PDA

View Full Version : The Fan590 Soccer Show - October 29/09 - interview with Mo

VPjr
10-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Last night, Nigel and Bob conducted a pretty indepth interview with Mo.

Good questions...hard hitting.

http://www.fan590.com/onair/soccer/

(click on the October 29 episode)

Oldtimer
10-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Very good interview, they didn't pull any punches, though they started off nicely with commending Mo on his Scottish hall of fame award.

For a lot of the questions, it looked as though they were reading this board to ask what supporters are asking.

Example: Nigel "Mo, did you tender your resignation to Maple Leaf Sports and entertainment?"

Other questions:

(1) Who decides what players to bring in? (Mo, but he listens to the coach and discusses possibilities)

(2) Is Jim B coming back? (yes)

(3) Do we have to release anyone for cap space? (no, given the expected rise in the cap plus our allocation)

(4) Would anyone apply for the coaching job? (a lot have, 4-5 are serious contenders)

Some cynicism expressed by Bobby as in "we always seem to be looking for the same players."

MO infuriates me when he blames the fans putting too much pressure on players for why Buddle and Cunningham didn't perform.

Roogsy
10-30-2009, 01:44 PM
MO infuriates me when he blames the fans putting too much pressure on players for why Buddle and Cunningham didn't perform.

Oh man, I don't think I can listen to this interview then.

These are PROFESSIONAL soccer players for gawd's sakes. If you can't play in front of a vocal crowd...go play in the CSL in front of 50 people. Holy crap.

These are athletes that want to play in Europe? Really?

And to be an apologist for them instead of demanding that the players you sign actually perform? Holy crap...I am going to get worked up.

Beach_Red
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I can't listen to this, but was there anything that might be considered encouraging at all? I'm desperate for a little good news...

Stouffville_RPB
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
[quote=Oldtimer;774476]
[quote]

Was a fantastic interview.

Another point, Bob asked
Mo would ask Jimmy to hang them up like he did with Danny

Mo's response
Danny wanted to retire and get into coaching. Danny is very happy with were he is.

I call bullshit on that one Mo.

ilikemusic
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Are you fucking serious?!?!

It was Mo's fucking coach who called him out to the media!

Fuck Mo. I cant stand this prick.

Oldtimer
10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Later on, they discuss TFC with an analyst from Fox Soccer, who says that signing Mo to an extension "may not have been the best idea," and that the league needs to step in and help TFC out of their mess and to sign a decent coach.

The days of Mo getting a free pass are over.

ilikemusic
10-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Mo must have compromising photos of Tom Anelmi or something. He is an absolute disgrace.

canadian_bhoy
10-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Ugh. I can't stand comments like "we missed the playoffs by 1 point". This season wasn't successful, stop acting like it was bad luck! We were poor most of the season and the club should be saying " things didn't go right and we're going to fix what's wrong", not "ohh...so close".

And what's with the "we'll have good coaches kicking our door down". Just take that truck that you drove up to JDG's house, fill it with money (again) and drive it to Steve Nicol's house.

Roogsy
10-30-2009, 02:31 PM
^ I mentioned that point in the fallout from the NY game.

I always knew the organization was going to look at this season and say "well...we were ALMOST there...just a bad break kept us out".

Bull.

This organization has massive problems and to a degree, I am thankful we didn't get into the playoffs because there is a better chance of addressing these problems now than had we backdoored our way in and Mo could have confidently and shockingly called this season a "success".

Beach_Red
10-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Later on, they discuss TFC with an analyst from Fox Soccer, who says that signing Mo to an extension "may not have been the best idea," and that the league needs to step in and help TFC out of their mess and to sign a decent coach.

The days of Mo getting a free pass are over.

People keep saying how important it is for MLS to be successful in New York, are they going to step in there, too?

rocker
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
whoa? the league needs to step in? Why would the Fox Soccer guy say that?

Many people argue that MLS should have less of a hand in the way the teams operate... so MLS having a hand in our coaching decision would be even worse! Leave Don Garber to counting the TV revenue money.

Roogsy
10-30-2009, 02:43 PM
^I'd have to agree. I can't see how them stepping in would make it any better.

In the end, it really is a simple solution to our problems, it just isn't easily implemented.

The solution? Smarter decisions need to come from MLSE. That means, smarter decisions when it comes to raising ticket prices. Smarter decisions regarding scheduling friendlies.

And most of all, smarter decisions with regards to management of TFC (ie. Maurice Johnston).

Oldtimer
10-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm not saying that the league should step in. It's the Fox guy who said that.

I just think it interesting that everyone except MLSE can see that the team is a mess.

Anselmi seems to think "tough luck we missed the playoffs, Mo has things on track though."

Miko
10-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Why would MLS step in? They don't care if TFC makes the playoffs (some may say they prefer it if Toronto doesn't due to TV revenue).

As long as the stands are full and they keep getting their cut of the gate and merchandise, they could care less who coaches the team.

Beach_Red
10-30-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm not saying that the league should step in. It's the Fox guy who said that.

I just think it interesting that everyone except MLSE can see that the team is a mess.

It's always hard to tell when criticism of TFC has another agenda - be it personal about Mo or anti-Canadian we've heard it all before. Is TFC really the biggest mess in this mess of a league?

I know, I know. It's just annoying when the league has teams playing in baseball stadiums and on fields with NFL lines and they're making it sound like the team with the worst problems is TFC. We're all pissed about the way the season went, but really...

Now, if they want to change the domestic requirement and maybe raise the salary cap for TFC, hey, that would be great.

Unfortunately Roogsy is right (we're allshocked today, apparently ;)) MLSE have to change their ways. I think it has to be much higher up than Director of Soccer, but then the company is very profitable so they do thin they're doing everything right.

Roogsy
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM

I've never been an MLSE hater...but seeing their "disinterest" at making TFC anything other than a money-making venture ahead of a successful athletic team has opened my eyes to how they have been running the Leafs as well.

This isn't about begrudging MLSE making money. But finally getting a glimpse at how they run things, it is apparent that their method of operation is to make money and hope that the team succeeds. (That way of course, nobody can accuse them of not wanting the team to win, but in reality it isn't a primary focus of the organization either.)

What is the other option? Realizing that by being a competent contending team, the money issues solves itself. In other words, the effort isn't put into squeezing as much money as is possible from the fans now, but rather putting together a product that will last, that creates a legacy, that creates respect and then the money starts growing as an effect of that strategy.

However, since they have never shown to be able to put together a product like that, with any of it's properties, I suppose then it's safer for everyone's jobs to go with the first, more secure route than it would be the second.

The effect is what we see before us. 3 major league franchises that are rolling in money but empty on trophies, or even a sniff of any sort of championship success. I mean, seriously, stepping back and looking at MLSE, you'd think they'd have at least ONE franchise that is competent, competitive and successful in terms of it's record. They don't have one that even comes close let alone actually winning anything of note and the future is not looking too bright.

mastermixer
10-30-2009, 02:59 PM
I've never been an MLSE hater...but seeing their "disinterest" at making TFC anything other than a money-making venture ahead of a successful athletic team has opened my eyes to how they have been running the Leafs as well.

This isn't about begrudging MLSE making money. But finally getting a glimpse at how they run things, it is apparent that their method of operation is to make money and hope that the team succeeds. (That way of course, nobody can accuse them of not wanting the team to win, but in reality it isn't a primary focus of the organization either.)

What is the other option? Realizing that by being a competent contending team, the money issues solves itself. In other words, the effort isn't put into squeezing as much money as is possible from the fans now, but rather putting together a product that will last, that creates a legacy, that creates respect and then the money starts growing as an effect of that strategy.

However, since they have never shown to be able to put together a product like that, with any of it's properties, I suppose then it's safer for everyone's jobs to go with the first, more secure route than it would be the second.

The effect is what we see before us. 3 major league franchises that are rolling in money but empty on trophies, or even a sniff of any sort of championship success. I mean, seriously, stepping back and looking at MLSE, you'd think they'd have at least ONE franchise that is competent, competitive and successful in terms of it's record. They don't have one that even comes close let alone actually winning anything of note and the future is not looking too bright.

I don't think the issue is how MLSE makes money. After signing JDG they obviously are doing the spending that TFC needs. I think this is entirely on Mo's head and picking the right players to spend the money on.

Beach_Red
10-30-2009, 03:00 PM
^ I was never an MLSE hater, either, but I've come around. On of the big problems, I think, is that in any corporate structure the only way to have job security and promotion is by making money - that's really all any company is about. So there's always an out, there's always that to fall back on.

Teams with individual, public owners have at least that one person involved who doesn't have to please someone above him to keep his job. Seattle can vote out GMs all they want, they can't vote out their owners - but they know who they are.

We have a team owned by a company with a board of directors. That has an effect on the kind of person they hire. Those individuals can change regularly but the company mentality will wil be the same - we've all experienced that at companies we've worked for.

Rudi
10-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh man, I don't think I can listen to this interview then.

These are PROFESSIONAL soccer players for gawd's sakes. If you can't play in front of a vocal crowd...go play in the CSL in front of 50 people. Holy crap.

These are athletes that want to play in Europe? Really?

And to be an apologist for them instead of demanding that the players you sign actually perform? Holy crap...I am going to get worked up.
A counterpoint to Oldtimer's interpretation, posted on the U-Sector board (Oltimer posted the same thoughts on both boards):

You have to be very careful how you choose to spin statements by paraphrasing. Mo expressed the opinion that players who come to play here need to know how to perform in front of a passionate and very critical (which is absolutely a fact) media and public. He did NOT blame the fans for the performances of Cunningham and Buddle as you so point out, he alluded to the fact that they couldn't handle it. There's a big difference.

That was from someone on my board who listened to the interview. I didn't listen, so I can't comment myself. Either way, I think you should listen to it yourself before coming to any conclusions.

wzhxvy
10-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I agree its about making money Roogsy, what I dont agree with is why its failing. The reason its failing is because MLSE look at their business as a business portfolio, they dont get extra credit for blowing/exceeding their financial targets one year, they get credit for showing year on year revenue & profit growth. If they want to accelerate their year on year growth rate, they re-invest, and show a higher rate of growth as a result of the investment.

That is what I think the problem is..no one gets rewarded for "winning", because if they win, they just set themselves up for a higher target the following year. This is typical corporate crap...where you have "lifers" work in a corporate environment to show YOY growth, not make as money as they can.

If the teams were owned privately...the owner would not care...if he wins, he makes more money, pockets it or re-invests, but unlike a public entity, he is not held by this annual growth standard. If he makes 5M instead of 6M the next year...who cares..he made money.

If MLSE makes less money one year from the next...people lose their jobs. So thats my argument, MLSE is structured in way that is actually designed for a middle of the pack type team.

Beach_Red
10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I agree its about making money Roogsy, what I dont agree with is why its failing. The reason its failing is because MLSE look at their business as a business portfolio, they dont get extra credit for blowing/exceeding their financial targets one year, they get credit for showing year on year revenue & profit growth. If they want to accelerate their year on year growth rate, they re-invest, and show a higher rate of growth as a result of the investment.

That is what I think the problem is..no one gets rewarded for "winning", because if they win, they just set themselves up for a higher target the following year. This is typical corporate crap...where you have "lifers" work in a corporate environment to show YOY growth, not make as money as they can.

If the teams were owned privately...the owner would not care...if he wins, he makes more money, pockets it or re-invests, but unlike a public entity, he is not held by this annual growth standard. If he makes 5M instead of 6M the next year...who cares..he made money.

If MLSE makes less money one year from the next...people lose their jobs. So thats my argument, MLSE is structured in way that is actually designed for a middle of the pack type team.

Thank you. I've been trying to say that for days, but you've said it perfectly.

Roogsy
10-30-2009, 03:13 PM
That was from someone on my board who listened to the interview. I didn't listen, so I can't comment myself. Either way, I think you should listen to it yourself before coming to any conclusions.

That is a good point. I am definitely listening to it when I get home from work. Then I will repost my rant. LOL!

Roogsy
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM

I can certainly see the value in this post. I don't disagree. In fact, I would suggest that it is a combination of what you state here and what I believe to be the case where the truth actually lies.

Either way...the structure does not promote success beyond the financial one. It almost relies on luck to create a winning team, and of course anyone who plays poker knows how often luck strikes.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I thought it was interesting how Mo spun fan support at different instances in the interview. In one example, Mo mentioned how Edson Buddle and Jeff Cunningham struggled to play in Toronto because of the critical fanbase. Later in the interview, however, Mo stated that a lot of candidates would be interested in the TFC coaching job, and he listed the passionate fanbase as a reason for this. Mo is certainly adept at twisting facts in order to prove a point, whether in a positive or negative way. I don't know how many of Mo's comments I can take at face value.

Roogsy
10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
^ Good point. You should be a journalist. Lots of them are missing this sort of thing and they shouldn't be.

wzhxvy
10-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I thought it was interesting how Mo spun fan support at different instances in the interview. In one example, Mo mentioned how Edson Buddle and Jeff Cunningham struggled to play in Toronto because of the critical fanbase. Later in the interview, however, Mo stated that a lot of candidates would be interested in the TFC coaching job, and he listed the passionate fanbase as a reason for this. Mo is certainly adept at twisting facts in order to prove a point, whether in a positive or negative way. I don't know how many of Mo's comments I can take at face value.

Answer is zero. I think his natural tendency is to be untruthful.

ua-kozak_TFC
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Very good interview, they didn't pull any punches, though they started off nicely with commending Mo on his Scottish hall of fame award.

For a lot of the questions, it looked as though they were reading this board to ask what supporters are asking.

Example: Nigel "Mo, did you tender your resignation to Maple Leaf Sports and entertainment?"

Other questions:

(1) Who decides what players to bring in? (Mo, but he listens to the coach and discusses possibilities)

(3) Do we have to release anyone for cap space? (no, given the expected rise in the cap plus our allocation)

(4) Would anyone apply for the coaching job? (a lot have, 4-5 are serious contenders)

Some cynicism expressed by Bobby as in "we always seem to be looking for the same players."

Man why does it feel so familiar..." the we are looking at 2-3 defenders, 4-5 trailists etc.
Meaning He;s got NO ONE... like the other times. No one important atleast... how does one 4 -5 SERIOUS contenders... like one of them is not so serious. Plus it;s been less than a week WHY does the fact of "serious" is over empahsized... I know its a technicallity but it just an other proove of the sneakiness of this MO character. ANd the lying with astraight face... there is no way he found 5 "serious" contenders for a coaching position when it took him whole 5 month to look for a pair of defenders last year and still didn;t find any...

Beach_Red
10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Man why does it feel so familiar..." the we are looking at 2-3 defenders, 4-5 trailists etc.
Meaning He;s got NO ONE... like the other times. No one important atleast... how does one 4 -5 SERIOUS contenders... like one of them is not so serious. Plus it;s been less than a week WHY does the fact of "serious" is over empahsized... I know its a technicallity but it just an other proove of the sneakiness of this MO character. ANd the lying with astraight face... there is no way he found 5 "serious" contenders for a coaching position when it took him whole 5 month to look for a pair of defenders last year and still didn;t find any...

What he means is that lots of agents called with lots of clients who want the job. 4-5 might do it for the money being offered....

ua-kozak_TFC
10-30-2009, 04:42 PM
[quote=Oldtimer;774476]
[quote]

Was a fantastic interview.

Another point, Bob asked
Mo would ask Jimmy to hang them up like he did with Danny

Mo's response
Danny wanted to retire and get into coaching. Danny is very happy with were he is.

I call bullshit on that one Mo.
KUDDOS to the guys who asked the question... that is called journalism..

Toronto Ruffrider
10-30-2009, 05:04 PM
[quote=Stouffville_RPB;774542][quote=Oldtimer;774476]

KUDDOS to the guys who asked the question... that is called journalism..

THAT question was a thing of beauty. I know Bob Iarusci rubs some people the wrong way, but I think it's great that he doesn't shy away from such hard-hitting questions.

wzhxvy
10-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Just listened to this, my summary:

- Mo has a mother and father...wife and children...I didnt know that, good stuff
- We failed, need to go back to drawing board according to MO
- said his contract takes him for a couple more years...I thought he said it wasnt signed ? So is it or isnt Mo?
- Not an easy stadium or city to play in, he says
- He says 1 point away from playoffs, 3 wins away from being top of the league.....FFS this guy needs to be fired now
- He says we have allocation money, not worried about cap, expects it to go up
-Takes a shot at CC, says he should have resolved disruption...bit of anger in his tone...ha ha...CC obviously got a few kicks on the way out

wzhxvy
10-30-2009, 05:46 PM
The guy after...wow...players in Toronto are "fed up"..."no cohesive locker room from Day 1, or will to win"...."Mo resigning is not the best move for the club"..."fed up with way things are going in the locker room"....

trane
10-30-2009, 06:04 PM
One thing that I am not sure what to think about. Mo says we are three wins aways from the top of the league. What does that say about the league?

wzhxvy
10-30-2009, 06:18 PM
First he says he doesnt have a 2.5 year contract extension...then he says he will quit/resign next year if we dont make the playoffs...and now he says he wants to fullfil the remaining two years of his contract, a contract he never supposedly had.

For those of you who didnt hear this...just listen to it to listen to his response to the CC comments...listen to his tone, their is real venom there. TOTAL GUESS: Before CC left, he had a few off the record discussions with media guys, hence some of the unsaid stuff going on...I think CC pointed the way and MO found out he left him a present before leaving.

trane
10-30-2009, 06:19 PM
The second interview is also very interesting. He things that MLS needs to worry, about TFC. They recognize the importance of the North American footy market.

wzhxvy
10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes the second guy makes it sounds like MLSE have been duped by MO and need help from the league LOL...save them from themselves...he made it very obvious that MLSE has no idea and is being fooled by this "expert"...interesting perspective from an outsider.

DichioTFC
10-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Mo lost a lot of credibility with this interview IMO. This is what happens when real journalists ask the right questions.

It seems like Mo "Never Say Quit" Johnston is the wrong choice for the job...*sigh* its going to be a long winter...

ilikemusic
10-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Just listened to the full thing.

Mo is slimeball and Nigel reed is the mother-effing boss.

What a douchebag Mo is. Throwing Cummins, his woefully under prepared and inexperienced (through absolutely no fault of his own) head coach under the bus like that when talking about locker room problems is friggin pitiful.

I never particularly liked Mo and I am glad that the fans and the media have started to come around on this. I think its exactly like the Fox Soccer analyst said. MLSE need someone to step in and tell them "this guy is taking the piss". I think MLSE might even be afraid to cut him loose simply because they want to save face so badly. They dont want admit that they have been had so they keep him on board.

MLSE is either dumb and cant see that Mo is fucking everything up, or they know perfectly well what Mo is doing, but since it isnt effecting their bottom line they could hardly care less. I suspect its more of the latter.

Waggy
10-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Woah, can't believe they actually asked my questions! But my fucking ass they didn't ask Danny to retire. Fucking Mo. Thanks to Nigel though for actually asking him! Didn't think he would

SoccMan
10-31-2009, 11:06 AM
I would like to comment on what the person from Fox had to say regarding MLS being concerned with the on field product that TFC is producing. I think why he thinks MLS should maybe give MLSE a call and give them a bit of advice on picking a coach and maybe even asking questions about what Mo has been doing is the fact that MLS wants to preserve the off field success of TFC. They realize that there are not many teams in this league with attendance like TFC's. The MLS knows too well how bad performances on the field has caused a few teams in the league to suffer at the gate. There was a time when teams like Dallas and Columbus were drawing decent crowds,however, too many seasons of bad performances has cost these teams at the gate, and as you can see, in the MLS once you have lost the fans it is hard getting them back, and Columbus is a prime example of this,even winning an MLS title has not brought attendance back to the levels they use to be years past in Columbas. MLS has a great market here in Toronto with great attendance they don't want the attendance to go down because of poor on field performances,because they realize once the fans are gone they are difficult to get back in this league no matter how many MLS Cups you might eventualy win after the fans are gone.

Roogsy
10-31-2009, 11:10 AM
^ Great post. Dead on.

Sullivan
10-31-2009, 11:29 AM
More Mo.
This time on with Chick Young, a BBC commentator with a program about football in Scotland. I think this was last Thursday as well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00nx0s1

Mo is the 1st guest. He yaps about his role as Director of Football. Talks about the $2.3 salary cap for just 20 players and the markets that he's limited to. Speaks highly of Carver and how well they got on - zip about CC.

Mo's doing the circuit.

wzhxvy
10-31-2009, 12:07 PM
It is now beyond speculation or a few who have a hate on for Mo. Just listen to the press conference, interviews, player interviews and you can't help but be very freaking disgusted by this whole thing. MLSE WAKE UP !

Cashcleaner
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
In all honesty. that had to have been one of the best shows Nigel and Bob have put on. I'm starting to think most soccer journos in the city have pretty much made up their minds as to what they think of Mo and his tenure with the club. The questions were definitely asked in a way to also make a statement.