PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Park

Pages : [1] 2

Bloor West FC
10-29-2009, 10:25 PM
This stadium is looking sweet, really does remind me of Europe!! But BMO is still cool!!

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7097843

james
10-29-2009, 10:48 PM
it is a really nice stadium, but we seem to have pics posted of Red Bull Arena every week. Lets just save the next one till when the stadium is completely built.

C.Ronaldo
10-30-2009, 09:09 AM
thats a lot of seats to fill

nobodybeatsthewiz
10-30-2009, 09:12 AM
going to be so good being in the away section there next season. you know, NOT in an aluminum can-styled complex.

Carts
10-30-2009, 09:28 AM

Agreed 25,000 is alot for the MLS, but I think its a good number for this stadium...

This venue could become huge for summer concerts, as it'll boast mostly covered stands, good accounstics being outdoors, and will be much much much cheaper for the promoter to lease than anything in Manhattan or even 'the rock' also in Jersey...

If the Red Bulls get 15,000 for most games, the lower bowl should look full - and ESPN will frame out the empty seats up top in the corners...

It seems they have done everything right with this stadium - not including location, thats a whole other story...

I also wouldn't be suprised if it becomes a busy venue for NCAA tournament matches between schools in the area etc...

Carts...

"THE PAGE"
10-30-2009, 09:36 AM
in a few years our stadium willl be worst, the cheapest, least attractive in MLS. Weak! Its a bloody bleacher!

rocker
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM
in a few years our stadium willl be worst, the cheapest, least attractive in MLS. Weak! Its a bloody bleacher!

who cares? do you attend for the match or to look at the stadium?

I didn't realize it mattered whether my stadium was "attractive" or not. Now, if we're talking about women.............

BMO has GREAT views from the seats and will have grass next year, in a great location right next to the city. Awesome!

boban
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Agreed 25,000 is alot for the MLS, but I think its a good number for this stadium...

This venue could become huge for summer concerts, as it'll boast mostly covered stands, good accounstics being outdoors, and will be much much much cheaper for the promoter to lease than anything in Manhattan or even 'the rock' also in Jersey...

If the Red Bulls get 15,000 for most games, the lower bowl should look full - and ESPN will frame out the empty seats up top in the corners...

It seems they have done everything right with this stadium - not including location, thats a whole other story...

I also wouldn't be suprised if it becomes a busy venue for NCAA tournament matches between schools in the area etc...

Carts...
They will get way more than 15,000.
Also, which tournament do you speak of?

boban
10-30-2009, 10:58 AM
it is a really nice stadium, but we seem to have pics posted of Red Bull Arena every week. Lets just save the next one till when the stadium is completely built.
don't click on the thread.

Whoop
10-30-2009, 11:03 AM

I agree with boban.

I don't why some people are so smug to think that only we, in Toronto, can fill a 20,000+ seat stadium.

Have you thought that part of the reason the Red Bulls didn't have better attendance, aside from the team being crap, was because Giants Stadium was probably one of the worst venues in the world to watch a football match?

I guarantee they will be at 95-99% capacity for their home opener and will likely get close to 20,000 per game will likely have a better average attendance than TFC.

The area around the stadium might be shit but with it being on the PATH line, it's easier to get to than the Meadowlands.

C.Ronaldo
10-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I agree with boban.

I don't why some people are so smug to think that only we, in Toronto, can fill a 20,000+ seat stadium.

Have you thought that part of the reason the Red Bulls didn't have better attendance, aside from the team being crap, was because Giants Stadium was probably one of the worst venues in the world to watch a football match?

I guarantee they will be at 95-99% capacity for their home opener and will likely get close to 20,000 per game will likely have a better average attendance than TFC.

The area around the stadium might be shit but with it being on the PATH line, it's easier to get to than the Meadowlands.

I really hope so.

New York needs to be a soccer power house for the sport to really matter in the USofA.

Too bad they love a sport so much which no one else in the world seem to care about

Oldtimer
10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Our stadium with grass is going to be the best in Canada for watching the game.
Would I like MLSE to put in a roof? You bet.
Would I be willing to pay another $100/year to have that roof? Not a chance.
So I'm happy enough with what we got.

Also... it might be controversial to say this, but I'd sure rather have ML$E than Red Bull as our team owner.

Ageroo
10-30-2009, 11:21 AM
We drove by the new Red Bull Stadium on our way back home from the match on the weekend........from the outside it really sharp.....

Broadview
10-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't think the location is all that bad. We drove by it on the way back from the hotel on Sunday and there's a train station right there and not as far from "stuff" as I had been led to believe. It's actually not all that far from a portuguese neighborhood in Newark.

Broadview
10-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Same car :)

Ageroo
10-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Same car :)

Different snoring.........:D

boban
10-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Also... it might be controversial to say this, but I'd sure rather have ML$E than Red Bull as our team owner.
And yest we still have among the highest tickets in the league.
I think lots of displeasure is with the fact MLSE built it on the cheap.
Other teams spent more on infrastructure, yet still fits within a business plan.
But here we have to feed the pension fund.

Beach_Red
10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
And yest we still have among the highest tickets in the league.
I think lots of displeasure is with the fact MLSE built it on the cheap.
Other teams spent more on infrastructure, yet still fits within a business plan.
But here we have to feed the pension fund.

They didn't even build it. They didn't even build a venue for their hocky team. Remember when the Raptors hd diffrent owners and they appraoched MLSE about the ACC and MLSE said it wasn't good enough for hockey? Then when the deal was right suddenly it was good enough.

There's nothing new here.

Sometimes I do wonder how TFC would have done with the Argos owners - what those guys might have done with this fanbase...

Carts
10-30-2009, 12:41 PM

I think so to... I said "if they get 15,000" like a worst case scenario...

I personally think the crowds will be excellent...

NCAA matches; SUNY school's and other state schools often have inter-tournaments between them outside of competition - especially the lower level schools, as it gives them a chance at some equal competition etc...

I think the venue will be a busy place...

Carts...

Dirk Diggler
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
They didn't even build it. They didn't even build a venue for their hocky team. Remember when the Raptors hd diffrent owners and they appraoched MLSE about the ACC and MLSE said it wasn't good enough for hockey? Then when the deal was right suddenly it was good enough.

LOL ... is this true? I knew that the ACC is primarily designed for basketball but I never knew about the reason behind that fact ... so how much did MLSE pitch in for the Air Canada Centre?

gtaguy
10-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Red bulls new stadium is one beautiful place I don't deny that.. But our tin can stadium no matter what becuase of all of us supporters is tops for me.:scarf:

Gazza_55
10-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree with boban.

Not probably. It is THE WORST.

Canary Canuck
10-30-2009, 10:55 PM
A poster on BS said a month ago they were at 3800 season tickets. Hopefully they can reach 5 digits for the new season.

keem-o-sabi
10-31-2009, 09:24 AM
they aren't going to hold concerts there from what they told me when i was down there last weekend. The stadium is amazing, can't wait to see a match there. RBNY is putting their U23 team in our little 4th division league (NPSL, which we are adding 3 teams in the Golden Horseshoe as well...Winstars Academy, DPS Academy, and Niagara Falls/St. Catharines) and they are going to do a double header with the first team so that will be fun.

But to get back to my point, they aren't going to use it for concerts, they have enough venues in the city. The area isn't too bad, there are a ton of really nice restaurants near the stadium too (There is a little bridge right outside of the stadium and the Ironbound area is a little walk from the stadium with those restaurants (according to RB| staff).

I think they are really going after Henry, so that should help with attendance as well. I really hope they do well as that will set a course for everyone. it will be weird to have a truly dedicated soccer stadium. All the rest have multiple sports (Lacrosse, football, etc) playing in them.

werewolf
10-31-2009, 10:31 AM
I really hope so.

New York needs to be a soccer power house for the sport to really matter in the USofA.

Too bad they love a sport so much which no one else in the world seem to care about

This is only a stepping stone in that direction. It may be on the train line, but I have a hard time believing NY will truly consider it there team when its so far into NJ (not that far, but farther then seeing it across the river). As well as constant rumours of a 2nd NY team in the future. Looks like a nice stadium though, America's most expensive toilet.

koryo
10-31-2009, 11:14 AM
That ground looks fantastic.

Have to say I'm just a little bit envious.

boban
10-31-2009, 11:41 AM

Yes they did not finance 100% of it. But they loaned $10 mil in the name of naming rights, and did put in another $8m to top the project off and make it a go. Stadiums all across N. America get a mix of government and private financing - just like this one. Difference in other cases is that you see alot more investment by the team owners as a percentage. This was not the case here.

boban
10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
I think so to... I said "if they get 15,000" like a worst case scenario...

I personally think the crowds will be excellent...

NCAA matches; SUNY school's and other state schools often have inter-tournaments between them outside of competition - especially the lower level schools, as it gives them a chance at some equal competition etc...

I think the venue will be a busy place...

Carts...
I hope its not too busy - at least not with grid iron ball.

Canary Canuck
10-31-2009, 12:07 PM
I hope its not too busy - at least not with grid iron ball.

You'll see a ton of international friendlies played there. With the demographics of New York, there's a ton of teams and matchups that can fill that stadium and the team can make a ton of money off that.

mdc 77
11-01-2009, 06:19 PM
That ground looks fantastic.

Have to say I'm just a little bit envious.

Exactly my thoughts.

Shway
11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
What i think

Wow theres only so many soccer stadiums in Canada

MOST DEFINATELY

I would pay 200 hundred more to get a pair of seasons

Same we could be in the Skydome all season long

Definately not, they are using there money that hasnt even came in. ML$E is not even looking into the future i feel, because it seems like they want to be successfull for a cheap pric. I personally would want Red Bull for ownership the only negative is having those raging bulls on the jerseys

troy1982
12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Here are the latest pics

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jhmgrWpaaME/SxmKJmH6juI/AAAAAAAAAOg/dkpnJ6eoeRA/s1600/3.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jhmgrWpaaME/SxmKCY9ayhI/AAAAAAAAAOY/ShxsxsWy3jQ/s1600/4.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs091.snc3/15858_208030472717_527307717_4044923_6801969_n.jpg

and Bonus: P.U. Stadium aswell
http://i50.tinypic.com/2mq97gy.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/1y9tow.jpg

Nodoubtguy
12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Here are the latest pics

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jhmgrWpaaME/SxmKJmH6juI/AAAAAAAAAOg/dkpnJ6eoeRA/s1600/3.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jhmgrWpaaME/SxmKCY9ayhI/AAAAAAAAAOY/ShxsxsWy3jQ/s1600/4.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs091.snc3/15858_208030472717_527307717_4044923_6801969_n.jpg

:drool5:

kodiakTFC
12-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I hate being jealous of them but alas I have to be. Beautiful park, envy of the league.

Brooker
12-04-2009, 09:15 PM
un be lievable.

well done.

Redcoe15
12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Gives me another reason to hate them more. :mad:

ag futbol
12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
erm... road trip?

man i am jealous. Hopefully it helps them out, because like it or not the league needs their success.

rocker
12-04-2009, 09:47 PM
that PU stadium, the Chesterfield, has really come along quickly. I could sworn when I looked not that long ago, it was still just the bare steel.

Keystone FC
12-05-2009, 06:35 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2mq97gy.jpg

We're going to have to find a way to hang a banner from that bridge. ;)

tfcleeds
12-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Again, Red Bull Park is looking great. Too bad such a shite team has to play there...

greatwhitenorf
12-05-2009, 11:55 PM
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=806942

Great thread from a great site. More than 15 pages of panorama pictures of stadiums from all over the world. Be warned, serious time waster.

Canary Canuck
12-06-2009, 01:50 AM
that PU stadium, the Chesterfield, has really come along quickly. I could sworn when I looked not that long ago, it was still just the bare steel.

Same here. I can't believe how fast it's going up.

JuliquE
12-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Yum.

MUFC_Niagara
12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
It make our ground look so ghetto :(

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Can't wait for that road trip. Wow.

Keystone FC
12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
From what I hear Philly's sss is IN the ghetto...so cheer up.:D

rocker
12-06-2009, 06:15 PM

the ghetto makes you stronger

Redcoe15
12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Maybe. But it's OUR ghetto. :scarf:

SilverSamurai
12-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Maybe. But it's OUR ghetto. :scarf:
+1.
At least we have something.
I'd hate to be in the situation the Revs or Wizards are in.

Canary Canuck
12-10-2009, 12:47 PM
new video update

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7144093&team_id=t107

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
You know, I'm not sure what it is, but something about that video seems to indicate to me that TFC TV's production standards are a lot higher than NYRB's...

Looks to be coming along well, but they still have to install the majority of the seats, I'm sure among other things... and there's only 3 1/2 months to go til opening day.

troy1982
12-11-2009, 11:58 PM
some more pics

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4637/rba2.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9808/rba3.jpg

Whoop
12-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Damn...

Dunkers
12-12-2009, 01:29 AM
does it not seem weird to anyone else that the grass is already seeded....Why run the soil heating all winter?

Still looks like a great stadium

kodiakTFC
12-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Does Red Bull Arena have any capability at being expanded? I know for now 25k seems more than enough but in the future would it even be possible to expand this place if there was a need to?

akoto
12-12-2009, 09:38 AM
FIFA requires a stadium to seat 40,000 to host a world cup match which is a shame because it doesn't look like they can add 15,000 seats here. Provided the US wins it's bid, it would be a shame to see games at Giants Stadium over this beautiful SSS.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-12-2009, 09:45 AM
^ The funny thing is that FIFA were actually encouraging Canada to make a bid after the successful U-20 World Cup... They obviously don't know the CSA as well as we do.

canadian_bhoy
12-12-2009, 09:57 AM
some more pics

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4637/rba2.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9808/rba3.jpg

I think the biggest compliment you can pay to Red Bull Park is to say that this could be the stadium of any moderately large club in europe.

MLS wanted authenticity and credibility...this arena has it in spades

Whoop
12-12-2009, 10:02 AM
The only thing is look how big that club seat area is. Looks kind of odd.

akoto
12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Well according to FIFA you need 12-18 40,000+ seat stadiums which I don't believe we have here do we?

BC Place
Commonwealth
McMahon - Maybe
Mosiac in Regina would need a huge upgrade
Canad Inns Stadium again would need a huge reno
Rogers Centre
New stadium being built in Hamilton would need to be expanded
Frank Clair would need another 12,000
The Big O

That's about it really. 9. We would need to build at least 3 new stadiums and make major renos to 5. Where would we put these stadiums? Atlantic Canada? FIFA is smoking crack. I would love to see a world cup here but unless we co-host with the US I don't see it happening.

Whoop
12-12-2009, 10:06 AM
^^
Let's not go down this road again.

I think Red Bull Arena could be "modified" to get 40,000. But either way that's a minimum. They would probably play at the new Meadowlands Stadium if the US got the World Cup.

I think Red Bull Arena could be the host of a Gold Cup final?

akoto
12-12-2009, 10:07 AM
but back to topic.

"This stadium sure is puuuurrrrrrdddyyy."
/southern slack jawed yokel accent

kodiakTFC
12-12-2009, 10:11 AM
FIFA requires a stadium to seat 40,000 to host a world cup match which is a shame because it doesn't look like they can add 15,000 seats here. Provided the US wins it's bid, it would be a shame to see games at Giants Stadium over this beautiful SSS.

They are building a new stadium there for the Jets and Giants which seats 82.5k and would be the obvious choice for the New York World Cup venue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowlands_Stadium

rocker
12-12-2009, 10:31 AM
The only thing is look how big that club seat area is. Looks kind of odd.

you mean the private boxes stacked up?
the good thing is that will be the side of the camera. the camera will look toward the side with the big general seating area.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I think the biggest compliment you can pay to Red Bull Park is to say that this could be the stadium of any moderately large club in europe.

MLS wanted authenticity and credibility...this arena has it in spades
Well said... I'm sure being owned by Red Bull played a part though, they own RB Salzburg in Austria so they know what a real football stadium looks like.

And the majority of the stadiums in Japan and South Korea were new. The difference is that those countries are interested in actually going somewhere in the game of football.

Yohan
12-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Well said... I'm sure being owned by Red Bull played a part though, they own RB Salzburg in Austria so they know what a real football stadium looks like.

And the majority of the stadiums in Japan and South Korea were new. The difference is that those countries are interested in actually going somewhere in the game of football.
I don't know about that. Domestic K League suffers from poor attendance, and it's partially due to playing in oversized WC stadiums. National team program is good, but good domestic league is fundamental to good national team success IMO.

I think South Korea should ditch WC stadiums and build smaller SSS. The interest just isn't there for domestic league.

akoto
12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
They are building a new stadium there for the Jets and Giants which seats 82.5k and would be the obvious choice for the New York World Cup venue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowlands_Stadium

I had forgot about them building that. You are right that would be the obvious choice.

james
12-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Well according to FIFA you need 12-18 40,000+ seat stadiums which I don't believe we have here do we?

BC Place
Commonwealth
McMahon - Maybe
Mosiac in Regina would need a huge upgrade
Canad Inns Stadium again would need a huge reno
Rogers Centre
New stadium being built in Hamilton would need to be expanded
Frank Clair would need another 12,000
The Big O

That's about it really. 9. We would need to build at least 3 new stadiums and make major renos to 5. Where would we put these stadiums? Atlantic Canada? FIFA is smoking crack. I would love to see a world cup here but unless we co-host with the US I don't see it happening.

Ya but in passed years some other countries who have hosted World Cups built majority of there stadiums from scratch. So Canada wouldnt be the first country to have to build bran new 9+ stadiums.

The bigger probblem with Canada is what could they do with the stadiums after the world cup?? it is a waste of money to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build stadiums and then only use for 1 month. And the stadiums would be to big for CFL or MLS. Canada would have to have stadiums built and designed so it could be downsized after and used for other sport teams. An example would be build a 50,000-60,000 seat Soccer stadiums in cities such as Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal, exc. and then once the world cup is over shrink the stadium down to 25,000-35,000 seat stadiums and use for either MLS teams or CFL teams.....most CFL teams do need new stadiums, and some cities would like an MLS stadium as well. I know a few cities have done that with Olympic and soccer venues in the passed.

boban
12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Don't be so stuck on numbers. it's more the overall bid.
South Africa doesn't have 12 stadiums and its hosting.
10 is fine and Canada can do that no problem.

boban
12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Ya but in passed years some other countries who have hosted World Cups built majority of there stadiums from scratch. So Canada wouldnt be the first country to have to build bran new 9+ stadiums.

The bigger probblem with Canada is what could they do with the stadiums after the world cup?? it is a waste of money to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build stadiums and then only use for 1 month. And the stadiums would be to big for CFL or MLS. Canada would have to have stadiums built and designed so it could be downsized after and used for other sport teams. An example would be build a 50,000-60,000 seat Soccer stadiums in cities such as Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal, exc. and then once the world cup is over shrink the stadium down to 25,000-35,000 seat stadiums and use for either MLS teams or CFL teams.....most CFL teams do need new stadiums, and some cities would like an MLS stadium as well. I know a few cities have done that with Olympic and soccer venues in the passed.
Edmonton, Vancouver, and Montreal stadiums are already at 60,000 and + plus already. Just refurbishments are needed (esp. Montreal). Regina is building a new 40,000, so is Winnipeg. That's five built.
You are right though, Ottawa, Calgary, Hamilton and Halifax would have to be expanded to 45-50,000, and then downsized afterward. This isn't a problem as they do this already for 1 game Grey Cups.
The biggest issue would be a brand new stadium for the Finals in Toronto. Without this, the WC here in this country is a no go. But, the city was willing on 2 occasions to build a 100,000 seater for the Olympics. Building an ~85,000 seater shouldn't be so hard then. This stadium then you could downsize for the Argos, or have an NFL team take residence.

Kaz
12-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Skydome can be fit for a WC final. Just a matter of putting in a good grass pitch..

tovan
12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Edmonton, Vancouver, and Montreal stadiums are already at 60,000 and + plus already. Just refurbishments are needed (esp. Montreal). Regina is building a new 40,000, so is Winnipeg. That's five built.
You are right though, Ottawa, Calgary, Hamilton and Halifax would have to be expanded to 45-50,000, and then downsized afterward. This isn't a problem as they do this already for 1 game Grey Cups.
The biggest issue would be a brand new stadium for the Finals in Toronto. Without this, the WC here in this country is a no go. But, the city was willing on 2 occasions to build a 100,000 seater for the Olympics. Building an ~85,000 seater shouldn't be so hard then. This stadium then you could downsize for the Argos, or have an NFL team take residence.

I don't think Rogers Centre meets the seating reqs for a WC Final. I remember reading somewhere that the final must be held in a stadium that holds 70,000+. The logical and most cost effective solution would be to use Olympic Stadium in Montreal which could be renovated to fit 70k (it held 72k for the '76 Olympic soccer final). Reconfigure the lower bowl into a rectangular shape instead of the ugly baseball configuration (pro baseball will not be returning to Montreal anytime soon), take off the roof or redesign the retractable roof, and rip out the monstrous scoreboard/video screen to complete the upper and lower seating bowls. Although a WC Final would be great to have in Toronto this would be a much simpler and cheaper alternative for all parties concerned. Though, the question of what the stadium would be used for after the World Cup would be something to seriously consider. However, as with BC Place in Vancouver I imagine that sporting events are not the primary revenue generator. Most dates are filled with conventions, trade shows, concerts, etc.

70,000+ Montreal (Major renovation)
60,000+ Vancouver (Renovated 2011), Edmonton
50,000+ Toronto, Calgary (Expansion?)
40,000+ Regina (Planned), Winnipeg (Planned), Ottawa (Planned renovation with temp seating to 40,000), Hamilton (Planned with temp seating to 40,000)

Completely new stadiums would only be required in either Halifax or Quebec City or both. They can be designed to be downsized following hosting. If a deal could be made with the CFL the league would be able to expand into those cities to cover all regions of the country making it a truly national league.

South Africa will use 10 venues, Germany used 12, Japan/Korea 20 but most are white elephants, France 10. 10-11 Canadian World Cup stadiums would not be out of the question given the political will is there and the economics to do so are favourable.

tovan
12-12-2009, 07:40 PM
anyways, back to the thread topic... Red Bull Arena = http://calipedia.info/gif/jizz2.gif

Canary Canuck
12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
A rep from Rossetti Architects claimed in a recent interview that the stadium can be expanded by putting on a third deck.

SvenFlu
12-12-2009, 09:31 PM

The new Giants Stadium is actually modeled after Allianz Arena in Munich

Canary Canuck
12-12-2009, 10:54 PM
The new Giants Stadium is actually modeled after Allianz Arena in Munich

They used the same lighting technology on the facade but other than that the designs are very different.

stugautz
12-13-2009, 02:16 AM
I don't think Rogers Centre meets the seating reqs for a WC Final. I remember reading somewhere that the final must be held in a stadium that holds 70,000+. The logical and most cost effective solution would be to use Olympic Stadium in Montreal which could be renovated to fit 70k (it held 72k for the '76 Olympic soccer final). Reconfigure the lower bowl into a rectangular shape instead of the ugly baseball configuration (pro baseball will not be returning to Montreal anytime soon), take off the roof or redesign the retractable roof, and rip out the monstrous scoreboard/video screen to complete the upper and lower seating bowls. Although a WC Final would be great to have in Toronto this would be a much simpler and cheaper alternative for all parties concerned. Though, the question of what the stadium would be used for after the World Cup would be something to seriously consider. However, as with BC Place in Vancouver I imagine that sporting events are not the primary revenue generator. Most dates are filled with conventions, trade shows, concerts, etc.

40,000+ Regina (Planned), Winnipeg (Planned), Ottawa (Planned renovation with temp seating to 40,000), Hamilton (Planned with temp seating to 40,000)

Completely new stadiums would only be required in either Halifax or Quebec City or both. They can be designed to be downsized following hosting. If a deal could be made with the CFL the league would be able to expand into those cities to cover all regions of the country making it a truly national league.

South Africa will use 10 venues, Germany used 12, Japan/Korea 20 but most are white elephants, France 10. 10-11 Canadian World Cup stadiums would not be out of the question given the political will is there and the economics to do so are favourable.

An NFL team in Toronto would most likely require the building of their own 70,000 seat stadium which would be an ideal location for a world cup final.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-13-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't know about that. Domestic K League suffers from poor attendance, and it's partially due to playing in oversized WC stadiums. National team program is good, but good domestic league is fundamental to good national team success IMO.

I think South Korea should ditch WC stadiums and build smaller SSS. The interest just isn't there for domestic league.
I didn't know that... What I meant, though, is that they were willing to do what it took to get the World Cup there.

Kaz
12-13-2009, 09:19 AM
An NFL team in Toronto would most likely require the building of their own 70,000 seat stadium which would be an ideal location for a world cup final.
why?
Skydome still is a functional is not icky venue. Half the reason I think people of interest are working on getting an NFL franchise is for a paying tenant at Skydome. (besides the jays)

tovan
12-13-2009, 01:27 PM

I'm not sure the desire to bring an NFL team here is as strong as it once was though it remains lukewarm. The NFL is not too impressed with the attendance and production of the Bills games over the last two years and the cost of building a new stadium for the NFL would be extremely expensive.

If Vancouver's BC Place renovation is costing $400 million, building a new stadium up to NFL standards would easily cost between $800 million to $1 billion. The investment required to bring a team here would be astronomical and there doesn't seem to be any strong interest within the private and public sectors to bring a team here after Ted Rogers passed away, him being the main proponent of bringing a team to the city. With the relocation/franchise fee and the cost of stadium construction considered, you're looking at an investment of well over $1-$1.5 billion.

Any potential ownership group will not be willing to pay the entire cost without any government help or funding. The levels of government won't be willing to fork out for another stadium when Rogers is still perfectly functional and they just recently provided some funding for BMO Field. They may also feel the need to protect the domestic CFL game, afterall it is uniquely Canadian and 100 years old. I could also see there being a huge public backlash if the government was to provide any significant funds for such an initiative for any number of reasons.

Just because there are many fans of the NFL in Toronto doesn't mean its going to happen. The political will to get it done is close to being non-existent, potential ownership groups aren't pushing the idea as they once were, the NFL is no longer impressed with Toronto's potential as a franchise city, not to mention the billions of dollars that would be needed.

That being said, there was a World Cup feasibility study done by Deloitte and Touche for the CSA a few years back that proposed the Final be hosted in Montreal. Like I said in my previous post, a World Cup Final would be awesome for Toronto but if the World Cup were held in Canada, it doesn't mean that the Final has to be in Toronto.

Redcoe15
12-13-2009, 01:28 PM

why?
Skydome still is a functional is not icky venue. Half the reason I think people of interest are working on getting an NFL franchise is for a paying tenant at Skydome. (besides the jays)
I do think that, if Toronto were to land an NFL team, at some point, a new stadium in the 70,000 seat range will have to be built. And, hopefully, they'll think about designing the field to meet FIFA standards, ala Qwest Field in Seattle.

werewolf
12-13-2009, 01:29 PM
There could also be a large stadium built in Toronto for the Olympics at some point :)

stugautz
12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
However, for a future World Cup final/Olympic/NFL team Bid, the Sky Dome would be an inadequate facility. How would Skydome fare as an NFL venue compared with current NFL stadiums

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

I would put it in the bottom third of stadiums.

I also don't see an NFL team coming to Toronto without an accompanying summer olympics/major sporting event bid to offset the cost of construction

SilverSamurai
12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I do think that, if Toronto were to land an NFL team, at some point, a new stadium in the 70,000 seat range will have to be built. And, hopefully, they'll think about designing the field to meet FIFA standards, ala Qwest Field in Seattle.
Seems like a waste to me, especially when the skydome works fine.
Waste of $$$ to make a new stadium and theirs only like 8 home games in an nfl season?
I'm sure they could outfit the skydome so it can fit an extra 5-6k easy, maybe even 10k.

Canary Canuck
12-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I can't see them building a new stadium for the NFL for the sake of 10,000 more seats. The main reason new NFL stadiums are built these days are just for the added bells and whistles (boxes, restaurants etc.) and Rogers Centre is already decked out to the nines with all of those.

Kaz
12-13-2009, 04:11 PM
I can't see them building a new stadium for the NFL for the sake of 10,000 more seats. The main reason new NFL stadiums are built these days are just for the added bells and whistles (boxes, restaurants etc.) and Rogers Centre is already decked out to the nines with all of those.

Well if a NFL team were to come to Toronto it would most likely be moved from the US.
I've only heard of Rumours of the Bills considering a move.. and they are still averaging 70k a game. Only Jacksonville, Oakland, and St Louis average attendance low enough to make a Toronto move a increase in that respect.

So it does in fact look like that outside of a brand new franchise no NFL team would move without a new NFL size Stadium.

I hate it when facts get in the way of opinion. Particularly my opinion.

Beach_Red
12-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Well if a NFL team were to come to Toronto it would most likely be moved from the US.
I've only heard of Rumours of the Bills considering a move.. and they are still averaging 70k a game. Only Jacksonville, Oakland, and St Louis average attendance low enough to make a Toronto move a increase in that respect.

So it does in fact look like that outside of a brand new franchise no NFL team would move without a new NFL size Stadium.

I hate it when facts get in the way of opinion. Particularly my opinion.

Yes, an NFL team would have to be moved and keep the same ownership because no one in Toronto will step up with the needed money. Houston paid $700 million for a team and the price has probably gone up since then.

And, more importantly, as it says on Wiki, "The NFL currently forbids large ownership groups or publicly-traded corporations from purchasing NFL teams. This policy allows the league office to deal with individual owners instead of boards of directors (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Board_of_directors), although the Packers' ownership group was grandfathered (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Grandfather_clause) into the current policy."

So that rules out Rogers or MLSE or anyone else in Toronto likely to step up with that kind of money. Even if the Bills are put up for sale, which individual would put up the money to move them to Toronto?

werewolf
12-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes, an NFL team would have to be moved and keep the same ownership because no one in Toronto will step up with the needed money. Houston paid $700 million for a team and the price has probably gone up since then.

And, more importantly, as it says on Wiki, "The NFL currently forbids large ownership groups or publicly-traded corporations from purchasing NFL teams. This policy allows the league office to deal with individual owners instead of boards of directors (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Board_of_directors), although the Packers' ownership group was grandfathered (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Grandfather_clause) into the current policy."

So that rules out Rogers or MLSE or anyone else in Toronto likely to step up with that kind of money. Even if the Bills are put up for sale, which individual would put up the money to move them to Toronto?

Maybe Jim Balsille should take on a new league to get a franchise from. For some reason I have a feeling the ultra-exclusive NFL owners club might be easier for him to break into. :lol:

Beach_Red
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe Jim Balsille should take on a new league to get a franchise from. For some reason I have a feeling the ultra-exclusive NFL owners club might be easier for him to break into. :lol:

You may be right. They certainly aren't as territorial. The article also says, "Because the National Football League (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/National_Football_League) shares all of its television revenue equally, and most of its teams sell out their stadiums with little difficulty, some NFL owners are seen as being less reluctant to share their territories. For example, the return of the NFL to Baltimore (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Baltimore,_Maryland) in 1996 attracted no serious opposition from the Washington Redskins (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Washington_Redskins) organization."

It's always good to hear about a business that's more concerned with overall success than with limiting competiton.

Brooker
12-13-2009, 07:29 PM
what in gods name are you guys talking about? lol!

james
12-13-2009, 11:52 PM

they have said on Bills gmaes that for Toronto to get an NFL team they need a new stadium. Sky Dome holds 52,000, Toroto would need a 70,000+ stadium to land a NFL franchise. Its more then just 10,000.

james
12-13-2009, 11:56 PM
personally i dont think a NFL franchise would be that successful in Toronto, i think they thot NFL would be a big hit like the Toronto Maple Leafs and beable to sell tickets at the same price as leaf games, bu they have realized that they cant. Toronto is having a hard time to sell at sky dome when bills play here because tickets are over priced, plus we got the argos and ti-cats just half an hour away.

Canary Canuck
12-14-2009, 12:47 AM
personally i dont think a NFL franchise would be that successful in Toronto, i think they thot NFL would be a big hit like the Toronto Maple Leafs and beable to sell tickets at the same price as leaf games, bu they have realized that they cant. Toronto is having a hard time to sell at sky dome when bills play here because tickets are over priced, plus we got the argos and ti-cats just half an hour away.

The reason this has failed is the fact it's not a Toronto team involved. Nobody has any reason to care about two random teams playing a neutral site game nor do they have any sufficient emotional attachment driving them to pay high ticket prices. On top of that, the people who actually do care just drive to Buffalo where the tickets are cheap as dirt. They played neutral site NBA games at the skydome before toronto ever got the raps and nobody gave a crap about those games either. Until it's a Toronto team, nobody will care.

they have said on Bills gmaes that for Toronto to get an NFL team they need a new stadium. Sky Dome holds 52,000, Toroto would need a 70,000+ stadium to land a NFL franchise. Its more then just 10,000.

The Bills commentators are not the be all and end all. With respect to capacity, The most recent stadiums built in the NFL (Ford Field, Heinz Field, Lucas Oil stadium, Soldier Field, Phoenix) are all 61,000 to 64,000 seats. The key is not capacity but revenue generation. Bigger capacity stadia don't always make more money because any seats beyond 60,000 are just nosebleeds that can't be sold for much anyway. The added revenue from the extra capacity has to be able to offset the added construction cost to build it larger. Only teams with massive demand can charge enough for their nosebleeds to make it worthwhile (Dallas, New York, Washington, Houston).

There's room to add more capacity in the endzones at Rogers Centre to get it to 55/56k and even at that number the revenue that can be generated out of the stadium (with an actual Toronto team that people care about) would far outstrip anything Buffalo can get at the Ralph. Having 20,000 more capacity doesn't mean squat when tickets are dirt cheap and the only people with any money to buy suites are the local ambulance chasers (Cellino & Barnes lol) and car dealerships

Brooker
12-14-2009, 12:57 AM
man this is really gonna make our stadium look like the cramped, half ass piece of shit it actually is.

i'm so jealous.

Whoop
12-14-2009, 01:00 AM
It's a gorgeous stadium.

Good place for the US to hold friendlies.

BuSaPuNk
12-14-2009, 01:05 AM
The NFL could work in TO. However not with the prices that they have had with the Bills in TO series. The most expensive seat in Buffalo is the lowest ticket at the Dome. Just another example of Toronto sports fans getting flogged by the big man.

TFC RealDeal RPB
12-15-2009, 06:19 PM
That Kills Bmo By A Mile !!!!!!!

boban
12-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Who said anything about Skydome hosting the final??
A Canadian World Cup FInals does not happen without a brand new stadium in Toronto (80,000+). Period.

tovan
12-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Who said anything about Skydome hosting the final??
A Canadian World Cup FInals does not happen without a brand new stadium in Toronto (80,000+). Period.

Skydome can be fit for a WC final. Just a matter of putting in a good grass pitch..

boban, it was mentioned before my post. I was replying to it.

I also made the point in my next post that some people seem to assume that a WC final will automatically go to Toronto if the WC is hosted in Canada. There's a chance it might but it doesn't necessarily have to. It isn't Toronto's by right, Toronto would have to prove itself worthy like any other city. It would either have to have existing infrastructure in place or demonstrate that the political will is there to get an 80,000+ stadium built.

boban
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
boban, it was mentioned before my post. I was replying to it.

I also made the point in my next post that some people seem to assume that a WC final will automatically go to Toronto if the WC is hosted in Canada. There's a chance it might but it doesn't necessarily have to. It isn't Toronto's by right, Toronto would have to prove itself worthy like any other city. It would either have to have existing infrastructure in place or demonstrate that the political will is there to get an 80,000+ stadium built.
To host the final that would be a no brainer.
And like I said before, there would be no WC FInal in Canada if there is no final game in Toronto. In other words this means a 80,000 seater stadium.

Hitcho
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
80k plus? What the hell would we do with it after the event? The Dome is a giant waste of space at 50,000. No way would I want to see something like that built here - what a waste!

tovan
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Found the CSA Feasibility Study from 2000.
http://dss2.princeton.edu/data/3087/feasibility%20reports/wcstudy-eng.pdf

"Semi-finals will be played in Edmonton and Montreal and both the final and the third / fourth place play-off will be played in Montreal."

"The quality of the Olympic Stadium in Montreal, which is currently proposed to be the primary venue, is particularly important."

Though the study is almost 10 years old and many of the numbers are ridiculously low, it does try to make the most of existing infrastructure while trying to keep costs at a minimum. It also gives an idea of how the CSA would've approached bidding for a WC even though it won't happen any time soon. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/12/10/blatter011210.html. This actually shows how little things have changed in 10 years...

Anyways, to keep the thread on topic you can check the status of Red Bull Arena on their live webcam:
http://www.earthcam.com/clients/redbullarena/?cam=2

boban
12-16-2009, 11:29 AM
80k plus? What the hell would we do with it after the event? The Dome is a giant waste of space at 50,000. No way would I want to see something like that built here - what a waste!
Twice, for failed Olympic bids, Toronto was willing to build a stadium for 100,000. There would be political will for a 80,000 stadium no problem. The SkyDome is used for baseball, among other things, hardly a waste.
You find uses for the new stadium, other cities do.

boban
12-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Found the CSA Feasibility Study from 2000.
http://dss2.princeton.edu/data/3087/feasibility%20reports/wcstudy-eng.pdf

"Semi-finals will be played in Edmonton and Montreal and both the final and the third / fourth place play-off will be played in Montreal."

"The quality of the Olympic Stadium in Montreal, which is currently proposed to be the primary venue, is particularly important."

Though the study is almost 10 years old and many of the numbers are ridiculously low, it does try to make the most of existing infrastructure while trying to keep costs at a minimum. It also gives an idea of how the CSA would've approached bidding for a WC even though it won't happen any time soon. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/12/10/blatter011210.html. This actually shows how little things have changed in 10 years...

Anyways, to keep the thread on topic you can check the status of Red Bull Arena on their live webcam:
http://www.earthcam.com/clients/redbullarena/?cam=2
Thanksfor coming out and quoting a 2000 study. ;) The landscape has changed since then.
Also, its not the CSA who awards the World Cup, FIFA does. ;)

Hitcho
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Twice, for failed Olympic bids, Toronto was willing to build a stadium for 100,000. There would be political will for a 80,000 stadium no problem. The SkyDome is used for baseball, among other things, hardly a waste.

Oh come on dude. The Skydome is used for baseball? How often does that even come close to selling out? If we cannot make full use of a 50,000 seat venue then what the hell would we do with an additional 80,000 seat venue on top?! You say "find uses". I say come up with some that will draw up to 80,000 people on a regular basis.

The only way I could see somethign like this happening is to build a stadium that had temporary stands and could be reduced to around 30,000 after the event. But then you've got a hybrid stadium that looks like shit both before and after the main event. Either the Argos or TFC might be interested in taking it over, but would they want to? And who would pay for the reduction? And where would you fit an 80,000 seat stadium with enough aprking to accommodate all the people it would draw if full? Even with transit links you'll need at least 20,000 parking spaces for a full stadium.

Anyway, one 80,000 seat stadium doesn't make a world cup. England will be lucky to get the 2018 event event with its array of PL grounds. Canada would need 40,000+ seat SOCCER stadia in places likes Vancouver, Calgary, the Maritimes etc. Aint gonna happen. Ever.

Hitcho
12-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanksfor coming out and quoting a 2000 study. ;) The landscape has changed since then.

??!!?

Try reading the post before you slap it down. The poster acknowledges that the study is out of date and specifically says "IT GIVES AN IDEA".

Also, its not the CSA who awards the World Cup, FIFA does. ;)

The post also says "HOW THE CSA WOULD'VE APPROACHED BIDDING FOR A WC".

Bidding. Not awarding itself.

;)

tovan
12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
FIFA does award the WC but CSA would have to play an integral part of any bid. A CSA bid could NOT proceed without FIFA's backing and vice-versa. That being said, a WC in Canada is a pipe dream, at least for now. Though I hope to live long enough to see the day when it does happen but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one...

The Olympic bids were in the late 1990's and early 2000's, the political landscape has changed since then and the urban landscape will be drastically changing soon. With the Port Lands and West/Lower Donlands being proposed for redevelopment, central locations for such a stadium are fast disappearing. IMO the opportunity has come and gone... a new stadium is probably the last thing on anyone's mind at the moment, with the exception of a very small minority.

Bloor West FC
12-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Another video update, on Red Bull Park. Looking nice, I like there grass.

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7144093&team_id=t107

boban
12-17-2009, 07:48 AM
??!!?

Try reading the post before you slap it down. The poster acknowledges that the study is out of date and specifically says "IT GIVES AN IDEA".

The post also says "HOW THE CSA WOULD'VE APPROACHED BIDDING FOR A WC".

Bidding. Not awarding itself.

;)
I read it. Try reading my post again. It gives no idea because the study is old and the landscape of soccer has changed dramatically in this country.

Yes, the study is about bidding. To WIN the bid it has to be better. That study would never fly, and the news article quoted (2001) pretty much sums that up. A WINNING bid would require nothing less than a 80,000 seat stadium in Toronto.

boban
12-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Oh come on dude. The Skydome is used for baseball? How often does that even come close to selling out? If we cannot make full use of a 50,000 seat venue then what the hell would we do with an additional 80,000 seat venue on top?! You say "find uses". I say come up with some that will draw up to 80,000 people on a regular basis.

The only way I could see somethign like this happening is to build a stadium that had temporary stands and could be reduced to around 30,000 after the event. But then you've got a hybrid stadium that looks like shit both before and after the main event. Either the Argos or TFC might be interested in taking it over, but would they want to? And who would pay for the reduction? And where would you fit an 80,000 seat stadium with enough aprking to accommodate all the people it would draw if full? Even with transit links you'll need at least 20,000 parking spaces for a full stadium.

Anyway, one 80,000 seat stadium doesn't make a world cup. England will be lucky to get the 2018 event event with its array of PL grounds. Canada would need 40,000+ seat SOCCER stadia in places likes Vancouver, Calgary, the Maritimes etc. Aint gonna happen. Ever.
There are countless of stadiums in the world that are used not at capacity. Capacity is something that north americans seem to be transfixed on for some reason. To pay the bills for the upkeep of a venue capacity is not required. Further to that, you think 8 or 9 dates makes a $600 million NFL stadium financially sustainable?? Think again.

Sydney built a 110,000 seat stadium for the Olympics in 2000. After the Olympics they reduced it to 80,000 and put roofs over the two ends. Hardly looked like shit before and after.

You seem to be more of a problem seeker than a solutions seeker.

Fort York Redcoat
12-17-2009, 08:27 AM

The SkyDome is a waste. It was celebrated for 5 yrs and then considered stale before a fraction of it was paid for.

NA or NAmericans have choice. That is why we're fixated on full capacity to enhance our experience.

Billy the kid
12-17-2009, 11:14 AM
The SkyDome is a waste. It was celebrated for 5 yrs and then considered stale before a fraction of it was paid for.

NA or NAmericans have choice. That is why we're fixated on full capacity to enhance our experience.

The skyDome is not a waste. It's a great stadium, that doesn't appear worn down or dated.

boban
12-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Wrong. North Americans don't know how to sell tickets to less than capacity events.

Shakes McQueen
12-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Building an 80k seat soccer stadium in Toronto would be a financial disaster.

It would get used a couple of times a year when a band like U2 decides to come to town, and that's literally it.

- Scott

Always There
12-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Comparing attendance of 81 home dates to an NFL season of 8 is hardly fair. The Jays might not sell out every game, but have some dates with big crowds.

The Blue Jays draw 2 million, or just under, in a horrible year for attendance. Hardly a waste.

boban
12-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Building an 80k seat soccer stadium in Toronto would be a financial disaster.

It would get used a couple of times a year when a band like U2 decides to come to town, and that's literally it.

- Scott
What about other bands/concerts? Real international track meets instead of the schmooze fest at Varsity last year? Also an opportunity would present itself to alternate hosting the Gold Cup with the US, which goes nothing to say of a new home for the Argos. There are lots of options.

Put it this way for all the naysayers: Go sit and watch a movie in your house with the personal movie theatre for 30. Oh you can't because you don't have one you say? Exactly my point. If you have the facility, you will use it and find new ways to use it.

Hitcho
12-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I read it. Try reading my post again. It gives no idea because the study is old and the landscape of soccer has changed dramatically in this country.

Look, I don't want to turn this itno a tit for tat but Tovan actually said in his post
Though the study is almost 10 years old and many of the numbers are ridiculously low and
This actually shows how little things have changed in 10 years... so he knew what he was posting and its limitations and actually pointed that out, hence no need to call the poster out on that.

Yes, the study is about bidding. To WIN the bid it has to be better. That study would never fly, and the news article quoted (2001) pretty much sums that up. A WINNING bid would require nothing less than a 80,000 seat stadium in Toronto.

Again, the OP pointed this out and it would be clear to anyone anyway, but yes I completely agree with what you're saying.

Hitcho
12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
There are countless of stadiums in the world that are used not at capacity. Capacity is something that north americans seem to be transfixed on for some reason. To pay the bills for the upkeep of a venue capacity is not required. Further to that, you think 8 or 9 dates makes a $600 million NFL stadium financially sustainable?? Think again.

Sydney built a 110,000 seat stadium for the Olympics in 2000. After the Olympics they reduced it to 80,000 and put roofs over the two ends. Hardly looked like shit before and after.

You seem to be more of a problem seeker than a solutions seeker.

The cost of upkeep depends entirely on the typre of structure and where it is located. If you've got an old school 100,000 seat concrete bowl with no mod cons in ti located outside of a city centre, then chances are you won't need capacity crowds on a regulara basis (or even any regular crowds) to maintain it. But if you build an 80,000 seat high end stadium in the middle of Toronto in 2010 that's up to WC Finals standards then you better believe you will need to sell it out for years and decades to come to pay it off. Look at the Millennium Dome in London. It's not a stadium, but because of its size and location it cost the British taxpayers literally billions of pounds even including the money the government got for eventually selling it off. The same would happen here, albeit to a slightly lesser financial degree, if we built an 80k seat stadium and then didn't have a use for it afterwards.

And my point still stands - if we cannot sell out a 50,000 seat venue (not even close these days) then what would we do with an 80,000 seat venue on top of that? If nothing else it's a chronic waste of valuable and useful land space and it would cripple the city financially to build and then not use it.

You seem to be more of a dreamer than a realist. :D

Beach_Red
12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
What about other bands/concerts? Real international track meets instead of the schmooze fest at Varsity last year? Also an opportunity would present itself to alternate hosting the Gold Cup with the US, which goes nothing to say of a new home for the Argos. There are lots of options.

Put it this way for all the naysayers: Go sit and watch a movie in your house with the personal movie theatre for 30. Oh you can't because you don't have one you say? Exactly my point. If you have the facility, you will use it and find new ways to use it.

You're right, we'd use a stadium a lot. We just don't want to pay for it twice - once in taxes and once at the gate.

There is nothing stopping any private company from building such a venue - in fact they'd get huge tax breaks and probably free land if anyone wanted to.

But no one wants to.

boban
12-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Look, I don't want to turn this itno a tit for tat but Tovan actually said in his post and so he knew what he was posting and its limitations and actually pointed that out, hence no need to call the poster out on that.
Again, the OP pointed this out and it would be clear to anyone anyway, but yes I completely agree with what you're saying.
You quoted the OP as saying 'how little things have changed' in ten years.
I am saying things have changed dramatically. Hence, the study is worth nothing.

boban
12-18-2009, 10:33 AM
The cost of upkeep depends entirely on the typre of structure and where it is located. If you've got an old school 100,000 seat concrete bowl with no mod cons in ti located outside of a city centre, then chances are you won't need capacity crowds on a regulara basis (or even any regular crowds) to maintain it. But if you build an 80,000 seat high end stadium in the middle of Toronto in 2010 that's up to WC Finals standards then you better believe you will need to sell it out for years and decades to come to pay it off. Look at the Millennium Dome in London. It's not a stadium, but because of its size and location it cost the British taxpayers literally billions of pounds even including the money the government got for eventually selling it off. The same would happen here, albeit to a slightly lesser financial degree, if we built an 80k seat stadium and then didn't have a use for it afterwards.

And my point still stands - if we cannot sell out a 50,000 seat venue (not even close these days) then what would we do with an 80,000 seat venue on top of that? If nothing else it's a chronic waste of valuable and useful land space and it would cripple the city financially to build and then not use it.

You seem to be more of a dreamer than a realist. :D
You don't seem to be reading my posts. To build such a stadium, an event (such as the WC), would have to be an impetus to actually putting shovel to ground. I am not saying let's build something just for building it. I am also saying it can be designed to be downsized for after the event. It can be also designed in such a way that 50-60% capacity could be made to seem like full capacity events (see QWest Field in Seattle). This way smaller events can be used in it more (ex. Argos).

Outside baseball, SkyDome is a useless stadium on so many levels.

Without dreams nothing happens in reality. ;)

Whoop
12-18-2009, 12:43 PM
The only thing is that a WC in Canada isn't a dream, it's a fantasy.

Hitcho
12-18-2009, 01:19 PM
You quoted the OP as saying 'how little things have changed' in ten years.
I am saying things have changed dramatically. Hence, the study is worth nothing.

Fair enough.

You don't seem to be reading my posts. To build such a stadium, an event (such as the WC), would have to be an impetus to actually putting shovel to ground. I am not saying let's build something just for building it. I am also saying it can be designed to be downsized for after the event. It can be also designed in such a way that 50-60% capacity could be made to seem like full capacity events (see QWest Field in Seattle). This way smaller events can be used in it more (ex. Argos).

Outside baseball, SkyDome is a useless stadium on so many levels.

Without dreams nothing happens in reality. ;)

I see what you're saying Boban but I just don't think hosting a WC would make the aftermath of a giant, empty stadium worthwhile. Besides which it's running before we can walk Canada-wise. Let's get Mtl and Van into MLS and see if we can have three 20k-30k sell out teams every week for a years running. If that happens, and MLS grows past 20 teams, then we may end up with 5 Canadian MLS teams if soccer keeps growing here the way it seems to be. Only after we'd reached that point, with five strong professional teams, should we be looking to host the WC with any air of reality and utility about it. At that point, an 80k stadium that could be scaled back to 40k and taken over by MLSE after the event for use by TFC if they could more or less fill it up most weeks would seem like a sensible and viable proposition. But even then, we'd need the other four MLS teams to have 40k stadia under FIFA requirements and there's no way that's gonna happen.

Sorry dude, but this is as much of a pipe dream as Canada winning the WC.

boban
12-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Fair enough.

I see what you're saying Boban but I just don't think hosting a WC would make the aftermath of a giant, empty stadium worthwhile. Besides which it's running before we can walk Canada-wise. Let's get Mtl and Van into MLS and see if we can have three 20k-30k sell out teams every week for a years running. If that happens, and MLS grows past 20 teams, then we may end up with 5 Canadian MLS teams if soccer keeps growing here the way it seems to be. Only after we'd reached that point, with five strong professional teams, should we be looking to host the WC with any air of reality and utility about it. At that point, an 80k stadium that could be scaled back to 40k and taken over by MLSE after the event for use by TFC if they could more or less fill it up most weeks would seem like a sensible and viable proposition. But even then, we'd need the other four MLS teams to have 40k stadia under FIFA requirements and there's no way that's gonna happen.

Sorry dude, but this is as much of a pipe dream as Canada winning the WC.
The stadium wouldn't be empty. it would host a ray of events and could be used for many competitions (ie. Gold Cup). The Argos could also use it with a lower bowl config of less than 40,000.
And 5 Canadian teams would never happen in the MLS. At that point we would have our own league. What is more a reality is 3 MLS teams and 3-5 USL level teams. If these teams draw anywhere around 7-10K, plus the 3 MLS teams, it would show that soccer is viable in this country to the rest of the world. Hosting the U19 Women's in 2002 and the U20 Mens in 2007 did more for increasing our chances of hosting a WC than a 4th MLS team or more teams in the USL.
Last thing, MLS teams in Canada don't need 40,000 seat stadiums in order for Canada to get the WC. USA MLS sure don't have them, but USA is one of the favorites for the 2022 WC host. Those stadiums would be filled from existing stadiums, plus CFL teams having those stadiums (new stadiums in Regina and Winnipeg) with minor expansion if need be. They would get used after the WC by the CFL teams.

Whoop
12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
The US has 80,000+ stadiums across the country that they can fill on a regular basis.

The CFL can't draw 40,000+ on a regular basis.

And you would need at least 3-4 60,000+ stadiums for the WC.

boban
12-18-2009, 06:04 PM
The US has 80,000+ stadiums across the country that they can fill on a regular basis.

The CFL can't draw 40,000+ on a regular basis.

And you would need at least 3-4 60,000+ stadiums for the WC.
Thanks. I did not know that. :rolleyes:

Seriously though. Their stadiums that 'fill on a regular basis' is like what 6-12 times a year? Not something insurmountable. And you don't need sell outs to pay for maintenance costs.

We already have three stadiums with 60,000 or more. Toronto's 80,000 seater would be the fourth.

Hitcho
12-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Boban, I like you're tenacity dude and it would be seriously kick ass for Canada to get the WC, but I still think it's as likely as being struck by lightning, and that goes for getting the necessary infrastructure in place as much as getting the event itself.

Still, pitch it to TO Council and the CSA. Miracles do happen, and it is Christmas afterall... ;)

Shakes McQueen
12-19-2009, 08:58 AM
What about other bands/concerts?

99% of the bands in the world don't draw enough fans to warrant playing an 80k seat stadium. And for those 99% of bands, we already have the Amphitheatre, Rogers Centre, ACC, and countless smaller venues already booking concert dates.

Real international track meets instead of the schmooze fest at Varsity last year? Also an opportunity would present itself to alternate hosting the Gold Cup with the US, which goes nothing to say of a new home for the Argos. There are lots of options.

But again, getting the odd Gold Cup game every few years is not enough to justify the immense cost to build a stadium. And how many "track meets" can be scheduled that would attract 80k people, aside from events like the Pan Am Games and Olympics that only happen once every few years?

That's an interesting analogy, because the reason I don't have said theatre, is because I a) can't afford it, and b) because it's wildly extraneous to my needs. Likewise, the City of Toronto is in no condition to be building an 80,000 seat velodrome that would likely be used 3-5 times a year at the most, and bleed money for maintenance/building costs the rest of the time.

"We can find something to use it for" isn't a coherent business plan.

I'd love to have an 80k seat stadium, just like I'd love to get the Olympics in Toronto, or a World Cup. But I also fully understand that building a stadium like that makes absolutely no sense for the city.

- Scott

Canary Canuck
12-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Let it snow!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/Saint52ndStreet/RBAcenterwSnow.jpg

SilverSamurai
12-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Let it snow!!!

Skydome? Why would the roof be open?

rocker
12-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Let it snow!!!

i wonder if undersoil heating could melt that. or if that's too much snow.

Canary Canuck
12-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Some new photos. Seat installation is making its way around the upper deck and the video screen is going in.

http://redbullsreader.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/greetings.jpg?w=450&h=196

http://redbullsreader.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/seats1.jpg?w=450&h=300

http://redbullsreader.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/scoreboard.jpg?w=450&h=380

C.Ronaldo
12-24-2009, 01:03 PM
just drove by.

its sadly in a narsty part of town

but it looked really pretty

rocker
12-24-2009, 01:36 PM
somebody wrote a nice message in the snow yesterday.... can't spell though ;)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/redbull.jpg

Dirk Diggler
12-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Skydome? Why would the roof be open?

Are you serious?

DavydMT
12-24-2009, 02:50 PM
just drove by.

its sadly in a narsty part of town

but it looked really pretty

according to few NY fans the location is perfect, very easy to get to by public transit and with a great link to Manhattan.

Brooker
12-24-2009, 03:43 PM
sigh.... the pics just keep getting better. this is like porn.

why do the New York Redbulls get the sexiest soccer stadium in North America? What an injustice.

would our stadium fit inside it?

rocker
12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
sigh.... the pics just keep getting better. this is like porn.

why do the New York Redbulls get the sexiest soccer stadium in North America? What an injustice.

would our stadium fit inside it?

they have suffered enough... this is what they get for never winning anything and having to suffer in Giants stadium with NFL lines for 14 years.

TFC fans were lucky to get an SSS from the beginning.

Roogsy
12-24-2009, 04:21 PM
they have suffered enough... this is what they get for never winning anything and having to suffer in Giants stadium with NFL lines for 14 years.

TFC fans were lucky to get an SSS from the beginning.

I have to agree.

We're not ones to be jealous. The worst thing we've had to endure is our team playing on plastic turf...and even then only for 3 seasons, it will be gone by our fourth (wow...I can't believe we're heading into our fourth season).

Other than that, we have had a soccer specific stadium from the start. Could we have endured a dozen seasons of football lines in an cavernous bowl?

Their team may be garbage...but fans that have endured that long are well deserving of a beautiful stadium like that.

And yet I am still jealous. :D

Brooker
12-24-2009, 06:47 PM
if you could describe the redbulls in one word, what would it be?

boban
12-24-2009, 07:47 PM
^^Awesome

James17930
12-24-2009, 09:43 PM
^I'm sure that was inadvertent ;)

And while the area might be a bit rundown now, this stadium is being seen as the key to a big revitalization project. So it should start looking nicer in the future.

James Oliphant
12-25-2009, 12:12 AM
somebody wrote a nice message in the snow yesterday.... can't spell though ;)

AX02GI2NT74

james
12-25-2009, 12:16 AM
I have to agree.

We're not ones to be jealous. The worst thing we've had to endure is our team playing on plastic turf...and even then only for 3 seasons, it will be gone by our fourth (wow...I can't believe we're heading into our fourth season).

Other than that, we have had a soccer specific stadium from the start. Could we have endured a dozen seasons of football lines in an cavernous bowl?

Their team may be garbage...but fans that have endured that long are well deserving of a beautiful stadium like that.

And yet I am still jealous. :D

ya i bet within 15 years our stadium at some point will go through some massive renovations, BMO will probably look nothin like it does today!

Keystone FC
12-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Let it snow!!!

Yeah Blatter, let's have the US move to a Fall-Spring sched.
:facepalm:

Shway
12-25-2009, 11:10 AM
we would winter break november - resume march
Superligaen

rocker
12-25-2009, 11:20 AM
that's too much time off for me. Three months? That's like the break between whole seasons, not in the middle of the season.

James Oliphant
12-25-2009, 11:58 AM
we would winter break november - resume march

We already do that.

2009 MLS Cup Final: 22 November, 2009
2010 MLS First Kick: 25 March, 2010

rocker
12-25-2009, 12:16 PM
yup, true. and at least that break is between seasons. a 3 month break mid season would suck in my opinion. Breaks that long are best between seasons.

plus, I love watching games in the summer.

boban
12-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah Blatter, let's have the US move to a Fall-Spring sched.
Like Europe doesn't have snow issues.

boban
12-25-2009, 09:25 PM
^I'm sure that was inadvertent ;)
Fixed my post to clear the air.

james
12-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Like Europe doesn't have snow issues.

and countries in europe who have winters like Northern US Cities and Canadian Cities play in the spring-Fall schedule.

Why did England have to make Soccer a winter sport (i think it was the first pro league and other countries followed), had they made it a summer sport the whole world could of played Spring to Fall. Instead 3/4 of the world play Aug-May while 1/4 have to play Mar-Nov cause it to dam cold. Or in rare ocasion Brazil plays Mar-Nov cause Jan and Feb are to dam Hot!!

boban
12-26-2009, 10:35 AM
and countries in europe who have winters like Northern US Cities and Canadian Cities play in the spring-Fall schedule.

Why did England have to make Soccer a winter sport (i think it was the first pro league and other countries followed), had they made it a summer sport the whole world could of played Spring to Fall. Instead 3/4 of the world play Aug-May while 1/4 have to play Mar-Nov cause it to dam cold. Or in rare ocasion Brazil plays Mar-Nov cause Jan and Feb are to dam Hot!!I hear what your are saying but the post of the pic of RBA with a snow covered field is not reason enough to argue against a FIFA compied schedule. If that's the case you will find pics of snow covered soccer field in England, Italy, Germany, etc, yet they run Aug-May.

Shway
12-26-2009, 01:05 PM
the way the weather has been going in toronto,
look outside

as of this year Toronto FC could support a August - November, resume March and May schedule

Get In There
12-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Why did England have to make Soccer a winter sport (i think it was the first pro league and other countries followed), had they made it a summer sport the whole world could of played Spring to Fall. Instead 3/4 of the world play Aug-May while 1/4 have to play Mar-Nov cause it to dam cold. Or in rare ocasion Brazil plays Mar-Nov cause Jan and Feb are to dam Hot!!

As an aside - Soccer is a winter sport in the UK because they play cricket in the summer as it was the more established sport. And I believe Scotland was the first 'professional' league - actually England resisted the use of "pay"/professional players for as long as they could.

Kaz
12-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Don't most of the Euro Leagues take a winter break in the 2 months they tend to get snow? And the rest of the Time Europe is usually fairly temperate compared to the Northern US and most of Canada.

Northern Norway is actually Warmer in the Winter then Chicago is most of the time. Tormsų IL which plays in Tormsų is north of the Arctic Circle, but the average low for the City is only about -6 in the coldest months. Most of Europe stays above zero throughout the year. Outside of Finland there isn't any European countries that really get cold like we get in parts of North America.

Macksam
12-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Playing a "FIFA complied" schedule over here would be super retarded. Nothing more needs to be said.

rocker
12-27-2009, 03:34 AM
summer soccer is better than winter soccer. leave it as is. fuck blatter

AL-MO
12-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Don't most of the Euro Leagues take a winter break in the 2 months they tend to get snow? And the rest of the Time Europe is usually fairly temperate compared to the Northern US and most of Canada.

Northern Norway is actually Warmer in the Winter then Chicago is most of the time. Tormsų IL which plays in Tormsų is north of the Arctic Circle, but the average low for the City is only about -6 in the coldest months. Most of Europe stays above zero throughout the year. Outside of Finland there isn't any European countries that really get cold like we get in parts of North America.

The Serb league is on break right now.

I talked to a Serb buddy and he said its because its cold and they are lazy :D

boban
12-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Germany is on a break too. Resume first week in Feb if I recall.
Still FIFA complied though.

Dirk Diggler
12-27-2009, 06:26 PM
To be honest, I think all options should be explored in regards to having a FIFA compliant schedule. However, a 4 month mid-season break (Dec to Mar) is indeed quite long.

canadian_bhoy
12-27-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about the summer MLS schedule.

How come Sepp Bladder isn't bitching and moaning about the scandanavian leagues that use the summer schedule?

Going up against snow/cold/NFL = bad.

Leave it as is.

Kaz
12-27-2009, 08:07 PM
And that is the point I think.
In Europe a 4-8 week break is still had, in many Countries, and those are countries that have a average low of +1 in the coldest month of the year.. sure you'll get a cold snap now and again, but really it's very mild to the consistent sub zero Temperatures of a places like say Montreal, Calgary or Regina.

james
12-28-2009, 12:24 AM
I hear what your are saying but the post of the pic of RBA with a snow covered field is not reason enough to argue against a FIFA compied schedule. If that's the case you will find pics of snow covered soccer field in England, Italy, Germany, etc, yet they run Aug-May.

Heres temperatures in January for some cities

Average daily Lows for month of January
Ottawa -15.7
Edmonton -16
Quebec City -17.6
Montreal -14.7
Toronto -10
Vancouver +0.5
Denver -9
Boston -6
Chicago -9
Salt Lake City -7
New York City -3
Detroit -9
Philadelphia -4

London +2
Manchester +1.3
Glasgow +1
Frankfurt -2
Munich -3
Rome +3.7
Turin -2
Stockholm -5 (play March to Nov)
Moscow -10.3 (play March to Nov)
Madrid +2.6
Barcelona +4.4
Lisbon +8
Athens +5.2
Amsterdam +0.5
Paris +3
Warsaw -6.1 (Poland Break from mid Dec to last weekend of Feb)
Copenhagen -2 (Break from Mid Dec-Mid Feb)

This is the reason countries like Italy, Germany and England can play through the winter while countries like Canada just cant play in Dec, Jan, Feb. Not to mention we get much more snow. It snows 1 inch in England and the whole country has a emrgency alert, and the snow then all melts away 2 days later. Unlike Cities here where snow can stick around for months before it all melts away. Theres a big difference.

james
12-28-2009, 02:03 AM
and just some interresting records i saw while i was checking weather out

Toronto Record Low in January-31.3 and with the windchill -44.7 (1982)
Toronto Record High in July +41 for 3 straight days (1932)
Edmonton Record Low -46.1 and with windchill -58.4 (2009)
Athens Record High +48 and Record Low only -6
Glasgow hottest day on Record High only +31
Madrid daily high in July +31.2 (every day average hotter then glasgow record)
London Record low only -10 (Toronto's daily average low in Jan -10)
Quebec City average snow fall in Feb is 25.2 inches (hate to have a big driveway)
Calgary snowed 2 centimers June 6th 2009. Not the first time that has happened.

Redcoe15
12-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Let's not forget also that, almost ten years ago, the very same Sepp Blather sugested that the European leagues should switch to playing in the summer months.

james
01-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Let's not forget also that, almost ten years ago, the very same Sepp Blather sugested that the European leagues should switch to playing in the summer months.

i wish they did!! Some places its just to dam cold to play through the winter. And then the whole world could play at the same time.

Canary Canuck
02-15-2010, 01:45 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/4357289758_75be22b47a_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2677/4356545345_569d28eb17_b.jpg

Smart move by Red Bull to give the media the best seats in the house right behind the benches. The best advertising is the free advertising you get from media attention. Catering to the media should help them get into the public psyche.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4356546073_de68bbe762_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4356545773_26b0f926c5_b.jpg

canadian_bhoy
02-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Here's a flickr set of the stadium. Good look at the lounges and private boxes. This stadium is (for MLS) unreal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47279604@N02/sets/72157623244104529/

SmokedPanda
02-15-2010, 02:28 PM
wow i am so jealous of their stadium, BMO should look like this or better

Auzzy
02-15-2010, 02:32 PM
As a teenager, I played in Germany through the winter for about 4 years on a club, and I hated it. (We had some kind of Christmas break, but it wasn't very long. I'm sure we played at least some games in January.) This was in Frankfurt, which doesn't even have the coldest temperatures of Germany. Combine that with the fact that many of the soccer fields are crap, especially in big cities, unless you're playing in the top division. Often they are clay fields. If you get a thaw & then a freeze on a field like that, it's literally like playing on very rough concrete. Of course, it didn't get that cold every winter, at least not for long (like it would here), but it was bad enough. I remember having problems getting enough players out for games like that, and we forfeited a few as a result.

My point: despite the weather being better, and despite the fact that soccer is the default sport, it doesn't work so great there either. Sepp should blather on about something else.

JonO
02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Jealous of the stadium, not so much the location.... I guess everything is a little give and take

RPLProducer
02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Here's a flickr set of the stadium. Good look at the lounges and private boxes. This stadium is (for MLS) unreal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47279604@N02/sets/72157623244104529/

boxes and lounge areas look awesome. at least red bull fans will have some nice options to chill out while their team is getting their butts handed to them on the pitch.

rocker
02-15-2010, 03:24 PM
yeah, they can sit in there and watch motorcycle racing, like in one of the computer renderings from last year!

Canary Canuck
02-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Here is the most detailed photo set of the guts of the stadium. It's got 4 locker rooms, a hot tub room, and a turfed indoor warm-up area. This thing is delicious!

http://redbulls.american-soccer-news.com/?p=884

Canary Canuck
02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Seats are almost all in

http://media.nj.com/jersey-journal/photo/-dea9fd3fff1b8cef_custom_665xauto.jpg

http://foxtracker.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/img00606-20100216-1540.jpg

Stryker
02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm disgustingly jealous of that stadium.
At 25,000 seats if we had where BMO Field is now we could pack it for every single game.
Can you imagine the atmosphere!?!

Daveisonfire
02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm disgustingly jealous of that stadium.
At 25,000 seats if we had where BMO Field is now we could pack it for every single game.
Can you imagine the atmosphere!?!

qft :(

flatpicker
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Seeing that stadium is like a punch in the gut!

Super
02-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Most definitely. Knowing we'll never have a proper stadium and will have to settle with a high school football stadium is certainly very difficult to take - especially because we'd pack the house and use the roof to create an atmosphere similar to that of top leagues in Europe.

But oh well, it's not to be.

JuliquE
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Fuck.

kodiakTFC
02-18-2010, 03:05 AM
You know whats funny, they haven't said a word about their ticket sales. Meaning? They have barely sold any season tickets. Any team in MLS with any relative ticket success posts their numbers regularly as to brag. New York has been completely silent and they are still selling tickets for opening day on their front page! I bet the Red Bulls average less than 15k this season.

**I hope I'm wrong.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Agreed... Still, I can't wait for us to go and take it over! :scarf::flare::drum:

Detroit_TFC
02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
You know whats funny, they haven't said a word about their ticket sales. Meaning? They have barely sold any season tickets. Any team in MLS with any relative ticket success posts their numbers regularly as to brag. New York has been completely silent and they are still selling tickets for opening day on their front page! I bet the Red Bulls average less than 15k this season.

**I hope I'm wrong.

It's probably going to take a little while to convince people to come back, seems like current RBNY FO is taking the right steps but that's what been said about each successive new regime there. I prefer that RBNY stay weak on the field, but due the way MLS is set up it's better that each team be successful business-wise because it affects us too.

flatpicker
02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Agreed... Still, I can't wait for us to go and take it over! :scarf::flare::drum:

I do look forward to going down there for a game.

Keystone FC
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
It's probably going to take a little while to convince people to come back, seems like current RBNY FO is taking the right steps but that's what been said about each successive new regime there. I prefer that RBNY stay weak on the field, but due the way MLS is set up it's better that each team be successful business-wise because it affects us too.

I think the Santos game will be the catalyst in showing people what they are missing. When they take them on the media will be all over the stadium (hopefully it's a night game). Once the images hit the internet and tv and people see what a nice place it is then I think they will come.

troy1982
02-18-2010, 05:36 PM

**I hope I'm wrong.

the tickets for opening day went on sale a few days ago and the educated guess on bigsoccer is around 5-7K season tickets sold at this point.

canadian_bhoy
02-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Just as a sidenote - is shaq floating in this vid?

hf1D40jLdyo&feature=related

ecospice
02-18-2010, 06:06 PM

I go for the the company of all of you, the cheap beer, the cheap hot dogs and the eye candy, in that order.

[note: only 2 of 4 of those are true]

:scarf::drinking:

rocker
02-18-2010, 06:36 PM
guys, in 10-15 years TFC will renovate BMO and we'll have an even better stadium than Red Bull.

patience. NYRB fans sure had it....

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-18-2010, 06:39 PM
guys, in 10-15 years TFC will renovate BMO and we'll have an even better stadium than Red Bull.

haha

flatpicker
02-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I go for the the company of all of you, the cheap beer, the cheap hot dogs and the eye candy, in that order.

[note: only 2 of 4 of those are true]

:scarf::drinking:

You forgot to mention soccer.
But yeah, I nice arena ain't nothing without good company.

That's optimism.
I'm not sure I see it happening though...

gtaguy
02-18-2010, 07:39 PM

:picard: I was hoping earlier.. Like 5 sounds good to me :D

Blizzard
02-18-2010, 07:41 PM

It wouldn't be a reno, it would have to be a complete rebuild to be anything close to what Red Bull Arena is going to be.

gtaguy
02-18-2010, 07:45 PM
It wouldn't be a reno, it would have to be a complete rebuild to be anything close to what Red Bull Arena is going to be.

now were fucked... That won't happen .. Well go back to the 10 to 15 years idea

rocker
02-18-2010, 08:31 PM

why does it have to be a complete rebuild? second decks and a roof don't involve complete rebuilding.

RB arena is actually a really simply designed building. It looks great from the inside.. but essentially it's a basic metal shell with no outer walls on three sides.. Metal floors for the whole upper deck. The canvas that comes down from the roof makes it look a lot more solid than it is. They also have a iron fence around the outside like at BMO because there's no walls.

I would hope they don't make BMO look like Red Bull arena though. No need for that. Just add some more seats for those without, and toss on a roof and you're set. Not sure what else a fan would need, to be honest.

rocker
02-18-2010, 08:39 PM
:picard: I was hoping earlier.. Like 5 sounds good to me :D

haha. you're so greedy... 5 seasons and you want RB arena!

We got grass in 3 seasons... I think that's a pretty big accomplishment.

I figure 10-15 years cuz that's when MLS will explode into a major NA sport, revenues will increase, and TFC will wanna get in more fans. And by then the investment will be much less risky.

gtaguy
02-19-2010, 09:40 AM
haha. you're so greedy... 5 seasons and you want RB arena!

We got grass in 3 seasons... I think that's a pretty big accomplishment.

I figure 10-15 years cuz that's when MLS will explode into a major NA sport, revenues will increase, and TFC will wanna get in more fans. And by then the investment will be much less risky.

I guess you could pin it to just "wishful thinking" . My reason for saying this is becuase if i'm correct MLSE had to wait 5 years before they could do any major renos to the building (if my facts are correct this was part of the contract with with the government and city for building this stadium. N e ways I figure that if over the next few years we can make it to a championship final, Montreal enters the league and all those hard core European footy supporters that still snub the mls and its style of soccer come around that the season seat ticket demand will double and quite possibly give ML$E the reason to expand the stadium .. again its just wishful thinking.

rocker
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
I guess you could pin it to just "wishful thinking" . My reason for saying this is becuase if i'm correct MLSE had to wait 5 years before they could do any major renos to the building (if my facts are correct this was part of the contract with with the government and city for building this stadium. N e ways I figure that if over the next few years we can make it to a championship final, Montreal enters the league and all those hard core European footy supporters that still snub the mls and its style of soccer come around that the season seat ticket demand will double and quite possibly give ML$E the reason to expand the stadium .. again its just wishful thinking.

MLSE didn't have to wait 5 years to change the stadium. They already have (north end stand + grass). They just have to propose it to the Ex board and the city must approve. I believe the lease on the stadium is 20 years... so I'm sure as we near the end of that lease in 16 years something's gonna happen.

I can't think of any pro sports team that drastically changed their stadium after 5 years of play though. But I can think of many teams that expanded stadiums over 10-20-30 years. So many English stadiums were built up gradually stand by stand. I could see MLSE taking that route once the economic justification is there. Right now there's no economic justification for adding 20000 seats or a roof. That's why it's "wishful thinking". ;)

drewski
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm jealuous of RBP for sure, but it hurts less knowing that BMO and fans inside helped make stadiums like this possible

Detroit_TFC
02-19-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm jealuous of RBP for sure, but it hurts less knowing that BMO and fans inside helped make stadiums like this possible

+1 QFT

Gazza_55
02-19-2010, 02:08 PM

**I hope I'm wrong.

In a stadium where Red Bull NY controls all the revenue 15k is equivalent to 45k average attendance at Giants Stadium. Maybe more.

Canary Canuck
02-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Ticket reps are quoting fans a season ticket count of 6,300 which is good in comparison to a lot of other teams in MLS. That number will hopefully get closer 9 or 10 thousand by opening day.

With respect to profitability, I'm certain you will see New York in a profitable position based on non red bull games alone. One of the reasons they didn't need to bother with a stage is the fact there is huge money to be made hosting international and club friendlies. In multicultural New York, there's a limitless amount of countries and clubs that have enough followers to fill this place and fill the New York coffers. They've already announced they're hosting a pre-season club tournament in July and hosting Turkey/Czechs on may 22nd. There will be a ton more to follow.

Roogsy
02-23-2010, 01:06 AM
More pics of NYRB's beautiful stadium.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/02/18/inside-look-at-red-bull-arena/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

So frikkin' jealous.

James17930
02-23-2010, 02:34 AM
More pics of NYRB's beautiful stadium.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/02/18/inside-look-at-red-bull-arena/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

So frikkin' jealous.

That article says the field dimensions are 120 x 70 yards.

That can't be right, can it?

Redcoe15
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
The more pictures of that new stadium I see, the more jealous I get.

deltox
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM
a field can be as long as 130 yards

mastermixer
02-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I know we have a good thing going here, but man does our stadium look no-frills compared to Red Bull.

deltox
02-23-2010, 11:19 AM
FIFA says the field can be between 100 and 130 yards long and between 50 and 100 yards wide

the rule is slightly tighter for INTL matches but RBA still fits.

Shaughno
02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think the exterior facade looks bland and boring. The inside, the concourse and everything else is fucking mint though.

flatpicker
02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think the exterior facade looks bland and boring. The inside, the concourse and everything else is fucking mint though.

It's what's inside that counts!

Hitcho
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
This looks like a great stadium for sure, but I can honestly say that I am not jealous.

We're building a dynasty at TFC. This is the early days. In years to come we'll all look back and say with great pride and fond memories "Remember the old BMO Field and all the good times we had there?". If MLS continues to grow in NA, then at some point TFC's home will evolve into a bigger, better stadium. I'm not sure how or where right now, no-one is, because this must still be a good decade or so away. But MLSE is not going to sit on an untapped reservoir of TFC cash grabs and leave us in a 20k stadium when there's serious money to be made at a 30k + venue.

Besides which, as great as it is that the New Joisey Pink Cows are breaking some good ground here, I really think it;s too early for MLS to be populated with stadia like that. That place will have empty swathes in it for a lot of games for a while to come. The league just cannot support the kind of regular attendance numbers you'd want and need to see arenas like that popping up everywhere. I'm not even sure that TFC could fill out a 30k stadium EVERY SINGLE WEEK and not have it look like the FO had fudged the "attendance" numbers.

The time will come for more of these arenas, but it's not now. For now, BMO is our home and it's a mighty good one for its purpose. It is filled up every week and we make a lot of noise there and have already garnered some legendary memories. I'm not ready to throw that away yet. Your first car should not be a Lexus. You get a functional banger that does the job you need it to at the time. Then when the time is right and you've worked and waited for it, you get the lux model. But for now, I'm very happy with BMO Field. Let's enjoy the grass and the sun and build some more memories to look back on - anyone remember the first play off game at BMO Field?! :D

dag
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
From yesterday's New York Times:

February 22, 2010, 12:52 pm
RBNY to Use RFID at the Turnstiles

By JACK BELL (http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/author/jack-bell/)Thousands of soccer fans passing through the turnstiles at Red Bull Arena (http://redbullarena.us/) will never hear these words: “Tickets, please.”

That is because the Red Bulls of Major League Soccer (http://www.mlsnet.com/) will use a paperless ticketing/admission/concession system when it opens its new stadium next month, in Harrison, N.J.

The system is sold by Fortress GB (http://www.fortressgb.com/agallery%20presentation/c10716.php), a company based in London that has sold similar systems to teams like Arsenal and Manchester City, and is used in stadiums like Wembley in London and the Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein, South Africa, which will be used for this summer’s World Cup. The Red Bulls will be the first professional sports team in the United States to use it, said Erik Stover, the team’s managing director.

Red Bulls season-ticket holders, of which the club said there are now more than 6,500, will be issued smart cards (using RFID or radio-frequency identification) that will activate turnstiles at the team’s new stadium. In addition, season-ticket holders will be able to load the cards with money (at the Red Bulls’ Web site), which will expedite purchases at stadium concession stands. Season-ticket holders can assign their tickets to third parties, who will receive an e-mail message and then be able to print out the tickets.

“From the Red Bulls’ point of view, this is the future of sport in North America,” Stover said. “In 5 to 10 years very few teams won’t be using this system. If you look at it from the customer’s point of view, there’s a lot of convenience — they can enter the facility faster, it speeds up lines and makes it easy to transfer tickets, and it’s all done online. It’s very convenient and powerful.”

In an article on sportsbusinessdaily.com (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/136255), Chris Tsakalakis, the president of StubHub, a ticket reseller, said that people often discussed the virtues of paperless ticketing but not the drawbacks: the erosion of fan rights and the elimination of resale competition.

But the Red Bulls’ plans should not be confused with paperless ticketing at concerts and airline counters that involve showing a credit card; a Red Bulls ticket representative said season-ticket holders would still be able to print tickets and sell them through third-party resellers.

The team’s goal is to one day be ticketless, but that would, of course, require a building full of season-ticket holders. That, however, is the situation in London where Arsenal (http://www.arsenal.com/home) uses the Fortress GB system at its new Emirates Stadium. With most of the 60,000-plus fans who attend home games season-ticket holders, the Gunners offer other fans the opportunity to join a club (which now numbers more than 200,000) and receive a smart card for purchases in the stadium. In addition, the club membership provides the club a means to communicate with those fans, offering them tickets to non-Premier League matches, like the F.A. Cup and the Carling Cup.

“Most pro teams know who season-ticket holders are and who’s on their waiting list, but that’s it,” Stover said. “Season-ticket holders pass off tickets at a pretty high rate, even in the N.F.L. So the teams don’t know anything about those people. This system allows us to communicate with those people directly.”

The club also plans to offer the users of the smart card various premiums, like discounts at the concession stands that can be sent to fans via text messages and exclusive autograph sessions with Red Bulls player.

“I think the most important thing is that this system allows us to communicate more effectively with the consumer, learn what they prefer so we can adapt — it’s almost a subconscious level of communication,” Stover said.

Stover said the club would send its season-ticket holders their packages over the next two weeks. It will include a CD with instructions for getting started. The Red Bulls will test the Fortress system at the stadium’s soft opening on March 13 when the club’s under-18 academy team plays the United States under-17 national team at the 25,000-seat stadium. The club will host Santos of Brazil on March 20, then is scheduled to play the first M.L.S. match in the building, against the Chicago Fire, on March 27.

Stryker
02-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Chris Tsakalakis, the president of StubHub, a ticket reseller, said that people often discussed the virtues of paperless ticketing but not the drawbacks: the erosion of fan rights and the elimination of resale competition

Wouldn't that be a cryin shame.

James17930
02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
FIFA says the field can be between 100 and 130 yards long and between 50 and 100 yards wide

the rule is slightly tighter for INTL matches but RBA still fits.

I know, but I've never heard of a stadium making a longer field than usual (120 instead of the standard 115) and then also making it narrower (70 instead of the usual 75).

Is this thing still going to resemble an NFL field? I mean, what could they're reasons be for making it that narrow?

Canary Canuck
02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I know, but I've never heard of a stadium making a longer field than usual (120 instead of the standard 115) and then also making it narrower (70 instead of the usual 75).

Is this thing still going to resemble an NFL field? I mean, what could they're reasons be for making it that narrow?

According to Red Bull management, the pitch will be 225 feet by 360 feet (75 yards by 120 yards) so it will have the full width but a bit of extra length. I suspect they made it a tad longer to accomodate rugby. They're hosting a bunch of Churchill Cup games this year.

http://redbullsreader.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/you-asked-the-questions-erik-stover-provides-the-answers/

SQUIRREL
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I flew over Red Bull Park and it looks good from up above. It looks like a really nice stadium. I can already picture a sea of red cheering for TFC there.

flatpicker
02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
^ Are you a flying squirrel???

JuliquE
02-24-2010, 12:22 AM
We should make the powers that be salivate over the possibilities of us having something like this, all our own, by absolutely taking over the stadium whenever TFC visits -- every single time.

Might just be the difference of a year or two shaved off from however long it would normally take for us to be so fortunate.. maybe more. :)

Tschuess.

James17930
02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
According to Red Bull management, the pitch will be 225 feet by 360 feet (75 yards by 120 yards) so it will have the full width but a bit of extra length. I suspect they made it a tad longer to accomodate rugby. They're hosting a bunch of Churchill Cup games this year.

http://redbullsreader.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/you-asked-the-questions-erik-stover-provides-the-answers/

Good -- so then the blog post was wrong -- it should be 75 not 70. That's what I was wondering.

And good on them for hosting the Churchill Cup.

Canary Canuck
03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Pitch problems at RBA.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lNlspuVsRr8/S43Q4HC45HI/AAAAAAAAAGU/HuK-Z0Fd0J4/s1600/arenar.jpg

Apparently the south end of the pitch (the part that was shaded out by the roof) didn't take root last fall and is now totally dead. They have to re-sod a good portion of the pitch before the soft opening on the 13th.

James17930
03-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Surprised they don't have those mobile lighting rigs.

rocker
03-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Pitch problems at RBA.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lNlspuVsRr8/S43Q4HC45HI/AAAAAAAAAGU/HuK-Z0Fd0J4/s1600/arenar.jpg

Apparently the south end of the pitch (the part that was shaded out by the roof) didn't take root last fall and is now totally dead. They have to re-sod a good portion of the pitch before the soft opening on the 13th.

I wondered about that... I saw a pic from Paul Beirne (was it that one above?) that had half a dead field... and I wondered what I was seeing.

I wonder if that roof will cause problems with getting enough sun to certain parts of the field during the season.

boban
03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
I wondered about that... I saw a pic from Paul Beirne (was it that one above?) that had half a dead field... and I wondered what I was seeing.

I wonder if that roof will cause problems with getting enough sun to certain parts of the field during the season.
No it won't.
No probs in Klagenfurt.

Canary Canuck
03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
The main problem was the fact the pitch was laid so late in the year that the angle of the sun was too shallow to get to the southern third of the pitch. The grass situation should improve as the summer draws closer and the sun gets higher in the sky.

deltox
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
hows our pitch? is it being installed yet?

i know there stuff happening at BMO ..... i just wanna see it progressing

Carts
03-04-2010, 03:03 PM
The main problem was the fact the pitch was laid so late in the year that the angle of the sun was too shallow to get to the southern third of the pitch. The grass situation should improve as the summer draws closer and the sun gets higher in the sky.

Also, the roof was also snow covered for days at a time (everytime the NY area got a dusting) which shaded out the sun...

In the summer - they won't have that problem w/no snow - and as you say the angel of the sun...

Carts...

rocker
03-04-2010, 03:32 PM
hows our pitch? is it being installed yet?

i know there stuff happening at BMO ..... i just wanna see it progressing

my dad drove down there the other day (what a fan... just drives down to look and walk around the ground!. He said there's just dirt on the field ("looks like a farmers field" he says, with no snow). He said they put up some metal (I guess part of the floor for the stand? not sure what he meant) that extends up to the scoreboard. He seemed amazed at how big that north stand really is gonna be.

Parkdale was gonna go take some shots but hasn't.. lazy bum! ;)

GabrielHurl
03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
http://twitpic.com/16ku9d

canadian_bhoy
03-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Gotta be proud how far MLS has come for this stadium to be built. Crew stadium was the first and it's worse than a hole when compared to this real stadium.

Alixir
03-04-2010, 06:47 PM
! But BMO is still cool!!

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7097843
BMO is one of the wankiest looking SS stadiums I have ever saw. These teams like New York, Philly... obviously hired an architect that did thier research on how a SS Stadium should look. The guy that designed BMO had no clue to be honest...look at our away section for christs sake!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-04-2010, 07:05 PM
BMO is one of the wankiest looking SS stadiums I have ever saw. These teams like New York, Philly... obviously hired an architect that did thier research on how a SS Stadium should look. The guy that designed BMO had no clue to be honest...look at our away section for christs sake!

You get what you pay for.......we went to an architect and said whats the cheapest design you have in your book..... 60mill..would you like to take a look at the plans??

Naw......im sure it'll be a beaut!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-04-2010, 07:11 PM
http://twitpic.com/16ku9d

I can only dream of the atmosphere TFC supporters could generate in such a stadium!

rocker
03-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Philly's is nothing unique. It's a ripoff of Chicago's. And it seats less than BMO... only a lower bowl too. I think BMO's west stand looks better, more imposing with two levels.

kodiakTFC
03-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Philly's is nothing unique. It's a ripoff of Chicago's. And it seats less than BMO... only a lower bowl too. I think BMO's west stand looks better, more imposing with two levels.

Your right. PPL Field does have a nice view and its obviously capable of expansion so we'll see what happens over the next five years. I am sure if they sell-out the first two years with enough of a demand they would expand little by little. TFC is doing the same thing, our capacity is going up 1250 and hopefully we can use the pan-am games for another 8000.

**8000 may seem like a lot but consider how much soccer will grow in Canada once Van and Mtl have teams. TV coverage will spike and the people will come out in droves.

troy1982
03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Latest pic, seat all in and new sod is laid.
http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/images/2010/03/08/PtUep52C.jpg

nobodybeatsthewiz
03-09-2010, 12:03 PM
^ sooooooooooooo jealous!

Whoop
03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
That does look sweet.

Almost have to do a double take when you realize it's located in New Jersey.

flatpicker
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I really need to fight the urges to be torn apart from jealousy!

Carts
03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Latest pic, seat all in and new sod is laid.
http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/images/2010/03/08/PtUep52C.jpg

Simply put, World Class...

Carts...

boban
03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Here's a little piece on the building ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-redbullarena&prov=ap&type=lgns

Canary Canuck
03-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Best video yet! sexy stuff

http://theoffsiderules.blogspot.com/2010/03/video-final-bit-of-pre-opening-rba.html

David_Oliveira
03-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I see there grass has teken nicely. Is our grass going to take with such a short time left to the season?

DavydMT
03-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Best video yet! sexy stuff

http://theoffsiderules.blogspot.com/2010/03/video-final-bit-of-pre-opening-rba.html

:yum::yum::yum:

tfcmanu
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
The soft opening of the new Red Bulls Arena has been postponed.

The New York Red Bulls announced Saturday that heavy rain and high wind caused it to postpone a game between its Under-18 Academy team and the United States Under-17 Men's National Team...Cont'd

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/sports/article/476822--soft-opening-of-new-red-bulls-arena-postponed-by-inclement-weather

troy1982
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Video from first practice:

http://vimeo.com/10207459

also many more video's here from media day

http://photos.firstrowphotos.com/2010/MediaDay/11531346_6EgmP#811928090_rSLnD

boban
03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
I bet that cake replica of the stadium was built by Buddy from Carlo's bakery from the TLC show Cake Boss.

canadian_bhoy
03-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Video from first practice:

http://vimeo.com/10207459

also many more video's here from media day

You can see the stands have similar steel elements like BMO, it's not like it's a billion dollar marvel, but it really goes to show what some style and a roof can do to make a place look legit.

It's unbeliveable how much better that place is than ANYTHING else in MLS.

Canary Canuck
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Check out picture 33. Each member of press row gets their own computer with massive flat screen. Don't even need to bring your own laptop lol

icecoldbeer
03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
I bet that cake replica of the stadium was built by Buddy from Carlo's bakery from the TLC show Cake Boss.

It was, hes on page 5 of pictures