PDA

View Full Version : How to make MLS better: punish divers

Yohan
10-31-2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/a-league/aleague-ban-150-cheats146-prospects-take-a-dive/2009/07/29/1248546773805.html

A-League ban – cheats’ prospects take a dive

Michael Cockerill
July 30, 2009

Page 1 of 2 | Single page (http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/a-league/aleague-ban-150-cheats146-prospects-take-a-dive/2009/07/29/1248546773805.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1)

FOOTBALL Federation Australia has launched a full assault on divers, with cheats to be banned retrospectively on video evidence under changes to the A-League’s disciplinary codes to be introduced this season.

The FFA will today unveil the tough new measures which will name and shame players who dive. A clause to be added to the regulations will compel the weekly match review panel to search for instances of simulation missed by the referee, and to ban the culprits for two weeks if they dive to win a penalty, to get an opponent sent off, or both. If a player is sent off as a result of an opponent’s simulation, he will be able to have his red card rescinded.

more on link

retroactive review of games to sniff out divers and punish them? hell yes!

watch out Schelotto and Blanco! lol

Blazer
10-31-2009, 12:53 PM
How to make this game better … punish divers.

werewolf
10-31-2009, 12:57 PM
full agree on both posts. Good initiative by the A-league, MLS (and leagues around the world) should take a serious look at implementing something similar.

Yohan
10-31-2009, 01:20 PM
SPL apparently has same thing

TFC OZZ
10-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Fantastic idea is all I can say. Should have happened sooner.

TFC07
10-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Lol....Too bad CONCACAF will never adopt this. :facepalm:

prizby
11-01-2009, 09:32 AM
watch out Schelotto and Blanco! lol

guevara too

james
11-02-2009, 12:05 AM
ya the whole soccer world needs to get tough on divers. Ive herd them say this before in other countries but then when i see a game i see divers still get away with it. I hope this time the league means it.

Diving is what gives soccer a bad name, there should be no place for diving in soccer.

james
11-02-2009, 12:06 AM
guevara too

ya thats one reason i never fully respected his soccer talent. I cant stand players that dive.

Raging Reggie
11-02-2009, 12:46 AM
great idea but lets hope its fully enforced. Its something that should be adapted in all leagues, there is no place for it.

I dont understand why they dont impliment something like this for live games too though. I understand how people say it "ohh it would slow down the game stop to a halt yada yada yada" but how often do you watch the game and there is a bullshit call or goal or penelty and the players are wasting up the time argueing with the ref and i see a replay of it 5 times on the TV and when it goes back to life action the players are still complaining and play is not going on. Should be a ref in a booth that can make the quick obvious judgement on crucial plays and quickly relay the message to the ref to overturn it while players are still argueing in the refs ear on penelties, cards and goals....

GuelphStorm2007
11-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Lol....Too bad CONCACAF will never adopt this. :facepalm:

I agree CONCACAF would never adopt something like this, Teams like USA, HONDURAS, EL SALVADOR would never win a game.:hump:

james
11-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I agree CONCACAF would never adopt something like this, Teams like USA, HONDURAS, EL SALVADOR would never win a game.:hump:

tho i hate USA, there diving is not nearly at the same level as Honduras and El Salvador. USA arent that bad when it comes to diving. Much worse was seeing Italy flopping all over the field vs USA back in 2006 world cup.

ag futbol
11-02-2009, 09:24 PM
You know what, out of all the games i watched this year maybe a few were ruined by diving, but a lot more were ruined by tactical fouls and rubbing the skilled players out of the picture with grubby play.

MLS "supposedly" models it's officiating and a number of other things after bundesliga. That seems to be a reasonable path to take. Overly rewarding physicality makes for unattractive soccer, but i don't want to watch a bunch of ponces role around on the field either.

TorCanSoc
11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I've been saying this for years and they heard it in Australia!! Wow I'm good. :)

Good to watch other leagues iron out the details of this, then implement based on their lessons learned. Its not about missed calls for the ref. Its about those that are shamelessly trying to dupe the ref.

Auzzy
11-06-2009, 11:53 PM
This one is probably very old, but I just saw it for the first time & I love it. Mr. T deals with a diver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAPXGuRIXsA

Gixmo
11-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Hahaha... Mr T...

Video replay, live.. no. I understand the why, but the worst thing you can do is undermine an official. It's a touchy line. If the referee/assistant does not see it, Sure - Introduce video but if the referee rules penalty/no penalty or discipline/no discipline that's the call.

It has the potential to work and the SPL is showing that, albeit at the rath of Mr. Blatter and Platini who have thier own views on video replay. I would think we have a better shot of seeing the cameras at the goal before it goes to 'after match review'. Match reports, at least in the EPL, can be reviewed upon submission for further review.

Then again, video is better then more officials - Those poor 5th officials in the Coca Cola League (I think it's them?) have got to get a ton of stick!

GhostKiller
11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I've been in Italy the last few weeks taking in some games, and I actually feel greatful that I follow MLS for this reason. Not just the dives, but the flopping around on the field after contact. Then they pop back to life like it never happened. Waaaay worse out here.
Sports violence in North America is something thats been enbeded into our culture, so I'm surprised that tougher sanctions havent been made here first. Looking at that Montero replay when Onstad ran into him makes me sick. Its hard to sell soccer in North America when thats what your putting out there.