and end with a coach that knows and understands MLS. Maybe Mo felt like he needed to be involved more when Carver and Cummins were here because they never really understood the North American game.

That's somewhat understandable in the case of Cummins, but Carver? If he didn't trust Carver to put things together properly, then he had no business hiring the guy in the first place.

- Scott

MUFC_Niagara
11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
That's somewhat understandable in the case of Cummins, but Carver? If he didn't trust Carver to put things together properly, then he had no business hiring the guy in the first place.

- Scott

You make a good point, Scott. Who knows, Wanker was speculating but it is also an interesting point. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that even if we hire Preki, it still leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

ArmenJBX
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Cmon Preki! Choose Toronto! :P

Please please please please! :D

Hitcho
11-16-2009, 03:47 PM

- Scott

Yes and no. Anyone hired from outside MLS will neeed some hand holding to get their head into the craziness that is this league and its weird rules and regulations. That's not to say that anyone outside of MLS cannot do a good job though. The question is, did Mo cross the line from guidance to interference? But yeah, as a bottom line if Mo didn't trust him to do the job then he shouldn't have hired him. although if Carver was only third choice, where do you draw the line? Mo had to hire SOMEONE.

Interesting that the media think Mo may have to step back if he gets an MLS savvy person in place. That would certainly help things. Won't fix the broken promises or poisonous mistrust, however.

Also glad to see Nicol's name resurfacing. I had hoped from the start that Preki was a smoke screen to bring in Nicol. Hopefully this will flush him out and we'll have Nicol in place by Xmas. No disrespect to Preki, but Nicol would get my vote because he has a better playing pedigree, more MLS coaching experience, a more successful track record and is more likely to command the respect of the locker room as a result.

Redcoe15
11-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Please let this be true. That would make a huge difference. Perhaps Barrett can stay on the bench.

Yozzarian
11-16-2009, 05:21 PM
^ well it's a good thing you're not the new coach then! :D:D:D

[the humour in your post wasn't lost on me by the way, and sad to say we could almost do it: Serioux, Robbo, Cronin, JDG, Sanyang, Guevara, De Rosario, Vitti - that's EIGHT CM players. Now let's count the wide midfield players: Brennan, Fellinga (arguably - is he a LB?), er.... what's wrong with this picture?!]

We still don't have anyone who can cross the ball from wide right?

Pookie
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
^ no but we have plenty of guys that can kick it right at the opponents' shins.... we need a coach that can build a set piece off of that.

MUFC_Niagara
11-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Pat, I know on United's website they also have stories from the papers and possible players they are being linked with.

colman1860
11-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Fan590 just mentioned the announcement is tomorrow.

Lucky Strike
11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Fan590 just mentioned the announcement is tomorrow.

Of his hiring? Or to denounce the rumour?

colman1860
11-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Of his hiring? Or to denounce the rumour?

They said it was going to be an announcement of his signing.

drewski
11-18-2009, 01:37 PM
They said it was going to be an announcement of his signing.

+1

on twitter

KristianJack (http://twitter.com/KristianJack)
#Toronto (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Toronto) FC to introduce Preki as new coach tomorrow at 11am.

canadian_bhoy
11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Seems quite quick to make the decision. I was hoping that TFC would have gone harder after Nicol but look like that isn't the case. Maybe they have been doing work on this since Carver left and if so, hopefully they got their #1 guy....but this seems borderline knee jerk reaction to me.

Jay P
11-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Seems quite quick to make the decision. I was hoping that TFC would have gone harder after Nicol but look like that isn't the case. Maybe they have been doing work on this since Carver left and if so, hopefully they got their #1 guy....but this seems borderline knee jerk reaction to me.

nicol still has 2 years on his NE contract, no way nicol would land here now... that being said it would be interesting to see how long preki's contract is for....

Whoop
11-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I think Nicol's contract status is probably a big roadblock.

But yeah, Preki's contract terms will be interesting.

canadian_bhoy
11-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Also interesting to note that Preki played with Mo at Everton and KC Wiz. Seems like more backscratching.

Shaughno
11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I know people were hoping for Nicol, but realistically... did anyone actually expect him to come to Toronto?

shaggingscot
11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I know people were hoping for Nicol, but realistically... did anyone actually expect him to come to Toronto?

He'll come here if Moe gets sacked

Otherwise, no. No way he'd answer to Moe.

Blizzard
11-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Absolutely. They're very close. If Nicol didn't have two years remaining on his current contract, he would have been here.

tfcmanu
11-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Toronto FC is set to announce the hiring of a new coach on Thursday....I guess this is a done deal.:flare:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/727527--new-toronto-fc-coach-comes-with-experience

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/24/8a/8561096e46e499e9b6f46cf764f1.jpeg
Predrag "Preki" Radosavljevic led Chivas USA to the playoffs in all three seasons as head coach

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 02:36 PM

well to me the thought of a UK style coach is a crock of horseshit anyway considering there are almost half a dozen countries that fall into that category, but since we've had 2 english and 1 scot coaching the reds; allow me try to describe a "UK" coach. they are the dump and chase coaches which exercise no tactical thought; just athleticism, speed and as per mendieta - a mars bar with tonns of beer a flowing in the dressing room post game :drinking:

it may be a symptom of why the english NT doesn't have an english coach or why some of their top domestic clubs are coached by foreigners but i digress.

:scarf::flare::drum: PREKI!!! :drum: :flare::scarf:

shaggingscot
11-18-2009, 02:38 PM
well to me the thought of a UK style coach is a crock of horseshit anyway considering there are almost half a dozen countries that fall into that category, but since we've had 2 english and 1 scot coaching the reds; allow me try to describe a "UK" coach. they are the dump and chase coaches which exercise no tactical thought; just athleticism, speed and as per mendieta - a mars bar with tonns of beer a flowing in the dressing room post game :drinking:

it may be a symptom of why the english NT doesn't have an english coach or why some of their top domestic clubs are coached by foreigners but i digress.

:scarf::flare::drum: PREKI!!! :drum: :flare::scarf:

Generalisation....Ferguson doesn't play longball and he's a Scot.

Sonny Cheeba
11-18-2009, 02:46 PM

Nor do Moyes or Redknapp.... very poor generalization.

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 02:55 PM
maybe they should coach the united kingdom NT, or the british NT then. just make sure an italian isn't on the shortlist and you should be okay.

TFC Tifoso
11-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Also interesting to note that Preki played with Mo at Everton and KC Wiz. Seems like more backscratching.

possibly, but Preki does have pedigree....sure, Mo has been accused of making the easy choice in the past, but in this case, under the circumstances, the easy choice is also the best choice, IMO...

good move by TFC.....looks like they will have their first competent coach in team history.....

Sonny Cheeba
11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
maybe they should coach the united kingdom NT, or the british NT then. just make sure an italian isn't on the shortlist and you should be okay.

are you serious with these bolded words?

shaggingscot
11-18-2009, 03:03 PM

Step away from the keyboard Cheebs, he's baiting you...

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Nor do Moyes or Redknapp.... very poor generalization.

it shows by what they've accomplished. besides a manager of the month and FA cup honour, what else have these 2 amounted to?

this explains tonns.

btw wasn't it redknapp who 2 days ago was complaining how an english coaching badge means nothing nowadays overseas?

shaggingscot
11-18-2009, 03:08 PM
it shows by what they've accomplished. besides a manager of the month and FA cup honour, what else have these 2 amounted to?

this explains tonns.

btw wasn't it redknapp who 2 days ago was complaining how an english coaching badge means nothing nowadays overseas?

If they had the money available to them that others did maybe that would have been different though. In English football these days money talks more than anything.

trane
11-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Yeah, but keep in mind both Preki and Mo played until ages beyond the norm, so they might have a bias towards believing age is just a number -- which is a hell of a lot more true for a pedigree'd striker or forward than a 5'10 MLS-raised weak and slow centre half.

Just to make sure that all his qualities are mentioned.

Sonny Cheeba
11-18-2009, 03:14 PM
well you're turning the discussion into one about the English Men's team coach. my point is that they're not all horseshit and don't play the long ball.... seems that from your first statement that you're generalizing based on 3 TFC coaches.

Monk
11-18-2009, 03:19 PM

NO!! *shock*;)

Dare to dream. We aimed high for a guy who can possibly get us to the playoffs. Not that I've seen he has accomplished much more than just getting there. Totally underwhelmed by this.

-W.

VPjr
11-18-2009, 03:21 PM

It doesn't mean much in the rest of Europe (or South America) but here in Canada, an FA badge is still highly coveted because there is still a very strong British Isles influence in our "system".

What's sad is that our Canadian badges have almost no value outside of Canada. a CSA A license coach better have his USSF A license if he plans to register for a UEFA A licensing program because the CSA badge alone does not suffice.

Beach_Red
11-18-2009, 03:26 PM
It doesn't mean much in the rest of Europe (or South America) but here in Canada, an FA badge is still highly coveted because there is still a very strong British Isles influence in our "system".

What's sad is that our Canadian badges have almost no value outside of Canada. a CSA A license coach better have his USSF A license if he plans to register for a UEFA A licensing program because the CSA badge alone does not suffice.

That's just the world's revenge for Canadian hockey not having any foreign coaches at any level ;).

Shaughno
11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Absolutely. They're very close. If Nicol didn't have two years remaining on his current contract, he would have been here.

That's exactly my point. Why bother discussing a coach we can't acquire until two years down the road? At this point in time, did anyone really expect him to come to Toronto?

Sorry for the lack of clarity on my last post. ;)

trane
11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
well you're turning the discussion into one about the English Men's team coach. my point is that they're not all horseshit and don't play the long ball.... seems that from your first statement that you're generalizing based on 3 TFC coaches.

But the real question is, are they for or against the children?

[ But I agree anybody that watches EPL will tell you that for the most part the long ball stuff is largely a thing of the past]

ag futbol
11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
The point he's trying to make about the "uk" coach (which he isn't really saying uk, he's saying the type of coach we've had that people associate with UK for some reason) is no mored idiots who value athleticism to the point where we have deficient players with no technical ability and tactical awareness on the field.

And to a certain extent that is an oft used stereotype of the way soccer is played throughout the UK.

CretanBull
11-18-2009, 04:12 PM
The sterotype is horseshit, but that aside...I realize that longball isn't the most attractive soccer to watch but it's a part of the game for a reason - it works.

jloome
11-18-2009, 04:47 PM
NO!! *shock*;)

Dare to dream. We aimed high for a guy who can possibly get us to the playoffs. Not that I've seen he has accomplished much more than just getting there. Totally underwhelmed by this.

-W.

Coach of the year his first year and in three years, none of those teams should've made the playoffs. He overachieved at Chivas. If he was easier to get along with, he'd still be there.

He's a good coach with a mean streak and we need that.

ag futbol
11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
The sterotype is horseshit, but that aside...I realize that longball isn't the most attractive soccer to watch but it's a part of the game for a reason - it works.
Not really. You can't employ it as any kind of primary strategy and expect success. It's continued use leads is rather predictable and easy to defend.

In today's game it is (at best) a way to occasionally mix up your attack. But to be honest with you my opinion of it isn't even that high.

InDa_110
11-18-2009, 07:44 PM
This is by far the most laughable thread I've ever read through.

I'm dreading the fact that we of different backgrounds are going to be in the same facility during the world cup....wait a minute, wasn't that what we prided ourselves on, and raved about at length that made this city what it is, and this franchise what it is????

My two cents remains the same: There exists a serious rift amongst the players on this team, keeping Mo and introducing yet another one of his choices, (regardless of country of origin), will continue to be a hinderance on this team becoming successful because more than half this team can't stand him. Unless part of the deal and/or understanding is that Mo has no say in who plays and how they play be prepared for the possibuility of another year or two of disapointment.....................which on the bright side will pave the way for Danny Dichio as head coach in 2012......maybe Tom's not that stupid after all????????????

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 08:03 PM

no are you serious????

no too sharp are ye?

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 08:06 PM
This is by far the most laughable thread I've ever read through.

I'm dreading the fact that we of different backgrounds are going to be in the same facility during the world cup....wait a minute, wasn't that what we prided ourselves on, and raved about at length that made this city what it is, and this franchise what it is????

My two cents remains the same: There exists a serious rift amongst the players on this team, keeping Mo and introducing yet another one of his choices, (regardless of country of origin), will continue to be a hinderance on this team becoming successful because more than half this team can't stand him. Unless part of the deal and/or understanding is that Mo has no say in who plays and how they play be prepared for the possibuility of another year or two of disapointment.....................which on the bright side will pave the way for Danny Dichio as head coach in 2012......maybe Tom's not that stupid after all????????????

no he's not. that's why preki's coming....it's anselmi's move.

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 08:14 PM

really? and which team "that works" uses it as their primary strategy? the champions league's barcelona? how about les girondins from france? i saw spain lobbing all kinds of long balls on their way to a euro cup. inter too. brazil? them and their 5 WCs are notorious for it, same with argentina. manure? i know i'm not a fan of british coaches but fergie knows how to play proper footy, football that wins mind you.

so please enlighten me cretin, i mean cretan. please explain to me how the longball works? besides it working "miracles" for toronto FC this year :rolleyes:

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 08:29 PM

right, that's the CSA for you though isn't it. the main criteria for a job here is to have an english accent. it's too bad though that's indicative to our development here as a football nation, opposed to it being a testament to british football. the FA badge that is. nonetheless, good points.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-18-2009, 08:34 PM
InDa 110 - I still think that youre not giving enough credit to Preki InDa 110, nor are you giving enough credit to MLSE to see that Mo hasnt got much of a lifeline left but i guess we will see how it pans out

InDa_110
11-18-2009, 08:52 PM
InDa 110 - I still think that youre not giving enough credit to Preki InDa 110, nor are you giving enough credit to MLSE to see that Mo hasnt got much of a lifeline left but i guess we will see how it pans out

The only judgement anyone can make of preki right now is that he is mo's guy and Tom approved him, period. If he can turn this team around, and TFC goes to the playoffs next year believe me, i'll book my trip while the players are still walking off the field from the clinching game. My concern remains that this is a very divided team and most of the bad feelings are directed to, or a result of decisions made by Mo. Lest we forget this is the third coach,(interm or otherwise) hired by Mo, with the first two yielding the same result of continued division amongst the players.

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 08:59 PM

well said. reason why mo still has a job is because he's the only one in the organization who knows football. i'm not his biggest fan but he was a player (a judas scum cunt of a player mind you), familiar with MLS, he drafts well and he's identified, by some of the MLS "high profile" player signings he's made, the components which will help sell the game not only in TO but in canada - by bringing in good canadian content. and that they are! with dero, serioux and de guzman we are a much better team because of it.

as a TD i have absolutly no problem with him. it's his insistence to meddle with the affairs of the coach which is the reason why all we can attract are the cummins' and carver's of the world or shall i say, puppets. thankfully, with preki, it's a MLS&E decision, not a johnston move.

Yalomed
11-18-2009, 09:04 PM
The only judgement anyone can make of preki right now is that he is mo's guy and Tom approved him, period. If he can turn this team around, and TFC goes to the playoffs next year believe me, i'll book my trip while the players are still walking off the field from the clinching game. My concern remains that this is a very divided team and most of the bad feelings are directed to, or a result of decisions made by Mo. Lest we forget this is the third coach,(interm or otherwise) hired by Mo, with the first two yielding the same result of continued division amongst the players.

YOU, are taking mo's position for granted. "tom" did more than just approve this guy. after watching seattle in their first year make the playoffs while we're going into our 4th season still without 1 playoff appearance ... tom anselmi had much more say than you give him credit for.

between you and me

Beach_Red
11-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Would this be the more than half that gave up in the final game? So, they take the paycheck and screw the fans because they don't like the guy who hired them?

You make them sound like petulant children.

Shakes McQueen
11-18-2009, 09:14 PM

A lot of people seem to think pro soccer players should be treated like small children, except when they act up, it's the GM's fault for not getting the baby formula to just the right temperature - we can't expect some basic level of professionalism from them.

Imagine if you had the same perspective in your own work life. "I don't feel like doing my job today, because my boss is a jerk."

You'll be on the dole in a week.

- Scott

TFC115
11-18-2009, 09:18 PM
toronto fc's website is saying mo is announcing the new head coach on thursday.... so i guess it's gotta be preki.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-18-2009, 09:58 PM
In Da 110- Just curious why Preki's record as a strict coach and a proven coach isnt enough for you? (im not goading you, im serious)
Also curious as to who youd pick instead?
Wouldnt they technically qualify as Mo's pick no matter what?

Blizzard
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
In Da 110- Just curious why Preki's record as a strict coach and a proven coach isnt enough for you? (im not goading you, im serious)
Also curious as to who youd pick instead?
Wouldnt they technically qualify as Mo's pick no matter what?

You make a valid point. There are people here (and elsewhere) that would be upset no matter who Mo hired. If Mo brought in Alex Ferguson and we didn't win 30 of 30 games, people would blame Mo and insist he be fired. :rolleyes:

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Would this be the more than half that gave up in the final game? So, they take the paycheck and screw the fans because they don't like the guy who hired them?

that they may be...lest be honest they did really play their hearts out since Aug...so some of the players need to Go..and if preki is the new manager let him open the door and boot out the problem chid (ren)

InDa_110
11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
YOU, are taking mo's position for granted. "tom" did more than just approve this guy. after watching seattle in their first year make the playoffs while we're going into our 4th season still without 1 playoff appearance ... tom anselmi had much more say than you give him credit for.

between you and me

Between you and me, I've had some of the players themselves tell me "Tom is a good businessman but knows nothing about soccer". What you're saying is Mo has a history with preki that goes back approx 10 years, but Tom had significantly more to do with his hiring other than an administrative approval?

denime
11-18-2009, 11:13 PM
toronto fc's website is saying mo is announcing the new head coach on thursday.... so i guess it's gotta be preki.
When you bring news like this,please put the link too.

http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091118&content_id=7683052&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

done ;)

CretanBull
11-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Not really. You can't employ it as any kind of primary strategy and expect success. It's continued use leads is rather predictable and easy to defend.

In today's game it is (at best) a way to occasionally mix up your attack. But to be honest with you my opinion of it isn't even that high.

really? and which team "that works" uses it as their primary strategy? the champions league's barcelona? how about les girondins from france? i saw spain lobbing all kinds of long balls on their way to a euro cup. inter too. brazil? them and their 5 WCs are notorious for it, same with argentina. manure? i know i'm not a fan of british coaches but fergie knows how to play proper footy, football that wins mind you.

so please enlighten me cretin, i mean cretan. please explain to me how the longball works? besides it working "miracles" for toronto FC this year :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension)

I'd explain it, but you clearly can't understand what you read. Try watching these instead...

Kaka - long ball pass to Fabiano - goal
pGNymbZ4XQE

De Boer - long ball pass to Bergkamp - goal
ESl0-qZxlik&

Now, find an adult and have them to explain the difference between "a part of the game" and "primary strategy".

JDG
11-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Confirmation it seems :D

Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)
(http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)
Another long day coming atcha. Big presser to announce worst kept secret, then off to rainy seattle. (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne/status/5855993827)from (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)Tweetie (http://www.atebits.com/)
(http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension)

Now, find an adult and have them to explain the difference between "a part of the game" and "primary strategy".
Good post. Slovenia's goal against Russia last night came off a 'long ball' as well.

There's not a team in the world that won't send the ball route one when they see a striker making a good run. Obviously some teams use it more than others, but yeah. Another example:

FA_eSKHK9Fk

sulfur
11-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Confirmation it seems :D
You missed the one from last night then...

Tfc to announce new head coach tomorrow ... And coach Sue on glee is nowhere to be seen on tonights episode. Hmmmm. Coincidence?

Heheh.

ag futbol
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM

I'd explain it, but you clearly can't understand what you read. Try watching these instead...
[/youtube]

Ok #1, the Brazil goal you posted isn’t even a long ball. It might be a good idea to know what you’re talking about before you post. You have a linking pass from an attacking player to another attacking player that cuts behind the defense (on the ground no less).

And congratulations on digging out one Dutch goal from 10 years ago. Soccer has changed a lot since then and if you ever watched that team you'd know the metal was always in the creativity on the ground and not long hopeful passes.

Here's a diagram for you to study at night .. memorize it and come back to reconstruct your terrible argument. http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/13_long-ball.png

canadian_bhoy
11-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Anyone know which club badge this is in the photo? It's a shot from PaulB's twitter of Preki signing on the dotted line.

(paul, sorry if this post is creepy) - I'm just curious to know which club is on that page.

http://i48.tinypic.com/264m0jk.png

Nuvinho
11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
^ Siena?

btw, I see Paul got his stapler back from Mo.

Blizzard
11-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Anyone know which club badge this is in the photo? It's a shot from PaulB's twitter of Preki signing on the dotted line.

(paul, sorry if this post is creepy) - I'm just curious to know which club is on that page.

http://i48.tinypic.com/264m0jk.png

Hmmmmm. Paul got his stapler back.

Edit: Damn you Nuvinho! ;)

Dirk Diggler
11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Thank god Paul took the picture ... Preki can't back out now muhuhahaha

CretanBull
11-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Ok #1, the Brazil goal you posted isn’t even a long ball. It might be a good idea to know what you’re talking about before you post. You have a linking pass from an attacking player to another attacking player that cuts behind the defense (on the ground no less).

And congratulations on digging out one Dutch goal from 10 years ago. Soccer has changed a lot since then and if you ever watched that team you'd know the metal was always in the creativity on the ground and not long hopeful passes.

Here's a diagram for you to study at night .. memorize it and come back to reconstruct your terrible argument. http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/13_long-ball.png

Definition of 'long ball'....

"Long ball is the term used in association football to describe an attempt, often speculative, to distribute the ball a long distance down the field via a cross, without the intention to pass it to the feet of the receiving player."

As demonstrated by the Bergkamp goal.

"The Long ball technique is also a through pass from distance in an effort to get the ball by the defensive line and create a foot race between striker and defender"

As demonstrated by the Fabiano goal.

You're 0-2 sparky. Now please stop commenting on posts that you don't comprehend and don't call out others for not knowing what they're talking about while you put your own ignorance on display.

Honestly, leave it alone - the hole you're in can't be dug out of.

jloome
11-20-2009, 06:42 PM

"Long ball is the term used in association football to describe an attempt, often speculative, to distribute the ball a long distance down the field via a cross, without the intention to pass it to the feet of the receiving player."

As demonstrated by the Bergkamp goal.

"The Long ball technique is also a through pass from distance in an effort to get the ball by the defensive line and create a foot race between striker and defender"

As demonstrated by the Fabiano goal.

You're 0-2 sparky. Now please stop commenting on posts that you don't comprehend and don't call out others for not knowing what they're talking about while you put your own ignorance on display.

Honestly, leave it alone - the hole you're in can't be dug out of.

Give it up CB, he's patently lost this one but doesn't have the humility to accept it, so just walk away. No point.

LucaGol
11-20-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm not sure where you are quoting this from ... but you are making arguments based on technicalities.

You know what the difference is ... and I'm pretty sure you're just being difficult by showing the Luis Fabiano goal.

99% of people who watch soccer interpret the phrase long ball as direct play, usually as a result of one long airborne pass to an attacker, attempting to bypass the midfield for the quickest route to goal.

Secondly, I think it is fairly important to make the distinction between primary strategy and just a one-off play. I'm not sure why you think otherwise, seeing as this is the main bone of contention. There is a difference between being able to successfully make a long pass on occasion to vary your attack versus mindlessly knocking the ball up-field every possession.

Lastly, when the phrase long ball is used ... it's more generally used in the context of an overarching tactical philosophy ... not on a play-by-play basis.

You will never here the term "long ball" and "Brazil" used in the same sentence. Do Brazil make the occasional long pass? Yes of course they do ... every team does. Do they "play" long ball in the traditional sense of the word? ... No of course not.