PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Staff Salary Cap?

Eastend
10-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Good morning my pissed off brothers and sisters.

I understand there is a salary cap on the players, but, is there a cap on coaching staff salaries? I don't think there is so couldn't a top coach (like a DP) be brought in, paid a few million and get him to make this team play like we know they can and should. There is no question we have the talent to play, compete, and win in this league. The core players are there, we just need someone with the ability and experience to put it together.

My <3 aches this morning and this is going to be a long 6 months.

CretanBull
10-25-2009, 09:17 AM
The best caoch in the world couldn't make our unbalanced team work. What a top end coach might do is put pressure on Mo to address the obvious flaws in our side...if any less than 5 or 6 of our main players aren't shipped out this summer it will have been a wasted off-season.

Davenport
10-25-2009, 09:19 AM
The best caoch in the world couldn't make our unbalanced team work. What a top end coach might do is put pressure on Mo to address the obvious flaws in our side...if any less than 5 or 6 of our main players aren't shipped out this summer it will have been a wasted off-season.
Finally...some sense.

troy1982
10-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Good morning my pissed off brothers and sisters.

I understand there is a salary cap on the players, but, is there a cap on coaching staff salaries? I don't think there is so couldn't a top coach (like a DP) be brought in, paid a few million and get him to make this team play like we know they can and should. There is no question we have the talent to play, compete, and win in this league. The core players are there, we just need someone with the ability and experience to put it together.

My <3 aches this morning and this is going to be a long 6 months.

There is no cap on non-playing staff in MLS

massive_magpie
10-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Most top end coaches would expect more control over player moves, which Mo won't give up (in my opinion).

Something tells me most coaches would laugh at the idea of a Salary Cap, and would fight against working within; almost seems better to get a coach from within the league.

But I agree on the money; although we'll (the supporters) be here to the end, in general the ship is starting to take on water and MLSE needs to start patching things up. If the raptors fuck up this year, things are going to get bad in the city.

rocker
10-25-2009, 12:40 PM
most foreign coaches would hate coming to MLS because of the low quality of talent in the league at the bottom half of the roster, lack of basic skills by many American players, and the inability to buy players to solve problems.

Read the "Beckham Experiment" by Grant Wahl, particularly the parts devoted to Ruud Gullit. Gullit is the perfect example of why it doesn't matter how much you pay a coach. Which is why I say it's better to get a coach who's been in the league, understands its problems, but is here for the long haul and wants to make the league work.

Super
10-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't think the answer is to get rid of too many players - because that means we will have to bring in new players and start all over again. We should instead try to keep as many of our players as possible, and hopefully a new coach will be able to better motivate them.

Beach_Red
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Most top end coaches would expect more control over player moves, which Mo won't give up (in my opinion).

Would any "top end" coach in the world put up with a salary cap? With discovery claims? With 'international rostr spots?' With the draft?

prizby
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
1 name
2 words

Guus Hiddnick