PDA

View Full Version : How many wingers do we need?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Id say at least 3
We've got no natural winger on either side. Why is Mo only suggesting we need a left winger? am i missing something?

I do agree that we need a cb (or two) and a striker (still)

werewolf
11-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I think Fuad can play one wing, just a shame we haven't gotten to see more of him.

Nuvinho
11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
It depends on what positions the new coach puts the likes of Brennan, Barrett, and Felinga in. None of them are ideal wingers, but Barrett did well in that postion, as did Brennan.

First 2 things that need to be addressed is a striker and a CB, before a winger IMO.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I think Fuad can play one wing, just a shame we haven't gotten to see more of him.

i think we will see more of him this year, i think we didnt see him this last season because we'd owe Dallas some picks or some such things if he played more than 6 or so games

Id really like to see some natural wingers rather than players that look decent in that position. Id really like to see more of Fellinga, what i did see i thought was promising. I dont mind using Barrett and Fuad out of position if necessary but as previously mentioned...

106-12
11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
[quote=werewolf;778834]I think Fuad can play one wing, just a shame we haven't gotten to see more of him.[/quote
I always said that and i think he is better than chad and OBW because i don't think OBW was %100 ready

Ultra & Proud
11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
It depends on what positions the new coach puts the likes of Brennan, Barrett, and Felinga in. None of them are ideal wingers, but Barrett did well in that postion, as did Brennan.

First 2 things that need to be addressed is a striker and a CB, before a winger IMO.

I think winger first (or second). No quality CBs will likely be available anyways so I would take a good winger over striker because you can have an amazing striker and if he gets no service, which we obviously can't provide with who we have now, then we get minimal goals from our forwards. No solid link up from mid to forward was our achilles heel all season and until it's addressed you can count on a whole lot of "1 goal for" matches again next year.

ACSertL
11-04-2009, 11:39 AM

I think Barrett is a better winger than he is a striker and before people jump all over me for this...I don't hate the guy :lol:

He's got all of the attributes, good work ethic, pace, decent crossing ability, that a winger should have, as well he shows a willingness to track back. The only thing that concerns me is his apparent lack of fitness, which is probably caused by the excessive sweating. If he can give an hour when he starts or half an hour coming off the bench I wouldn't be upset with that.

Hitcho
11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
The new coach and his system really needs to be sorted out before we start lookign at who to bring in, or even what positions to fill.

For example, if he wants to play 5-3-2 then there's not much need for wingers, just another RWB. That also determines whether we want to look for one decent CB or two. Same if he likes to play one up front.

The one thing we have a glut of is central midfield players from DCM to ACM. And we're nicely covered in the goalie dept too. After that, the new coach's system will rule all...

trane
11-04-2009, 12:40 PM
^ Agreed. We have players that can play as wing backs. So a 5-3-2 or 5-4-1.

Oblio2
11-04-2009, 12:45 PM
11 wingers. end of.

felipe
11-04-2009, 01:37 PM
exactly Hitcho - its kind of pointless Mo spouting off who or what we need; we need a new coach who will decide on who or what he thinks we need.

jloome
11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Well Oss, welcome to the disconnect between what fans want and what management thinks "is necessary."

He said we need one LEFT-footed winger. The obvlious implication on Mo's part is that we have plenty of right-footers who can play on the wing.

The further implication is that Mo believes multiple non-wingers could play there, the kind of flawed approach (i.e. "it's about the player, not the position) that has led to our central mid glut.

Mo has a few difficult months ahead and I wouldn't be surprised, based on the coach challenge alone, if he doesn't make it to next year.

ag futbol
11-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Id say at least 3
We've got no natural winger on either side. Why is Mo only suggesting we need a left winger? am i missing something?

As a backup CB, Gomez is fine by MLS standards.

Winger wise, no less that three ... that's for sure. The two on the backline ... defensive responsibility first please. Arrieta (from pr islanders) should be on the list for sure. Although he isn't really a winger as much as a RB.

From the guys playing the mid, we need some good pace and actual ability to take on the man. Way too many backpasses from the guys who play out wide right now. Crossing quality has also been really poor across the board.

Dunc
11-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I wonder if Andy van der Meyde would come here to get his career back on track as a DP.. his daughter is in hospital in Liverpool, I don't know what illness she's got but if a hospital in Toronto were good at dealing with it maybe he could be convinced.

Even with his alleged :drinking: he'd be miles ahead of the MLS.

Auzzy
11-04-2009, 07:23 PM
How many "natural" wingers do other teams have, that are ahead of TFC in the MLS standings? I think the need for a rock-solid CB is pretty obvious. Wrt additional strikers & wingers, I would really like a new coach to look at the existing players on TFC, decide what system he would like to play, and identify the most important players to add or replace. We aren't going to get perfection in MLS.

ag futbol
11-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Regardless of how dependant our system is going to be on natural wingers ... we flat out need more width. I think that was pretty obvious after watching this team all year.

Not enough good crosses, not enough good runs off the ball, not enough skill to take on the man, too much drifting into the centre, and being terribly out of position were all regular problems.

prizby
11-04-2009, 08:48 PM
move marvell wynne into a wing

or ideally

-------------Frei--------------
---Nana-Gomez-Serioux--
Wynne------------Brennan
----Cronin-JDG-Guevara--
---------DeRo---------------
------------OBW-------------

Ossington Mental Youth
11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Well Oss, welcome to the disconnect between what fans want and what management thinks "is necessary."

He said we need one LEFT-footed winger. The obvlious implication on Mo's part is that we have plenty of right-footers who can play on the wing.

The further implication is that Mo believes multiple non-wingers could play there, the kind of flawed approach (i.e. "it's about the player, not the position) that has led to our central mid glut.

Mo has a few difficult months ahead and I wouldn't be surprised, based on the coach challenge alone, if he doesn't make it to next year.

god willing youre right (about him not being around next year, that too could pose some problems as lord knows if MLSE would make quick enough moves to find a replacement). I can appreciate players that are adaptable and are able to play several positions, every team needs a few, but that being said every team needs some natural players and that seems to escape his mind.

jloome
11-04-2009, 11:38 PM
It depends somewhat on how much leash Anselmi has given him financially. If Mo can spend more than he should to convince a coach to come in, that could quickly lead to a lot of mistakes being covered up or even forgiven if that individual is then succesful.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Of course once the coach is signed he also has to find hte players to compliment the coach but will that be a lesser concern for MLSE

TFCRegina
11-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Id say at least 3

We don't need any. What we need is another 3 or 4 midfielders. I told you, the strategy is to run a 0-10-0