PDA

View Full Version : Stadium name change

Libra_60
11-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I just thought I would throw this out there to see how everyone feels about our stadium name BMO Field.

I personally feel we should have a name like some of the stadiums in the EPL. Names like Stamford Bridge, St. James Park, Emirates Stadium, Villa Park & Old Trafford to name a few just sound so sweet.

I understand it is all $$$ in sponsership but I suggest if it must be BMO Field then it should be called BMO Field at Exibition Place on the front of the stadium.

Just has that professionalism to it. Obviously I have too much time on my hands this off season. I am already itching for next season. :canada:

Stryker
11-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Can't say Im a fan of "BMO".

I really like the word "Valor" for some reason.
Valor Field or Valor Stadium have a nice sound to them.
Could be a tribute of sorts to canadian war vets or something.
Anyway as far as I know there isn't any other professional sports team in the world currently using the name.

kodiakTFC
11-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Emirates Stadium is a sponsored names. Have you ever heard of Air Emirates airline? You use to be called Ashburton Grove.

Sonny Cheeba
11-07-2009, 02:18 PM
hahhaha Emirates.

the old arsenal ground was called Highbury and emirates is where ashburton grove was.... all the new stadiums will no doubt have naming rights due to the giant debts that teams face. look at the schematic for the new tottenham park. basically says "your name here" on it.

Dirk Diggler
11-07-2009, 02:27 PM
LOL at Emirates ... we should call rename our BMO to Landshark Stadium.

James Oliphant
11-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I have to wonder what the OP thought Emirates was the "English" word for...

Or maybe he thought it was named after a Lord Emirates or something.

loconet
11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
..... Names like Stamford Bridge, sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park ......

There, fixed that for you :D

Yes, that's the "official" new name for now.

Gixmo
11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Ya, Emirates isn't really a good example :)

The 'new' St. James Park is a disgrace, I feel bad for the Toons. That's a mouthful, and just does not flow. BMO in itself has a bit of 'park' feel.. I've always referred to it as B-MO or 'Church' and everyone knows what I mean.

What about Teachers Credit Pension Fund park @ Exhibition place? .. Nah...

WHITEY
11-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Chelsea is going to be selling the naming rights to Stamford Bridge too in the near future.

James Oliphant
11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I think we should take Chesterfield's or Aldershot's lead and call our stadium Recreation Ground.

Gixmo
11-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Chelsea is going to be selling the naming rights to Stamford Bridge too in the near future.

Another fine example of ruining the name.. I'm not Chelsea supporter, but Stamford Bridge is the name of the park and should remain that way. They don't need the money per se, but if it lower ticket prices and stops them from poaching minors across the globe (dig dig) so be it :)

WHITEY
11-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Another fine example of ruining the name.. I'm not Chelsea supporter, but Stamford Bridge is the name of the park and should remain that way. They don't need the money persay, but if it lower ticket prices and stops them from poaching minors across the globe (dig dig) so be it :)

HAHA ZINGGGG! LOL

Carts
11-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Exhibition Grounds...? Or Exhibition Park...?

rocker
11-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Dichio Park.

TFC FORZA RPB
11-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Aluminum Field
Aluminum Park
The Ex Park
The X Park
MLSE OWNS TFC WERE SCREWED PARK?
Single Windmill Place

TFC07
11-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Exhibition Grounds...? Or Exhibition Park...?

That's good enough since that is actual place where BMO field is located at.

Redpunkfiddle
11-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Horse has left the barn. It will always have a corporate sponsorship attached to it. Personally I rather have a company with a nickname that doesn't sound like anything ("BEE-MO") than your "Dick's Sporting Goods" kind of name.

boban
11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Another fine example of ruining the name.. I'm not Chelsea supporter, but Stamford Bridge is the name of the park and should remain that way. They don't need the money per se, but if it lower ticket prices and stops them from poaching minors across the globe (dig dig) so be it :)
It will. The CEO said that part will not change.
The sponsorship would in the line of Company name at Stamford Bridge.

boban
11-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Our home field is always National Soccer Stadium to me.
I never refer to it as that corporate Field.

s2cazz
11-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Horse has left the barn. It will always have a corporate sponsorship attached to it. Personally I rather have a company with a nickname that doesn't sound like anything ("BEE-MO") than your "Dick's Sporting Goods" kind of name.
you don't like Pizza Hut Park???? lol

How about Popeye's Park LOL the we could have a free range chicken night just like BaseketBall

trane
11-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Trane Stadium. Somewho that works for me.

werewolf
11-07-2009, 04:19 PM

On that note, we should call it Loch NaSS.

Though that can be spun either way, teams are entering the home of a monster, or the home team is nowhere to be seen.

trane
11-07-2009, 04:20 PM
^ Nice.

rocker
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM
"Dick's Sporting Goods" kind of name.

that's the worst stadium name ever

tovan
11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
BMO Stadium at Exhibition Place.. though it would only be fitting if BMO was renovated and expanded into a proper stadium (closed corners, north end seating, etc).. it's still a field with stands imo.

They did something similar in Saskatchewan. The Roughriders sold stadium naming rights to the Mosaic Company but also kept Taylor Field in the name. It's now known as Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field. I believe there are similar plans for Vancouver once BC Place stadium is renovated... _____ Stadium at BC Place.

Redcoe15
11-07-2009, 04:35 PM
KING DAVE FIELD

:flare: :drum: :flare::drum: :flare:

:D

james
11-07-2009, 04:57 PM
only old stadiums have names that arent named after companies. All new stadiums are about company names.

james
11-07-2009, 05:00 PM

im not sure, but i herd somewhere that a bunch of Chelsea supporters got together to buy Stamford Bridge and now own it for the next 45 years and also own some rights that say Chelsea has to play at stamford bridge in that agreement. Im not sure but they probably also have rights to the name Stamford Birdge tho so they might not have to change there name. Does anyone know any confirmation on this???

TFCtoMUFC
11-07-2009, 05:01 PM
KING DAVE FIELD

:flare: :drum: :flare::drum: :flare:

:D

Trojan Condoms Field at King Dave Park

NF-FC
11-07-2009, 05:07 PM
that's the worst stadium name ever

worse than "Gaylord Entertainment Center"?

Dozitwin
11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
you don't like Pizza Hut Park???? lol

How about Popeye's Park LOL the we could have a free range chicken night just like BaseketBall

.....Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles Park

rocker
11-07-2009, 05:29 PM
worse than "Gaylord Entertainment Center"?

that's a tough call. altho it seems they've changed the name on that Gaylord arena to Sommet.

So Dick's reigns supreme at this point!

I know MLS teams have trouble getting sponsors, but at least go with a acronym or something... but Dick's Sporting Goods has no class at all. DSG Park would be better. Or just find a respectably named sponsor!

ForestGlade
11-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Hands down the worst is Taco Bell Arena, home of Boise State basketball. I wouldn't want to play anywhere that reminds me of getting the shits

ginkster88
11-07-2009, 05:45 PM
In our day and age a major sponsor is the only way a sporting venue can be built. Selling the naming rights is a major part of selling the building to the municipalities and private sponsors who will be funding the rest of the building (except in the case of the Cowboys new place, a rare exception). The only grounds that will retain their name are those storied places where a name change would be sacrilege to all involved, and good ownership is necessary for this to be the case. Even then, some will pull the shady trick of selling the name of the field, and then it becomes a mouthful to say - Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium, for example. The only example I can think of where a stadium reverted back from its sponsored name would be Monster Park which was mercifully changed back to Candlestick Park two years ago after Monster.com declined to renew their contract. All things considered, I think BMO is a pretty decent corporate name.

billyfly
11-07-2009, 05:49 PM
New Trafford.

ginkster88
11-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Not pro, but kinda cool:

http://www.muffslap.com/college-football-stadium-nicknames/

rocker
11-07-2009, 05:52 PM
the funny thing is, we grow accustomed to the first name. I bet in 10 years if they change BMO to TD Canada Trust Field, we'll call it BMO. Just like I never call that big dome downtown "Rogers Centre". I still call it Skydome.

billyfly
11-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Maple Leaf field (as Canada's national stadium).

Blizzard
11-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Can't say Im a fan of "BMO".

I really like the word "Valor" for some reason.
Valor Field or Valor Stadium have a nice sound to them.
Could be a tribute of sorts to canadian war vets or something.
Anyway as far as I know there isn't any other professional sports team in the world currently using the name.

You might like the word but you don't know how to spell it! :canada:

Blizzard
11-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Hands down the worst is Taco Bell Arena, home of Boise State basketball. I wouldn't want to play anywhere that reminds me of getting the shits

I think the worst is "Dick's Sporting Goods Park" which will obviously be referred to as"Dickless Sporting Goods Park" once they lose the sponsorship.

CretanBull
11-07-2009, 06:20 PM
In England, stadiums are (or were) usually named after the street that they were on...Elland Road, Old Trafford, Bramall Lane etc. by that tradition our stadium should be called Princess Blvd. I think I prefer BMO Field.

rocker
11-07-2009, 06:26 PM
In England, stadiums are (or were) usually named after the street that they were on...Elland Road, Old Trafford, Bramall Lane etc. by that tradition our stadium should be called Princess Blvd. I think I prefer BMO Field.

you mean Princes' Blvd (like Prince Edward and Prince William.. princes...)... not princess. so maybe not as bad?? ;)

The Stadium of Princes?

CretanBull
11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I always thought that was called Princess Blvd.....well, if it was actually named after Prince (or the artist formally known as) then that's cool - although it should be painted purple then.

james
11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
the funny thing is, we grow accustomed to the first name. I bet in 10 years if they change BMO to TD Canada Trust Field, we'll call it BMO. Just like I never call that big dome downtown "Rogers Centre". I still call it Skydome.

ya me to, i think it would of been smarter to call it Rogers Sky Dome rather then Rogers Center.

twistedchinaman
11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Lakeshore Stadium.

It's by the lake, and all the wind from the lake blows over it during the colder months of the season -- so why not?

Roogsy
11-08-2009, 07:01 PM

It's a nice sentiment, but considering we've had a handful of games (what, 3?) as the NSS and probably 50 as TFC sponsored by BMO, I'd say that is a losing battle.

I could care less what a stadium is called. These days, the trend is to corporate names and that is not going to change. I am not going to lose sleep over it.

All I want is a winning team.

boban
11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
It's a nice sentiment, but considering we've had a handful of games (what, 3?) as the NSS and probably 50 as TFC sponsored by BMO, I'd say that is a losing battle.

I could care less what a stadium is called. These days, the trend is to corporate names and that is not going to change. I am not going to lose sleep over it.

All I want is a winning team.
It was first NSS.
When said company pays me to call it by said company name then I will.

CretanBull
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM

I think that we've only played Costa Rica and Jamaica there...if there's been more than that, I some how missed it!

Roogsy
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
It was first NSS.
When said company pays me to call it by said company name then I will.

LOL! I suppose you don't call the ACC the ACC? I feel the same way you do about the Skydome, to me it will forever be the Skydome but at least I have a dozen years of history under that name to back me up. The NSS has all of a month under it's wing...and without a single game played in it under that name before it became BMO Field. First game ever at the stadium was as BMO Field...and to me, that makes a substantial case for what it should be called.

Fort York Redcoat
11-09-2009, 09:07 AM
The naming rights don't pay for the stadiums way. It's a fraction that you or I would find exhorbant but in the big picture I think most would say it's worth having a place you can respect to call home.

Like the "Lakeshore" but would use "Park"

Another I wouldn't turn down-

Fort York Park:D

Hitcho
11-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I actually don't mind the name because:

1. When you say it, it almost sounds like a name and not a sponsor "Beemo". It's not like it's called "Bank of Montreal Field" Or "Home Depot Centre".

2. It's been our name since we started, and the name has come to represent good times and memories for me, not sure I want to change it now, I'd rather continue with the tradition we have already started.

Besides which, "original" names are only of value when they are genuinely "original". Trying to adopt one after a few seasons is forged and awkward and smacks of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Besides which, we have a sponsorship deal in place now and I seriously doubt there's anything we can do about it, other than buy them out and replace them with another sponsor. And frankly, BMO took a punt on TFC when they signed up because MLS wasn't exactly huge. No doubt they had carve out rights etc and an exit parachute if support for the team tanked, but nonetheless they stepped up. Kudos and gratitude for that.

So no, I vote firmly in favour in keeping the same name we've always had. I love that tin pot bucket of bolts, and I've already come to love its name, just because it's ours.

PS - just want to add to the general piss taking of citing Emirates in the OP, that's classic! :smilielol5: :facepalm:

ACSertL
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Fussball Arena Toronto...:)

Parkdale
11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
The Nascar Center for the Performing Arts

boban
11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
LOL! I suppose you don't call the ACC the ACC? I feel the same way you do about the Skydome, to me it will forever be the Skydome but at least I have a dozen years of history under that name to back me up. The NSS has all of a month under it's wing...and without a single game played in it under that name before it became BMO Field. First game ever at the stadium was as BMO Field...and to me, that makes a substantial case for what it should be called.
ACC is an acronym. On its own its not a company name. The NSS corporate name isn't so much. It's actually one of the company logo and names.
Also, the NSS was that for about a year before corporate sponsorship came along. Btw, the NSS has many games being played under the NSS name. Heck a major world championship was decided under that name. ;)

fetajr
11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Marco Velez Field

drewski
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
im not sure, but i herd somewhere that a bunch of Chelsea supporters got together to buy Stamford Bridge and now own it for the next 45 years and also own some rights that say Chelsea has to play at stamford bridge in that agreement. Im not sure but they probably also have rights to the name Stamford Birdge tho so they might not have to change there name. Does anyone know any confirmation on this???

its true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/ChelseaPitchOwners/0,,10268,00.html

drewski
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
given the military history of the Ex, some kind of nod to veteran's would be nice, like Valour Field as Stryker suggested

jaahuuu
11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
The naming rights don't pay for the stadiums way. It's a fraction that you or I would find exhorbant but in the big picture I think most would say it's worth having a place you can respect to call home.

Like the "Lakeshore" but would use "Park"

Another I wouldn't turn down-

Fort York Park:D
Sometimes the rights do pay for the stadium. Reliant Stadium in Houston cost $352million, the naming rights are $10million a year for 30 years. There is some interest lost there, but that's still a pretty significant amount.

H Bomb
11-09-2009, 11:40 AM
"emirates stadium"....man that brings back grand memories of England's footballing past...........................................fuc kin 'ell

Roogsy
11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
ACC is an acronym. On its own its not a company name. The NSS corporate name isn't so much. It's actually one of the company logo and names.
Also, the NSS was that for about a year before corporate sponsorship came along. Btw, the NSS has many games being played under the NSS name. Heck a major world championship was decided under that name. ;)

LOL!

What do you think "beemo" is if not an acronym?

What do you think "ACC" is an acronym for?

Also...when you say it was the NSS for a year before it changed, do you mean that it was referred to as such while it was being built? For real? That is your argument?

The only issue I do agree with you is that the U20 was played there under the NSS banner. But that was 2 years ago and nothing since but 2 CMNT games. Hardly a case to be made for the NSS camp when 30+ games have been played since as BMO.

Pookie
11-09-2009, 01:08 PM
LOL at Emirates ... we should call rename our BMO to Landshark Stadium.

Landshark is a beer in Florida.

tfcleeds
11-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Bitchy's Bitchin' Stadium?

Then there's the quainter former and present English stadium names like Meadow Lane, Deepdale, and Spotland. In a nod to that, we could call it Seagull Haven?

Mikey
11-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm torn between "the knackers yard" and "Donkey Island", because with the former it's a good description of somewhere old donkeys would come to die, but the latter feels like you might get to vote someone off now and again.

ManUtd4ever
11-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Fun thread...I think BMO Field should be nicknamed "Heartbreak Ridge" as a tribute to all the supporters...

Keyman
11-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Remembrance Field

Hitcho
11-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Well since we're just playing about here now rather than debating the issue in reality...

The House On Lakeshore

H Bomb
11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I think it should be named after a local landmark and such. For me the only, and obvious, choice is "The Food Building"

Canadian Blue
11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Are actually changing the name of BMO or is this thread just to kill time during the off season?

Hitcho
11-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I think it should be named after a local landmark and such. For me the only, and obvious, choice is "The Food Building"

:smilielol5:

Hitcho
11-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Are actually changing the name of BMO or is this thread just to kill time during the off season?

It's pure BS, dreamed up by the OP, who for some reason also thinks that the Emirates is a classic old name in the same mould as Anfield and Gresty Road.

H Bomb
11-09-2009, 05:43 PM
^^ emirates made me laugh.

Two best stadium names in Football

Deepdale

Turf Moor

deltox
11-09-2009, 05:51 PM
fort york Lane

Cashcleaner
11-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Old Cottage Bridge Road Stadium...Field.

boban
11-09-2009, 05:57 PM
It's pure BS, dreamed up by the OP, who for some reason also thinks that the Emirates is a classic old name in the same mould as Anfield and Gresty Road.
Guy made a mistake, relax. it's probably some young kid wanting to contribute.
No need to ridicule him.
No one is perfect here.

H Bomb
11-09-2009, 06:01 PM
not ridicule, just joke. Jokes are funny. They are better than treating on glass to make sure no one anywhere is ever insulted by anything. The kid will now have learnt that Emirites is a land ruled by an Emir and not a classic English football stadium. :)

Cuchulain
11-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I remember before the stadium was named I was hoping it would have the word 'Princes' in it because it's on Princes' Blvd. Maybe Princes' Park. Has that British quality to it.

james
11-09-2009, 10:00 PM
its true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/ChelseaPitchOwners/0,,10268,00.html

tho i hate Chelsea, i wish more teams did what Chelsea fans did, take control and buy there own stadium. This way they can keep the original name of the stadium, not like all these new corporate stadium names.

Also i dont know how some of you feel, but i am not a fan of all these old historic stadium being replaced by these bran new stadiums. I find the new stadiums are just to fancy, they never seem to have the same atmosphere the old stadium do. Old stadiums were often more jam packed, seats are tiny and you cant really fit in it sitting down, some times ugly and bare with no extra fancy add on's but thats what make those stadiums so good, there are strictly for watching soccer, just something about stadiums like that!

peter_tfc
11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't care about the stadium name, but the South end should definitely be renamed the "DICHIO END".

Hitcho
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Guy made a mistake, relax. it's probably some young kid wanting to contribute.
No need to ridicule him.
No one is perfect here.

Like H Bomb said, only joking. If the OP is reading, come on out and laugh it up dude! No need to feel down about it, and look - your thread is now into page 3, which is validationa ll by itself! :D

H Bomb - good to meet you tonight dude, and good result for your other team as well.

Hitcho
11-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't care about the stadium name, but the South end should definitely be renamed the "DICHIO END".

I like the idea of giving Danny a stand name, but not sure Dichio End has got the right ring to it. Just a personal opinion, but overall definitely be in support of the idea generally.

menefreghista
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Deepdale

Turf Moor

The Dripping Pan

TFCtoMUFC
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
We should have the Harmse Door, cause when you play like him thats the last thing you'll see, as a member of TFC. (that totally rhymed)

maninb
11-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Flat Shite Expensive Beer Park

C.Ronaldo
11-10-2009, 03:09 PM
the Dichio Stronghold?

T_Mizz
11-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I totally agree with Hitcho, I don't think that the NSS has the same ring to it Beemo just feels right now. One thing I am not able to stand is the corporate field at traditional name.

greatwhitenorf
11-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Classic name - White Hart Lane - soon to be erased by whatever company pays to name Spurs big new MegaLane stadium.

Like the nearby military connection. Fort York Field. Fort York Park. Fortress York. The Garrison Ground. Battle Field. Lot to work with.

boban
11-11-2009, 12:17 AM
I remember before the stadium was named I was hoping it would have the word 'Princes' in it because it's on Princes' Blvd. Maybe Princes' Park. Has that British quality to it.
:puke: :puke:

TOBOR !
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Do it up - Ft. York Field, the armoury, whatevs.

felipe
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
The city ground!

flatpicker
11-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure why this thread is so active?
I admit, I have skipped over most of the posts in it.
But it seems like we are discussing something that is never gonna happen
(or at least not for a very long time)
We are stuck with BMO for years to come.
After that, we'll probably end up with Rogers Field, or Bell Mobility Field, or Blackberry Park.

That said, I would love it if it were called Fort York Park, or some such thing.
But I think we have a better chance of getting a roof.

Sonny Cheeba
11-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Deepdale

Turf Moor

Gayfield (Arbroath FC)

Emirates is still making me laugh.... i've been having a chuckle for days at that one.

tfcleeds
11-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure why this thread is so active?
I admit, I have skipped over most of the posts in it.
But it seems like we are discussing something that is never gonna happen
(or at least not for a very long time)
We are stuck with BMO for years to come.
After that, we'll probably end up with Rogers Field, or Bell Mobility Field, or Blackberry Park.

That said, I would love it if it were called Fort York Park, or some such thing.
But I think we have a better chance of getting a roof.

Can you tell its the offseason? ;)

Bloor West FC
11-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Carlsberg Park.

twistedchinaman
11-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Well since we're just playing about here now rather than debating the issue in reality...

The House On Lakeshore

+1!!!! :scarf: