PDA

View Full Version : DCU's Soehn quits at end of contract

Detroit_TFC
11-03-2009, 11:50 AM
SBI:
Tom Soehn will not be back as head coach of D.C. United after removing his name from consideration to be retained upon the conclusion of his current contract at the end of the calendar year (more, see link)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/11/soehn-out-as-dc-united-head-coach.html

Oldtimer
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
He wants to come to Toronto maybe?

brad
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Do we want him?

DOMIN8R
11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Broadcasting and P.A. Request: When speaking of the organization, please refer to the team as either “D.C. United” or “United,” but not “the D.C. United” or “the United.” We appreciate your cooperation.

rocker
11-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Do we want him?

i don't think so. didn't make the playoffs in 2 years... seemed to lose the room at DC.. didn't have a great record overall. fans seem quite happy he's gone. they see him every week, so i think they are a pretty good barometer.

FluSH
11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Toronto Bound...

tfcmanu
11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Toronto Bound...

I Agree!

rocker
11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
TFC must do better than Tom Soehn in my opinion.

Lucky Strike
11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Interesting article from Goff in favour of Soehn, which would benefit TFC:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/11/a_case_for_soehn.html?wprss=soccerinsider

Whoop
11-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Reading the blog and the comments made by Kevin Payne, I wonder if Kevin Payne and Tom Anslemi are one and the same guy?

DCU supporters aren't happy with his comments either. I like the one guy who states that Payne goes on about the NYRB's run last year and he points out yeah they stuck with the same coach and look at them now. LOL

Beach_Red
11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Reading the blog and the comments made by Kevin Payne, I wonder if Kevin Payne and Tom Anslemi are one and the same guy?

They probably took the same marketing and business administration courses. It's the kind of talk that works well in board rooms, isn't it?

canadian_bhoy
11-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Plus ONe

Cashcleaner
11-03-2009, 02:08 PM

Agreed. The guy has a less-than-stellar record here. We're aiming too low if we think he'd be great for Toronto FC.

Though knowing how the club operates, I guess we'll be welcoming Mr. Soehn to TFC before next season. :facepalm:

Damien
11-03-2009, 02:16 PM
From his wiki... "In addition to his professional coaching, Soehn serves as the director of his boyhood club, the Chicago Kickers"

Maybe he'll just do that full time?

spidergoose
11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Likely going to end up in Philadelphia as an assistant to Nowak.

DOMIN8R
11-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Preki, please.

spidergoose
11-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Preki, please.

We're saying the same in DC. :D

Whoop
11-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Domenic Kinnear.

Redcoe15
11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Seconded!

rocker
11-03-2009, 03:55 PM
didn't Soehn interview for the big TFC job back in 2006, but they chose MoJo?

Hitcho
11-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Benitez might be out of a job before next season starts :D

Nicol still gets my vote, but as long as we get someone in who can rebalance the squad and get us playing competetive football as an organised, committed unit for a full season, that'll be a huge step forward in my book.

rocker
11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
some anonymous comment poster on Ives site says the assistant at Houston (Jon Spencer) is top of the list for MoJo right now. I have no idea where this anonymous poster got that info... but I would only like that hiring if he's the mastermind behind Dominic Kinnear and/or he's memorized everything Kinnear does and can replicate it with TFC. But taking on an assistant coach right now is another gamble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Spencer_%28footballer%29

Damien
11-03-2009, 05:43 PM
some anonymous comment poster on Ives site says the assistant at Houston (Jon Spencer) is top of the list for MoJo right now. I have no idea where this anonymous poster got that info... but I would only like that hiring if he's the mastermind behind Dominic Kinnear and/or he's memorized everything Kinnear does and can replicate it with TFC. But taking on an assistant coach right now is another gamble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Spencer_%28footballer%29

This makes some sense cuz he did spend time with the Rangers...

Oh, and he's Scottish.

jabbronies
11-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Agreed.

jloome
11-03-2009, 07:23 PM
This makes some sense cuz he did spend time with the Rangers...

Oh, and he's Scottish.

It's not really seen as a gamble with Spencer, as he's been an assistant at both Colorado and Houston, and led Houston's reserve team to the reserve title two seasons ago, plus has extensive pro experience.

That's the same resume approach as Nicol and Marriner, and that worked out ok.

I imagine he's Mo's top choice after Nicol, whom he won't get.

Soehn is badly underrated by DC fans becuase they're used to competing for the title annually. He was six games over 500 over the last three seasons and got them both an Open CUp win and a supporter's shield in 2007. Any coach with multi years of MLS experience who has actually led his club to the regular season title should get serious consideration here.

Problematically, the knock on him in DC was in inability to manage roster injuries and egos.

Cashcleaner
11-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Problematically, the knock on him in DC was in inability to manage roster injuries and egos.

Not so good for Toronto, then. Historically speaking, that appears to be our biggest problems at the club.

SoccMan
11-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I think that in the end it will be Spencer, he is British,has MLS experience and probably someone who can handle not having total control of the team and having Mo to work under. I think Spencer has to be Mo's number one choice right now.

ag futbol
11-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Soehn is more of a "best of the rest" scenario IMO. He's not as bad as people might make him out to be ... DCU held onto their aging and injury prone core to a fault. They did a good job drafting this year and picking up Jakovic but they still aren't strong enough. Between US Open, CCL, and regular league play

If guys like Preki, Nicol, and Colin Clarke aren't available, it sounds like a good idea.

Jon Spencer - no thanks. Probably going to be a great coach, but this isn't the time to gamble.

Lucky Strike
11-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Soehn is more of a "best of the rest" scenario IMO. He's not as bad as people might make him out to be ... DCU held onto their aging and injury prone core to a fault. They did a good job drafting this year and picking up Jakovic but they still aren't strong enough. Between US Open, CCL, and regular league play

If guys like Preki, Nicol, and Colin Clarke aren't available, it sounds like a good idea.

Jon Spencer - no thanks. Probably going to be a great coach, but this isn't the time to gamble.

This is my view as well, I'd prefer Soehn over Spencer. I especially like his record when he has a full week to prepare for a game.

jloome
11-04-2009, 06:52 PM

Spencer is probably seen as less of a gamble than Clarke, who has already coached unsuccesfully in MLS. I'd also note that Clarke is not at a team where ego is a huge issue, because it's USL.

He's also defensive-minded, not much fun to watch.

Preki will probably get a lot of consideration. Did he and Mo play together at KC?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
the question is would Preki be happy to deal with Mo and his likely tinkering?

rocker
11-04-2009, 10:06 PM
the question is would Preki be happy to deal with Mo and his likely tinkering?

i have no idea.. i'd like to know their relationship. are they enemies or buddies?

VPjr
11-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Tom Soehn lost the dressing room. He's a good coach but he made some major errors this year IMO, biggest one being going with a 3 man backline virtually week in - week out. Opponents were licking their chops each and every week over the opportunity to pressure those 3 defenders.

Of course, he might have had no choice because they didn't have the salary cap room available to bring in extra defenders but the team looked horribly unbalanced alot of the time when I watched them.

I don't see him as a candidate for TFC. They could have had him 3 years ago, instead of MoJo. I'm told they were not overly impressed with Soehn.