PDA

View Full Version : We are down 5 players to International duty on Saturday!!!

JDG
06-11-2008, 09:43 AM
This may be common knowledge to many of you already, but it just hit me.

We will be missing the following players in our game vs Colorado this Saturday:

Sutton
Brennan
Edu
Guerava
Marshall

Any ideas on what our lineup will look like?
We looked like we have a lot of depth when we played LA, but Houston made us look like fools. Which performance can we expect from the bench?

Technorgasm
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Ernest. . we have to do something. . Carver is pissed, and so are we.

would anyone like to form a hit / Kidnapp Squad to get our players back?

they ALL better see majour pitch time. . . or someone is going to get hurt. . . or at least annoyed. . maybe slightly irritated, or possibly disgruntled.. . . or pee'd on , which ever is easiest.

joelakeshore
06-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Amado Guevara, does he still play for us? Beginning to really dislike Honduras

Shaughno
06-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I think Carver is going to kick some ass going into this one. Make sure the lads know that they HAVE to win this one regardless of who's in the line up.

-------------Edwards
Wynne---James---Velez---Dunivant
----------Harmse/Hemming
Ricketts-----Robinson-----Robert
----------Smith
-------------------Cunningham (unless Dichio is 100%)

JDG
06-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I think Carver is going to kick some ass going into this one. Make sure the lads know that they HAVE to win this one regardless of who's in the line up.

-------------Edwards
Wynne---James---Velez---Brennan
----------Harmse/Hemming
----------Smith

Brennan is not available!

SilverSamurai
06-11-2008, 09:49 AM
This is a FIFA date weekend. Can't do anything about it.
But then again so is next weekend too...
Blame MLS schedules!

Shaughno
:noidea: Doesn't look as bad as I initially thought.

joelakeshore
I'd definitely give Hemming a shout over Harmse...can't do much worse, that's for sure

Shaughno

Whatchu talkin' bout willis!

djking2
You're still showing Brennan in that line-up Shaughno ?

Wagner

Sutton
Brennan
Edu
Guerava
Marshall

We looked like we have a lot of depth when we played LA, but Houston made us look like fools. Which performance can we expect from the bench?

wow,
that sucks,
those are 5 core players.

here's my first try at one of these:

------Edwards-------
wynne - velez - james - Tebily

Ricketts - Harmse - - Robbo - Robert
---smith ---cunny-----

SilverSamurai

Tebily good again?
Velez will stay since he got a red card in his previous game, otherwise he'd be gone too!

werewolf
-------------Dichio---Cunny-----------
--Robert---Robinson--Ricketts--Smith--
--Dunivant--James---Velez-----Wynne--
----------------Edwards---------------

I may be off in the midfield, but I am not going to condone Harmse getting playing time. Perhaps if Harmse does start, Smith might play striker, depending on Danny's injury. Tebily maybe at the back too.

Shaughno
06-11-2008, 09:50 AM
wow,
that sucks,
those are 5 core players.

here's my first try at one of these:

------Edwards-------
wynne - velez - james - Tebily

Ricketts - Harmse - - Robbo - Robert
---smith ---cunny-----

I can't see Tebily playing wide. If they were to keep that lineup and NOT use Dunivant, I would assume they would push Velez to LB to cover since he's naturally an outside defender anyway.

Shaughno
06-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Also... we've been playing 4-5-1 basically all season. Why do people think he's going to 4-4-2? Especially with Smith playing much better in mid than up front.

joelakeshore
06-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I'd like to see Tebily playing DM with Robinson, stick with the 4-2-3-1 we play pretty well, with Smith in the Guevara-esque role and whoever is most fit between Danny and Cunny for striker

werewolf
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
let's all remember this is brought to you by the MLS - "too arrogant to recognize international dates"

Cantstoptherock
06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
MLS has to realize that once they start attracting top-end talent, that talent will have international commitments and the schedules will need to be flexible enough to change here and there. Expecting a team to perform without 2 core players is a bit much, but 5 is just unreasonable. This has to end.

werewolf
06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Also... we've been playing 4-5-1 basically all season. Why do people think he's going to 4-4-2? Especially with Smith playing much better in mid than up front.

Not impressed in 4-5-1 without Edu and Guevara. We are better with Smith upfront then Harmse on the field.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-11-2008, 09:57 AM

I disliked Honduras four years ago, and I may dislike them even more in a few months.

Wagner
06-11-2008, 09:58 AM
let's all remember this is brought to you by the MLS - "too arrogant to recognize international dates"

i was thinking about this the other day....

i wonder if England was in Euro2008, if they'd start to take more notice of int'l dates....

werewolf
06-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I disliked Honduras four years ago, and I may dislike them even more in a few months.

If we have the likes of Adriann Cann and Ugo Imehelu at the back, Suazo and Amado are going to tear us apart. But that is an argument for another section.

Pachuco
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM
i was thinking about this the other day....

i wonder if England was in Euro2008, if they'd start to take more notice of int'l dates....

I have no idea what you're getting to.

Carts
06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Honduras is now our enemy...

Honestly, this sucks... 5 guys out with FIFA duty :mad:

Carts...

akoto
06-11-2008, 10:05 AM

-------------Edwards
Wynne---James---Velez---Dunivant
----------Harmse/Hemming
----------Smith

I think this will end up being the starting 11. I can't see JC starting both Dichio and Cunningham. Dichio probably can't go the full 90 and I'm sure he doesn't want to give Lombardo playing time if he doesn't have to. I see Cunningham starting with Dichio coming in 60-70 depending on the game. I would like to see Hemming get the start over Harmse as well.

Shaughno
06-11-2008, 10:08 AM
My only concern with Hemming is match fitness. He's been away on trial for clubs, not necessarily a great way to maintain a great fitness level. I am assuming Harmse will start unless Hemming has seriously impressed in training.

werewolf
06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Hemming could have been training with us, even before we signed him, sure that may not be the same, but maybe he has been running extra after practice.

Shaughno
06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Like I said, it's my only concern. We really have no idea what his fitness level is at this point. ;)

werewolf
06-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I might feel better with Tebily at the back, James is young and Velez has his moments. Olivier appeared to be more consistent and solid in the few times he has played.

olegunnar
06-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Doesn't matter who's not in the line up.
We're the mighty TFC playing in the Fortress. Colorado has no chance.

On a less flippant note, since Sutton, Brennan and Marshall all played like they were someone else anyways looks like we're in the same situation we were last week, excpet the discipline/fitness issue with Robert should be settled. Was there ever any explanation why he didn't start?

giambac
06-11-2008, 10:24 AM

Sutton
Brennan
Edu
Guerava
Marshall

I think unfortunatly we will probaly get a similar performanc eas the Houston game. we looked good against LA because they were missing their 2 firepowersin Beckam and Donovan.

It will definetly be a tougher match against a tougher opponent on Saturday.

Hate to think of it but our home unbeaten streak is at risk.

trane
06-11-2008, 10:26 AM
The only good thing for me about Italy's loss on Monday, is that I have not been able to think about quite shit, TFC looked on Saturday. They were awfull, and the broadcast was even worse.

jloome
06-11-2008, 10:48 AM
I can't see Tebily playing wide. If they were to keep that lineup and NOT use Dunivant, I would assume they would push Velez to LB to cover since he's naturally an outside defender anyway.

Actually he played wide several times for Birmingham and was pretty good. He's fast, can pass and can mark well. I'd use him there if he was available:

----------------Edwards
Wynne---Velez---James--Tebily/Dunivant
----------------Robinson
Smith------Ricketts---------Robert
------------Dichio----Cunningham

I look at most teams in this league and that's still a lineup that should be able to win, in my book.

Shaughno
06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree we should still pull off a win if they keep to a cohesive unit. I'm not saying Tebily can't play wide, just that I don't see Carver playing him there. I would assume he would be used in DM before LB.

Shaughno
06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
------------Edwards
Wynne---Velez---James---Dunivant
--------Tebily---Robinson
Ricketts-----Smith-----Robert
----------Cunningham

I can see that happening.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
------------Edwards
Wynne---Velez---James--Dunivant
--------Robinson---Tebily------
Smith------Ricketts---------Robert
----------Cunningham

What i would like to see, tho i wouldnt doubt we see a 4-4-2 with smith up front with Cunny

jloome
06-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I agree we should still pull off a win if they keep to a cohesive unit. I'm not saying Tebily can't play wide, just that I don't see Carver playing him there. I would assume he would be used in DM before LB.

Yeah, maybe. Depends on whether he can see moving ricketts inside. He's probably the team's best passer outside of Guevara and Jimmy B, so I could see it.

I'd certainly like to see Tebily at DM, as everyone I've talked to from Birmingham online seems to think he'd have had a monster career if he'd just stuck with midfield roles.

So maybe they play Dunny out left and Tebily comes in with Robinson. I kind of hope not, though, as I don't think either guy is going to supply much to the forwards. The one thing the LA game showed is that when he's called on in that role, Ricketts does alright. I think they'd have done better in Houston moving him inside than having Harmse on the field, as neither he nor robinson can stroke a long pass to save their lives.

Can't see smith inside Shaugno, as he hasn't shown much propensity for passing.

Pachuco
06-11-2008, 10:55 AM
------------Edwards
----------Cunningham

I like this lineup. With Dichio coming in in the 60th minute.

darb
06-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Doesn't matter who's not in the line up.
We're the mighty TFC playing in the Fortress. Colorado has no chance.

On a less flippant note, since Sutton, Brennan and Marshall all played like they were someone else anyways looks like we're in the same situation we were last week, excpet the discipline/fitness issue with Robert should be settled. Was there ever any explanation why he didn't start?

I didn't hear of any discipline issue there. I thought it was just Carver's "most recently played" policy in effect. Dunivant played the previous game, so he starts the next, even if he didn't do much to impress in the previous game.

Shaughno
06-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah, maybe. Depends on whether he can see moving ricketts inside. He's probably the team's best passer outside of Guevara and Jimmy B, so I could see it.

I'd certainly like to see Tebily at DM, as everyone I've talked to from Birmingham online seems to think he'd have had a monster career if he'd just stuck with midfield roles.

So maybe they play Dunny out left and Tebily comes in with Robinson. I kind of hope not, though, as I don't think either guy is going to supply much to the forwards. The one thing the LA game showed is that when he's called on in that role, Ricketts does alright. I think they'd have done better in Houston moving him inside than having Harmse on the field, as neither he nor robinson can stroke a long pass to save their lives.

Can't see smith inside Shaugno, as he hasn't shown much propensity for passing.

Only reason I put Smith inside, is it's more of a dropped striker than CM role IMO. Carver doesn't seem to want to use Ricketts in the middle from what I've seen and I think we'll see Robert coming into the middle a lot with Smith pushing onto the left.

trane
06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
------------Edwards
----------Cunningham

I like this but with Dichio instea of Cunny upfront. Cunny should come for after 60-70 Minutes. I think that it would give us the best opportunity to win. However, no matter who we put out there if we look as disorganized and lazy as we did on Sunday, it will not matter.

Northern Soul
06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Only reason I put Smith inside, is it's more of a dropped striker than CM role IMO. Carver doesn't seem to want to use Ricketts in the middle from what I've seen and I think we'll see Robert coming into the middle a lot with Smith pushing onto the left.

So let's start Robert in Guevara's spot. He has enough creativity to play there.

Footie-11
06-11-2008, 11:23 AM
----------------Edwards
Wynne---Velez----James/Tebily---Dunny
-----------Harmse------Robbo
Rickets-----------------------Robert
-----------------Smith
-----------Cunny/Dichio(depends on health)

I think thats preety accurate in terms of our lineup, with hemming coming on as a sub just because harmse has expierence.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-11-2008, 11:27 AM
------------Edwards
----------Cunningham

Me too, looks good

Leprechaun
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
what the fuck.. how can players miss so many club games? this is brutal wow. i thought we would have all of our players back by now.

Pachuco
06-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Anyone know what the situation looks like for next week? as far as players absent goes that is.

akoto
06-11-2008, 12:27 PM
The Guevara international call up is getting way out of hand now. JC was saying how it was hard to get in touch with him down there, it can't be that hard. They have the internet, they have cell phones. Get him back. We aren't paying him to sit at home playing friendlies.

Oldtimer
06-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Colorado will be missing midfielder Pablo Mastroeni (USA National Team) and defender Ugo Ihemelu (called up by Canada). It will effect them (Pablo is their "Guevara"), but TFC has a much bigger loss. Time to crank up the support!

invictusTFC
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Edwards
Wynne - Velez - James - Dunivant

Ricketts - Tebily - - Robbo - Robert

---Smith ---Cunny-----

Tebily has a lot of experience playing as a holding midfielder. I'd be more confident watching him play over Harmse. That being said, you can always give Roseland a run out there playing Guevara's position and bring DD on as the lone forward. However, I'd stick to the above formation to start the game.

invictusTFC
06-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Colorado will be missing midfielder Pablo Mastroeni (USA National Team) and defender Ugo Ihemelu (called up by Canada). It will effect them (Pablo is their "Guevara"), but TFC has a much bigger loss. Time to crank up the support!

I thought Cristian Gomez was their Guevara. Isn't Mastroeni their holding mid?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
mlS is a joke......when will they ever accept international dates..and shut the foooking league down!

invictusTFC
06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
what the fuck.. how can players miss so many club games? this is brutal wow. i thought we would have all of our players back by now.
Its the league's fault. They could have scheduled games around the international commitments. They've handcuffed some teams as a result.

TFC Cityboy
06-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Jimmy B has invested in a cloning machine...tests are taking place today and Jimmy B hopes to appear in both matches this weekend

bhoybobby
06-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Well we knew this going into the season, are we deep enough? I guess we'll find out if the squad players can seize another chance to shine & compete

TFC07
06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Everybody (including Carver) should be pissed at MLS more than these players and their managers.

Why can't MLS follow FIFA dates?

These americans wonder why some of us call MLS a bush league.

joel
06-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I'd actually like to see the D without brennan for a match...sometimes it seems like he's the right guy, and sometimes it seems like he's causing the problems.

TFC111
06-11-2008, 06:05 PM
TFC makes a plea for International dates to be respected:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/fans/blogs/kick_about/

rocker
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Everybody (including Carver) should be pissed at MLS more than these players and their managers.

Why can't MLS follow FIFA dates?

These americans wonder why some of us call MLS a bush league.

Carver doesn't seem to have a problem with letting guys go for FIFA dates. It's these goddamn friendlies that are a problem. Friendlies don't necessarily occur on FIFA dates, so as a team you have a shitload of possible days of absence.

Guevara has missed a couple games not just because of FIFA dates.. but because of friendlies. We coulda had him for 2 league games if he wasn't playing in friendlies.

GuelphStorm2007
06-11-2008, 09:11 PM
What I don't get every league in the world will shut down during any FIFA International date. why won't the MLS

ExiledRed
06-11-2008, 09:17 PM
What I don't get every league in the world will shut down during any FIFA International date. why won't the MLS

Mate, the MLS is uninterrupted by the fucking World Cup.

I think it's more to do with the summer season than anything else.

Mrs. Workie
06-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I think it's more to do with the summer season than anything else.

I think that's exactly it Ian- what other league plays during the summer?

(if there are some, please forgive my football ignorance)

andyc
06-11-2008, 09:33 PM
^^^ Oh shit I totally forgot about the World Cup...

In 2 years time we're completely fucked!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

ExiledRed
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM

It's not like there are a glut of players in MLS, who will be playing in the World Cup.

But then again...in 2 years time, who knows.

shaggingscot
06-11-2008, 09:38 PM

Surely the bright sparks at MLS headquarters have thought that far ahead and will start the season a wee bit earlier that year and then take a break, like some leagues do in Europe during the winter.

:noidea:

Cambridge_Red
06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Fucking snow.

Oldtimer
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I think Norway plays in summer. They have the same snow problems we do.

By the way, everyone mentions this "Guevara" fellow. I seem to remember a player by that name, waaayyyy back early on in the season. :p

DigzTFC!
06-11-2008, 10:57 PM
There are really two reasons why MLS doesn't respect FIFA dates:

1) Many teams don't own their stadiums, which causes them to have lack of control over the use and contractual obligation to have events on certain days of the week.

2) The vast majority of MLS fans are not hardcore soccer supporters that show up on weekdays, influencing teams to schedule games only on weekends. Wednesday and Thursday are called primetime because no other games a played on that day except for usually one. FIFA dates are usually one weekends in CONCACAF. Notice how the friendlies were on a weekday.

What it comes down to is drawing more fans at anytime for games in teams' own stadiums. Until that happens, we live in this mess

J .
06-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Edwards
Wynne Tebily Velez Dunivant
Rickets Robbo Harmse Robert
Smith
Lombardo ( I cant bring myself to say Cunningham)

Azerban
06-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Lombardo ( I cant bring myself to say Cunningham)

Right, because Lombardo has managed to score so many more goals than Cunningham has.

TFC_Junky
06-12-2008, 06:56 AM
I agree, this is aweful! WTF is MLS thinking by letting the club matches whither because of international friendlies?!

Shaughno
06-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Right, because Lombardo has managed to score so many more goals than Cunningham has.

:lol: This is what I don't get. The guy has 99 career goals in this league, 3 this season. He knows how to score in this league.

When was the last time Lombardo scored in the MLS....?

Red CB Toronto
06-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Cunny is one goal away from joining a very exclusive group, give this great player the resepct he deserves.

On another note, MLS would get lost if they played within the FIFA season, With the NFL, College Football among other things going on in the fall. I just think MLS could avoid official international dates, that in my mind would not be hard to do, have some policy to not have games on these days.

Fort York Redcoat
06-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Cunny did a job but if it had come earlier than the game would have changed. As for this ridiculous schedule conflict the league is shooting itself in the foot. The mid way point of the season is not even here and supporters are further frustrated watching teams go from moderatly talented to second rate (literally). It's unfair to fans and hurts the growth of the game pushing the club vs country question to the breaking point. I'm not alone in being doubly slighted when the best my country has to offer is subtracted from my club team and I can't even watch what they do. I'll have to try this Jumptv or something but it would be a lot better to view it down the pub a la the preseason.;)

SilverSamurai
06-12-2008, 07:48 AM
:lol: This is what I don't get. The guy has 99 career goals in this league, 3 this season. He knows how to score in this league.

Didn't you hear? Lombardo only scores in friendlies and against EPL squads!;)

Brooker
06-12-2008, 04:49 PM
-------------Dichio---Cunny-----------
--Robert---Robinson--Ricketts--Smith--
--Dunivant--James---Velez-----Wynne--

that lineup would be great all things considered.

JDG
06-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Wynne----Velez------Tebily------James
-------Harmse----------Robinson-------
-----Smith-----Ricketts-----Robert-----
----------------Dichio-----------------

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-12-2008, 05:08 PM

do you dislike the canadian team for their call ups of TFC players? The CSA should have played the u-23 olympic team vs st vincent and let the TFC guys stayed in TO.

TFC_Toon
06-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Exactly, thinking the same thing, he has been gone for what now...2 weeks!............BS.

TFC_Toon
06-12-2008, 06:30 PM

That goal vs Houston was a cracker! Like to see more of this type of finishing from Cunningham. I don't believe he is done with us yet.

TFC_Toon
06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
that lineup would be great all things considered.

This looks favourable, especially that Harmse is not in the lineup, totally ineffective vs Houston......yes I know, most of the squad was. Harmse has not installed any confidence in me through the middle, rather see one of the young lads get a chance.

Bombonera
06-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Has ANyone figured out that they have cell phones in Honduras (Remember Carver's comment a week or so ago?) ? DO we not think that it is time to give the man a call to tell him to get his CULO DEVUELTA EN TORONTO! CARAJO!

Oblio2
06-13-2008, 12:14 PM

Cunningham has lost it and IMHO, complete crap

Northern Soul
06-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Wynne----Velez------James------Dunivant
-------Tebily----------Robinson-------
-----Ricketts-----Robert-----Smith-----
----------------Dichio-----------------

Ossington Mental Youth
06-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Yeah fucking terrible the way hes scored a goal almost every game hes started this year.

I dont mind shipping him out for someone new but lets not doubt him all together. His stock is relatively high right now having scored relatively regularly. Only thing working agaisnt him is his attitude.

Shaughno
06-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Scary how he's complete crap yet started half as many games as Dichio with only one less goal. :noidea:

Carts
06-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Scary how he's complete crap yet started half as many games as Dichio with only one less goal. :noidea:

Well said...

And they each have 1 game-winning-goal...

I'm not posting this to slag Dichio at all - but Cunny gets alot of heat from us for a guy with 3-goals (1 being a game-winner, on the road no less)...

Carts....

MFBODD
06-13-2008, 04:02 PM
MLS really needs to look at this problem. Personally, I view it as major and they have to do something about it. Obviously this isn't unique to Toronto, but when one side doesn't have 5 of their players it's a huge issue. Having that many players out WILL have an impact on the standing, playoffs and championship. It WILL also have an impact on ticket sales, TV ratings and the fan base.

We didn't have a match for 16 days earlier in the season and I may as well camp out and BMO in July...WTF is with that? (I know 4 of those games are friendlies and non league matches for CONCACAF)

All I gotta say in L.A. is DAMN lucky that England failed to reach Euro.

vagigiman
06-14-2008, 01:38 PM
do you dislike the canadian team for their call ups of TFC players? The CSA should have played the u-23 olympic team vs st vincent and let the TFC guys stayed in TO.

That only makes sense, though I guess credibility is an issue the :canada: team.

The situation sucks but no one with budge here I guess. MLS certainly won't and why would FIFA care?

RealG-TFC
06-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I think that's exactly it Ian- what other league plays during the summer?

(if there are some, please forgive my football ignorance)

Norway
Sweden
Russia
Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Belarus

Roogsy
06-14-2008, 01:55 PM
^Those are some real shitty legs. It just occured to me.

Doesn't Japan have a schedule that starts in January or something? Not exactly European, but not exactly North American either.

BakaGaijin
06-14-2008, 02:51 PM
^Those are some real shitty legs. It just occured to me.

Doesn't Japan have a schedule that starts in January or something? Not exactly European, but not exactly North American either.

The J-league starts in March.

rocker
06-14-2008, 08:03 PM
down five players to international duty? WHO CARES!!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!