PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,Oct.23

denime
10-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Mornin'

TFC’s playoff possibilities positively mind-boggling (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/playoff+possibilities+positively+mind+boggling/2134029/story.html)

TFC coach springs to Robinson's defence (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/22/spf-soccer-robinson.html)

Match Preview: Toronto v. New York (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091022&content_id=7526854&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

drek
10-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Morning D

Eastend
10-23-2009, 07:06 AM
This could be trouble, from the Match Preview:

FINED NEXT YELLOW CARD: NY: Danleigh Borman, Dane Richards ... TOR: Chad Barrett, Jim Brennan, Dwayne De Rosario, Nick Garcia

CoachGT
10-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Found this gem this morning....

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/jeff-cunningham-deserves-2009-mls-most-valuable-player-award/6754

Cunningham for 2009 MLS MVP! Who'da thunk it!

Redpunkfiddle
10-23-2009, 07:41 AM
This could be trouble, from the Match Preview:

Normally they would be suspended for a game due to yellow card accumulation. So it looks like that slate is wiped clean for the playoffs, and they replace it with a fine as a disincentive.

Oldtimer
10-23-2009, 07:47 AM
So Danny D is confused by the playoff calculations? All he has to look to is the RPB master thread!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17674&page=8

Redcoe15
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Found this gem this morning....

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/jeff-cunningham-deserves-2009-mls-most-valuable-player-award/6754

Cunningham for 2009 MLS MVP! Who'da thunk it!
:puke:

DOMIN8R
10-23-2009, 11:22 AM
"As we know, the Leafs aren't doing so well right now. We wish them all the best to get back on track with their season, but a lot of the sports fans in Toronto are paying attention to us," De Rosario said.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/23/sp-dwayne-deroasrio.html

GBV
10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
brief mention here in steve simmons's column today, reflecting on 30 years:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2009/10/23/11497611-sun.html

C.Ronaldo
10-23-2009, 12:17 PM
"As we know, the Leafs aren't doing so well right now. We wish them all the best to get back on track with their season, but a lot of the sports fans in Toronto are paying attention to us," De Rosario said.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/23/sp-dwayne-deroasrio.html

damn str8 they are

wzhxvy
10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I am surprised no one commented on this...I hope we win tomorrow but I cant let this go. Did you read the Robinson article.

James says this about Robinson : "A problem on the horizon for Carl … is that word on the street suggests he can be negative behind the scenes, particularly towards management," wrote James who, like Robinson, was born in Wales."

This is CC's response: "He's [suggesting] that Carl Robinson is a bad apple in the dressing room, he's a poor character, he's not getting on well with management," Cummins said. "I have to tell you, it's a complete lie."

Is this for real ? I mean CC continues to try to feed us absolute rubbish. He takes the James story and twists it, that its somehow a reflection on Carl Robinson's character. You think we are stupid Chris ? The story was clearly about how he is out of favour and hence not likely to return BECAUSE he spoke about management behind closed doors. Shameful twisting of words is all I have to say. You think you can stand up there and act like you are defending Carl when in fact you are calling him names that no one other than you has called him !!!!

Please please...lets get some quality people in here next year, that say what they mean, and mean what they say.

Beach_Red
10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
^ Speaking out against management is always a tough thing to do right. Especially during the season. (I work on a team of writers on a TV show and we had our problems with management, but speaking out - especially to journalists - while the show was in production would not have gone over well).

olegunnar
10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I am surprised no one commented on this...I hope we win tomorrow but I cant let this go. Did you read the Robinson article.

James says this about Robinson : "A problem on the horizon for Carl … is that word on the street suggests he can be negative behind the scenes, particularly towards management," wrote James who, like Robinson, was born in Wales."

This is CC's response: "He's [suggesting] that Carl Robinson is a bad apple in the dressing room, he's a poor character, he's not getting on well with management," Cummins said. "I have to tell you, it's a complete lie."

Is this for real ? I mean CC continues to try to feed us absolute rubbish. He takes the James story and twists it, that its somehow a reflection on Carl Robinson's character. You think we are stupid Chris ? The story was clearly about how he is out of favour and hence not likely to return BECAUSE he spoke about management behind closed doors. Shameful twisting of words is all I have to say. You think you can stand up there and act like you are defending Carl when in fact you are calling him names that no one other than you has called him !!!!

Please please...lets get some quality people in here next year, that say what they mean, and mean what they say.

I agree it's total bullshit spun by CC and his boss Mojo.

Here's the blurb Paul James wrote I defy anyone to infer from this blurb that Robbo is a cancer. To me the egregious part of the article is when James calls Robbo a good passer.

"It is too late for this year as Robinson’s season has been cut short due to injury which is unfortunate. While often devalued by some fan segments who tend to view soccer teams in idealistic terms (using rose coloured glasses) Carl really does provide the perfect balance for a team laden with artist-type mentalities if not abilities. The need to play him at the back should have first and foremost been a collective requirement based on the lack of personnel to get the job done in this key area. Even though he was not as comfortable with the idea, over time I am sure he would have enjoyed the role and responsibility that goes with it. A good passer of the ball with good vision he is as tactically as bright as anyone in the league. A strong/tough personality brings a fighter mentality to the team which is a requirement if you expect to win. A problem on the horizon for Carl though is that word on the street suggests he can be negative behind the scenes particularly towards management which tends to not be good for career prospects. Carl being a leader will have strong opinions and so it is how you deal with him which is critical or otherwise a mistrust develops. If Carl goes, all sides lose."

wzhxvy
10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
In response to Beach: I agree and we can debate the merits of speaking against management and whether its effective or not.

My issue is not with that but with CC's response to this. The story was that Carl was critical behind closed doors and that is why he is not returning to TFC. My issue is with Chris spinning and flipping this around to make it all about Carl and in a back handed and pretty transparent way critisize his character.

Its either intentional twisting or really shows a lack of communication and reasoning skills...one or other..because that quote from Chris sure did not help Carl.

olegunnar
10-23-2009, 12:48 PM
There's kind of a pattern here.

Jimmy B (uncertain future)
Robbo (gone)
Dichio (shown the door)
DeRo

Looks like all the experienced guys have had their run ins with management and DeRo is the only one allowed to speak out against management without being shown the door..

wzhxvy
10-23-2009, 12:57 PM
^ agreed. And CC thinks he is doing the right thing by his "supportive/friendly act"...oh DD can't fly (translate he is old and done)...and Carl is not a cancer (translate I am the only one who said those words)...

Has it not yet dawned on CC that he will be the next casuality and only his personal credibility is at risk here...

Beach_Red
10-23-2009, 01:03 PM
^ agreed. And CC thinks he is doing the right thing by his "supportive/friendly act"...oh DD can't fly (translate he is old and done)...and Carl is not a cancer (translate I am the only one who said those words)...

Has it not yet dawned on CC that he will be the next casuality and only his personal credibility is at risk here...

What are his options, really? He's got to finish the season. Anything other than a friendly/supportive "act" would only open up a can of worms that couldn't possibly help the team today.

So far all CC has said is that he was asked to finish out the season. For all we know he's lined up another job somewhere else once the season ends. But he has to make his best effort while he's here.

Redcoe15
10-23-2009, 01:30 PM
brief mention here in steve simmons's column today, reflecting on 30 years:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2009/10/23/11497611-sun.html
Anyone watch TSN The Reporters? The fat, evil bozo uses hair in a spraycan to cover up his baldspots. What a pathetic loser!

johnmolinaro
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
In response to Beach: I agree and we can debate the merits of speaking against management and whether its effective or not.

My issue is not with that but with CC's response to this. The story was that Carl was critical behind closed doors and that is why he is not returning to TFC. My issue is with Chris spinning and flipping this around to make it all about Carl and in a back handed and pretty transparent way critisize his character.

Its either intentional twisting or really shows a lack of communication and reasoning skills...one or other..because that quote from Chris sure did not help Carl.

A few things on this.

1) I think Chris turned it around on Paul James, suggesting that he was questioning Carl's character, because Chris honestly believes that's what James was doing.

2) I asked Chris point blank if Robo is a negative influence and whether or not he has questioned management in a public way behind the scenes.

Chris's answered "absolutely not".

3) I can tell you that Robo was indeed grateful for Chris speaking out the way he did because he thought, like Chris did, that James was questioning Robo's character.

I can also tell you that Carl was very upset about what Paul James wrote - not the big part where James extols his virtues and how he would be a big loss for the club - but he was upset about the part about him being negative behind the scenes and not being shy about sharing his displeasure at times with management.

John

ginkster88
10-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Funny... I thought Robbo's family had moved to Canada with him.

v00d00daddy
10-23-2009, 01:48 PM
A few things on this.

1) I think Chris turned it around on Paul James, suggesting that he was questioning Carl's character, because Chris honestly believes that's what James was doing.

2) I asked Chris point blank if Robo is a negative influence and whether or not he has questioned management in a public way behind the scenes.

Chris's answered "absolutely not".

3) I can tell you that Robo was indeed grateful for Chris speaking out the way he did because he thought, like Chris did, that James was questioning Robo's character.

I can also tell you that Carl was very upset about what Paul James wrote - not the big part where James extols his virtues and how he would be a big loss for the club - but he was upset about the part about him being negative behind the scenes and not being shy about sharing his displeasure at times with management.

John

Good to know. That being said...who really cares?

As far as I can tell both Cummins and Robbo will soon become distant TFC memories.

I was never a big fan of Paul James but when he was given his walking papers for not towing the company line, I immediately liked him a bit more.

This all seems like useless spin.

wzhxvy
10-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the added clarity John. I have to accept your point if you say that Chris thought he was helping Carl. It did not come accross that way to me but fair enough.

I had heard previously that Paul James was not a TFC FO favourite, and the reaction(s) maybe a reflection on that. But I do not see how Paul was being negative about Carl...that is how it may have been interpreted but I do not think that is fair either.

rowan
10-23-2009, 01:53 PM
apparently it was cold at the Sun...

sidvan
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
James is still pissed at losing all those games due to Lombardo being an illegal player

johnmolinaro
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the added clarity John. I have to accept your point if you say that Chris thought he was helping Carl. It did not come accross that way to me but fair enough.

I had heard previously that Paul James was not a TFC FO favourite, and the reaction(s) maybe a reflection on that. But I do not see how Paul was being negative about Carl...that is how it may have been interpreted but I do not think that is fair either.

No worries about providing clarity. I've had problems with Chris this year, but I don't think it was fair that he was catching flack for this, and I just felt the record had to be set straight.

As for what Paul James wrote, I have to say I can understand why Carl is miffed. I'm not sure I would be pleased if someone wrote or said about me that I was a good employee but that my outspokenness and public critique of management might jeopardize my future, especially if I felt that I wasn't outspoken at all on such matters.

Like everything else, this will blow over eventually.

John

olegunnar
10-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Not trying to nit pick but no one said Robbo was critical of management in public.

johnmolinaro
10-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Not trying to nit pick but no one said Robbo was critical of management in public.

meant to say critical of management behind the scenes.

olegunnar
10-23-2009, 02:44 PM
meant to say critical of management behind the scenes.

Gotcha.

ensco
10-23-2009, 02:49 PM
This is not correct, as Abel Xavier would say.

Isn't commenting on this Mo's job?

Even if Mo isn't doing his job, for whatever reason, doesn't Cummins have other things to worry about?

jloome
10-23-2009, 06:02 PM
This is not correct, as Abel Xavier would say.

Isn't commenting on this Mo's job?

Even if Mo isn't doing his job, for whatever reason, doesn't Cummins have other things to worry about?

Gee, with such an obvious stirling character, I'm amazed Mo didn't field a hot potato.

Beach_Red
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Gee, with such an obvious stirling character, I'm amazed Mo didn't field a hot potato.

If he had, though, wouldn't people have said he'd undermined the coach and meddled in the dressing room?

It seems this is the definition of the coach's job and this one handled it very well. I don't really see what people are upset about here.