PDA

View Full Version : Ljungberg gives some love to TFC

BallardSounder
10-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Those with Seattle hatred might want to just skip to the last paragraph, where he gives props to TFC and the fans.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=688532&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

Blazer
10-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, I think it's obvious that he wants to be a Red next season. Start the rumour!

Lucky Strike
10-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Those with Seattle hatred might want to just skip to the last paragraph, where he gives props to TFC and the fans.

I don't know if that's Seattle's impression, but TFC isn't really in with the whole ACES thing that seems to have infested the league.

Shep
10-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I liked freddie as a gunner, and I appreciate him even more as an emcity player, glad he's on the continent...aside from the fact his first goal was in our net :(

ensco
10-23-2009, 04:35 PM
That is an insightful article about MLS.

All the longball, and the dirty tackling, those are real issues.

Bobo
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Good read! The whole article I mean.

jloome
10-23-2009, 05:59 PM
That is an insightful article about MLS.

All the longball, and the dirty tackling, those are real issues.

The longball and lack of buildup is a large consequence of the weakness in youth-level coaching over here compared to there, and the fact that kids there are groomed from an early age to play tactically.

The consequence here isn't just hoofing: it's the near-inertia of many players off the ball, where in any other league, they'd be moving into space or to support.

guelphguy1965
10-23-2009, 06:12 PM
It is so true with this style of long balls and chasing. I been coaching my sons house league for many years and it drives me nutts when I see coaches of other teams make one of their better players stay up high in offensive side of pitch and let everybody else hoof the ball to him so he can score on 'break away' like hockey. I don't mind it when they do it once in a while because it is a part of the game sometimes but some coaches do it as the only playing tactic. I feel sorry for other players because they never get to play soccer the way it is meant to be.
Ok I vented enough its time for nap :-)

Dirk Diggler
10-23-2009, 06:13 PM
The longball and lack of buildup is a large consequence of the weakness in youth-level coaching over here compared to there, and the fact that kids there are groomed from an early age to play tactically.

The consequence here isn't just hoofing: it's the near-inertia of many players off the ball, where in any other league, they'd be moving into space or to support.

Bang on ... off the ball movement is such an essential part of the game that unfortunately is overlooked on this continent. That is something that I assume will improve as the overall quality of the sport increases over here.

trane
10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
^ agreed.

TFCRegina
10-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Not a fan of Seattle, but am a fan of Ljungberg. Guy is pure class, Beckham could take some lessons.

Canary Canuck
10-23-2009, 10:30 PM
He even says Kansas City has the best pitch in the league. Not bad for a baseball stadium

Roogsy
10-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Man that was a great blog. I hope MLS pays attention, I suppose the only way they will pay attention is when someone with the credibility of Ljundberg speaks up. When we fans say it, they disregard what we say.

We also went to Toronto in the cold of March and the fans were behind their team like it was the middle of summer. When you're building this league, support like that has a high value. You can't create fans like that. It was nice to see that the fan base was so strong. I've had a great welcome in all of the cities around the league and love playing here.

Respect Freddie!

ochos
10-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Great article, great player, and right about everything... hopefully more players like him will come. When he scored that goal at BMO I realized what class of player this team was missing.. hopefully by next year with the grass pitch we will be attracting players like him.

Cashcleaner
10-24-2009, 12:53 AM
^ Agreed. Ljungberg is a great example of the sort of DP acquisitions we need more of in MLS. Had a little chuckle at his remark about the quality of KC's pitch. :D

v00d00daddy
10-24-2009, 07:32 AM
nice to hear from Ljungberg but this brings to light something very frustrating.

why couldn't TFC try to build a team with Seattles mentality. Ljungberg is happy that his team does not play kick and run. Ljungberg realizes that it's nice for Sounders fans to get to watch attractive football.

Oh yeah...and they're also on their way to the playoffs.

So fucking frustrating!

koryo
10-24-2009, 08:15 AM

I don't think you'll find anything in the way of Seattle hatred 'round here Ballard.

Now Columbus and the Shite Bulls are another story...

Eastend
10-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Initially I went and just read the last paragraph. Then, I read the comments on here about the whole article so I obviously had to go and read the whole thing. Very good article and I look forward to his next. High profile players like this can help force the necessary changes to help MLS move to that next level......

Now, I'm sure he can afford the fines so his next blog, once the season is over, should be addressing the officiating in this league.....

stay cool.

Super Cereal
10-24-2009, 10:11 AM
This isn't the first time Ljunberg has said nice things about Toronto either, IIRC.

Pure class.

Bobo
10-24-2009, 11:07 AM
nice to hear from Ljungberg but this brings to light something very frustrating.

why couldn't TFC try to build a team with Seattles mentality. Ljungberg is happy that his team does not play kick and run. Ljungberg realizes that it's nice for Sounders fans to get to watch attractive football.

Oh yeah...and they're also on their way to the playoffs.

So fucking frustrating!

Agreed, but on the other hand, as he said, you can't create fans like us. Couldn't possibly be a dig at his own fan base could it?

rocker
10-24-2009, 01:31 PM
at least that KC baseball stadium has something good going for it! never would have thought it would have the best grass. Although when you think about it, that's the outfield in baseball, so it's probably hardly been run on... three outfielders standing around out there isn't gonna cause much of a prob.

Cashcleaner
10-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Initially I went and just read the last paragraph. Then, I read the comments on here about the whole article so I obviously had to go and read the whole thing. Very good article and I look forward to his next. High profile players like this can help force the necessary changes to help MLS move to that next level......

Now, I'm sure he can afford the fines so his next blog, once the season is over, should be addressing the officiating in this league.....

stay cool.

QFT. It's hard for the major sports media outlets to ignore suggestions and legitimate criticisms when its coming from the most recognizable players on the continent. Keep the blogs coming, Freddie.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-24-2009, 03:09 PM
"You can't create fans like that"

Amen to that!

NOw Freddie do us a favor and beat dallas!:)

TFCRegina
10-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Freddie's dream is a Seattle-TFC final.

v00d00daddy
10-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Agreed, but on the other hand, as he said, you can't create fans like us. Couldn't possibly be a dig at his own fan base could it?

I'm too concerned about the fans. Really...I could care less about how good our support is. If the product on the field continues to be bad, it will be a moot point.