PDA

View Full Version : Interesting info about Mo and MLSE

Canadian Blue
11-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I am not sure if this is a known fact or not but the recent information I was given may explain the Mo/MLSE relationship:

Apparently Mo's contract is paid by the MLS "not" MLS. Apparently when Toronto joined the league they were going to interview Mo since at the current time was without a team. Since he was under a contract with MLS at the time, MLSE was asked to hire him but MLS would continue to pay his salary/contract.

So if you had a GM that was free, would you ever fire him knowing you would have to pay his replacement.

Stryker
11-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd play for MUFC for free. Maybe they'll start me over Rooney.

Shakes McQueen
11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
So if you had a GM that was free, would you ever fire him knowing you would have to pay his replacement.

One playoff game would probably make MLSE enough money to cover Mo's contract.

- Scott

MFG1
11-07-2009, 07:10 PM
then why would they offer him an extension?

shwade
11-07-2009, 07:10 PM
But didn't they give him an extension which they would have to cover?

Dirk Diggler
11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Is the contract extension paid by MLS as well?

rocker
11-07-2009, 07:14 PM
are all GMs and coaches paid by the league?
why was Mo under contract with the league at the time he was hired by TFC?

TorCanSoc
11-07-2009, 07:27 PM

:lol:

Bluenose13
11-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I am not sure if this is a known fact or not but the recent information I was given may explain the Mo/MLSE relationship:

Apparently Mo's contract is paid by the MLS "not" MLS. Apparently when Toronto joined the league they were going to interview Mo since at the current time was without a team. Since he was under a contract with MLS at the time, MLSE was asked to hire him but MLS would continue to pay his salary/contract.

So if you had a GM that was free, would you ever fire him knowing you would have to pay his replacement.Dubious sounding story to say the least.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
yeah i cant say that i believe it works like that

boban
11-08-2009, 02:15 AM
LMAO. That's classic.

:rofl: :rofl:

VPjr
11-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Actually, this is true stuff.

Mo's contract was owned by MLS at the time of TFC's entry into the league. I have posted this info on this forum and on V's board in the past.

Why MLSE extended the deal? Obviously the "soccer experts" at MLSE (Anselmi, Hunter, etc...) truly believe that this is the man for the job.

Who do they have on retainer as a knowledgeable, highly connected soccer advisor that would possibly lead them to have any doubt about their blind belief in MoJo?

Answer: Noooooobody

ag futbol
11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Who do they have on retainer as a knowledgeable, highly connected soccer advisor that would possibly lead them to have any doubt about their blind belief in MoJo?

Answer: Noooooobody
Hopefully this works out better than it did with the raptors (who tried the same thing when they hired Babcock), when the league eventually stepped in and practically forced them to hire the consultant who eventually found Colangelo.

Funny story out of that was they actually determined that asides from Babcock being a bad GM, Richard Peddie was actually degrading the reputation of the club with his lockerroom meddling and putting post-it notes on players lockers offering advise.

Consultant message to MLSE: "get him out of here!". Peddie no longer gets anywhere near the lockerroom.

rocker
11-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Mo's contract was owned by MLS at the time of TFC's entry into the league.

Why was it owned by MLS? And are all coaches' contracts owned by MLS?

Beach_Red
11-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Why MLSE extended the deal? Obviously the "soccer experts" at MLSE (Anselmi, Hunter, etc...) truly believe that this is the man for the job.

You forgot to add, "... of the available candidates willing to take the job."

There's probably some of the 'devil you know,' involved (they are pretty conservative company) but there may also be a shortage of guys willing to put up with MLSE, especially for the short-term contracts they usually offer, and the money which isn't any better than anywhere else and look at that comment about the meddling into the Raptors.

VPjr
11-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Why was it owned by MLS? And are all coaches' contracts owned by MLS?

i don't know the answer to those questions.

I would think that the answer is no, not all coach contracts are owned by MLS. However, Mo is not all coaches. He was a big score for the MLS when he decided to cross the pond and play in KC. Who knows, maybe they promised to "take care of him" after retirement.

this is a funny little league in some ways

Roogsy
11-09-2009, 09:41 AM
You forgot to add, "... of the available candidates willing to take the job."

There's probably some of the 'devil you know,' involved (they are pretty conservative company) but there may also be a shortage of guys willing to put up with MLSE, especially for the short-term contracts they usually offer, and the money which isn't any better than anywhere else and look at that comment about the meddling into the Raptors.

I doubt it's some perceived shortage of capable people to take the job. The plain fact is that they simply don't know the soccer world and have failed to look elsewhere.

And the answer to the question is no, there is no shortage of capable people, even if you are only looking in North American and even less so if you expand your search globally.

Beach_Red
11-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I doubt it's some perceived shortage of capable people to take the job. The plain fact is that they simply don't know the soccer world and have failed to look elsewhere.

And the answer to the question is no, there is no shortage of capable people, even if you are only looking in North American and even less so if you expand your search globally.

It certainly does seem like they weren't taking soccer or the team very seriously so they didn't look too hard. Chances are they interviewed a couple of guys and also a few guys probably said no to interviews.

It didn't look like they were going to work very hard to lure someone away from a job they already held.

I like the way Seattle had to settle a tampering charge to get their coach. That showed they were willing to go further.

Roogsy
11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Essentially, MLSE took the easy way out and still do since actually assessing Mo may entail having to let him go and start looking again. My feeling is that they don't view this property as being important enough to do that so long as it keeps making money. Basically that is what is boils down to. Once the lacklustre performance on the field starts affecting revenue...THEN we may see them take a look at Mo and say "sorry mate, gotta let you go to appease the masses and fool them into thinking we are doing something about improving this team, thanks for playing along, here is a bucket of money for your troubles".

Parkdale
11-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Apparently Mo's contract is paid by the MLS "not" MLS.

somewhere there's a missing 'E' in that sentence, than confuses the whole thing.

MUFC_Niagara
11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I think there is some "MLSE" conspiracy to screw the fans. I've heard that MLSE is really a front for world domination and that TFC is really a front for building a giant "laser." With this "laser" they will eventually destroy all other industry and assume total domination. Also, I heard Mo like to eat kittens. FIRE MO, MLSE is trying to screw us, FIRE CUMMINS!!!

Beach_Red
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Essentially, MLSE took the easy way out and still do since actually assessing Mo may entail having to let him go and start looking again. My feeling is that they don't view this property as being important enough to do that so long as it keeps making money. Basically that is what is boils down to. Once the lacklustre performance on the field starts affecting revenue...THEN we may see them take a look at Mo and say "sorry mate, gotta let you go to appease the masses and fool them into thinking we are doing something about improving this team, thanks for playing along, here is a bucket of money for your troubles".

You're right (except for the bucket of money part - whatever severence is in the contract will be paid, but not a penny more).

And that's the exact danger of personalizing the performance. The fans here won't demand a championship, they'll demand a change to management -- and that's exactly what they'll get.

wzhxvy
11-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I think there is some "MLSE" conspiracy to screw the fans. I've heard that MLSE is really a front for world domination and that TFC is really a front for building a giant "laser." With this "laser" they will eventually destroy all other industry and assume total domination. Also, I heard Mo like to eat kittens. FIRE MO, MLSE is trying to screw us, FIRE CUMMINS!!!

Finally a reasonable post. Doesn't everyone like eating kittens ?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-09-2009, 11:52 AM
You're right (except for the bucket of money part - whatever severence is in the contract will be paid, but not a penny more).

And that's the exact danger of personalizing the performance. The fans here won't demand a championship, they'll demand a change to management -- and that's exactly what they'll get.

good point and argument
god forbid thats what comes to fruition rather than the demand for championship

MUFC_Niagara
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Finally a reasonable post. Doesn't everyone like eating kittens ?

According to the Liberals, Stephen Harper does too! lol.

Canadian Blue
11-09-2009, 05:39 PM
somewhere there's a missing 'E' in that sentence, than confuses the whole thing.

I was surprised this comment took so long