PDA

View Full Version : Grass Developments

Hitcho
11-11-2009, 04:30 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1456

Bob Hunter on TFC TV on the grass project beginning in the NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS!!! :D:D:D

Some interesting snippets:

- we are getting a $3.3m pitch which is the same quality as the english premier league (Chicago and COlorado have the same kind of thing);

- all the construction will be done in the next 6 weeks or so so the ground settles, freezes and thaws before the sod goes on in spring;

- it's going to be drainage, heating and 8 inches of top soil now, then the sod goes o top of that come spring; and

- nice bit of mud kicked in the eyes of the Limp Act for their $500k pitch vs our top notch one and why they had to keep relaying it, hehehe.

Also, Lamport bubbling is right on track.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

MUFC_Niagara
11-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Chicago has a NICE pitch. If ours looks nice as theirs then we will be in business!!!

flambe
11-11-2009, 04:41 PM
VERY nice.
Thanks for the update.

Canary Canuck
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Colorado's grass is orgasmic. This will be top notch

Redcoe15
11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
:stogey:

Cashcleaner
11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the update, Hitchy. I'm just glad that this whole issue can get sorted out once and for all.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-12-2009, 12:11 AM
so psyched, cant wait to see it in person next season

SilverSamurai
11-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Excellent
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qodNkNFra3o/R60NFZ3NJJI/AAAAAAAAAmE/2nlbnBDOSeo/s320/mr+burns.jpg

Shakes McQueen
11-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Great to hear it. Next up, we should push for a roof around the stands! :D

Not just to help with weather, but also to make the crowd sound louder.

- Scott

Brooker
11-12-2009, 07:45 AM
^^^

who cares about the weather?! just get it louder! :)

Hitcho
11-12-2009, 09:18 AM
In all fairness, this is a great example of something MLSE is doing right, right and very fucking right. They could easily have hashed this one, gone for something cheaper and easier to maintain which provided a poorer playing surface but kept the fans happy ebcause it was "grass". I know their hands are tied to some extent by the weather so they kind of had to have a decent heating and drainage system, but it sounds as though they are going bollocks out to get us a world class grass pitch that PL teams would be happy to play on.

Of course, the cynic might say "now they can get Madrid or Barca here every year for a cash grab and they'll pay it all off in a couple of mid-season friendlies".

But I think they deserve some kudos for this. Even if the trade off is a big name mid-season friendly each year to help pay for it, the additional benefits of being able to attract better players, having a top class pitch to play on for home games etc are worth it. And if we do get a kcik ass European team every season (even if not included in the SSH package) then it may at least keep raising the profile of the game here, which is always good. (For the record, I am dead against mid-season friendlies and I want them stopepd, but I am being realistic here).

Thanks MLSE. If this pitch is what Bob is claiming it will be, then thanks. Just thanks. :D

Chevy
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
+1. Proof that MLSE is not the big bad wolf that many make it out to be.

Hitcho
11-12-2009, 09:50 AM
^ well there's always a balance with MLSE. I don't think for one second they are doing this just because they love the game, but in this instance I also don't think this is just based on money making for them. They recognise that the outlay will A) bring substantial improvements to TFC as a club and B) also generate more revenue streams for them.

And let's be honest kids, no money means no team. That's true of all clubs everywhere.

So the balance looks good here because we're not just getting "a" grass pitch, we seem to be getting a KICK ASS grass pitch with a sophisticated heating and drainage system. And that extra mile was walked by MLSE when it didn't really have to be. That's the bit I am grateful to them for.

boban
11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
^^ You forgot to mention they were forced into this situation. 1 by the fans, and 2, by MLS who wouldn't release the Edu money until all was spent ($3.5 m) on the club (infrastructure included).

deltox
11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
they wouldnt release the money....... wheres the info about that ?

boban
11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
It's common knowledge MLS has rules on how to spend transfer money revenue.
It must be used on the club and cannot be simply pocketed by the owner.

Shakes McQueen
11-12-2009, 10:51 AM

That's right. And we have no idea what amount of it was used on getting grass.

- Scott

deltox
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
yes....but how do you know it wasnt used to help pay for the academy?

boban
11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
That's right. And we have no idea what amount of it was used on getting grass.

- Scott
Pretty big fucken chunk.

boban
11-12-2009, 10:57 AM
yes....but how do you know it wasnt used to help pay for the academy?
Academy was already up and running.
And those revenue streams were figured out before they took in their first player.
The grass is an out and out cost. Knowing how MLSE operates, they used as little as possible form their own kitty.

Shakes McQueen
11-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Pretty big fucken chunk.

Source?

I have no doubt some of money was probably used to pay for this renovation to BMO Field, but you're simply trying to downplay this significant investment into our playing surface as something that was basically forced on MLSE - which it wasn't.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
11-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Knowing how MLSE operates, they used as little as possible form their own kitty.

Knowing how they operate? So when they built that big expansion at the ACC that opened this season, was that paid for with their money? Or the new centre-ice videoboard they introduced LAST season at the ACC - was that their money?

I have no doubt they tried to keep their own costs down, but that's simply good business. You say it like it's an indictment.

- Scott

mastermixer
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
The only thing I didn't like was that he said they may not donate the turf to a school cuz it may be too expensive to transfer..

daner90
11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I wonder how this will effect the CMNT playing at BMO in the future....hopefully with a world class pitch installedm they will starting using BMO as their true home.

Wagner
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I wonder how this will effect the CMNT playing at BMO in the future....hopefully with a world class pitch installedm they will starting using BMO as their true home.

I believe that that was part of the pitch for the new pitch...

more revenue from more world class/elite football matches.

Hessanfefer
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Colorado's grass is orgasmic. This will be top notch
Orgasmic! Hmmmm.....:rolleyes:

Ageroo
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM

It will truely be the National Soccer Stadium then.........After the support they received for the Jamaica match...I can't see why they wouldn't want to use it exclusively....No offence to the rest of Canada.....but with this field being installed....ALL matches should come to Toronto! :D

Hitcho
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
^^ You forgot to mention they were forced into this situation. 1 by the fans, and 2, by MLS who wouldn't release the Edu money until all was spent ($3.5 m) on the club (infrastructure included).

Forced? I think you dramatically over estimate the impact of a few whinging SG members (no offence guys! :D). They may have got the message that this is want the fans wanted, but forced? I think not.

And yes everyone knows that the Edu money had limitations on how it could be spent, but Mo and others have already said that what was left was nowehere near enough to cover the whole project. Don't forget that out of the $5m or so, MLS takes a chunk, a chunk went to allocation/salary type stuff etc.

And even if you were right, there's no reason MLSE couldn't have just put in something far inferior to what it now seems we are getting. How do you account for that?

We give them shit when they deserve it, but that's no reason not to give them kudos when they deserve that too. :scarf:

boban
11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Knowing how they operate? So when they built that big expansion at the ACC that opened this season, was that paid for with their money? Or the new centre-ice videoboard they introduced LAST season at the ACC - was that their money?

I have no doubt they tried to keep their own costs down, but that's simply good business. You say it like it's an indictment.

- Scott
You go with that.

Shakes McQueen
11-12-2009, 12:10 PM
You go with that.

Better yet - you point out what's factually incorrect about it.

- Scott

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-12-2009, 12:11 PM

I'd love to see the CMNT play its first international game on the new grass vs USA A little friendly BMO send off to the WC2010 is what the yanks need ;)..

We need more games with the yanks....and mexico...if we want to compete in concacaf along with more home games in this country...its time showcase the mens CMNTin this country and get them playing home games in this country is the way to do this..!

USA vs CANADA...MAY BMO FIELD?? would be a great start! :canada:

flambe
11-12-2009, 12:20 PM
BMO = the Canadian Wembley?

:cheers:

Ageroo
11-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Now that is what I am talking about....it works for England......:D

Hitcho
11-12-2009, 12:34 PM
There's definitely merit in that idea, especially if the north stand goes up. where else can compete when you factor in pitch quality, crowd capacity and fan fervour?

plus if footie is really going to grow in Canada then the national team is a key element of that. and they'll need a fortress type home with fervent support. and it would be great for all of us to be rewarded with easy access to CMNT games for producing such a kick ass atmosphere around TFC.

ladies and gentlemen, I give you BMO Field... it's even RED for crying out loud!

Although isn't there some issue with the CMNT and sponsorhsip and use of names and stuff?

Ageroo
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Although isn't there some issue with the CMNT and sponsorhsip and use of names and stuff?

I don't think that is an issue.......During the U20 WC it was called the National Soccer Stadium and not BMO field. Ad boards and what not can be easily covered and new boards brought in specifically for National Team events.......that is probably a small issue.

BFin
11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I love grass.

MUFC_Niagara
11-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Exaclty, you people are so stupid....even my mother knew that! :rolleyes:

Miko
11-12-2009, 01:02 PM

more like:

Wembley= the English BMO

:canada:

pppperkins
11-12-2009, 01:05 PM
chant for next year

WE GOT 99 Problems but our Pitch aint one

Hitcho
11-12-2009, 03:11 PM
^ This Is Our Grass!!

billyfly
11-12-2009, 03:14 PM
^ This Is Our Grass!!

I swear its not mine. I am only holding it for a friend.

Rudi
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't think that is an issue.......During the U20 WC it was called the National Soccer Stadium and not BMO field. Ad boards and what not can be easily covered and new boards brought in specifically for National Team events.......that is probably a small issue.
That was because BMO and Carlsberg aren't FIFA sponsors.

BMO is a sponsor of the CSA, and I don't think they care who the beer sponsor of the stadium is.

During national team games, the stadium was still called BMO Field, and none of the signs were covered up. Even during World Cup Qualifying it was called BMO Field.

The only issue is during FIFA championships, which won't be happening again at the stadium for a long time, if ever.

Beach_Red
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Except we'll never allow NFL games at BMO....

Hitcho
11-12-2009, 05:19 PM
^ haha right on!

BMO Field is our temple, and the new grass will be the altar. Philly will be the inaugural sacrifical lambs. Philly cheese lamb kebabs all round please.

jloome
11-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Better yet - you point out what's factually incorrect about it.

- Scott

I'm not even sure what you two are arguing about.

Boban's right, because technically no business spends money unless it thinks it has to. It would be foolish to assume that neither the fans' concern — based on very real player considerations like signings and injury — did not influence that decision.

Scott's right because a) it is good for us; b) we don't know the division of the Edu money, so even if it is $3.3M, a good chunk of that could come from capital budgets or capital reserves.

Ultimately pointless, as none of us were in the room when the decisions were made.

rocker
11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
what does it cost to manage grass per year? I assume this an additional yearly expense to somebody, right? Is it to the entity defined as the stadium, or to TFC?
I figure they'll have to hire somebody full time as groundskeeper.

jloome
11-12-2009, 08:23 PM
what does it cost to manage grass per year? I assume this an additional yearly expense to somebody, right? Is it to the entity defined as the stadium, or to TFC?
I figure they'll have to hire somebody full time as groundskeeper.

Given that TFC foots the bill either way, I'm not sure it matters. Sure it's a civic facility, but TFC runs it. City just gets 50% of the profits, as far as I can figure.

Shakes McQueen
11-13-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm not even sure what you two are arguing about.

Boban's right, because technically no business spends money unless it thinks it has to. It would be foolish to assume that neither the fans' concern — based on very real player considerations like signings and injury — did not influence that decision.

Scott's right because a) it is good for us; b) we don't know the division of the Edu money, so even if it is $3.3M, a good chunk of that could come from capital budgets or capital reserves.

Ultimately pointless, as none of us were in the room when the decisions were made.

There was no argument over those facts - simply his dismissive "you go with that", as though anything I said was actually incorrect. Which is why I asked him to point out what I said that was actually wrong.

- Scott

Oldtimer
11-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Of the $3.3 million from the Edu deal, $500k was allowed as an allocation for players. So that only leaves $2.8 million, under MLS rules.

It was mentioned at the time of the Edu deal that some of the money was going to be spent on the academy, so we can assume that was the case. So MLSE certainly spent some of their own money on the grass, especially if you count that the cost was really over $5 million, when you count taking out the old FieldTurf, moving the bubble, and building another rec pitch for the city of Toronto.

MLSE didn't have to spend that kind of money, but they did. They could have put in a much cheaper grass solution, and still made the fans happy while still bringing in big clubs for friendlies. It's good to see them putting some money back into making TFC a success.

SteeltownBhoy
11-13-2009, 08:48 AM
For you Tech Geeks

I think the system being installed will be the SUBAIR SYSTEM, company out of the Carolinas. They put the system in at Chicago, Colorado, Salt Lake and some other NFL AND MLB parks. They also just put the system in At the sweet New York Red Bull Stadium. They also installed the pich at Fuhlum FC.

From the way the MLSE rep talked about the how the system would work and teams that have it, well, these are the guys who installed it!!

Went to the website very, very high tech stuff, not cheap. MLSE certainly have not cheaped out on this one.

Hope they have constant updates (pictures) of the installation for fans and us tech geeks alike!!

ensco
11-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Oldtimer is 100% correct. Face it, MLSE could have used the Edu money to sugn DeGuzman, and stop there. The grass decision cost them real money.

It also cost MLSE something that we can't assess, real political capital. By getting this done, there will be something else they want that involves the City that they now can't get done.

Hitcho
11-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Of the $3.3 million from the Edu deal, $500k was allowed as an allocation for players. So that only leaves $2.8 million, under MLS rules.

It was mentioned at the time of the Edu deal that some of the money was going to be spent on the academy, so we can assume that was the case. So MLSE certainly spent some of their own money on the grass, especially if you count that the cost was really over $5 million, when you count taking out the old FieldTurf, moving the bubble, and building another rec pitch for the city of Toronto.

MLSE didn't have to spend that kind of money, but they did. They could have put in a much cheaper grass solution, and still made the fans happy while still bringing in big clubs for friendlies. It's good to see them putting some money back into making TFC a success.

Agree 100%. Sure, a chunk of the Edu money is being used to pay for the various projects that are combining to bring us grass. But MLSe are left with a substantial addition to make (at least a couple of million, if not more) from their own capital to make this happen. They didn't have to do this, or at least not to the extent that they are doing it.

So come on guys, kudos where it is dude. We don't want to be the kid that whines all year about wanting about wanting a PSP and then still complains when getting a PS3 for Xmas. :)

rocker
11-13-2009, 09:00 AM
For you Tech Geeks

I think the system being installed will be the SUBAIR SYSTEM, company out of the Carolinas. They put the system in at Chicago, Colorado, Salt Lake and some other NFL AND MLB parks. They also just put the system in At the sweet New York Red Bull Stadium. They also installed the pich at Fuhlum FC.

From the way the MLSE rep talked about the how the system would work and teams that have it, well, these are the guys who installed it!!

Went to the website very, very high tech stuff, not cheap. MLSE certainly have not cheaped out on this one.

Hope they have constant updates (pictures) of the installation for fans and us tech geeks alike!!

thanks for the note. I just looked it up.. interesting.

did you see Rio Tinto stadium had a monster truck rally on their grass field??? holy shit

http://www.subairsystems.com/SubAirSport/MonsterTruckRally.htm

SteeltownBhoy
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
thanks for the note. I just looked it up.. interesting.

did you see Rio Tinto stadium had a monster truck rally on their grass field??? holy shit

http://www.subairsystems.com/SubAirSport/MonsterTruckRally.htm

I saw that LOL. Can you imagine the reaction out of some of us here(myself included) if BMO dumped tons of dirt over our Virgin grass and let "Crusher" do figue 8's all over it. I think some would go postal.

deltox
11-13-2009, 10:51 AM
i also see that their website lists the Redbull arena as belonging to the NJ redbulls and not NY redbulls

jabbronies
11-13-2009, 11:03 AM
From what I've ready, the Leafs have decent ice. They are ranked among the top 5 in the NHL. So it would only make sense that TFC follow suite with proper grass.

SteeltownBhoy
11-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Do you think one of the mods could start up "it's as exciting as watching grass grow" catch all thread to follow updates and developements as this progresses over the next few weeks.???? (I try)

Auzzy
11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Kudo's a dude? I did not know that.

Shakes McQueen
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
From what I've ready, the Leafs have decent ice. They are ranked among the top 5 in the NHL. So it would only make sense that TFC follow suite with proper grass.

You can fault MLSE for all kinds of things, but they invest in top-notch facilities for their teams.

Problems that can be solved by throwing money at them, are actually the issues MLSE handles pretty well. It's the intangibles they've stumbled on - though as I've mentioned before, they appear to be getting better at this aspect, with their Leafs and Raps hirings.

- Scott

Canary Canuck
11-13-2009, 12:40 PM
That subair system is great with the undersoil heating. Mexico played a friendly against Bolivia at Dick's Park in Colorado in early March and the grass was already a pristine rich green and in summer condition.

wIHo-ENYUI0

Blizzard
11-13-2009, 02:58 PM
That was because BMO and Carlsberg aren't FIFA sponsors.

BMO is a sponsor of the CSA, and I don't think they care who the beer sponsor of the stadium is.

During national team games, the stadium was still called BMO Field, and none of the signs were covered up. Even during World Cup Qualifying it was called BMO Field.

The only issue is during FIFA championships, which won't be happening again at the stadium for a long time, if ever.

Don't forget about the Pan-Ams. While they may not be a FIFA event, I would suspect that BMO Field may not be the name of record for the stadium during the event but we shall see.

Rudi
11-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Don't forget about the Pan-Ams.
That's a two-week event nearly six years from now, but yeah, the same rule will likely apply.

denime
11-13-2009, 03:28 PM
That's a two-week event nearly six years from now, but yeah, the same rule will likely apply.

It' actually only 1 week, August 7 to August 14, 2015,but yeah we can expect name to be changed for that event.

deltox
11-13-2009, 03:41 PM
well what will the rogers centre be called during the pan am games?

Hitcho
11-13-2009, 03:49 PM
The name won't be "changed", they just won't use the name for the pruposes of the Games. Don't mean to be pedantic, but the stadium will always be BMO Field, right through the Games, it's just that the name won't be used for official Games purposes, they'll just talk about Toronto or the Stadium instead. Fudge fudge fudge.

This actually raises an interesting issue. Some big English stadia have either recently changed or are considering changing their names. These places are world famous within the footballing community. If England gets the 2018 World Cup, then the Emirates will amost certainly be used. The whole football watching world will knwo it's called the Emirates, but what will they say on tv? (assuming emirates airlines does not sponsor the WC). What about xxx@Stamford Bridge? xxx@St James' Park? Any new Anfield that gets built?

But back on topic, BMO FIELD will be a good venue for the Pan Am Games with the new grass and underlyign care system in place. I wonder how many more seats will be there by that time as well? :D