PDA

View Full Version : How much more should we put up with-Part II

v00d00daddy
10-25-2009, 10:32 PM
So here's a thread I started last year:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4817

It wasn't received very well at the time and turned into a festival of insults, eventually getting closed.

Let me be very clear here. I'm not suggesting a mass walk out or a jersey burning. I also don't need to hear about "a true supporter does this.....or bandwagon/glory hunter this and that".

If you want to shit on my style of support...start your own thread about it. I just want a calm, civilized discussion on whether or not we as supporters should use our voices to express our displeasure. I'm not trying to piss people off, so don't get offended.

Now...after TFC have shit the bed in fabulous style...will anything be organized by the supporters to show some discontent?

I'm wondering...are people upset enough to voice their opinions in a manner that makes it very clear that we, as supporters will not stand back and take this kind of performance.

I was hoping to do it pre-emptively, while it still carried some weight...(see this thread: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17802)

Unfortunately it's too late for this season but should it/could it be done for the start of next season?

Is there a point to doing something organized?

All I'm suggesting is some kind of display, during a game. A chant, a banner..something.

After losing 5-0 to the "worst team in the league" and extinguishing the flicker of a playoff chance that we had....is it finally time to say something?

Beach_Red
10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Maybe you could have some kind of demonstration at Blackberry and try to get Balsillie interested in soccer? MLSE would probably sell if the offer is good enough.

TFC07
10-25-2009, 11:14 PM
To be honest with you, if you want to hurt MLSE/TFC, then simply don't go to their games. The only language MLSE speaks and understand is money. If they're not making any money, they'll get off their asses and start making moves. It has worked for the Raptors (firing Rob Babcock and hiring BC) and I am sure it will work for TFC as well.

Boondaddy
10-25-2009, 11:15 PM
this topic has been hacked to death....basically, doing anything "negative" or "controversial" doesn't help the team in any way and may even be counter-productive during matches.

Our job is to support the boys on the field through thick and thin and help push them through to success. That is all we can do or should do.

Eventually, we will be rewarded and it will be sweet.

Torontotonto
10-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Maybe you could have some kind of demonstration at Blackberry and try to get Balsillie interested in soccer? MLSE would probably sell if the offer is good enough.

Great Idea...
We should all send him note to makeitseven.com, he didn't get the Coyotes. It would be pocket change to him compared to purchasing an NHL team. Wonder if he's been to a match.

Thanks for the memories DANNY :picard:

:flare::scarf::flare:

MUFC_Niagara
10-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Yay....protest....what a good idea, lets make the players feel even shittier them they already do. One would think that 4 1/2 months of thinking about this result would be enough but no, let's protest at one of our games. So just to recap:

Protests setup on the RPB board and involving RPB members:

1) Sack the CSA
2) Fuck the Argos
3) The protest where we didn't wear any TFC merch (forget what it was for)
4) Coming to a south end near you, the protest against the 5-0 in NY

4 protests in our short 3 year history.

Roogsy
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
None of those were "RPB" protests except for the black attire one...and how awful is that really? It would be really great if you got you facts straight and didn't blame everything under the sun on RPB and maybe understood that this is more than a RPB issue...supporters of all colours and sectors are upset...except you.

MUFC_Niagara
10-25-2009, 11:46 PM
None of those were "RPB" protests except for the black attire one...and how awful is that really? It would be really great if you got you facts straight and didn't blame everything under the sun on RPB and maybe understood that this is more than a RPB issue...supporters of all colours and sectors are upset...except you.

I never said I wasn't upset, of course I am. RPB members were involved in all of those protests and this board has been the staging area for them. I know lots of supporters who are upset but aren't calling for blood from everyone and their mother at MLSE, attempting to stage protests, or asking us to go to the airport to throw stuff at the players and spit on them.

Roogsy
10-25-2009, 11:57 PM
I never said I wasn't upset, of course I am. RPB members were involved in all of those protests and this board has been the staging area for them. I know lots of supporters who are upset but aren't calling for blood from everyone and their mother at MLSE, attempting to stage protests, or asking us to go to the airport to throw stuff at the players and spit on them.

And I know supporters elsewhere that say worse that are nowhere near this board...you are missing the point. What does that have anything to do with RPB? Stupidity here is also found elsewhere...and lots if not most of the posts made on this board are posted by non-members. What does that do to your anti-RPB slurs? If an RPB becomes a part of an action or a protest, it doesn't make it an RPB "event" or initiative. Calling it RPB is akin to calling ALL supporters in the stands "Red Patch Boys"...you can't accuse us of all the bad without giving credit for ALL the good as well. If you aren't willing to give us all the credit with absolutely everything good in the stands...then don't do so with the bad (or what you perceive to be bad).

We know you have an issue with the group...all I am asking is that you remain within the realm of actual facts instead of making stuff up and stretching the truth.

v00d00daddy
10-26-2009, 12:00 AM

Fine. You don't like the idea. What do you suggest?

Forget the season? Show up next April as if nothing happened?

Maybe the players do need to feel shittier than that already do.

For the record....I never suggested spitting on the players or any of the other shit you mentioned.

So....I'd really like to know....what will be your stance on gameday 1 in season 4?

Roogsy
10-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Niagara is good with standing pat I believe. The do-nothing approach has shown to work oh-so-well so far with us Leafs fans.

Keyman
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
A supporter is passionate about the team they support. That passion can come in the form of pure jubilation, or utter infuriation. Indifference in the stands is, in my opinion, unacceptable. This season is, well, the past. There is no reason to remind the players of the past when the slate is clean next season. However, if the current trend continues throughout next season, those who stand-pat can chose to do so, but I'll be voicing my displeasure rather boisterously in the stands, because I'm passionate about this team. I'm sure as a supporters group, the Red Patch Boys would handle the situation in a very similar manner. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Oldtimer
10-26-2009, 08:26 AM
If I were a Newcastle supporter, I would put up with a lot more than many TFC "supporters."

Impressive how they sang for their team, even as they were being relegated.

106-12
10-26-2009, 08:37 AM
It is all about money with MLSE. We have no choise we love the game,we love our team and we love our players and it is not fair to make them feel worst . some ofthem should not be here ? yes i agree .The only thing with making our point heard istargeting what they care about and that is $$$$ next year lets not buy any thing at the game NO BEER nothing nothing nothing no snacks they make lots of $$$ from that just astart ,how many $12 beer do they sell $5 slice of pizza and so and so

MUFC_Niagara
10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
If I were a Newcastle supporter, I would put up with a lot more than many TFC "supporters."

Exactly.

felipe
10-26-2009, 08:50 AM
That was a great thread last year...we have to bring back the personal insults - love 'em!

I'm gonna celebrate the start of next year by getting a brand new Barrett jersey and get giddy drinking my $15 beers and dream of a 30 win season.

Roogsy
10-26-2009, 08:54 AM

You will remember that they sang for their team until the very last minute....

But DID protest ownership and management.

Some people around here forget that you CAN do both.

Dave67
10-26-2009, 08:54 AM

But we're not them. We're not in a penis measuring contest with them for supporter supremity. We are a 3rd year club that just finished another turd of a season. Amazingly enough people are not up in arms and ready to organize and let the front office know Mo must go.

If there was one regular season game left I doubt the RPB would even have a protest banner to get Mo out of town. Just sing for the team. Happy faces everyone.

Bend over and prepare to take it again in season 4.

olegunnar
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM

I wonder if people here have different definitions of support and that is the problem with these threads.

To me it's about the city and the badge. Management and Players and Supporters represent the city and the badge.

Management and Player's aren't deities, they are caretakers. When they bring shame and embarassment on the badge they should hear about it. When they bring it glory they should hear about it too.

I'm pissed. Pissed because the caretakers (players and management) are fucking around with what I support....the badge.

Why do you think people make a big deal of kissing the badge? Why do you think supporters were up in arms when Management fucked around with the jersey to make some money off of cancer?

When they put on that jersey they represent the city, they represent us. If they do a bad job in representing us...they should hear about it.

There is a difference between a supporter and a fan boy...not sure that line is very clear here.
:scarf:

KrazyKanadian
10-26-2009, 09:07 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2463/3603694370_24faa6df84.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
10-26-2009, 09:07 AM
What do we do?

We're pissed. Let's just not turn on each other when times are tough.

^1 title

felipe
10-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I guess I'm a fanboy.

I only get really upset when a player isn't giving his all. And some players have more 'all' than others and should deliver it, all of the time -

If they play hard and lose - I can't fault that. Its hard to blame the guys on the field.

If most of the guys give up with 30 minutes left down 3-0 - I don't like it, but I understand it to a degree - and there was nothing on the bench that was gonna change the situation.

I don't really know where to correct the team - obviously there is some rot from within that irked Carver and then Cummins and nothing has been done about it - despite apparent promises.

First order of business should be to identify that problem and remove it. That might make all the difference. Is it Brennan? DeGuz? Amado? Barrett? Mo? Whoever it is, get rid of them, that might make the team better all by itself.

but other than that, we can't keep making changes for the sake of changing.

Continuity and consistency are key to success - continual rebuilding is pointless.

You can't throw out Mo or CC until you have a better replacement lined up.

I'm never gonna be Mo's biggest fan - but let's give him credit - 1) he knows the MLS inside and out, 2) he has contacts around the world and a keen eye for talent - look at the players he's brought in, 3) he's an accomplished trader and drafter - I don't think he's ever come out on the bad side in a trade.

And we all know his apparent shortcomings...

but I've seen progress again this year, I'm certainly not gonna get all up in arms and demand better. I've gotten better value, each and every year.

Is it really better to be Seattle?

Sure they have the playoffs, but we've 'enjoyed' Dichiogate, Carvergate, Andy Welsh, Marco Velez - first cherished and then run out of town, Laurent Robert, lazy cunt Cunny, water cooler Ruiz, Wynnes amazing runs and positioning, Poz and Harmse...the list goes on and on...I mean...fuck! Who loses 5-0 to the worse team in the history of the league in a must win game? Who does that? Seriously. You can't make that shit up.

You can't buy that kind off 'entertainment' - if anything, we're spoilt rotten. We have the most entertaining team in the league on and off the field.

I'm rambling here, but until Bill Archer buys the team or that american who bought Chester and ran them into the ground buys the team - I'll continue to appreciate whatever we do.

At least Its never boring.

KdotOdot
10-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, I am going to set myself on fire in front of BMO at the start of next season.

Who's with me?

trane
10-26-2009, 09:38 AM
^ I will watch, maybe bring some cevapi to roast. I will call the medics once they are done.

ManUtd4ever
10-26-2009, 09:55 AM
It is especially difficult to find any positives in this past season with the manner in which TFC self destructed in NY...I think MoJo has received both fair and undue criticism in the wake of the biggest letdown in franchise history. I still believe a seasoned coach would have definitely guided this squad into the playoffs as it is currently constructed but the air of dissention eminating from the TFC locker room cannot be ignored either. Unfortunately, none of us are aware of what promises were made or which players showed a lack of dedication in practice. Overall, I like the core group MoJo has assembled heading into the offseason and he should be given one more year to address the shortcomings of the roster and hire an experienced coach. If we are debating the same issues next season then without a doubt MoJo should be axed...

Hustle
10-26-2009, 09:58 AM
You can be pissed of with the team, and organize a protest and still bleed red. It should be expected. I see "protest support" on an equal footing with "regular support".

We need to always be loud and proud in the stands, but that shouldn't stop us from being able to spend 5 minutes at the beginning of a match with a protest to make a point. I will happy tell Mo to get his shit leadership skills together or get out and then lose my voice for 85 Minutes cheering the team on. It just has to be well organized so it can make a point.

If you read all the news articles out today....the media gets the point. And where do you think they get all there material from? They get it from our message boards after they filter out all the bullshit. We affect change more than you would think.

Dave67
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Well, I am going to set myself on fire in front of BMO at the start of next season.

Who's with me?

I'll bring the match :D

v00d00daddy
10-26-2009, 11:32 AM
You can be pissed of with the team, and organize a protest and still bleed red. It should be expected. I see "protest support" on an equal footing with "regular support".

We need to always be loud and proud in the stands, but that shouldn't stop us from being able to spend 5 minutes at the beginning of a match with a protest to make a point. I will happy tell Mo to get his shit leadership skills together or get out and then lose my voice for 85 Minutes cheering the team on. It just has to be well organized so it can make a point.

I totally agree. Especially about your first point.

v00d00daddy
10-26-2009, 11:37 AM

See...now why do you have to put supporters in quotations? Why do you have to hint that people who protest are not supporters?

There are many different view points on this subject.

Impressive that they sang while being relegated? Good for them. If that's how you want to be...good for you too.

Although...I don't see what Newcastle has to do with TFC?

Other than the fact that Newcastle is currently bad and we got our coaching staff from there.

MUFC_Niagara
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM
See...now why do you have to put supporters in quotations? Why do you have to hint that people who protest are not supporters?

There are many different view points on this subject.

Impressive that they sang while being relegated? Good for them. If that's how you want to be...good for you too.

Although...I don't see what Newcastle has to do with TFC?

Other than the fact that Newcastle is currently bad and we got our coaching staff from there.

1st place in the Championship and likely winning promotion is bad? Wow, what else does a team need to do!

v00d00daddy
10-26-2009, 10:18 PM
1st place in the Championship and likely winning promotion is bad? Wow, what else does a team need to do!

You really are a funny guy. Do you think Newcastle and their supporters are happy to be where they are? Why would they be?

MUFC_Niagara
10-26-2009, 10:21 PM
You really are a funny guy. Do you think Newcastle and their supporters are happy to be where they are? Why would they be?

At this point, they are happy yes. Why? Because they are going to be promoted. You see, they've accepted the fact they were shit last season and relegated and have moved forward. My geordie friend said to me the other day, "dodgy, owner, dodgy manager, dodgy players, it doesn't matter, we're going back up!!!"

swan
10-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I wonder if people here have different definitions of support and that is the problem with these threads.

To me it's about the city and the badge. Management and Players and Supporters represent the city and the badge.

Management and Player's aren't deities, they are caretakers. When they bring shame and embarassment on the badge they should hear about it. When they bring it glory they should hear about it too.

I'm pissed. Pissed because the caretakers (players and management) are fucking around with what I support....the badge.

Why do you think people make a big deal of kissing the badge? Why do you think supporters were up in arms when Management fucked around with the jersey to make some money off of cancer?

When they put on that jersey they represent the city, they represent us. If they do a bad job in representing us...they should hear about it.

There is a difference between a supporter and a fan boy...not sure that line is very clear here.
:scarf:

bingo

v00d00daddy
10-27-2009, 10:53 AM
At this point, they are happy yes. Why? Because they are going to be promoted. You see, they've accepted the fact they were shit last season and relegated and have moved forward. My geordie friend said to me the other day, "dodgy, owner, dodgy manager, dodgy players, it doesn't matter, we're going back up!!!"

And now, 3 days after TFC shit the bed worse than anyone could have expected, you've already moved on? You've put it behind you? You're already okay with what happened and looking forward to next year?

Really?

Or are you just being a shit disturber?

VPjr
10-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Supporters of Lazio have come up with their own unique way to show the team (players/management) what they think of their poor performances.

http://golposts.com/details.php?articleID=691

TFC OZZ
10-27-2009, 11:50 AM
And now, 3 days after TFC shit the bed worse than anyone could have expected, you've already moved on? You've put it behind you? You're already okay with what happened and looking forward to next year?

Really?

Or are you just being a shit disturber?

I can tell you right now that as a life-long Newcastle Supporter, and TFC fan since inception, that ya I've completely accepted that we were shit last season and I've moved on. Why? Because there's no sense bitching about the past; and to be honest, we were shit last season. Am I upset TFC shit the bed against NYRB to make the playoffs? Yeah. Do I think we can improve next season, hell yeah. Do I want the management to change at both clubs? Yeah, I do. Am I gonna act any differently while I'm at the games? Fuck No.

CoachGT
10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I’m no happier with the result than most, and I understand the desire to do something, anything, to give that displeasure a voice. But that won’t do much, not even make me feel better. Either in the short or long term.

I want to see what is being done by the team. The media has got the message, loud and clear. Now the question is has the team heard it?

The players who we want to stick around probably feel it as much as or perhaps more than us. It isn’t easy to work all year and then fail. Miserably. Disappoint the fans (and yes, this means something to them). Disappoint the people they care about. Not one of the players nor coaches wanted to do anything less than the best job they could, and in this case it was not good enough.

The actions of the team will speak for the time being. There is precious little that we can do right now to influence. Marching on BMO offices? That will create a hassle for security and some suits, but probably not the ones who need to hear it most. Email campaign? Too easy to hit the delete key, and after the first few messages, further messages will be ignored. Withhold purchases? From what? I’d expect off season sales of merchandise to be much slower than during the season, and no point in concessions. Something at a Leaf or Raptors game? Would create something of a curiosity, but don’t expect the regular fans to join in.

Perhaps something at the draft? Now we’re getting a little closer, but again, it depends upon the actions of the team. Cummins is now gone. Fine, expected. Regardless of Mo, it will now start with a new coach. And the personnel on the field. We know some will be returning and some will be gone. A culture shift on the team is necessary. It was there in some form at the beginning of the year – the messages coming out were pretty clear – enough of the expansion stuff, time now to win. That got sidetracked by any number of distractions throughout the year.

“We deserve better” means something to us. It does to the team as well. You have to think that getting put out of the Champions League cost MLSE at least a couple of million in lost revenue from home games. As did the failure to make the playoffs. The pocketbook has already been hit, so there isn’t much that can be done to drive that point home any more than it already has been.

I’ll wait it out for a little while, but if things don’t go in the right direction after what happened this past weekend, and soon, then we can find something suitable to do to make a point.

Whoop
10-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree with those who say we must do something and those who say we support our team. Can't argue with that.

The best way to get their attention is to not renew. But that won't happen.

My only concern with protest this and protest that is that at what point are we just the boy who cries wolf all the time?

But on the flipside, I think it's always been warranted.

Whatever happens, people have to be decisive and united. Unfortunately that will never happen so we just keep fluttering in the wind.

menefreghista
10-27-2009, 12:08 PM
The best way to get their attention is to not renew. But that won't happen

Its already to late to even do that. The renewal deadline was Oct. 16. I can't think of too many professional sports organizations that force their season seat holders to renew before the season is up. Its like the people running TFC know they run the team like shit and they want to trap you in before you might have your decision affected by stuff like not making the playoffs.

Remember, a lot of sport is selling hope to your fans. Its hard to have hope for your team when an idiot continues to run it, and is rewarded with a contract extension.

What a nightmare.

Whoop
10-27-2009, 12:09 PM
The contract extension was known about in August.

v00d00daddy
10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I’m no happier with the result than most, and I understand the desire to do something, anything, to give that displeasure a voice. But that won’t do much, not even make me feel better. Either in the short or long term.

I want to see what is being done by the team. The media has got the message, loud and clear. Now the question is has the team heard it?

The players who we want to stick around probably feel it as much as or perhaps more than us. It isn’t easy to work all year and then fail. Miserably. Disappoint the fans (and yes, this means something to them). Disappoint the people they care about. Not one of the players nor coaches wanted to do anything less than the best job they could, and in this case it was not good enough.

The actions of the team will speak for the time being. There is precious little that we can do right now to influence. Marching on BMO offices? That will create a hassle for security and some suits, but probably not the ones who need to hear it most. Email campaign? Too easy to hit the delete key, and after the first few messages, further messages will be ignored. Withhold purchases? From what? I’d expect off season sales of merchandise to be much slower than during the season, and no point in concessions. Something at a Leaf or Raptors game? Would create something of a curiosity, but don’t expect the regular fans to join in.

Perhaps something at the draft? Now we’re getting a little closer, but again, it depends upon the actions of the team. Cummins is now gone. Fine, expected. Regardless of Mo, it will now start with a new coach. And the personnel on the field. We know some will be returning and some will be gone. A culture shift on the team is necessary. It was there in some form at the beginning of the year – the messages coming out were pretty clear – enough of the expansion stuff, time now to win. That got sidetracked by any number of distractions throughout the year.

“We deserve better” means something to us. It does to the team as well. You have to think that getting put out of the Champions League cost MLSE at least a couple of million in lost revenue from home games. As did the failure to make the playoffs. The pocketbook has already been hit, so there isn’t much that can be done to drive that point home any more than it already has been.

I’ll wait it out for a little while, but if things don’t go in the right direction after what happened this past weekend, and soon, then we can find something suitable to do to make a point.

I see your point Coach. For what it's worth....I think a well worded chant (or lack of chants all together) or banner would go a long way in letting the team know how we feel. I don't like the idea of boycotting anything because it's not about effecting change. Its about having your voice heard.

For those of you who say that the silent treatment during a game (or something along those lines) won't do anything... I have a question:

If not chanting won't do anything...what exactly does chanting do?

It goes both ways ladies and gents. Believe me...if we started the first home game of next season in silence, they would take notice.

No screaming out the players names during the intro. No chanting during the game at all....until the 23:13 mark...where we break the silence and sing for Dichio. Just a suggestion off the top of my head.

TFC OZZ
10-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I see your point Coach. For what it's worth....I think a well worded chant (or lack of chants all together) or banner would go a long way in letting the team know how we feel. I don't like the idea of boycotting anything because it's not about effecting change. Its about having your voice heard.

For those of you who say that the silent treatment during a game (or something along those lines) won't do anything... I have a question:

If not chanting won't do anything...what exactly does chanting do?

It goes both ways ladies and gents. Believe me...if we started the first home game of next season in silence, they would take notice.

No screaming out the players names during the intro. No chanting during the game at all....until the 23:13 mark...where we break the silence and sing for Dichio. Just a suggestion off the top of my head.

:picard:

Pretty sure they don't have Down's Syndrome, I think they know how we feel; and I'm pretty sure they feel a hell of a lot worse.

v00d00daddy
10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
:picard:

Pretty sure they don't have Down's Syndrome, I think they know how we feel; and I'm pretty sure they feel a hell of a lot worse.

Nice...and such a classy way to say it.

So you're sure they know how we feel, are you?

What have we done to tell them how we feel?

Cheer every game. Check
Fawn over them at every opportunity. Check
Travel 1000's of miles to cheer for them on the road. Check.
Wait for them after the games to get pictures with them. Check.

So please tell me how this translates into them knowing that we're pissed off.

And for the record...I sure as hell hope they feel worse but I don't believe it. Where have they been since the loss..or more importantly...where were they after the loss. The only two guys who had the balls to say anything were Edwards and Cronin.

Are they so upset that they couldn't apologize or take responsibility for laying that egg...or is it that they don't care nearly as much as we give them credit for?

Either way..it's time to stop hugging the child that just slapped you in the face. It's time for a "timeout" at the very least. Some would suggest that it's time for a spanking. (if you get the whole parenting analogy...lol)

Oldtimer
10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I can tell you right now that as a life-long Newcastle Supporter, and TFC fan since inception, that ya I've completely accepted that we were shit last season and I've moved on. Why? Because there's no sense bitching about the past; and to be honest, we were shit last season. Am I upset TFC shit the bed against NYRB to make the playoffs? Yeah. Do I think we can improve next season, hell yeah. Do I want the management to change at both clubs? Yeah, I do. Am I gonna act any differently while I'm at the games? Fuck No.

Spoken like a true Newcastle & TFC supporter.

Azerban
10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
time to bust out some harsh truth: nothing will happen because no one here has any real power or influence

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 03:50 PM

I like the idea of the silent treatment. How about if we only make noise when the team is winning? Silence anytime they are losing.

Whoop
10-27-2009, 03:51 PM
time to bust out some harsh truth: nothing will happen because no one here has any real power or influence

Half right.

Mainly it's because everyone has their own opinion, they think their opinion is the most right so nothing is concentrated and in the end it's all disjointed.

Azerban
10-27-2009, 03:51 PM
yup, gonna get everyone to be silent

for my next trick, i will be herding cats

Azerban
10-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Half right.

Mainly it's because everyone has their own opinion, they think their opinion is the most right so nothing is concentrated and in the end it's all disjointed.

nah it's because even if you add all 3 of the large groups together it's only a tiny fraction of the crowd and mostly cheap seats at that. we're just the loud minority.

TFC FO pays us lip service because that's all it takes to keep the majority of us quiet and content, and talk is cheap.

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 04:00 PM
yup, gonna get everyone to be silent

for my next trick, i will be herding cats

"You bring in a herd of domestic longhairs, that's doing something."

Do you think that MLSE has ever reacted to fan pressure for any of its moves? TFC is quite young, so it's hard to judge, but even, have you seen anything you would call reacting to fans' pressure?

Ifyou follow the Leafs would you say they have ever reacted to fan demands?

Super
10-27-2009, 04:08 PM
"You bring in a herd of domestic longhairs, that's doing something."

Do you think that MLSE has ever reacted to fan pressure for any of its moves? TFC is quite young, so it's hard to judge, but even, have you seen anything you would call reacting to fans' pressure?

Ifyou follow the Leafs would you say they have ever reacted to fan demands?

We can only hope that the season ticket renewal rate is shockingly low this time around. I seriously doubt it, but that would be the ONLY thing that could potentially change the minds of MLSE about TFC and its current direction.

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 04:21 PM
We can only hope that the season ticket renewal rate is shockingly low this time around. I seriously doubt it, but that would be the ONLY thing that could potentially change the minds of MLSE about TFC and its current direction.

Here's what I mean. When I first moved to from Montreal to Toronto I saw Leaf fans get a hate on for Larry Murphy. I couldn't understand it, the guy was a solid defenseman, but the fans were positive HE was the problem on the team. And so the team traded him away. And he won two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings.

Since then I've seen that kind of thing with the Leafs many times. Fan favourites (usually those, "hard working Canadian boys," third line players at best) get rewarded with big contracts. I didn't want to think it would be the same with TFC but I've now realized it's the management strategy of MLSE (and, to be honest, most corporate-owned sports teams these days. Back in the 70's it would have been unimaginable for the Canadiens to trade someone just becsause the fans were pissed off. But now, who knows?)

So, MLSE will likely continue to change personel when fans demand it, but they won't change "direction," because that's not what the fans demand.

We just had a poll on here about what players to keep and we wanted to keep everyone except Garcia. It's very weird.

jloome
10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Here's what I mean. When I first moved to from Montreal to Toronto I saw Leaf fans get a hate on for Larry Murphy. I couldn't understand it, the guy was a solid defenseman, but the fans were positive HE was the problem on the team. And so the team traded him away. And he won two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings.

Since then I've seen that kind of thing with the Leafs many times. Fan favourites (usually those, "hard working Canadian boys," third line players at best) get rewarded with big contracts. I didn't want to think it would be the same with TFC but I've now realized it's the management strategy of MLSE (and, to be honest, most corporate-owned sports teams these days. Back in the 70's it would have been unimaginable for the Canadiens to trade someone just becsause the fans were pissed off. But now, who knows?)

So, MLSE will likely continue to change personel when fans demand it, but they won't change "direction," because that's not what the fans demand.

We just had a poll on here about what players to keep and we wanted to keep everyone except Garcia. It's very weird.

You need to go back and reread that poll.

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 04:39 PM
You need to go back and reread that poll.

It's true, it was driving me crazy early on and I haven't checked it in a while.:D

But it's a common theme here that people rate our players too highly. That's to be expected with supporters - it just shoudn't be the way the team is run.

jloome
10-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I think RPB have lost track of how much clout they have. Sure, you're the "cheap seat minority" or something like that (from another thread) but when that party club-love atmosphere disappears, the fairweather fans will go with it.

I'm not suggesting people stop supporting at games, just that RPB have much more pull in this than has been exercised to date.

Hustle
10-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I think RPB have lost track of how much clout they have. Sure, you're the "cheap seat minority" or something like that (from another thread) but when that party club-love atmosphere disappears, the fairweather fans will go with it.

I'm not suggesting people stop supporting at games, just that RPB have much more pull in this than has been exercised to date.

+1!!

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 04:53 PM

I think you're right. That's what I was trying to say in my Larry Murphy post. MLSE reacts to the supporters.

So the supporters have to do more than demand this guy or that get traded or fired. That's easy and MLSE will give in on those sooner or later.

Demand winning. And don't give them any easy outs.

v00d00daddy
10-27-2009, 05:00 PM
okay then. i guess people don't like this idea all that much.

I really thought that RPB and U-Sector being quiet for 15-20 minutes was possible...and I thought that people would take notice.

Status quo I guess.

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 05:08 PM
okay then. i guess people don't like this idea all that much.

I really thought that RPB and U-Sector being quiet for 15-20 minutes was possible...and I thought that people would take notice.

Status quo I guess.

Don't be so quick to give up on it, it's a good idea.

The problem with the home opener is that it will be the third game of the season? What if the team wins the first two (hey, I can still dream ;)), or even wins one and ties one like last year? In that case it would be very tough to be silent - what would it be protesting?

But if the supporters refused to sing or chant or make any noise while the team is losing - anytime they're losing - that would get noticed. Because the goal isn't making personel changes, is it? The goal is winning.

So, no, don't give up on the idea yet.

Azerban
10-27-2009, 05:24 PM

i'd love for it to be proved, 'til then it's completely hypothetical

v00d00daddy
10-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't be so quick to give up on it, it's a good idea.

The problem with the home opener is that it will be the third game of the season? What if the team wins the first two (hey, I can still dream ;)), or even wins one and ties one like last year? In that case it would be very tough to be silent - what would it be protesting?

But if the supporters refused to sing or chant or make any noise while the team is losing - anytime they're losing - that would get noticed. Because the goal isn't making personel changes, is it? The goal is winning.

So, no, don't give up on the idea yet.

I know what you mean but I don't like the idea of being quiet when they're losing.

I totally understand how hard it might be to do it at the start of the season because they could be doing well by the time our first home game comes around.

That's why this should have been done after the SJ game this year. The problem is always timing because there will always be those who say "this is when they need us most".

That's the hard part. Getting everyone on the same page. I just thought that the result in NY would have resulted in everyone being pissed off but I guess I was wrong.

Some people have already put it behind them and are ready for next year.

I just can't wrap my head around that but hey, to each his/her own I guess.

This idea is dead. If people don't want to voice their displeasure after that performance on the weekend...they probably never will.

Brooker
10-27-2009, 05:41 PM
this topic has been hacked to death....basically, doing anything "negative" or "controversial" doesn't help the team in any way and may even be counter-productive during matches.

Our job is to support the boys on the field through thick and thin and help push them through to success. That is all we can do or should do.

Eventually, we will be rewarded and it will be sweet.

simple and to the point. agree with you 100%

lock this thread up before it gets even more embarrassing.

Beach_Red
10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
I know what you mean but I don't like the idea of being quiet when they're losing.

I totally understand how hard it might be to do it at the start of the season because they could be doing well by the time our first home game comes around.

That's why this should have been done after the SJ game this year. The problem is always timing because there will always be those who say "this is when they need us most".

That's the hard part. Getting everyone on the same page. I just thought that the result in NY would have resulted in everyone being pissed off but I guess I was wrong.

Some people have already put it behind them and are ready for next year.

I just can't wrap my head around that but hey, to each his/her own I guess.

This idea is dead. If people don't want to voice their displeasure after that performance on the weekend...they probably never will.

It should have been done after the home opener. DURING the home opener, that game was awful.

Well, you have to find out from people what they're really angry about - losing or who's running the team? I'm starting to get the feeling people don't really care how the team is doing as long as it's run by someone they like.

king dave
10-27-2009, 05:59 PM
If the team does some meet/greet/pub crawls like previous years, and I highly doubt they will at this point, I would encourage everyone to not attend any of these events.
KD.

Huyton
10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm not that crazy about being quiet when we're losing.

That is precisely the time that the team needs us.

It also tells the other team that they can only dream of playing for supporters like us.

I want TFC to be known for support like:
Newcastle United at the end of last season singing for their team on the final day;
Manchester United fans showing up 50,000 strong in old Division 2 in the '70's; and
Liverpool fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone at half time in the 2005 Champions League Final.

Am I pissed off? Oh yeah...but I'm also a proud member of the best "12th man" in the MLS...I'll do my part.

It's time for the front office to do theirs.

CoachGT
10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm okay with the concept of staying quiet for a short period (through to 23:13 perhaps) and then bringing it. Sends a message. But if the guys on the field are not the same guys that finished the season (and despite Mo's comment that the anticipates only 3 or 4 changes, I can see several more in the cards) then it may not have the desired impact. A couple of well worded banners would certainly help!

TFC OZZ
10-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm not that crazy about being quiet when we're losing.

That is precisely the time that the team needs us.

It also tells the other team that they can only dream of playing for supporters like us.

I want TFC to be known for support like:
Newcastle United at the end of last season singing for their team on the final day;
Manchester United fans showing up 50,000 strong in old Division 2 in the '70's; and
Liverpool fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone at half time in the 2005 Champions League Final.

Am I pissed off? Oh yeah...but I'm also a proud member of the best "12th man" in the MLS...I'll do my part.

It's time for the front office to do theirs.

+1

Spoken like a TRUE SUPPORTER.

London
10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
for me , road trips are up in the air

kaos197O
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
If we are going to do a banner it should be just like the one we did for Dichio (covering entire south end)and it should be unveiled for the first game of the 2010 season and subsequently following games in which we throw up one or more stinkers in a row, accompanied by the most intense chanting and support the club has ever experienced, with banner to read "ALL FOR ONE" or "ONE FOR ALL" or both!

MUFC_Niagara
10-27-2009, 08:51 PM
We need to make another embarrasing "We Deserve Butter" banner. That'll show'em!

v00d00daddy
10-27-2009, 10:40 PM
We need to make another embarrasing "We Deserve Butter" banner. That'll show'em!

Keep 'em coming. The more sarcastic and childish you become the less your weight your opinion carries.

And from a quick search I can see that you're beating your "true supporter" garbage in a bunch of threads.

v00d00daddy
10-27-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm okay with the concept of staying quiet for a short period (through to 23:13 perhaps) and then bringing it. Sends a message. But if the guys on the field are not the same guys that finished the season (and despite Mo's comment that the anticipates only 3 or 4 changes, I can see several more in the cards) then it may not have the desired impact. A couple of well worded banners would certainly help!

True enough about the new players. That's why this should have been done after the stinker they put up at home against SJ.

Now it's too late because by the start of next season this whole shitty experience will be but a distant memory.

I just wonder how much of this people are willing to put up with.

Whoop
10-27-2009, 11:03 PM
True enough about the new players. That's why this should have been done after the stinker they put up at home against SJ.

Now it's too late because by the start of next season this whole shitty experience will be but a distant memory.

I just wonder how much of this people are willing to put up with.

I agree with your sentiment in general about doing something but the players said they got a boost from the crowd in the game against RSL.

And the team was still fighting for a playoff spot, so no, not at the juncture.

TFC OZZ
10-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Keep 'em coming. The more sarcastic and childish you become the less your weight your opinion carries.

And from a quick search I can see that you're beating your "true supporter" garbage in a bunch of threads.

Here's a great idea. Why don't you not renew your season tickets? THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!!

Hopefully someone who wants to go to the game to cheer the team on will take your place.

v00d00daddy
10-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Here's a great idea. Why don't you not renew your season tickets? THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!!

Hopefully someone who wants to go to the game to cheer the team on will take your place.

I was pissed when I first read this post but then I did a quick search of your recent posts and i learned all I need to know about you so I won't even bother.

DichioTFC
10-28-2009, 09:48 PM
My $0.02 about *sigh* protesting again..

In the end, for better or for worse, we want TFC to win and get results. Without further elaboration, thats the consensus bottom line. These are Toronto FC's results from the year:

Toronto FC 2009 Home Record: 8-3-4, 28 points, +6 goal differential
Toronto FC 2009 Away Record: 2-8-5, 11 points, -15 goal differential

Change one of those away losses to a win, and we're in the playoffs. And if you want to stick it to MLSE, going to the away games supports the team but does not put a single dollar into ML$E's bank account.

2010 is going to be the Toronto FC American tour for me. I want to see the team succeed no matter what, and if that means going to Seattle or Houston, then dammit I'm there.