PDA

View Full Version : MLS Draft - Teal Bunbury?

Nuvinho
10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
This thread is more to do with one interesting player that could make the jump to MLS or overseas. Alex Bunbury's kid.......Teal Bunbury.

We don't have any picks the first round, but another Canadian kid that we could use? Yes? No?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/10/midweek-college-soccer-wrap-akron-wins-16th-straight-unc-crushes-stetson-70.html

Bio:

http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=1540397

Pachuco
10-30-2009, 10:56 AM
OH man I used to love watching Alex Bunbury play for the Blizzards. Had no idea he had a kid.

alexintoronto
10-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Andrew Bulls to New York?

Nuvinho
10-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Do we have any players who can net TFC a 1st rounder? Is this year's draft strong or weak? I guess its too early to figure out. That's what happens when you miss the playoffs.....you already focused on the expansion draft, mls superdraft, etc........haha!!

Maple Leaf Red
10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Dear God not someone related to that guy. Worst finisher I have ever seen. Well...after Lombardo.

Whoop
10-30-2009, 04:28 PM
^^

Really?

I guess you never saw him play in Portugal. At one point when he was playing for Maritimo, Juventus was looking at signing him.

He played with them for 6 years and he's still the club's all-time leading scorer.

werewolf
10-30-2009, 05:26 PM
He is leading scorer on the top team in the nation, and we have no 1st round draft picks, and we drafted White last year. Alex was one of my favourites, and I wouldn't complain getting such a quality player, I just dont think its feasible.

TFCtoMUFC
10-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I say we trade stuff for a first rounder. Wynne, or maybe trade Garcia, Barrett and a Mo Johnston press conference tape on how to blame your fans for bad results.

ArmenJBX
10-30-2009, 09:06 PM
I say we trade stuff for a first rounder. Wynne, or maybe trade Garcia, Barrett and a Mo Johnston press conference tape on how to blame your fans for bad results.

No freaking way! What video is that!!!

I haven't seen that one, but if that's true....oh boy...

ilikemusic
10-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Teal Bunbury?

Is that some kind of new colour? like a greenish brown?

GuelphStorm2007
10-30-2009, 11:05 PM
TFC tends to have decent luck with Canadian Born players , with the exception of Guys like Lombardo, Reda, so why not take a shot at at Bunbary if he is available..

Dirk Diggler
10-30-2009, 11:31 PM
TFC tends to have decent luck with Canadian Born players , with the exception of Guys like Lombardo, Reda, so why not take a shot at at Bunbary if he is available..

And Gerba, Harmse etc ... I don't think our luck with Canadian players is above average ... there have been just as many Canadian failures on our team as international ones.

DigzTFC!
10-31-2009, 11:39 AM
There are two Canadians ripping up the NCAA.

Teal Bunbury and Michael Nonni. If Teal signs a Gen Adidas contract at the end of the season, Mo will find a way to get him. In my opinion we have assets that we can trade. Marvell Wynne comes to mind.

While I'll get some flack for that comment, I truly believe Marvell isn't good enough at the right back or wing position. He's an in between player. With 4 years in the league he has not progressed in his positioning or crossing. I think it best to trade him while he can still rely on his athleticism.

ArmenJBX
10-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Anyone know if Hunter Freeman may be on his way back to MLS? Maybe get a shot at him?

Bobo
10-31-2009, 12:34 PM
There are two Canadians ripping up the NCAA.

Teal Bunbury and Michael Nonni. If Teal signs a Gen Adidas contract at the end of the season, Mo will find a way to get him. In my opinion we have assets that we can trade. Marvell Wynne comes to mind.

While I'll get some flack for that comment, I truly believe Marvell isn't good enough at the right back or wing position. He's an in between player. With 4 years in the league he has not progressed in his positioning or crossing. I think it best to trade him while he can still rely on his athleticism.

Completely agree. Get Wynne out now while we can still dupe another team. His stock isn't going to get any higher.

TFCtoMUFC
10-31-2009, 12:39 PM
No freaking way! What video is that!!!

I haven't seen that one, but if that's true....oh boy...

That was a shot at the FAN 590 interview with Mo. He essentially said we ragged on Cunningham and Buddle so they didnt play well.

James Oliphant
10-31-2009, 12:56 PM
wiksTZ7wXUM

jloome
10-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Anyone know if Hunter Freeman may be on his way back to MLS? Maybe get a shot at him?

No, he's starting in Europe, and being paid well more. Unlikely.

Sullivan
11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Teal Bunbury has a very large & obvious trail of MLS scouts watching him. Every MLS club has him on the short list. And yes, MLS has targeted him for a Gen A deal. He's also a Hermann candidate.

Bunbury is also collecting numerous POTW awards, i.e. TopDrawer, CSN. He's sitting with 14 goals in 16 games. The Zip's are 16-0-0 and have been ranked nationally at #1 for a few weeks.

I'm travelling with a couple of friends to Akron on Wednesday. We'll finally get a chance to watch Bunbury and the Zips, hosting Michigan State. I watched the dvd of the Zips vs Penn State over the weekend and he just shreaded Penn State D, scoring twice.

Lennon
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Yuck what a terrible name ... do not want

werewolf
11-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm travelling with a couple of friends to Akron on Wednesday. We'll finally get a chance to watch Bunbury and the Zips, hosting Michigan State. I watched the dvd of the Zips vs Penn State over the weekend and he just shreaded Penn State D, scoring twice.

We expect a full report!

Plus notes on Yoram Mwila :D

Keegan
11-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Teal Bunbury has a very large & obvious trail of MLS scouts watching him. Every MLS club has him on the short list. And yes, MLS has targeted him for a Gen A deal. He's also a Hermann candidate.

Bunbury is also collecting numerous POTW awards, i.e. TopDrawer, CSN. He's sitting with 14 goals in 16 games. The Zip's are 16-0-0 and have been ranked nationally at #1 for a few weeks.

I guess you weren't dissapointed. Teal had another goal in a 2-1 win...

15 goals in 17 games now. At 19 years old...
please TFC

Ossington Mental Youth
11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
never going to happen, hes definitely going to go to europe or sign else where, especially when all we've got this year is a second rounder (if im not mistaken)

Rudi
11-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Yuck what a terrible name ... do not want
That's some awesome reasoning, there.

I suppose you'd turn down Kaka based on your stellar criteria, right?

Keegan
11-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Sucks that he didn't get more minutes for Canada u20s. He was stuck behind Edwini-Bonsu, Haber and Porter he only played 6 minutes in qualifiers.

I'll bet he gets a lot more time for the U23s if he isn't in europe

werewolf
11-05-2009, 12:03 PM
If he is making such an impact this season, the US might take notice, and he was born there.

Auzzy
11-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Are you guys sure we don't have a 1st round draft pick? Check this article from when Ibrahim was traded from Dallas: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=546607&cc=5901

"FC Dallas will acquire Toronto's first-round selection in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft if Ibrahim plays in 10 or more 2009 MLS regular season games..."

"If none of the conditions are met, Dallas will receive Toronto's second-round selection in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft..."

Since Ibbe only played 6 games this season, we should still have that 1st-round pick, but we lose a 2nd-round pick.... I think...?

bimmer
11-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Are you guys sure we don't have a 1st round draft pick? Check this article from when Ibrahim was traded from Dallas: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=546607&cc=5901

"FC Dallas will acquire Toronto's first-round selection in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft if Ibrahim plays in 10 or more 2009 MLS regular season games..."

"If none of the conditions are met, Dallas will receive Toronto's second-round selection in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft..."

Since Ibbe only played 6 games this season, we should still have that 1st-round pick, but we lose a 2nd-round pick.... I think...?

Yeah I thought that was the reason why we hardly played Ibbe this year. Unless our first pick was involved in a separate transaction (which is unlikely because you can't trade something that may not be yours at season's end)

Maple Leaf Red
11-05-2009, 04:24 PM
^^

Really?

I guess you never saw him play in Portugal. At one point when he was playing for Maritimo, Juventus was looking at signing him.

He played with them for 6 years and he's still the club's all-time leading scorer.

Oh, he was amazing on a bad team in a second-rate league?

You saw him play for Canada right? Maybe he just couldn't be bothered to perform for the Maple Leaf but lots of draws and losses could have been improved if he could have hit the broadside of a barn with a banjo.

His son sounds awesome though!

jloome
11-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh, he was amazing on a bad team in a second-rate league?

You saw him play for Canada right? Maybe he just couldn't be bothered to perform for the Maple Leaf but lots of draws and losses could have been improved if he could have hit the broadside of a barn with a banjo.

His son sounds awesome though!

I believe he led Maritimo to the top of the league one year (can't remember if they won or not) and was one of the best strikers in the Portugese league for years. Dude, you're just horribly wrong on this one. Go back and check his stats.

The last time I checked (whether due to top team imbalance or not) the Portugese league was still considered better than MLS, and he was a dominant scorer in it for three or four years. He had one shitty MLS season, but it was at Kansas City, and at the very end of his career.

And he's the Canadian team's third leading all-time scorer.

So, if stats say anything, they don't support you this time.

Lennon
11-06-2009, 01:02 PM
That's some awesome reasoning, there.

I suppose you'd turn down Kaka based on your stellar criteria, right?

I was only half serious ... we probly won't be chanting his first name anyway

VPjr
11-07-2009, 11:32 AM
has anyone watched this guy play?

My information is that he's very much a Tossaint Ricketts type of player (very quick, very athletic, needs a lot of work on the technical and tactical side of the game).

there is a reason he was stuck behind guys like Porter, Haber and Edwini-Bonsu with the U20s....he's not as good at this time.

Let's not over react to a player's goal scoring prowess at the NCAA level. its not exactly an incubator for great technical players.

I have no doubt he'll get drafted and my guess is he will develop eventually into a pretty serviceable player but college stats should not be overestimated. Anyone remember Daniel Revivo. Another Canadian playing D1 at a decent school. Was a top scorer two years in a row in NCAA. Never really got a sniff

Remember Joseph Lapira....he was a goal scoring machine at Notre Dame. Now he's toiling for some 2nd rate club in the Norwegian 2nd division.

There are SO many guys like that...too many to name

Of course, there are studs like Zakuani, Marcus Tracy, Charlie Davies and (maybe one day) O'Brian White who have done it in the NCAA and are doing it at the pro level.

Let's not get overly excited about a guy I suspect very few have ever seen play. I've only seen him play once on TV (webstream actually) and other than outstanding footspeed, i couldn't see the big deal about the guy. However, as a long time fan of this dad, here's hoping he develops into something big.

rocker
11-07-2009, 11:42 AM
yup.. and Zakuani didn't score much in his first season despite the hype... 4 goals in 29 games for the #1 pick.

jloome
11-07-2009, 01:53 PM
has anyone watched this guy play?

My information is that he's very much a Tossaint Ricketts type of player (very quick, very athletic, needs a lot of work on the technical and tactical side of the game).

there is a reason he was stuck behind guys like Porter, Haber and Edwini-Bonsu with the U20s....he's not as good at this time.

Let's not over react to a player's goal scoring prowess at the NCAA level. its not exactly an incubator for great technical players.

I have no doubt he'll get drafted and my guess is he will develop eventually into a pretty serviceable player but college stats should not be overestimated. Anyone remember Daniel Revivo. Another Canadian playing D1 at a decent school. Was a top scorer two years in a row in NCAA. Never really got a sniff

Remember Joseph Lapira....he was a goal scoring machine at Notre Dame. Now he's toiling for some 2nd rate club in the Norwegian 2nd division.

There are SO many guys like that...too many to name

Of course, there are studs like Zakuani, Marcus Tracy, Charlie Davies and (maybe one day) O'Brian White who have done it in the NCAA and are doing it at the pro level.

Let's not get overly excited about a guy I suspect very few have ever seen play. I've only seen him play once on TV (webstream actually) and other than outstanding footspeed, i couldn't see the big deal about the guy. However, as a long time fan of this dad, here's hoping he develops into something big.

And just to support your own thesis, Marcus Tracy isn't doing much of anything. He's a bench player with one goal since going there.

Most of the players who come out of NCAA at the striker position are not going to make this level. Dont' kid yourself about euro teams: they scout american colleges heavily, and sign the kids who can finish and have technical skills and intelligence long before they're even thinking about MLS. The best example of this would be Vedad Ibesevic, signed by PSG out of his second year in college and now a highly prized striker for Hoffenheim.