PDA

View Full Version : Leafs at BMO

deltox
11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
from twitter

fan590 The FAN's Zack Cooper reports Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke has pitched the idea of an outdoor game at BMO field to commissioner Gary Bettman.
17 minutes ago from web

Darlofletch
11-10-2009, 11:43 AM
That'd be pretty cool, surely it's a bit too small though, they wouldn't get that many extra people than at the acc.

Darlofletch
11-10-2009, 11:44 AM
and now for my usual cynical post.

wow, think how much they'll charge for tickets to that!

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
as long as it doesn't mess up our wonderful natural grass - it's of very little concern to me.
It would be during the winter months, so it's not really going to effect TFC in anyway. (that I can see)

dclaro
11-10-2009, 11:46 AM

seeing as its roughly same size as the ACC, its a once in a life time type game, and leafs should be better as we continue rebuilding... im guessing a lot more

MartinUtd
11-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Cool idea.. but it'd be better suited at Ivor Wynne. Twice as many people and they'd get to market the team out of town to a hockey starved market (especially so given the Balsillie farce)

billyfly
11-10-2009, 11:48 AM
It won't happen before BMO expansion. It all ties in together!

drewski
11-10-2009, 11:48 AM

they'd have to simply cause of the high cost of setup and the relatively small increase in attendance

I'd think it would make more sense to play at SkyDome

Fort York Redcoat
11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
No thanks. I think they can think of better places to market their "heritage series".

Parkdale
seeing as its roughly same size as the ACC,

yeah, BMO is just a hint bigger than the ACC in Hockey mode (Raps have more seats because of the smaller court).

I just hope that the regular hockey fans can get in to see it, not just the platinum listers from the ACC

canadian_bhoy
It'd be awesome.

werewolf
11-10-2009, 11:51 AM
It won't happen before BMO expansion. It all ties in together!

if this proposed game wasn't included in season tickets, and sold as single game tickets + the boxes, it could pay a large sum into expansion.

Darlofletch
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
No thanks. I think they can think of better places to market their "heritage series".

yeah, unless they start doing multiple winter classics a year, bmo doesn't have the size or history to make this a special event, so i can't see the NHL going for it.

Jay P
11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
again$t modern winter classics

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
and just thinking of the layout....

unless you're in the 5th row and up, you'd just be seeing the back of the boards.

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
yeah, unless they start doing multiple winter classics a year, bmo doesn't have the size or history to make this a special event, so i can't see the NHL going for it.

but the Canadian National Exhibition certainly does. The Royal Winter Fair does too.

again$t modern winter classics

LOLZ!

jabbronies
11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
It'd be awesome.

Ya i think it would be cool.

The heritage classic is about playing games in an outdoor rink the way it was done back in the day. It would be an intimate game, but they can really do it up to make it feel like an old time outdoor rink. - less wasted space like what you saw in past years.

If I were MLSE, I'd sell tickets to TFC fans first :canada:
That'll be an NHL game you won't see in this city ever again! lol.

dclaro
11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Ya i think it would be cool.

The heritage classic is about playing games in an outdoor rink the way it was done back in the day. It would be an intimate game, but they can really do it up to make it feel like an old time outdoor rink. - less wasted space like what you saw in past years.

If I were MLSE, I'd sell tickets to TFC fans first :canada:
That'll be an NHL game you won't see in this city ever again! lol.
Sing the dichio chant 3 min 13 s into the 2nd period LOL

Blizzard
11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
they'd have to simply cause of the high cost of setup and the relatively small increase in attendance

I'd think it would make more sense to play at SkyDome

No, it needs to be open air. SkyDome is sealed up for the winter as it doesn't have the proper infrastructure to be a true outdoor, year-round stadium.

That's the key to in anyway. Outdoors! So what if it's a small place like BMO. The key thing is that the game is played outdoors .... and if they have any brains at all, they'll play it at night!!!

Those day games are kind of neat but imagine playing it with the Toronto Skyline all lit up in the background and with a nice moon hovering over the setting.

That's what the NHL Classic should be all about!

stugautz
11-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Zero chance the average Platinum/Gold person in the stands (I refuse to call them fans) survives this game.

C.Ronaldo
11-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Id go

and MLSE would figure out away to increase seating.

the north stands would be there for sure. this would be cool to go to.

Fort York Redcoat
11-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I would laugh my arse off if they chose Ottawa as our heretige "rivals".

Kevvv
11-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Are the washrooms heated? How would they host 20,000 people if it's -20 outside and the water is frozen?

deltox
11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
well this is MLSE.

if it were approved then they could get upgraded within a weekend

SweetOwnGoal
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Are the washrooms heated? How would they host 20,000 people if it's -20 outside and the water is frozen?

Yes, the washrooms have heat blasted into them. Do you not remember April?

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
As long as they don't try and turn the place blue, even for a day, and as long as the grass isn't impeded in any way, then this would be kind of cool (subject to the inevitable money grubbing that MLSE would indulge in).

Although, an elevated stadium by the lake in an exposed area in jan/feb? If the weather botes hard on game day even the hardiest Canadian hockey fan is going to feel jack (frost, not our prez) nibbling at their dainty bits.

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Actually, this is a very good point. At the relocation last night we were told that BMO was in "winter mode" which meant no running water and therefore no toilets.

Game over.

drewski
11-10-2009, 12:47 PM
No, it needs to be open air. SkyDome is sealed up for the winter as it doesn't have the proper infrastructure to be a true outdoor, year-round stadium.

That's the key to in anyway. Outdoors! So what if it's a small place like BMO. The key thing is that the game is played outdoors .... and if they have any brains at all, they'll play it at night!!!

Those day games are kind of neat but imagine playing it with the Toronto Skyline all lit up in the background and with a nice moon hovering over the setting.

That's what the NHL Classic should be all about!

ahh, didn't realize it was sealed up in the winter

billyfly
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I would laugh my arse off if they chose Ottawa as our heretige "rivals".

No it will be the new cross-town rivals. The Woodbridge "yet to be named".

Lucky Strike
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=297857

A lengthier bit about the story. Someone else said it, as long as the grass installation isn't impeded then go for it. It would be neat to have footballing chants for hockey: When the Leafs go marching in, Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons les Leafs allez!, sing Dichio 23:13 anyway, etc.

Jay P
11-10-2009, 01:41 PM
No it will be the new cross-town rivals. The Woodbridge "dood budz".

fixed

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 02:17 PM

A lengthier bit about the story. Someone else said it, as long as the grass installation isn't impeded then go for it. It would be neat to have footballing chants for hockey: When the Leafs go marching in, Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons les Leafs allez!, sing Dichio 23:13 anyway, etc.

Agree entirely, but:

1) no running water (according to relcoation gyus last night) means no toilets means no game

2) TFC fans will not get any kind of priority on tickets, it will be all leafs fans, so sadly no songs and chants

3) tickets will be sky high in terms of pricing and largely sucked up by corporate groups for the novelty value as a result (this one is just a guess based on past MLSE behaviour)

drewski
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
BMO No place for outdoor game

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/unwritten-rules/bmo-field-no-place-for-outdoor-game/article1358065/

A lengthier bit about the story. Someone else said it, as long as the grass installation isn't impeded then go for it.

it wouldn't be this winter, these are usually arranged a year in advance, so it wouldn't interfere with grass install

GlenM
11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
as long as it doesn't mess up our wonderful natural grass - it's of very little concern to me.
It would be during the winter months, so it's not really going to effect TFC in anyway. (that I can see)

They may pour a concrete slab over on top of our grass just for this one game (you know to comply with others and not our demands) 'scarcasm'

But it's an idea...

Imagine 112 streamers.............

Faceoffs in the South end corners, who are ya?

Tivo's.........

Crap, we may even show the Leafs fans how it's done.

LOL :)

GlenM

ensco
11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Not saying it won't happen, but Canadian teams are not a priority for the league in these games.

The NHL's principal interest in this is US television (it's counter programming against the relatively weak early bowl games on New Years Day).

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Glen - sounds like fun but no way will we see a TFC crowd at a one off Leafs game, it will be all Leaf fans and therefore no atmosphere. It's the fans that make the atmosphere, not the ground itself!

Kevvv
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Yes, the washrooms have heat blasted into them. Do you not remember April?

I don't even remember mid-October. I mentioned because of:

At the relocation last night we were told that BMO was in "winter mode" which meant no running water and therefore no toilets.

No doubt, for a one-off event they could bring everything back to working mode.

boban
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
This is a joke. I just read the TSN article. "festival seating on the field".
WTF??! They are going to sell tickets at field level 50-100 feet back. All you see are the boards. And they will charge $200 for that I bet.
Give me a break.

jabbronies
11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
This is a joke. I just read the TSN article. "festival seating on the field".
WTF??! They are going to sell tickets at field level 50-100 feet back. All you see are the boards. And they will charge $200 for that I bet.
Give me a break.

Festival seating doesn't mean there will be seats on the floor level. It doesn't mention anything in the article about putting seats 50-100 Ft back. You are just creating histaria where there isn't any.

I think it's more like concert style festival seating where people will have access to an area (front of the stage) and they can move up as close as they can. More like a standing room only but right at ice level. So if they want 25000 people to attend, really they will have about 4000-5000 people standing around the rink itself. unless they add the north stand then maybe it'll be less.

My main concern is who will they play? i reallly hope it's not the fucking senators...there's no classic there.

JonO
11-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Actually, if I remember the discussion from the beginning of the season - the plumbing in the stadium itself is not "winterized". Given the cold winter we had, there was some concern that we would not be able to have running water for the home opener.

Kevvv
11-10-2009, 04:56 PM
The water in the WC behind 223/224 never did warm up.

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 05:00 PM

in january/february? i'm not so sure. and see JonO's post above. if they cannot guarantee it for the home opener in March then how can they do so for a game in mid winter?

deltox
11-10-2009, 05:43 PM
so future Concacaf games for TFC HAVE to be played at the rogers centre instead of BMO if the game is in FEB!

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 05:59 PM
^ that's an interesting point. i guess so. although sheer volume of ticket sales may drive that decision anyway!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
min $200/ticket no thanks

boban
11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Festival seating doesn't mean there will be seats on the floor level. It doesn't mention anything in the article about putting seats 50-100 Ft back. You are just creating histaria where there isn't any.

I think it's more like concert style festival seating where people will have access to an area (front of the stage) and they can move up as close as they can. More like a standing room only but right at ice level. So if they want 25000 people to attend, really they will have about 4000-5000 people standing around the rink itself. unless they add the north stand then maybe it'll be less.

My main concern is who will they play? i reallly hope it's not the fucking senators...there's no classic there.
Do you know what a festival or festival seating even is?
They would increase capacity by about 5,000. A stand on the north end would not come even close to that number.
Seats would be place around the rink on field level. And not all would be close. A good number would be 50-100 ft back.

Inklink
11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
BMO's absolutely not the right place to do it. Unless they're boosting seating by another 20k. In one of the if not the best hockey market in the world, they shouldn't settle with 21k seats. It should be done @ Rogers Centre. But I know there's the issue with the roof not retracting in winter and all that.

Maybe Leafs vs Habs a the Big O?

It'd just be ACC without a roof, otherwise (with ~20k crowd).

billyfly
11-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Maybe the marketing idea is "intimacy". Outdoor game for the sake of outdoor game.

billyfly
11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
The opponent will be Vancouver. You heard it here first.

TFCtoMUFC
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM

A team the leafs can beat is classic. Remember the good old days when they had Lalime and that lisp dude (Bryan Murray).

Juanito
11-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Guys, it won't happen. Bettman is interested in the US ratings, and the Leafs are not a big enough draw State-side (sorry to burst your bubble Leaf Nation).

The Heritage Classic will go to Yankee Stadium, Denver, Minnesota, and Detroit before they consider going to a rinkie-dink, 20 000-seater, to a stadium no American knows or cares about to watch a Canadian team.

It's all about the bling-bling with Gary B.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2009, 11:57 PM

yep exactly

Cashcleaner
11-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Leafs playing at BMO Field doesn't really make a lot of sense unless there's a way to bring in a lot more seats. I mean, let's look at the attendance numbers for previous games:

Edmonton v Montreal at Commonwealth Stadium - 57,000+
Buffalo v Pittsburgh at Ralph Wilson Stadium - 71,000+
Chicago v Detroit at Wrigley Field - 40,000+

Temporary seating at BMO Field might be able to bring in 5,000 more seats (and that's probably a very high estimate), so we'd be left with an event that would bring in about 25,000 or so - a vastly smaller figure than the average attendance so far for the Winter Classic.

Ivor Wynne in Hamilton actually sounds like the only reasonable location I can think of if the Rogers Centre is unavailable, but how would that look if the Leafs had to take the game so far out of town to find a suitable venue?

boban
11-11-2009, 12:29 AM
^^ I agree with you but the Leafs will not pay rent anywhere.

Cashcleaner
11-11-2009, 12:51 AM

That's the only reason why I think they would actually contemplate BMO Field for an outdoor game. They just wouldn't have to pay anyone else for use of the facility.

jaahuuu
11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
But would they Leafs really be paying any rent? When the game was at the Ralph, the league basically bought a home game from Buffalo. If I'm remembering this right the Sabres didn't have to pay any of the operating costs for holding the game, and they were paid by the league what they would have made in an average home game at HSBCArena. The NHL got the rest of the profit from the game.

deltox
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
thats correct. the winter classics (the heritage classic was just the first game in EDM) are controlled and paid by the league

Menelaos
11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
F*** the leafs.
Leave the field alone.

Yet another cash grab by them.

BMO was RED before, is RED now and should always be RED.

billyfly
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Maybe the marketing idea is "intimacy". Outdoor game for the sake of outdoor game.

I know its funny that I am quoting myself but Richard Peddie said as much in his interview. Leafs are looking at doing something "different" from the previous "classics".

Intimacy in the setting but there will be a big production outside BMO in the surrounding CNE buidlings (Ricoh, Automotive, tents, etc...)

boban
11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I know its funny that I am quoting myself but Richard Peddie said as much in his interview. Leafs are looking at doing something "different" from the previous "classics".

Intimacy in the setting but there will be a big production outside BMO in the surrounding CNE buidlings (Ricoh, Automotive, tents, etc...)
You believe that spin?
They are only going there because they have a controlling interest in the operating of the stadium. They will spin anything to make it sound palatable to the average joe. He also did mention the place has facilities to stage such an event. What I found appalling was that he specifically mentioned washrooms. I almost died laughing when I heard that.
Like the Skydome doesn't have enough toilets??!! Pleeaasse!!!

billyfly
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I thought the Skydome was a big NO b/c of technical issues (roof and such) or did someone address that in this thread (?)

I guess I do believe that spin lol...

BFin
11-11-2009, 12:31 PM
You believe that spin?
They are only going there because they have a controlling interest in the operating of the stadium. They will spin anything to make it sound palatable to the average joe. He also did mention the place has facilities to stage such an event. What I found appalling was that he specifically mentioned washrooms. I almost died laughing when I heard that.
Like the Skydome doesn't have enough toilets??!! Pleeaasse!!!
The Rogers Centre is not an outdoor facility...outdoor winter classic for the loss.
Secondly, if the washrooms manage to fit us all in during a gameday for TFC, I fail to see how they couldn't at a Leafs game in the same venue. There are many more breaks in the action, and not everyone rushes to the bathroom because they have been pounding back beers in the middle of the summer. Adding in an additional 2000-5000 temporary seats will not throw the order of BMO washrooms completely out of whack.
Thirdly, what does paying rent have to do with anything? MLSE is trying to stage an outdoor game in the city in which the team they want to be the home team plays. Looking at the viable options within the downtown core, they must just be out to save that $50k to rent the facility. Those money hungry bastards!!!! It has nothing to do with the fact that there is only one reasonable spot where this game could be held, and still uphold the original ideals of this event.

Solid points of proof for the argument though.