PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Sunday,Oct.25.

denime
10-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Mornin'
Welcome to the first edition of Off-season Today's News.

Canada's soccer shame (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/canadas-soccer-shame/article1337253/)

TFC washed out in Big Apple (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-washed-out-in-big-apple/article1337252/)

Toronto FC eliminated from playoff chase (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/24/sp-soccer-tfc-redbulls.html)

TFC flops in bid for playoff spot (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/10/25/11517876-sun.html)

Playoff Race Ends With Massive Defeat (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091024&content_id=7541910&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Cummins, Players Address Disastrous Night (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091025&content_id=7543396&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

ForestGlade
10-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Morning D, thanks for doing this all season

London
10-25-2009, 08:50 AM
all the headlines you need to see are courtesy of KD

TFC SHITS BED

CretanBull
10-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks D, all season long I've read the articles that you've posted - it's appreciated!

scooter
10-25-2009, 08:53 AM
mornin d

tks for your efforts all season -- top notch -- to bad tfc isnt

denime
10-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys,now we have a long off season in front of us.
I'm sure(hope)there will be some good TFC news during upcoming winter.

DOMIN8R
10-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you Dennis. It's very important what you do for us.

On another note, I found the follwing very interesting.....

“I want to see more heart on this team,” DeRosario said, then asked: “How do you teach that? You tell me. I could have came in here and kicked everything down but what’s that going to prove. I’ve done it many times and there’s been no response. Been there and done that.”

...according to Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment executive vice-president and chief operating officer Tom Anselmi one change will definitely not be made: Johnston will be back. Please keep the cheering down to a dull roar.

Cummins – who took over for John Carver in April - chuckled and said: “Listen, I was asked to come in and do a job until the end of the season and that’s what I’ve done. I’ve made mistakes all the way, the same as everyone else. Will I be here next year? Listen, there’s a fair chance I won’t be. My family’s back in the UK and I need to be near my family. They came out with me when I first came out and unfortunately there was things promised me that I didn’t get at the end of it.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/canadas-soccer-shame/article1337253/

Pookie
10-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for posting.

2 very different "spins." In "Canada's Soccer Shame", Jeff Blair writes:

TFC has drafted well and made some decent acquisitions and added two premier Canadian-born players in DeGuzman and DeRosario. But there’s no evidence that Mo Johnston, manager of soccer, has what it takes to lift TFC to the next level and dissatisfaction with Johnston is rampant not just among the fan-base but also around the team.

Yet according to Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment executive vice-president and chief operating officer Tom Anselmi one change will definitely not be made: Johnston will be back. Please keep the cheering down to a dull roar.

In Douglas McIntyre's, MLSnet article... the one posted on TFC website... he sets up a different fall guy:

But it wasn't to be, and Cummins admitted that he might take the fall because of it.

"I was asked to come in a do a job until the end of the season, and that's what I've done," he said. "I've made mistakes along the way -- of course I have. Same as everyone else. Will I be here next year? Listen, there's a fair chance I wont be."

Still, Cummins, who was named Reds interim boss in April when John Carver resigned, insisted that TFC is heading in the right direction, regardless if he'll be a part of its future or not.

billyfly
10-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Well, there goes my excuse for excessive drinking. See ya next year liver.

CretanBull
10-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Imagine if Brian Burke put together a team made up only of left-wingers and everyone blamed Ron Wilson for not being able to coach the team to victories....

v00d00daddy
10-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Imagine if Brian Burke put together a team made up only of left-wingers and everyone blamed Ron Wilson for not being able to coach the team to victories....

I partly agree with this but here is one problem (among many) that TFC has always had.

TFC inflates the importance of their mediocre players and stifles their best players.

TFC (management, coaching staff and supporters) have made players like Jim Brennan, Carl Robinson and Marvell Wynne focal points with this team. Guys that you just can't win with, with them at the helm. These guys should be soldiers for you. They should be taking orders, not giving them.

If this team had been built around a player like Amado Guevara or now, JDG, you could have a bunch of "left wingers" so to speak, and still be successful.

The problem is that TFC is reluctant to play this way. TFC doesn't want to look like Seattle who, in their first season, built a ball possession based team and have found success. TFC is stuck in 1985. Kick and run...pace, pace, pace...bullshit.

The reason: Mo Johnston and whoever the hell it was that hired him.

sorry...should have just said that i kind of agree with you Cretan. :D First rant of many, I'm sure. lol

Mark in Ottawa
10-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey D. Thanks for keeping us all "in the Loop" this season...
even if we did sometimes envision that loop as a noose of sorts :(

I guess the news starting now will be which players get protected from the expansion draft and which ones may be let go.

I am sure you will have lots to find for us to absorb and discuss.

Super
10-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Dallas and Colorado both lost. We would've been in today had we won.

jloome
10-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Special thanks to Denime for the news section this morning. No one should have to face all that first thing on a Sunday.

rocktml
10-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Whats this thing that was promised to Cummins?

Lucky Strike
10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the first edition of Off-season Today's News.

Gonna be ugly by mid-February! Everyone will be impatient for 2010's first game to erase this debacle.

Lucky Strike
10-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Dallas and Colorado both lost. We would've been in today had we won.

Or held on to the lead for an extra 60 seconds against SJ. Or just one more small thing from many on the season...

Beach_Red
10-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Special thanks to Denime for the news section this morning. No one should have to face all that first thing on a Sunday.

Agreed. Thanks Denime, thanks for it all season long.

TFC FORZA RPB
10-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Moe's job is safe and TFC has Patient fans

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=-2&id=1410

Beach_Red
10-25-2009, 06:15 PM

You're right, of course. Except, what if that team of only left wingers went into almost every third period with a lead they'd managed to build up and just couldn't hold it in the last five minutes (I'm pro rating the 60 minute game a little here)? Leaf fans know that some left wingers are Bob Gainey and some are Glenn Anderson (wow, I am old ;)) and late in the game with a lead the Bob Gainey left wingers would be playing double-shifts. If they weren't, if they were sitting on the bench, then yeah, people would blame Wilson. He'd blame himself.

Of course, we are long past saying TFC's roster is good enough. Clearly they aren't. the new management (whenever it comes in) will have to make some big changes.

ArmenJBX
10-25-2009, 06:22 PM
People are making it seem like we have no other players in any other positions. We are NOT a team of left wingers. We are NOT a team of midfielders. We need help in defence and strikers, but that doesn't mean we're playing 11 mids at once like some people think.

We need a boost in those two positions. Doesn't mean we have a shit squad. Some players need to leave, and issues addressed. That's all.

jazzy
10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
I partly agree with this but here is one problem (among many) that TFC has always had.

TFC inflates the importance of their mediocre players and stifles their best players.

TFC (management, coaching staff and supporters) have made players like Jim Brennan, Carl Robinson and Marvell Wynne focal points with this team. Guys that you just can't win with, with them at the helm. These guys should be soldiers for you. They should be taking orders, not giving them.

If this team had been built around a player like Amado Guevara or now, JDG, you could have a bunch of "left wingers" so to speak, and still be successful.

The problem is that TFC is reluctant to play this way. TFC doesn't want to look like Seattle who, in their first season, built a ball possession based team and have found success. TFC is stuck in 1985. Kick and run...pace, pace, pace...bullshit.

The reason: Mo Johnston and whoever the hell it was that hired him.

sorry...should have just said that i kind of agree with you Cretan. :D First rant of many, I'm sure. lol

Bang On...if we all can see this....why isn't this addressed?

London
10-25-2009, 07:01 PM
and NE takes the final spot

ArmenJBX
10-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Fuck 2009. 2010's where it's at! Brazil to win the world cup, Toronto FC to win the MLS Cup, Chelsea to win the champions league. I called it right here folks :D

rocker
10-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Steve Nicol does it again............. and this was probably his worst team in terms of talent over the past few years.

Nuvinho
10-25-2009, 07:45 PM
FC Dallas now has the 5th and 6th picks in the MLS Superdraft 2010

JDG
10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/25/sp-cummins-torontofc.html