PDA

View Full Version : Brennan a bench player next year.

Darlofletch
11-07-2009, 01:24 PM
So yesterday I drunkenly stumbled across the latest "This is Football with Mo Johnston" on Goltv. They must not have advertised this one that much as it seemed like there was a lot fewer supporters in the background, and no supporter questions this time.

Anyway, amongst all the usual avoidance, insistence that things actually are ok, and throwing under the bus of Cummins, one useful bit of info came out, maybe it's not new at all, but it's the first time I'd heard it.

Apparently Jimmy wants to come back next year on a reduced salary, and although "it's the new coach's decision", Mo seemed to suggest he'd be limited to coming off the bench in 10 or 12 games, and playing in concacaf games if we qualify for them, something like that.

As for him being captain, again that's apparently up to the new coach.

he said it would be Brennan's last season, and there'll definitely be a place for him upstairs after he's hung his boots up.

I'd be fine with Jimmy in that role, though he could probably do a good job on a more permanent basis in left midfield, but there's really no point in him being captain if he's not going to play that often.

And I'd be intrigued to see what "reduced salary" means.

uncle p
11-07-2009, 01:52 PM
If Jimmy doesnt have a problem coming off the bench than neither do i, but i'll hold my approval/disapproval when i see who they would bring in as a replacement

wzhxvy
11-07-2009, 01:53 PM
thats definetly news to me about him being a bench player and reduced salary and maybe not being captain..actually those are the 3 conditions I would have put on him coming back and sounds like a reasonably good outcome for all. Lets hope its the truth.

TFC Tifoso
11-07-2009, 01:54 PM
If Jimmy doesnt have a problem coming off the bench than neither do i, but i'll hold my approval/disapproval when i see who they would bring in as a replacement

me too....still not totally convinced on Fellinga....

and I hope it is Jimmy who gives up the armband (if necessary) and not forced to give it up.

Shakes McQueen
11-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I like the idea, as long as it's at a reduced salary. Can't afford to pay bench players that much, unless it's a super sub.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
11-07-2009, 06:19 PM
sounds good to me, glad hes into it, i think he still has something toffer but sadly he hasnt been as consistent as we need, bench player is a great idea. Looks like we need two wingers for sure now

TorCanSoc
11-07-2009, 07:29 PM
JDG or DeRo for captain. :hide:

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Another tidbit from the Mo Show, TFC will be playing in something called the Orlando Cup.

wzhxvy
11-07-2009, 07:46 PM
whats the Orlando Cup and when ?

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I did a web search on it with no luck (unless it's connected to the Orland Cup of Paintballing). I get the impression it's before Charleston.

prizby
11-07-2009, 08:45 PM
let him stay captain...when he doesn't start, have a vice captain

wzhxvy
11-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Would be nice if they had something in Orlando in March...take the kids down to Disney and watch some TFC...that would actually be a smart location and time

VPjr
11-08-2009, 02:50 AM
This news is no surprise. TFC FO people have been talking out loud that Jimmy has lost a step and can't cut it as a full time player anymore. I'm actually surprised he kept the captaincy this year.

As a midfield sub, i think he still has a role to play, as long as he is willing to buy into that role. Beyond that, he's past the best before date.

Shakes McQueen
11-08-2009, 03:40 AM
This news is no surprise. TFC FO people have been talking out loud that Jimmy has lost a step and can't cut it as a full time player anymore. I'm actually surprised he kept the captaincy this year.

As a midfield sub, i think he still has a role to play, as long as he is willing to buy into that role. Beyond that, he's past the best before date.

Seconded.

I'd like to see a guy like JDG or DeRo given the captaincy. It's important to give it to a skilled player, so he has the respect of the room. And both are competitors who aren't afraid to speak up - particularly DeRo.

While the FO and coach deserve a lot of the blame for the (apparently) poisonous and lethargic atmosphere in the locker room towards the end of the season, the captain shares equally in the blame. This season has made it pretty clear to me that we need to give the armband to someone else.

Jimmy B is a good veteran presence in the locker room, but it's pretty clear to me that he doesn't have the fire and on-pitch skills to command a team.

- Scott

Pachuco
11-10-2009, 09:38 AM
I never understand why management would every say that to a player before the season starts. What he should be saying is you have as much of a shot to be the starting LB or LM as everyone else. If you outperform the other guys, then the job is yours. That can only create competition and can only motivate the guy to work his ass off in training.

It's silly, and poor management style to say to a player that you'll be riding the bench next year. What happens if there are injuries and you need to call on the player full time? Well chances are you've crushed him mentally by then.

James17930
11-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I think Fellinga should be given a shot as a true left winger to see what he can do.

Wooster_TFC
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
This will make the expansion draft more interesting...how can you protect a bench player?

CoachGT
11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
I never understand why management would every say that to a player before the season starts. What he should be saying is you have as much of a shot to be the starting LB or LM as everyone else. If you outperform the other guys, then the job is yours. That can only create competition and can only motivate the guy to work his ass off in training.

It's silly, and poor management style to say to a player that you'll be riding the bench next year. What happens if there are injuries and you need to call on the player full time? Well chances are you've crushed him mentally by then.

I think it is about setting expectations more than anything else. Jimmy has had a pretty good run, but he's at an age where many players are winding down. Look at Danny last year - same scenario. Jimmy has suffered through some minor injuries and it takes longer to get ready and then to recover from playing every game. Not saying he couldn't, just that it will be harder on him.

If Jimmy competes and wins a starting role next year from the start of the season, the question I have is how long will it last? He is more effective in a midfield role than at the back, and we have good depth at midfield already.

jabbronies
11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
JDG or DeRo for captain. :hide:
nooooooooooooooooo

neither IMO are true team leaders. Yes they have skill, but it takes more than skill to lead a team. I don't know if JDG is vocal enough and i think Dero may be too vocal.

I could see someone like Cronin being a captain in a few years. A few of the senior players speak highly of him in the dressing room and have said that he isn't afraid to state his opinion, even as a rookie.

As for players we have right now...Robbo?
As for players we need to get...I'd like to see our CB be the captain. like a John Terry

MartinUtd
11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
This will make the expansion draft more interesting...how can you protect a bench player?

Brennan is safe. Between his age, stated willingness to be a bench player and international status, he wont be going anywhere.

anonymiss
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I could see someone like Cronin being a captain in a few years. A few of the senior players speak highly of him in the dressing room and have said that he isn't afraid to state his opinion, even as a rookie.

As for players we have right now...Robbo?
As for players we need to get...I'd like to see our CB be the captain. like a John Terry

I definitely agree, Cronin, having had a great mentor in Robbo, would make a superb captain in a few years. As for the here and now, I'd vote Robbo, he's got a strong presence, is vocal, and brings experience to the table.

As for a John Terry-type CB...I'm with you there 100%...how about we *magically* get john Terry himself?:D

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM

Read the OP again - Jimmy said he WANTS to come back on a reduced salary and more limited game time.

He probably knows he cannot play every minute of every game any more and is being realistic about it. he doesn't want to get canned from the team so instead of risking that by dmeanding his full contract he will take a cut and accept reduced playing time. he can help guide the younger players and hopefully perform better when he does play because he's in better shape, especially if he's used in games where pace isn't key, for example. I always like to see a settled back line so hopefully Jimmy will play LM when he does play next season, that's his best position anyway.

Alternatively, this is all pure BS and Mo is getting ready to throw another TFC legend under the bus by spreading the word on tv to ease the blow.

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 11:05 AM

I think that's the opint though - they won;t protect him now for the same reason Danny wasn't last time around. If Jimmy gets nabbed in the expansion draft he will just retire and either start his coaching role with TFC immediately or take a season off and start coaching next year. So with that, his age and his nationality, there's zero chance of him being picked and we don't need to protect him. at least, that's how i would see it.

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 11:07 AM
I think De Ro would make a stellar captain. He leads by example and he calls people out for lack of effort and focus (not by name in public, but clearly he does in the dressing room). He even called out MLSE on the rgass issue. He won't accept anythign less than 110% commitment and he has vast MLS experience. Plus he;s a local boy with legend MLS status. Seems like the natural choice.

Someone suggested Jimmy B as capt and Robbo taking over as vice capt - I think Robbo may end up in the same boat as Jimmy next season, and no point having your capt and vice capt on the bench a lot!

Darlofletch
11-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Read the OP again - Jimmy said he WANTS to come back on a reduced salary and more limited game time.

He probably knows he cannot play every minute of every game any more and is being realistic about it. he doesn't want to get canned from the team so instead of risking that by dmeanding his full contract he will take a cut and accept reduced playing time. he can help guide the younger players and hopefully perform better when he does play because he's in better shape, especially if he's used in games where pace isn't key, for example. I always like to see a settled back line so hopefully Jimmy will play LM when he does play next season, that's his best position anyway.

Alternatively, this is all pure BS and Mo is getting ready to throw another TFC legend under the bus by spreading the word on tv to ease the blow.

Not quite, MO said, that Jimmy said....

so take that for what it's worth.

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 11:09 AM
^ hehe, which is why i put my "alternatively" line at the end...

PS - just how drunk were you Dunc? Trip over a parked car drunk? Pass out on a speed bump drunk? Fall asleep at a downtown bus stop and have change thrown at you drunk? Just curious to see how much stock to put in what you "remember" mate!! ;)

Wooster_TFC
11-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Brennan is safe. Between his age, stated willingness to be a bench player and international status, he wont be going anywhere.

I think that's the opint though - they won;t protect him now for the same reason Danny wasn't last time around. If Jimmy gets nabbed in the expansion draft he will just retire and either start his coaching role with TFC immediately or take a season off and start coaching next year. So with that, his age and his nationality, there's zero chance of him being picked and we don't need to protect him. at least, that's how i would see it.

Just like Jason Kreis and Tim Regan were safe when TFC came into the league? Oh wait, they weren't and were picked up and swapped back for allocation(Kreis) and Buddle (Regan), even though they both proceeded to retire to coaching/scouting positions almost right afterwards...

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
^ nobody likes a smart ass! :D:D:D

Wooster_TFC
11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
^ nobody likes a smart ass! :D:D:D

But, you are correct in pointing out that there was the counter-point in Dichio, who could have been picked up but wasn't (although I view Seattle's expansion draft as an anomaly, and I still don't get why they picked Smith).

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I think Jimmy would be safe if it's made known he will be looking for a part time role only on a reduced salary and will retire if he gets nabbed. No guarantees of course, but it would be a big gamble that they'd get something back on him from TFC and no-one else will likely trade for him.

Darlofletch
11-10-2009, 11:38 AM
^ hehe, which is why i put my "alternatively" line at the end...

PS - just how drunk were you Dunc? Trip over a parked car drunk? Pass out on a speed bump drunk? Fall asleep at a downtown bus stop and have change thrown at you drunk? Just curious to see how much stock to put in what you "remember" mate!! ;)

When did I pass out on a speed bump?

I was 5 beers and a large "just the pig" pizza in, so I'm fairly confident of what I saw.

rocker
11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
if we lose him, so be it. he's useful but would anyone cry if the Union nabbed him? "oh no, there goes the championship!!"

every time these drafts come up, people get overly protective of our players and overrate them. just leave him open and i doubt Union will take him anyways. there will be more talent available now with Seattle in the mix... and don't forget not every team will lose a player.

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 12:39 PM
When did I pass out on a speed bump?

I was 5 beers and a large "just the pig" pizza in, so I'm fairly confident of what I saw.

Cambridge, the night we went out for curry with Knobbo and the birds. Actually to be fair, you didn't quite pass out, but you fell on it and were too drunk to get up again, having already fallen off your chair in the curry house. Good times my friend!

And actually it wasn't a speed bump, it wa sone of those big ramps to stop you driving into a parking lot through the exit point, but details details...

I bet Mrs Darlofletch was aghast if she was watching too.

Darlofletch
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Doesn't sound familiar at all, I swear you make this stuff up.

and yes, Mrs Darlofletch is very unhappy about the prospect of Jimmy being phased out.

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Well she'll be happier when he joins Danny on the coaching ranks and becomes a part of TFC for the long term.

Interesting that this doesn't seem to have been picked up by the mainstream medai yet - captain of a TO team being phased out. ANyone seen it elsewhere?

Yohan
11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
obviously Jimmy B has lost a few steps, but I really do think he can still start at LW, but not at LB

some of best runs on the left side was made by Jimmy B, who still know how to make runs at proper time. I don't think he's the captain TFC needs, but if he comes back, he's going to be very motivated to make an impact

Hitcho
11-10-2009, 03:16 PM
obviously Jimmy B has lost a few steps, but I really do think he can still start at LW, but not at LB

some of best runs on the left side was made by Jimmy B, who still know how to make runs at proper time. I don't think he's the captain TFC needs, but if he comes back, he's going to be very motivated to make an impact

Agreed.

Left mid is his position for next season, his crossing and shooting is better than what we have on the left from anywhere else, in addition to his run making.

And he definitely has something to prove - in his own words he has "unfinished business" with TFC. He's going to be hurting if he retires this time next year without a play off spot, another Canada Cup and having seen TFC safely into the CCL group stages.