PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Gala Scores Today

prizby
10-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Was covering a game today...just thought I'd copy and past my press release and pass on the news that Gabe Gala is a goal scorer and the answer to TFC's problems for next season!!! (Next year's Nana)

VOYAGEURS OUSTED FROM PLAYOFFS BY #5 BLUES 4-0 Oct-31-2009

TORONTO - The Laurentian Voyageurs ended their season with a heart breaking 4-0 defeat to the number five ranked University of Toronto Varsity Blues on October 31. Nordo Gooden of Kingston, Jamaica scored the opening goal in the first half. Toronto FC developmental player Gabe Gala of Brampton, Ontario added to the scoring in the second half followed by two insurance goals by Geoffrey Borgmann of Mississauga, Ontario. John Smits also of Mississauga kept the shut-out for the Varsity Blues while Scott Cliff of Hanmer, Ontario tended the Voyageurs net for the final time of his university career.

The Voyageurs went into the game missing a couple of players due illness. They came out in the first half and matched the Blues step for step in the first 35 minutes. In the 36th minute Gooden broke the dead-lock and the led his team into half with a 1-0 score.

In the second half, the Toronto came out rolling led by Galas 47th minute goal. Borgmann would put the finishing touches on the night in the 56th and 61st minute giving Toronto a 4-0 lead. The Voyageurs, a bit dejected after this, tried very hard to battle back, but some costly cards led to the ejection of Daniel O'Connor of Ajax, Ontario and Hamilton native Dan Mazzuca. Roger Teves of Brampton had a strong game for the Voyageurs.

"After the second goal the wheels fell off and we couldn't battle back," said head coach Carlo Castrechino. "We got a couple of red cards and even with a couple of men down, we battled right to the end."

"I am very proud of the boys; especially the graduating boys and we left everything on the field while losing to a great team."

The 2009 Voyageurs soccer season comes to a close following the loss on Saturday. Check in with www.luvoyageurs.com (http://www.luvoyageurs.com/) for season re-caps and awards coming up real soon.

Laurentian University's Department of Athletics and Recreation is home to 12 varsity sports as well as numerous intramural, recreation and fitness programs. The Voyageurs and Lady Vees varsity teams have brought home 61 provincial championships as well as 9 national championships in 49 years of competition

Michael Przybylowski
Sports Information Writer

Kevvv
10-31-2009, 09:35 PM
So THAT's where prizby comes from.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the Gala info. Prizby. I'm hoping Gala becomes next years Nana. It's funny, in season one it looked like Gala was joining to the young Canadian to break out with the team, starting two games for TFC, but he's been glued to the bench ever since.

Nazzer
10-31-2009, 09:48 PM
How is Gala elible to play for Laurentian and Lombardo was ineligble to play for a Univtersity team?

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Gala plays for U of T. I believe he's eligible as he's a development as opposed to senior roster player. Lombardo played for TFC as both a developmental and senior roster player which I believe as the infraction.

prizby
10-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Kevvv - correct...nickname picked up in grade 5 thanks to my grade 5 teacher

Gala plays for U of T. I believe he's eligible as he's a development as opposed to senior roster player. Lombardo played for TFC as both a developmental and senior roster player which I believe as the infraction.

This is correct...unfortunately two years in a row Gala has burned Laurentian in the OUA quarterfinals (last year a lot more closer and with questionable reffing)

Gala (as i reported) a developmental player, has his amateur status protected as far as I know

Lombardo, very long story short (cuz i could go all day about this), was considered a "senior" player or that was his contract...which meant he'd have to sit out a year...so after 4 games...from what i was told, the RMC head coach (RMC is in oua east, York is in oua west, thus they'd never play each other and never would have played York unless in playoffs which RMC...come on LOL) complained about Lombardo resulting in York to stop playing him - result was, York forfeited their first games, won 9 and drew 1 for the rest of the season (would have been 13-0-1)...so basically York got saved and won the CIS championship thanks to the RMC head coach

btw York was upset today by the 6th seed in the OUA west (something like 11th or 12 in the OUA) - Western...Lombardo picked up a red card.

Canadian Blue
10-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow.......he scored in the CIS he must be a superstar.

Wighty
10-31-2009, 10:58 PM
the RMC head coach (RMC is in oua east, York is in oua west, thus they'd never play each other and never would have played York unless in playoffs which RMC...come on LOL) complained about Lombardo resulting in York to stop playing him

Wow, the military really is all about rules and regs.

sulfur
11-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Lombardo was a dev player until season #2. He played the first two games for TFC as a senior player. That fall, he joined the York squad when he went back to school. Scored 3-4 times in his first couple of games too.

Gala's always been a dev player, and that's why he didn't play much for TFC this year. It was to preserve his dev status (which gets dropped if he plays over X minutes, etc, etc). I believe that this was his final year of university, so we should see him playing more next year -- assuming that he stays with the squad.

Yohan
11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Lombardo was a dev player until season #2. He played the first two games for TFC as a senior player. That fall, he joined the York squad when he went back to school. Scored 3-4 times in his first couple of games too.

Gala's always been a dev player, and that's why he didn't play much for TFC this year. It was to preserve his dev status (which gets dropped if he plays over X minutes, etc, etc). I believe that this was his final year of university, so we should see him playing more next year -- assuming that he stays with the squad.
I bloody hope so. he was good in two friendlies against tough opposition and he's a genuine winger to boot

deserves a chance, just like Nana and Gomez got

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-01-2009, 10:37 AM

Not convinced this is why Gala doesn't play. Not an issue of not playing much, he didn't play at all (did he even get garbage time mins. this year?).

Ossington Mental Youth
11-01-2009, 08:35 PM
what is Gala's natural position?
I would like to see more of him in the near future thats for certain

JDG
11-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the share!

Here's the link to the article: http://www.luvoyageurs.com/headlines/Headlines.cfm?HeadlineID=1922

prizby
11-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Wow.......he scored in the CIS he must be a superstar.

And he is now a proven goal scorer, unlike some, 1 game, 1 goal

Lombardo scored once in the four games

what is Gala's natural position?
I would like to see more of him in the near future thats for certain

LB, sometimes left midfield, for UofT i believe LM

no problem JDG :)

VPjr
11-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Gala was not held out of TFC's roster to protect his CIS status...

Gala is a midfielder. For the U20 MNT, he was projected to slot in behind the strikers but he never got to show what he could do because Fonseca gave him the boot for his very poor attitude (which is the reputation he's carried around for years, way back to when he was a start OYSL player)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-02-2009, 01:45 AM
its a wonder why hes not getting a chance to play the midfield position considering how relatively well hes done there the few times hes had a chance to go. Is his attitude really that poor?

C.Ronaldo
11-02-2009, 09:31 AM
some one slap the kid into place and get him playing