PDA

View Full Version : No Champs League next year?

Azzurri86
10-29-2009, 01:26 AM
So with the recent news that the Whitecaps and Impact will not be part of the USL next season where does that leave Canada in terms of a CONCACAF Champions League entrant. Will we still get one with only one team if the 2 others dont play anywhere? Does anyone have any idea on this matter?

T_Mizz
10-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Is this confirmed? I can see it for Vancouver but tht seemsa bit premature for Montreal, the whole counting chickens before they hatch, putting all their eggs in one basket, etc. I mean they're not confirmed into the MLS are they?

Azzurri86
10-29-2009, 01:51 AM
http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=296379

Seems confirmed according to the USL

Roogsy
10-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Dumbass move by the "new" USL or whatever they will be called. With the weak US dollar, having both Canadian teams out will take a serious bite out of revenues.

sulfur
10-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Give it some time. There's a full discussion going on about it and the possible ramifications here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18228

Mikey
10-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Hey if we're the only team in it, we could get a draw and maybe go though on tie-breaker? Assuming we don't still have Garcia and lose 1-0 on an own goal......

Oh crap, I hope I havent jinxed it.

drewski
10-29-2009, 07:14 AM
lots can happen between now and next spring, last min agreement with USL, a new league, etc.

if they do fold, maybe a game vs CSL all-stars, canadian USL all-stars? or maybe a game v the CMNT..oh wait, that would end up being an intra-squad game for the most part...and we'd probably lose haha

ForestGlade
10-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Maybe Montreal and Vancouver get to stay in the tournament as independents?

Vhoghul
10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Us vs. the CSL teams would be epic...

10:1 we lose to Croatia..

Billy the kid
10-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Toronto should still be crowned champion and there should still be a party. Even if they are Canadian champions by default.

kitchener-TFC
10-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Wait, why exacly is Vancouver and Montreal not in the USL next season?

Detroit_TFC
10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Wait, why exacly is Vancouver and Montreal not in the USL next season?

A faction of USL-1 team owners (the "Team Owners Association") put in a losing bid to buy the league because Umbro/Nike didn't want to own USL anymore. The winning bidder comes from outside USL, so people are siding up and apparently Van and Mtl are going with the TOA.

The TOA has a point in saying that in every other professional league the league is run by the team owners. Having said that, their bid lost. I'm not sure why they think things are different now than when they all bought franchises in the league.

sulfur
10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Read this thread:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18228

That's where all of the information can be found.

Yeoman
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
there's always the PDL/CSA teams *shrug*

ForestGlade
10-29-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't understand why Montreal and Vancouver would be out of the Champions League due to this. I thought this was a by-invitation tournament organized by the CSA (which is why no CSL teams are invited) to have a champion represent them because there is no true national league. I don't recall saying it's a tournament for Canadian MLS/USL teams only, otherwise FC London would have a say in playing (just like the American PDL teams playing in the US Open Cup)

I don't think inviting CSL teams is an option right now with Toronto and Montreal both having their reserves in the league, possibly creating a conflict of interest. If the CSL champs (Trois-Rivieres) were invited in to represent as champs of the CSL, would the Impact not tell them to lay down for them to get 6 guaranteed points?

james
10-29-2009, 11:41 PM
interresting to see what Vancouver and Montreal are gonna do next season then. Vancouver could wait out a year since they are joining MLS in 2011. Just means they would pretty much have to join the league as a expansion team which im sure Vancouver would rather not do. Its much harder to join hte league as an expansion team. Its more worrysome for Montreal tho, they are not guaranteed to join MLS.

Cashcleaner
10-29-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't understand why Montreal and Vancouver would be out of the Champions League due to this. I thought this was a by-invitation tournament organized by the CSA (which is why no CSL teams are invited) to have a champion represent them because there is no true national league. I don't recall saying it's a tournament for Canadian MLS/USL teams only, otherwise FC London would have a say in playing (just like the American PDL teams playing in the US Open Cup)

I don't think inviting CSL teams is an option right now with Toronto and Montreal both having their reserves in the league, possibly creating a conflict of interest. If the CSL champs (Trois-Rivieres) were invited in to represent as champs of the CSL, would the Impact not tell them to lay down for them to get 6 guaranteed points?

I think that's exactly right. What league the teams are playing in is irrelevant as far as I know. The competition was agreed upon to consist of Toronto FC, The Montreal Impact, and Vancouver Whitecaps. The Impact could be playing in a semi-pro or amateur league for all it matters with the NCC. For now, at least.

drewski
10-30-2009, 07:36 AM
the reason I'm assuming they'd be out is that, as of right now, there's nowhere for them to go. Chances are they won't be in MLS, officially there's no MLS2 and CSL teams don't play in the tourney.

If they aren't in a league, it doesn't make much business sense (to me at least) to keep the team together just to play in this tourney. Not too mention, I'm sure most players wouldn't wanna have to stick around for only a few games.

boban
10-30-2009, 07:44 AM
interresting to see what Vancouver and Montreal are gonna do next season then. Vancouver could wait out a year since they are joining MLS in 2011. Just means they would pretty much have to join the league as a expansion team which im sure Vancouver would rather not do. Its much harder to join hte league as an expansion team. Its more worrysome for Montreal tho, they are not guaranteed to join MLS.
What else is Vancouver but an expansion team for for MLS in 2011.
Seattle was the same thing, as was Toronto.
And how is it harder? Do you not recall Chicago Fire in their 1st MLS season?

Billy the kid
10-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I beleive to be in a CONCACAF tourney, they do have to be in a FIFA recognized league like the MLS or the USL. So it probably is very relevant whether or not they remain in the USL. I'm not sure if FIFA would sanction a third breakaway league in North America. Mabe someone else knows if there is a precedent for that.

jaahuuu
10-30-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm sure there would be some kind of regulations in place for that. This situation happens in other countries. Both Werder Bremen and their reserve team (Werder Bremen II) qualified for the DFB-Cup a couple years ago, but they never played each other. Both teams lost in the 3rd round.

ForestGlade
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm sure there would be some kind of regulations in place for that. This situation happens in other countries. Both Werder Bremen and their reserve team (Werder Bremen II) qualified for the DFB-Cup a couple years ago, but they never played each other. Both teams lost in the 3rd round.

I don't think any regulations could be enforced at all no matter what. Let's go hypothetical and say Montreal has 8 points and Trois-Rivieres has 7, and they just happen to meet on the final day of the season. What possible regulation could you put in place to say that the Attak can't "do the job"? The Impact are supposed to be better than their reserves