PDA

View Full Version : Blanco heading back to play in Mexico

anto7
10-31-2009, 12:06 PM
RELATED
Cuauhtemoc Blanco player profile
Cuauhtemoc Blanco highlights
2009 MLS Cup Playoffs coverage
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- The Cuauhtemoc Blanco era for the Chicago Fire is about to end. Or is it?
Writing on his own Spanish language web site, Cuauhtemoc-blanco.com, the Mexican superstar midfielder Thursday announced plans to return to the Mexican Primera Division to play for Veracruz during the winter season, beginning in January.

Blanco wrote that he was keeping a promise when he made the decision.

"I had a great experience in MLS, where they treated me very well, but at this stage of my career there were some clubs from the Mexican league that wanted me to come home," Blanco said. "I will start a new stage in Veracruz, a place where I used to play and I promised to come back."

However, Blanco's agent, Jose Manuel Sanz, and the Fire are continuing conversations about bringing Blanco back to MLS next summer following the Mexican league season and possible participation in the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

"He's been a valuable member of the Fire, and we respect his desire to continue playing in Mexico during the MLS offseason and continue preparing for the 2010 World Cup, which is a top priority for him," Fire technical director Frank Klopas said. "We will continue our dialogue with his agent regarding Blanco playing for the Fire in the second half of the 2010 season and beyond."

The Fire said Blanco's contract with Veracruz includes an opt-out clause that would allow him to return to MLS next year. But Blanco's current contract with MLS expires at the end of this season, so a new contract would have to be negotiated. "[Blanco] signed for exactly one year with the possibility of returning to MLS in the second part of the season," Sanz told ESPN Deportes.

Blanco will be in uniform on Sunday and expected to be available for starting duty when the Fire take on the New England Revolution in the first game of their Eastern Conference Semifinal Series.

"Cuauhtemoc Blanco is under contract with the Chicago Fire through the end of the year and remains focused, along with the rest of the club, on winning the MLS Cup in 2009," Klopas said.

Blanco played for Veracruz in 2004. He also played for Club America and Necaxa in the Mexican Primera Division, and played one season for Real Valladolid in Spain. He also went to Santos Laguna on loan following the 2008 MLS season for the Mexican Primera Division playoffs.

Earlier this year, Blanco had announced his retirement from international play, but after returning to the Mexican national team in June, he led it back from the brink of World Cup elimination with six consecutive victories. He is hoping to play in a third World Cup next summer, having played in 1998 and 2002 before being left out of the 2006 team.

The 36-year-old Blanco had five goals and eight assists with the Fire this season in 21 games, missing a number of games due to injury as well as his national team commitments. In 62 MLS games over three seasons, Blanco has 16 goals and 26 assists.

Kent McDill is a contributor to MLSnet.com.