PDA

View Full Version : Target man striker: do we want another one?

Yohan
10-31-2009, 01:20 PM
An era of TFC has ended with Danny Dichio's retirement, and the long ball to target man striker game. (I'm not saying long ball is gone btw)

Dichio was the classic English target man striker. Strong, good in the air to win balls and deft first touch and ability to hold the ball while waiting for teammates to arrive.

Using Dichio was pretty much the only potent offence TFC had in year 1 and 2. Though TFC tried to move away from long ball to target striker game, and tried to introduce more possession oriented offence, long ball game was still there.

This is not a criticism of Dichio's game. But it is a look into TFC's offensive game.

I watched Bolton play Chelsea earlier today, and I realized how effective a SMART target man long ball game could be.

Bolton has a target man in Kevin Davies. He wins a lot of balls in the air, and he can hold the ball and let his teammates get into the play. He created 2 good chances for his teammates in 1st half.

BUT, long ball is not Bolton's first option. They play also a possession game where if they can, they will try to move the ball up the field using their midfielders trying to use the entire pitch to create offence.

Only when they do not have an option, or they see an opening for a quick counter to take advantage of opposition's defence not being set, or an opening do the backline or the DM launches a long ball to Davies, who will more often or not, create something.

This is smart football. Bolton is not the most talented or gifted individually, but they are well organized. They don't use long ball as the sole or the primary option for offence, unlike TFC.

One of the reasons why TFC's offence was so stifled in year one was the sole reliance on Dichio to create offence, because TFC had no other reliable offensive option.

Predictability gets you killed.

But the target man offence did work. And I still think it could be part of TFC options.

Problem is, I wonder if the overreliance on Dichio taught TFC a bad habit of launching long balls and hope that someone gets on the end of it.

TFC isn't exactly a team with a lot of footy IQ, if this season proved anything.

But a target man striker, with DeRo playing just behind could provide an offensive option. Target man wins the long ball in the air. First touch to DeRo to run onto. This would be a secondary option.

Primary option is to move up the ball through the middle, utilizing JDG/Guevara as creator as CM to play possession based offence.

This would require a smart manager to implement the plan, and also finding a target man striker who is right for TFC. The problem is, classic target man striker is harder to find nowadays.

Food for thought

TFCtoMUFC
10-31-2009, 01:33 PM
A target man striker would do us a lot of good. We have good midfielders in Cronin, DeGuz and Sanyang that can move the ball up the field to "future target man striker" as well as playing longball with Attakora and Gomez was good at it.

jloome
10-31-2009, 02:53 PM
This league is built for target men, because it's about speed and physicality, work rate etc. A guy who's big and can hold up a ball in that atmosphere is worth a lot upfront.

I still think Julius James would've made a better target man than defender.

Roogsy
10-31-2009, 02:59 PM
This league is built for target men, because it's about speed and physicality, work rate etc. A guy who's big and can hold up a ball in that atmosphere is worth a lot upfront.

Agreed on both points.

That's why Connor Casey had success this year. If only TFC had ever had him on our roster....

Er...

torfchamilton
10-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Julius James is too short and really has no technical ability other than a great vertical. We need a target man who can hold up the ball when needed but can also turn a man when needed. Dichio was good at holding the ball up, but not turning a guy and going to goal. The likes of Casey, Jacqua, Ching and others in the league is that they can do both really well. That is what I have asked MO since season 1 and we keep getting guys who can do one or the other and sometimes it is actually that they can do neither.

trane
10-31-2009, 07:11 PM
I had started a thread like this even before Dichio retiered. We looked better as a team when we played with a targetman. I agree with jloome's points.

billyfly
10-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Hold on. We have one?

[NBF]
10-31-2009, 08:53 PM
1. Rob Friend, automatically comes to mind. No goals so far for Monchengladbach this season.

2. Cameron Weaver from KC Wizards.

3. Andrew Boyens from NYRB. Could he convert? 2nd time's a charm?

4. Andrea Lombardo, 2nd time around?

5. Knox Cameron, from USL?

6. Charles Gbeke, free agent, he would make a good back up target man.

7. Morike Sako, formerly of Rochdale A.F.C. in League 2.

Pachuco
10-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Don't like target men. Don't like the style of play and I sure as hell don't think it's the most effective way to win. 5 out of the 6 top scorers in the league weren't target man. I want a Montero, not a Cassey. That's just my opinion.

CretanBull
10-31-2009, 09:15 PM
;775763']1. Rob Friend, automatically comes to mind. No goals so far for Monchengladbach this season.

2. Cameron Weaver from KC Wizards.

3. Andrew Boyens from NYRB. Could he convert? 2nd time's a charm?

4. Andrea Lombardo, 2nd time around?

5. Knox Cameron, from USL?

6. Charles Gbeke, free agent, he would make a good back up target man.

7. Morike Sako, formerly of Rochdale A.F.C. in League 2.

1. YES!
2. Worth a shot (he plays for Houston BTW)
3. NO!
4. NO!
5. Haven't seen him play
6. Yes (as a bench striker, he'd come on a budget and would do better than some of the guys we have now).
7. Haven't seen him play.

CoachGT
10-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Hold on. We have one?

I've always believed that Gerba and White play similar styles to a target approach. They just don't have the same physical presence that Dichio has, but Gerba isn't that far off.

jloome
10-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Is Marcus Haber at Vancouver strong enough? He'd be a good pickup. Alan Gordon at LA is underrated as well. Kind of like Dichio but more lumbering. Ok, maybe forget that last one.

neuf
10-31-2009, 11:36 PM
;775763']1. Rob Friend, automatically comes to mind. No goals so far for Monchengladbach this season.

He scored the game-winner against Hamburg today :(

Yohan
11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Don't like target men. Don't like the style of play and I sure as hell don't think it's the most effective way to win. 5 out of the 6 top scorers in the league weren't target man. I want a Montero, not a Cassey. That's just my opinion.
without Jaqua, Montero would be less effective. without Casey, Omar Cummings would have been less effective.

target man rarely is the top scorer in his team. his effectiveness is rarely measured by stats

RedsYNWA
11-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Is Jan Koller available for a year, or how about Nikola Zigic

Hitcho
11-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Heskey can't get a game at Villa... :D

I think we should try and build a passing style now we have JDG, Guevara and De Ro in the side. We're lacking an obvious target man and have no wingers, but we do have plenty of skillful passing talent through the midfield.

That said, I'd kill for another target man with Dichio's ability to hold up the ball or make things happen with a clean first touch. That goal against NER wasn't bad either...

MUFC_Niagara
11-02-2009, 12:06 AM

I agree, and would love to have another target man!

trane
11-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Huntelaar is not seeing much playing time at Milan.

[piss take]

Pachuco
11-02-2009, 12:45 PM
without Jaqua, Montero would be less effective. without Casey, Omar Cummings would have been less effective.

target man rarely is the top scorer in his team. his effectiveness is rarely measured by stats

Those are some pretty big assumptions you make. I mean, Montero was succesfull without Jaqua, although I agree that in the MLS they both pair up well. The problem with TFC is we don't have a Montero, but we do have OB White who I think can can develop into a target man.

#1 priority for me is to get a guy who can put the ball in the net. And then, maybe then we can look at who the best person is to play beside him.

If they both come then great, but can we trust Mo to sign two strikers in the offseason? Doubt it.

ACSertL
11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Just a technical note. Rob Friend has at least one goal his year for Gladbach...it came in the 82nd minute of Saturday's game and was the winner away to previously unbeaten Hamburg.

[/end tangent] :)

Kaz
11-02-2009, 11:16 PM
think we might give Gerba, and White a chance to perform first? Gerba came in outta shape, and White just came of injury, we won't see the best out of them until next season...

I don't have much hope for Gerba, but White could be great.

Just my opinion but lets get a decent back line and a winger, and see if a striker is actually needed if we have a decent winger or two

Ossington Mental Youth
11-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I tend to agree with Kaz, although id still like to see a signing (or two) up front, i dont feel comfortable feeding Gerba and White to the wolves (i dont think anyone has given up on White quite yet, hes showed alot of promise, Gerba on the other hand is out of shape and hasnt really had a chance imo)

jloome
11-02-2009, 11:35 PM
we do have OB White who I think can can develop into a target man.

Good call. He'd be a good forward generally, able to create goals but also hold it up, if he can put some more muscle on. His movement was much better in those last two games as well.