PDA

View Full Version : MLS Playoff Picture

Roogsy
10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
So now that Toronto FC bowed out in spectacular fashion, we can discuss how the MLS playoffs will look without them.

Here is a picture of the bracket.

http://www.settingthetable.info/mlscup_bracket.jpg

Who do you think will be the final two teams showing up for the finals in Seattle?

And who do you predict will win?

Roogsy
10-27-2009, 12:53 AM
I think it will be LA vs Columbus in the finals with Columbus coming out on top. As much as it pains me...ugh.

Although...I wouldn't count out Seattle. That team is going to make some noise and will give Houston all they can handle. If they beat Houston, they will be extra motivated to play in the final at home.

Shway
10-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Seattle v Columbus final. Seattle wins final
i said it

Super
10-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Too much parity in this league to predict a winner. Roll the dice. Done!

bimmer
10-27-2009, 01:29 AM
I hope Seattle makes it to the finals. They're already opening up more seats for playoff games, and if they make it to the end, I bet they'll seriously consider opening up the entire stadium. A MLS final in front of a capacity crowd at Qwest Field = good publicity for the league.

prizby
10-27-2009, 08:04 AM
i really thought it'd be toronto FC vs. MLS all-stars

Chivas vs. Columbus

Globetrotter
10-27-2009, 08:18 AM
real vs houston

Hitcho
10-27-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm still way too downbeat after Saturday's performance to generate enthusiasm for other teams in the league and what they might do.

I'll switch on for the final, until then I plan to mope around and forget that football exists for a while... :(

KrazyKanadian
10-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Galaxy-Revolution with New England winning 2-1.

felipe
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Houston over Columbus!

I love polls!

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
LA - Columbus yes, but LA will win.

Fuck.

Carts
10-27-2009, 08:52 AM
I'd love to see either Seattle or LA make the final for the good of the league...

If Seattle is in, that stadium will sell out...

If LA (aka Beckham/Donovan) is in, a sell out is still possible, and world wide media attention follows...

Since we're out - I'm hoping for what's best for the league...

Carts...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-27-2009, 08:56 AM
CREW champions again..

canadian_bhoy
10-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I think LA is going to take it.

Probably against Chicago or Craplumbus

Whoop
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
I think Columbus is going to win again.

Fuck.

flatpicker
10-27-2009, 12:29 PM
For the good of the league, I hope either LA or Seattle make the final.
It's a shame we can't have both of them in the Cup final together.
LA would be huge for obvious reasons; Beckham, league exposure, marketing value, etc.
Seattle would be good for similar reason (though not to the level of LA).
But having the new expansion team play the final in front of their own fans would be electric!

Roogsy
10-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I think LA is going to take it.

Probably against Chicago or Craplumbus

To be honest, my hopes are for LA or Seattle to take it.

Firstly, it would almost competely do away with the argument that MLS teams don't need DPs. While I agree the wrong DP can competely screw a team up, if you have the right DP, I think it makes a difference. It does for Chicago, it does for LA and I think it does for Seattle even though Ljundberg has been limited due to injury.

Secondly, I think it would be good for the league if either of these teams win. They both have solid fanbases, they both have marketable stars and they both rival any team in the league in terms of support.

Thirdly, if Seattle wins, it would shut up the naysayers around here about an MLS team having success in the first year. There is no way you can credit existance in the USL for making a run to the MLS finals in your first year in the league and compare that to our own team's failures of 3 years without acknowledging we are severely behind the curve on this. It would be a lot of egg on TFC's faces if Seattle were to accomplish this and if I can't influence this team to get better through my support, then hopefully humiliation does it instead.

And lastly, if LA win, this league overall would benefit immensely from the high profile. I wouldn't particularly like ALL the consequences of LA winning it, especially since it would probably reinforce the idea that aging stars in Europe can come retire here, but then the upside is that it would get more global attention which seems to have died down for MLS, which would mean more money and hopefully better players. At the end of the day, we do need Beckham to be an ambassador for the league, as much as I hate it.

My third choice would be for New England to win. You just gotta feel for these guys that are always the bridesmaid, never the bride. But in all likelihood they will get knocked out in the first round.

However...these are all emotional choices. My prediction for who will win is Columbus. Those assholes are simply too strong and we will have to put up with another year of having their supporters (and their douchebag front office) in our faces. I can't think of a team (and fans) that deserves it less...but who on the pitch show the most.

flatpicker
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM
^ the long version of what I said.

Agreed, on all points Roogsy.

Damien
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Anyone but the fuckin Sounders, for love of all things holy!

bimmer
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Anyone but the fuckin Sounders, for love of all things holy!

Seattle in the final would be good for the league IMO.

Cas87
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I say Galaxy vs. Revs, just becasue the Revs know how to get to the big game (just not how to win it yet.)
my other choice is Galaxy vs. Crew mainly becasue they were the two most dominant teams in the league this year

Jay P
10-27-2009, 03:03 PM
im sick of chicago vs new england, reg season, super liga... ugh. If there is 2 MLS teams i hate seeing play its chicago vs new england.

looking forward to the gals/goats, I think someone will be stupid enough to get red carded in that game.

and i really do not want to see the sounders in the final

any club except seattle :D

Cas87
10-27-2009, 04:00 PM
any club except seattle :D

To add to that I follow the words of King Danny out in Newfoundland:

A.B.C.:
ANYONE BUT THE CREW!

well, at least i think thats what he meant by the ABC accronym ;)

cheers!:drinking:

Brooker
10-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say Chivas vs Chicago in the final.

dow117
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I think RSL are a very decent team ... showed that in their 1-0 loss to us but looked sharp. If they step it up a notch, they are better than the Crew.
Seattle - RSL final with RSL winning comfortably ....

Redcoe15
10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Who cares? They're all dead to me! Especially Columbus! :prrr:

Jay P
10-28-2009, 10:29 AM
gol is showing the dynamo/sounders game thursday

Roogsy
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Well almost 70% of us think Columbus will be one of the final two teams. That isn't surprising I guess...I just wish it weren't true! :(

Yohan
10-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Columbus vs Seattle for final

Seattle is really a bit of dark horse. LA just dont have enough firepower up front to take it all I think. If Beckham/Donovan combo don't produce, LA is in big trouble

Though same can be said about Seattle. Freddy Montero, where are you?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Well almost 70% of us think Columbus will be one of the final two teams. That isn't surprising I guess...I just wish it weren't true! :(

well the 30 % might be right over two legs i could see columbus losing out in the first round....LA in the final.against Chicago Becks v Blanco a dream match up MLS would love!!

jloome
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
My ideal final? Columbus versus LA, with a water main failing just under the pitch before the game, so that when both teams step out onto the pitch, it collapses and they all die horribly.

SoccMan
10-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey " jloome" time to take a little break from all things TFC I see.:facepalm:

Globetrotter
11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Why is this not a sticky until the playoffs are over?

From the original 74 votes... 66 people have already been eliminated!! Ouch. So funny "there I said it". Ya, your prediction went horribly wrong. There, you said it wrong. hehe.

Unfortunately, they never closed the voting...so people can come in and start to vote. I've screen captured our current 74 votes, and hopefully the voters also posted who they voted for (I was the lone RSL vs HOU vote).

Of the remaining 8 people still in it, this is what we have
LA vs RSL 0
LA vs CHI 5
HOU vs RSL 1
HOU vs CHI 2

Brooker
11-10-2009, 01:43 AM
yup my Chicago Chivas vote is long gone.

hoping for LA v RSL final with RSL winning. :D

nascarguy
11-10-2009, 02:08 AM
My ideal final? Columbus versus LA, with a water main failing just under the pitch before the game, so that when both teams step out onto the pitch, it collapses and they all die horribly.
you forgot about the place seting on fire and blowing up:flare::flare:

Globetrotter
11-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Of the original group of 74 votes, the 8 that still remained in contention have all failed now that we know the finals matchup.

5 voted for LA to make it (all vs Chicago)
1 voted for RSL to make it (vs Houston)

I guess we finish with a 6 way tie for first place!... unless you want to give the 1 person that picked the long shot 8th seed the victory. I'm fine with that...since I was the one that picked RSL :P

Globetrotter
11-16-2009, 02:41 PM
2 people actually went on AFTER my last post and decided to vote for RSL vs LA. Smartest chimps in the forest they are...clever lot. The screen capture below actual shows the original 74 votes.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1402/playoffbracket.th.png (http://img88.imageshack.us/i/playoffbracket.png/)

Redpunkfiddle
11-16-2009, 05:32 PM
2 people actually went on AFTER my last post and decided to vote for RSL vs LA. Smartest chimps in the forest they are...clever lot. The screen capture below actual shows the original 74 votes.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1402/playoffbracket.th.png (http://img88.imageshack.us/i/playoffbracket.png/)

I want names posted. Mods?

Globetrotter
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I want names posted. Mods?

Nice one. Let's call out these Nostradamus'.