11-10-2009, 08:20 AM
This was published in Metro yesterday as a full page ad:

THIS IS A MESSAGE

To those who sang, chanted and carried the banners,
To those that wear our scarf in June, August, and July,
To those that know what to do at 23:13,
To those that felt each tackle, each strike and each save,
To those that counted every second of added time,
and to those that believed that miracles can happen in Montreal.

To our supporters - This is a thank you

For your support,
For helping us write history,
For building our culture,
For creating a tradition,
For your hope for next season and beyond,
And for helping us redefine football in North America,
Without you, we wouldn't be Toronto FC.
See you in 2010.Apart from the bad grammar (should be "who" instead of "that"), it's not a bad sentiment to say "thank-you." However, with the team tanking at the end of the regular season, some will not feel too happy about focusing yet again on the "fans" instead of the (failing) team. If we do well next year, sentiments like this would undoubtedly be appreciated.

The ad was accompanied by a picture of 112 with the big drum.

MUFC_Niagara
11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Well, i'll say it's a nice setiment but this thread will be over run in 2 hours with people taking pop shots at the ad and MLSE.....AND THE CONSPIRACY!

Good job MLSE, and thank you.

Darlofletch
11-10-2009, 08:27 AM
to those who.....keep paying extra, and don't think of asking us to kick scalpers out of the section you enable us to promote.

Fort York Redcoat
11-10-2009, 08:28 AM
-Your welcome.

Great sentiment but i doubt it'll make everybody forget we want to see a better effort.

Toronto Gunner
11-10-2009, 08:32 AM
To those that continue to bitch on message boards about how evil we are when you know darn well that we're trying to deliver on everything you've been asking for and have gone as far as to meet regularly with your supporter groups but you have to understand that we're trying to run a business and it's not easy to be one of the only three profitable teams in this league, especially in today's economic climate so you should cut us some slack, we brought you DeRo and DeGuz, what more could you ask for right now? we're doing our best, it's not our fault Cummins is garbage, have you tried finding a coach mid-season to work in the MLS' BS structure with the awful referring we have? it's not easy. Well, I can see I'm running on here, so thank you I guess...

CoachGT
11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Class move and good acknowledgment of the people who go beyond being fans.

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 08:36 AM
^ hahaha.... well said.

I appreciate the effort.

Hustle
11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Like she said, Its a small thing, but its a good thing.

Nodoubtguy
11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
They didn't have to, but they did.....

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 09:03 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/mike24k/metro-page1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/mike24k/metro-page2.jpg

who's good at the internet? parkdale's good at the internet.

ManUtd4ever
11-10-2009, 09:06 AM
To those that continue to bitch on message boards about how evil we are when you know darn well that we're trying to deliver on everything you've been asking for and have gone as far as to meet regularly with your supporter groups but you have to understand that we're trying to run a business and it's not easy to be one of the only three profitable teams in this league, especially in today's economic climate so you should cut us some slack, we brought you DeRo and DeGuz, what more could you ask for right now? we're doing our best, it's not our fault Cummins is garbage, have you tried finding a coach mid-season to work in the MLS' BS structure with the awful referring we have? it's not easy. Well, I can see I'm running on here, so thank you I guess...

Amen...

Shaughno
11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
LOL that's ME playing the drum... it's not often that happens aside from road trips!

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 09:10 AM
yeah, it's a pretty old photo. anyone know the exact game?

Shaughno
11-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Last year sometime... BC is in 112, so that's saying something. :lol:

Menelaos
11-10-2009, 09:12 AM
You are welcome.

See you next year!

MUFC_Niagara
11-10-2009, 09:17 AM

Well said my friend, well said.

billyfly
11-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Al-Mo always ruins the pictures.

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 09:28 AM

where you in there somewhere? maybe if you stood on a chair or got a piggyback... you could be ruining the pictures too!

billyfly
11-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm with the donuts.

DOMIN8R
11-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Great effort by the ownership and management. But why only the Metro? Just curious. Maybe there is more to come?

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Great effort by the ownership and management. But why only the Metro? Just curious. Maybe there is more to come?

because the National Post is dead. You have to come to terms with it and move on.

DOMIN8R
11-10-2009, 09:44 AM
^^^Smartass.

KrazyKanadian
11-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Maybe the Metro gave MLSE loyalty pricing on the ad space?

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Maybe the Metro gave MLSE loyalty pricing on the ad space?

always looking for a way to knock MLSE eh?

Shaughno
11-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Zing!

KrazyKanadian
11-10-2009, 09:48 AM
always looking for a way to knock MLSE eh?

It's what I do.

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 09:50 AM
It's what I do.

As long as your glass is always half empty, you're happy. Now go get a refill.

Carts
11-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I like it... I'm glad they did it... Its always nice to hear 'thank you' for hard work (which is why I really like the fact they mentioned "those who carried the banners" etc as that is hard work by people - and the Montreal mention etc)...

I think its a nice gesture...

Carts...

FluSH
11-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I saw this on the Toronto Sun yesterday...

KrazyKanadian
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
As long as your glass is always half empty, you're happy. Now go get a refill.

There's always another pull on the tap to keep that glass full, and me happy.

boban
11-10-2009, 09:54 AM
It was in the Toronto Sun yesterday also.

DOMIN8R
11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Good. Thanks for letting us know.

Auzzy
11-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks to Toronto FC for that gesture.

End of.

Whoop
11-10-2009, 10:31 AM

Yeah he's been front and centre on TFC's ad campaign this year.

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 10:32 AM
^ AlMo likes the attention :coolgleam:

Auzzy
11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Me iz tries 2 b good for that inter webs two

Direct link to the page:

http://reader.metronews.ca/digital_launch.aspx?id=f13a149b-752b-445a-be03-2801ba9ac553&pnum=33

MartinUtd
11-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm probably being overly cynical, but the ad smacks of desperation. The FO knows 2009 has been a royal failure and they're trying to paint a rosy picture ahead of 2010.

I wonder if they paid for the ad with the Real Madrid blood money? Can't blame them for trying.

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Me iz tries 2 b good for that inter webs two

Direct link to the page:

http://reader.metronews.ca/digital_launch.aspx?id=f13a149b-752b-445a-be03-2801ba9ac553&pnum=33

nice work with that.

Auzzy
11-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm probably being overly cynical, but the ad smacks of desperation. The FO knows 2009 has been a royal failure and they're trying to paint a rosy picture ahead of 2010.

I wonder if they paid for the ad with the Real Madrid blood money? Can't blame them for trying.

No, I'm expecting a special surcharge for all SSH's next year specifically to pay for the ad. Or you can hand over your first born.

Auzzy
11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm thinking happy thoughts.

Roogsy
11-10-2009, 11:11 AM

I've stayed out of this thread because I am hoping it stays positive but I sort of agree with this.

I appreciate the sentiment, I do. I know that the staff really want this team to do well and they are probably behind this effort.

But I would prefer never to have to see this ad but for the team to be competent and management to do their jobs well. They aren't..so they have to resort to this.

This is like a husband who cheats on his wife and comes home with flowers.

This is all the more harder to swallow when they hiked prices again. Here's an idea, show real appreciation by not hiking prices at disgustingly high rates? I'd rather that than a picture in the paper with the words "thanks".

MartinUtd
11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
haha.. I see what you did there. Naughty naughty.

I do think staying positive is over rated though. In fact, I saw some woman on the daily show a few weeks back saying how cult like positive thinking resulted in the market crash on wall street.

(I'm not really going anywhere with this post, its more of a collection of random thoughts)

Roogsy
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
haha.. I see what you did there. Naughty naughty.

I do think staying positive is over rated though. In fact, I saw some woman on the daily show a few weeks back saying how cult like positive thinking resulted in the market crash on wall street.

(I'm not really going anywhere with this post, its more of a collection of random thoughts)

I saw that show!

It never dawned on me some of the points she made until she pointed them out. A lot of what she said made sense, not all of it though.

MartinUtd
11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Maybe we're on to something... and that MLSE is suffering from the same type of malfunctions that took down wall street.

"Think positive guys. I know we need defenders and strikers, but look... another midfielder!"

Darlofletch
11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I get called a cynical prick quite often and i guess i must be, because i don't really see this as anything more than an advertisement, again using the "tfc experience" rather than the team, just before they have to start trying to sell new season tickets.

If they just wanted to thank the supporters, why not send that message by email, rather than the big public gesture, that a lot of supporters who don't read the papers probably missed? And why now rather than at the end of the season?
If they really love the people in 112 that much, why stand back and let a scalper relocate 6 tickets there yesterday?

Sorry for bringing it down.

edit: reading the relocation thread again, 2 tickets in 112, 6 in the south end all together.

Roogsy
11-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I get called a cynical prick quite often and i guess i must be, because i don't really see this as anything more than an advertisement, again using the "tfc experience" rather than the team, just before they have to start trying to sell new season tickets.

If they just wanted to thank the supporters, why not send that message by email, rather than the big public gesture, that a lot of supporters who don't read the papers probably missed? And why now rather than at the end of the season?
If they really love the people in 112 that much, why stand back and let a scalper relocate 6 tickets there yesterday?

Sorry for bringing it down.

I agree.

I suppose it comes down to gestures as opposed to real action.

This is a nice gesture. It really is. However, people like gestures, but they really appreciate meaningful action.

Whoop
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree.

I suppose it comes down to gestures as opposed to real action.

This is a nice gesture. It really is. However, people like gestures, but they really appreciate meaningful action.

Bingo.

v00d00daddy
11-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I know I'm gonna come off like a dick here, and a conspiracy theorist but I find this thank you humorous and a little scary.

They should be honest and say (in a nice way of course):

"Thank you for putting up with our incompetence. Thank you for making results and football a secondary issue."

I'm afraid that the club is patting the SG's on the back to keep them quiet.

Parkdale
11-10-2009, 11:30 AM

I think this needs to be on this page too.

Sonny Cheeba
11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
i get the feeling that this is their way of saving face with supporters after Asif's article on supporting liverpool and how to support TFC.

i don't care what they have to say really. i'd rather they just play well and get shit organized rather than putting ads into newspapers. that's what it is.... an ad for the team. not a thank you to the fans.

jloome
11-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Maybe we're on to something... and that MLSE is suffering from the same type of malfunctions that took down wall street.

"Think positive guys. I know we need defenders and strikers, but look... another midfielder!"

You're just describing corporate culture, which exists in a "silo" or vacuum like many cultures. People are repeatedly promoted or recognized for good work, and they tie their own success to the strength of the larger group, which is defined by the people who promoted them.

A lot of people would be astonished if they realized just how ineffeciently and uncreatively many very successful companies are run. They find a formula that works, then stick with it; but they continue to view relatively minor successes within that framework as if they're caused by a progressive mindset, instead of an unswerving devotion to mediocrity.

Part of this is simple survival mindset; but it's easy to understand in environments where reducing perceived organizational "risk" overtakes progressive thought and logical improvements.

In it's most basic, judge it by substituting basic math for the company "product."

* A company has two, and must spend to get two more, so that it can reach its eventual goal of four.

* It does so surprisingly quickly just by adding two and two. Everyone is happy, particularly shareholders

* We're one of the "twos". MLSE is the company that spent two, to get our support. Now, we figure there's no reason, having achived "four", that we can't go after "six" or "eight."

* But the company has since found that there are many, many safe ways to produce "four."

It can add one and three! Cool!

It can subtract two from six! Hmmm, the two's might not like that, but the end result is still the company's goal! Great!

* Of course, the whole time, the company is simply reinventing four. It's not making any form of real progress.

Part of this is due to the aggressive nature of corporate advancement; for every four or five good eggs, there's one rotten bastard who'll destroy them if it provides cream for his coffee, if they slip up even a little. So they spend a lot of time trying not to be noticed, except when they have a slam dunk. And even then, if the boss is still deadset on "four", their slam dunk will be five minus one.

That's what people experience when trying to understand the inanity of a corporate culture that can't see it's limitations as easily as those who aren't connected or beholden.

Whoop
11-10-2009, 11:35 AM
i get the feeling that this is their way of saving face with supporters after Asif's article on supporting liverpool and how to support TFC.

i don't care what they have to say really. i'd rather they just play well and get shit organized rather than putting ads into newspapers. that's what it is.... an ad for the team. not a thank you to the fans.

Speak the truth Cheebs.

Speak it.

jloome
11-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I think this needs to be on this page too.

Very understanding of you Parky. It's a shame that the nature of corporate culture is that so many hardworking people end out taking the stick if one guy near the top isn't doing his job.

MUFC_Niagara
11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
So much for just saying thank you for the thank you, why do they even bother.

Beach_Red
11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Very understanding of you Parky. It's a shame that the nature of corporate culture is that so many hardworking people end out taking the stick if one guy near the top isn't doing his job.

Not near the top - the top. Like all institutions, corporations take on the personality of the leader - in this case that would be, um, Tananbaum? No, wait, he's a minority shareholder, isn't he? Which person on the board represents the Pension people, that would be, no wait, they don't even bother to vote at the meetings, it must be the bank that finances, they have seats on the board, don't they...

And there's the problem.

This is exactly why the NFL doesn't allow corporate ownership. It's why Seattle, with Paul Allen and Drew Carey can stamp their personality on the team (say what you will about Carey, the guys is very successful in an incredibly competitive field).

MartinUtd
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I've stayed out of this thread because I am hoping it stays positive but I sort of agree with this.

I appreciate the sentiment, I do. I know that the staff really want this team to do well and they are probably behind this effort.

But I would prefer never to have to see this ad but for the team to be competent and management to do their jobs well. They aren't..so they have to resort to this.

This is all the more harder to swallow when they hiked prices again. Here's an idea, show real appreciation by not hiking prices at disgustingly high rates? I'd rather that than a picture in the paper with the words "thanks".

I think I get what you're saying. So basically they've got the team, the fans and a couple of big names. Anything short of fucking it all up is deemed as a success.

Is that it?

MartinUtd
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
oops.. meant to quote jloome's post

jloome
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
I think I get what you're saying. So basically they've got the team, the fans and a couple of big names. Anything short of fucking it all up is deemed as a success.

Is that it?

Yes, although I'd term if "the team, the fans, a couple of big names and a massive overall increase in corporate value, along with annual profits."

But keep in mind, that doesn't mean people aren't working hard or trying their best. It's just that once a few impediments creep in institutionally, it becomes hard for people to see beyond those.

It also becomes the "no alternative" position to take on institutionalized excuses, i.e. "it's MLS's dumb rules", or "it's the turf", neither of which stopped any other team in the playoffs, particularly Seattle and New England, both of whom have turf.

People whose progress is barred by a culture in which they generally thrive will support the culture, not push for the progress. Human nature.

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
After the way the season ended, there was never going to be much that MSLE could do as a gesture without it looking a bit hollow. They did something, and we should appreciate that. Can you say they were cashing in on some free marketing at a convenient time as well? Yes, of course. But they could have just run an ad and not put the thank you stuff in there (although this way it makes them look good and subtely underlines the great atmosphere at BMO Field which is what makes TFC games unique over other sporting games in this city/continent).

However, I agree with Roogsy. Saying thank you and then not showing you mean it will leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

That said, if they run a thank you ad and then get us Nicol and round out the squad by replacing some lazy bad apples with some decent calibre MLS players, then with the rgass as well I think you'd have to say they had backed up their words with some pretty meaningful actions.

Although, there will still be people looking for a ticket rpice freeze on top! :D

Beach_Red
11-10-2009, 12:31 PM
It also becomes the "no alternative" position to take on institutionalized excuses, i.e. "it's MLS's dumb rules", or "it's the turf", neither of which stopped any other team in the playoffs, particularly Seattle and New England, both of whom have turf.

People whose progress is barred by a culture in which they generally thrive will support the culture, not push for the progress. Human nature.

Very true. New England and Seattle both have very public faces of ownership, not boards of directors and shareholders. I think it's a good thing to have the top guy be someone not worried about getting fired, someone who takes pride in accomplishment beyond the bottom line.

Of course, New England started slow, missing the playoffs in three of the first four seasons and Seattle did give up something to Columbus when they got caught tampering. I think the tampering was a good move and breaking the league's rules has clearly been worth it - but it likely had to be approved from the top and it's unlikely the kind of thing that woud get approved in most corporations.

lips
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
They forgot one line
To those who paid a lot of money for marlies tickets because we forced them.

(Sorry for being negative, I just can’t get over how much I spent last December and I will do the same if I have too this December.):(

Fort York Redcoat
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
^That must've hurt x2 being from the hammer. Did you ask them if you could trade them for Bulldogs tix?:D

lips
11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
The only two games I went too where bulldogs games gave away the rest.

ensco
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Here's a book lots of people on here will enjoy

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-sided-Relentless-Promotion-Positive-Undermined/dp/0805087494/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257882423&sr=8-1

Roogsy
11-10-2009, 02:57 PM
^ That's the one! :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NwyD4aVbL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Technorgasm
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
AD is RAD

London
11-10-2009, 07:31 PM
yeah, it's a pretty old photo. anyone know the exact game?

sure do!!

it was montreal last year,
that wa the pic in the renewal pck from last year.

billyfly
11-10-2009, 07:38 PM
^Ha. The "Cunningham at his finest game".

TFC07
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking. lol

Sorry TFC FO, but I am not buying this! If you want show your appreciation to your fanbase, then build a proper team and hire some real pro's who know how to run a soccer team for TFC.

cmonyoureds
11-10-2009, 10:46 PM
do they have any idea how many complaints were made by people who tried to do exactly what they laid out line by line, and were told to stop or ejected from the building?????????????
I call BS on this one on behalf of everyone who doesn't live in the bubble down supporter end way. (no offense bubble dwellers, but that ad really peed me off)
and ditto on the marlies ticket comment

Juanito
11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Poor TFC. Even when they go a little out of their way to say thank you, we still manage to take a dump on them.

I don't get it ... can't we all get along?!

MartinUtd
11-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Lets get something straight first... who took a dump on whom this season?

I'd say John Carver took a dump on us, Tom Anselmi took a dump on us and you can probably throw Mo into that category too. I mean.. Nick Garcia? Really?

JDG
11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/2sb72uc.jpg

Shakes McQueen
11-12-2009, 07:59 AM
It's a nice gesture, and once again I can't help but laugh and shake my head at the people who desperately want to glean ulterior motives out of it.

I've got problems with how this team is run, and some of the decisions that have been made in the past couple of seasons, but I'm also not so drunk with hate and disdain for the TFC front office, that I can't recognize an innocuous thumbs up towards what we bring as supporters, for what it is.

- Scott

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-12-2009, 08:19 AM
This was published in Metro yesterday as a full page ad:

Apart from the bad grammar (should be "who" instead of "that"), it's not a bad sentiment to say "thank-you." However, with the team tanking at the end of the regular season, some will not feel too happy about focusing yet again on the "fans" instead of the (failing) team. If we do well next year, sentiments like this would undoubtedly be appreciated.

The ad was accompanied by a picture of 112 with the big drum.
I seriously wish I had picked up Metro a couple days ago. :facepalm: lol

I'm really not sure how running an ad that makes a point of thanking the 'Ultras' and placing us on a pedestal above the other fans can be construed as typical MLSE money-grabbing...? I'm as much of an MLSE critic as anyone else, but I see nothing wrong with this. Nobody forced them to run the ad, and nobody is forcing you to look at it. If you read the ad, they're saying nothing that we wouldn't say, and take pride in, ourselves. It's a pleasant surprise that someone in the TFC FO also seems to 'get it.'

menefreghista
11-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I just like how they are not thanking those losers who leave early. Kudos to TFC for that. :D

Roogsy
11-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I just like how the are not thanking those losers who leave early. Kudos to TFC for that. :D

LOL! Good point.