PDA

View Full Version : I am not angry- but what direction is taken in the offseason will be key

trane
10-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I had poster prior to the NY game, that no matter what I was confident about next season. I did it partialy, because I was not confident that we would get the result, we have simply not been consistent enought. 5-0 was a suprise and a disapointment, but I still feel like we have a good chore. NOW, who is chosed to coach this team will beTHE key decision in TFCs future, am not an English footy hater, quite the opposite, but if another coach is chosen apparently simply because he is from the UK an knows Mo, then this team is not serious, and it is only a matter of time before we become the Canadian footy minows, when two serious organizations Vancouver and Montreal join this league.

Organization/tactics on the pitch while not the only problem was the KEY problem First going down early is fatal mistake, and then pressing to goal like a bunch of school kids, LEAVES YOU FATALY EXPOSED TO COUNTERS. I new it, I exepcted when I saw we were one goal down that early, and so 6-8 players pressing dangerously deep from about ten minutes in ( Defending on the back foot in those conditions is also very dangerous). We need to slow down the game and methodicaly brake down the NYRB. Any decenent manager/player in any decent league would have know this. Somehow we missed it. Similar mistakes were made not only in that one game but in many, many games through out the season, and they have cost us many, many points.

However, the right coach, and clearly some cohesion on and of the pitch will help us. So I am not angry, just looking forward to the RIGHT hire. I nominated Shags and jloome.

trane
10-26-2009, 09:22 AM
It is also key that the highering by done NOW, not two weeks before the season, in typical Mo fashion.

Beach_Red
10-26-2009, 09:24 AM
^ I second the nominations.

And I agree with your post.

Parkdale
10-26-2009, 09:24 AM
...then this team is not serious, and it is only a matter of time before we become the Canadian footy minnows...

just to touch on that point - Montreal and Vancouver played in the USL final, and MTL won it. MTL's feeder team (Trois Rivieres) won the CSL title. As much as I dislike them, I will be the first to admit that they are doing something right, and if we don't fortify out team before they get into the league, we might NOT be the first Canadian team to win the MLS cup.

Kevvv
10-26-2009, 09:26 AM
There's a shitload to be done, not least is fixing any locker room issues that we currently have. So the personnel changes need to start very soon.

Beach_Red
10-26-2009, 09:27 AM
just to touch on that point - Montreal and Vancouver played in the USL final, and MTL won it. MTL's feeder team (Trois Rivieres) won the CSL title. As much as I dislike them, I will be the first to admit that they are doing something right, and if we don't fortify out team before they get into the league, we might NOT be the first Canadian team to win the MLS cup.

And they beat Vancouver, whose roster isn't all that good but who are very well-coached.

The coach needs to be signed as soon as possible, but if there is someone whose team is still in the playoffs who might be interested, we could wait for that. I have no idea how the tampering rules work in MLS, but Sigi went to Seattle pretty fast last year.

Kevvv
10-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Seeing how Seattle has handled the jump from USL... you are correct.

Beach_Red
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM
There's a shitload to be done, not least is fixing any locker room issues that we currently have. So the personnel changes need to start very soon.

If the team is going to be run on the North American 'coach-GM' model then that job is definitely the coach's. He needs to be hired soon and given control of the team. Too many cooks and all that...

Kevvv
10-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I meant coaching/mgmt personnel, but you're right; player changes need to be under the coach's control.

Hitcho
10-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I think most of the issues stem up to one joint head - the head coach.

We need someone who can get the dressing room in order and quell any unrest, implement a workable system (or two) and get the best out of a squad limited by roster and cap restrictions (and that includes getting them to play with real heart and not frustrated expectation). In reality this needs to be someone with MLS experience.

Whoever it is will want to rebalance the squad in their own mould a little bit, but they will also recognise that we have a glut of talented lpayers for this league and if he can get them pulling together so that they are more than the sum of their parts (ie, a team) then we'll be a very different (and serious) proposition.

It's going to be a long off season though. I don't expect a new head coach to be appointed until pre-season time. Although I'd take Nicol (there's no h in his name people, learn it) right now, no questions asked.

trane
10-26-2009, 09:36 AM
^ You may be right that it will likely take long. However, I think that in itself that is a problem. For may reasons, it will effect team moral, it will give the new coach less time to work on systems to see our players, and our players less time to adjust. So I am hoping for a quick decision. I do not expected, but I do hope that they deliver.

Beach_Red
10-26-2009, 09:46 AM
I meant coaching/mgmt personnel, but you're right; player changes need to be under the coach's control.

Yes, I see the team in more of the NFL model - the coach runs the team, the GM handles the contracts, salary cap issues, and so on. They work together prepping for the draft and so on.

Hustle
10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Very good thread.
Can we just start flooding the teams inbox's with this stuff until they get it?

Section 117
10-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I am mad and the reason I am mad is that I don't think much will change...

Yes we will get a revamped roster and a new coach, but the person running the show will be the same and in the end that means it will be the same old shite

Darlofletch
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM

I would be massively surprised if we are the first Canadian team to win the MLS cup.

Not being the first Canadian team to make the playoffs would be the real embarrassment, that really shouldn't happen.

trane
10-26-2009, 02:41 PM
^ If we do not get our act together, Vancouver is going to be well organized, and with a bit of a tallent infusion , they may be the first Canadian team to make the playoffs, the window of opportunity is not going to be huge.