PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Oct.28.

denime
10-28-2009, 05:40 AM
Mornin'

TFC coach on a plane home (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/tfc-coach-on-a-plane-home/article1341271/)

Wanted: Experienced MLS coach (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/717083--wanted-experienced-mls-coach)

Something rotten in state of Toronto FC (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/27/sp-mls-torontofc-cummins.html)

Cummins Leaves With Head Held High (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091027&content_id=7559162&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC harmony (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/10/27/johnston_tfc_harmony/)

Cummins out after Toronto FC letdown (http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/story.html?id=2153118)

Union issues threaten MLS (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/10/28/11549826-sun.html)

Cummins complains of 'backstabbing' and 'bad apples' in Toronto FC dressing room (http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/sports/article/351698--cummins-complains-of-backstabbing-and-bad-apples-in-toronto-fc-dressing-room)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

drek
10-28-2009, 06:06 AM
"I just said to them there, 'Listen lads, I do wish 95 per cent of you all the very best and I hope you go on and do well, and you know who you are. The other five per cent of you, I couldn't care if I don't see you again to be honest with you,"' he said.

Wow. (CC quote)

Mornin D

MG42
10-28-2009, 06:39 AM
check out the comment by franknnell on Molinaro's piece!

John: As I've stated in comments on Jason De Vos' columns, you guys at CBC have to decide if you're publicists or journalists.

MLS is a sports property in Canada of your network. Do you want us to view you as a perpetual toe nibblers or someone with a credible voice?

If you knew these stories existed prior to the end of the season and didn't report them then - naming which players are the source of internal dissent - then you've done us all a disservice, most of all yourself.

You have a passionate, engaged audience in this country for soccer, a sport that is rapidly moving to become our second biggest sport.

If you sat on a hockey story of this nature and didn't reveal it the minute you learned it, you editor would haul you off that beat in an instant. Hockey coverage is so competitive you couldn't afford to bury a story like this until the end of a season. The rifts would have been exposed much earlier, and the chips would fall where they may.

I follow TFC and when you say things like "... media speculation has run rampant the past few months..." about a divided locker room, that suggests you and fellow reporters have known about problems but have failed to properly inform us fans. I hadn't read any stories up to now that have properly addressed this issue or named players to blame for the problems.

Write these stories when you get them, not as some wishy-washy, speculative, hint-hint, post-season backhander.

Otherwise, just stick to writing cozy, cuddly travelogues from Europe and leave the hard jobs to those with the skill and the stomach to handle them.

rocker
10-28-2009, 06:57 AM
sunshine is great!!!

koryo
10-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Why is Serioux a free agent?

Why isn't Garcia a free agent?

Just asking, not accusing.

rocker
10-28-2009, 07:39 AM
how is it possible Serioux is a free agent anyways?
players in MLS are never free agents. Full Free Agency after the contract ends does not exist in MLS, and is something players would love to see in the next CBA. Now, if their contracts are up, they can sign with a foreign team.
But MLS teams always retain a player's rights for a few years after his contract is up.
So Serioux might be out of contract but I don't think he's a free agent.

koryo
10-28-2009, 07:42 AM
how is it possible Serioux is a free agent anyways?
players in MLS are never free agents. Full Free Agency after the contract ends does not exist in MLS, and is something players would love to see in the next CBA. Now, if their contracts are up, they can sign with a foreign team.
But MLS teams always retain a player's rights for a few years after his contract is up.
So Serioux might be out of contract but I don't think he's a free agent.

okay, wrong use of phrase. The point of the matter is that he's a) out of contract and b) left unprotected for the expansion draft whereas Garcia isn't.

Make sense to you?

rocker
10-28-2009, 07:42 AM
i was just reading one of the Cummins articles.. it says he's a father of 5 kids??? wow.
Then elsewhere it says he has a 20 year old son. Dude's only 38 years old. That's quite a level of production.

Lucky Strike
10-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Wow. (CC quote)

Mornin D

Yeah, I was going to make a point of raising it after I read, but I've seen you've done so already. 5% amounts to about 2 players on the roster.

I'm very concerned that the TFC manager's post is no longer attractive or "the place to be in MLS". That could hurt us in the present and eventually in the long run, if TFC gets stuck with this reputation of dissent and troubles, etc...

rocker
10-28-2009, 07:45 AM
okay, wrong use of phrase. The point of the matter is that he's a) out of contract and b) left unprotected for the expansion draft whereas Garcia isn't.

Make sense to you?

Contract status doesn't matter for the draft since contracts go til the end of the year.... Serioux is still technically under contract. The draft occurs before the contracts end. At least that's how I understand it.

So MoJo can project Serioux and expose Garcia if he wants.
Any player, even Garcia, can be exposed on the draft.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Backstabbing and bad apples... Well, as manager, isn't it CC's job to do something about that? It seems like, in the Steve McClaren mould, he let egos run wild and lost the dressing room.

"I just said to them there, 'Listen lads, I do wish 95 per cent of you all the very best and I hope you go on and do well, and you know who you are. The other five per cent of you, I couldn't care if I don't see you again to be honest with you,"' he said.

I mean, those aren't the words of a confident, in-control coach. Best wishes to CC in future endeavours, and I hope our next boss isn't hired to be someone's bitch...

FluSH
10-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Wow. (CC quote)

Mornin D

HAHHAHA

I have to say I will miss that about Cummins... he was a funny guy. It's too bad because although not a good coach... he was probably a much better assistant coach.

Anyhow...

To: Cummins

Wish you the best in your future endeavours... don't take anything I've said personally... it's the nature of the beast as coach... anyhow... hopefully you've learned a few things as interim coach here in Toronto even if it's just on how to handle the media and footy supporters.

adios

-FluSH

koryo
10-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Contract status doesn't matter for the draft since contracts go til the end of the year.... Serioux is still technically under contract. The draft occurs before the contracts end. At least that's how I understand it.

So MoJo can project Serioux and expose Garcia if he wants.
Any player, even Garcia, can be exposed on the draft.

Thanks for the clarification. I heard different. Must be sobriety...doing strange things to my brain.

Beach_Red
10-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Backstabbing and bad apples... Well, as manager, isn't it CC's job to do something about that? It seems like, in the Steve McClaren mould, he let egos run wild and lost the dressing room.

I mean, those aren't the words of a confident, in-control coach. Best wishes to CC in future endeavours, and I hope our next boss isn't hired to be someone's bitch...

In fairness to the guy he was the "interim coach." Maybe that doesn't make much difference day-to-day, but when the dressing room is falling apart already it probably does.

This team really can't seem to catch a break. They could use some luck once in a while.

drewski
10-28-2009, 08:17 AM
hmm, I'm tempted to believe CC over MJ, which just further's my belief MJ's gotta go

Ossington Mental Youth
10-28-2009, 08:19 AM

to a certain extent i kinda agree with him, although i like Molinaro and his articles i kinda feel like it was a regurgitation of a billion things we've already heard on the same hand it also means that if he throws shit out there hes gonna cut what few connections he has

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-28-2009, 08:22 AM
In fairness to the guy he was the "interim coach." Maybe that doesn't make much difference day-to-day, but when the dressing room is falling apart already it probably does.

This team really can't seem to catch a break. They could use some luck once in a while.
Both are points, but as they say, luck favours the brave, and that's an adjective that can't be used to describe TFC this season. A team with a backbone would be nice.

I agree, though, that the dressing room problems aren't down to CC, but I'd have hoped that he'd have been able to rein them in.

johnmolinaro
10-28-2009, 08:37 AM

unfortunately, a lot of times, such as in this case, it comes down to being told stuff off the record by sources, which means it's material you can't publish.

I understand it's frustrating for you guys (it's even more frustrating for me), but that's the way it is. If I were to publish a story using material that was told to me off the record, my professional reputation (don't laugh!) would take a hit and so would any credibility I had.

So it's not a case of me or any other reporter who covers the team "sitting on the story". It's a matter of needing someone credible to go on the record about this.

Rest assured that there are people in the media that are still pursuing this.

John

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
^ Yep, you're right about that. This may seem kind of random, but I was reading the excellent book All the President's Men by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein about their coverage of the Watergate trial for the Washington Post, and when someone speaks off the record... you can't publish it if you want anyone to ever tell you anything again. With such a sensitive topic as dressing room trouble it's not surprising people are reluctant to speak about it.

Beach_Red
10-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Both are points, but as they say, luck favours the brave, and that's an adjective that can't be used to describe TFC this season. A team with a backbone would be nice.

Yeah, I know, and you have to be good to be lucky and the harder I work the luckier I get and all that. It just seems that this team is really a case of 'if it can go wrong, it will.'

Toronto_Bhoy
10-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Two excellent points Beach!

Interim coach and the problem existed before Cummins took over.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-28-2009, 09:14 AM
unfortunately, a lot of times, such as in this case, it comes down to being told stuff off the record by sources, which means it's material you can't publish.

I understand it's frustrating for you guys (it's even more frustrating for me), but that's the way it is. If I were to publish a story using material that was told to me off the record, my professional reputation (don't laugh!) would take a hit and so would any credibility I had.

So it's not a case of me or any other reporter who covers the team "sitting on the story". It's a matter of needing someone credible to go on the record about this.

Rest assured that there are people in the media that are still pursuing this.

John

Off the record, John…was it common knowledge amongst the local media during the season…the fact that there was a major rift in the room?

Toronto_Bhoy
10-28-2009, 09:18 AM
LOL!

From the Calgary Metro News story!

The struggling side [TFC] joins Toronto's tapestry of sports teams in turmoil, alongside the Blue Jays, who are sorting through clubhouse dissent at manager Cito Gaston, the Argos, who are an utter train wreck, the Maple Leafs, who are off to the worst start in franchise history, and the Raptors, who have remade themselves in an attempt to reverse a disastrous season.

Hmmmmm…pretty much covers the Toronto sports scene…

Mark in Ottawa
10-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Hmmmmm…pretty much covers the Toronto sports scene…

At least your city has a sports scene.
Ottawa... Hockey... The Senators and the Major Junior 67's... the end :(

flambe
10-28-2009, 09:30 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8329227.stm

Make anyone feel better about losing 5-0 to NYRB?
Didn't think so, but at least it happens to everyone.

Super
10-28-2009, 10:47 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8329227.stm

Make anyone feel better about losing 5-0 to NYRB?
Didn't think so, but at least it happens to everyone.

So you're saying that Real Madrid, who killed us 5-1, is a shite team as well?

Yeah, I feel much better ;)

werewolf
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I can't remember seeing DeRo referred to simply as "Rosario" before :lol:

"Rosario explained the biggest difference between Houston and Toronto is that the Dynamo had more "spirit and fight" and "you had more hunger and more guys wanting to make a difference" in Houston."

johnmolinaro
10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I can't remember seeing DeRo referred to simply as "Rosario" before :lol:

"Rosario explained the biggest difference between Houston and Toronto is that the Dynamo had more "spirit and fight" and "you had more hunger and more guys wanting to make a difference" in Houston."

Damn those copy editors! fixed now.

Broadview
10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
I remember Freddie Ljunberg calling Dero "Rosario" after the game in Seattle. Maybe he's an editor?

Tezza
10-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Maybe it's me...but after watching the Brennan interview I thought he was having a hard time trying not to smile when they asked how he felt now that CC is gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if CC went to Mo and told him what was going on and didn't get Mo's support as Mo had already made his decision to look for a new head coach next year. Would explain why CC wouldn't even consider an assistants role with the team.

I have no trust in anything Mo says either after watching him twitch and stammer in the press conference but I'm wondering if the problem was more with CC not being given the authority to deal with problems. I suppose that talks to Mo "meddling" with the coach.

Either way..CC lost the team...he had no choice but to go.

Beach_Red
10-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Two excellent points Beach!

Interim coach and the problem existed before Cummins took over.

Of course, he was an assistant the year before so should he have seen it developing? Or did it just happen too fast?

This does seem like the kind of situation where experience really helps.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-28-2009, 01:23 PM
TFC need to sort out this mess asap this cant continue till training camp or it will just carry over till next season...backatabbing..bad Apples? i wounder who that could apply to? ( song from the RPB album insert DE Rosarioooo .....?? wouldn't suprise me the least, he threw a tantrum on the turf go miffrf that JDG gets a bigger pay cheque soulnds like trouble there!! As far as brennan i hope the club release him, hes
been a waste of space this season and pretty much the same for all 3 seasons.

Fort York Redcoat
10-28-2009, 01:40 PM
^I agree with "waste of space" but nothing to do with Jim Brennan.

Joe Kool
10-28-2009, 01:49 PM
DeRosario said on the Grill Room a while ago that he plans to renegotiate his contract after showing what he can do for us during the season. He said he signed a multi-year deal but that doesn't mean it can't be changed. He said he was promised something then it changed after he told Houston he was leaving so he sounds not too happy in that sense. After this year, he has definitely proved himself but he is already maxed out pretty much without getting the DP spot. Sounds like he is not one of the bad apples but has potential to be since he is not 100% happy.

sulfur
10-28-2009, 07:31 PM
From http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=690664&cc=5901

FC Dallas has fired general manager Michael Hitchcock, who ran the front office for the last four years. Hitchcock's dismissal was announced Tuesday by team owner Clark Hunt.

FC Dallas reached the playoffs twice under Hitchcock, but fell short this season. The team was 48-47-27 in his tenure. The team will not hire a new GM. Instead, a technical director will be hired to assist coach Schellas Hyndman.

rocker
10-28-2009, 08:14 PM
He said he was promised something then it changed after he told Houston he was leaving so he sounds not too happy in that sense.

Who promised him something? Houston? Cuz obviously TFC couldn't have promised him anything before he told Houston he was leaving.

If Houston offered him something, no way should TFC be on the hook to satisfy that promise.