PDA

View Full Version : Improvements to BMO field

no1redsfan
10-27-2009, 10:06 PM
It is now my understanding that TFC are now going ahead with the resurfacing of BMO field with natural grass. Good start but too long in coming. There are some other changes I would like to see and am wondering what other TFC fans would like to see.

The top 3 changes I'd like to see at BMO are:

1. This one might be unique to the game of football and I don't know if it's been done elsewhere but, I would like to see the areas behind the goals 'blackened out' so as to give the fans (tv or in-attendance) a clear outline of the goalposts and ball from anywhere in the stadium. As we all know in the game of baseball the seats directly behind the centerfield fence are painted black so as to give the batter a clear view of the little white ball. I think the same consideration should be given to the fans because afterall they are the ones who ultimately pay the bill. At times, it is so hard to make out the outline of the white goalposts amid a background of grey concrete and multi-coloured advertising.

2. Seating closer to the field. I am so jealous when I see games from the English FA where fans are right on top of the action and in many stadiums seated directly behind the advertising boards. Yet, at BMO field there is this tremendous gap between the first row of fans and the touchline. So often, this area is taken up by security, photograghers and general hangers-on who don't seem to be there for any particular reason other to cause a unneccesary distraction to the fans and drama unfolding on the pitch. This area MUST be cleaned up. Funny, when they were trying to raise public support for the building of a new stadium, we were all being told of a facility where fans were only five meters from the touchline. When the actual stadium was built we could all clearly see this is not the case with there being no seating anywhere in the stadium within 12 meters from it. Such lies! This 'moat' around the castle must go.

3.Sunken player benches. I really feel for those people who sit directly behind the two tall glass player benches and are forced to have such a distraction to contend with. There is no excuse for this.

prizby
10-28-2009, 12:02 AM
It is now my understanding that TFC are now going ahead with the resurfacing of BMO field with natural grass. Good start but too long in coming. There are some other changes I would like to see and am wondering what other TFC fans would like to see.

The top 3 changes I'd like to see at BMO are:

2. Seating closer to the field. I am so jealous when I see games from the English FA where fans are right on top of the action and in many stadiums seated directly behind the advertising boards. Yet, at BMO field there is this tremendous gap between the first row of fans and the touchline. So often, this area is taken up by security, photograghers and general hangers-on who don't seem to be there for any particular reason other to cause a unneccesary distraction to the fans and drama unfolding on the pitch. This area MUST be cleaned up. Funny, when they were trying to raise public support for the building of a new stadium, we were all being told of a facility where fans were only five meters from the touchline. When the actual stadium was built we could all clearly see this is not the case with there being no seating anywhere in the stadium within 12 meters from it. Such lies! This 'moat' around the castle must go.

hello, there are seats right by the boards!

3.Sunken player benches. I really feel for those people who sit directly behind the two tall glass player benches and are forced to have such a distraction to contend with. There is no excuse for this.

hwo is that a bmo field improvement...if u go to bmo field, they aren't their 95% of the time

Blazer
10-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Superficial changes. Not at all on my radar of BMO upgrades. Blacking out endzones?! Please.

How’s about:

1 – Real sod (accomplished)
2 – Maximize capacity by filling corner gaps and other areas – not blacking them out (in the works)
3 – More efficient concessions so I don’t miss the fucking game I paid for (epic fail)

Keyman
10-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Yellow jackets....nuff said

Brooker
10-28-2009, 12:51 AM
although i realize you can't fill in the corners because of safety reason, i definitely agree with #2 and don't see why we aren't closer... I mean, when you look at it, there is NOTHING going on there. why are we back so far? there's so much fucking space! the pitch sizes around the league are all different. christ, the Wizards pitch is as big as my backyard! surely we could move the net back a full length, couldn't we?

and please, OLDER EXPERIENCED WOMEN SERVING BEER! these young girls are nice to look at but they are so slow and useless! The women are always great.

no1redsfan
10-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Let me further explain the 'blackening out' part. All I am suggesting is that in a very small area directly behing each goal they should be using dark and solid colour tones. This would make it a lot easier for fans to have a clear outline of the goalnets. It is simple logic. If your watch face was white, then obviously the hands of your watch would be a contrasting colour.

As far as the seating, I maintain there is not one single red seat within 12 meters of the touch line. What you have at BMO field is: the touch line, then 3 meters of extra grass, then a hard surface, then the advertising boards, then an open area of about six meters and finally the first row of red seats. You also have hundreds of people in these areas wandering back and forth causing an unnessary distraction. You do not see this in english football, at least not in the better grounds.

Canary Canuck
10-28-2009, 01:09 AM

I actually agree with you on this. However, the reason the first row is set so far back is the FIFA regulations for new stadium construction. To be FIFA compliant, all new stadiums around the world are required to have the first row of seating a minimum of 6 metres from the touchlines and 7.5 metres from the endlines with "recommended" distances of 8 metres and 10 metres respectively. This is why newer stadiums in England like the Emirates and Eastlands aren't as tight as the older grounds like Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford that predate the regulations.

Hitcho
10-28-2009, 06:16 AM
At this stage I'd settle for a north stand that at least matches the south in terms of size (ideally SG controlled to avoid scalper issues). Filling in the corners would be nice, if it can be done. But only if we're confident of selling out all these extra seats and they're not going to sit empty.

Fort York Redcoat
10-28-2009, 06:59 AM
blacking out behind the goal is tantamount to blue for pass and red for shoot.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-28-2009, 07:07 AM
haha... love the analogy. :D

Personally, the first things I want to see are a north stand and a roof, and a permanent north stand is going up for next season if I understand correctly...?

Eastend
10-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Good thread....and no need to knock other peoples 'wishlist', it's their wishlist, make your own and move on.

I'd like a roof over the south end.
I'd like beer served in the south end again.

Can't really complain about anything else. I like my little stadium by the lake. Not fancy but who cares....give me a winning team.

rocker
10-28-2009, 07:21 AM
I don't really think the seats are that far from the pitch. I've sat in Row 1, Section 123, and man, it's darn close! I could almost reach out and tap Paul Beirne on the shoulder. I was just feet away from the players' bench.

One problem of making the seats closer is you lose angles. Right now, from 125, I can look down to the south west corner flag and just see the touchline. If the seats were closer, I would not be able to see the lines at all, particularly if people stood up.

I think it's designed as tightly as can be.

CoachGT
10-28-2009, 07:41 AM
1. More washroom spaces.
2. Wider concourse, better traffic flow around concessions.
3. Better traffic flow into the stadium pre-game. Open the gates earlier maybe?
4. Just as BMO customer's have a separate entrance, do the same for supporters at Gate 3. Perhaps use the gate that is right behind the south stands. Just need to figure out how best to identify members of the groups. Their membership card or a pin or something?

Section 117
10-28-2009, 07:54 AM
My only wish is that they improve the quality of the product on the field.

nothing else

drewski
10-28-2009, 07:54 AM

seriously.

I've not once had a problem seeing the posts

1. More washroom spaces.

ding ding ding!

as a spectator, these are my two biggest off-field beefs

Blazer
10-28-2009, 07:57 AM
^ Never had issue with the washrooms, they are on par with most stadiums I’ve been to comparatively speaking – just cleaner. I find you can be in line, take a piss, wash and get out in less than 3 minutes. Not at all unreasonable.

Can’t widen concrete now, but I agree it’s pretty chaotic down there at the half. Crowds before and after the game can be avoided by coming early and not leaving right away. Otherwise, it’s not that bad outside of halftime and something we have to accept if we’re not willing to do the above. The concessions could be pushed further out of the way perhaps, but I’m not sold that it’s the main cause for the lack of space inside of BMO. I figure 1000+ smokers in the south end alone make a mad dash for the exit when the referee blows his whistle in order to get in a quick smoke or two before lining up for another piss and beer. From there, back up the tin stairwell and into your seat … bingo, second half kickoff!

Batman
10-28-2009, 08:11 AM
blackened out behind goal
closer to the field
sunken player benchs

Maybe they should play their games at Fenway park. Wouldn't that accomplish everything on your list?

drewski
10-28-2009, 08:12 AM
cleaniness is fine, its the lineups, at washrooms and concessions at halftime that are the problem.

even when my g/f & I take turns in line at the concession whiel the other one pisses, we still miss a few minutes. My g/f was devastated @ her first game when she missed the first and only goal of the game.

IMO, you should be able to take a piss, get some food & beer and be able to get back to your seats before the 2nd half starts, especially given this is a sport where they might only be 1 goal

CoachGT
10-28-2009, 08:27 AM
blackened out behind goal
closer to the field
sunken player benchs

Maybe they should play their games at Fenway park. Wouldn't that accomplish everything on your list?

Given Ljundberg's quote about KC and the baseball field having the best grass in the league, you might be on to something!

Belfast_Boy
10-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Improvements for BMO? a team that'll make the playoffs!

don't think we need more seats there's some empty ones at every game.

don't think we need the blackouts sounds like making the puck glow. football in the rest of the world has done fine enough without them. lets not baseballize football PLEASE! what's next, stop playing when it rains!

the line ups suck and I've missed goals and parts of the game because I was taking a pee and trying to get food for my kid. should be ample time to do both at the half.

other than that I'm good with BMO especially since we're getting grass.

Blazer
10-28-2009, 08:44 AM
cleaniness is fine, its the lineups, at washrooms and concessions at halftime that are the problem.

even when my g/f & I take turns in line at the concession whiel the other one pisses, we still miss a few minutes. My g/f was devastated @ her first game when she missed the first and only goal of the game.

IMO, you should be able to take a piss, get some food & beer and be able to get back to your seats before the 2nd half starts, especially given this is a sport where they might only be 1 goal

Concessions are an issue no doubt. Nobody should have the experience that you’re talking about.

I can’t say that I’ve experienced the concession holdups because I refuse to buy beer or food at that place, but I know people around me have missed goals this year as a result of the unreasonable flocks of people lining up. It’s a legitimate cause for concern and if I’m BMO, I’m seriously looking into improvements for next year. No, not "improvements", I’m looking into an outright solution to the problem – because it’s not an inconvenience for paying customers, it’s a problem for customers that BMO must address.

There’s too much revenue lost from people who say, “Fuck the beer, I wanna see the game”.

billyfly
10-28-2009, 08:47 AM
I 've said it before. Use the wrought iron Canada coat of arms that used to be at MLG (and I know MLSE has somewhere) and make it into a grand fence entrance a la Anfield.

olegunnar
I think they could and probably should add more seats closer to the field. Especially now that grass is coming and the Argo's window of opportunity is closing.

The view and angles won't be ideal...but that's why the best and typically most expensive seats are midfield upper deck.

This isn't baseball or a concert where closer is better.

CoachGT
^ Never had issue with the washrooms, they are on par with most stadiums I’ve been to comparatively speaking – just cleaner. I find you can be in line, take a piss, wash and get out in less than 3 minutes. Not at all unreasonable.

Depends upon where you are. Considerably longer than 3 minutes near my seats. Many people get up around the 42-43 minute to beat the line ups. Line up seems to be starting earlier and earlier. If you can get there as the half ends, chances are you'll be out on the stairs in time for the opening whistle of the next half, not in your seats but on the stairs.

Concessions are a no-go except pre-game.

jabbronies
10-28-2009, 08:57 AM
- wider consession areas for sure.
- Roof
- Fill the corner gaps with seats
- BETTER LIDS THAT ACTUALLY FIT ON THE BEER CUPS

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-28-2009, 09:00 AM
I 've said it before. Use the wrought iron Canada coat of arms that used to be at MLG (and I know MLSE has somewhere) and make it into a grand fence entrance a la Anfield.
Bet you anything that, like most of the Gardens, it was auctioned off. This is MLSE, they have absolutely no interest in such trivial matters as preserving pieces of history.

pdelgadinho
10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
hwo is that a bmo field improvement...if u go to bmo field, they aren't their 95% of the time

Prizby, you really shouldn't comment on things that you are not sure about. My view of the field is blocked by those rain shelters over the player benches, and I can tell you they were used during the first 8 games of the season and then probably 3 or 4 more times over the rest of the season. Which means they were used over 50% of the time.

It's inexcusable that in this day and age this still happens. It's like sitting in a 75 year old stadium with seats behind support posts.

billyfly
10-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Bet you anything that, like most of the Gardens, it was auctioned off. This is MLSE, they have absolutely no interest in such trivial matters as preserving pieces of history.

I don;t know who would have bought it. It was huge!

Blazer
10-28-2009, 09:11 AM

http://bp3.blogger.com/_1eaHc14qXsU/R1n1x2BVncI/AAAAAAAAAaI/Ekpt9yG3rsE/s320/canada+coat+of+arms.gif

Mint!

Blazer
10-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Depends upon where you are. Considerably longer than 3 minutes near my seats. Many people get up around the 42-43 minute to beat the line ups. Line up seems to be starting earlier and earlier. If you can get there as the half ends, chances are you'll be out on the stairs in time for the opening whistle of the next half, not in your seats but on the stairs.

Concessions are a no-go except pre-game.

111. Pisser is right beneath me next to the beer concesshh.

billyfly
10-28-2009, 09:15 AM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_1eaHc14qXsU/R1n1x2BVncI/AAAAAAAAAaI/Ekpt9yG3rsE/s320/canada+coat+of+arms.gif

Mint!

Can you imagine?

Mark in Ottawa
10-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Granted I have not attended the majority of games at BMO but I have never seen gate # 2 open. Is there a reason for that?

I went to the concessions once.
Combination of waiting, inept service and pricing means I have never gone back.

Blazer
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
^ There’s no unreasonable delay that takes place before games to get into BMO, so I can’t see how opening another gate relieves us of any unfair waiting periods. If there is unjustified amounts of waiting, (that I may not know about) I don’t think it’s a result of volume getting in or out so much as it might be a heightened security check on special dates.

Now, if opening gates allows concessions to back the fuck up and open up the tunnel for fans, than that’s a sensible no-brainer. I just don’t see how you can move concrete to widen the area as people are suggesting?! Maybe I'm confused as to how folks in here think BMO can go about "widening" the tunnel.

Globetrotter
10-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I just want to see a better team. That will make BMO much nicer.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I don;t know who would have bought it. It was huge!You're probably right, actually... Just any mention of Maple Leaf Gardens (and its treatment since February 9, 1999) awakens the militant in me. :o The mofos at MLSE refused to sell it to anyone who planned to use it as a hockey arena, because it might constitute an 'entertainment threat' to the ACC. Bet you anything they gutted it and auctioned off the seats, boards, etc. for exactly that purpose, to prevent it being used as an arena in the future. I think if anything shows exactly what MLSE is really about at its core, it's the current state of Maple Leaf Gardens.

If that gate still exists, it'd be awesome to see it at BMO. Might be worth mentioning to mlsintoronto next time he posts.

JonO
10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Concessions are a tough one. I can't tell you the number of times I have had to wait more than 5 minutes even when there were only one or two people in front of me and two people serving... I'd like to think that BMO/MLSE are also looking into this as it affects them too. Not sure how much can be done about it. I doubt there are people lining up to work the concessions at BMO (not being smug about it - just saying is all)

CoachGT
10-28-2009, 09:55 AM
We had a "challenge" at the final game when our printed tickets didn't work. We ended up having to go to the ticket office to try to get them reprinted. There were a few people at the desk, but it seemed that they only use one computer terminal to print the tickets. So even though there were 6 or 7 service reps, now they stood in line inside the booth waiting for their turn at the terminal. I would have expected that each window would have a terminal available to print tickets right there without having to go somewhere else and stand in line.

Damn near missed the opening kick and the banner despite having tried to get in 40+ minutes before the scheduled start.

boban
10-28-2009, 10:50 AM
We had a "challenge" at the final game when our printed tickets didn't work. We ended up having to go to the ticket office to try to get them reprinted. There were a few people at the desk, but it seemed that they only use one computer terminal to print the tickets. So even though there were 6 or 7 service reps, now they stood in line inside the booth waiting for their turn at the terminal. I would have expected that each window would have a terminal available to print tickets right there without having to go somewhere else and stand in line.

Damn near missed the opening kick and the banner despite having tried to get in 40+ minutes before the scheduled start.
Don't think it's cost effective to have a printer for each one, but 1 printer for every 2 would be.

Blazer
10-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Concessions are a tough one. I can't tell you the number of times I have had to wait more than 5 minutes even when there were only one or two people in front of me and two people serving... I'd like to think that BMO/MLSE are also looking into this as it affects them too. Not sure how much can be done about it. I doubt there are people lining up to work the concessions at BMO (not being smug about it - just saying is all)

A lot can be done about it because they’re losing sales, and for MLSE that’s tantamount to massive hemorrhaging.

GhostKiller
10-28-2009, 04:54 PM
1) North Stands
2) Roof
3) Hard Booz

Washrooms? Unless you have to shit go in the parking lot

Beer lids? There are actually two different cup models for the same size of beer and only one lid size. Half the lids arent designed for the cups there and thus don't fit. If you get a bum lid, throw it in their face.

Canadian Coat of Arms? Solid

Widening the Tunnel? Ludacris has some good advice about how to deal with getting through crowds. Peep the technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFU6ONiTO-g

Blazer
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
^ Now, I think these top three are legitimate ideas for upgrades. Nice going.

DichioTFC
10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
1) North Stands
2) Roof
3) Hard Booz

Washrooms? Unless you have to shit go in the parking lot

Beer lids? There are actually two different cup models for the same size of beer and only one lid size. Half the lids arent designed for the cups there and thus don't fit. If you get a bum lid, throw it in their face.

Canadian Coat of Arms? Solid

Widening the Tunnel? Ludacris has some good advice about how to deal with getting through crowds. Peep the technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFU6ONiTO-g

4JuS5AwR5Xg

seems like the answer to post-game traffic along lakeshore as well

Pookie
10-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I'd like:

1. Some kind of 5 minute warning buzzer/bell before the start of the 2nd half. I can then decide to abandon my place in line.

2. A roof... not a dome... just a nice bit of shelter for the east stands

3. A store that you could get access to prior to the gates being opened. Like Centresports at the ACC. I could then buy whatever I need to and put it back in the car without carrying it around all game.

4. I'd like tracking number 876523434-3124234 to just once confirm that the game ball was late and sent to the wrong address.

ArmenJBX
10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I'd like:

4. I'd like tracking number 876523434-3124234 to just once confirm that the game ball was late and sent to the wrong address.

lulz :D

Blizzard
10-28-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't really think the seats are that far from the pitch. I've sat in Row 1, Section 123, and man, it's darn close! I could almost reach out and tap Paul Beirne on the shoulder. I was just feet away from the players' bench.

One problem of making the seats closer is you lose angles. Right now, from 125, I can look down to the south west corner flag and just see the touchline. If the seats were closer, I would not be able to see the lines at all, particularly if people stood up.

I think it's designed as tightly as can be.

Exactly right. In 113, good luck seeing a corner kick from the south-west corner of the field.

Montreal is terrible in that respect. When we were behind the goal for the Honduras match, there was absolutely no way you were seeing any corner kick in the near end of the field ..... or any play that took place in the near corners. The stands were simply too close to the field!

Blizzard
10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
1. More washroom spaces.
3. Better traffic flow into the stadium pre-game. Open the gates earlier maybe?
4. Just as BMO customer's have a separate entrance, do the same for supporters at Gate 3. Perhaps use the gate that is right behind the south stands. Just need to figure out how best to identify members of the groups. Their membership card or a pin or something?

That is gate 3A. There's nothing stopping anybody from using it now. It's lines are always shorter than 3.

There's no need to make it a SG's only entrance. South stands perhaps but then we make it more difficult for people to move into the west stand.

How about just showing up a bit early!

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
That is gate 3A. There's nothing stopping anybody from using it now. It's lines are always shorter than 3.

There's no need to make it a SG's only entrance. South stands perhaps but then we make it more difficult for people to move into the west stand.

How about just showing up a bit early!

More Bathrooms.....NO Roofs ever keep it as an open stadium...
hotter food at the consessions, most is luke warm at best

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see a roof, but I don't seeing it happening as it's hard justify in terms of increasing the "quality" of the franchise, unlike grass it won't allow the team to attract a better calibre of player.

no1redsfan
10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Let me explain the 'blackening out' part. I am not proposing anything too drastic. All I am suggesting is that in the immediate areas behind the goals they should use dark and solid colour tones so as to highlight the goalposts and crossbar relative to their background. It is simple logic. If the face of your watch were white, then obviously the hands would be a contrasting colour. I can't speak for everyone, but sometimes I find it difficult to see the (white) crossbar amid the light grey (concrete) background.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Granted I have not attended the majority of games at BMO but I have never seen gate # 2 open. Is there a reason for that?

I went to the concessions once.
Combination of waiting, inept service and pricing means I have never gone back.

Gate 2 was open back in 2007 - I don't know about every game, but certainly on a few occasions. I entered the stadium a couple of times from that gate, and there was never a line. I know this isn't economically feasible, but I really preferred entering BMO from Gate 2 90 minutes before kick-off then having to line up at Gate 1 or 3 60 minutes before kick-off.

james
10-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Besides maybe the many old England grounds the majority of stadiums else where around the world are built where the seats behind the nets look much further away from the field then BMO field seats are. THe huge majority of South American clubs have tracks or/and even motes around the field to stop fans from running onto the field. Majority of Italian clubs also play with tracks around the field as well along with many other European clubs. I personally prefer closer the better, but i really dont think we are that far away from the field, your just talking maybe like 8-10 feet from the field lines, maybe bit further at the sides but they have those table and benches there. I dont think its a big issue tho at all.

I have only ever noticed sucken benches like a dug out at soccer games at 1 stadium before and that was Boca Juniors Stadium La Bombonera. And that stadium is one of the most unique and coolest looking stadiums ive ever seen.

we dont need black behind the nets. Thats Baseball....keep it in baseball.

james
10-28-2009, 11:24 PM
although i realize you can't fill in the corners because of safety reason, i definitely agree with #2 and don't see why we aren't closer... I mean, when you look at it, there is NOTHING going on there. why are we back so far? there's so much fucking space! the pitch sizes around the league are all different. christ, the Wizards pitch is as big as my backyard! surely we could move the net back a full length, couldn't we?

and please, OLDER EXPERIENCED WOMEN SERVING BEER! these young girls are nice to look at but they are so slow and useless! The women are always great.

they can still add and fill in seats at the corner as long as they have a height high enough for an ambulance or fire truck to drive in, just like ACC has, and every other stadium in USA/Canada and you really only need maybe 10-15 feet height clearance. You can build seats above that.

james
10-28-2009, 11:32 PM
wasnt there talk that BMO field would be adding 1,000-2,000 setas for the full 2010 season behind the North End? Is that still happening?

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2009, 09:40 AM
My only wish is that they improve the quality of the product on the field.

nothing else

what constitutes a supporter?

That would create divisions and more prawn specific areas.

The whole stadium should be lively, not just the south end