PDA

View Full Version : How long til Mo gets fired?

egoodwin
10-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Question of the year maybe

Nuvinho
10-24-2009, 08:31 PM
not for another few years.

GeorgeB
10-24-2009, 08:32 PM
hopefully tonight

egoodwin
10-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Mo-e Johnston Mo-e Mo-e Johnston
- How I love your 5 year "plan"
- etc...

kodiakTFC
10-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Year - Points Record GF/GA/GD

2009 - 39 points 10/11/9 37/45/-8
2008 - 35 points 9/13/8 34/43/-9
2007 - 25 points 6/17/7 25/49/-24

Did we improve?

Toronto Ruffrider
10-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Mo won't get fired - he has pictures of Richard Peddie.

RealG-TFC
10-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Never, he will NEVER get fired. this must be understood.

lufc1919
10-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Mo's feet are well and truly planted underneath MLSE's table

DichioTFC
10-24-2009, 08:53 PM
12 months minimum. And it'll take more than just missing the playoffs to do it.

shwade
10-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Only if we haven't made the playoffs at the end of his shitty 5 year plan.

Beach_Red
10-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Mo won't get fired - he has pictures of Richard Peddie.

How is Peddie's job safe?

TFC07
10-24-2009, 08:54 PM
What is going to take for MLSE to fire Mo?

wzhxvy
10-24-2009, 08:55 PM
I do not think Mo will get fired...wishful thinking. I would like him to be but I think he has finessed himself into a situation with MLSE and his leadership...that he is in a good position for a number of reasons.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-24-2009, 08:55 PM
How is Peddie's job safe?

Do I seriously have to explain my post? It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Huyton
10-24-2009, 08:56 PM
DeGuzman or Dichio...who would you rather have had on the field tonight?

TFC07
10-24-2009, 08:57 PM

Probably Dichio since TFC were playing long ball game tonight.

Gixmo
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Dichio..

and Mo won't be fired, Sorry... He must have someone by the balls there...

Beach_Red
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Do I seriously have to explain my post? It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

No, I get it, but really, how is anyone's job at that company? I know, I know, they make money, they make a profit...

Huyton
10-24-2009, 09:04 PM
The team has enough talent to do much better. There are no better supporters in the league, and grass is coming.

We just need a coach. In a couple of months, there should be plenty of people available, having been let go from any number of Europes better leagues.

So, bring in someone good and make Dichio his 2nd in command.

What's Sven up to?

ua-kozak_TFC
10-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I think it will probably take 2 more playoffless years for that to hapen.. didn;t they extended his contract already behind close doors... :picard: unfortunately anselmi really enjoys MO's bjs...

TheRenter
10-24-2009, 09:14 PM
how people think this whole mess is Mo's doing is beyond me?!......it starts and ends with Cummins....tonite proved it....have a nice night

shwade
10-24-2009, 09:16 PM
how people think this whole mess is Mo's doing is beyond me?!......it starts and ends with Cummins....tonite proved it....have a nice night

And the players? After the second goal they were plain fucking shitty. They need to take the blame for the inconsistency and lack of passion and drive.

ua-kozak_TFC
10-24-2009, 09:18 PM
If nothing is MO's fault then that must mean that he has no obligation. As a Director of soccer... his job is to gather a group of players that are compatible and MAKE a team... we have no team... he had to make Dichio retire in order to sign degusman... Aits year 3 and we don;t a have a "team" all we have is individually skilled players that are not coherent and do not have chemistry and its not due to lack of games together...

ua-kozak_TFC
10-24-2009, 09:21 PM
And the players? After the second goal they were plain fucking shitty. They need to take the blame for the inconsistency and lack of passion and drive.
who signs the players??? who fires them there are some player that have been known to be inconsistent for a few years now... at the end of the day it all comes down to MO if it is a repeating process where we have a poor group of players and a weak team... its the manager;s fault it is no longer year ONE...

FluSH
10-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Mo has rights to at least one more coach.... he won't get fired. He's fuckign done everything the fans have asked him too... I'm still trying to figure out how a DM is our DP? but I mean... people have been drooling over this and MO has delivered...

egoodwin
10-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Mo has rights to at least one more coach.... he won't get fired. He's fuckign done everything the fans have asked him too... I'm still trying to figure out how a DM is our DP? but I mean... people have been drooling over this and MO has delivered...
maybe that's the problem... that he looked at what supporters desired more than what this team actually needed

Beach_Red
10-24-2009, 09:25 PM
maybe that's the problem... that he looked at what supporters desired more than what this team actually needed

That is often a "Toronto problem." It's always easier to give fans favourite players instead of championships.

FluSH
10-24-2009, 09:27 PM

Then you can't really blame the guy... on paper he has delivered...

JDG (got everyone's panties wet)
DeRO (same thing)
Sells Edu for $5Million....

I mean he's made some bad calls with Velez (who used to be a monster in the USL) and Garcia... but on paper... he has delivered the goods.

shwade
10-24-2009, 09:28 PM
who signs the players??? who fires them there are some player that have been known to be inconsistent for a few years now... at the end of the day it all comes down to MO if it is a repeating process where we have a poor group of players and a weak team... its the manager;s fault it is no longer year ONE...

It's the coaches fault if he can't get these -great individually skilled- players to mesh in practice. And it's the players fault if they're playing like they don't give a shit. On paper we've got a pretty good squad and that's on Mo.

FluSH
10-24-2009, 09:30 PM
It's the coaches fault if he can't get these -great individually skilled- players to mesh in practice. And it's the players fault if they're playing like they don't give a shit. On paper we've got a pretty good squad and that's on Mo.

Cummins is not a coach... he was given the opportunity to coach and he took it... I feel bad because he is probably a good development trainer... but as a coach... no.

shwade
10-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Cummins is not a coach... he was given the opportunity to coach and he took it... I feel bad because he is probably a good development trainer... but as a coach... no.

true. more blame needs to be put on the actual 11 on the pitch is what i'm saying.

jloome
10-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Delivering on paper means fuck all though, don't it?

Technically gifted players cannot always be made to perform. You can make a player smarter. But you can't "un-dumb" a player. You can't take a half-witted-but-egotistical professional with good technical ability but no common sense and turn him into a team player.

We have too many such players. That's not Cummins' fault, although he obviously wasn't ready to deal with this.

felipe
10-24-2009, 09:35 PM
wow..I'm agreeing with jloome all over the place tonight - which believe me, is rare for me...

FluSH
10-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Delivering on paper means fuck all though, don't it?

Technically gifted players cannot always be made to perform. You can make a player smarter. But you can't "un-dumb" a player. You can't take a half-witted-but-egotistical professional with good technical ability but no common sense and turn him into a team player.

We have too many such players. That's not Cummins' fault, although he obviously wasn't ready to deal with this.

I got this colleague at work who asks for help whenever he can't do his job... Who does Cummins ask for help? I respect JC more now for leaving and making it known that he couldn't work here under these conditions.... Cummins took the opportunity as interim coach but was obviously above his head...

mclaren
10-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I've said it for a few years here and kept getting shot down for it so I will leave it to others to call for his head.

Gixmo
10-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Agreed Flush.. and I don't understand JDG either... and I though English Rachel was high on drugs with the JDG post, but now that I think of it, Perhaps I was high for not seeing it....

JDG doesn't seem interested, to me...

FluSH
10-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Agreed Flush.. and I don't understand JDG either... and I though English Rachel was high on drugs with the JDG post, but now that I think of it, Perhaps I was high for not seeing it....

JDG doesn't seem interested, to me...

Rachel's post was more about the timing that anything else... if you look at my history about JDG... I've been against his signing since day 2... and I say day 2 because I supported Jack in his initiative at first to bring him over... until I realized more and more what we were in for...

NYRB's MOTM was their DP

I don't think JDG will ever be our MOTM as our DP... not with this team...

Huyton
10-24-2009, 09:48 PM
I would have thought that after the end of the last season of the major european leagues, that someone could have been found to act as a consultant for Cummins for a few games, anyway.

Failing that, surely that would have been a good time to go and get a reasonable lower-league coach. Cummins has been out of his depth for a while.

So, although Mo went and got DeRo and DeGuzman, he also did not go and get a coach.

So, next year will be our fourth year and our fourth coach.

Gixmo
10-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Jack? Jack who...

I'm so pissed my spelling and grammer sucks... ahhh

JDG can't score in FIFA10, I'm topping the charts with my pro.. Draft me TFC!!!

olegunnar
10-24-2009, 09:59 PM
We have a revolving door roster. We have a different coach every year. Constant movement and instability on the bench. 3 years in a row of losing seasons.

The only constant in this shit sandwich is Mo, but he's a made guy in MLSE land and for some reason escapes the axe.

Redcoe15
10-24-2009, 10:11 PM
IMO, Mo has one chance to redeem himself. Get a new coach who will teach the side how to play like a team and stay out of his way. If he can't do that, then sharpen the ax.

jazzy
10-24-2009, 10:14 PM
We have a revolving door roster. We have a different coach every year. Constant movement and instability on the bench. 3 years in a row of losing seasons.

The only constant in this shit sandwich is Mo, but he's a made guy in MLSE land and for some reason escapes the axe.

The problem is noone in MLSE knows soccer, Mo has them by the balls, this is not the rest of the world where soccer is king: listen to all the hockey, football shows etc, noone realy wants soccer to succeed except those wonderful fans, who for the most, parents grew up with the soccer love and passed it on. Who do the money barons, ya your teachers union heads, actually hire to deliver the goods?.... This lends itself to great bullshite promises to deliver, then what?......they only want $$$$$ regardless of the performance....... maybe some players feel this and perform accordingly?

Beach_Red
10-24-2009, 10:59 PM

Some of that is to be expected in an expansion team. And weren't they only offering the coaches one year contracts to start with? By now there should be stability - and the team should have moved past expansion players,too.

gtaguy
10-24-2009, 11:26 PM
we are not an expansion team anymore.. and to top it what the hell is seattle doing in the playoff and not tfc... the ball has been dropped by managment and cummins is not a scapegoat eighter.. Toronto had the opportunity to go ahead of the on many occasions.. Eigtherwise our coaching sucks balls or the team sucks balls... pick one and lets stick to it.. but in my eyes the players that we have point to me that we are a very strong squad and to lose like we did tonight hurts alot.... we might as well not have played ///

THA BUTCHA
10-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Mo needs to by fired cause has has put together an obvious unbalanced team.

Best midfield in MLS
Worst Defence in MLS
next to worst Forwards in MLS.

For success in this league you need a balanced squad.

MOJO Should know this just look at the strongest teams in MLS for the last 4-5 years

MOJO Has not had any success in MLS (He was Terrible in New York aswell)

MOJO IS A LOSER PLAIN AND SIMPLE AND YOU CANNOT HAVE LOSERS ie. people who dont win. IN YOUR ORGANIZATION IF YOU WANT A WINNING ONE.

o I forgot:

HAPPY BELATED ALL CAPS DAY EVERYONE :)

THA BUTCHA
10-25-2009, 12:16 AM
IF MOJO is not Fired soon. I have a feeling this team will be bad for a very long time.

And personally I think the only reason they keep him around is because Paul Bernie is incapable of finding a decent replacement.

BuT I have some advice for Paul. I hope you read this (You probably wont) So maybe everybody put this in their SIG area. So he sees it in every thread he opens.

NO DECENT RESPECTED FOOTBALL COACH WILL EVER WORK UNDER, WITH OR NEXT TO MO JOHNSTON.

ua-kozak_TFC
10-25-2009, 01:02 AM
IF MOJO is not Fired soon. I have a feeling this team will be bad for a very long time.

And personally I think the only reason they keep him around is because Paul Bernie is incapable of finding a decent replacement.

BuT I have some advice for Paul. I hope you read this (You probably wont) So maybe everybody put this in their SIG area. So he sees it in every thread he opens.

NO DECENT RESPECTED FOOTBALL COACH WILL EVER WORK UNDER, WITH OR NEXT TO MO JOHNSTON.

I think you bring out AN EXCELLENT POINT!!! QFT

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-25-2009, 01:15 AM
hopefully tonight

yes Mo went out and played like shite tonight?

the first out the TFC door should be under acheiving DeRo again he failed to produce when the game mattered..send him back to Houston
...player of the year what a joke... the players are the ones that didnt care tonight they must be held accountable not Mo, NOT CC, not the TFC management or MLSE just the Players...and thats just plain the truth.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-25-2009, 01:34 AM
From Day One this Club has needed a CB and Striker...Mo has delivered neither!!!

We have invested in a DP who doesn't score but is here to set them up?!?

Tonight illustrated...spend on a bonifide goal scorer and goals will come! Angel did what you pay him top dollar to do...SCORE FUCKIN' GOALS!!!

MO MUST GO!!! This is his team! Not CC's!!!

We have been sold a bill of goods...LISTEN TO MO TOMORROW!!! LISTEN!!! He's a BULLSHITTER!!!

Roogsy
10-25-2009, 01:39 AM
I am not buying this whole "he did what supporters wanted" bit.

Do you know what supporters wanted from even before the season began? 2 main things.

A true striker/finisher and a stud defender.

Do we have either? No.

So no, Mo hasn't "given us" what we wanted. Yeah...there were murmurs of JDG etc. But one signing doesn't make the wishlist complete.

The ONLY credit I will give Mo this season is signing DeRo...but even that, from what I understand...it wasn't Mo who went out and got him as much as it was DeRo making the move...so the credit there is very, very weak.

This year showed Mo's true weaknesses and if they aren't addressed soon, very soon, we're in for another disappointing season in 2010.

ua-kozak_TFC
10-25-2009, 01:43 AM
yes Mo went out and played like shite tonight?

the first out the TFC door should be under acheiving DeRo again he failed to produce when the game mattered..send him back to Houston
...player of the year what a joke... the players are the ones that didnt care tonight they must be held accountable not Mo, NOT CC, not the TFC management or MLSE just the Players...and thats just plain the truth.
LMAO wow ... yea underachieving... 8 goals our leading scorer yet a midfielder, has scored more goals in a season than dichio... BUT he is underachieving...:picard:
who signs the players? if the players consistenly keep fing up for 3 years in a row... gotta make you wonder the capablities of the individual responsible for choosing the players...

ua-kozak_TFC
10-25-2009, 01:47 AM

Do you know what supporters wanted from even before the season began? 2 main things.

Do we have either? No.

So no, Mo hasn't "given us" what we wanted. Yeah...there were murmurs of JDG etc. But one signing doesn't make the wishlist complete.

The ONLY credit I will give Mo this season is signing DeRo...but even that, from what I understand...it wasn't Mo who went out and got him as much as it was DeRo making the move...so the credit there is very, very weak.

This year showed Mo's true weaknesses and if they aren't addressed soon, very soon, we're in for another disappointing season in 2010.
LOL who is the manager him or the "supporters" lol If all he did was follow the supporter's wishes that shows even more his incompetence...

Toronto_Bhoy
10-25-2009, 01:48 AM

Do we have either? No.

Thanks Roogsy...I can now go to bed!

Torontotonto
10-25-2009, 01:48 AM
:drum:

There's no question in my mind that I would have loved to see DANNY out there tonight, he would have scored or scorched the rest of the boys for there efforts at halftime. Too bad he was forced out by MLSE, who should shoulder all the blame for this disasterous campain. Tennebaum, Pettie, Anselmie, Johnson. These guys should stick to selling condo's and get away from our passion. TFC, Leafs, Raptors.

:drum::flare::scarf::flare::drum:

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES DANNY

NO ONE SHOULD EVER WEAR THE RED #9 AGAIN, SEND IT TO THE RAFTERS...

Shakes McQueen
10-25-2009, 02:04 AM
The goals of most supporters at the beginning of this season, were to win the NCC, and slip into the playoffs. Most of us realistically didn't think we quite had the team to be a serious MLS Cup contender yet.

We almost managed both of those goals, despite the best efforts of our coach and some of our players to derail them.

With a better coach, I think we could have accomplished both. However, as jloome and others have pointed out repeatedly, we don't have a properly balanced team yet, to be a true contender for the trophy.

And if Mo doesn't fix those things this winter, he needs to be out on his ass. I don't blame him for the result today, because we've seen better TFC results against this team this season.

I do think he shares some of the blame for this season as a whole though - some good signings (Gambians, DeRo, JDG, draft picks), but some chaff that needs to be cut (Garcia being the obvious one). And he needs to get a coach who can do the FUCKING job.

I don't think Mo will be fired for this season, so answering the original question is kind of fruitless. I do think he could be fired, if next season starts out looking like another one of these campaigns.

- Scott

Davenport
10-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Then you can't really blame the guy... on paper he has delivered...

JDG (got everyone's panties wet)
DeRO (same thing)
Sells Edu for $5Million....

I mean he's made some bad calls with Velez (who used to be a monster in the USL) and Garcia... but on paper... he has delivered the goods.

On paper he's delivered the goods ?
Are you serious ?

He's built a squad of midfielders.

NO forwards and NO defenders.

That's not delivering the goods. That's leaving them at home.
But still, Johnston won't get sacked.

Anselmi and Peddie know fuck all about the game and they both think the sun shines out of his arse.

stucatz
10-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Year - Points Record GF/GA/GD

2009 - 39 points 10/11/9 37/45/-8
2008 - 35 points 9/13/8 34/43/-9
2007 - 25 points 6/17/7 25/49/-24

Did we improve?

Great post! It is hard not to be critical when Seattle are in 1st year but I was happy with all the signings this year and perhaps a FULL year in 2010 under them will bring success. But yeah out with Cummins and bring in a NON ENGLISH Coach...juts like England did.

menefreghista
10-25-2009, 09:07 AM
I would actually be interested to see the season ticket renewal numbers. I haven't seen them publicized yet.

I bet if the renewal rate was low (say below 90%) Mo Johnston's job would have been in more jeopardy. But with renewal numbers probably above 95%, the club won't give a shit. We'll just be sold more bullshit on a new coach, grass and a full season with our DP. Nothing to see here fans, keep moving along. A lot of the sport entertainment business hinges on selling hope. Getting a new coach will probably be enough hope for enough of the fanbase for frauds like Johnston to keep their jobs, at least one more season.

Alixir
10-25-2009, 09:16 AM
how people think this whole mess is Mo's doing is beyond me?!......it starts and ends with Cummins....tonite proved it....have a nice night Mo could have gone out and got us a compitent coach after carver left.

Davenport
10-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Not another one who knows fuck all about the game.

GeorgeB
10-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Mo isnt going anywhere .he signed a contract extension recently and mlse is not about to fire him now.(eventhough he should be)

FluSH
10-25-2009, 01:25 PM
On paper he's delivered the goods ?
Are you serious ?

He's built a squad of midfielders.

NO forwards and NO defenders.

That's not delivering the goods. That's leaving them at home.
But still, Johnston won't get sacked.

Anselmi and Peddie know fuck all about the game and they both think the sun shines out of his arse.

So Vitti's role is a defender? How about Gerba? Vitti was unfortunately a dud under this system... but he was still signed as a Forward...

Does anyone ever wonder why this man was able to flourish in Dallas but not here:

http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/imgs/bios/photos/fcd_cunningham_bio.jpg

Is gotta be because of Mo... why else? Let's just blame everything on Mo until things are right... in fact... even after Mo leaves let's still blame him... /facepalms

We need a Coach... a real coach... not a change in GM.

canadian_bhoy
10-25-2009, 01:32 PM
The fact that the club is using words like "disappointed" rather than "upset" or "angry" tells you that they are confident that they did the right things this season, but it just didn't work out. Other than Cummins parting company with the club, I don't anticipate many changes in time for next season.

Mo certainly has a lot of questions to answer from my perspective, but I don't think the club views it this way.

1) Why wasn't an adequate replacement found when Carver quit?
2) Why did the club bring in a DP defensive midfielder when we need a striker?
3) Why was Chad Barrett given such a long contract without proving himself?
4) What has Pablo Vitti done to justify a high salary?

FreekAce
10-25-2009, 01:37 PM
think the vitti point is a good one. 300.000 for one goal this season is a shite ROI

VPjr
10-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Who hires the coach? Mo

Who scared away / frustrated away the best coach this organization has had in 3 years (Gansler)? Mo

Who has built a horribly unbalanced squad? Mo

The players are a big part of the problem on this team. The lack of an experienced coach is also a big part of the problem.

BUT

Mo is cancer. Mo must go.

Don't fool yourselves people....No coach worth his salt is going to work for that man unless MLSE literally opens the vault and gives someone with some experience a ludicrously generous guaranteed contract (i.e. the type Ruud Gullit got from LAG) because then, if times are tough, they can get themselves fired the same way Ruud did and run home with bags full of Pension Fund cash.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 01:44 PM
The fact that the club is using words like "disappointed" rather than "upset" or "angry" tells you that they are confident that they did the right things this season, but it just didn't work out. Other than Cummins parting company with the club, I don't anticipate many changes in time for next season.

Mo certainly has a lot of questions to answer from my perspective, but I don't think the club views it this way.

Here is my take...

This is the most important question! Unfortunately, I've seen too many times in sports, where interim coaches are granted the reminder of the year. We don't know what the contract between Cummins and TFC FO was for him to take the interim role... but if you look at Jay Triano... he was interim coach of the Raps for an entire season after the previous coach was sacked...

Blame this on the supporters and eveyone who was drooling over JDG. I mean these boards placed JDG on a peddle stone! Caesar pleased the masses that's what he did... I was one of the few saying that we don't need JDG... not under this system... everyone who wanted JDG should realize this is what we got... and Mo delivered... now what?

This I have no idea... he does work his ass of though, but not enough results for his effort.

Pablo Vitti... scored a goal against TFC during that friendly... he is here under loan unless I stand corrected... nevertheless I don't think his style of play is suited for our team...

FluSH
10-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Also, I don't know how many young Argentinians will be running to come to Toronto for anything less than $300k... If they are any good and not playing in Argentina they can get much more loot in Mexico and be treated like Hollywood stars.

Davenport
10-25-2009, 01:48 PM
So Vitti's role is a defender? How about Gerba? Vitti was unfortunately a dud under this system... but he was still signed as a Forward...

Does anyone ever wonder why this man was able to flourish in Dallas but not here:

Is gotta be because of Mo... why else? Let's just blame everything on Mo until things are right... in fact... even after Mo leaves let's still blame him... /facepalms

Didn't get it did you ?
I mean sign forwards or defenders who can actually play and contribute at this level.
He's signed lots of them, but they're all shite.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Who hires the coach? Mo

Who scared away / frustrated away the best coach this organization has had in 3 years (Gansler)? Mo

Who has built a horribly unbalanced squad? Mo

At some point Cummins should have said.... I CAN'T DO THIS

That is what an honourable individual does. If you can't do your job, you ask for help or tell your boss hey... I can't do this... It's not right for me to try to play coach!!!

VPjr
10-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Also, I don't know how many young Argentinians will be running to come to Toronto for anything less than $300k... If they are any good and not playing in Argentina they can get much more loot in Mexico and be treated like Hollywood stars.

Flush, don't underestimate how many super talented players would like to get out of Argentina (or Brazil, or Uruguay or Chile or Paraguay or Venezuela or etc....) for a lot less money than $300K

The standard between MLS and Mexico's 1st division is quite large. There are alot of very good South Americans in Mexico but there are LOADS more looking for a way out of South America. The chance to make decent money in North America and possibly establish themselves in a country like Canada for their ultimate life after footy should not be underestimated.

The problem is that Mo is not the guy who is going to attract those players. Not a chance.

FluSH
Didn't get it did you ?
I mean sign forwards or defenders who can actually play and contribute at this level.
He's signed lots of them, but they're all shite.

Well, then

I guess every freaking coach in the world signs forwards or defenders that play and contribute well.. no other coach or GM ever ends up with a dud?

Mo Johnston got us Forwards and Defenders... Vitti should have never been playing the way he has... unfortunately he turned out to be a dud under this system... but the play of the game is designed by the COACH.

Davenport

That is what an honourable individual does. If you can't do your job, you ask for help or tell your boss hey... I can't do this... It's not right for me to try to play coach!!!
I wish Johnston would stand up and say. "I can't do this". Because he obviously can't.
He's rebuilt the team 3 times and still they're not good enough !!!!!!!!!
How many more chances does he get ?
For me.....

None.

VPjr

In make believe land, that would happen.

In real life, have you EVER seen that happen?

Davenport
10-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Well, then

I guess every freaking coach in the world signs forwards or defenders that play and contribute well.. no other coach or GM ever ends up with a dud?

Mo Johnston got us Forwards and Defenders... Vitti should have never been playing the way he has... unfortunately he turned out to be a dud under this system... but the play of the game is designed by the COACH.
Cummins was way out of his depth and his strategy, formations and subs were poor.
However, he could only work with the players Johnston signed.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Flush, don't underestimate how many super talented players would like to get out of Argentina (or Brazil, or Uruguay or Chile or Paraguay or Venezuela or etc....) for a lot less money than $300K

The standard between MLS and Mexico's 1st division is quite large. There are alot of very good South Americans in Mexico but there are LOADS more looking for a way out of South America. The chance to make decent money in North America and possibly establish themselves in a country like Canada for their ultimate life after footy should not be underestimated.

The problem is that Mo is not the guy who is going to attract those players. Not a chance.

And people here underestimate the fact that Latin America thinks of Canada as a cold ass place to live! In Fact even Americans still have this perception... fuck my family thinks I am freezing my ass of here all the time...

It's not all about the money... it's the culture... the location and the distance... It is a BIG committment to come here... with or without MO in the picture.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 01:58 PM
In make believe land, that would happen.

In real life, have you EVER seen that happen?

hmmm Carver?

rocker
10-25-2009, 02:23 PM
hmmm Carver?

haha.. good answer... some people seem to have forgotten this season. I guess that's natural, since it wasn't successful..... but Carver did the honorable thing.

ag futbol
10-25-2009, 02:42 PM
hmmm Carver?
Ask John Carver where his career is going these days.

If you consistantly hire losers which prevent you from accomplishing your goals as an organization, you are not the person who should be in charge.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Ask John Carver where his career is going these days.

If you consistantly hire losers which prevent you from accomplishing your goals as an organization, you are not the person who should be in charge.

That's a different topic all together... some people stay at their jobs and fake the funk like they know what they are doing... others actually man up and ring the alarm bells when they are way above their heads... Fortunately this is just sports... a team... a season lost... however at times it's more than that:

Walkerton Scandal:

The water supply for the town of Walkerton was operated by the Walkerton Public Utilities Commission, with Stan Koebel as manager and Frank Koebel as water foreman. Neither had any formal training in their position...

and we all know how the rest went...

Dirk Diggler
10-25-2009, 02:48 PM
hmmm Carver?

Even if we are to take everything at face value, Carver took a season and a half (almost) to come to that decision. Knowing that, Cummins would have been a fool if he decided not to take advantage of a potentially good situation and stall his career development. Also, even if Cummins decided to quit when it became obvious that he is in over his head, would it not have been too late in the season anyways? No one would have quit a job this late in the season to take over the head coaching duty here in Toronto.

jloome
10-25-2009, 02:51 PM

We have four defensive midfielders and No wingers. ANd you think he should come back? :facepalm: Indeed.

VPjr
10-25-2009, 02:52 PM
And people here underestimate the fact that Latin America thinks of Canada as a cold ass place to live! In Fact even Americans still have this perception... fuck my family thinks I am freezing my ass of here all the time...

It's not all about the money... it's the culture... the location and the distance... It is a BIG committment to come here... with or without MO in the picture.

South American players ply their trade in places like Ukraine, Finland, Russia, Denmark, etc. etc.

The distance IS an issue. The fact that this is not a country where Spanish is the 2nd language (unlike los Estados Unidos) IS an issue.

But I contend that, given good money (but 300K) you can get people up here with little trouble. You just need the right contacts. Mo has not proven to have those.

VPjr
10-25-2009, 02:53 PM
hmmm Carver?

You don't actually believe Carver quit, do you?

You are smarter than that...I know that.

ag futbol
10-25-2009, 02:57 PM
We're not talking about Walkerton and peoples lives here, we are talking about coaching a MLS team as you stated. Cummins is still better off for taking that job regardless of how this played out.

But as you said this is a seperate issue. Cummins accepting a job does not render Mo Johnston blameless.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 02:58 PM
South American players ply their trade in places like Ukraine, Finland, Russia, Denmark, etc. etc.

The distance IS an issue. The fact that this is not a country where Spanish is the 2nd language (unlike los Estados Unidos) IS an issue.

But I contend that, given good money (but 300K) you can get people up here with little trouble. You just need the right contacts. Mo has not proven to have those.

Vitti was actually on loan in Ukraine I believe... anyhow the only bonus on playing in Finland, Ukraine, Denmark, etc is that you are actually playing in "Europe" where they may have the possibility of catching the eyes of the other Big European Countries... There is a certain prestige just to say that you are playing in Europe in SA.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
We're not talking about Walkerton and peoples lives here, we are talking about coaching a MLS team as you stated. Cummins is still better off for taking that job regardless of how this played out.

But as you said this is a seperate issue. Cummins accepting a job does not render Mo Johnston blameless.

I'm trying to break it down and be real about this...

and you've said it... Cummins is better off for taking the job... not TFC. Fulfilling personal gains over team gains. I'm sure there was some talk about building culture and a winning team mentality in the locker room...

FluSH
10-25-2009, 03:02 PM
We have four defensive midfielders and No wingers. ANd you think he should come back? :facepalm: Indeed.

fck no... are you kidding me? Have you not seen me post how much I hate Cunningham... you missed the coaching point completely.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 03:03 PM
You don't actually believe Carver quit, do you?

You are smarter than that...I know that.

I've heard many things... and unless it's exposed that he was made to resign.. then to me he quit the team for his reasons...

jloome
10-25-2009, 03:04 PM
fck no... are you kidding me? Have you not seen me post how much I hate Cunningham... you missed the coaching point completely.

"HE" refers to Mo Johnson, not Cunningham. And players in the Ukraine make more than most players in every league except the top three. It's one of the perks of playing there.

FluSH
10-25-2009, 03:06 PM
"HE" refers to Mo Johnson, not Cunningham. And players in the Ukraine make more than most players in every league except the top three. It's one of the perks of playing there.

and I'm not doubting that... there has to be an incentive for playing there... and that incentive is more $$$

So what incentive are we giving SA players to come to Canada? This is what I'm trying to get at here.... I mean to think people just want to get out of South America like's it's some kind of war camp is pretty naive...

Bobo
10-25-2009, 03:14 PM
think the vitti point is a good one. 300.000 for one goal this season is a shite ROI

Vitti had 2 goals I think but not one came off his foot LOL. I try to like him, but this guy was a baaaad signing. There is no hope for this dude's career.

As for Mo, Anselmi has his back, so his job is safe.

ensco
10-25-2009, 03:31 PM
You can't succeed in life when absolutely every around you hates your guts. Even if you've done some good things. Plus Mo's moves this year were universally terrible.

When you make a move on the King, you have to kill him. Dichio staying was a mortal wound to Mo. He can't survive it. Anselmi will figure this out soon, probably in a couple of weeks, once decent coaching candidates start laughing at the idea of taking the TFC coaching position with Mo still there.

wzhxvy
10-25-2009, 03:34 PM
yes ensco aka Machievelli :-) Not only do you have to kill the king but all his loyalists...somehow however...I dont think Mo needs a lesson from us on these types of matters.

jloome
10-25-2009, 03:34 PM
The risk is that it takes Anselmi more than a few weeks, and in the meantime, the potential roster of coaches gets smaller.

There's also the possibility Mo has already conned poor John Spencer to take over this mess, in which case the crap will continue, because the best coach on earth isn't going to win missing half his key components.

Beach_Red
10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
You can't succeed in life when absolutely every around you hates your guts. Even if you've done some good things. Plus Mo's moves this year were universally terrible.

When you make a move on the King, you have to kill him. Dichio staying was a mortal wound to Mo. He can't survive it. Anselmi will figure this out soon, probably in a couple of weeks, once decent coaching candidates start laughing at the idea of taking the TFC coaching position with Mo still there.

Wasn't TFC already laughed at when they first joined the league and offerd practically nothing and only one year contracts? Do we have any idea how many guys turned the job down then? When the assistants from the first year left their contracts were up right? So they were offered one year contracts and they chose not to stay. Was it because of one guy or the organization? What offers were made to them? (there were also some rumours that they had serious issues about living in Canad/Toronto and family stuff).

Now the team is well-established enough to offer decent money and longer-term contracts. It should help increase the pool, but people (agents, really) will watch to see how the organization treats the people who were willing to do he job under those terms.

jloome
10-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Watch the video of Anselmi on the site. Watch his eyes when he gives Mo the vote of confidence.

wzhxvy
10-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I noticed that too...he knows his ass is next so MoJo is not an automatic

jloome
10-25-2009, 03:50 PM
I suspect he'll get one more year, based on the argument that, with grass in place, his one biggest staff impediment is gone.

It might be a fair argument. But it won't change the fact that both Carver (the press box issue) and Cummins (promises were made) are leaving now making veiled public statements that the team has dealt duplicitously with them.

Mo already had that rep before coming here. That shit has to end, or we'll never have the morale needed to win.

I think he should be fired now. I imagine Anselmi will look at the bottom line, and, like most generally cautious corporate types, jump to the illogical conclusion that the GM was essential to that. Or, he may actually feel Mo did fair work of some sort on getting the grass paid for, so he deserves one year with a good pitch to see if he can now attract players to fill our key positional/character weaknesses.

Roogsy
10-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Shit...if it's the bottom line they are most concerned about, just give the supporters Mo's paycheck since we have had more to do with their monetary success than Mo has.

I don't have ANY confidence Mo can bring in a quality coach. With the bad rep he has and the control he wants to have, the only coaches that will even consider entertaining coming here are the ones wanting to make a name for themselves, not ones that already have. Especially since one with a proven track record would wind up being a threat to Mo to begin with.

I am not hopeful.

VPjr
10-25-2009, 04:07 PM
There is a certain prestige just to say that you are playing in Europe in SA.

can't argue with you there. That is true but there is such a huge number of professional players plying their trade in South America for essentially survival wages (if they get paid at all) that it should be possible to extract at least one or two good players (of the quality of RSL's Espindola) who can have a significant impact.

Roogsy
10-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Well...footballers are paid because of their talent with their feet, not their brain. Playing in Europe because of the "prestige" is boneheaded. A football career is over so quickly that you need to maximize your earnings each year, not hope to the stars that because you play in back-country Ukraine or freeze-your-tit Norway somehow it will lead to a contract in the EPL, Primera or Serie A. In the meantime, your career gets shorter every day and every year.

S_D
10-25-2009, 04:15 PM
I suspect he'll get one more year, based on the argument that, with grass in place, his one biggest staff impediment is gone.

It might be a fair argument. But it won't change the fact that both Carver (the press box issue) and Cummins (promises were made) are leaving now making veiled public statements that the team has dealt duplicitously with them.

Mo already had that rep before coming here. That shit has to end, or we'll never have the morale needed to win.

I think he should be fired now. I imagine Anselmi will look at the bottom line, and, like most generally cautious corporate types, jump to the illogical conclusion that the GM was essential to that. Or, he may actually feel Mo did fair work of some sort on getting the grass paid for, so he deserves one year with a good pitch to see if he can now attract players to fill our key positional/character weaknesses.

unfortunately I agree. He will still hang around for at least another year although he should already be cleaning out his desk as far as I am concerned.

Hustle
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I noticed that too...he knows his ass is next so MoJo is not an automatic

I really hope you guys are right here...I hope Anselmini isn't dumb enough to think his job isn't at risk as the seats continue to empty. MLSE spent alot of cash this year, and they better realize there is a systemic cancer at play here that will suck there money dry.

Carts
10-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Sadly, Cunningham... :facepalm:

Carts...

TFC USA
10-25-2009, 06:48 PM
DeRo may be the worst player ever to wear a TFC jersey. Seriously this DeRo hating (especially from mighty, who is making giambac look like Jesus Christ) is enough.

Now for Mo. He has to go if this offseason is shitty.

ArmenJBX
10-25-2009, 06:51 PM
DeRo may be the worst player ever to wear a TFC jersey. Seriously this DeRo hating (especially from mighty, who is making giambac look like Jesus Christ) is enough.

Now for Mo. He has to go if this offseason is shitty.

What the hell is going on here!? When did everyone start hating De Ro!? Are you nuts!!! He's scored 11 goals this season alone. He's our best player hands down. What the fuck people...

shwade
10-25-2009, 08:08 PM
What the hell is going on here!? When did everyone start hating De Ro!? Are you nuts!!! He's scored 11 goals this season alone. He's our best player hands down. What the fuck people...

he was mocking mightytfc..dude can't stop hating on Dero