PDA

View Full Version : SoccerCentral on Sportsnet today: MoJo

sulfur
10-31-2009, 09:54 AM
According to Gerry Dobson, they'll have MoJo on SoccerCentral after the match today. With the time change overseas, that puts SC's start at about 1pm ET.

flatpicker
10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Let's go Bolton!

:)

anto7
10-31-2009, 11:15 AM
According to Gerry Dobson, they'll have MoJo on SoccerCentral after the match today. With the time change overseas, that puts SC's start at about 1pm ET.
Darn, this clashes with the Man Utd game. Hey Sulphur, I know you really want to watch Man Utd but could you please watch the MoJo interview instead and tell us what he says !!

sulfur
10-31-2009, 11:27 AM
You're in luck.

Your Man Utd game doesn't start until 1:30. :)

anto7
10-31-2009, 11:29 AM
You're in luck.

Your Man Utd game doesn't start until 1:30. :)
Why would you want to watch Juve, that's worse than watching Leeds !!!

anto7
10-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Why would you want to watch Juve, that's worse than watching Leeds !!!
O.K. That's wierd, I replied to your post about watching the Juventus game and now that post is gone !

sulfur
10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
O.K. That's wierd, I replied to your post about watching the Juventus game and now that post is gone !
Changed my mind and edited the post. :)

ACSertL
10-31-2009, 12:07 PM
That pumpkin looks pretty ghetto.

wzhxvy
10-31-2009, 12:10 PM
He's coming up after the commericials in 1 min.

sulfur
10-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Some quotes:

"We have a much better team", and "we're a bit surprised at the level of criticism".

If we still had JC, it would've been a different season. CC and ND were both young and did a hell of a job learning on the fly.

wzhxvy
10-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Now he's really blaming CC...all class MO

sulfur
10-31-2009, 12:15 PM
CC wanted to go home and we would've preferred to keep him on.

wzhxvy
10-31-2009, 12:16 PM
This is not a good interview

sulfur
10-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Some good questions, and some good side-stepping by MoJo. :)

wzhxvy
Sounds like they will give Gerba the preseason next year to see how he does

DOMIN8R
Did he just say that to get Gerba he had to take Garcia as well? Garcia was part of that deal?

wzhxvy
10-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Did he just say that to get Gerba he had to take Garcia as well? Garcia was part of that deal?

He did...in his own eloquent way...but he didnt exactly give Gerba a glowing review either...Mo is in self preservation mode now...I dont believe anything that comes out of his trap

DOMIN8R
10-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Did anyone record that interview?

DOMIN8R
10-31-2009, 12:21 PM
There was alot of blog talk, pre-garcia acquisition, that Garcia was toxic at San Hose.

Maybe to get the rights to Gerba he did, in fact, have to take Garcia.

boban
Ok. Serious question. In light of the appearance on Soccer Central, what is Mo's job?

sulfur
San Jose was only willing to give up Gerba's rights to TFC if TFC also took Garcia.

anto7
10-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Some good questions, and some good side-stepping by MoJo. :)
Credit to Dobson & Forrest, they tried their best to put him on the spot with difficult questions but that slimey bastard wriggles his way out every time.

jabbronies
10-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Not surprised by any of it. He wasn't going to say anything that he didn't say in the press conference.

- He restated that CC wasn't fired, that they wanted to keep him on, but CC wanted to be with his family back home.

- Side stepped the question about wether he should've hired an experience MLS coach 2 seasons ago instead of hiring JC.

wzhxvy
Guys, so what if he had to take Garcia ??? they freaking started him when they acquired him...this revisionist history is ridiculous.

anto7
Credit to Dobson & Forrest, they tried their best to put him on the spot with difficult questions but that slimey bastard wriggles his way out every time.
New coach will have full control, 100%, just like Chris did !
Bullshit

jabbronies
10-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Ok. Serious question. In light of the appearance on Soccer Central, what is Mo's job?

Director of Soccer:

In charge of all things soccer; hiring coaches and assistants, signing/trading players, running the academy.

FluSH
10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks... tuned in

anto7
10-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Sounds like they will give Gerba the preseason next year to see how he does
He said that he hopes Ali can get it back in pre-season but then added that he "doubts that it can happen" or something along those lines

boban
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Director of Soccer:

In charge of all things soccer; hiring coaches and assistants, signing/trading players, running the academy.
Mo himself says coaches have authority on which players to get rid of and which to sign. Alsemi or Paul could hire the coach at that point.
Seriously, I don't see a point to him being employed by MLSE.

jabbronies
10-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Mo himself says coaches have authority on which players to get rid of and which to sign. Alsemi or Paul could hire the coach at that point.
Seriously, I don't see a point to him being employed by MLSE.

It allows the coach to focus on the field product and molding that.

This way all the coach has to do is say: "I need a defender, these are the guys I want in order" then Mo does all the leg work to get that player. Also, all of the other non-first team stuff such as the academy is done by Mo - again so all the coach has to do is show up to academy games and watch the players develop and give his direction.

Makes sense in theory. I just don't know how it's working in practice. Maybe an expereinced MLS coach will be able to do this better?

boban
10-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Yet other teams don't have that system and do alot better.
An experienced coach wouldn't stand for it. A butting of heads would be inevitable.
At least with any coach of significant merit.

Yohan
10-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Gerba needs to be put on the chubby chaser and lose some weight big time off season

if he still suffers from chronic slowness and lack of mobility next season, he's going to be useless as a striker no matter how good he is at putting away chances.

we really dont need a statue to play striker

ua-kozak_TFC
10-31-2009, 12:53 PM
It allows the coach to focus on the field product and molding that.

This way all the coach has to do is say: "I need a defender, these are the guys I want in order" then Mo does all the leg work to get that player. Also, all of the other non-first team stuff such as the academy is done by Mo - again so all the coach has to do is show up to academy games and watch the players develop and give his direction.

Makes sense in theory. I just don't know how it's working in practice. Maybe an expereinced MLS coach will be able to do this better?
i think does should go into "" quotations...because he's been looking in the off-season for a couple of defenders since 2007...yet at the start of season our squad looks the same aside from the drafted players...

jabbronies
10-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Yet other teams don't have that system and do alot better.
An experienced coach wouldn't stand for it. A butting of heads would be inevitable.
At least with any coach of significant merit.

True, in the player signing portion of the job. We just don't know how that really work on this team. Alot of people have thier ideas, but no one - including two ex-coaches - have come out and said how it works.

As for the rest of soccer operations, most teams have a "Director of Soccer" type personal who handles other non-first team related things such as academy stuff.

druid
10-31-2009, 01:18 PM
True, in the player signing portion of the job. We just don't know how that really work on this team. Alot of people have thier ideas, but no one - including two ex-coaches - have come out and said how it works.

As for the rest of soccer operations, most teams have a "Director of Soccer" type personal who handles other non-first team related things such as academy stuff.

Did Mo ever play for anything length of time at a club that used the Director system? I can't think of one but I know nothing about Kanas City.

kdzb
10-31-2009, 01:33 PM

I believe MO is lying here, because if you know that you are forced to get something else to be able to get what you want, then as a good manager, you don't have to play that other player and MO could have made an effort to offload him to another team even for allocation.
I remember when Garcia came on board, everybody was praising him and that he will bring some leadership in defence with his experience and he will complete Serioux.
All I saw was the worst 2 central defenders in MLS.

Sullivan
10-31-2009, 01:39 PM

He explains it here to Chick Young, a BBC commentator with a program about football in Scotland.

I posted this link in the 590 thread as well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00nx0s1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00nx0s1)

Mo is the 1st guest. He yaps about his role as Director of Football. Talks about the $2.3 salary cap for just 20 players and the markets that he's limited to. Speaks highly of Carver and how well they got on - zip about CC.

jabbronies
10-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Did Mo ever play for anything length of time at a club that used the Directory system? I can't think of one but I know nothing about Kanas City.

No idea. Seems like alot of MLS teams run things in different ways:

Kansas City Peter Vermes is both Technical Director and Interm Head Coach. And in LA Bruce Arena is both General Manager and Head Coach.

In Columbus and Chicago the Head coach and Technical Director are two different people.

In New England, Steve Nicol is head coach and there isn't a Technical Director postions, at least not listed on the site. But they do have a Soccer Operations Coordinator but I don't think he deals in player transfers, just says "administration of players coaches" among other things.

As you can see, there is no single system in MLS. Seems that every team has it's own designations and roles for each postion.

However, I'm sure most of the big coaches - Steve Nicol, Sigi Schmid, Bruce Arena - do thier own player signings with recommendations from the scouting staff. I just don't know thier exact system.

kdzb
10-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Gerba needs to be put on the chubby chaser and lose some weight big time off season

if he still suffers from chronic slowness and lack of mobility next season, he's going to be useless as a striker no matter how good he is at putting away chances.

we really dont need a statue to play striker

:picard: Remember Yohan, we were saying the same thing about Colin Samuel.
I believe Gerba is the exact player of Samuel and he is even as fat and imobile as him.
The only difference here is that Gerba is Canadian and we are giving him more love and being forgiving just because of that.
That make us look like hypocrite fans.
Personally, I think that he got his chance and he blew it. I don't give a rat if he is Canadian or not but Gerba should go.

ensco
10-31-2009, 01:52 PM
If Garcia was included because SJ insisted it was the only way TFC could get Gerba, so what?

Nobody put a gun to Mo's head and said "Get Gerba, whatever it takes".

Or did they?

jabbronies
10-31-2009, 01:54 PM
:picard: Remember Yohan, we were saying the same thing about Colin Samuel.
I believe Gerba is the exact player of Samuel and he is even as fat and imobile as him.
The only difference here is that Gerba is Canadian and we are giving him more love and being forgiving just because of that.
That make us look like hypocrite fans.
Personally, I think that he got his chance and he blew it. I don't give a rat if he is Canadian or not but Gerba should go.

I must say, Gerba does hustle each game alot more than Samuel did in his entire time at TFC.
I've seen him charge for the ball quiet a few times. The thing is, Gerba can only do it a few times a game. I think he needs to get into shape so that he can do it a few more times during the game. I don't expect him to do it for 75 minutes, I think he's more of a 35-45 minute guy even when he is in shape

Roogsy
10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
The interview didn't have any new information. Mo and MLSE are in PR mode.

The truth is that everything Mo said today was almost word for word what he said last year around this time. So with a full year under his belt, a couple more points and the same place in the standings is considered progress by some?

Weird. At this rate, we will make the playoffs by 2012, but according to the movie and the Mayans, we won't be here to see it because of the apocalypse. Sucks to be us I suppose.

jloome
10-31-2009, 02:51 PM
If Garcia was included because SJ insisted it was the only way TFC could get Gerba, so what?

Nobody put a gun to Mo's head and said "Get Gerba, whatever it takes".

Or did they?

Uh, everyone's forgetting that when we got Garcia, Mo said he had been pursuing him since he was still with KC. So this is just more unadulterated bullshit.

olegunnar
10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Uh, everyone's forgetting that when we got Garcia, Mo said he had been pursuing him since he was still with KC. So this is just more unadulterated bullshit.

"We are very happy to bring in a defender with Nick's experience," said Johnston. "We tried to bring him in before and finally we were able to get a deal done. He plays 90 minutes every game, he's quick, and he knows this league inside and out. On Ali Gerba, he's another one that's been on our radar, and we look forward to sitting down with him and getting a contract signed as soon as we can."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090609&content_id=5225238&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

ensco
10-31-2009, 04:08 PM

I know that, but it's not about Mo anymore. It's about Anselmi.

I think it's 100% over. Mo's relationships with players, reporters, fans are totally poisoned. I will bet you $10 that he is gone by February 1.

League will step in. Garber probably taking David Stern out for a drink right about now, to hear the story about Colangelo. Anselmi's need to not look like an idiot is not their problem.

Just as soon as Mo proposes some joke coaching candidate, Garber will tell Peddie that Mo has to go.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-31-2009, 04:10 PM

garcia was ythe best part of the deal....Gerba is how you say...SHITE!!

DOMIN8R
10-31-2009, 04:18 PM

I think it's 100% over. Mo's relationships with players, reporters, fans are totally poisoned. I will bet you $10 that he is gone by February 1.

League will step in. Garber probably taking David Stern out for a drink right about now, to hear the story about Colangelo. Anselmi's need to not look like an idiot is not their problem.

Just as soon as Mo proposes some joke coaching candidate, Garber will tell Peddie that Mo has to go.

I'll take that bet, E.

rocker
10-31-2009, 04:22 PM
.Gerba is how you say...SHITE!!

so how come he's so good for Canada then?

does he turn it on for Canada and off for TFC? or maybe does coaching have something to do with it?

Until we get a good MLS coach, I'm not focusing on individual shortcomings.
If we have Steve Nicol and Gerba doesn't get it done, then I'd change my focus.

CoachGT
10-31-2009, 04:22 PM

And at the time, we were experiencing a few challenges with having enough healthy bodies on the backline. When Garcia arrived, most on the board seemed to think that having an experienced backline defender was just what we needed. Add to that his obvious leadership on the backline and it appeared (to me anyway) that he had a positive contribution to Attakora's development.

Not many people took note that the Quakes supporters were happy to see him move on because of the rough start he had to the season.

Add to that Gerba's introduction to the team and I still think that Mo did well with this transaction. Pretty much everyone knew what Gerba was about when we brought him in.

ensco
10-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I'll take that bet, E.

You're on.

wzhxvy
10-31-2009, 04:38 PM

I hope you are right. I want that to happen but everything that is being said by MLSE is to the contrary. But I do have a feeling that something is up. People dont generally start speaking on behalf of the league if something is not up. Like I said before, for Anselmi to do it, he has to pretend or actually have new information that would cause him to fire Mo or he has to wait for the right moment...if the team underperforms next season.

Shakes McQueen
10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
The interview didn't have any new information. Mo and MLSE are in PR mode.

The truth is that everything Mo said today was almost word for word what he said last year around this time. So with a full year under his belt, a couple more points and the same place in the standings is considered progress by some?

Weird. At this rate, we will make the playoffs by 2012, but according to the movie and the Mayans, we won't be here to see it because of the apocalypse. Sucks to be us I suppose.

The whole "we have more points since last year, so that's progress" thing is really voodoo logic, when you think about it.

Under that scenario, once we get enough points to start making the post-season, we should NEVER finish out of the playoffs ever again.

Or, we are supposed to agree to some scenario where Mo takes four years to build us up to one year of playoffs - well, fuck that.

Ever since the press conference, where Mo announced that whoever comes in as coach will HAVE to accept the current fleet of assistant coaches, I've decided I want him gone immediately. You have to at least give the new coach the OPTION of bringing on his own team.

So once again, another season passes, and Mo admits we need a proven goal scorer up front, and a strong center-back. Just like last season.

Mo: Either fix this fucking team, or move bitch, get out the way.

My blood boiled when he said he was surprised at the criticism.

- Scott

wzhxvy
10-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Keep talking Mo, keep with the interviews...he contradicts himself every time, and shows himself for the person that he is.

ua-kozak_TFC
10-31-2009, 08:06 PM
"We are very happy to bring in a defender with Nick's experience," said Johnston. "We tried to bring him in before and finally we were able to get a deal done. He plays 90 minutes every game, he's quick, and he knows this league inside and out. On Ali Gerba, he's another one that's been on our radar, and we look forward to sitting down with him and getting a contract signed as soon as we can."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090609&content_id=5225238&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280
LMAO.... mo really is a "good" scout ....yea great drafter and has a good eye for talent...

ua-kozak_TFC
10-31-2009, 08:09 PM
The whole "we have more points since last year, so that's progress" thing is really voodoo logic, when you think about it.

Under that scenario, once we get enough points to start making the post-season, we should NEVER finish out of the playoffs ever again.

Or, we are supposed to agree to some scenario where Mo takes four years to build us up to one year of playoffs - well, fuck that.

Ever since the press conference, where Mo announced that whoever comes in as coach will HAVE to accept the current fleet of assistant coaches, I've decided I want him gone immediately. You have to at least give the new coach the OPTION of bringing on his own team.

So once again, another season passes, and Mo admits we need a proven goal scorer up front, and a strong center-back. Just like last season.

- Scott
WE allperfectly know that he can;t do and won't NEITHER.....

Ossington Mental Youth
10-31-2009, 09:54 PM
am i the only one that thinks that Gerba hasnt really had a chance to play at all? Yes hes out of shape but i truly think that he needs a bit more time on the field before we toss him out

alexintoronto
10-31-2009, 09:58 PM

- Scott

Well Said. I think this may be the first time I ever agreed with you in the TFC section. Except I think Mo used up all his chances.

Dirk Diggler
10-31-2009, 10:33 PM
I am so sick and tired of watching dirt farmers like Mo, JP Riccardi, John Ferguson Jr., Glen Grunwald etc go on to the media and act surprised all the time at the criticism that they are getting ... its as if they don't think enough of the sports fans in this city to accept any criticism from them. I stopped watching or listening to any interview by an GM earlier this year and I can say I am better for it ... don't think I have ever missed any useful nugget of information ... they are ALWAYS in spin mode and clowns like Mo and Riccardi are the by far the most annoying in that regard.

jloome
10-31-2009, 11:07 PM
And at the time, we were experiencing a few challenges with having enough healthy bodies on the backline. When Garcia arrived, most on the board seemed to think that having an experienced backline defender was just what we needed. Add to that his obvious leadership on the backline and it appeared (to me anyway) that he had a positive contribution to Attakora's development.

Not many people took note that the Quakes supporters were happy to see him move on because of the rough start he had to the season.

Add to that Gerba's introduction to the team and I still think that Mo did well with this transaction. Pretty much everyone knew what Gerba was about when we brought him in.

True, but not really germain to the point at hand, given that Mo suggested today Garcia was forced on us. As noted from the posted team story link, he was either lying to us then, or he's lying to us now.

andyc
10-31-2009, 11:13 PM
True, but not really germain to the point at hand, given that Mo suggested today Garcia was forced on us. As noted from the posted team story link, he was either lying to us then, or he's lying to us now.

I'm sure that Mo can't even tell the difference between his lies and half truths... He's constructed quite the web of deceit...

MO MUST GO!

CoachGT
11-01-2009, 10:13 AM

I suspect he probably was "forced" on us (more from a salary standpoint, though) but it was also something that we needed.

Yohan
11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Mo isn't going to say 'well, we had to take Garcia because otherwise we wouldn't get Gerba' when the trade happened.

it'd crush Garcia's morale and make him look like a moron

ua-kozak_TFC
11-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Mo isn't going to say 'well, we had to take Garcia because otherwise we wouldn't get Gerba' when the trade happened.

it'd crush Garcia's morale and make him look like a moron
ok fair enough... lets just say that the reason Mo didn;t say anything that he was shoved over Garcia by SJ and he couln;t say that he sucked and because that is not professional. ( Then if he knew that garcia isn;t that good and there must be a reason why somebody gives him away to you basicly for free... [alot of people made seem like it was the steal of the century in the first week of acuisition and how great mo is...] )why didn;t he realize that with garcia alone it will not be enough to strengthen the defence which was so weak and why didn;t he keep looking...specially after a team that unloads and tries to get rid of a player like this...
Now this is my argument alot of people say that mo knows the league inside out and knows how to control the cup space...
why did he accept a garcia with such a fat paycheck (250k)
I think an important point that is not talked enough on this board... is the rediculous paycheck that we seem to pay these players that no body else in the league values, players that don;t produce (i don;t think anybody would give us a peny to unload the fat paychecks of robinson and or even guevara... and we'd get a 4th round draft pick like in the trade for cunningham...) I know people are gonna jump on me and say guevara and robinson are one of the best players we have.. and i agree to that... but that is quite sad when your best players no body wants...doesn;t that show something about the person who picks the players?
we barely have depth and most of cap space goes to 7-9 players that are hugely overpayed... even if we have a lot of rookies we still have no depth on the bench not sure if you noticed but there are no players on the bench that can come in and change the style of the game... or change the rithm.. all we seem to have is the starters and we make changes just to save the legs... and bring a fresh pair to hold whatever is happening we have NO player that can come in and make a difference...i am not saying some messi type of player who can win a game single handedly ...just someone who can change the pace of the game he doens;t have to score or even assist...
Furthermore that we had come to retire early a veteran in the middle of the season who undisputedly brought the fans and this club the most happyness that any other player has...tomake room for a DP... we had to force a legend to retire... I am not sure if the reason we lost 5-0 is the "curse of dichio"...

Alot of people talk about how bad mo is about picking players but i think it hasn;t been discussed how badly he manages his cap and over pays players...

rocker
11-01-2009, 12:09 PM
why did he accept a garcia with such a fat paycheck (250k)

Garcia didn't make $250K. He made $196K. TFC's share of his salary was $111K.

if 2010 is the club option on his contract, then TFC can either decline the option or ask him for a renegotiation at a smaller number.

Shakes McQueen
11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Garcia better not be on this roster next season, even as depth, or we are fucked.

- Scott

jazzy
11-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Garcia better not be on this roster next season, even as depth, or we are fucked.

- Scott
Hopefully him, Barrett, can be lost in the draft to Philly

VPjr
11-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Actually, I made note of it many times when they acquired Garcia. I had spoken to people who scout MLS and those people were just howling that TFC went out and got Garcia (who had just been gifted a new long term contract for good money) when everyone in the league had been knew that he's finished. I posted many times but, not surprisingly, didn't have a lot of people feeling the same way. Too much wikipedia scouting going on by people on the boards, IMO.

As for Gerba, I mentioned many times that questions had to be asked why he has bounced around from club to club to club to club to club to club. When I asked around, the answer back from people in the know was that Ali has always had a "lack of commitment to fitness and his attitude is generally somewhat mediocre to poor".

considering how much they are stuck paying these two guys, this was a HORRIBLE transaction.

I really don't care if people on the boards thought that, on paper, this was a good move at the time. most people don't know enough about players not playing for TFC to have an educated assessment. Furthermore, they are fans...its not their job to know. That's the Director of Soccer's job.

It seems to me that Mo and TFC actually try to pander to the prevailing sentiment on the boards so that, if things blow up in their face, they can turn around and say "well, this is what the fans wanted".

The supporters want a winner. Full Stop! Go make that happen Mo

Roogsy
11-02-2009, 01:48 AM
The funny thing is that there is a lot of blame being laid upon the supporters and fans of this team for putting pressure on Mo to make moves. But that is expected! The only other option is for fans not to care enough...and that's not what anyone wants because fans that don't care, don't go to games, don't support and the team suffers.

Nobody, and I mean nobody should expect the fans to know more than an MLS director of soccer/executive. Mo's job by default is to know this league, it's players and by extension players in other parts of the world. This is what he does fulltme! The rest of us...this is our hobby, our past-time.

Flushie (bless him) keeps saying Mo gave fans what we wanted. Which may or may not be true...but what fans ultimately want more than supplying us with the players SOME fans demand...is that he build an improving, capable, contending team. Nobody is asking for the supporters shield or the MLS cup this year, next year or even in the foreseeable future. But for gawd's sake...nobody wants to see the debacle that has been TFC these past 3 seasons.

Mo is here next season we know at least (unfortunately). If we don't make the playoffs, Mo needs to go, that needs to happen or the fans will go ballistic and MLSE will be shocked at the level of anger that will be directed it's way. Leafs fans can wait for 40+ years happily on their hands and do nothing...soccer fans are a different type of fan. MLSE will hear it loud and clear.