PDA

View Full Version : Sounders better supported than TFC

Oldtimer
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Part of an article detailing their achievements:

• Sounders Web site, www.SoundersFC.com (http://www.soundersfc.com/), is the most visited and active online community in MLS.
• The site is a supporters' site with user-generated content including blogs, forums, photos and fan feedback.
• Sounders FC has more than 51,000 supporters on Facebook, more than nearly all other MLS clubs combined. Toronto FC is next highest with 11,000-plus.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2010203684_soundersnumbers05.html

We set the model, but we are no longer the top dog.

Kevvv
11-05-2009, 09:54 AM
More FB supporters? They probably have more twits as well.

Who wins on myspace? (I already know the answer....nobody wins on myspace.)

billyfly
11-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Sh*t happens (or doesn't) when you have 3 losing seasons.

Marco2K
11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
well said BILLY

TFC is very lucky it recieves the support it does.!!

Shaughno
11-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Do I care? No. Should I care? No.

billyfly
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I bet the 51,000 are piped into FB.

stugautz
11-05-2009, 10:09 AM
But do they have real grass?

BFin
11-05-2009, 10:10 AM
NOOOOOO!!!! THEY BEAT US ON THE INTER WEBZ!!!
MY e-peen has been reduced to that of a Crew supporter...

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 10:11 AM
they also have a better stadium, better owners and a better (so far)_ squad on the field.

facebook is for girls. (and getting to know them better :ihih: )

canadian_bhoy
11-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Both the Leafs and Raptors have more user generated content than TFC (check leafspace).

Not sure why TFC hasn't starting this as well, but I'm assuming they don't have the budget for it.

Eastend
11-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Well, I'm glad we lost the facebook challenge. No grown man should have a facebook account.

Damien
11-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd like to know aggregate traffic on the main website AND supporters websites... THEN give me a total.

Wagner
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
My Dad could beat up any of their Dads.

It's about as relevant a topic as the number of web hits.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I'd like to know aggregate traffic on the main website AND supporters websites... THEN give me a total.

http://www.galactichero.net/blogphoto/kip.gif

after having been pulled into the middle of the Seattle-Toronto battle before (mostly by my own fault) I'm going to say right now that there are some great things Seattle is doing (and has done) that I wish TFC could also adopt. Seattle has some advantages no other team has - like a huge stadium right next to a MLB stadium (and the games scheduled one after another).

The debate shouldn't be about TFC vs. the Sounders.... it should be about clubs that put supporters first VS. the rest of the league.

billyfly
11-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I also bet they don't freak out about stuff as well as we do.

BFin
11-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Their patience vastly exceeds ours.

I also hear...they have more washrooms.

Bastards.

Whoop
11-05-2009, 10:34 AM
billy... why freak out when you're in the playoffs?

Besides Seattle is a hippie town. So they're not as angry as we are.

billyfly
11-05-2009, 10:38 AM
ANYTIME is FREAKOUT TIME.

BFin
11-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Touche Drew Carey.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 10:40 AM
ANYTIME is DONUT TIME

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/mike24k/PA210244copy.jpg

billyfly
11-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Ain't that the TUROOF!

Beach_Red
11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
ANYTIME is FREAKOUT TIME.

AjsH5mT33Pg

boban
11-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Another case of my dick is bigger than your dick.
Who cares!!!

MartinUtd
11-05-2009, 11:01 AM
haha.. the thing is, it's still a franchise run website.

Bloor West FC
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Who cares! We cheer for the REDS!!

trane
11-05-2009, 11:48 AM

I was going to say something like that. Do I give a shit? No. Should I give a shit? No.

I do care that they have put a better deam on the pitch then us, pretty well from day one. That I do give a shit about.

Damien
11-05-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.galactichero.net/blogphoto/kip.gif

Always and forever... *tear* *sniff*

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm just jealous because you've been talking with babes all day.

trane
11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
If you get the right chain and do rag, you can talk to babes as well.

Damien
11-05-2009, 01:41 PM
^ you both have the WORST reflexes of ALL-TIME!

BFin
11-05-2009, 01:53 PM
TINA! Come get some ham.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm sure there's a babe out there for you too trane.

ps. damiiano -- your mom goes to college.

CretanBull
11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't resent their success - its good for the league, and that's good for us. I will say this though, its easy to support a team in year one when everything is still new and exciting. It's also easy to support a winner. I'm not trying to take anything away from their support, but I'll be more impressed if the stadium is still full once they have 3 losing seasons in a row.

Roogsy
11-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I am not sure I am on the "do I care should I care" bandwagon.

Am I distraught at this? No. In fact, I am proud of what we as TFC fans have all done...there is no Seattle without us. Drew Carey admitted as much.

Will we always be top dog? Meh...the top is a tough place to stay. In fact, it appears we have already been knocked down. Such is life.

What we need to concentrate on is maintaining our form and improving where we can. We need to look at quality as opposed to quantity.

If along the way that propels us back on top...well...I won't be disappointed.

My bigger concern is pushing this team to excel on the management and performance side. I already knew we TFC fans are bringing it...the team and management aren't.

pekduck
11-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I am not sure I am on the "do I care should I care" bandwagon.

Am I distraught at this? No. In fact, I am proud of what we as TFC fans have all done...there is no Seattle without us. Drew Carey admitted as much.

Will we always be top dog? Meh...the top is a tough place to stay. In fact, it appears we have already been knocked down. Such is life.

What we need to concentrate on is maintaining our form and improving where we can. We need to look at quality as opposed to quantity.

If along the way that propels us back on top...well...I won't be disappointed.

My bigger concern is pushing this team to excel on the management and performance side. I already knew we TFC fans are bringing it...the team and management aren't.

+1
:flare:

Blazer
11-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I came in here to scream, “Who cares!” but apparently I’ve been beaten to the punch. I’m glad to know the majority in here share my sentiment.

We’re always comparing.

KrazyKanadian
11-05-2009, 02:07 PM
And yet, if the article came out that said TFC fans were better supporters than Seattle fans, we'd be singing our praises and breaking our elbows to pat ourselves on the back.

A story like Seattle is great for the league, especially one that has troubles filling the stands. I wish half the teams in the MLS had fans with the same enthusiasm as Seattle. It's certainly better than seeing Dallas, KC or Colorado with their poor attendance.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 02:12 PM
And yet, if the article came out that said TFC fans were better supporters than Seattle fans, we'd be singing our praises and breaking our elbows to pat ourselves on the back.

I don't think we would be.

most people would say "well thanks for the compliment, but I'd rather have a team in the playoffs"

most people around here would probably agree with me that there are bigger things than just having our support recognized.

KrazyKanadian
11-05-2009, 02:19 PM

most people would say "well thanks for the compliment, but I'd rather have a team in the playoffs"

most people around here would probably agree with me that there are bigger things than just having our support recognized.

I disagree with the first point. We've been patting ourselves on the backs for two years at how great we are and how we surpassed DC, and then in came Seattle who immediately raised the bar, and all we did was say "yeah, psshhhh, I don't care. It's not about who is #1"

trane
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
^ you both have the WORST reflexes of ALL-TIME!

Yes, we do. That is becasue we do not get to spend as much time outdoors exercising as you country folks do.

Roogsy, I agree, and in the long run if support lags, it would effect the team negatively, in different ways. But right now most of us are more concenred about the on the pitch part of things.

Oldtimer
11-05-2009, 02:21 PM

You remember season 1 too, eh? ;)

CretanBull
11-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I disagree with the first point. We've been patting ourselves on the backs for two years at how great we are and how we surpassed DC, and then in came Seattle who immediately raised the bar, and all we did was say "yeah, psshhhh, I don't care. It's not about who is #1"

Side note: I don't think we ever passed DC.

trane
11-05-2009, 02:25 PM

I agree with you. The end is near. 2012.

dupont
11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
We’re always comparing.

The next article is going to compare the average penis size of the supporters groups.

Pookie
11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Does Seattle have their own TV channel? We could probably count up the eyeballs there in this pissing contest.

Seattle's in the playoffs and we are not. I think that statement just about begins and ends any argument as to which club is better in the "Things That Mattered In 2009."

Nomad
11-05-2009, 02:32 PM

Numbers yes.

Quality, at times we've surpassed but overall i would agree with you.

Everyone said this would happen. "Give it a few years" they all said. It's certainly tapered down and i think it's going to taper even more next season but i would still say it hasn't been as sharp of a drop as most other MLS club supporters expected.

I see the same thing happening in Seattle over the next couple of years. They have a good thing going but an amount of people are just there because it's the new thing in town.

I don't actually follow other teams but i do hope other clubs get better support bases. Not that i want other supporters to keep challenging us to strive for better. I don't believe in resting on laurels and nothing motivates more than seeing someone else do something.

Pookie
11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
^ how would you measure "tapered down"?

Is it a subjective notion as to how "loud" it is? Ultimately, they will sell out again next year so by ticket sales, the support hasn't really dwindled at all. In fact, by raising ticket prices and still selling out you could argue that support and market penetration is strong. Merchandise sales would also indicate a strong following.

If we are measuring "loudness", you will find a direct correlation to the on field performance. I am a Chelsea supporter and Stamford Bridge can be a very quiet place to watch a game in the early stages. But a goal or close match gets the masses going. I don't think anyone could argue that Chelsea support is tapering based on the noise they hear at various points during a match.

It can be challenging to bring enthusiasm and sing "... it's plain to see, Toronto's the greatest in history... " when your club is losing 5-0 to the Red Bulls. Fans will sing... if the team gives them something to sing about.

KrazyKanadian
11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't believe in resting on laurels and nothing motivates more than seeing someone else do something.

Thank-you. Someone finally see the light.

Nomad
11-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Tapered down as in enthusiasm or as many people around. From Season 1 until now it seemed to me there was way more people around, still excited and ready to give all, way more talk on the various boards, way more people coming around to the various pubs after the match. etc etc etc

I think i have a slightly different definition of support (as oppose to fan) so i would say that Stamford Bridge is not well supported. Hooliganism really killed support in England now with the terraces gone, all seater stadiums, no standing, expensive tickets etc etc etc

FluSH
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Exactly....

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't actually follow other teams but i do hope other clubs get better support bases. Not that i want other supporters to keep challenging us to strive for better. I don't believe in resting on laurels and nothing motivates more than seeing someone else do something.

so who's been resting on their laurels? It sure as hell hasn't been us.

brad
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't think anyone could argue that Chelsea support is tapering based on the noise they hear at various points during a match.

Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt Chelsea has tapered down - over the last decade or two. This is not a knock on Chelsea, it's happened to all the big EPL teams - they've priced most of the folks that make the noise out, and filled the stadiums with tourists.

flatpicker
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Huh? What's all the commotion? Keep it down!
I'm trying to rest on my laurels here!

brad
11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Tapered down as in enthusiasm or as many people around. From Season 1 until now it seemed to me there was way more people around, still excited and ready to give all, way more talk on the various boards, way more people coming around to the various pubs after the match. etc etc etc

Vocal support for the team outside the supporters sections pretty much died this year.

Nomad
11-05-2009, 03:18 PM
so who's been resting on their laurels? It sure as hell hasn't been us.

Relax guy, i wasn't calling out RPB with that statement.

There are a fair amount of people who have been. Funny enough i find it's mostly with people who've never really put in the work to begin with.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Relax guy, i wasn't calling out RPB with that statement.

There are a fair amount of people who have been. Funny enough i find it's mostly with people who've never really put in the work to begin with.

and 98% of them don't read supporters message boards. You know consider your audience.

I'll agree that the average fan is a lot less into the TFC games than they were, but watching sub-par football will do that to some people.

Nomad
11-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm not gonna dive too much into this, i'd rather talk about this kind of stuff in person...but being a member of an SG doesn't make you a supporter. RPB do good things and have some good people but not everyone in RPB is putting in effort and you, who films a lot of it, know that. Most of the SGs have less numbers than they did in the first 2 seasons. I'm saying that without hard concrete fact of membership lists but more from my own eye. That's not neccessarily a bad thing...weeding people out.

I've done things for a few RPB in the past so if i was all anti-RPB i've been failing myself miserably.

I'm not talking on the subject of fans as i see fans and supporters as two different things.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
well then we get into the whole 'sliding scale of support' debate, which is no fun.

let's say (just for fun) that supporters are ranked from * to *****.
The seattle stadium is full of *** level supporters. BMO is mostly * with pockets of **** and *****.

I've met a few RPB's who are *** (comparable to the general standers in Seattle) but none who are *.

this hurts my head.

Roogsy
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
well then we get into the whole 'sliding scale of support' debate, which is no fun.

let's say (just for fun) that supporters are ranked from * to *****.
The seattle stadium is full of *** level supporters. BMO is mostly * with pockets of **** and *****.

I've met a few RPB's who are *** (comparable to the general standers in Seattle) but none who are *.

this hurts my head.

It's numbers baby...I LOVE IT!

trane
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I want to say ********becasue **********and ***before *****football****supporter*********FORZA MILAN*******. Rant over.

You know what I mean.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 03:42 PM
and by the way.... you know the apple slogan "It's just work" ?? that's a load of *********

trane
11-05-2009, 03:44 PM

TFC Tifoso
11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
yeah, this whole "we have the best supporters" thing is getting very old.....ummm, how about having the best TEAM......

trane
11-05-2009, 03:46 PM
^ I am all for having teh best TEAM.

Keeping support up, increases the chances of us having the best team, but that is a two way street.

Nomad
11-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes, i think we're all mostly on the same page here, just arguing over semantics.

I'd LOVE to have the best team but that's ultimately up to the FO.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
yeah, this whole "we have the best supporters" thing is getting very old.....ummm, how about having the best TEAM......

again... who's saying that?

99% of the people on this board are saying "Wins on the field > Everything else"

Nomad
11-05-2009, 03:55 PM

99% of the people on this board are saying "Wins on the field > Everything else"

Isn't the very basis of this thread indicative to having this conversation? He didn't say anyone here said it, but it has been something that's been said many times in the past.

Oh Parkie, grab a coffee, light a smoke, inhale, relax. It'd be all good times. :D:D

KrazyKanadian
11-05-2009, 04:02 PM
The point of all of this is: We (everyone...this was never an SG vs SG discussion) should be doing the best we can for this team.

TFC Tifoso
11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
^ I am all for having teh best TEAM.

Keeping support up, increases the chances of us having the best team, but that is a two way street.

how?....I think the two are independant from eachother.

where do you get this 99% figure from?....I call bullshit! :D.....oh, and whatever Nomad said

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
^ by putting people down our own supporters as back slappers who are "resting on their laurels"?

this is the mood I get in when I have to work on Macs. OSX RAGE

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 04:04 PM

where do you get this 99% figure from?....I call bullshit! :D.....oh, and whatever Nomad said

you should know that when someone says '99%', it's not meant to be taken as an exact figure.

sheesh.

KrazyKanadian
11-05-2009, 04:08 PM
^ by putting people down our own supporters as back slappers who are "resting on their laurels"?

You're really raging over this? Time to back away from the keyboard, Parky.

TFC Tifoso
11-05-2009, 04:10 PM

no, never meant to do that......just never been able to understand how being the best supported team had anything to do with TFC's success, aside from financial.

hey don't blame me.....blame the Mac guy in the commercials :D

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 04:10 PM
no, I'm mad because I'm trying to install a video card on a mac, and mac suck.

Nomad
11-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Huh?

Really?

That's what you got?

"I don't believe in resting on laurels and nothing motivates more than seeing someone else do something." is the quote. Where in that quote does it say so and so was doing that? You're really grasping at straws and taking things out of context.

Do i believe in resting on laurels? No.

Do i believe RPB are? Not really, you guys really stepped it up last season and i've said as much to a number of you in person. I don't believe in cutting others down to big myself up when it's not based on fact.

Do i believe other people have rested on laurels? Yes, most certainly there have been.

Am i afraid of getting comfortable with the level of support? Yes, i don't believe in being stagnant. Always strive for bigger and better, which is what that quote above was really saying. It wasn't a calling out, it was a calling to arms.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 04:15 PM
It wasn't a calling out, it was a calling to arms.

the line between 'calling out' and 'calling to arms' is very, very thin.

and if you believe that many people are infact resting on their laurels
(not that I disagree with that) -- why would you say it here?
Those people aren't here to read it.

KrazyKanadian
11-05-2009, 04:20 PM

What? I didn't write that.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
^ sorry, misquote -- it was from nomad's post right above mine.

(I had a multi quote on, but cleared the wrong one) stupid computers!

Nomad
11-05-2009, 04:23 PM

I say get a thicker skin. ;):D

Some are here to read it. Let's face it, this board is populated by far more than just RPB members..and that's the people who actually post! I'm sure there's a shit ton of lurkers as well.

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 04:29 PM
this board is populated by far more than just RPB members..

yeah, no kidding. I saw at least 6 of you guys in here at the same time.

makes me think you've got an email alert system set up or something ;)

KrazyKanadian
11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
yeah, no kidding. I saw at least 6 of you guys in here at the same time.

What is that supposed to mean?

Nomad
11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
At least we use the same board names. ;) :p

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 04:33 PM
At least we use the same board names. ;) :p

because we don't delete your accounts ;) :p

Nomad
11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Except for TO Devils.

Anyways...this is getting way off track. Get the sand out of your box and let's get back on topic.

Allez l'OL!...oh wait, wrong topic again.

:D

Parkdale
11-05-2009, 04:36 PM
^ at his request.

anyway.... let's get back on topic.

sounders have a good thing going. The rest of the league (owners in particular) could learn something.

Hitcho
11-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure what "better supported" (from the thread title) is supposed to mean.

To Dichio, it means that game days don't feel like a family day out. I can't speak for Seattle because I've never been to Qwest, but I know what it's like at BMO Field, and you continually hear people outside of TFC saying we have SOME OF the support in the league at our place.

Personally, I don't give a crap how many people visit a website. That's not supporting a team, that's reading a website. I'm not sure I'd be too thrilled about being labelled as the team with the most people who read. That's not a dig at Seattle, good for them that they have so many people follownig the SOunders and long may that last. But seriously, "better supported" = more people reading stuff? Pfft.

Pookie
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Don't knock the Mac...talk about supporters... Mac addicts are like a cult... I used to work for Apple.... that's all I can say about that... maybe I've said too much already...

Jack
11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Except for TO Devils.

Anyways...this is getting way off track. Get the sand out of your box and let's get back on topic.

Allez l'OL!...oh wait, wrong topic again.

Got a PM from TO Devils specifically requesting his account be deleted and I complied with his request. Is there a problem with that? He is always welcome to register here again whenever he pleases.

trane
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
^ Jack were have you been man???

trane
11-05-2009, 07:26 PM

A better supported team, has a better chance, and I underline chance, to succeed, becuase a better supported team, should, and I underline should, have higher revenues, which shuold mean that the club should have more resources toward building a better club.

Clealry it does not always work, TFC is a good example.

But I am only translating support in terms of numbers, not quality of TIFO, ect. Althougt that can contributed to attendace, in that people want to be there. Again TFC is a good example the Atmosphere has been the best draw in the first three seasons.

zeelaw
11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
TEY ARE DaY WEBERNET STARZZZZZ

Jack
11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
^ Jack were have you been man???
Around.:)

Very busy with work and family stuff lately.

v00d00daddy
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
A better supported team, has a better chance, and I underline chance, to succeed, becuase a better supported team, should, and I underline should, have higher revenues, which shuold mean that the club should have more resources toward building a better club.

But I am only translating support in terms of numbers, not quality of TIFO, ect. Althougt that can contributed to attendace, in that people want to be there. Again TFC is a good example the Atmosphere has been the best draw in the first three seasons.

I disagree with you here Trane.

Seattle is good, regardless of how good their support is.
TFC is bad, regardless of how good their support is.

There are examples throughout soccer and every other sport in the world.

Supporting a team is for the supporters, imo. It makes people feel a part of the club. I think it's great and it makes game days and away trips a whole lot better.

That being said...I personally don't think support has any effect on the product on the field. It may, in specific instances, give the team a little boost...but over the long haul...it matters very, very, very little.

TFC could have had 65 thousand supporters in NY in that last game and it wouldn't have changed anything...imo. Supporters don't change tactics or give players the magical ability to make good decisions with the ball and their positioning.

A dysfunctional team on the field will always be dysfunctional...no matter how co-ordinated their supporters are in the stands.

Seattle can have the best supporters tag. Who gives a shit. We should be more worried about eclipsing them in quality of play, not quantity of supporters.

TFC Tifoso
11-05-2009, 08:51 PM

I would say this is not true for MLS.....in Europe, yes.

Agree with the last point though.

Brooker
11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Seattle can't sing songs for Danny Dichio.

Game. Set. Match.

TFC07
11-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Meh....Seattle support is nice and all, but I still prefer more European/International style support that TFC has over Seattle's college/american type of support. I can't wait when Vancouver and Montreal come to MLS since they're probably other teams capable of bringing more european/international falvour in terms of support in the league.

koryo
11-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Couldn't say it any better.

Oldtimer
11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I knew when I started this thread, that a discussion like this would garner a lot of interest in the off-season. After all, with a team as poor as we've had, fan support is the only good thing we've got going. I predicted to myself over 100 replies in one day, it was just under that! Of course, a lot of people said "who cares?" However, the fact that they read the article and bothered posting that they didn't care showed the exact opposite.

Parkdale
11-06-2009, 10:32 AM
After all, with a team as poor as we've had, fan support is the only good thing we've got going.

I disagree. There are many BIG things to look forward to next year, some of which are already underway. Yes the team has fan support, but it also has: natural grass coming in, a full offseason to train with their DP, and a new coach coming in*. There are good things in the works, well beyond just the support the team has.

*I honestly think the new coach will do a better job than Mo, John or Chris ever did. Maybe it's dumb optimism on my part, but I think this time they all know that they need a winner. Hell.... if Seattle can lure Zigi away from a team the year after they won the cup.... anything is possible.

*edit: I was typing before you closed it. sorry.

Oldtimer
11-06-2009, 10:34 AM
It's okay, I re-opened it. I think there's more discussion to be had, after all.

Parkdale
11-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I think there's more discussion to be had, after all.

very true.

here's a side-question based on the Seattle V. Toronto thing...

What has Seattle done right that Toronto did wrong?
It's like they started in almost the same places (good fanbase, downtown stadium, put supporters first etc etc) but we just can't compare to their on field success. You know what I think it all comes down to ---- coaching. Clearly fan support isn't what wins you games (even though I've been chastised for saying that before) -- so it's got to be coaching, and maybe a DP who's had time to train with the squad.

ag futbol
11-06-2009, 10:44 AM

I think he has a point though... What's capped in MLS: the salaries of the players, everything else is up in the air.

Examples:

1) Training facilities
2) coaching staff and scouts (DC United as of last year was the only team with a dedicated scout).
3) extra equipment and resources (like pro-zone, TFC is the only team which had purchased it last time i checked).

4) ancillary services provided to players (TFC has been quite good at this BTW).

If those are used properly, they can definately make a difference in determining a team's success. America college sports is a good example of that (although lots of players get paid under the table).

TFC vs. Seattle ... non-issue accept it should drive everybody to support this team better, because there's always work to be done. I'm happy there are other teams in this league that aren't a complete joke and get well supported. Article on internet says Seattle better supported, who give a f?

s2cazz
11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.pcox.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/oops.jpg

vs

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Dichio_tifo_09.jpg

that is all....

I think we as supporters have much more to be proud of than the Seatlle SG's

Parkdale
11-06-2009, 10:51 AM
^ still, that's comparing their first year to our third year. Not really a fair comparison.

(but I still like ours better)

Parkdale
11-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I think he has a point though... What's capped in MLS: the salaries of the players, everything else is up in the air.

Examples:

1) Training facilities... etc

very good points. We've talked about it many times in the past around here.
If TFC can be more 'competitive' than other MLS clubs because of the salary cap,
then they need to put the money where it will make a difference. Perfect example: Paul Winsper.

trane
11-06-2009, 03:18 PM

I was going to put the caviat there then in MLS it only helps as far as having more money for a DP, in theory. But in a sallary caped league its influence is limited. Agreed.

agFootball, I was thinking along the same lines as well as far as help in the MLS.

Vdaddy, I do not disagree with you, my only point is that better support should mean more funds in the clubs coffers, which can be used to better teh squad, as for a direct corlolation between the product on the pitch and the quality of support I think that it is limited, as best.

TFC Tifoso
11-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Examples:

1) Training facilities
2) coaching staff and scouts (DC United as of last year was the only team with a dedicated scout).
3) extra equipment and resources (like pro-zone, TFC is the only team which had purchased it last time i checked).

4) ancillary services provided to players (TFC has been quite good at this BTW).

If those are used properly, they can definately make a difference in determining a team's success. America college sports is a good example of that (although lots of players get paid under the table).

TFC vs. Seattle ... non-issue accept it should drive everybody to support this team better, because there's always work to be done. I'm happy there are other teams in this league that aren't a complete joke and get well supported. Article on internet says Seattle better supported, who give a f?

ok, fair points, I can buy that......but at the end of the day it all comes down to having the right talent and the right person to guide that talent.

boban
11-06-2009, 03:36 PM
very good points. We've talked about it many times in the past around here.
If TFC can be more 'competitive' than other MLS clubs because of the salary cap,
then they need to put the money where it will make a difference. Perfect example: Paul Winsper.
I don't understand. Are you serious or is this sarcasm?

CretanBull
11-06-2009, 03:41 PM
They have the ugliest jerseys in the league, maybe the world.

trane
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
^ Realy, I kind of like their jersey?

The ugliest jersey in my view is Columbus, hands down.

Rudi
11-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Tim Regan is TFC's dedicated scout, and has been since the beginning of 2008.

I don't understand. Are you serious or is this sarcasm?
Why would it be sarcasm?

You're not one of those people who actually put the "last 15 minutes collapse" conundrum on Winsper, when it had zero to do with fitness, are you?

CretanBull
11-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, you won't catch me saying anything good about Columbus, but blue and green don't really go well together...and that shade of green and that shade of blue just clash.

Beach_Red
11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
here's a side-question based on the Seattle V. Toronto thing...

What has Seattle done right that Toronto did wrong?
It's like they started in almost the same places (good fanbase, downtown stadium, put supporters first etc etc) but we just can't compare to their on field success. You know what I think it all comes down to ---- coaching. Clearly fan support isn't what wins you games (even though I've been chastised for saying that before) -- so it's got to be coaching, and maybe a DP who's had time to train with the squad.

In a salary-cap league with small rosters the talent levels will be very similar from team to team over a whole season and so, yes, the coaching makes a huge difference.

What Seattle did that Toronto didn't was break the rules and tamper. Then, when they got caught, they gave Columbus a pile of money and the league said, okay fine. there were also a bunch of rumours when they got Montero on "loan" about what really happened, but again, this league is never going to say anything to the Seattle ownership group because they're so desperate to have them in the league.

Chances are MLSE could act like that, too, but they don't.

CretanBull
11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Why would it be sarcasm?

You're not one of those people who actually put the "last 15 minutes collapse" conundrum on Winsper, when it had zero to do with fitness, are you?

Not that I blame Winsper, but I don't think that it could be said that our late-game collapse had nothing to do with fitness. Often our players looked gassed towards the end of games...

trane
11-06-2009, 04:08 PM

I am not sure that it does or does not, but I have questioned our fitness on more then one occasion, because we do seem to lose steam toward the end of the game. When you are a defender, slowing down or reacting evan a touch slower can be the differnce between a good stop and a good chance for the other team. I am not sure that it is the porblem, I also think that it is simily a lack of concetration and overal poor tactical play/decisiosn. But I think that there is reason to quesiton our fitness.

Rudi
11-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Not that I blame Winsper, but I don't think that it could be said that our late-game collapse had nothing to do with fitness. Often our players looked gassed towards the end of games...
Our players looked gassed because they were playing a system that should have been called the "Headless Chicken Formation."

Players are not robots, and chasing the ball around for 90 minutes of each game is going to tire them out, no matter how fit they are.

Winsper's track record really shone in the very small amount of injuries we've suffered as a team over the past two years. Most of our injuries were the results of collisions or previous chronic injuries that players brought with them to the team.

Hell, even Sir-Cramps-a-Lot (Barrett) was able to play many more 90 minute games after Winsper worked with him versus when he first got here. This despite him spending three years in Chicago and rarely finishing games.

ag futbol
11-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Tim Regan is TFC's dedicated scout, and has been since the beginning of 2008.

What has this guy been doing the entire time ? He's been pretty quiet. Hope this one is better than our "pro-zone analyst" which is really code for the guy Mo drinks with at the bar.

And yes I would say a large part of our late game antics has been down to coaching strategy and substitutions. But then again, Winsper wasn't carrying the most solid rep over here from Europe. There was a lot of stuff out there about his methods being outdated and overtraining being as issue.

boban
11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Why would it be sarcasm?

Not totally his but he is no beacon of light in the organization either.

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 05:11 PM
The debate shouldn't be about TFC vs. the Sounders.... it should be about clubs that put supporters first VS. the rest of the league.

^^^

QFT!

Keep writing stuff like this Parkdale and perhaps we will forget your strange foray into that "ACES" darkside.

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Meh....Seattle support is nice and all, but I still prefer more European/International style support that TFC has over Seattle's college/american type of support. I can't wait when Vancouver and Montreal come to MLS since they're probably other teams capable of bringing more european/international falvour in terms of support in the league.

Dude, what are you talking about?! Have you ever BEEN to Seattle? We have the most European atmosphere in the league. From the marching to through the streets with flares from the pubs around the stadium before the match....

lnbSb6QJMiQ

..to the songs and chants in the stadium everyone from ESPN to major league soccer talk afree Seattle has a European atmosphere.

wj2t8Xq6UZk

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/seattle-meet-houston-american-soccer-meet-both/6969

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.pcox.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/oops.jpg

vs

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Dichio_tifo_09.jpg

that is all....

I think we as supporters have much more to be proud of than the Seatlle SG's

Erm....

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v360/97/48/47507107/n47507107_32123432_7307.jpg

http://www.brazbit.us/images/Sounders/gtihtf/GT14.png

Rudi
11-06-2009, 06:18 PM
^ Was that march planned for you by your FO like all the others?

trane
11-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Erm....

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v360/97/48/47507107/n47507107_32123432_7307.jpg

Go drink some coffe tree hugging hippy.

trane
11-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Dude, what are you talking about?! Have you ever BEEN to Seattle? We have the most European atmosphere in the league. From the marching to through the streets with flares from the pubs around the stadium before the match....

lnbSb6QJMiQ

..to the songs and chants in the stadium everyone from ESPN to major league soccer talk afree Seattle has a European atmosphere.

wj2t8Xq6UZk

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/seattle-meet-houston-american-soccer-meet-both/6969

Fuck you pinko commie protester shite. Get off our boards.

trane
11-06-2009, 06:24 PM
By the way I am no complteley serious. But get the fuck of our boards, clearly you have your own go there.

s2cazz
11-06-2009, 07:21 PM
ZHUquq8DUBY

kind of reminds me of our old friend evil bert

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 07:28 PM
^ Was that march planned for you by your FO like all the others?

:picard:

ECS has been marching to Sounders matches at Qwest since the USL days. The front office got behind it after ECS members told Drew Carey about it. No one planned anything for us. We've been marching for years. The front office just liked the idea and made a bigger deal of it. Kinda like the Charlie Davie's salute. Started with ECS, Drew Carey got wind of it and it becomes a bigger thing...

http://www.randomnesspersonified.com/Images/Sounders/10-24-09/Charlie-Davies-3.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/ilyg6q.jpg

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 07:30 PM
By the way I am no complteley serious. But get the fuck of our boards, clearly you have your own go there.

Just settin' the record straight? Why the hate? "Pinko"? "Commie"? You sound like a Crew supporter....

;)

jokes of course.

dupont
11-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Why are you on our board? I don't go cruising the Houston Dynamo forums or anything. I'm not mad or anything.. just curious.

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
ZHUquq8DUBY

I'll see you three actors for a Seattle based insurance company advert and raise you a whole slew of actors for a Montreal based bank..

AduWZk_Kxsw

:hump:

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Why are you on our board? I don't go cruising the Houston Dynamo forums or anything. I'm not mad or anything.. just curious.

Cause it gets boring hearing the same stuff over and over from other other Sounders supporters and no other team in MLS has supporters like us, except you guys. I learn more about Canadian footy through this site and the Voyagers.

Brooker
11-06-2009, 07:38 PM
it's kinda cute. reminds me of us during our first year...

STS, in 3 years... you'll be embarrassed by this boasting.

shouldn't you be going down to Houston right now? Bring a Tifo and hang it upside down, too.

Cause it gets boring hearing the same stuff over and over from other other Sounders supporters and no other team in MLS has supporters like us, except you guys. I learn more about Canadian footy through this site and the Voyagers.

DC has both of us trumped, I believe.

ArmenJBX
11-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Sigh...silly flounder...

I shall refer you to www.aces.com (http://aces09.aceboard.com/index.php?login=331174)

Take your "My Dick is bigger" bullshit elsewhere, to people who give two shits. We don't need a flounder to tell us what support is or is not. Here's the deal buddy, we MAKE our traditions, you're TOLD what to do. ECS has been around for a much longer time, I know. But you let Drew Carey/FO do everything. As a TFC supporter, we have culture. We know that the Dichio song will be sung at 23:13. We know that our chants are our own. We are certainly doing better than "SEATTLE!" "SOUNDERS!" (Which, oddly enough, is the same chant soccer mom's cry out at their child's little league games....)

Here's the fact. You may have 35,000 per match. You may have all the little bells and whistles. You may have all the initial success (which, by all means, you've earned, based on the quality on the field) But in the end of the day, silly flounder, you have much to learn. Your supporter group was overshadowed by the Front Office. Everything you had as a tradition was auctioned off to the highest bidder. You're march became a farce, your supporters group lost in a sea of green, and the "Sounders till I die" up on the jumbo screens for thousands of one-time showups to sing, losing all meaning. For christ's sakes man, a freaking marching band in the middle of the field? And you're telling me you're the better supporter? Really?

You've lost your identity, flounder. ECS is just along for the show now...

Just my two cents

Redcoe15
11-06-2009, 08:12 PM
I'll see you three actors for a Seattle based insurance company advert and raise you a whole slew of actors for a TORONTO based bank..

AduWZk_Kxsw

FIXED! They moved their operational headquarters to Toronto in 1977.

You're welcome. ;) :D

Brooker
11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5730/manboobsqwest.jpg
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae107/Aces_420/obamasaces.jpg

twistedchinaman
11-06-2009, 08:29 PM
And we care about this, why?

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 08:36 PM
it's kinda cute. reminds me of us during our first year...

STS, in 3 years... you'll be embarrassed by this boasting.

shouldn't you be going down to Houston right now? Bring a Tifo and hang it upside down, too.

Nah, we rather copy your upside down banner.

"Sounders Supporters Untie!"

DC has both of us trumped, I believe.

Agreed.

Sea Tac Sounder
11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Sigh...silly flounder...

I shall refer you to www.aces.com (http://aces09.aceboard.com/index.php?login=331174)

Take your "My Dick is bigger" bullshit elsewhere, to people who give two shits. We don't need a flounder to tell us what support is or is not. Here's the deal buddy, we MAKE our traditions, you're TOLD what to do. ECS has been around for a much longer time, I know. But you let Drew Carey/FO do everything. As a TFC supporter, we have culture. We know that the Dichio song will be sung at 23:13. We know that our chants are our own. We are certainly doing better than "SEATTLE!" "SOUNDERS!" (Which, oddly enough, is the same chant soccer mom's cry out at their child's little league games....)

Here's the fact. You may have 35,000 per match. You may have all the little bells and whistles. You may have all the initial success (which, by all means, you've earned, based on the quality on the field) But in the end of the day, silly flounder, you have much to learn. Your supporter group was overshadowed by the Front Office. Everything you had as a tradition was auctioned off to the highest bidder. You're march became a farce, your supporters group lost in a sea of green, and the "Sounders till I die" up on the jumbo screens for thousands of one-time showups to sing, losing all meaning. For christ's sakes man, a freaking marching band in the middle of the field? And you're telling me you're the better supporter? Really?

You've lost your identity, flounder. ECS is just along for the show now...

Just my two cents

People who support (and copy stuff from ACES) are a sad lot who usually support teams like Clownbus, Coloradno, San Jose (fold it again already), and F*C* Dallas....

Not good company to keep. You're better than that lot.

ArmenJBX
11-06-2009, 08:42 PM
People who support (and copy stuff from Portland) are a sad lot who usually march to games, sing the same chant, have a marching band (fold it already), and love their F* O*....

Not good clubs to keep. MLS is better than that lot.

MUFC_Niagara
11-06-2009, 09:03 PM

^^^
OK, honestly, who was behind this idea??? As soon as I saw this I turned to my father and said "that is embarrassing." Boy was I right. This is the 3rd SG to post this on here and laugh, and rightly so. "We Deserve Better"....in year 2....really? :facepalm:

Now fuck off to your own board Seattle scum. I hope Freddie breaks his fucking leg in Houston!

MUFC_Niagara
11-06-2009, 09:07 PM
ZHUquq8DUBY

Ok, Sea Tac, that was pretty gay....very gay, I think it was the chest bump. You have to admit....was that a try out for a cheerleading competition?

Brooker
11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Nah, we rather copy your upside down banner.

which one was that? got a picture?

why are you trolling here anyways?

s2cazz
11-06-2009, 10:54 PM
I'll see you three actors for a Seattle based insurance company advert and raise you a whole slew of actors for a Montreal based bank..

AduWZk_Kxsw

I actual enjoy that commercial... and thats what it is a TV Commercial... That was real fans trying to win a contest sponsored by an insurance company... thats a little different.

its like the announcer at BMO making an announcement after 23:13 that todays Dichio 24 was brought to you by Carlsberg.

ArmenJBX
11-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I actual enjoy that commercial... and thats what it is a TV Commercial... That was real fans trying to win a contest sponsored by an insurance company... thats a little different.

its like the announcer at BMO making an announcement after 23:13 that todays Dichio 24 was brought to you by Carlsberg.

QFT!!

s2cazz
11-06-2009, 11:03 PM
fuck that flounder anyways. We as supporters have a lot to be proud. Maybe not as much as far as on-the-field goes but in the fans we have accomplished a lot. I'm not going to sit here and say "Hey... we're the greatest!" Because there are others in the MLS that do impress me as well (ex. Section 8, Barra Brava, and the Riot Squad just because of the whole fan calling out Golden Balls incident).

The Dichio Banner was a feat in itself. We have a decent arsenal of Chants. we may have some unity issues with other Toronto SG's but we are relatively on the same page. Everything we do is OURS. not FO's and we do it without FO. We have traditions already in year 3. We have a march that does just fine without a sponsor or a Marching Band. I'm proud of what we have. Am I satisfied? No and I never will be because things can always be better and the way things work around here they will always get better and that is why I am proud to be a supporter. We don't need FO to make it better we will do it ourselves.

I do wish we had better quality on the field but I think we are atleast moving in the right direction.

MUFC_Niagara
11-06-2009, 11:28 PM
lnbSb6QJMiQ

I do like the Cock Sparrer song....one of my favoruite bands ;)

WI2NYRhlM30

TFC07
11-07-2009, 12:05 AM

lnbSb6QJMiQ

wj2t8Xq6UZk

LMAO!

BTW ESPN is a joke! What do they know about soccer and soccer culture? I remember when RPB did a video on their Seattle away trip (you know that video that MLS rumours posted on their site), one of fans they (RPB) interviewed said exactly same thing I said in my post. This person actually been to soccer games all over the world.

Oldtimer
11-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Let's give the Seattle fan a bit of a break. In our first year, some of us often went to other club's sites, and I don't think we realized how freaking annoying it can be.

I think some of the enthusiasm that Seattle is showing does come from having a winning team. BMO would certainly be a great playoff venue for a real contender. However, Seattle's winning ways were done by tampering and shady under-the-table deals, certainly something I wouldn't want TFC to be involved in.

FluSH
11-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Erm....

Spraypaint and stencils?

Redpunkfiddle
11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Well, when you post a thread that compares our support to another club's you are asking for outside commentary.

Unless you use the handy Member's Lounge.

Nomad
11-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I saw them play Chicago last month. :cool:

I do like the Cock Sparrer song....one of my favoruite bands ;)

WI2NYRhlM30

James Oliphant
11-07-2009, 03:11 PM
This entire thread =

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/images/smilies/wank.gif

MUFC_Niagara
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I saw them play Chicago last month. :cool:

Nice, who else played the show?

Shakes McQueen
11-08-2009, 07:58 PM

You really could have closed the thread after this.

MLS will have truly arrived a league, when it's supporters stop arguing over insane, self-conscious things like "whose matchday atmosphere is more European-y".

Seattle are a great club, with great support. But it's pretty clear that there are many supporters of both clubs that have some serious self-esteem issues.

I'm Red until I die, and I will support them for that reason - not because I want to run home after the game and look for press clippings of people talking about how great we are, and how closely our support emulates that of another country.

I loved that Dichio banner because of what the man meant to us, and what it must have meant to him - not because I knew I could show it off around the internet to the other team SG's, and brag about how great our fans are.

Some folks are really losing perspective on what this is supposed to be all about. For the boys on the field, not to glorify ourselves, or our efforts.

- Scott

Roogsy
11-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Some folks are really losing perspective on what this is supposed to be all about. For the boys on the field, not to glorify ourselves, or our efforts.

Word, word and word Scotty.

billyfly
11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I just quickly reviewed the thread and I can't believe no one compared this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Toronto%27s_CN_Tower.jpg/399px-Toronto%27s_CN_Tower.jpg

553.33 metres (1,815.4 ft) tall

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/61/VolunteerParkNeedle.jpg/464px-VolunteerParkNeedle.jpg
605 feet (184 m)

Shouldn't this settle it? We is bigger and badder!

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Seattle fans are really into their club..cheering, chanting, flags and banners etc. we only get that in the southend, so yes they are ahead of us in that department. but TO sports fans are all quiet in general, Leafs, Jays Argo, Raptors only the Rock and TFC fans make any kind of noise..one thing we dont have thank god is a marching band in the stands...yet!!

Brooker
11-08-2009, 11:05 PM
and once again mightytfc08 has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Nomad
11-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Nice, who else played the show?

Lower Class Brats
Flatfoot 56
Fear City

BFin
11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
and once again mightytfc08 has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.
He's bacccckkkkkkkk

Parkdale
11-09-2009, 01:09 PM

^^^
OK, honestly, who was behind this idea???

if you don't know, PM me and I'll tell you.

BFin
11-09-2009, 01:28 PM
if you don't know, PM me and I'll tell you.
Don't the flags give it away?

Nomad
11-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Actually, they don't.

TFC Tifoso
11-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Actually, they don't.

+1...but I'd like to hear the explanation :)

KrazyKanadian
11-09-2009, 02:27 PM
It's been a year and we still don't have our butter.

CoachGT
11-09-2009, 02:30 PM
It's been a year and we still don't have our butter.

It's being stored in a gravy boat

Pookie
11-09-2009, 02:51 PM
So true Shakes.

If I'm a Burnley supporter, I'm checking the papers to see how in the hell they managed to blow a 2-0 lead but yet still come back on the road and earn a 3-3 draw against City.

I'm not at all worried about whether Burnley fans were louder or more organized.

If I'm a City fan... well, I might check out a Toronto Maple Leafs forum to see how in the hell an overpaid team could underachieve. I might get some pointers on coping but I'm sure not going to compare you tube clips of Burnley fans chanting.

pekduck
11-09-2009, 02:54 PM
agree with shakes too

so.. should we not close this tread?

Parkdale
11-09-2009, 03:01 PM

actually not this time. they were part of the march (along with many RPB's too), but not the builders of the banners.

whatever, it was a long time ago and we still don't have our butter.

KrazyKanadian
11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Reality is getting in the way of perception.

trane
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
actually not this time. they were part of the march (along with many RPB's too), but not the builders of the banners.

whatever, it was a long time ago and we still don't have our butter.

One of our defenders may as well be made of butter, does that count?

TFC07
11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
One of our defenders may as well be made of butter, does that count?

Just one of our defenders?

Oldtimer
11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
agree with shakes too

so.. should we not close this tread?

Agreed, it's finally time to put this thread to rest.