PDA

View Full Version : Cunny Gets USMNT Call

ensco
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AmHJkhon1gPWp8AQorlJeHUmw7YF?slug=ap-us-slovakia&prov=ap&type=lgns

As the goalie in Slapshot said, "It make me sick"

MartinUtd
11-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Wow.. I wonder if Reading or any other European clubs are still looking at him too. He's obviously turning heads.

Jay P
11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
i see the USMNT takes their friendlies seriously...

TFC07
11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Good for him!

Seriously, you guys need to stop with this hate. If you're looking to blame someone on cunny's performance during his time in Toronto, then blame coaching staff. They're the ones who put cunny (lol...funny nickname BTW) in awkward position and shut him out (making him lose interest playing for TFC).

ensco
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
^That's not why "It make me sick"

We agree. I don't hate him.

Shaughno
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
^^ He also was trying to overcome a hernia injury, which isn't the easiest thing to do when 90% of your talent is based on speed (which Cunny's is).

I don't hate him, I just wish he wasn't pushed out of town while his confidence was shot on the road to recovery.

Sonny Cheeba
11-11-2009, 04:12 PM
good for cunny.

TFC07
11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
^^ He also was trying to overcome a hernia injury, which isn't the easiest thing to do when 90% of your talent is based on speed (which Cunny's is).

I don't hate him, I just wish he wasn't pushed out of town while his confidence was shot on the road to recovery.

Good point!

Before he got hurt, he was playing well for us. Remember "fast and furious" duo? That was our greatest striker duo in our history.

trane
11-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I am sorry, that is funny. I am not a Cunny hater, but christ that is a sad state of affairs for the USA. He is not a world class striker.

C.Ronaldo
11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
he is on a streak and they hope it continues

MartinUtd
11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I am sorry, that is funny. I am not a Cunny hater, but christ that is a sad state of affairs for the USA. He is not a world class striker.

Neither is Landon Donovan as was proven last winter in Munich. I think "world class" is setting the bar a little too high for the likes of CONCACAF

Canary Canuck
11-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Good for him!

Seriously, you guys need to stop with this hate. If you're looking to blame someone on cunny's performance during his time in Toronto, then blame coaching staff. They're the ones who put cunny (lol...funny nickname BTW) in awkward position and shut him out (making him lose interest playing for TFC).

How many times was he in alone on the keeper and couldn't finish?? How many times???? I have a hard time buying the "coach's fault" argument with all the horrible misses.

Shaughno
11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
How many times was he in alone on the keeper and couldn't finish?? How many times???? I have a hard time buying the "coach's fault" argument with all the horrible misses.

A striker's #1 enemy is lack of confidence. Show me ONE time when the coaches instilled our strikers with confidence over the past three years?

trane
11-11-2009, 05:33 PM
^ That is true, finishing can be so easy. Everything can be done for you and you just have to put it in the net, what is often called for is a clear calm mind. A lack of confidence does not help.

But still my point is that the USA have pretentions that they are contenders. Cunny is not a call up for a serious WC contending nation.

Shaughno
11-11-2009, 05:36 PM
^^ I would normally tend to agree... but his scoring speaks for itself lately. He's been on a tear and I think the USMNT is hoping to cash in on it.

trane
11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
^ I have not seen him this year. I always assume his goals come from speed coupled with poor MLS defending. Maybe I am wrong.

Sea Tac Sounder
11-11-2009, 06:36 PM
^

But still my point is that the USA have pretentions that they are contenders. Cunny is not a call up for a serious WC contending nation.

We are contenders. We got to the Confederations Cup final and nearly beat Brazil.

Call ups for these kind of friendlies are just to see if guys who are hot in the league could carry their good form over to the national team. Having depth at striker is what "World Class" teams have. If Cunningham nets a couple goals in these pre-WC friendlies he'd be depth.

Just because a guy is called up doesn't mean he is going to be "first choice" (thought you guys were "educated football fans).

We lost Charlie Davies due to the auto accident so we're searching for a replacement.

Cunningham, Findley all will get called up.

Nodoubtguy
11-11-2009, 06:39 PM
We are contenders. We got to the Confederations Cup final and nearly beat Brazil.

Call ups for these kind of friendlies are just to see if guys who are hot in the league could carry their good form over to the national team. Having depth at striker is what "World Class" teams have. If Cunningham nets a couple goals in these pre-WC friendlies he'd be depth.

Just because a guy is called up doesn't mean he is going to be "first choice" (thought you guys were "educated football fans).

We lost Charlie Davies due to the auto accident so we're searching for a replacement.

WHY ARE YOU HERE???
Don't you have some marching band to go listen to???

werewolf
11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Points by Canada in the Confederation Cup vs. Brazil -1
Points by USA in the Confederation Cup vs. Brazil - 0

BC101
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I LOLed... Cunny and Drogba at the world cup? please tell me this is not a dream.

werewolf
11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I LOLed... Cunny and Drogba at the world cup? please tell me this is not a dream.

Imagine if Emile Heskey gets called for England too.

BC101
11-11-2009, 06:49 PM
but its going to be amazing LOL Football is ready for this....

http://retroyakking.today.com/files/2009/05/drogba_fing_disgrace.jpg

and this

http://www.columbussports.com/content/bm%7Epix/cunningham%7Es600x600.jpg

BOOYA LOL

Nodoubtguy
11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
TURN YOUR SPEAKERS UP!!!

h_BjKLt3JXA

MartinUtd
11-11-2009, 08:26 PM
TURN YOUR SPEAKERS UP!!!

h_BjKLt3JXA

OMFG THAT IS EFFIN AWESOME

About the US striker situation... what's going on with Kenny Cooper? I figure if any 2009 FC Dallas player was going to have a crack at it, especially at striker it'd be him.

SvenFlu
11-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I am sorry, that is funny. I am not a Cunny hater, but christ that is a sad state of affairs for the USA.

No it isn't. Donovan and Ching aren't available because of MLS playoffs. Charlie Davies just got out of hospital. Kenny Cooper wasn't called in because Bob Bradley has a boner for Conor Casey. Cunningham probably won't even see the field as he's behind Altidore and Dempsey.

It's pretty damn ironic you're calling the U.S. forward situation sad.

Points by Canada in the Confederation Cup vs. Brazil -1
Points by USA in the Confederation Cup vs. Brazil - 0

Points by Canada in CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying: 2 out of 18

werewolf
11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
^ the guy brought up Brazil, try to keep up.

To avoid further confusion and increase the flow of information, here is what Brazil look like.

ALowezAG_p4

canadian_bhoy
11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I thought he was Jamican?

Who cares - he's a douche.

Shakes McQueen
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
If only Carver had given Cunny more backrubs and blowjobs, maybe he would have had the confidence to hit some of those easy sitters he squandered in his time here. Poor guy.

- Scott

werewolf
11-11-2009, 09:35 PM
my favourite Cunny moment was when at DC last year, he got the ball around the 6-yard box and put it into the upper deck at RFK. Let's see if he can regain that form.

Shakes McQueen
11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
my favourite Cunny moment was when at DC last year, he got the ball around the 6-yard box and put it into the upper deck at RFK. Let's see if he can regain that form.

The goal line sitter in the draw against Montreal last season, that would have seen us through to the Champion's League playoff, will forever be burned into my brain.

- Scott

SvenFlu
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
^ the guy brought up Brazil, try to keep up.

To avoid further confusion and increase the flow of information, here is what Brazil look like.

I can read. I know he brought up Brazil. You brought up Canada to somehow insinuate they are somehow comparable to the U.S.

MartinUtd
11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Are you Sea Tac Sounder?

keem-o-sabi
11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
It's okay that you guys don't like us, we still are miles ahead of the Canadian game. Hell Kilometers ahead if you will.

But the situation is, a few of our players are hurt, a few more are still in MLS playoffs and to be honest, this is really for the fringe players to get some more time in against two groups that are in the WC. It will be a good test to see where they are at mixed in with some regulars.

I'm excited to see a few things. As for Cunny, he's there I think to be a quick option off the bench. I was surprised not to see Cooper called in (maybe he has a knock or something). I don't really like him all too much, but in the US/Costa Rica game I all of a sudden found him useful. He did a very little thing in the game that allowed us to come back into that match. We had the pressure on him, and CR went on the counter with like 2 minutes left (off a corner I believe) and he sprinted from the CR box all the way back and took away a passing option the player had in a 3 v 1 situation. He didn't have to touch the ball, but the play was an easy one to one of the players and him getting on his horse and taking away the passing lane made me go hmmmm. I like him now. I liked that.

SvenFlu, as long as you're on this board you're going to get anti-yank sentiment the whole time. It's unfortunate, but it's little brother syndrome.

rocker
11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
The goal line sitter in the draw against Montreal last season, that would have seen us through to the Champion's League playoff, will forever be burned into my brain.

- Scott

ya that game was unbelievable. TFC sent a barrage on the Montreal net.. it was crazy.. wave after wave of chances for the last 20-25 minutes.. and one of them was that Cunny miss.. still can't believe it.

werewolf
11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
It's okay that you guys don't like us, we still are miles ahead of the Canadian game. Hell Kilometers ahead if you will.

SvenFlu, as long as you're on this board you're going to get anti-yank sentiment the whole time. It's unfortunate, but it's little brother syndrome.

My anti-douchebag sentiment doesn't discriminate, it just so happens that the one team in CONCACAF has a larger contingent then others.

More Kenny Cooper, less landycakes.

keem-o-sabi
11-12-2009, 09:11 AM
hehehe. I like that werewolf :) I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I'll take Donovan over Cooper 100% of the time.

trane
11-12-2009, 02:42 PM

I am sorry, if you believe you are contenders you are dreaming. Seriously. You have more quality then you ever did on the squad I give you that. I like some of your players. But you are not deep, and your tallent is solid not great. Small countries like Crotian and Serbia, for example, have more tallent then you, I would compare you tallent level to that of Sweden, WITHOUT true World Class players like Ibra. I would say thought that I have always been a big fan of Cooper. But if you think you are as deep as tallented as the big countries, I am sorry you are just wrong.

keem-o-sabi
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Sea Tac is off, we aren't that deep. Trane you're right in that regard. Hey I think we've come further in the past 20 years than anyone ever thought possible. With the USSDA system we have in place now, hopefully that will help us start to develop better players that can compete at higher levels. We'll see, but I am hopeful. Now that MLS teams are starting to take their youth development much more seriously we should start to see that reap the benefits down the line....maybe by the time we host in 2018 or 2022...

trane
11-12-2009, 04:24 PM
^ Hey, you did much better then I thought you would, and you are a very competitive squad. That is a long way from 20 years ago, I admit. Further, I have to admit that when in comes to footy and the USA, my Canadian bias comes through strong.

keem-o-sabi
11-12-2009, 08:38 PM
it's okay trane, that's the way it's suppose to be and my Yank bias comes through strong too. I'm just forced to live here against my will and listen to canuck bias haha.

CretanBull
11-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I've got nothing against America, and don't really get Canadians who resent their success - but to each his own I guess. The best thing that could happen for the MLS and the Canadian national program would be for soccer to become a 1st rate sport in America and a good run at the World Cup will help that happen. Like it or not, but for the time being our success depends on their succes because until soccer is a more popular sport in North America then the clowns at the CSA will be allowed to continue to fuck things up without anyone outside of a small group of people noticing. If we want money and other types of investment put into our sport then it needs to have a bigger place in the North American sports landscape.

Go America!

werewolf
11-12-2009, 09:01 PM
If we put ourselves in the position to rely on others, we are doomed, and will always be catching up.

CretanBull
11-13-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm not talking about relying on the US, but rather recognizing that anything that helps them also helps us....

jloome
11-13-2009, 03:18 AM
The U.S. National team, and its positive international performances, is aptly compared to MLS; both excel on super strong athleticism, middling-to-good technique and ferocious desire, but are woefully, woefully behind European nations on how the game is read.

You can go a long way with heart and good athletes, it should be said.

Interestingly, this was basically an observation Freddie Ljunberg made in an interview about a month ago about MLS, and it applies to the national team, too.

felipe
11-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey, if Greece can win the euros, then I wouldn't bet against the US winning the world...(well, actually I would and will),

Then again, South Korea got to the semis, (with home advantage of course), but I see no reason why the states couldn't either. The toughest part will be getting out of the group stages - once past there, anyone can win a one-off match, and they have a good coach and a solid if unremarkable squad.

I mean, Denmark won the euros one year, when they didn't even qualify for it! 'Lucky' for them, a war broke out, and the euros needed a replacement...

So basically, yea, its not inconcievable they could win it all - but, are they one of the top 8 teams? I don't think so.

But this revisionist Cunny history makes me sick; the guy was a douche, and didn't try hard enough, period. - its not like he didn't have problems elsewhere, he's got a historical pattern of problems - the guy is his own worst enemy

Remember - he spoilt it for himself here, not the coaches.

He'll flop for the states, if he even gets an opportunity. He's not good enough; and hes not a team player.

werewolf
11-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm not talking about relying on the US, but rather recognizing that anything that helps them also helps us....

There may be outlying factors that benefit us in the long-term. But the silver-lining is far from "the best thing that could happen for us..."

There are plenty of soccer fans in this country, and its now one of the largest participant sports among kids. With TFC, a National Soccer Stadium and just hosting a major international tournament, we can naturally let it grow so those fans support the soccer that is in their own backyard.

Manutd #1
11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Cunny is a good player he played well last year, playign for the USMT is a good reward for him and it is only a friendly....it is not like altidore is lighting it up for Hull in the little playign time he is getting.

trane
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
The U.S. National team, and its positive international performances, is aptly compared to MLS; both excel on super strong athleticism, middling-to-good technique and ferocious desire, but are woefully, woefully behind European nations on how the game is read.

You can go a long way with heart and good athletes, it should be said.

Interestingly, this was basically an observation Freddie Ljunberg made in an interview about a month ago about MLS, and it applies to the national team, too.

Agreed. This is a good assessment.

jloome
11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
It's also why so many American players of late are signed and then end up sitting on the bench for six months to a year for "grooming." Once their teams get them, it becomes obvious their potential is massive but it's still just potential.

trane
11-16-2009, 12:56 PM
^ I think this is the huge block in regard to growth of the game in North American. I am not sure of the solution, but I would like to see more quality foreign coaching comming in, and it should start early on, in the players development. Starting to play under coaches, at and early age, that do not understand the game themselves is problematic.

Shakes McQueen
11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Academies will be the key to making the game better over here. And scouting kids at incredibly young ages, to groom them for success.

I recall reading in a Canadian soccer mag (Soccer 360 maybe?) about some Canadian kid from BC that was like 12-13 years old, and got signed by Barcelona. Get them into the system before they develop poor habits, and surround them with proper coaches, and the American/Canadian teams could be internationally competitive within a generation.

Of course, all of that requires money.

- Scott

keem-o-sabi
11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
haha, Cunny just scored for the US to make it 1-nil to the yanks against the Danes

Shaughno
11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Good for him. :lol:

ACSertL
11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
He's got the only goal against Denmark as it stands right now.

Beat me to it :lol:

ensco
11-18-2009, 03:31 PM
It's on wiki already