PDA

View Full Version : DC United President Criticizes Colorado, New England, Fined $5K

ensco
11-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Hadn't seen this anywhere until today - it's getting lots of discussion on bigsoccer...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/10/payne_fined_5000.html?wprss=soccerinsider

Interesting that he didn't finger TFC.....

TFC07
11-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Hadn't seen this anywhere until today - it's getting lots of discussion on bigsoccer...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/10/payne_fined_5000.html?wprss=soccerinsider

To be fair, TFC isn't on anyone's radar despite TFC off-field success.

wzhxvy
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Well when you are the team that concedes the most goals in the last 15 minutes...you cant exactly be blamed for boring tactics...more like incompetent tactics.

ensco
11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
^Sure.

We get the worst of both worlds. We play a boring, defensive style, and we're hopeless at playing with a lead.

rocker
11-01-2009, 11:50 AM
i never saw TFC as a team that ever tried to be defensive.. even on the road they went for goal (@ KC, San Jose, Columbus etc...)

if anything, TFC paid little attention to defense and went forward, but sucked at finishing so there was no payoff.

ensco
11-01-2009, 11:53 AM
i never saw TFC as a team that ever tried to be defensive.. even on the road they went for goal (@ KC, San Jose, Columbus etc...)

if anything, TFC paid little attention to defense and went forward, but sucked at finishing so there was no payoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY

TFCRegina
11-01-2009, 02:59 PM
The DCU President was right about MLS.

CoachGT
11-01-2009, 04:42 PM
How many times have we seen opponents come into BMO and play for the draw? Happens week in and week out. That is the game plan. Sit back, try not to give anything up on the road, and if the opportunity presents itself, go for goal - just do't leave yourself exposed.

Easy to give that instruction to your team when on the road - you don't worry about how the game is played because they are not your fans.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
increasingly conservative tactic.....TFC?

if so....we would of been at BMO field this weekend!

CoachGT
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Actually, the reason he may not have used TFC in his comments was that in the games between DC and TFC over the past couple of years, especially the ones in DC, the games have been very entertaining. A couple of draws in DC and (I believe) the combined scores were 5-5 - plenty of offence for the North American fan, and the atmostphere of two very passionate supporters groups creating a good in-stadium atmosphere!

ag futbol
11-02-2009, 09:20 PM
^Sure.

We get the worst of both worlds. We play a boring, defensive style, and we're hopeless at playing with a lead.
Under Carver or in our first year i would have agreed with you, however to Cummins credit, he made TFC a much better team to watch.

While i agree we may have got "boring" late in games. I don't think that was about us trying to play crappy as much as our guys were gassed and we didn't have the personelle to really fire up a solid counter attack.

I regards to the rest of MLS, I mostly agree in regards to his targets. But at the same time you'd have to conceed that MLS isn't the most talented league in the world and the "beauty" of the play often reflects that.

james
11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Actually, the reason he may not have used TFC in his comments was that in the games between DC and TFC over the past couple of years, especially the ones in DC, the games have been very entertaining. A couple of draws in DC and (I believe) the combined scores were 5-5 - plenty of offence for the North American fan, and the atmostphere of two very passionate supporters groups creating a good in-stadium atmosphere!

ya the most entertainning team to see TFC play over the years has been vs DC United id say, and Chicago probably be the 2nd most entertaining team to see TFC play.

Pookie
11-03-2009, 03:56 PM
In a league where 7 teams are fighting for the final few playoff spots during the last game of the season, playing for the draw enables you to stay "in the hunt."

I don't think it's completely a function of MLS. In the NHL, ties are rewarded with points. The focus becomes "don't lose" just get to OT.