PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC needs a Charles Oakley...

FluSH
11-04-2009, 10:51 AM
So I was reading the Star today, and came accross this article by Dave Feschuk:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/nba/raptors/article/720778--feschuk-the-oakley-show-rolls-back-into-town

It's an article about Charles Oakley that summarizes what he did for the team and the type of man that he is. Anyhow, The following quote by The Big Oak captivated me:

On Vince Carter's early success in Toronto

"It was all Butch. Butch got in his ear and told him, `Do you know what you have with you? You've got some guys who care for you and are going to look out for you.' Me, Antonio (Davis), Kevin (Willis), we said, `Hey, Vince, we got your back.' Vince would have never excelled the way he did if it wasn't for Butch and some of the guys on the team, because we kept pushing him. We said, `You're better ... shoot as much as you want. We rebound. We set the picks. We keep guys off of you. They hit you, we're gonna hit one of them. It's like baseball. That was my attitude – if you're my teammate, you've got nothing to worry about

They hit you... we are gonna hit them back... if you're my teammate, you've got nothing to worry about

Man those are some deep words. It brings a whole new meaning to being a team. We need that. I said it before, I thought Dichio brought this element to the team in year 1 and 2... but now more than ever.. we need someone like this in our locker room.

If you read through the article, you'll see the man Oakley speaks the truth... during the game he stood up for his team... even if he didn't like some of them.

-FluSH

werewolf
11-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Agreed.

We have Serioux, but with our current defenders, he is too valuable on the field and avoiding any problems.

The Raptors are still looking for something that compares to Oakley...

Whoop
11-04-2009, 10:56 AM
The Raptors are still searching for a Charles Oakley type....

I guess Jim Brennan doesn't inspire that same confidence, huh?

Roogsy
11-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Those were the good ol' days of the Raptors. I had high hopes. I didn't expect to win the championship, but I saw great potential in that team. Too bad it got blown up because of egos and pride.

But boy was it fun to watch that team play. I am a huge Oakley fan. That's the kind of player I am. Little skill but I leave my guts on the floor. I'll take the punishment but you'd better be ready to take it as well.

When Oak left, I knew we had lost something. Yeah he lost a step (or more) but man, that guy played his guts out. Few players do that today.

Roogsy
11-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Man that is a great article by Feschuk.

Why is it some guy who is out of basketball can see things so clearly and the people IN the team can't? I agree with Oak 100% on what you need to build a quality team and how to play them.

olegunnar
11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
It starts at the top.

For example, my leadership and management of my direct reports is pretty useless if my boss doesn't back me up. His management of me is pretty useless if the president doesn't back him up if and when I try and go over my boss' head.

You can have the greatest leader ever in middle management (or captain or coach) but if the highest leaders don't back them up...it's pointless, and their management is just hot air.

Pigfynn
11-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Could not agree more with what Flush is saying here. This team lacks the drive and hunger and all around team togetherness that makes great teams great.

Fight for each other every minute of every game. Could you imagine the difference it would make not only on the pitch but to all of us in the stands if we saw REAL desire and dedication?

ACSertL
11-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I wonder if Charles Oakley can nod in a few off of set pieces? :)

Fantastic interview and I wholeheartedly agree with the posters above that say we need a character or two like Oakley in the TFC locker room.

Roogsy
11-04-2009, 11:30 AM
At 6'8", maybe he can! LOL!

But the dude was making millions playing ball even into his last year. We'd have to make him our DP! :lol:

Hitcho
11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I don;t think the "they hit you we hit one of them back" philosophy applies to football. it's not like hockey and basketball. if you go in for a revenge hit on someone in a football match you're going to get yellow carded or potentially a straight red. it's just not a good way to approach the game.

that said, i completely agree with the philosophy that "we're in this together and we stand, fall and fight together". If everyone in the side had the drive to play and win AS A TEAM, a true "all for one" mentality, then even with no roster changes we;de instantly become a shit load better. De Ro has siad there's not enoguh of that in the locker room. others have said the locker room is split.

Unite the squad, and the team's potential increases exponentially.

trane
11-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Materazzi

Hitcho
11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
^I'd rather have cunny back than see that wanker set foot in BMO Field

Parkdale
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Materazzi

http://z.hubpages.com/u/253049_f260.jpg

Beach_Red
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
It starts at the top.

For example, my leadership and management of my direct reports is pretty useless if my boss doesn't back me up. His management of me is pretty useless if the president doesn't back him up if and when I try and go over my boss' head.

You can have the greatest leader ever in middle management (or captain or coach) but if the highest leaders don't back them up...it's pointless, and their management is just hot air.

I agree, but in the organization here middle-management extends far beyond captain and coach.

billyfly
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/64/0b/823373d74ea4b6d2e3b5350bf5e2.jpeg

trane
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
http://z.hubpages.com/u/253049_f260.jpg

So you are all for it?

Parkdale
11-04-2009, 02:01 PM
So you are all for it?

I'd rather see Buffon.

prizby
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
don't know if there are any 6'9 guys around, but wolves have a 6'7 1/2 austrian guy

lets bring him in

Bars92
11-04-2009, 06:46 PM
wow, you know thing are bad in TFC nation when people start comparing the teams needs to basketball players. :(

ag futbol
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
From ESPN ... about 100 years ago
TORONTO – Toronto's Charles Oakley was suspended for one game without pay and fined $10,000 Tuesday for confronting Philadelphia's Tyrone Hill and striking him in the head with a basketball following the morning shootaround.

Before a preseason game, Oakley slapped Hill and both were ejected.

"Every time we play each other Oakley says something about Hill," Philadelphia's Eric Snow said. "He'll say 'Where's Hill at?"'

Oakley missed the Raptors' game against the 76ers on Tuesday night. Toronto entered the game tied for sixth in the Eastern Conference.

Oakley also was suspended for three games and fined $15,000 for punching Jeff McInnis of the Los Angeles Clippers during a morning shootaround in December.

"I'm very disappointed and very upset," Toronto coach Lenny Wilkens said. "I'm not going to display it so you can write about it.

"The timing is all bad. It's not good judgment on Oakley's part. It hurts the team and him."

Wilkens said further discipline from the team would also be considered.

"I haven't decided on anything yet," Wilkens said. "If it's a personal thing, or something that needs to be settled, it shouldn't be brought to the court."

Always my favorite Oakley story... side story is that McInnis owed him money .. lol

Anyway, in my opinion this isn't far from what we need. We need a real "field general" who keeps everybody in line. Like Oakley, but smarter.

To go with that we simply need more high football iq players out wide and in the backline. We've got a bit deadweight out there who get a lot of credit for hustling when they are really only covering their own mistakes.

jloome
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
don't know if there are any 6'9 guys around, but wolves have a 6'7 1/2 austrian guy

lets bring him in

One of the best prospects in next year's draft is a 6'5 " centre back, Nick Cardenas from San Diego.

There's also a talented kid at St. John's, former IFK Goteborg youth captain Joel Gustaffson, who is 6'3.

werewolf
11-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Oakley is on the Raptors broadcast for a few more mins with the announcers. Some of the things he is talking about in regards to what it takes to be a winner are things TFC should be listening to.

billyfly
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Motivational speaker for TFC.

prizby
11-04-2009, 08:43 PM
One of the best prospects in next year's draft is a 6'5 " centre back, Nick Cardenas from San Diego.

There's also a talented kid at St. John's, former IFK Goteborg youth captain Joel Gustaffson, who is 6'3.

no first round pick

FluSH
11-05-2009, 06:46 AM
wow, you know thing are bad in TFC nation when people start comparing the teams needs to basketball players. :(

lol

He could have been a cricket player for all I care... that wasn't the point!

Maple Leaf Red
11-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Always my favorite Oakley story... side story is that McInnis owed him money .. lol

Anyway, in my opinion this isn't far from what we need. We need a real "field general" who keeps everybody in line. Like Oakley, but smarter.

To go with that we simply need more high football iq players out wide and in the backline. We've got a bit deadweight out there who get a lot of credit for hustling when they are really only covering their own mistakes.

Or like Oakley...but good. He had his three worst statistical seasons as a Raptor. He was already washed up when he got here.

ag futbol
11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Or like Oakley...but good. He had his three worst statistical seasons as a Raptor. He was already washed up when he got here.
Yeah great point. I think a lot of the root for the hard-working but unskilled player mentality really is a downfall of the average north american sports fan.

That's not to say you don't need hard workers on your team. But the guys who normally have that grinder mentality need some actual skill to go with it. In basketball terms look at the spurs: they have Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry. Great effort guys, but they can actually play the game.

Not to mention that skill can stubstitute hard work in many situations. You cheer for a guy who works hard to run back in position to make a play, but half of that is simply him being out of position in the first place. :picard:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Football's Charles OAKLEY!.....

The man is a TANK!!...Will go through hell there and back for his TEAM!

http://gennarogattuso.soccerstar.info/images%5Cplayers%5Cgennaro-gattuso%5Cgennaro-gattuso-42.jpg

There you have it FLUSH!!:drinking:

TFC'S OAKLEY!

trane
11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
^ Milan would sell him. But he is rumoured to be going to England.

werewolf
11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I remember he came over here two years ago or so to have dinner with Mo.

TFC07
11-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Football's Charles OAKLEY!.....

The man is a TANK!!...Will go through hell there and back for his TEAM!

http://gennarogattuso.soccerstar.info/images%5Cplayers%5Cgennaro-gattuso%5Cgennaro-gattuso-42.jpg

There you have it FLUSH!!:drinking:

TFC'S OAKLEY!

Is he a defensive mid? If so, then Mo is going to be all over him. Plus I heard his wife is from GTA. lol Not sure if that is true or not though.

druid
11-06-2009, 03:46 PM
You're better off with a big clever striker. Someone who knows when and how to put the boot in. Do it in their half and you give away a useless free kick and a yellow, do it in yours and you're looking at a dead ball situation for the other team and maybe a red.