PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Cunningham to appear on It's Called Football today

SweetOwnGoal
11-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Jeff Cunningham will be one of our two guests today on It's Called Football Weekly. You can listen live at 2 p.m. EST by tuning into ThatChannel.com (http://www.thatchannel.com) and 24th Minute (http://www.24thminute.com) will have a live chat up where you can direct questions to Cunningham (no, we aren't going to swear at him, but we will ask tough questions).

Dino Rossi will also be on to talk about the ongoing SAAC v CSA issue regarding the FIFA mandate to register unaffiliated academy players.

Roogsy
11-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I hope Jeff rips into this team and tells us what is wrong with it. It would go a long way to recovering some of the respect we lost for this guy if he stands up and helps us identify the ailings of this organization.

FluSH
11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
It started off as a good Monday morning... then I read Jeff Cunnigham's name...

CoachGT
11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
What will you do if he is made MLS MVP?

ilikemusic
11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Sweet.

Do you guys put up a podcast of your show on iTunes? Appointment viewing in the middle of the day on the internet isnt very convenient timing.

SweetOwnGoal
11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Sweet.

Do you guys put up a podcast of your show on iTunes? Appointment viewing in the middle of the day on the internet isnt very convenient timing.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=301350624

Roogsy
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM

LOL!

Nazzer
11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I wonder if the hosts will be as rude to Jeff as they were to Bill Archer? There's a fine line between asking tough questions and being rude to your guests and the guys at Its Called Football showed in the past that they cross that line when they get emotional.

SweetOwnGoal
11-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I wonder if the hosts will be as rude to Jeff as they were to Bill Archer? There's a fine line between asking tough questions and being rude to your guests and the guys at Its Called Football showed in the past that they cross that line when they get emotional.

Nazzer,

You don't like us. Fine. I get it. But, look at our entire body of work.

What you are saying here is complete bullshit.

olegunnar
11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I wonder if it was dislike for Mo or Carver that motivated him to tank his performances in the hopes he'd get traded sooner.

I wonder if he'd admit who it was.

Roogsy
11-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Nazzer,

I have to agree...Bill Archer was being belligerent. While I can't say they treated him with kid gloves, there is no way I would classify that interview the way Nazzer did.

ilikemusic
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I wonder if it was dislike for Mo or Carver that motivated him to tank his performances in the hopes he'd get traded sooner.

I wonder if he'd admit who it was.

I hope he tears into Mo and JC. Carver insulted him to the media (while he was still on his team no less), I hope Cunningham returns the favor.

I have to agree...Bill Archer was being belligerent. While I can't say they treated him with kid gloves, there is no way I would classify that interview the way Nazzer did.

They just got successfully trolled is all. They should have never mentioned his name never mind brought him onto the show.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-02-2009, 01:43 PM
My thoughts exactly... :facepalm:

sulfur
11-02-2009, 02:10 PM
For those of us who have to be in a meeting in the next 5 mins, can someone give a quick executive summary?

I'm definitely curious to hear what Cunny has to say, but... well... see note above about meeting in 5 mins. :P

Lennon
11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Did it start yet? I missed the first 28 mins and now they got some music playing ...

JDG
11-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Back now

MG42
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
anyone hear what Cunny had to say?

Nazzer
11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Nazzer,

I am looking at your entire body of work. And then I'm dividing it into two groups. Where you get overly personally invested into the interview (such as the Bill Archer show) and the majority of your shows where you are able to maintain decent reporting integrity (for example ... like every other one).

In terms ofo whether or not I like you, I like it when the two Ben's dictate the pulse of the show as then it tends to maintain a good positive vibe with the balance of the questions being fair and reasonable. When that bald dude (sorry I don't remember his name) talks he comes off like a bitter supporter, and I just don't enjoy that. How is what I'm saying bullshit exactly? Its my opinion, there's no set standard on values of what is acceptable in terms of journalistic behaviour so how can you say my values are bullshit? Different than yours perhaps, but bullshit no. But when the 'interview' degrades into a shouting match between the hosts and the guest I say thats crossed the line. Do you think you would ever see the After Hours segments on Hockey Night in Canada turn into a shouting match between the Hosts (Scott Oake and Kevin Weekes) and their quests? I don't think you would.

nascarguy
11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
damm i missed it

ArmenJBX
11-02-2009, 07:01 PM
what did he have to say? Anything directed to TFC?

Blizzard
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Bill Archer is an emotional subject for many people and he has been as rude to Canada, Canadians and TFC supporters as any individual can be. I've had some private clashes with the man and it wasn't pleasant. He is a very rude man.

That said, the boys have acknowledged in the past that they didn't handle Bill particularly well but for you to take that one interview and imply that they are like that all the time is blatantly unfair and I would also say, extremely uninformed.

Nazzer
11-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Bill Archer is an emotional subject for many people and he has been as rude to Canada, Canadians and TFC supporters as any individual can be. I've had some private clashes with the man and it wasn't pleasant. He is a very rude man.

That said, the boys have acknowledged in the past that they didn't handle Bill particularly well but for you to take that one interview and imply that they are like that all the time is blatantly unfair and I would also say, extremely uninformed.

I'm not sure how me saying "when they get emotional" turns into "all the time", unless you are implying that the hosts of the show always get a little too emotionally invested with their guests.

backbeat
11-02-2009, 08:13 PM
how did the show go? what did Cunnigham have to say?

as for Bill Archer, he's a dick and the 'It's Called Football" folks got dragged down with him - it was rather pathetic but other than that the show is usually pretty ok - too many teens get caught up in Bill Archer - leave Bill to Columbus and focus on TFC! :scarf:

s2cazz
11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
how did the show go? what did Cunnigham have to say?

as for Bill Archer, he's a dick and the 'It's Called Football" folks got dragged down with him - it was rather pathetic but other than that the show is usually pretty ok - too many teens get caught up in Bill Archer - leave Bill to Columbus and focus on TFC! :scarf:
I have to agree. Although I haven't listened to this show yet (I am saving that for tommorrow morning) I listen to the show on a regular basis and really do enjoy it. It can get a little fan-boyish occassionaly but I think it does that in a good way. Archer was just a jerk and was baiting ben and dragged the whole show down with him. I was emabarassed for them! Apart from that you guys have done an excellent job and I hope you keep it up for a long time.

as for some people I think they just have a man-crush on Bull Sharter...if thats true go read his BS on BS and leave us alone

Mikey
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Why did the thread turn into a discussion on Bigot Archer?

It cant be much longer before he gets so backed up, he chokes on his own shit and dies, so let's move on.....

Did Cunningham have anything interesting to say?

It's Called Football
11-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Jeff Cunningham joins us to talk about his turnaround season, his time in Toronto and relationship with former TFC head coach John Carver and addresses the Reading rumours.

Dino Rossi from the Soccer Academy Alliance Canada also calls in to discuss the CSA response to the FIFA mandate on academies and what he expects to happen in the months ahead.

MLS playoffs, the Whitecaps kicking off in MLS in a temporary stadium and what TFC's next move should be - all in this week's show.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/358341

Are you listening to us daily? Why not? (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=301350624)

SweetOwnGoal
11-03-2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.24thminute.com/2009/11/its-called-football-jeff-cunningham.html

If you missed it...

Roogsy
11-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Why oh why does every single "gringo" up here call Chivas "shivas"???

Carlos Machado from Fox does the same thing. Ben and Ben were saying it wrong constantly.

Guys...everyone who is reading this....it's CHEE-Vas...the team isn't named after the drink!!!

Please stop it!

jloome
11-03-2009, 01:46 AM

Carlos Machado from Fox does the same thing. Ben and Ben were saying it wrong constantly.

Guys...everyone who is reading this....it's CHEE-Vas...the team isn't named after the drink!!!

Please stop it!

Holy annoying, eh?

I used to hate it when Fox called Gillingham "Gill-ingham", as in a fish.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-03-2009, 01:56 AM
itd be great if you guys could get an mp3 stream or dl available for those of us that hate/forgo ipods/mp4s/itunes

jloome
11-03-2009, 02:00 AM
To answer the earlier question, he basically said he never got his confidence back after his injury, and felt Carver gave up on him.

SweetOwnGoal
11-03-2009, 03:50 AM

Please stop it!

Pretty sure I say it CHEE-vas. I probably don't nail it because I'm awful at accents, but I've never said Shivas. That I know. CHEE-vis, I slip into every so often.

And it's GHER-ba, right ;)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Jeff Cunningham joins us to talk about his turnaround season, his time in Toronto and relationship with former TFC head coach John Carver and addresses the Reading rumours.

Dino Rossi from the Soccer Academy Alliance Canada also calls in to discuss the CSA response to the FIFA mandate on academies and what he expects to happen in the months ahead.

MLS playoffs, the Whitecaps kicking off in MLS in a temporary stadium and what TFC's next move should be - all in this week's show.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/358341

Are you listening to us daily? Why not? (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=301350624)

Installing temporary grandstands, concessions and washrooms....at the old Empire site...?

They should have a replica of BMO field when its all done!:D

London
11-03-2009, 04:45 AM
nothin like grinding salt into a wound eh?

DOMIN8R
11-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Ali Gerba (pronounced ZHER-ba)

No one - and I mean no one seems to get this right. Wait - actually I heard one television announcer get it right once.

FluSH
11-03-2009, 07:40 AM

Please stop it!

Now imagine if their team was sponsored by the drink...:D

Billy the kid
11-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Jeff Cunningham is good. We should sign him.

Roogsy
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure I say it CHEE-vas. I probably don't nail it because I'm awful at accents, but I've never said Shivas. That I know. CHEE-vis, I slip into every so often.

And it's GHER-ba, right ;)

Yeah, I did notice you didn't say it like the other two. You say it rather quickly so I can't pick it up, but at the very least I know you don't say it with the soft "shhhh"...

As for Ali...I think he's used to it. I asked him once, he just shrugged his shoulders. He knows people say his name wrong...at the very least we should at least attempt get it right. How annoying would it be if people called you Duane "role-ins".

SweetOwnGoal
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I did notice you didn't say it like the other two. You say it rather quickly so I can't pick it up, but at the very least I know you don't say it with the soft "shhhh"...

As for Ali...I think he's used to it. I asked him once, he just shrugged his shoulders. He knows people say his name wrong...at the very least we should at least attempt get it right. How annoying would it be if people called you Duane "role-ins".

Actually, and going way of topic now, people DO pronounce my name wrong all the time! Or, at least they pronounce it with a mid-American accent.

ROLL-ins, not RAWL-ins.

I, too, just shrug my shoulders nowadays though. Hell, I sometimes say it that way just to make it easier.

It's Called Football
11-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Ossington: you can download non-itunes versions here:

http://thatradio.podhoster.com/index.php?sid=1765

And there is usually a link to it from the Metro site. I forgot to post it this week.

Detroit_TFC
11-03-2009, 03:29 PM
It's spelled Raymond Luxury Yacht but pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove."

Ossington Mental Youth
11-03-2009, 08:26 PM
much appreciated

dupont
11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Very nice show. You guys get great guests on. Cunningham seemed to blame all his problems on Carver not sticking with him to give him confidence. The problem is though, look at Chad Barrett. He got the benefit of the doubt for almost the entire season but he never really found his stride. As a coach it must be difficult to just keep sticking with a striker that just isn't scoring.

Brooker
11-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I just think Cunningham can't handle the pressure of playing infront of 20k loud fans who will let you know when you fuck up.

Imagine how carefree soccer is in Dallas... the stands are empty.

Marco2K
11-04-2009, 10:10 PM
THATS BS. It has to be our STYLE of PLAY!!

Shakes McQueen
11-04-2009, 10:45 PM
It annoys me how mentally frail some soccer players can be, compared to other sports.

The idea that he basically sucked in his time here, because he "felt like Carver gave up on him", makes me see red. Get over it, whiner. This is a professional sports team, not a support group.

I thought the same thing last year, when I read all of the jabbering about how Chelsea "weren't playing for Scolari", and basically threw part of the season to get him removed. Get over yourselves, you prima donna, egotistical, mentally weak little whiners. You get paid a lot of money to do a job.

The bottom line is that Cunningham had chances, and didn't pot them when they presented themselves. Our system of play had nothing to do with him lazily botching that goal line sitter in the Montreal game, that basically cost us the CCL berth two seasons ago. That was 100% lazy, sulking, unprofessional assbag.

- Scott

Daveisonfire
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
It annoys me how mentally frail some soccer players can be, compared to other sports.

The idea that he basically sucked in his time here, because he "felt like Carver gave up on him", makes me see red. Get over it, whiner. This is a professional sports team, not a support group.

I thought the same thing last year, when I read all of the jabbering about how Chelsea "weren't playing for Scolari", and basically threw part of the season to get him removed. Get over yourselves, you prima donna, egotistical, mentally weak little whiners. You get paid a lot of money to do a job.

The bottom line is that Cunningham had chances, and didn't pot them when they presented themselves. Our system of play had nothing to do with him lazily botching that goal line sitter in the Montreal game, that basically cost us the CCL berth two seasons ago. That was 100% lazy, sulking, unprofessional assbag.

- Scott

Actually, Chelsea's poor start last year was due to Scolari's tactics and team selections.

Shakes McQueen
11-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Actually, Chelsea's poor start last year was due to Scolari's tactics and team selections.

I distinctly recall reading quotes from guys like the ever-temperamental Didier Drogba, that the team had given up on him.

And I also recall the Footy Show guys eviscerating them on their podcast for basically the same reason I mentioned.

- Scott

SilverSamurai
11-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Now imagine if their team was sponsored by the drink...:D
Nah... Bimbo is still #1. :D

They should sponsor a team from 1 of the Scandinavian countries. Then give out a bunch of kits to women fans. lol