PDA

View Full Version : Paulo Bento as TFC coach?

Marco2K
11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Well he left his job with Sporting Of Lisbon earlier this week.

He would be a great guy to come in and coach this TFC SQUAD. He is a very tough coach and does not play favs. Players like Barrett would either put up or shut up.

What do you think?
Is it realistic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Bento

News link
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=694857&cc=5901

colman1860
11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
He doesn't speak English...too much of a barrier imo

Stryker
11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah. Thats the face of a guy I want running this team.

http://ojavalidaestrela.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/paulo-bento.jpg

If MLS rules were enough to chase JC away I think they'd likey drive this guy bat shit insane.

If he isn't already.

flatpicker
11-07-2009, 09:50 PM
^ that is an awesome picture! hahaha!

billyfly
11-07-2009, 09:58 PM
He f'ed up my Sporting and we want him for my TFC? No way.

billyfly
11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Better Nelo Vingada. He speaks English and he's family.

Super
11-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Mo already made it clear that our future coach will have MLS experience.

Jeff s
11-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Lol wat? No thanks. Have you seen how Sporting plays under Bento? Terrible. And this season, its beyond terrible. Can't even beat a team from Latvia. Imagine him going from a squad like Sportings, to tfc.

No thanks. There was no chance of it happening anyways.

Gixmo
11-07-2009, 10:21 PM

I see why on one hand... but would you turn away someone with La Liga, EPL, etc experience because he hasn't seen the MLS style of play?

rocker
11-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I see why on one hand... but would you turn away someone with La Liga, EPL, etc experience because he hasn't seen the MLS style of play?

After reading the Beckham Experiment, I fear any foreign coach will quit like Gullit did halfway through the season after he sees how this league works, and the disparity in talent from top to bottom. Gullit didn't even bother to work with the lesser talented players...

SoccMan
11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Gullit was shit,don't blame MLS, a good coach can coach in any league. This guy was just here for a paycheck. I love it how foreign coaches who come here and are not successful blame MLS for their incompetance,instead of blaming themselves.

mastermixer
11-08-2009, 12:08 AM
This part worries me. The league has only been around for just over a decade so there really arent that many coaches with MLS experience are there? I think Mo might need to broaden the search a little.

Raging Reggie
11-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I agree with rocker and super, mo already said mls experience and i have a feeling someone like him would get way to feed up with this league, its a mickey mouse league. Sign someone with MLS experience who knows what is up and what to expect and how to handle it.

Super
11-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Likelyhood of success with an MLS coach is much higher than a coach from outside. Sure, it would be great to sign a coach from a big league, but it is very likely that he would quit early, or simply fail, because the MLS is nothing like what they are used to. There are tons of frustrations they have to deal with - and that's enough of a reason for me to want to go FIRST with a proven MLS coach (if possible).

billyfly
11-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Nicol needs a job after last night.

koryo
11-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Doesn't know the league, communication barrier. He may well be a good coach, I just don't think he's right for us.

ag futbol
11-08-2009, 09:57 AM
The "MLS experience" factor is completely overblown in some ways.

If you get a guy who is a good coach **and** is familiar with the idea of working on a very limited budget he can adjust to MLS. He does not need an encyclopedic knowledge of the CBA. Any manager who is smart will have a staffer blow through that for them to figure out the ramifications of working in such an environment.

Contrary to popular belief, MLS’s restrictions do not make it the most complicated league ever to manage in. In many ways the restrictions aren’t unique at all, they are just BETTER PUBLICIZED. Adjusting to the idea of having a draft and the need to do things like scout NCAA teams, protect the right players for expansion drafts, and keeping your signings under wraps if you don't want to use discovery is not rocket science.

That being said, because we are dealing with limited budgets and bottom as opposed to top end talent, a top manager probably won’t have the skill set they need to be successful here unless they are by far tactically superior. You need somebody who looks at players that are in many ways inferior and determines have to make them fit within a time system and budget.

MUFC_Niagara
11-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Gullit was shit,don't blame MLS, a good coach can coach in any league. This guy was just here for a paycheck. I love it how foreign coaches who come here and are not successful blame MLS for their incompetance,instead of blaming themselves.

Gullit aside, this league is a joke and does require a certain personality to coach in it. The balanced schedule is a start in the right direction but once they make a few more changes I think coaches will have an easier time adjusting.

rocker
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Name me foreign coaches who have come to MLS with no experience in MLS and have succeeded............

rocker
11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
If you get a guy who is a good coach **and** is familiar with the idea of working on a very limited budget he can adjust to MLS.

Which is basically none of the coaches anyone on this site throws around as possible coaches for TFC. It's always the "big name" from a big league. A league where problems are solved by buying solutions. A league where if you coach a "big club" you are guaranteed to beat the bottom feeders regularly and look good doing it (which doesn't happen in a parity league).

One thing that repeatedly gets forgotten is that MLS experience in a coach usually means he has some sort of dedication to MLS or the sport in the US. He's willing to try again after a first stint. Foreign coaches, as we've seen with Gullitt, Carver, and Cummins, don't necessarily have that dedication to MLS. They have options back home, families back home, and can take off at any time.

Bruce Arena, Sigi, etc. are willing to work it out despite all the bullshit of MLS. They aren't going to quit on the team in the middle of the season, since they are dedicated to the sport in North America.

So "MLS experience" is a good sign that a coach will be willing to put in a great effort, accept the problems of the league, and stick around a bit.

TFC needs that now.

Beach_Red
11-08-2009, 11:20 AM
One thing that repeatedly gets forgotten is that MLS experience in a coach usually means he has some sort of dedication to MLS or the sport in the US. He's willing to try again after a first stint. Foreign coaches, as we've seen with Gullitt, Carver, and Cummins, don't necessarily have that dedication to MLS. They have options back home, families back home, and can take off at any time.

This is a good point. Someone on here commented a few times about the lack of "due diligence" in hiring Carver. But it's impossible for anyone to know how they will react to an unknown situation. At least a coach with MLS exerience won't be surprised/frustrated at the eay the league does things.

v00d00daddy
11-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Name me foreign coaches who have come to MLS with no experience in MLS and have succeeded............

How about every single coach that has ever coached in MLS.

This league is 13 years old. Every coach with an iota of success in this league has had to learn how it works.

Why is it such an impossibility for the next TFC coach to figure out how it works?

Are you suggesting that for any future MLS team to have any success they have to be under the leadership of one of the 15-20 coaches that have ever had success in MLS.

It's ridiculous.

I understand people saying that next TFC coach should have MLS experience because it will minimize the learning curve.

I just don't get the idea that it HAS to be a coach with previous MLS experience.

A good coach is a good coach. If he can motivate his players to play to their potential and has a good tactical mind then he's good enough.

Beach_Red
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
How about every single coach that has ever coached in MLS.

I agree that the search for coaches shouldn't be resricted to ONLY coaches who have MLS experience, but is it true that every single MLS coach has coached in some other country?

Didn't Sigi Schmid come from coaching NCAA?

Really, what people are saying is that it be important the coach knows what he's getting into with MLS and coaching in North America.

v00d00daddy
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I agree that the search for coaches shouldn't be resricted to ONLY coaches who have MLS experience, but is it true that every single MLS coach has coached in some other country?

Didn't Sigi Schmid come from coaching NCAA?

Really, what people are saying is that it be important the coach knows what he's getting into with MLS and coaching in North America.

Yes...but how does having coached at the NCAA level prepare anyone for coaching in MLS?

People talk as if coaching in MLS is some mystifying thing. It's not.

Granted, being a GM in MLS is weird because of the single entity aspect along with the stringent salary cap and weird allocation/dp rules.

But that has nothing to do with the coach.

A coach deals with player selection, motivation, formation and tactics. How is that different than anywhere else in the world?

Surely there are coaches in the world that can compete with Sigi Schmidt, Preki, Soehn, and Nicol. These guys are good but they're not the only options. That's all I'm saying.

I just hate limiting ourselves to such a small pool of candidates.

Mo said that there were 30+ people interested in the job. 4-5 of which he would consider. It makes no sense that all 4-5 of those ones he would consider would be from MLS only.

He has to look elsewhere as well and make an informed decision.

As for Paulo Bento, I don't know enough about him to say whether or not I'd like him as a coach for TFC. I suspect that he'd be under immense pressure if he were here because I can't see a Portuguese coach being given all that much wiggle room by our supporters.

If TFC are going to go foreign it has to be somebody that the supporters will have a hard time questioning his pedigree. Otherwise biases will take over the discussion. Guaranteed.

Beach_Red
11-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes...but how does having coached at the NCAA level prepare anyone for coaching in MLS?

If TFC are going to go foreign it has to be somebody that the supporters will have a hard time questioning his pedigree. Otherwise biases will take over the discussion. Guaranteed.

We shouldn't really be saying, "MLS experience," we should be saying, "understanding of North America."

Because, of course, you're right, the game is the game, there's bad officiating everywhere and lots of teams have a sort of salary cap in that they don't have unlimited funds, so some players on the team aren't as good (though, really, for a league with some million dollar players the discrepency in MLS is pretty extreme).

All the "MLS experience" really guarantees is that the person will have experience with the league and with North America - it's not for everyone, as many MLS teams have discovered. In typical MLSE fashion, they're looking to minimize the downside rather than taking a risk on the upside.

twistedchinaman
11-08-2009, 03:11 PM
We shouldn't really be saying, "MLS experience," we should be saying, "understanding of North America."

We have a winner!

North America is a strange animal, with differing schedules and differing climates and differing interests. Rude Gulpit...er, I meant Ruud Gullit came in and refused to learn and respect the ways set here, instead imposing Europe onto LA, which is never going to work, and never will be respected. Bruce Arena understands, and so far it has worked like a charm.

It takes patience to learn anything, and any coach that comes from overseas will need to know this, especially here in North America. If Teitur Thordarson in Vancouver (an Icelander -- okay, it's USL we know, but still, you get the idea) can understand, why couldn't Gulp'n'blowit?

hrvat87
11-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I think MO will bring someone in from the MLS...as he said him self he wants someone that knows someone that knows something about the mls...unless if he brings a outsider,and the assitant's(nick dascovic,paul winsper,and whoever else is in the coaching staff)tell the new coach something about the league,or if the new coach watches some dvd's of other teams games...we'll have to wait and see what happpens

Sab0tage
11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Steve Coppell anyone?