PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Oct.26.

denime
10-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Mornin'

Off-season shakeup in store for TFC (http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/716089--off-season-shakeup-in-store-for-tfc)

Pointing the finger at Mo (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/pointing-the-finger-at-mo/article1337774/)

Cummins still TFC coach, for now (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/25/sp-cummins-torontofc.html)

Karma police (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/10/25/johnston_karma/)

Cummins unlikely to return after Toronto FC bounced from playoff picture (http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=2143635)

Grading the Reds (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/10/26/11524396-sun.html)

What fun is losing? (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/10/26/11524401-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

pekduck
10-26-2009, 05:56 AM
morning d

ForestGlade
10-26-2009, 06:06 AM
morning d

GBV
10-26-2009, 07:36 AM
not sure how edwards gets a B when he did next to nothing against san jose, was great against RSL, and absolutely dreadful against new york.

and as for barrett's grade ... fair enough ... but if others on the team had that same passion . . .

Hustle
10-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Hey d, Thanks again for the news. Its my first stop every morning.

Fort York Redcoat
10-26-2009, 07:42 AM
What fun is losing? I clicked curious what douche would write that. If you haven't yet it's Gareth Wheeler. Don't bother.

flatpicker
10-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Some heavy articles today...

Ageroo
10-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Morning D.......I am still deflated after travelling all that way to see an Epic loss.....time to actually read something TFC related. I tried to stay away from it all until now....

Fort York Redcoat
10-26-2009, 07:57 AM
^Brace yerself Ags...These waters be stormy.

Ageroo
10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
^Brace yerself Ags...These waters be stormy.

Good seeing you down at the match....and yes...the first article I read was Wheeler...it can all be better after read that shite...:)

ensco
10-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Amazing to see the breadth and depth of criticism of Mo. Not much dissent about it anywhere.

Hustle
10-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Some heavy articles today...

I was happy to see them.

Parkdale
10-26-2009, 08:16 AM
what a day.

Ageroo
10-26-2009, 08:24 AM
what a day.

On a positive note........Rolling Rock mini-bottles are a good deal at 15.00 U.S. for a case of 24.......went down smoothly while getting rained on in the parking lot of Giants Stadium......pekduck, Hazy and Rowan were into the Kraken Rum......and this is my news for the day! :)

felipe
10-26-2009, 08:31 AM
wheeler has no clue - did he ever watch soccer before TFC? What is he a hockey guy or something? His soccer IQ is off the charts - at the wrong end...

Jeff Blair is fucking hilarious

johnmolinaro
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
wheeler has no clue - did he ever watch soccer before TFC? What is he a hockey guy or something? His soccer IQ is off the charts - at the wrong end...

A bit harsh on Wheeler, no?

Totally agree about Blair. He's a talented writer and the best tweeter out there - makes me laugh out loud.

John

Pigfynn
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Come on John, is today really a day for level headedness?

Give us a week at least lol

JamboAl
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Just wanted to send thanks, denime, for the daily updates throughout the season. We'll get 'em next year!

EDIT: Just read Blair's article, agreed 100%...can we just have Blair and Stephen Brunt write about soccer only?

scooter
10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
mornin d

ensco
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM

Totally agree about Blair. He's a talented writer and the best tweeter out there - makes me laugh out loud.

John

John, are you going to write that Dichio story now?

johnmolinaro
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM

going to try, but it'll be pretty hard, considering DD is employed by the team - makes it less likely that he'll want to speak out.

Wagner
10-26-2009, 10:36 AM

Ben Knight teased a little in his most recent article...
that it came down to Dichio vs. Barrett for playing time.

www.onwardsoccer.com (http://www.onwardsoccer.com)

Toronto_Bhoy
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM

On the contrary,Felipe…I thought Wheeler got it bang on today!

I was about to write pretty much the same…

FluSH
10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the offseason...

This is going to be liek the Wild Wild West I tell you...

olegunnar
10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
going to try, but it'll be pretty hard, considering DD is employed by the team - makes it less likely that he'll want to speak out.

How about a promised work visa, that never came through story? :rolleyes:

Toronto_Bhoy
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM

John

Blair is excellent…when he fills in for McCowan on Primetime its the best hour on radio…very sharp.

ensco
10-26-2009, 10:48 AM

You can be the Grant Wahl of TFC. Write the book! :hump:

Dave67
10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Denime - thanks a lot for posting these every day. You have made staying informed so much easier this season. I appreciate it.

Beach_Red
10-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Except he buries the lead: "And it starts at the top, with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd."

He talks about the apathy, but doesn't mention that it's the same with all their teams. Changing middle management isn't going to help and I wish people here wouldn't let them off that easily (and in corporate culture Mo Johnston is no higher up than middle management).

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-26-2009, 11:14 AM
not sure how edwards gets a B when he did next to nothing against san jose, was great against RSL, and absolutely dreadful against new york.

and as for barrett's grade ... fair enough ... but if others on the team had that same passion . . .

DeRo got an A and did nothing in NEW york or down the stretch when it mattered. he deserves a C for the sea...the only players who should get
positive marks for the season...Frei A Attakora B+..start with these two
are build the club around them

billyfly
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Even Howard Berger is putting his 2 cents in:

It seems like every few days, the city of Toronto establishes a new low point in its professional sports legacy, and our town wasn’t to be outdone this weekend. While the Maple Leafs were officially recording the worst eight-game start in franchise history by losing, 3-1, to the Vancouver Canucks, Toronto F.C. of Major League Soccer took the incompetence to an entirely new level. Holding our city’s only chance – among five major pro teams – for a playoff spot in the calendar year 2009, F.C. thoroughly choked against the worst club in MLS and was destroyed, 5-0, by the New York Red Bulls at Giants Stadium. That’s the rough equivalent of a hockey team losing a make-or-break game, 13-0. Sadly for the tortured fans of Toronto, the Leafs aren’t likely to participate in a match of any such relevance this season.

DOMIN8R
10-26-2009, 11:55 AM
John's latest. He calls like he sees it.

Hopefully Saturday night's capitulation will be the impetus for major change, and boy, does this franchise ever need an overhaul.
It starts at the top with general manager Mo Johnston.

Johnston knows the ins and outs of Major League Soccer's complicated salary cap system and has a proven track record of success in the MLS draft.

But the Scot has managed to build a grossly unbalanced team by making a slew of questionable moves over the past two years, among them trading for Chad Barrett and inking him to a contract extension, acquiring Adrian Serioux and Nick Garcia in separate trade deals, and signing an out-of-shape Ali Gerba.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/26/sp-toronto-fc.html

werewolf
10-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Playoff flop best thing for Toronto FC

I disagree. The issues with Mo are present, but if he just signed a contract extension, he isn't going to leave or be fired just because we didn't make the playoffs. Had we made the playoffs, it would give the team something to build on, instead we are starting from scratch, again.

It's like a new fad to say a bad thing happening is actually silver lining...US winning the World Cup is the best thing to happen to Canadian soccer...Limpact winning the Champions League is the best thing that could happen to TFC...sounds more like grasping at straws for positives in a negative situation.

p.s.

Dwayne De Rosario bagged a team-high 11 goals this season. When you're top goal-scorer is a midfielder, you know you have problems.

I think manchester did alright 2 years ago when they had Cron lead the team in goals.

Pigfynn
10-26-2009, 12:22 PM
John's latest. He calls like he sees it.

Hopefully Saturday night's capitulation will be the impetus for major change, and boy, does this franchise ever need an overhaul.
It starts at the top with general manager Mo Johnston.

Johnston knows the ins and outs of Major League Soccer's complicated salary cap system and has a proven track record of success in the MLS draft.

But the Scot has managed to build a grossly unbalanced team by making a slew of questionable moves over the past two years, among them trading for Chad Barrett and inking him to a contract extension, acquiring Adrian Serioux and Nick Garcia in separate trade deals, and signing an out-of-shape Ali Gerba.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/26/sp-toronto-fc.html

I want to know who these " paycheck first players" are. I want their names! Something very drastic and immediate should be done about this, if the club has any integrity at all it will act.

Send a message that you take the heart of this team atleast half as seriously as your supporters do!

felipe
10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
pretty good John - although I will argue that Gerba can be that goalscorer - just get him a target player to feed him; he's useless unless he gets the ball given to him in a scoring position - but if he does - the man can score goals

VPjr
10-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Amazing to see the breadth and depth of criticism of Mo. Not much dissent about it anywhere.

Today is like Christmas for me.

The stuff I've been saying about Mo for 2 years is finally showing up in print.

it is impossible to criticize most of what is written today. The facts are the facts. This organization is devoid of leadership in the soccer department and it translates into lack of leadership in the dressing room. The blame needs to be spread around but alot of responsibility for the failure must fall to the man who runs the soccer department with 100% control (and i don't mean Barry Maclean).

VPjr
10-26-2009, 12:37 PM
pretty good John - although I will argue that Gerba can be that goalscorer - just get him a target player to feed him; he's useless unless he gets the ball given to him in a scoring position - but if he does - the man can score goals

Ali likes cheeseburgers more than he likes to train (can't blame him...so do I but I make my living behind a desk, not as a footballer).

Ali will never be a good club player. He lacks the dedication to his craft and the willingness to sacrifice that is required.

Pigfynn
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Ali likes cheeseburgers more than he likes to train (can't blame him...so do I but I make my living behind a desk, not as a footballer).

Ali will never be a good club player. He lacks the dedication to his craft and the willingness to sacrifice that is required.

...and if even some of this is true (which I believe it is) he should be released today! TFC FO: Show this club's supporters, whom you claim are the best there is that you take this whole thing seriously. ACT!

felipe
10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
maybe we should just place cheeseburgers in the corners of the goals - or have Barrett run around the pitch with a fishing pole with a cheeseburger at the end of his line?

Beach_Red
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Today is like Christmas for me.

The stuff I've been saying about Mo for 2 years is finally showing up in print.

Well, as someone who had never heard of Mo before he took this job it's hardly Christmas for me - it's just another in a long line of management in Toronto.

As long as that's as high up the chain as we're looking, nothing will change. From Gord Stellick to John Ferguson Jr., to...

Once in a while they get someone who knows what they're doing (Cliff Fletcher), but they never let them push it over the top.

You know how people here keep saying no one really good will work for Mo? Well, if that's true...

JamboAl
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM

You hit it right on the head, VPjr. He started well at MK Dons but was probably drummed out for the same reason.

What ticks me off most is that he is potentially a useful striker and has scored for Canada more or less consistently. I hope he doesn't get the reward of getting called up for the Macedonia friendly; soooo lazy!

wzhxvy
10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Holy cow...everyone chiming in...lets see if Ansalmi is still disappointed or if he is actually going to do something about this now. Oh and if its true that MO signed a 3 year deal in secret behind closed doors, then Ansalmi's head should be on the block too for being bamboozled into doing that mid season and not announcing it. If its just MO leeking stuff to the press to solidify his position, then...no surprise.

TFC_Chris
10-26-2009, 01:29 PM

The problem with his article is that he cherry-picks the facts to support his arguments. Such as picking Cronin over Gonzalez, leaving out the fact that we drafted Julius James in 2008 in the first round and he was a complete bust. Out of the 7 defenders chosen in the first round that year only 3 have played more than 20 MLS games in 2 years.

His player rankings were a little better.

Jay P
10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
The problem with his article is that he cherry-picks the facts to support his arguments. Such as picking Cronin over Gonzalez, leaving out the fact that we drafted Julius James in 2008 in the first round and he was a complete bust. Out of the 7 defenders chosen in the first round that year only 3 have played more than 20 MLS games in 2 years.

His player rankings were a little better.

also, working w/ a guy like Bruce Arena cannot hurt either.

I just don't see Omar Gonzalez flourishing here in Toronto.

DOMIN8R
10-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Johnston And Players To Discuss Season

Reds will speak to the media on Tuesday morning

10/26/2009 3:06 PM
TorontoFC.ca

Toronto FC Manager, Director of Soccer Mo Johnston will talk to the media at BMO Field on Tuesday morning to discuss the 2009 season, and plans for 2010. The players arrived back in Toronto from New York yesterday afternoon and will be back at the stadium on Tuesday for end of season physicals and fitness testing. TorontoFC.ca will bring you the latest news from BMO Field throughout the day.

jloome
10-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Totally harsh on Wheeler. You obviously missed his other piece on the culture Mo has created at the club, which was bang on.

jloome
10-26-2009, 02:33 PM
You hit it right on the head, VPjr. He started well at MK Dons but was probably drummed out for the same reason.

What ticks me off most is that he is potentially a useful striker and has scored for Canada more or less consistently. I hope he doesn't get the reward of getting called up for the Macedonia friendly; soooo lazy!

Other way around. He sat on the bench at Dons for six months because he was too unfit and lazy. When he got fit, and they used him regularly, he scored 10 goals in 16 games.

VPjr
10-26-2009, 02:34 PM
OUTSTANDING piece by Kristian Jack at the Footy Show blog

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/10/26/29172.aspx

felipe
10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I thought so too...but I disagree (as ever) with the harshness shown Chad and Nick; everything else - bang on!

DOMIN8R
10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
You don't have to be an analyst with Mediatrack Research to see that some of the heavy hitters that cover Canadian soccer are weighing in against Mo. Like ensco posted already - it's a bit surprising how in agreement they are in pointing the finger at Mo.

Beach_Red
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
OUTSTANDING piece by Kristian Jack at the Footy Show blog

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/10/26/29172.aspx

Yes, a good one. I don't want to be an apologist for Jim Brennan but I think criticizing his captaincy is a little unfair. He took the job with an expansion team, something not many people want to do and he's still doing it three years later. That's too long to still not have upgraded the position.

James17930
10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, now we all see that Gerba is shite, but you can't necessarily blame Mo for signing him -- we all wanted it. It seemed like a good idea. Unless Mo had misgivings and bowed to the pressure -- then you could argue he shouldn't have.

Mo's made good signings and bad signings. Does one outweigh the other? If we get rid of the crud from this season, do we have a good enough core to move forward? That's the pertinent question.

wzhxvy
10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
I think what we are seeing is the collision of facts/reality with the long term dislike and mistrust people had with MO...

Most people didnt like MO but they never had a firm fact or reason not to like him...but now, the tide is turning. He better prep real well for his media session, he doesnt do too well in those situations.

JamboAl
10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Other way around. He sat on the bench at Dons for six months because he was too unfit and lazy. When he got fit, and they used him regularly, he scored 10 goals in 16 games.

Fair enough. The point still stands that he was not offered a new contract this season with the Dons even with a decent goal scoring record; he has to be one of the least motivated (and/or laziest) TFC players I've ever seen.

bgnewf
10-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Johnston And Players To Discuss Season

Reds will speak to the media on Tuesday morning

10/26/2009 3:06 PM
TorontoFC.ca

Toronto FC Manager, Director of Soccer Mo Johnston will talk to the media at BMO Field on Tuesday morning to discuss the 2009 season, and plans for 2010. The players arrived back in Toronto from New York yesterday afternoon and will be back at the stadium on Tuesday for end of season physicals and fitness testing. TorontoFC.ca will bring you the latest news from BMO Field throughout the day.

the following bloggers/journalists/talking heads/ink stained wretches need to be at this press conference tomorrow. And they need to ask the hard fucking questions...Come on boys, this will be about the only chance there will be to influence MLSE decision making between now and next season...

In no particular order:

Ben Knight
Jeff Blair
Steven Brunt
Paul James
Gareth Wheeler
Duane Rollins
Ben Rycroft
Kristian Jack
Ryan Johnston

The following can stay home as they are lightweights that will not ask any reasonably good questions...questions that need answering by the way!

Lee Godfrey
Daniel Girard
Gerry Dobson
Anybody from the National Post, TSN or mls.net

If Godrey gets called on and Blair does not for example I think it is incumbent for the club to seriously reevaluate its media relations strategies, and staffers that carry those strategies out.

Postscript: Is this being streamed???

johnmolinaro
10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Nobody get's "called on" at these things. you can ask whatever question you want, whenever you want. only real limitations are the ones the reporters put on themselves.

I'm heart-broken you didn't include me on your list.... :nonod:

John

the following bloggers/journalists/talking heads/ink stained wretches need to be at this press conference tomorrow. And they need to ask the hard fucking questions...Come on boys, this will be about the only chance there will be to influence MLSE decision making between now and next season...

In no particular order:

Ben Knight
Jeff Blair
Steven Brunt
Paul James
Gareth Wheeler
Duane Rollins
Ben Rycroft
Kristian Jack
Ryan Johnston

The following can stay home as they are lightweights that will not ask any reasonably good questions...questions that need answering by the way!

Lee Godfrey
Daniel Girard
Gerry Dobson
Anybody from the National Post, TSN or mls.net

If Godrey gets called on and Blair does not for example I think it is incumbent for the club to seriously reevaluate its media relations strategies, and staffers that carry those strategies out.

Postscript: Is this being streamed???

flatpicker
10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
^ an unintentional oversight on his part, I'm sure!

DOMIN8R
10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
He did it just to see if you were paying attention.

VPjr
10-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, now we all see that Gerba is shite, but you can't necessarily blame Mo for signing him -- we all wanted it.

How does the statement that TFC FANS (generally emotional, largely irrational beings when it comes to what their team needs) supposedly spoke as one and "wanted" certain players abdicate Mo of any responsibility for these players' inability to deliver results.

I don't manage a football club for a living but i knew, thanks to my measly contact network in soccer circles, and with the benefit of some common sense, that there are significant issues with Gerba. Its Mo's job to do the same legwork before handing out that contract. If he did that legwork, took the gamble and it fails, then its on Mo. If he didn't do that legwork and it fails, then Mo is even more to blame. A GM has to be judged by the players he brings into the fold. Trust me, if that guy scored 10 goals in 1/2 a season, Mo would be trumpeting his brilliant move. It cuts both ways folks.

Furthermore, there are plenty of players on this team that don't fall into the "TFC Fans demanded we get him" category.

Did the supporters "want" Chad Barrett to get a 2 year guaranteed deal when he had never shown himself to be a consistent performer?

Were the fans clamoring for washed up Nick Garcia?

Handing out a fat contract to Vitti based on 2 exhibition games played against reserve squads is another significant mistake (even though I really thought he might be able to contribute but proved unadaptable). I don't blame Mo for trying. I do question how much digging he did on this player before handing out a 300K contract (and I'm not talking about asking the people at his club in Argentina who were desperately trying to peddle this guy to anyone who was willing to bite).

In conclusion, fans have every right to WANT anyone who they believe will bring the team success. A manager can never hide behind the statement "I gave the fans what they wanted" because, ultimately, the fans want a winner. He has to filter through the noise made by supporters and make the decisions that were best for the organization, not the one that will appease the fans. WW2 should have shown that a policy of appeasement is doomed to failure (maybe not the best methaphor but I like it).

At the end of the days, its about the crest on the front of the shirt, not the name on the back of the shirt. The fans want to kiss the crest and be proud of their club. The GM's job is to give the club and its supporters the best chance to achieve that success.

Beach_Red
10-26-2009, 06:19 PM
In conclusion, fans have every right to WANT anyone who they believe will bring the team success. A manager can never hide behind the statement "I gave the fans what they wanted" because, ultimately, the fans want a winner. He has to filter through the noise made by supporters and make the decisions that were best for the organization, not the one that will appease the fans. WW2 should have shown that a policy of appeasement is doomed to failure (maybe not the best methaphor but I like it).

Okay, I used to hate the TFC-Maple Lafs comparisons, but fan appeasement is exactly how they've run the hockey team for years, so why are we surprised? It really is just business as usual for MLSE and fans fall for it.

(and the WW2 reference is pretty funny, so thanks for that :D).

CoachGT
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
What kind of scared me was the description Gord Stellick gave of Mo on the morning show on the fan590 today. Said that he's never been partial to Mo. He described his feelings about Mo by a comparison. Said that if Landry took over as a Canadian hockey guru in Austria, and whenever he needed players he'd just bring in one of his buddies from Canada, with the locals not knowing any better. Would have been a little after 7 this morning.

James17930
10-26-2009, 11:45 PM
How does the statement that TFC FANS (generally emotional, largely irrational beings when it comes to what their team needs) supposedly spoke as one and "wanted" certain players abdicate Mo of any responsibility for these players' inability to deliver results.

I don't manage a football club for a living but i knew, thanks to my measly contact network in soccer circles, and with the benefit of some common sense, that there are significant issues with Gerba. Its Mo's job to do the same legwork before handing out that contract. If he did that legwork, took the gamble and it fails, then its on Mo. If he didn't do that legwork and it fails, then Mo is even more to blame. A GM has to be judged by the players he brings into the fold. Trust me, if that guy scored 10 goals in 1/2 a season, Mo would be trumpeting his brilliant move. It cuts both ways folks.

Yeah, I know. Which is why in my original post I said (and you conveniently failed to quote):

"It seemed like a good idea. Unless Mo had misgivings and bowed to the pressure -- then you could argue he shouldn't have."

VPjr
10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I know. Which is why in my original post I said (and you conveniently failed to quote):

"It seemed like a good idea. Unless Mo had misgivings and bowed to the pressure -- then you could argue he shouldn't have."

I wasn't really trying to pick on you....I just hear that excuse "he gave us the players we wanted" far too often and it just carries no water.

Section 117
10-27-2009, 12:04 PM
If Mo was listening to us and basing his descision on tus then he definetely needs to go ....

But the real truth is a player is signed with First Wave he is more than likely going to play for TFC.

I hope Mo would have left, but we are stuck with him and we have 2.5 years of this shite

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I wasn't really trying to pick on you....I just hear that excuse "he gave us the players we wanted" far too often and it just carries no water.

If it was just TFC that would be one thing, but it is the way they run all their teams.

The part that's so frustrating is that's it working for them.

It's why I say constantly demanding that "___" be fired doesn't help. Eventually they do exactly that and replace him with another guy who is told to do exactly the same thing.