PDA

View Full Version : Where's the leadership?

Hitcho
10-26-2009, 09:39 AM
This has been touched on in other threads, but so far the only players we've seen step up to the camera are Cronin and Edwards (at least on the TFC website), a rookie and a junior guy still learning and waiting for his place in the team.

Where's the captain? Where's De Rosario? Where's Robbo for god's sake? He may not have been playing but he's the vice captain of this team. Where's Serioux? Garcia was touted as being a elader when he joined, where's he?

I find it sickening that all these guys have ducked into hiding and the only players with any heart and the balls to face the media are Cronin and Edwards. Kudos to them, shame on the senior players.

After a performance like that and the way all the fans' hopes were dashed, I think they owe it to the fans, the team and themselves to front up and take ownership. It doesn't say much about next season that we'll likely be lead by these same guys. Poor effort, and pretty disappointing frankly. To send out Cronin and hide yourself, that's just cowardice.

Although at least Cronin had the bollocks to say what everyone is thinking. I like that kid a lot, I hope he stays at TFC for a long time to come. Good player, loads of heart, already displaying leadership. Brennan, De Rosario et al could do with taking note.

mastermixer
10-26-2009, 09:47 AM
I gotta stop coming on here. All these posts today are making my workday hard to get through without getting worked up. Man TFC really shit the bed on this one.

Carts
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree that leaders are the ones to step up to the mic when something like this happens - and should have...

But remember, we don't know what went on in the dressing room...

I've rarely, basically never, seen Anselmi interviewed after a match... Maybe, as the teams' boss - he came into the room and said "...I'll take the heat with the press..." and let the vets get a night off from the cameras... As for Eddie & Cronin, maybe they just got caught in their stalls, but hats off to them (especially Edwards) for making a comment after a 5-nil loss in a must-win game...

Personally, I would have loved to see 3-guys interviewed, Tom-Mo-Chris... With all of them saying in their first comment "...I'm one of the leaders of this team off the pitch, and I have told my players I'll take the heat, they'll be held accountable for their play, but for right now, fire away with your questions..."

Funny enough, 2 of those 3 were interviewed... Someone was missing...

Carts...

Fort York Redcoat
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Leadership roles are undefined next year. The players involved should have took that moment to earn the role for next year not throw up hands and turn off because the seasons done.

bang on Hitcho

felipe
10-26-2009, 09:49 AM
I hate to say it Hitcho - but you're right...although DeRo did step up...

robbo was back across the pond, wynne wasn't there either - I don't get that - how can they not be there? Are they not on the team? Can we not afford the airfare?

I don't care if you're hurt - you go with the team.

Bizarre

Carts
10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I hate to say it Hitcho - but you're right...although DeRo did step up...

robbo was back across the pond, wynne wasn't there either - I don't get that - how can they not be there? Are they not on the team? Can we not afford the airfare?

I don't care if you're hurt - you go with the team.

Bizarre

Definitely agree with this...

Unless a concussion or your injury has you banned from flying, you travel with your team and support them...

Hell, supporters pay to travel and support, least thing a player can do is travel and support your teammates for free...

Carts...

Hitcho
10-26-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree that leaders are the ones to step up to the mic when something like this happens - and should have...

But remember, we don't know what went on in the dressing room...

I've rarely, basically never, seen Anselmi interviewed after a match... Maybe, as the teams' boss - he came into the room and said "...I'll take the heat with the press..." and let the vets get a night off from the cameras...

Agreed, but even then it should have been made clear. Anselmni should have said "Look I just came out of the dressing room and the players are shattered, so I'm fileding questions for now and you can talk to the players once they are back in TOP and have a chance to digest this."

But even then, Brennan should be up there. He's the captain, he promised (stupidly) the fans post season football this year. The team didn't deliver. So now he has to front up and deal with it.

I'm not blaming Brennan, or any player, for not making the play offs, and I am still happy he is our captain, but it is very disappointing that we haven't seen greater leadership from the senior players. Doesn't fill you with hope for next season. And makes you wonder why we caved so often in the last 15 minutes of games, no?

Carts
10-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Agreed, but even then it should have been made clear. Anselmni should have said "Look I just came out of the dressing room and the players are shattered, so I'm fileding questions for now and you can talk to the players once they are back in TOP and have a chance to digest this."

But even then, Brennan should be up there. He's the captain, he promised (stupidly) the fans post season football this year. The team didn't deliver. So now he has to front up and deal with it.

I'm not blaming Brennan, or any player, for not making the play offs, and I am still happy he is our captain, but it is very disappointing that we haven't seen greater leadership from the senior players. Doesn't fill you with hope for next season. And makes you wonder why we caved so often in the last 15 minutes of games, no?

Agreed Hitch...

If the players are given a pass - you have to make it clear thats why they aren't there...

Similar comparrison (obviously much smaller in terms of exposure) but when I played, then subsequently coached Junior hockey, any time we got shelled 6-1, 8-0 etc, we sent out the same 3-guys to the paper and local TV, Captain, Assistant Capt, Assistant Capt... NEVER THE TENDER... (plus coach would speak)

Carts...

daner90
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Well our leaders clearly weren't ON the field for the game either lol

Hitcho
10-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Sending out Edwards after that nightmare was beyond harsh, because he was left hopelessly exposed all game. The senior guys should have been apologising to him and trying to make sure his confidence wasn't destroyed. Instead, they let him do a post match interview while they all hide and sulk. That's fucking pathetic in my book.

Cronin showed guts though. Giving an interview and saying what he said, as a rookie, that took some big nadgers.

Section 117
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
The leader was forced out the door early....

sulfur
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Sending out Edwards after that nightmare was beyond harsh, because he was left hopelessly exposed all game. The senior guys should have been apologising to him and trying to make sure his confidence wasn't destroyed. Instead, they let him do a post match interview while they all hide and sulk.
It also looked (from his eyes and such) that he'd been crying and was put into a situation (whether of his own creation or otherwise) where he felt that he'd let the rest of the team down.

Heck, for all we know, Eddy stepped up and said that he wanted to do the post-game interviews.

Hitcho
10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
^ If he did, then he showed a lot more bollocks than anyone else in the team, except Cronin. Although players like Guevara and Vitti who don't speak English very well you can maybe forgive. But still, where the fuck was Brennan saying to Edwards "Hey don't take it too bad kid, it happens. The team failed tonight, not you. I'm the captain, I'll handle the press questions. We stand together and we fall together. We're not throwing you to the wolves because of this, ok?"

Nuvinho
10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
^ If he did, then he showed a lot more bollocks than anyone else in the team, except Cronin. Although players like Guevara and Vitti who don't speak English very well you can maybe forgive. But still, where the fuck was Brennan saying to Edwards "Hey don't take it too bad kid, it happens. The team failed tonight, not you. I'm the captain, I'll handle the press questions. We stand together and we fall together. We're not throwing you to the wolves because of this, ok?"

exactly!! The leaders, vetrans should be out there taking the heat. Yet, the let 2 rookies go out there and face the music.

I hope in the presser tomorrow, someone brings this up, where were the vets on saturday night? (during and after the game ;) )