PDA

View Full Version : Some Name Dropping from Washington Post

[NBF]
10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
MLS Coaching Status

We're waiting for D.C. United's decision on Tom Soehn and for the New York Red Bulls to do the right thing by retaining Richie Williams instead of importing a European leader. We're anticipating Peter Vermes (3-6-3 as the interim) to hire himself for the full-time gig in Kansas City and for Chicago to determine Denis Hamlett's future.

Meantime, Toronto has begun contacting candidates to replace Chris Cummins, who was let go this week after serving as the interim coach in place of John Carver. And the buzz in the soccer community is that, regardless of what unfolds this postseason, Preki and Chivas USA are likely going their separate ways after three years. The club holds the option on the final year (2010) of his contract.

Perhaps Chivas wants to forge a stronger Latin identity and hire a Mexican coach? Preki in Toronto, perhaps?

And has Gary Smith done enough in Colorado?

Portland and Vancouver, entering MLS in 2011, will also begin assessing their coaching options soon.

Among the names mentioned for current and possible openings are Los Angeles assistants Dave Sarachan and Trevor James, former Kansas City coach Curt Onalfo, Houston assistant John Spencer, Puerto Rico Coach Colin Clarke and Columbus technical director Brian Bliss. If Preki and Williams are liberated, they'll undoubtedly join this group. And if Soehn is let go, Williams would become a prime candidate for DCU, where he spent six years as a player. Onalfo's ties to DCU as a player and assistant, his fluency in Spanish and national team tutelage under maestro Bruce Arena are beneficial.

There's also been speculation about the University of Maryland's Sasho Cirovski, but he has no experience beyond the college game and, even if he were offered an MLS position, he would probably find it very difficult to walk away from what is essentially a well-compensated job for life at a premier program that has refined numerous pro prospects. There's also the issue of control. Last winter, Cirovski told the Insider: "It would have to be the perfect opportunity. I am a hands-on person, and I would want to have a lot of control and power. A lot of people probably wouldn't want to give me that."

What do you think will happen in MLS's coaching circles?

Sounds good to me, hes got player experience and coaching experience:scarf:

After that all we would need is Tyson Wahl as a CB and Cameron Weaver or Nate Jaqua as our Strikers

Brooker
10-30-2009, 02:56 AM
wait a minute... we're not considering hiring a coach that has MLS experience.... are we?

let's not lose our minds here.

Super
10-30-2009, 03:11 AM
According to his Wikipedia page he was with Kansas City during the years that Mo Johnston played for them as well. Could be a match in heaven. Looks good to me, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preki

denime
10-30-2009, 05:42 AM
No need for multiple threads,we have one already going where same article with link was already posted.

Secondly Preki is not Mexican he is Serbian born player/coach.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18181&page=2

Thread Closed