johnmolinaro
10-25-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/10/toronto_fcs_playoff_failure_is.html

John
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

ArmenJBX
10-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Sigh...

A stranger walked up to me when he saw my TFC touque. He asked me if we won, if we're in.

I had to tell him we lost 5-0 to NYRB and we're subsequently eliminated. He just looked down and walked away, shaking his head.

Don't you just love this city :(

DOMIN8R
10-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Once again, an excellent read provided by de Vos.

Nuvinho
10-25-2009, 07:43 PM
does DeVos want to suit up next year?? He'd be better than most of what we have back there.

TFC Cityboy
10-25-2009, 07:46 PM
^^very true.

Redpunkfiddle
10-25-2009, 07:54 PM
does DeVos want to suit up next year?? He'd be better than most of what we have back there.

He's mentioned half jokingly he'd love to play, but his back is done.

v00d00daddy
10-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I think that DeVos is right but TFC just don't have the horses to do this.

"The only ones who can change that are the players themselves, the leaders on this team. Guys like De Rosario, Brennan and Robinson. They need to sit everyone down in that dressing room, lock the doors and lay down the law."

That's all nice to say, but how the fuck can you expect players to respect the opinions of guys like Robbo and Brennan? I know you don't have to be the best player on the team to be a leader. I get that. But you know what? You need to be among the best players for sure. If you're going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk.

If I'm JDG or Guevara or Cronin....how am I going to react to Jimmy Brennan telling me what to do or bitching me out for a mistake I made on the field?

This is not about egos, it's about common sense.

Take a guy like Guevara for instance.

The club (Anselmi and the brass), Mo, Cummins, the media that covers TFC (Wileman/Nigel), and the supporters all look at a guy like Carl Robinson or Jim Brennan and say:

"this is the type of player we want you to be".

This is our captain....this is our player of the year.

What message does that send to a guy like Guevara?

I'll tell you.

As long as you have heart, determination and will "bleed red" (lol) than you're more than okay in my books. In fact, you're my favourite. I don't give a shit about how "good" you are.

Than you wonder why the players don't like each other?

VPjr
10-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Well done Jason....can't argue with a single word. I'm not convinced Brennan is really one of the team's leaders but he wears the armband so I'll go with Jason's assessment that he is one of the people who should be organizing those closed door sessions.

felipe
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
good read Jason - agree wholeheartedly

Dbl_D
10-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Garcia, CC gone... Dero captain sorry Jimmy b your a backup defender u cant wear the band from the bench... Robbo if he wants it moving to the Central D for a year or so til he calls it quits a stretch but hes got some skill...

I don't understand the 'playing for your spot' mentality when Brennan completely chumps it game after game always tons of time to control the ball but time after time he boots it in the stands... obviously the playing for the spot doesn't matter when your wearing the arm band

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Garcia, CC gone... Dero captain sorry Jimmy b your a backup defender u cant wear the band from the bench... Robbo if he wants it moving to the Central D for a year or so til he calls it quits a stretch but hes got some skill...

I don't understand the 'playing for your spot' mentality when Brennan completely chumps it game after game always tons of time to control the ball but time after time he boots it in the stands... obviously the playing for the spot doesn't matter when your wearing the arm band

DeRo capt?:facepalm: please...where was he in the biggest in the young franchise history in Giants stadium AWOL ( like the rest) sorry any potential capt must have the balls to have a got at the team on field when things turn sour? did he do that...? NO just played out the minutes like everyone
else....Make Frei captain..he seems to care enough to shout out at players when needed...

Dbl_D
10-26-2009, 05:23 PM
DeRo capt?:facepalm: please...where was he in the biggest in the young franchise history in Giants stadium AWOL ( like the rest) sorry any potential capt must have the balls to have a got at the team on field when things turn sour? did he do that...? NO just played out the minutes like everyone
else....Make Frei captain..he seems to care enough to shout out at players when needed...

Ill give you that mighty, Frei's a good choice but I don't think he'll be around too much longer... just figured Dero might start playing if he was Captain, I think he would be the guy to care if he had the arm band... since deguz has stolen the limelight as top Canadian...

VPjr
10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
^ DeRo has never been captain of anything, if memory serves.

maninb
10-27-2009, 12:53 PM
^ DeRo has never been captain of anything, if memory serves.

and the way DeRo threw his team-mates under the bus after the match won't endear him to anybody on TFC...he's far too selfish to be a Captain...

Roogsy
10-27-2009, 12:55 PM
I have to agree that I don't see DeRo as the captain. As big a fan as I am of the player, I don't think his qualities are to lead the team as their speaker, but rather he leads by example. I have always admired players who were captains of their teams and were respected not because they were the best player on the pitch, but because they embodied what every player on the team should aspire to be regardless of skill level.

Whoop
10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Agree with Roogsy.

DeRo is not captain material.

Which brings up another problem.

Who is the "captain" of the team?

Roogsy
10-27-2009, 01:06 PM
I guess it depends on who is here come the first game. For all we know, we are going to get another session of "trader Mo" and we will have another turnaround of 50%. Certainly that is no way to build a team. What writer mentioned this in their article? I forget. Something about the crappy Columbus team that finished with 37 points one year is remarkablyi similar to the one that won the whole thing last year and is making a run this year?

If you turn your team inside-out every year like we have been doing, you're not building anything, you're starting from scratch every year.

Whoop
10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Stability is important in any team in any league.

Hugh Jazz
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Noticing how many times DeRo says "I" in his interview today is a pretty good indicator of what kind of captain he'd make.

greatwhitenorf
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Gor'blessya Roogsy, you can speculate 'til the cows come home about how things will work next year.

But start by taking time to take stock of DeRo's role in the Scarboro Soccer Mafia that's really running the show here. DeRo, JDG, Serioux working together are all going to have a big say in how this team's operates in future. And Brennan has that East York connection that marginally lumps him in with them.

Player power is what runs tings these days and Mo better know that his most vital and expensive players are gonna tell him what needs doing. Not the other way 'round. Otherwise, Mo might as well forget about lasting past year 4.

greatwhitenorf
10-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice of DeVos to get all gnarly once the season is over and TFC are out of it. Easy to be critical but as one commenter on his column pointed out, he doesn't name names or get too specific who screwed up. I agree ex-players who become broadcasters or writers have trouble letting go and are afraid to piss off their old teammates or opponents. Maybe their scared of burning their bridges with contacts.

Liked these remarks:

"Your a media member now, sunshine. Blame and Shame is the name of the game.
Words like 'some of those players' don't cut it.

Generic criticism serves no purpose. Soccer fans don't need another Paul James serving tepid porridge for punditry. Write the way you played and you'll have credibility. Otherwise, the Kangaroo Court of Public Opinion will have you marked down as another puppet for Maple Loafs Shame and Embarrasment."