PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, Oct. 31

denime
10-31-2009, 09:17 AM
Mornin'

TFC searching for playoff piece (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20091030&content_id=7584448&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp)

De Rosario turns on Toronto FC teammates (http://www.tribalfootball.com/de-rosario-turns-toronto-fc-teammates-413121)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/%22)

canadian_bhoy
10-31-2009, 09:23 AM
"We don't need to tinker a lot with the squad," said TFC manager Mo Johnston

Whaaaaaaa?????

boban
10-31-2009, 11:31 AM

Whaaaaaaa?????
He's right. We need a REAL striker and a coach that brings out the best out of the players week in week out playing possession football in a system the players by into.
Outside of a striker there is no real overhaul in players needed.

ArmenJBX
10-31-2009, 11:43 AM
We need three kinds of players.

A solid, hot shot, hard nosed Center back with MLS Experience (Dejan Jakovic, Michael Parkhurst, etc.)

A winger who can cross the ball into the box and has the ability to get past a man.

A striker who can score 10+ goals a season.

Also, we need a new coach (but that's a given.)

boban
10-31-2009, 11:45 AM
We need three kinds of players.

A solid, hot shot, hard nosed Center back with MLS Experience (Dejan Jakovic, Michael Parkhurst, etc.)

A winger who can cross the ball into the box and has the ability to get passed a man.

A striker who can score 10+ goals a season.

Also, we need a new coach (but that's a given.)
2 of those 3 players are nice to have. I mean you are always improving, but the most glaring hole is a striker.

Razcle
10-31-2009, 11:57 AM
^ ummm did you see our defence the whole season?

Offence is on thing but if we had an average defence this season we would be in the playoffs. Look at the game against SJ at the end of the season. Sure more goals would have been nice but we should have kept a clean sheet and that would have been enough to get us in.

C.Ronaldo
10-31-2009, 12:33 PM
if we have a go too striker,
then the rest of the team can remember to play defence

add a real CB and voila

Bobo
10-31-2009, 12:46 PM
He's right. We need a REAL striker and a coach that brings out the best out of the players week in week out playing possession football in a system the players by into.
Outside of a striker there is no real overhaul in players needed.

You're confident with our current defense then? We NEED a quality CB. And don't forget, Serioux is a free agent. I think we'll resign him though. In any case, definitely need that CB or at the VERY least a new starting fullback that can defend. Ideally I'd want to see Wynne go too and see a quality CB and RB come in.

werewolf
10-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Wynne's contract is winding down, so he probably won't be here at this time next year. Though by MLS quality, he isn't that bad, but I dont think worth what his contract demands will be. If it wasn't for that, or the salary cap rises enough, we would do well to keep him.

Roogsy
10-31-2009, 02:03 PM
^ ummm did you see our defence the whole season?

Offence is on thing but if we had an average defence this season we would be in the playoffs. Look at the game against SJ at the end of the season. Sure more goals would have been nice but we should have kept a clean sheet and that would have been enough to get us in.

I agree with this 100%.

At the end of the day, when you are on your heels you won't score. A solid defence is a good foundation upon which you can build going forward. When you have confidence in your backline, then you have confidence in going forward and you don't have as much pressure on keeping the ball out of your own zone.

I don't know...maybe it's the fact that I play defence and believe in it as the foundation of a good team, but we don't have the firepower to get into a pissing match with other teams that will punish us on the scoreboard. We need to solve that backline first and then address the front. In fact...I remember this EXACT conversation last year and here we are looking at the same thing again going into a new season. That is exactly why Mo failed and why he needs to be held accountable.

MUFC_Niagara
10-31-2009, 02:09 PM
I agree with this 100%.

At the end of the day, when you are on your heels you won't score. A solid defence is a good foundation upon which you can build going forward. When you have confidence in your backline, then you have confidence in going forward and you don't have as much pressure on keeping the ball out of your own zone.

I don't know...maybe it's the fact that I play defence and believe in it as the foundation of a good team, but we don't have the firepower to get into a pissing match with other teams that will punish us on the scoreboard. We need to solve that backline first and then address the front. In fact...I remember this EXACT conversation last year and here we are looking at the same thing again going into a new season. That is exactly why Mo failed and why he needs to be held accountable.

Agreed, it starts at the back and you grow from there. We need to solidify that backline.

kdzb
10-31-2009, 02:19 PM
2 of those 3 players are nice to have. I mean you are always improving, but the most glaring hole is a striker.

boban is right, this is how I see TFC if they get the missing pieces.

The TFC of the future: 4-3-2-1
--------------------------------------------Stefan Frei--------------------------------------
-----------Nana Attakora-----Emmanuel Gomez-------------Adrian Serioux-------Lesly Fellinga------
-------------------------------------------Julian de Guzman----------------------------------
----------------------Sam Cronin------------------------------------Amadou Sanyang---------------
-----------Pablo Vitti----------------------------------------------------Dwayne De Rosario------
------------------------------------------------??????--------------------------------------------

SUB:

Brian Edwards
Gabe Gala
Marvell Wynne
O'Brian White
Fuad Ibrahim

Mo should get a proven striker and an experienced coach with strong knowledge of MLS and I guarantee you that this
formation will grow fantastic if they all start together from preseason.
+ Add a couple of good backup defenders via trade with the useless players that we have right now in the squad until
we get that general center back that we keep talking about and then Gomez will go back to the bench.

CretanBull
10-31-2009, 02:20 PM
As far as I'm concerned, we need a whole new backline minus Nana. Jimmy B can stick around as a utlity player, but he can't be our starting LB. Nana needs a MLS-vetran CB partner, and Marvel Wynne can go.

Mo keeps saying that we need a left winger, which means (I can only assume) that he expect De Ro to play on the right side - where his talents are wasted. In reality, we need two wide players -a left and right sided player- which will give De Ro and JDG room to opperate in the middle of the pitch.

While I still think that we need a striker, I think that we could get more goals out of the guys that we have when we have a less predictable offence (straight down the middle). Because of our lack of width we were the easiest team in the league to defend against, opposing teams crowded the top of the box and favoured the middle of the pitch and it closed us out. If our strikers could get service from the wings, if our wing players spread defenses, if our CMs had room to move etc. I think we'd naturally score more goals with the talent that we have.

Our problem wasn't coaching, it was a poorly built, unbalanced team...address that issue and a lot of the other problems with solve themselves. Sadly, it seems like the most glaring problem is the one that Mo is in denial about...maybe because he only has himself to blame for it?

CretanBull
10-31-2009, 02:22 PM
--------------------------------------------Stefan Frei--------------------------------------
-----------Nana Attakora-----Emmanuel Gomez-------------Adrian Serioux-------Lesly Fellinga------
-------------------------------------------Julian de Guzman----------------------------------
----------------------Sam Cronin------------------------------------Amadou Sanyang---------------
-----------Pablo Vitti----------------------------------------------------Dwayne De Rosario------
------------------------------------------------??????--------------------------------------------

If our startin XI looks anything like that next season, I give up all hope.

S_D
10-31-2009, 03:21 PM

Whaaaaaaa?????

And Mo is the same guy who says the salary cap can't afford you more than 20-21 decent players? Maybe he should go look at the other playoff teams and see how many they have. He could learn a thing or two from them.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-31-2009, 04:19 PM
DeRo is one to complain about about not showing up and playing with heart when he did the same for at least half the season..maybe the new manager will ship him out in a blockbuster deal before the spring camp!!

Dunkers
10-31-2009, 04:25 PM
DeRo is one to complain about about not showing up and playing with heart when he did the same for at least half the season..maybe the new manager will ship him out in a blockbuster deal before the spring camp!!

Seriuoly enough already....Dero scored twice as many goals as anyone else on the team, also led the team in assits, single handly carried the team on his back on more then one occassion (vs DC stands out).

Cares enough about the team to speak out and prompt change (grass)

BEST PLAYER ON OUR TEAM NO QUESTION (maybe not the best in the world)

seriouly mighty, who was the best player on TFC this year?

jazzy
10-31-2009, 04:26 PM
boban is right, this is how I see TFC if they get the missing pieces.

SUB:

Brian Edwards
Gabe Gala
Marvell Wynne
O'Brian White
Fuad Ibrahim

Mo should get a proven striker and an experienced coach with strong knowledge of MLS and I guarantee you that this
formation will grow fantastic if they all start together from preseason.
+ Add a couple of good backup defenders via trade with the useless players that we have right now in the squad until
we get that general center back that we keep talking about and then Gomez will go back to the bench.

Me thinks VItti is gone, not a scorer, and what is the deal with Ibrahim...we needed to play our rookies to determine they're futue

rocker
10-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Our problem wasn't coaching, it was a poorly built, unbalanced team...address that issue and a lot of the other problems with solve themselves. Sadly, it seems like the most glaring problem is the one that Mo is in denial about...maybe because he only has himself to blame for it?

i think coaching was a problem.

what's the share of blame on coaching versus player acquisition?
I dunno. but I cannot outright dismiss coaching, when I see other MLS coaches take nobodies and castoffs (look at Bruce Arena and guys like Tony Sanneh) and craft a serviceable defense. Maybe it means instilling a defensive attitude in the whole team, particularly on the road. RSL is accused of this.. but it wins games.

There's no sense forcing a system on a team that doesn't have the parts. So a good coach comes up with something different.

Sigi Schmidt was fired from LA years ago for playing a boring style (that won games). Now in Seattle he plays an enjoyable style. Different sets of players, different approaches by a coach who knows what he is doing. if Cummins had instituted a better overall system, he wouldn't have to yell "push up" at the end of games.

CretanBull
10-31-2009, 05:29 PM

Maybe we can trade you to U-Sector for whoever their village idiot is?

CretanBull
10-31-2009, 05:32 PM
i think coaching was a problem.

Better coaching would have helped, but of all the things wrong with the team that's low on the priority list. I have no special love for Cummins, but I think that it's unfair to judge him based on what he had to work with. If he was given a balanced squad and he screwed it up then I'd be happy to point the finger at him. The way things are, its impossible to not see him as a scapegoat for Mo's failures - not his own.

dupont
10-31-2009, 06:25 PM

I finally figured out who you are! Chad Barrett! I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner! You can only fool us for so long, Chad!

billyfly
10-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Mighty start a poll on who on this board thinks any of your posts are sane.

Come on, do it! I dare you.

ArmenJBX
10-31-2009, 08:35 PM

There are two different ways one can express their opinion. One if respectfully stating your opinion and giving reasons and evidence as to why you think the way you do. The other is giving smart ass remarks with no relevance to the topic at hand. We are discussing the starting lineup and the players we need, you bring up that you hate DeRo. Countless times we've read your opinion on De Rosario, and countless times they've been in the form of sarcastic insults.

If you don't like De Rosario, tell us why you don't, and stop slipping it in almost every single post you write. We all understand your position, but the way you're going about things....it's kind of overkill. We get it.

Northern Soul
10-31-2009, 09:40 PM
There are two different ways one can express their opinion. One if respectfully stating your opinion and giving reasons and evidence as to why you think the way you do. The other is giving smart ass remarks with no relevance to the topic at hand. We are discussing the starting lineup and the players we need, you bring up that you hate DeRo. Countless times we've read your opinion on De Rosario, and countless times they've been in the form of sarcastic insults.

If you don't like De Rosario, tell us why you don't, and stop slipping it in almost every single post you write. We all understand your position, but the way you're going about things....it's kind of overkill. We get it.

x2

And despite the fact that you don't like DeRo, he's still the best player on our team.

loconet
10-31-2009, 10:18 PM

:picard:

DichioTFC
10-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Wynne's contract is winding down, so he probably won't be here at this time next year. Though by MLS quality, he isn't that bad, but I dont think worth what his contract demands will be. If it wasn't for that, or the salary cap rises enough, we would do well to keep him.

How about trading Wynne for that rookie CB in LA, Omar Gonzales? We could use Nana on the right, Omar as the anchor.

Regardless, CB is probably greatest concern. We'll get scoring from somewhere, but we need a solid defence as a basis

jloome
10-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Either Jeff Larentowitcz or Geoff Cameron would be the real prize at centre back. Both are among the best in the league, both are about to go out of contract and both are making less than $50,000 per season, due for biiiiig raises (or going to Europoe.)

I'd love to get Cameron, maybe in a package deal for Wynne and one of the older guys, either Robinson or Serioux.

Redcoe15
11-01-2009, 02:27 PM
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/s/seriously_stfu-12264.gif