PDA

View Full Version : CCL draw....

profit89
06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
...is today. Details to follow.

Wilbix
06-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I've heard this too, and I believe you, but can't find any mention of it on the CONCACAF site... any leads on when and where we can follow it?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-11-2008, 08:26 AM
CONCACAF Champions League Draw Preview

The competition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2008-09) itself starts in late August, but the draw will be held on Wednesday, June 11. Eight teams automatically qualify for the group stage, while the others battle for the other eight places alongside them.

We've known for a while which teams get the byes to the group stage, but until recently it was unknown what the pots would look like for the preliminary round. It was revealed (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14720625&postcount=24) on the broadcast of Montreal vs Toronto qualifier (I wish CONCACAF would provide more information in a timely fashion.). That news allows me to do a full mock draw.

http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2008/06/concacaf-champions-league-draw-preview.html

pat416
06-11-2008, 08:51 AM
im excited to see howthis goes. Tor ONt OHHHHHHHHHHHHH TFC

Wilbix
06-11-2008, 09:07 AM
*crosses fingers and hopes for Joe Public FC*

Northern Soul
06-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Was on the calendar when this article was written about a month ago:

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4171

djking2
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Bit of a black hole in terms of how and where this is gonna happen. I'll be keeping an eye on the Concacaf news feed though.

S_D
06-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Intersting article in the BS thread here:

http://www.reporter.bz/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2677&Itemid=2 (http://www.reporter.bz/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2677&Itemid=2)

I didn't know the U.S. got cash from FIFA to upgrade pitches (400K) and set up a youth development program (500K). Never heard of Canada getting big cuts like that except when hosting a big tourney. The CSA is always hurting for cash... time to go begging :D

djking2
06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
It was US $ going to Belize not the US

arsenal
06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Results of the draw have been announced .... looks like TFC will be taking a trip to Nicaragua. We open up with the home leg last week of August.

http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/champsleague/index.aspx

SilverSamurai
06-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Gonna need a big win at BMO to make it to the next round!
Must win by atleast 2 goals, since away goals count as 2, right?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Nicaragua
TBD - Winner of playoff between Apertura League and Clausura League champions

ExiledRed
06-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Nicaragua?

who's going?

arsenal
06-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Seems from what little I have been able to find that whichever team qualifies from there appears to be about the easiest draw possible.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-11-2008, 01:39 PM

Dunno..cause the Champions CUP did not use away goals to its advantage......dopes anyone know if that will change for CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

werewolf
06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Nicaragua?

who's going?

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=216000

1. RECENT UPDATES

A Travel Warning has been removed from this report.

Section 2 of this Travel Report has been updated (removal of reference to tropical storm ALMA).

2. WARNINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

There is no Official Warning for this country.

Nicaragua
Canadian visitors should exercise a high degree of caution due to a gradual increase in the use of armed violence.

The hurricane season extends from June 1st to November 30th. For more information, please see our Global Issue (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/sos/ci/cur-en.asp?txt_ID=1074) on the hurricane season.

3. SAFETY AND SECURITY

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety. The purpose of this Travel Report is to provide Canadians with up-to-date information to enable them to make well-informed decisions.

Security in Northern and North-Eastern Nicaragua

Despite regular security patrols by the Nicaraguan Army and Police, armed banditry occurs in areas near Bonanza, La Rosita and Siuna (the Mining Triangle) in north-eastern Nicaragua. Incidents of carjacking have also been reported between Managua and Puerto Cabezas. Road travel to this area should be undertaken in convoy of at least two vehicles and during daylight hours.

Due to this type of criminal activity, land travel to Honduras should be undertaken only on highways with official border crossings at Guasaule, El Espino, and Las Manos.

A particularly high degree of caution should also be exercised in remote areas of the Atlantic coast, where armed robberies and kidnappings occur, and where natural disasters are frequent. In such circumstances, transportation routes and power and telecommunications systems may be affected, and water-borne and mosquito-borne diseases may become a threat.Travellers should monitor local news and weather reports, and follow the advice of local authorities.

Crime

Street crime such as pickpocketing and purse snatching is common, and tends to increase during the month of December. Travellers should use only hotels that provide adequate security.

Remain alert when walking in markets (e.g. Mercado Oriental), in the vicinity of the old cathedral in Managua, near Tica Bus (bus terminal of buses coming from Honduras and Costa Rica), at public transportation terminals, and in poorer areas. Exercise common sense and ensure personal belongings, passports and other travel documents are secure at all times. Visitors should carry a photocopy of the identification page of their passport and entry stamp with them, and keep the original in a secure place. Do not carry large sums of money, especially while travelling on buses. Purse, backpack, and jewellery snatching occurs while vehicles are stopped at intersections and while pedestrians are walking on the street.

Violent crime, including armed robbery and sexual assault, is on the increase in Managua,Granada and San Juan del Sur, and also occurs in Bonanza, La Rosita, Siuna and on Little Corn Island. Express kidnappings, in which victims are usually abducted for a few hours and forced to withdraw money from Automated Banking Machines (ABMs), are also perpetrated.

If attacked, do not resist, as offering resistance may result in violence. Weapons are carried by many criminals.There have been incidents of passengers being robbed, sometimes with violence, by taxi drivers or by people posing as taxi drivers using unauthorized taxi signs on their cars. Travellers should only take taxis from hotels and main entrances of shopping malls and make detailed arrangements for the return trip. Use only taxis that are yellow, have red plates and have a circle on the door that says "Cooperativa" or taxi services ordered by phone. Arrange with the taxi driver not to pick up any other passengers on the way to your destination, even if it is more expensive. Boaters should exercise caution and be aware that both the Pacific and the Caribbean coasts of Nicaragua are known to be drug transit zones.

Travellers to the Island of Ometepe have been victims of fraudulent tour guides. Hotels and local authorities can provide information on reputable tour guides.

Landmines

In spite of de-mining efforts by the government, there are still active landmines in isolated areas of the country. This poses a significant danger to travellers who venture off main roads. Affected areas are not always clearly marked.

Demonstrations and Roadblocks

Demonstrations occur occasionally and may cause traffic disruptions. As a precautionary measure, Canadians should be alert, avoid large crowds and keep informed of possible roadblocks. Periodic violence may occur on the streets, particularly in Managua, as a result of protests. Access to the ManaguaInternationalAirport may be affected, as well as the area of Carretera a Masaya where universities, shopping malls and restaurants are located.

Due to boundary disputes in the Caribbean coastal waters between Nicaragua and Honduras, passengers of foreign fishing boats have been detained and/or fined and have been vessels impounded.

General Security Measures

Police presence is extremely sparse outside of major urban areas.Travel should be restricted to tourist areas and to daylight hours only. Hitchhiking in Nicaragua is highly unadvisable. Travel in groups whenever possible. Motorists should keep windows closed and doors locked when driving through crowded areas.

Exercise caution when swimming, as strong currents and undertows have resulted in drownings. Warning signs, lifeguards, and rescue equipment are often lacking.

Power blackouts in all parts of the country are becoming more frequent, especially during the dry season from July to August.

Nicaragua lacks an extensive tourist infrastructure. INTUR, the governmental agency responsible for developing, regulating and promoting tourism in Nicaragua, offers some information in English.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
CANT WAIT FOR THIS....WE HAVE TO BRING IT AS SUPPORTERS LIKE WE HAVE NOT BROUGHT IT BEFORE!!

ps..thats if we qualify! :)

Pachuco
06-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I think some of you are forgetting that we haven't qualified for this tournament yet.

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Seems from what little I have been able to find that whichever team qualifies from there appears to be about the easiest draw possible.

According to http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2008/06/concacaf-champions-league-draw-preview.html Nicaragua and Belize are the weakest spots, which the Canada representative has drawn. You'll find this in the "Mock Draw" section.

arsenal
06-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I think some of you are forgetting that we haven't qualified for this tournament yet.

We will not be losing anyone to int'l duty during the remainder of the games. If they don't qualify then we have serious issues.

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Results of the draw have been announced .... looks like TFC will be taking a trip to Nicaragua. We open up with the home leg last week of August.

http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/champsleague/index.aspx

Shouldn't Pot A (if considered as higher seeds than Pot B) teams open on the road? Does anyone know why we open at home?

RealG-TFC
06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
OMG When do we play them!?!?!?!?

If it's December that would be PERFECT!

werewolf
06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
^ August and first week of Sept.

coisty1966
06-11-2008, 02:06 PM
looks like this maybe the team we'd play , not much info on them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Estel%C3%AD

RealG-TFC
06-11-2008, 02:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! IT's in AUg/SEPT!!!!

What ever.

I bet we will play Real Esteli or Diriangen FC.

RealG-TFC
06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1145317312041136286FshMbO

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I've looked around on the French and Dutch pages of Real Esteli (at this stage the most likely team to make it to the CCL) but no more information that the English page. The French and Dutch were the only available other languages, by the way.

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I've also looked into the other languages versions of the Nicaraguan Premier League (Spanish, Italian and Dutch) but again, even less information than in English (even in Spanish, the home language of the league). That's probably a good sign as it probably means that the league isn't very good because it's not well known/written about.

SilverSamurai
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I hope this isn't it...
http://www.fussballtempel.net/concacaf/NIC/Independencia.html
BMO doens't look so bad now, does it? lol

werewolf
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I would think the Niacaraguan league is made up of mostly domestic players, and look at where the country is ranked in FIFA...186, 29th in Concacaf, between Dominican Republic and Cayman Islands

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I hope this isn't it...

Yup, that's the one.

Red CB Toronto
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Real Estel plays in a 4,800 seat stadium, I am sure it will be a real hostile enviroment, should be interesting. Do you we know when their season ends, how does Nicaragua qualifying work, they and us are the only two countries whose teams have not been decided.

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I would think the Niacaraguan league is made up of mostly domestic players, and look at where the country is ranked in FIFA...186, 29th in Concacaf, between Dominican Republic and Cayman Islands

So, Canada probably got a good draw then. Even if TFC is not going (although the scales are in our favour for now) I would think Montreal or Vancouver would also be okay.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Away goals are only factored in if two teams are tied on aggregate. For example, if TFC wins 1-0 at BMO and then loses 2-1 on the road, we would be tied 2-2 on aggregate with said team but would advance 1-0 on away goals. The expression "away goals count as double" is really only used to explain that in the event of a tie, the team with the greater number of away goals advances.

onemanbarmyarmy
06-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd love to watch a game in that stadium.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Real Estel plays in a 4,800 seat stadium, I am sure it will be a real hostile enviroment, should be interesting. Do you we know when their season ends, how does Nicaragua qualifying work, they and us are the only two countries whose teams have not been decided.

There league is divided in two sections per season, Apertura and Clausura, each with its own champion. ..the two will champions will face off and represent for the CL SPOT!

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Away goals are only factored in if two teams are tied on aggregate. For example, if TFC wins 1-0 at BMO and then loses 2-1 on the road, we would be tied 2-2 on aggregate with said team but would advance 1-0 on away goals. The expression "away goals count as double" is really only used to explain that in the event of a tie, the team with the greater number of away goals advances.

I'm not convinced the away goals rule is used at all here. Or at least so I thought after reading an article a while back.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-11-2008, 02:32 PM

but are you sure this format is used???in the preivious CHAMPIONS CUP...before it was made into the the CL this year......away goals did not matter!!

Red CB Toronto
06-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know where each winner goes for the group stage, has that been determined.

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know where each winner goes for the group stage, has that been determined.

No, but it's a good bet that US and Mexican teams be distributed equally among the groups.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-11-2008, 02:46 PM
but are you sure this format is used???in the preivious CHAMPIONS CUP...before it was made into the the CL this year......away goals did not matter!!

I was just responding to Silver's post, since he appeared to be a little confused by the away goals rule. To be honest, I'm not sure if away goals are a factor in the CCL like they are in WCQ; I would need to read the tournament format again.

SilverSamurai
06-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I was just responding to Silver's post, since he appeared to be a little confused by the away goals rule. To be honest, I'm not sure if away goals are a factor in the CCL like they are in WCQ; I would need to read the tournament format again.

I know for some tourneys away goals count as 2 and home 1 and whoever has the most amount at the end wins.
Maybe I was a bit confused though...

Toronto Ruffrider
06-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I know for some tourneys away goals count as 2 and home 1 and whoever has the most amount at the end wins.
Maybe I was a bit confused though...

Well, aggregate goals will always be the primary deciding factor in a home-and-away playoff, which is essentially just a two-game total goals series. If two teams are tied after playing both games, then away goals may or may not be a factor, depending on the format of a particular tournament.

Btw, I looked up the format for the CCL but I couldn't find a reference to the away goals rule. Can anyone confirm whether or not they are used as a tie-breaking procedure?

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
^I don't have a reference, but I'm almost sure that away goals isn't used. This per an article that I can't find. I know it's not the clear-cut answer we want, but make of that what you will.

olegunnar
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Nicaragua
TBD - Winner of playoff between Apertura League and Clausura League champions

It can't be that good of a league.

Last year Real Madriz lost 8-0 on aggregate (2-0 at home and 6-0 away) to CSD Municipal of Guatamala in the qualifying for this years tournament.

I don't know how good Guatamala's league is but to lose to anyone 8-0 you have to be really bad.

http://www.concacaf.com/viewCompetition.aspx?id=217

Wilbix
06-11-2008, 03:20 PM
The eight clubs have been also drawn into Group Stage today for the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League™ and CONCACAF will officially unveil the Group Stage along with the complete schedule for the preliminary round on Monday (16 June).

Why would they wait until Monday to "unveil" the draw for the group stage? They need the weekend to rig it properly?

akoto
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Preliminary Round Draw Results (Home Team Listed First)
First-Leg (26-28 August 2008)
GUA2: CD Municipal or Deportivo Jalapa – PAN1: San Francisco FC
CFU2: Joe Public FC of Trinidad & Tobago – USA3: New England Revolution
CRC2: LD Alajuelense – CFU3: Puerto Rico Islanders
MEX4: CD SC Cruz Azul – BLZ1: Hankook Verdes
CFU1: Harbour View FC of Jamaica – MEX3: Pumas UNAM
PAN2: Tauro FC – USA4: Chivas USA
CAN1: Canadian Champion – NCA1: Nicaraguan Champion
SLV2: CD Isidro Metapan – </B>HON2:</B> CD Olimpia or CD Marathon

Second-Leg (2-4 September 2008)
PAN1: San Francisco FC – GUA2: CD Municipal or Deportivo Jalapa
USA3: New England Revolution – CFU2: Joe Public FC of Trinidad & Tobago
CFU3: Puerto Rico Islanders – CRC2: LD Alajuelense
BLZ1: Hankook Verdes – MEX4: CD SC Cruz Azul
MEX3: Pumas UNAM – CFU1: Harbour View FC of Jamaica
USA4: Chivas USA – PAN2: Tauro FC
NCA1: Nicaraguan Champion – CAN1: Canadian Champion
HON2: CD Olimpia or CD Marathon – SLV2: CD Isidro Metapan

For those to lazy to look it up. I wasn't that guy this time :)

Lenny Dikestra
06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Man it would be so nice to win this thing

footyfan
06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=216000

Well I guess that shows just how "hardcore" your supporters are.

United supporters have travelled to other places the US State Dept has warnings about, to watch them play like Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, parts of Mexico during the Champion's Cup.....

Just sayin' international travel is the true mark of great supporters.

SilverSamurai
06-11-2008, 04:23 PM

United supporters have travelled to other places the US State Dept has warnings about, to watch them play like Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, parts of Mexico during the Champion's Cup.....

What do you think going to the US is?
Sure as hell isn't a national game!

BeachRed
06-11-2008, 04:28 PM

Costa Rica?

Maybe your state department is too wussy;)

Lucky Strike
06-11-2008, 04:33 PM
What do you think going to the US is?
Sure as hell isn't a national game!

+1. Shouldn't we have a travel warning against going to the US? It is after all an emerging totalitarian state.

On a side note, I read many things on American boards about us being communists. Canadians are to communists what Americans are to fascists. Just thought I'd point that out.

RealG-TFC
06-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Nicaragua isn't that dangerous. It's actually pretty safe considering the situation of other CA countries.

After reading an Article it says that Diriangen FC and Real Esteli (two best teams in the country historically) will face each other in a semifinal and Walter Ferretti agaist Ocotal fro the other semi.

http://www.pinolerosports.com/futbol/primera-division/clasico-en-semifinal.html

table

http://www.pinolerosports.com/tabla-de-posiciones-apertura.html

Real Esteli winning Apertura 2007

Oz0lvDCXv_E

SilverSamurai
06-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Should be a good match. I'm looking forward to this.
Pachuca will have a similar style (although their players will be much better) so it'll be a good tune up for Real Esteli.
Looks like it'll be a hostile environment though. Gotta be the 12th man @ BMO!!

Can you imagine when TFC wins the Supporters Shield? If they passed that thing around the stands, it wouldn't come back!

ExiledRed
06-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Just sayin'

FUCK OFF GIMP.

BBBulldog
06-11-2008, 04:58 PM
CFU2: Joe Public FC of Trinidad & Tobago – USA3: New England Revolution

hehe one of funniest names :) They played DC about 10 years ago (lost 8:0)

Don Julio
06-11-2008, 05:03 PM

A) I read that and though, "Huh, not so bad" since I really didn't know too much about Nicaragua's current travel situation. Seems like if you be smart and stay on the beaten path you might get robbed - no biggie.

B) Fuck off, troll.

RealG-TFC
06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
If you want to travel there. You better wish that we play Diriangen s it is closer to the Capital and more convenient.

giambac
06-11-2008, 06:04 PM
We will not be losing anyone to int'l duty during the remainder of the games. If they don't qualify then we have serious issues.

I don't know .

In my books Montreal looked better than TFC in game 1.

The key will be whether we baet Vancouver in TO, because we all know TFC can't play for shit on thr road and there is a possibilty they may lose in vancouver.

Nerepis
06-11-2008, 07:32 PM

I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand, if United supporters are so "hardcore" why is it necessary for you to troll our forum to talk footy?

werewolf
06-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Nothing in this thread has shown how hardcore our supporters are, its just a link for informatory purposes. Our team hasn't even made the tournament yet. It has nothing to do with DC or the surrounding areas.

trane
06-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I hope this isn't it...

I think that that is it. We need to do this. If one day we won CONCACAF, we could be in the Club WC competing against the world's biggest clubs, now that is something to work toward.

edmundo
06-12-2008, 02:10 AM
heres a video of the draw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoKMqCzsvUI

T_Mizz
06-12-2008, 09:07 PM
That video was already posted and we tore it to bits