PDA

View Full Version : MLS Save of the Year

werewolf
11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/sights/save_of_the_year/

Frei is nominated for 5 of them, and Guevara once.

I think Frei's save in Week 15 is the best out of his choices, and Guevara's is pretty nice too.

boban
11-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Frei is over rated.

Derko
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Frei is over rated.

True but saved TFC's ass a few times.

Whoop
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Frei is over rated.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I thought I was going crazy when everyone was saying he was our MVP.

Steve
11-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Sorry, but I just can't vote for any of Frei's goals. If you look at many of the others, especially any of Rickett's, you can see that his saves are not worth save of the year. Some of the other saves were ridiculous flying reaction saves. Most of Frei's were in the "right place, right time" category.

I'm with boban. I'm not saying Frei isn't a talented young keeper, or that he won't develop into something special, I just didn't see the magic other people saw. With the exception of the last NY game (where the defense left him out to dry) I thought Edwards was at least as good.

__wowza
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Frei has amazing reflexes, but ANY of Onstad's saves had his beat, hands down.

prizby
11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
be nice to see him get recognized

Dunc
11-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Onstad's peno + rebound fuuuck

jloome
11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
To me, the only two contenders are Zac Thornton in week 6 and Frei in week 25. Thornton's is probably the better, but that foot stretch to block the corner? SHit boys, this is footie, not hockey. That may not look awesome to people used to watching the NHL but THAT was extra effort.

Nearly all of these are quick reaction saves. OF those, Thornton's was the toughest.

Gixmo
11-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Its a goalkeeper who will see the 'little things' that make Stefen special on a game in, game out basis.

Positioning is everything, and Stefen is rarely caught out of position. He may be faulted for over-eagerness or a lack of control in his box. Some of that lays with him, some with the back 4 who need to respond to your keeper in a timely fashion. It's a learning curve and unfortunatly if you can predict the movements of your back line you cannot get yourself out of an ugly situation

For a first year rookie, he did fantastic and in many cases kept our butt ends out the grease. Without some timely saves from Stefen we would have been further down the table. The same goes for Brian Edwards who by virtue of playing time doesn't get the same credit. Toronto is a wonderful spot with 2 quality keepers to turn to. What happened to Brian in NYC was terrible, but he will rebound.

I am entirely confident that we have only started to see the beginning of Stefen's progression in football. This man will be a top class keeper in a few years and will not be playing in Toronto for his life time as we all know. That being said, Stefen will leave us with something special before he moves on and until then, we should sing his praises accordingly. I'll wear his kit with pride.

Side note : Zac Thornton's transformation this year was amazing, numbers don't lie and his turn around was fantastic.. but he's not red, so he's shite..

boban
11-06-2009, 11:10 AM
True but saved TFC's ass a few times.
True. And burned it too.

rocker
11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
i like onstad's penalty save with the rebound save as well.

amazing that he's still going strong at his age.. until he was 34 he was still just a guy who played in the CSL and USL.. but he kept on going and now must be enjoying the bigger paycheques and playing in stadiums in front of 30-35K.

Derko
11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
True. And burned it too.

Agreed

TOBOR !
11-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Frei is over rated.

He's also a rookie.

boban
11-07-2009, 12:03 PM
He's also a rookie.
Exactly.