PDA

View Full Version : Preki Out as Chivas USA Boss: Report

King Jeff
11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Didn't notice a thread on this already.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/11/10/1617246/source-preki-out-martin-vasquez-to-coach-chivas-usa

Source: Preki Out, Martin Vasquez To Coach Chivas USA

Current coach Preki may join Bob Bradley with the USA national team, now that assistant John Hackworth has joined Peter Nowak in Philadelphia.

Forget the Nats, come to TFC.

Roogsy
11-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Wha???

Fo'sho...bring him here.

Nodoubtguy
11-10-2009, 05:42 PM
still holding out for Nicol!!!

VPjr
11-10-2009, 05:43 PM
from what I hear, there are 3 names on the short list (Preki, Clarke, Spencer)

Whoop
11-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Preki sounds more like a hard ass, which is kind of what is needed at TFC.

Nodoubtguy
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM

If those are the choices.....Preki for sure

Damien
11-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm good with Spencer actually.

TFCtoMUFC
11-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Doesn't Preki not like Guevara? If I remember correctly that why he left Chivas. So if we take on Preki than Guevara is out for sure (he may be out anyway). I like Preki, make it happen Mo!

Nodoubtguy
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Doesn't Preki not like Guevara? If I remember correctly that why he left Chivas. So if we take on Preki than Guevara is out for sure (he may be out anyway). I like Preki, make it happen Mo!

While I do like Amado, if its a choice between a top MLS coach and Guevara who probably only has 1 year left in him, the choice is easy

ag futbol
11-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I'd be happy with any of those.

Is there a reason why john limniatis' name has never come up for any coaching jobs? (not that i want him for TFC). He got a pretty crappy Impact team to punch way above their weight with some very good tactics (until that last game yee....)

TFC247
11-10-2009, 06:14 PM
from what I hear, there are 3 names on the short list (Preki, Clarke, Spencer)Colin Clarke? I know time heals alot of things, but wow. I guess making some noise in CCL won him another shot? Maybe it won't matter as long as if he wins, but just wait till things get a little dodgy. That bunker ball will put fans out to crucify him faster than you can say Chris Cummins.

denime
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Preki sounds more like a hard ass, which is kind of what is needed at TFC.

So True, bring Preki to clean the house properly!!

Pookie
11-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Reading his bio, Preki has a fairly extensive list of accomplishments as a player.

As a coach, he has just 3 years under his belt and a MLS Coach of the Year award in 2007. That said, he never missed the playoffs.

He might be the type of guy that Mo would want. Bring in someone too experienced and you might ignite a power struggle. Bring in someone relatively inexperienced as a coach and Mo might feel he could still influence him.

Canary Canuck
11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
No surprise they've hired a mexican as a coach. I'm just surprised it wasn't Claudio Suarez that got the job

anto7
11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Would have expected to see Tom Soehen on that list. Not saying i would necessarily want him but think he should be a candidate, it's not like we have unlimited options.

Roogsy
11-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I believe Soehn is staying with DC in a front office position.

zeelaw
11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
if bradley doesnt want him... get on it mo

anto7
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I believe Soehn is staying with DC in a front office position.
Thanks, did not know that.
In other news, Kansas City announced the hiring of Peter Vermes as the new full time head coach. He was the interim coach this season

gtaguy
11-10-2009, 07:55 PM
heres a question.. Is MLSE aka MOJO going to let any coach dictate and decide his own fate or will he be a puppet to MO JO's decision making.. I don't believe we can acquire a good coach until the prick in the front office lets go of some power... Finding a good coach is easy .. Finding a coach that will not allow MOJO meddling is another story...

torfchamilton
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I was thinking during the LA/Chivas game and was hoping that Chivas would lose so TFC could speak to Preki. I may be wrong but was thinking that Mo and Preki crossed paths at KC. Get'er done Mo. We need a different styled coach here. The British coach and style is not working.

torfchamilton
11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Also remembered that they were at Everton together as well. This may happen.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2009, 08:41 PM

yeah anyone of those would be decent, preki being first and Spencer being second. hopes have been somewhat raised, i really hope Preki sets the team together and tells Mo to sod off when he oversteps his boundries

MUFC_Niagara
11-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Wha???

Fo'sho...bring him here.

I agree. Preki has MLS experience, he got the results at Chivas, why not give him a go here?:scarf:

MUFC_Niagara
11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I was thinking during the LA/Chivas game and was hoping that Chivas would lose so TFC could speak to Preki. I may be wrong but was thinking that Mo and Preki crossed paths at KC. Get'er done Mo. We need a different styled coach here. The British coach and style is not working.

I don't that's it at all, I think we just don't have the right players.

wzhxvy
11-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I want Preki here because I assume he will take no shit from MO...and if another coach quits then MO is officially done and MLSE cant hide anymore...and MO will make sure he doesnt piss him off or stand in his way because cant afford having another coach bail on him...so I would be good with Preki

billyfly
11-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Whoever, just coach me a winner!

torfchamilton
11-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't that's it at all, I think we just don't have the right players.
I agree that we don't have the right players, but we have also played the same system/style for 3 years with no success. The only time it worked and I hate to say it , but was the Dichio/Cunningham partnership when Cunny first came. We need a facelift again and I think with Preki that could happen , not sure of Mo though. Why would we need Mo with good coach/manager?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I want Preki here because I assume he will take no shit from MO...and if another coach quits then MO is officially done and MLSE cant hide anymore...and MO will make sure he doesnt piss him off or stand in his way because cant afford having another coach bail on him...so I would be good with Preki

God willing this is what will happen (ie Preki whips the team into shape and Mo gets the players we need, i dont believe this will happen or is fired)

We need a facelift again and I think with Preki that could happen , not sure of Mo though. Why would we need Mo with good coach/manager?

Supposedly he will still be the manager who acquires the players Preki (or whoever) demands we need but if he fails to do so, then yes, youre correct, why would we need Mo (i dont believe we need him right now, however it doesnt look as if we have a decent enough replacement)

koryo
11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't object to Preki at all.

Nodoubtguy
11-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Not that I have anything against Preki because he's my first choice from that list, but is someone who has never taken a team past the first playoff round what were looking for?

Roogsy
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
The other option is a small list Sal and 3 of them are currently employed at the moment with *shock* contending teams. Sigi, Arena and Kinnear...

Pookie
11-11-2009, 09:41 AM
^ Preki has 3 years coaching experience (Serbian)

Spencer has 0 years as head coach, 4 years as assistant (Scottish)

Clarke has 7 years experience as a head coach, including Puero Rico's national team (Irish)

---

A betting man might figure Mo, if he is stuck in micro-managing mode, would take the Scottish lad with no head coaching experience.

v00d00daddy
11-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I was shocked to hear Mo say, during This is Football, that the next coach has to take on all of the assistants.

He said that the new guy would have to be okay with keeping the staff that is in place (Daso, Dichio, Toshack) because they're "really good young coaches".

I would imagine that the list of suitors is going to be much shorter than Mo believes when these guys find out that they will have no say in who their staff is made up of.

I think Mo is just bringing in a yes man...or at least that's what he hopes.

Seriously..would you want to come into a head coaching job where there are several other coaches already in place? Coaches that already have relationships with the players. That's a shitty situation if you ask me.

I hope its Preki. I hope Preki instills a my way or the highway and I hope a bunch of people take the highway. If that makes any sense. lol

Roogsy
11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Seriously...if they don't even have a say about their coaches, what makes an incoming coach think he would have a say with regards to players?

Dear lord, why does this organization not realize that this structure does not work? We are severely curtailing our options at the coaching position because we've chosen to go with some hair-brained idea of a soccer GM with carte blance authority.

v00d00daddy
11-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Seriously...if they don't even have a say about their coaches, what makes an incoming coach think he would have a say with regards to players?

Dear lord, why does this organization not realize that this structure does not work? We are severely curtailing our options at the coaching position because we've chosen to go with some hair-brained idea of a soccer GM with carte blance authority.

I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

ManUtd4ever
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
^^ It may be unprecedented, but if the incumbent assistant coaches buy into the new coach's system, what difference would it make to the team's chances of being successful? The alternative is that a new coach comes in and cleans house and then people start bitching that a TFC legend and a former national team player were discarded without being given a fair chance...

Roogsy
11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
^^ It may be unprecedented, but if the incumbent assistant coaches buy into the new coach's system, what difference would it make to the team's chances of being successful? The alternative is that a new coach comes in and cleans house and then people start bitching that a TFC legend and a former national team player were discarded without being given a fair chance...

Assistant coaches work with the head coaches. Professional head coaches expect to be able to choose their assistants. If an assistant coach is dictated to a professional coach, more than likely it goes on the "contra" side of the equation when evaluating if that head coach wants the job.

That would mean top quality coaches would pass on the opportunity because they would perceive a lack of control. They expect to pick their own coaches. The only ones that don't expect it are the ones that a hard-up for the coaching job to begin with and that is not what we want.

Do you think Bruce Arena would put up with a condition like that? Sigi Schmid?

New coaches come in and clean house. That's the way successful franchises are run. Anything in the middle and we're just going to get more of the same mediocrity we've had for 3 years.

So yes, it does affect the team's chances of improving. Because this kind of condition is a deal-breaker when a capable coach is considering a position. And if we miss out on a capable coach and have to settle for something less because of these conditions, then it is the team and the fans that suffer.

FYI...a head coach may in fact choose to keep the current assistants. But it is up to HIM to choose to do that, not the "director". A new coach doesn't mean the assistants are definitely gone. If they do "buy in to" his system, they may keep their jobs. But again, it's HIS decision, not Mos. That's the way it should work. Apparently that's not the way TFC has chosen to run this search for a coach. Brilliant.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
i think he said it partly because its what some of the supporters wanted to hear.
Would you like to see Dichio or Daso out on the curb?
On the same hand, i totally agree with what youre saying.
We are damned with Mo at the helm.

billyfly
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Inheriting coaches doesn't mean you can't fire them after a while.

v00d00daddy
11-11-2009, 10:47 AM

What's more important? TFC improving and playing up to their potential or making sure that Dichio and Daso are taken care of?

Keep the current coaching staff in the organization in another capacity but let the new coach bring in whoever he wants to help him implement his philosophy.

Also keep in mind that Daso, Toshack, and Dichio are all Mo choices. Men that are indebted to Mo for their jobs. How many "Mo men" do you think it takes to surround a new coach before he figures out that Mo is the one calling the shots?

Roogsy
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Danny just wants to coach. The truth is, Danny should have put in charge of developing the kids (which I think he would be GREAT at) and scouting. In fact, they can still do that.

The point is, we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage by placing unecessary conditions in front of incoming coaches.

Someone like Preki may simply say "ok...I'll just stay with the national team instead..." and who could blame him? Let's see....dysfunctional team on the one hand vs the chance to go with your country's team to the World Cup. Hmmm...tough decision.

Doesn't anyone think we need to make this job MORE attractive as opposed to LESS attractive??? :noidea:

rocker
11-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Sigi Schmidt accepted the USL Sounders coach and goalkeeper coach being on his staff. And the USL coach had actually applied for the job Sigi got.. awkward? guess not!

What's the big deal?

Mo said the new coach could bring in an assistant. In addition to accepting the USL Sounders coaches, Sigi brought in his own son and Ezra Hendrickson. That worked out.

Anyhow, with Cummins gone this team needs another assistant coach. So the new guy can bring in his right hand man. Simple.

Beach_Red
11-11-2009, 11:07 AM
FYI...a head coach may in fact choose to keep the current assistants. But it is up to HIM to choose to do that, not the "director". A new coach doesn't mean the assistants are definitely gone. If they do "buy in to" his system, they may keep their jobs. But again, it's HIS decision, not Mos. That's the way it should work. Apparently that's not the way TFC has chosen to run this search for a coach. Brilliant.

It's funny you use the term director. I've worked on a couple of movies where the director was replaced during filming. Usually the director has a big say in casting and picking the director of photography and other key personel. But some directors are good at stepping in and working with the people already there. The really good ones get information from the people who are already there that helps moving forward.

It's possible that the assistants who've already worked with the players who will be here next year could be a valuable resource for the new coach. It depends on the individuals.

Of course, as you say, the new coach should decide that. Probably what's going on is that these coaches have clauses in their contracts that pay them something if they're let go before the end of the contract and MLSE doesn't want to pay them AND new assistants (that's happened with the hockey team in the past, having more than one coach on the payroll an they don't like it).

Ossington Mental Youth
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
all some very good points and food for thought

Hitcho
11-11-2009, 02:09 PM
You know, I almost want this whole ridiculous approach Mo is taking to fail spectactularly so that A) he gets canned next season when we fail to make the play offs and B) MLSE might actually take their heads out of their asses and start looking at running this team like SS contenders and not a cash cow that dangles things in front of its fans whenever they need appeasing.

There is a world of difference between professionally running an outfit in a way that is designed exclusively to achieve results, and showboating around in a half assed way because you're in it for the money and if you make enough money then hey, probably things are going ok ont he pitch too. Compare the way Arsenal/Man Utd/Chelsea are run to the way Liverpool is run.

The problem is, if Mo screws up again next season then there will be some massive repercussions. De Ro and De Guz will want out, our good young players will be angling for moves to other teams where they might actually win something and there will some level of fan exodus, and all of those things would be a hammer blow to this young club.

So, let's hope Mo gets it rigth and doesn't fuck up the coaching appointment over conditions like "you must keep Daso and Tosh" or "I pick the transfer targets, you get to make suggestions" or "You've got to play these guys a lot" or whatever else has been suggested.

As for Danny, if the new head coach doesn't want him as an assistant then I'm sure he'll remain with the youth players and in his ambassador role. No way is he getting canned, especially after the outrage at all the BS surrounding his "early retirement".

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
No big difference between Nicol and Preki..both cant win trophies, if and the supporters here want TFC to win trophies then these two managers are NOt
wanted at TFC.

Parkdale
11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
No big difference between Nicol and Preki..both cant win trophies,

NERevs won the US Open cup in 2007 and the Superliga in 2008.

try doing some research before making statements like that.

mastermixer
11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
No big difference between Nicol and Preki..both cant win trophies, if and the supporters here want TFC to win trophies then these two managers are NOt
wanted at TFC.

Yeah but when manager Mo comes out and says he wants someone with MLS experience these are really the only available options right now. :rolleyes:

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
NERevs won the US Open cup in 2007 and the Superliga in 2008.

try doing some research before making statements like that.

opps should have said league trophies.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah but when manager Mo comes out and says he wants someone with MLS experience these are really the only available options right now. :rolleyes:

there is no guarentee a MLS manager will make the team any better then is is now? we need better quality players...Let Mo manger the club next season if the right manger can not be found.

Parkdale
11-11-2009, 03:08 PM
we need better quality players...Let Mo manger the club next season if the right manger can not be found.

are you kidding? Do you not remember the first season? Mo should be nowhere near the sidelines (or the players for that matter). Keep him in his office, playing the trades, and keep him away from the onfield product.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd be a little let down with Spencer seeing as he has no head coaching experience, particularly in light of TFC recent experience with a coach in first head coaching job.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-11-2009, 04:27 PM
are you kidding? Do you not remember the first season? Mo should be nowhere near the sidelines (or the players for that matter). Keep him in his office, playing the trades, and keep him away from the onfield product.

but the team is better then the first year team...or suppose to be..?
the fans gave MO, JC for that matter a too hard of a time managing TFC,
calling for heads even after one loss.. TFC needs a manager to be around for a while before the hecklers start calling for heads.

Parkdale
11-11-2009, 04:33 PM
but the team is better then the first year team...or suppose to be..?
the fans gave MO, JC for that matter a too hard of a time managing TFC,
calling for heads even after one loss...

no.... Mo had a shit season, and it barely improved at all in the second one (which was also shit).

it's not a matter of calling for heads after one loss.

DOMIN8R
11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Preki leaves Chivas by mutual agreement

Head coach's tenure was most successful in club's history

http://chivas.usa.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091112&content_id=7659112&vkey=news_cdc&fext=.jsp&team=t120

jloome
11-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I think the obvious question will become: if Mo can't get either Preki or John Spencer, both of whom he's known for years, on board, then is the alleged personality issue valid, and who's gonna work for the guy.

Seriously, if we don't have a new coach by the end of the year, we have serious problems. The combine doesn't start until February, but free agent at the end of the euro season are approachable with just six months on their deal, meaning most contracts will start being offered in mid-december and early january.

ag futbol
11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
When you’re hiring these guys, you are more or less buying into a system with multiple strings attached. I find it hard to believe that all the coaches we have on staff right now are worth our time. What we saw on the field last year wasn’t just a product of the head coaches.

I few of the old guys seems reasonable, but retaining everybody at the expense of bringing in the staffers associated with a reputable, proven coach is dumb.

rocker
11-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Steve Goff on Preki:

Chivas was pleased with his soccer knowledge and passion, but not so thrilled about his clubhouse management and interaction with players.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/11/preki_out_mls_ticket_update.html

Preki seems like a hothead. I guess it works (see his successful record).
Steve Nicol is passionate too but seems to have great relationships with players.

Hitcho
11-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Nicol will get respect for his playing career (it doesn't get much bigger than his time at Liverpool) and his success as an MLS coach (I don't give a crap about all the lost MLS Cup finals, the bottom line is he made NER a powerhouse over a number of years). he'd get the respect of our dressing room, no doubt.

We have an appealing set up now - great pitch, SSS with no pointy ball lines and logos vomitted all over it, noisy and passionate full house crowd every week, a DP in his prime in the centre of the pitch, some great players with MLS experience and some great rookies. Plus the ability to finish shaping the squad and putting your own stamp on it without massive changes throughout. MLSE is also a rich owner able to pay big wages if they believe in the coach, and I think the grass investment shows they will do that.

All that's missing is the assurance of non-interference from, and the ability to get on and work with, our GM. How big an issue that is will come to light shortly because if everyone refuses to sign on, then it'll be pretty obvious why. And that will be sweet in a way, because Mo will have cooked his own goose and drowned in his own hole full of shit he created. (Ok, that's a tad harsh, but it would be fair comment in the circumstances!).

Otherwise, bring on a great coach and watch us fly!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Beach_Red
11-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Nicol will get respect for his playing career (it doesn't get much bigger than his time at Liverpool) and his success as an MLS coach (I don't give a crap about all the lost MLS Cup finals, the bottom line is he made NER a powerhouse over a number of years). he'd get the respect of our dressing room, no doubt.

We have an appealing set up now - great pitch, SSS with no pointy ball lines and logos vomitted all over it, noisy and passionate full house crowd every week, a DP in his prime in the centre of the pitch, some great players with MLS experience and some great rookies. Plus the ability to finish shaping the squad and putting your own stamp on it without massive changes throughout. MLSE is also a rich owner able to pay big wages if they believe in the coach, and I think the grass investment shows they will do that.

All that's missing is the assurance of non-interference from, and the ability to get on and work with, our GM. How big an issue that is will come to light shortly because if everyone refuses to sign on, then it'll be pretty obvious why. And that will be sweet in a way, because Mo will have cooked his own goose and drowned in his own hole full of shit he created. (Ok, that's a tad harsh, but it would be fair comment in the circumstances!).

Otherwise, bring on a great coach and watch us fly!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

That's a big if. There's also length of contract offered.

Sure, the positives you mention are all there, but ownership is still an issue.

TFCRegina
11-14-2009, 11:17 AM
wanted at TFC.

Aside from the fact one of them has one trophies:

Both coaches have been able to take teams on shoestring budgets and get them into the playoffs. Give them TFC that spends at the cap and has a DP and who knows what magic they can create?

Super
11-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Let us also not forget that this league is still too young for there to be a whole host of coaches available with bag-loads of trophies on their resumes. The play-offs is often a random crap-shoot anyway - to me it's more important that Preki has taken Chivas to the play-offs 3 times in a row. That's what we need at TFC!

Torontotonto
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Just heard a rumour that Preki will be coming to TFC ?

Redcoe15
11-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Just heard a rumour that Preki will be coming to TFC ?
A thread's already started for it.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18549